Bachmann: Never mind Iowa, I’m in it for the long haul

posted at 4:05 pm on January 2, 2012 by Tina Korbe

One reason I’ve been eager and impatient for the Iowa caucuses is that I assumed at least a couple candidates would reconsider their presidential bids based on the results. But that looks to be increasingly improbable. Mitt Romney and Newt Gingrich are too viable to be discouraged by early upsets, Rick Santorum is poised to exceed expectations, Ron Paul has never been deterred by his unlikelihood to secure the nomination, Rick Perry considers Iowa to be the equivalent of the first mile of a marathon and Jon Huntsman says New Hampshire picks presidents. That leaves Michele Bachmann, who has clung to her August Ames Straw Poll victory as evidence that she has support in the Hawkeye State that isn’t reflected in the current polls. If that turns out to not be true — and she finishes, say, last or something — will she drop out? No way, she says. The Daily Caller’s Alex Pappas reports:

During an appearance on MNSBC’s Morning Joe, Bachmann said her campaign has “already bought our plane tickets. We’re headed to South Carolina as soon as we’re done on Wednesday morning. We’ll be there. We’re going the distance.”

Bachmann won the Iowa Straw Poll in August, but suffered a fall hard as the campaign season went on. The most recent Des Moines Register poll shows her in last place, with 7 percent.

“This isn’t over,” she said. “We’re not here for a post mortem. We’re here because I intend to continue to launch our campaign out of Iowa. I think we’re going to do very well.”

It’s hard to say just why Bachmann fell; as a candidate, she didn’t change from August to now. My best guess: Whereas her attacks on Tim Pawlenty resonated in some way at the time, her attacks on anybody and everybody but Mitt Romney ever since then have apparently begun to pall. They leave voters with the impression that she stands against liberalism even more than she stands for conservatism. Her congressional record of “no” votes just underlines that impression. If Gingrich’s conservative credibility has been undermined somewhat by his superabundance of ideas and refusal to defend himself, then Bachmann’s has been undermined by her lack of them and by her negativity toward her fellow competitors. In this GOP primary, voters — like Goldilocks — are really, really looking for just right … and not quite finding it.

Comments

I think her campaign is just too far down at this point to have any chance of coming back. Her poll numbers are moving, meaning that none of those undecided Iowans have, so far, chosen her as their candidate. I think she might drop out this week– she says she’ll be “in it for the long haul” because if she doesn’t, people may not vote for her, fearing she won’t be in much longer and they would be wasting their vote. We’ll see :)

This is my blog: http://nextgenerationvoters.com/. I’m a teenage conservative and I’d love your thoughts on it!

NextGenerationVoters on January 2, 2012 at 4:08 PM

They give credence to the rumor that she is in Romney’s pocket which might also explain why she isn’t going to drop out yet. She may still draw support from other conservative candidates clearing the way for Romney and reap the expected reward in the end.

sharrukin on January 2, 2012 at 4:09 PM

Desperately trying to latch onto Romney’s coattails.

mythicknight on January 2, 2012 at 4:09 PM

It’s hard to say just why Bachmann fell

Two words: Gardasil conspiracy.

GeorgiaBuckeye on January 2, 2012 at 4:11 PM

Long haul?
Like after a super tuesday or something?

KOOLAID2 on January 2, 2012 at 4:12 PM

Desperately trying to latch onto Romney’s coattails.

mythicknight on January 2, 2012 at 4:09 PM

I think you’re right. But I also think that it’s too soon to have another female VP. Some people already see Bachmann as a Palin-wanna-be, and making her VP this time would make it seem so even more.

NextGenerationVoters on January 2, 2012 at 4:13 PM

I don’t know. Bachmann strikes me as the type who might just stay in and keep fighting. I don’t know what her financial situation is, but I can’t see her throwing in the towel this early, even if the results in Iowa are bad. If nothing else, hanging around longer might give her more of a chance to make the case for herself as a VP pick.

