Columbia to offer course credit for attending Occupy Wall Street

posted at 6:05 pm on January 2, 2012 by Tina Korbe

Hmm. I don’t seem to recall news that an Ivy League University offered a course about the Tea Party, but I’m sure I must have just missed it. The Internet is a vast and cavernous space, after all. Nevertheless, it’s true: Columbia University plans to offer a new class all about the Occupy movement — taught by Hannah Apel, an Occupy veteran. CBS New York reports:

The course begins next semester and will be divided between class work at Columbia’s Morningside Heights campus and fieldwork that will require students to become involved with the Occupy movement outside of the classroom.

The course will be called “Occupy the Field: Global Finance, Inequality, Social Movement” it will be run by the anthropology department.

Appel is a staunch defender of the Occupy movement, in her blog she said that, ““it is important to push back against the rhetoric of ‘disorganization’ or ‘a movement without a message’ coming from left, right and center.”

Appel told the New York Post that while her involvement with the movement will color the way she teaches it will not prevent her from being an objective teacher.

Can we please dispense with the academic and journalistic pretenses of objectivity? Again and again, I ask: What not just own the bias?

At any rate, this doesn’t surprise me, but it still manages to disappoint me. Why not a class on “popular protest movements” — team taught by a Tea Partier and an Occupier? Or, better yet, why not no such nonsensical anthropological class at all? Plenty of college graduates still don’t know the basics of history, philosophy, literature, mathematics and the rest of the subjects that comprise a classically liberal education.

It’s just Jan. 2, and we already have a story to rival “The Top 10 Outrageously Dumb Campus Moments of 2011.” Looks like 2012 will be a very blog-worthy year.

Comments

meh. they’re overrated.

Flapjackmaka on January 2, 2012 at 6:08 PM

WELL, IT’S COLUMBIA…FOR GAWDS SAKES!

KOOLAID2 on January 2, 2012 at 6:10 PM

Will the class have its own bail fund and will that be included in tuition? Will there be a rape-free section in the classroom? Will bongs and bongos be provided or is that an extra requirement?

Grunt on January 2, 2012 at 6:11 PM

College education is overrated,
just like a high-school diploma

burrata on January 2, 2012 at 6:12 PM

“class all about the Occupy movement — taught by Hannah Apel, an Occupy veteran”

Resume builder for a lib.

hillsoftx on January 2, 2012 at 6:12 PM

it will be run by the anthropology department.

I’m glad our federal tax dollars is being used to prop up people like this. I won’t be shedding a tear for professors like Appel when the higher education bubble finally bursts.

ZGMF_Freedom on January 2, 2012 at 6:13 PM

“Appel” is German for grifter. True fact.

I am going to form a party of horsemen to take the role of mounted police officers who will then…uh…”break up” the occupier gatherings during role-play exercises.

Anyone want to join, I will provide horses.

Bishop on January 2, 2012 at 6:13 PM

Will NYPD cruisers be provided to the ” students” for a field experience ?

burrata on January 2, 2012 at 6:14 PM

Finally, a class where I can fine-tune my ability to crap on police cars.

Sign me up!

Good Solid B-Plus on January 2, 2012 at 6:14 PM

Extra credit for defecating on cop cars and Joo-baiting?!

Rixon on January 2, 2012 at 6:16 PM

“Professor, I need to use the bafroom!”

-Nah, just go over there in the corner.

Bishop on January 2, 2012 at 6:17 PM

Actually, there is a lot to be learned by attending, and talking to these protesters. Attending Occupy camps is not just for journalists any more. We should all go, and have a talk. Can we talk?

Skandia Recluse on January 2, 2012 at 6:20 PM

Take-home open book final exams, no doubt. That’s the Columbia Way!

Del Dolemonte on January 2, 2012 at 6:20 PM

A course in subversion. Nice. What’s most impressive is that there is an expectation to profit and gain materially from it.

ericdijon on January 2, 2012 at 6:21 PM

The left is desperate to add credibility to their failing movement.