Shump on January 2, 2012 at 4:14 PM

She lost me when she became a Vaccine Truther.

NbyNW on January 2, 2012 at 4:18 PM

Bachmann has pretty much guaranteed that she won’t be re-elected to Congress. She’s hoping for a job in Romney’s administration.

NoNails on January 2, 2012 at 4:19 PM

Fat Libertarian predicts Iowa;

#1 – Paul.

#2 – Santorum.

#3 – Romney.

But it won’t matter because I think the delegates are divided up. It matters to Gingrich, Bachmann and Perry. They might be done.

fatlibertarianinokc on January 2, 2012 at 4:20 PM

there is no incentive to drop out. If she stays in until february
she gets federal funds. she will still have the debates.

they will all stay in thru the florida primary. after this I think you will see some drop outs, not before

gerrym51 on January 2, 2012 at 4:22 PM

I`m thinking: 7 P.M. on the Fox News Channel……… “The Bachmann Beat!”

ThePrez on January 2, 2012 at 4:22 PM

fatlibertarianinokc on January 2, 2012 at 4:20 PM

gee, waht a surprise about your winning order

gerrym51 on January 2, 2012 at 4:23 PM

Romney is paying her off to stay in the race and split up the anti-Romney vote. Maybe she has been promised a VP spot, although I doubt she will get it. She’s just too stupid to know she is getting played by the political sleazeballs at Romney’s camp.

ModerateMan on January 2, 2012 at 4:23 PM

My best guess:

Gardasil.

Never go full retard.

Purple Fury on January 2, 2012 at 4:23 PM

Bachmann is hoping for a position in the Obama administration by ensuring Romney will be the nominee and then lose to Obama.

csdeven on January 2, 2012 at 4:24 PM

If she tanks in Iowa, she’d be foolish to stick around. Is there any state where she’s polling in the top 3? What possible path does she have to the nomination anyway?

Doughboy on January 2, 2012 at 4:24 PM

gee, waht a surprise about your winning order

gerrym51 on January 2, 2012 at 4:23 PM

I just know that Paul has more passionate support and think that can throw him over the top.

fatlibertarianinokc on January 2, 2012 at 4:24 PM

Bachmann is done. Fini.

And no veep or cabinet post. Just done. Teh crazy don’t sell.

M240H on January 2, 2012 at 4:25 PM

I like Michele, but she doesn’t have the right type of experience.

Dack Thrombosis on January 2, 2012 at 4:25 PM

At the risk of drawing fire for mentioning the name, Gov. Palin on Cavuto’s show just said, in essence, that it may be time for Huntsman and Bachmann to drop out.

Just Sayin on January 2, 2012 at 4:25 PM

Palin on Fox just said to Eric Bolling that Huntsman and Bachmann need to get out of the race….after Iowa.
LOL!!!!

coach1228 on January 2, 2012 at 4:27 PM

Mini Me Michelle, did ya know shes’ a tax lawyer, will stay in as chicken chit Mitts attack poodle, until Mitt tells her its all over, she earned her payoff of campaign debt, and a cushy job in DC if he wins!

She’s clearing the field for Romney!

ConcealedKerry on January 2, 2012 at 4:30 PM

NextGenerationVoters on January 2, 2012 at 4:08 PM

Wow!!! I’m very impressed. You go girl.

I would love to see Ed link you to the HA blogroll.

JPeterman on January 2, 2012 at 4:30 PM

The Palin endorsement, when it comes, is going to be huge. It will help unite conservatives and bring in the $$$. I think she’ll wait for South Carolina before she does anything.

Utica681 on January 2, 2012 at 4:30 PM

Bachmann was an attack dog from the start. She went hardest on Rick Perry because he stole her thunder when she won the Ames Straw Poll and he announced his candidacy on the same day. He was a hit in Iowa the next day and she acted like a prima donna, arriving late, needing special lighting, etc.
Now she’s staying for a change at VP, I’m sure Mitt is going to pay off her campaign debt and she’ll endorse him. But she’ll stay for now to attack Perry for Mitt.

carolt2 on January 2, 2012 at 4:31 PM

It’s hard to say just why Bachmann fell

Two words: Gardasil conspiracy.

GeorgiaBuckeye on January 2, 2012 at 4:11 PM

She lost me when she became a Vaccine Truther.

NbyNW on January 2, 2012 at 4:18 PM

I tend to agree. I like Bachmann, she infuriates the exact people who need to spend the rest of their days in abject misery and impotent helplessness. (think Chirs Matthews…) I tend to agree with her on the issues, however the quickness that she latched on to the whole crazy vaccine/retardation nexus was alarming. It’s too bad, had she been electable she would have made many leftist heads explode.

V7_Sport on January 2, 2012 at 4:31 PM

NextGenerationVoters on January 2, 2012 at 4:08 PM
Wow!!! I’m very impressed. You go girl.

I would love to see Ed link you to the HA blogroll.

JPeterman on January 2, 2012 at 4:30 PM

Thanks so much!! I’d love that! :)

NextGenerationVoters on January 2, 2012 at 4:32 PM

Good for Palin. She is right. I wish Santorum would drop too.

jazzuscounty on January 2, 2012 at 4:33 PM

Palin doesn’t fool me. Huntsman is now tied for 3rd in NH with her boyfriend Gingrich, who is talking about her as a VP, which means guess what boys, Palin is afraid of Huntsman in NH.

Meanwhile you all trip out yourself to explain how Bachman could stay in, while crapping all over Huntsman. You are all jokes here at HA.

SuperBunny on January 2, 2012 at 4:33 PM

Yes Palin is right. Let’s skip all primaries and just have one vote, for Palin. Whomever she picks is the nominee. Mmmkay? Good. Thought so.

SuperBunny on January 2, 2012 at 4:34 PM

SuperBunny on January 2, 2012 at 4:34 PM

Take your meds.

The thread is about Bachmann and Iowa.

sharrukin on January 2, 2012 at 4:36 PM

*shaking the head*

cmsinaz on January 2, 2012 at 4:37 PM

You are all jokes here at HA.

SuperBunny on January 2, 2012 at 4:33 PM

Uh huh uh huh huh uh huh. That means you, too.

yubley on January 2, 2012 at 4:39 PM

LOL!!!!

coach1228 on January 2, 2012 at 4:27 PM

Well, Huntsman should wait til New Hampshire since his entire primary strategery revolves around that state. But I agree that if Bachmann finishes in 6th place in Iowa as is likely to be the case, she has no business being in this race.

Doughboy on January 2, 2012 at 4:39 PM

Bachmann: Never mind Iowa, I’m in it for the long haul

Sure, sweetheart, you are… *Rolls eyes*

TheRightMan on January 2, 2012 at 4:43 PM

I’m concerned this might be the GOP Establishment’s own 2012 version of Rush Limbaugh’s 2008 “Operation Chaos”.

Perhaps this is just the not-unusual “I’m in it” cheer right before throwing in the towel. In any case, I hope Bachmann and others (Huntsman, Paul) quit sooner than later.

The perfect is the enemy of the good. Dump Obama in 2012!

Czar of Defenestration on January 2, 2012 at 4:45 PM

TheRightMan on January 2, 2012 at 4:43 PM

cmsinaz on January 2, 2012 at 4:46 PM

Palin indicated that Hunstman and Bachmann would have to kick in their own money to stay longer in the race because donations dry up when you finish poorly. She really dissed Hunstman for dissing Iowa for not really trying there.

karenhasfreedom on January 2, 2012 at 4:47 PM

Perry, Santorum, and Gingrich are all staying in so as to deny Bachmann the nomination.