Translation: We must conceal the truth at all costs!!!

darwin on January 2, 2012 at 6:21 PM

Again and again, I ask: What not just own the bias?

Because that would defeat the purpose, Tina. The goal here is not to inform, educate, or provoke critical thinking about an issue. The goal is to indoctrinate. But it’s much more difficult to indoctrinate someone if they are aware that is your goal. By maintaining the pretense of “objectivity”, universities and the media are able to much more easily draw in the gullible masses and spoon feed them a particular point of view.

The sad part is that there is still a large swath of our population that accepts the idea that academia and the news media are objective and have no agenda.

Shump on January 2, 2012 at 6:22 PM

All applicants will be checked for lice and ticks . If they test negative, they will be rejected and advised to reapply when they can test positive for atleast one of them

burrata on January 2, 2012 at 6:23 PM

The same Columbia that gace Ahmedinejad an honorary doctorate? Oh, wait, that hasn’t happend yet? It will.

they lie on January 2, 2012 at 6:23 PM

So many anti-American organizations in the US.

The democrats

Unions

Our colleges and universities

The media

Hollywood

Some religious affiliations

It’s mind boggling how effective communist propaganda is.

darwin on January 2, 2012 at 6:24 PM

$50,000 a year.

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on January 2, 2012 at 6:24 PM

Extra credit for extra tracks on your arms.

Bishop on January 2, 2012 at 6:25 PM

–anybody know a student there? We can see if there are registrants for the class.
–a”veteran” of a movement that is only four months old?
–she is a post-doc in Global Thought? Huh?
–oh, I get it, BO’s alma mater. Axalplouffe probably wrote the syllabus with Ayers’ help.

Ugh!

herm2416 on January 2, 2012 at 6:27 PM

Again and again, I ask: What not just own the bias?

Shump on January 2, 2012 at 6:22 PM

Exactly, exactly…e x a c t l y!!!!!!!!

KOOLAID2 on January 2, 2012 at 6:28 PM

ZGMF_Freedom on January 2, 2012 at 6:13 PM

According to the Columbia Website, the Anthropology Department is part of the Arts and Sciences unit. It’s an entirely plausible concern that money intended for science research is being diverted via overhead to purposes for which it is not intended.

Columbia should be required to demonstrate–under real scrutiny–that such is not the case. In fact, why not require universities to split their federally funded research into separate administrative units? Ditto for other universities.

gs on January 2, 2012 at 6:31 PM

So when is Obama’s terrorist pal Khalidi starting a course on jihad ?

burrata on January 2, 2012 at 6:31 PM

Columbia gave a degree to Meghan McCain. Who cares what they do?

unclejack on January 2, 2012 at 6:31 PM

So the OWS crowd is upset that they can’t get jobs — so I guess this course will be the magic elixir.

rbj on January 2, 2012 at 6:36 PM

I’m a capitalist and therefore I applaud Columbia for doing this.

Think about it, some guy in the admissions office created a plan to tap into the angst of a bunch of rich kids by offering a real, live chance to be an “Occupier” complete with college credits.

It’s like offering movie-themed toys in Happy Meals while uber popular kids movies are in the theater; it’s smart business.

Bishop on January 2, 2012 at 6:37 PM

quid pro quo

jt

jersey taxpayer on January 2, 2012 at 6:39 PM

This just further marginalizes the value of a college education, especially an ivy league education. If I were a parent of a Columbia student, I would demand a refund and pull my kid out of that rotten place!

GeorgiaBuckeye on January 2, 2012 at 6:41 PM

Columbia needs to change its name. Phillis Wheatley’s poem dedicated to General George Washingon uses Columbia as a name for the United States of America. The university shames the name.

jazzuscounty on January 2, 2012 at 6:43 PM

If you are an employer, would you POSSIBLY be interested in people who take such classes??

michaelo on January 2, 2012 at 6:45 PM

I thought an Ivy League school like Columbia specialized in graduating future fat cats and 1%ers. Slight conflict of interest there fellas. It is a microcosm however of how we got here and where we are headed.