Men are pigs!

csdeven on January 2, 2012 at 4:47 PM

She had potential, but once the campaign started she showed how batchit crazy she is. First hiring that dipchit, Rollins. Then it was Gasrdisil. Then it was obvious she was Romney’s blitch. To think I contributed to her campaign before she declared. She might not get reelected to her house seat. Give it up, Michelle.

they lie on January 2, 2012 at 4:49 PM

I like Michelle,but if I hear the canned resume(tax lawyer,25 kids,etc.) one more time,I’ll rip my ears off.She needed to strike when the iron was hot, with a economic reform bill,like the Fair Tax or something.I don’t need her running down the competion,let me do that,I need her offering solutions.

SMACKRUNNER on January 2, 2012 at 5:08 PM

Utica681 on January 2, 2012 at 4:30 PM

Hate to burst your bubble, but Palin’s sell by date has expired. I don’t think her endorsement means a whole lot at this point. At one time I was a Palin supporter, but I think once you become a tv celeb., most average folks don’t take you too seriously.She may have a cult following, but I doubt that she could even be elected dog catcher in Alaska, let alone POTUS. Worse thing that ever happened to her was being on the ticket with a senile old socialist. She also cooked her goose by campaigining for him and supporting him for his Senate reelection. That showed me and lots of others she was nothing more than a political ho. And spare me the loyalty crap when you Santorum haters use his support of Specter over Toomey against him. Regarding that ruse, I would like to inform all of you neophytes that there has never been a sitting Senator to not support another incumbent senator of one’s own party for reelection. Even the conservative Jim Demint and his PAC will not oppose an incumbent Republican senator for reelection in a primary. Unfortunately, it’s the way the club works. That’s why I do not contribute to the Republican Senaatorial Committee fund.

they lie on January 2, 2012 at 5:08 PM

OT
Michigan State and Georgia in OT
I’ve had a stroke…my arm is numb…and the gurney is coming!
Go green…go white!

KOOLAID2 on January 2, 2012 at 5:10 PM

SuperBunny on January 2, 2012 at 4:33 PM

I neeeded a laugh.

katy the mean old lady on January 2, 2012 at 5:10 PM

I doubt you’ve seen the last of Palin,and if we have,this party’s seen the last of me! How we can backstab our own people,is the reason we can’t come up with decent candidates who are’nt up to their eyeballs in $%&T!

SMACKRUNNER on January 2, 2012 at 5:21 PM

Wow, you’re so right. I think it is also too soon to have another male presidential nominee. /

Gimme a break. The right candidate is the right candidate, regardless of whether they are male or female. I’m not saying it’s Bachmann, but the fact that she is female is not the reason.

athenanyc on January 2, 2012 at 5:26 PM

I liked Michelle where she was. Throwing bombs and driving libs crazy. Shoulda stayed there.

bluealice on January 2, 2012 at 5:29 PM

Agreed. Her mean-spiritedness is one the main reasons I turned against her. You can make your point against your opponent without accusing him of infanticide.

Anyway, if you have to tell an audience that you are a serious candidate, you are most likely not a serious candidate. If you have to proclaim loudly that you are in it for the long haul….you are probably dropping out right after Iowa.

ZGMF_Freedom on January 2, 2012 at 5:30 PM

I used to like Bachmann. Not anymore. She is being used by the Romney people to split the conservative vote. She should “suspend” her campaign like Herman Cain did to get the matching funds if she can’t finish in the top 5 in her home state, which is very conservative state to boot. If she does I might gain some respect back for her.

Maybe after the election she can go work for Romney in his administration. I think an excellent position would be as Mitt’s tax attorney when Mitt becomes CEO of Burger King.

KMav on January 2, 2012 at 5:43 PM

At this point the only person served by Bachman is Romney. And as that becomes clear she’ll drop into Harold Stassen territory (another fine Minnesota Republican).

graydo on January 2, 2012 at 5:43 PM

Go home, Michelle.