Right Ayn?

fogw on January 2, 2012 at 6:46 PM

Bishop on January 2, 2012 at 6:37 PM

That would be fine for the rich kids whose parents throw their money away on that garbage, but what about the kids paying for Columbia with student loans – and how many of those won’t get paid back?

GeorgiaBuckeye on January 2, 2012 at 6:47 PM

Imagine if there was no Columbia.
It isn’t hard to do.

Electrongod on January 2, 2012 at 6:52 PM

Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds. Discuss.

Seth Halpern on January 2, 2012 at 6:54 PM

If they are real OWS’ers they will be too lazy to attend class or they will get someone else to go in their place.

docflash on January 2, 2012 at 7:05 PM

The Occupy Veteran teaching this class has probably been through some pretty scary stuff. Harassed a lot of cops, done a lot of drugs and destroyed a lot of property.

Roymunson on January 2, 2012 at 7:08 PM

I have told my young son that he does not *have* to attend college as he’s been told by just about everyone (including myself at one time). That is, unless he wants to specialize in a certain profession such a medicine or law. He can succeed in life if finds a trade he is passionate about, works hard perfecting that skill and one day owns his own business. Hopefully that will still be true in our country 15 years from now.

Nikkia2112 on January 2, 2012 at 7:13 PM

Are they going to teach about Columbia’s massively massive endowment that keeps piling up while they charge students hundreds of thousands of dollars to attend – tuition increasing at triple the rate of inflation.

Besides the government, these universities are about the greediest entities I can think of and their purpose is to segregate out the rich and privileged from the commoners.

I hope the Occupy people destroy them.

forest on January 2, 2012 at 7:18 PM

Wow, pathetic. I hope their alumni association has something intelligent to say in response to Columbia cheapening the value of their degree.

Midas on January 2, 2012 at 7:21 PM

Roymunson on January 2, 2012 at 7:08 PM

Don’t forget pooping in public. Flexing your buns to squeeze one out on a cop car is a major resume builder for these folks.

Midas on January 2, 2012 at 7:22 PM

Will crapping on the floor in the corner of a classroom mean extra credit?

Will the students sit at desks or will each have their own “class tent?”

Are drums furnished or do students have to buy their own?

So many questions. I wonder if I can get some kind of grant from the NoBama gubmint. Always did want to take some highly-intellectual course at one of them Ivory League colleges.

Horace on January 2, 2012 at 7:23 PM

That you pundits do not know this is why we are in twable

RAGIN CAJUN on January 2, 2012 at 7:28 PM

I’m a student at Indiana University – Bloomington (which is, admittedly, not Ivy League), and I just finished a class on the Tea Party, with the idea being studying grass roots movements. We actually did a fair bit of work comparing the OWS movement to the Tea Party.

FlareCorran on January 2, 2012 at 7:29 PM

“I will never”

“I will never”

“Pay back any”

“Pay back any”

“Of my student loans”

“Of my student loans”

fogw on January 2, 2012 at 7:30 PM

I keep telling my kid to forget university (Canadian, eh?) and study what he wants by reading and researching and going into business – any business. Post secondary education now is a complete and total waste of his youth.

pos4thst on January 2, 2012 at 7:33 PM

I gave this as a Christmas present to a few indoctrinated college kids. A volume 2 is definitely in order.

redridinghood on January 2, 2012 at 7:36 PM

You try finding a Tea Partier on the Columbia campus. Or, for that matter, anywhere on Manhattan Island.

bgoldman on January 2, 2012 at 7:38 PM

Hmmmmmm……….sounds like another feather bed job for one of the ‘elite intelligentsia’. I suppose the course instructor will be able to justify her pay.

GarandFan on January 2, 2012 at 7:56 PM

Bishop on January 2, 2012 at 6:13 PM

She said she was unbiased, right?

So as long as you do it well, you should get as good a grade as any of the agitprop trainees get.

logis on January 2, 2012 at 7:57 PM

Ug. I just signed up for Genital Appreciation, so I’m loaded.

Maybe I can still drop it …

Axe on January 2, 2012 at 8:07 PM

I have a degree in Pooping In A Public Park. Hire me??

Future Columbia University Graduate

TN Mom on January 2, 2012 at 8:10 PM

So — “anything re. people” is anthropology now? It was a discipline heavy on natural history, pedantic definitions notwithstanding. It sounds now like a giant umbrella for what used to be “ethics” — but what happened to ethics?

You know what? I don’t even want to know. Change that question mark to an exclamation point. Add incoherent swearing.

Axe on January 2, 2012 at 8:43 PM

the OWS octopus float at the rose parade.

redridinghood on January 2, 2012 at 8:48 PM

These people need to be instructed at college level in how to be unemployable / unemployed? Wow, talk about leading a sheltered life!

Things that can’t go on forever, won’t. (Sigh)

ss396 on January 2, 2012 at 8:50 PM

So I guess the classroom won’t have any chairs, but plenty of stool.

TugboatPhil on January 2, 2012 at 9:27 PM

The Occupy movement is still around?

adamcr on January 2, 2012 at 10:57 PM

This is why college students, in part, are coming out more dumb than ever after they graduate.

Nothing about this is relevant to life. Oh wait, neither is most other studies required for a degree….

TX-96 on January 2, 2012 at 11:39 PM

$55,000 in debt and a major at Columbia in this dingbat’s Global Thought Education will certainly get you a spot in next summer’s OWS!

MNHawk on January 3, 2012 at 6:28 AM

How is this class going to actually prepare a student for a job when they graduate? Why are parents still sending their kids to this institution? They better save some of that tuition money for bail.

Kissmygrits on January 3, 2012 at 9:09 AM

Sign up for ‘Public Urination 101?’
How about ‘Introduction to Cop Cruiser Loaf Laying?’

TimBuk3 on January 3, 2012 at 9:29 AM

Bishop on January 2, 2012 at 6:17 PM

You made me think of this scene in Dirty Rotten Scoundrels. Ruprect would make a great OWSer.

GWB on January 3, 2012 at 10:21 AM

This just confirms for hiring managers that a degree from Columbia is worthless. Columbia grad/OWSer career highlight – “I have a degree in Victim Studies from Columbia – would you like fries with that?”

dentarthurdent on January 3, 2012 at 10:40 AM

Professors have fairly wide discretion over what elective classes to offer. It’s too bad since it makes colleges look bad when things like this happen. That said, no one is going to require anyone to take this so-called class. I’m amazed that there are students who waste their time on such things. Using the resources of a university to get a good education is the responsibility of the student.

GeorgeStanton on January 3, 2012 at 11:18 AM

will drumming be a course requirement.. along with $itching , whining, and sexual assault? but that just suspiciously sounds like a synopsis of dorm life.

it’s the new narcissism borrowed from the 60s- college work dedicated to You the most important historical personage evah.

we should pretend to be homeless and force our way into class to drink 40 ounces, have bum fights, go through our shopping carts full of old newspapers and broken knick naks, and perhaps some napping. oh yeah and we’ll steal their stuff.

at the time i thought- people of a certain generation are totally going to put defecating out of doors at OWS on their resumes. i forgot that just like the hippies they would also have academentia behind them to load up on the whimsical basket weaving-esque bogus courses. (only at least basket weaving is a useful and attractive folk craft requiring skill that produces something of worth.)

mittens on January 3, 2012 at 1:10 PM

This diversion helps keep the focus off the nice little retirement scam they have going.
at everyone else’s expense. clever actually

MrMoe on January 3, 2012 at 3:02 PM

The Ivy League schools continue to fuel their growing mediocrity and irrelevance.

jeanie on January 3, 2012 at 3:25 PM