Citizen-003528 on January 2, 2012 at 5:50 PM

sharrukin on January 2, 2012 at 4:09 PM

The reason to support her was always her conservative credentials. So when it appears she’s trying to help notably un-conservative Romney win the nomination, why exactly should anyone vote for her?

tom on January 2, 2012 at 6:18 PM

tom on January 2, 2012 at 6:18 PM

I am getting more cynical the more I see of these people and I wasn’t exactly an optimist to begin with.

sharrukin on January 2, 2012 at 6:21 PM

I think highly of Michelle Bachmann, but if we split the conservative vote too many ways, a RINO will win even in places like South Carolina.

I would prefer to see Bachmann switch her focus to becomming the next Speaker of the House. Elect enough Tea Party candidates to the House, and it could happen.

ITguy on January 2, 2012 at 6:57 PM

Tina put out another hit piece on Bachmann. Pathetic.

apocalypse on January 2, 2012 at 7:05 PM

Bachmann: Never mind Iowa, I’m in it for the long haul

Is Michele Bachmann the John Edwards of 2012?

[ "Hey Willard, I'll split votes and run interference for you like Edwards did for Obama back in '08. Just make sure I get a Cabinet position instead of the grand jury indictment that Edwards got in the end" ]

I’d like you to compare Bachmman’s actions in recent months to the behavior of John Edwards back in 2008, when Edwards realized he could not be the Democrats’ nominee for president…but was delusional enough to believe he might be the VP nominee, or at the very least a Cabinet appointment; in quid pro quo, Edwards stayed in the presidential race to draw votes away from Hillary Clinton so that Barack Obama could be the nominee. Obama — much to the delight of many Hillary supporters — screwed Edwards over, quite royally, in the end…and the agenda-driven media FINALLY started reporting on Edwards’ misappropriation of campaign funds to conceal his mistress and love child. The reporting, of course, happened only after Edwards could no longer be any use to Obama.

Read more http://hillbuzz.org/is-michele-bachmann-the-john-edwards-of-2012-2012

Green eyed Lady on January 2, 2012 at 7:17 PM

NextGenerationVoters on January 2, 2012 at 4:08 PM

Very nice work NGV.

I wish I knew more kids with half your spunk!

eyesky on January 2, 2012 at 7:25 PM

Mrs. Bachman’s campaign was doomed the minute she followed Ed Rollins advice.

Her natural constituency were Palin voters among other tea party voters and she started her campaign attacking Palin.

Then she over reached on Perry and never recovered.

NVA Patriot on January 2, 2012 at 7:28 PM

Tina Korbe on Jan 2, 2012 4:05 PM

Well, you people need to open up your third eye, OK. Stop with the “Hmm, I wonder why did Michele Bachmann fall” garbage and finally see what’s going on in this world. Bachmann hasn’t changed one thing since she WON the Iowa Straw Poll in August, and, yet, she’s last in the traitor news media polls. What changed? Nothing! This is pretty much going according to plan of the establishment who lurk in the shadows.

My best guess:

Real talk. You’re scared of Karl Rove.

apocalypse on January 2, 2012 at 7:29 PM

NextGenerationVoters on January 2, 2012 at 4:08 PM

Very nice work NGV.

I wish I knew more kids with half your spunk!

eyesky on January 2, 2012 at 7:25 PM

Thanks so much!!

NextGenerationVoters on January 2, 2012 at 7:32 PM

Yeah, keep the MSM guessing on the candidate of the week.

I keep hearing from friends, co-workers, and the MSM saying that the Republican candidates are weak. Okay, as compared to whom? Barack? Who can’t hit homeplate on the fly, while wearing soccer mom jeans, in between 4 million dollar golfing vacations, all the while apologizing to world for America’s exceptionalism?

Where’s Barry’s executive, business, and military experience? Where’s Obama’s transcripts? Where’s his Aunt Zeituni and Uncle Omar? Where’s the MSM when it comes to asking just simple questions of the Messiah?

Thank you MSM for your outstanding journalistic malpractice.

racquetballer on January 2, 2012 at 8:18 PM

In this GOP primary, voters — like Goldilocks — are really, really looking for just right … and not quite finding it

Because the one they want to vote for is not officially on the ballots.

Like Rush said, 5 letters – P A L I N