Alan Colmes: The way Santorum dealt with the death of his child sure was crazy

posted at 4:45 pm on January 2, 2012 by Allahpundit

You’d think liberals would want to pull their punches against Santorum until he’s built up enough momentum nationally to complicate life for Romney, yet here’s Colmesy throwing an uppercut straight to the groin. Pure instinctual ideological bloodlust? Or … is this actually a sly bit of jujitsu in which AC, through a calculated display of jerkiness, forces the viewer to sympathize with Santorum, thus giving him another little boost before tomorrow night? It’s good cop/bad cop co-starring Rich Lowry. Fiendishly clever!

No, I kid. Obviously, it’s bloodlust. That’s the first clip; the second clip, via the Right Scoop, has Santorum talking about his son’s death a few months ago in an interview with Piers Morgan. I don’t know where Colmes is getting the idea that they brought the baby’s body home to “play with it.” They brought him home because they wanted his siblings to understand that they had had a brother who’d lived and died. Seeing him with their own eyes and having a few hours together as a family would bond them to his memory in a way that nothing else would. It’s not what most parents would do, but it’s not “crazy.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5 6

The American people do. You’re naive if you think not.

CW on January 2, 2012 at 7:06 PM

My “who gives a damn” comment was rhetorical. I was pointing out the extreme misplacement of priorties by the American people. The guy is dangerous because of his view of the world and America. Beside that, race issues should be irrelevant.

fadetogray on January 2, 2012 at 7:18 PM

OTOH, Alan Colmes career. is. over.

Key West Reader on January 2, 2012 at 7:03 PM

Do you really think so? I’d like to think there would be a backlash but considering the some of the remarks here, I just don’t know anymore. I believe he has a radio show, I would think it would be felt there first.

Cindy Munford on January 2, 2012 at 7:18 PM

It doesn’t seem right because you are perhaps not as sure it is strange as you assert. If you truly did think it was strange, you’d be stoking the fires like Daikokuco did.

unclesmrgol on January 2, 2012 at 7:08 PM

i still think its strange behavior from santorum…
this whole story stinks. playing politics with politicians dead child children is wrong. and this is what i dont like of colmes attack.

nathor on January 2, 2012 at 7:19 PM

But to address the above point, what is the context in which he’s saying it? What were the preceding questions? Were they discussing the AA community beforehand? Would it have been entirely appropriate in this situation to be discussing the AA community.

You really aren’t helping yourself or Paul by playing by the liberal handbook of selective race card dealing.

kim roy on January 2, 2012 at 6:50 PM

You could watch the video, and it would give you at least a little context.

thphilli on January 2, 2012 at 6:54 PM

My point is to examine the context before opening up The Liberal Handbook and hurling out race cards.

That’s all. I personally don’t care because my pearls and I aren’t offended by what he said in any context.

kim roy on January 2, 2012 at 7:20 PM

Somewhere, Sean Hannity is on both knees giving thanks he no longer has to deal with the inanity that is Alan Colmes

Jason Gillman on January 2, 2012 at 7:20 PM

rubberneck on January 2, 2012 at 7:16 PM

We have gone way off topic but I was thinking blight. I think the video you linked absolves him, especially the sweeping arm gesture and the “all of you” remark.

Cindy Munford on January 2, 2012 at 7:21 PM

Alan Colmes has always been kind of a jackass with attacks like these. He’s always the party apologist, always doing gutter snipe attacks (similar to the way that Lawrenece Odonnel does it) where he only cares about getting the inflammatory attack out and not really proving or backing it up. Sad he went this route. I am pretty sure that Alan Colmes would have defended anything brought about John “who cares if my wife’s got cancer” Edwards and the way he handled the death of his kids. In fact, I bet if we look hard enough he will be found defending those accusations at some point on Hannity and Colmes all those years back.

Sammo21 on January 2, 2012 at 7:21 PM

Actually the universe in which Alan Colmes lives is easy to describe. Colmes is a liberal. He believes that alone gives him the right to sit in judgement of others.

Yoop on January 2, 2012 at 7:21 PM

Imagine an America where abortion is outlawed.

I have, multiple times.

A baby miscarries or dies shortly after birth. How do you prove that it wasn’t deliberate?

It’s the same process used to determine that it was deliberate.

People who have abortions are monsters who have no problem with abortion.

Agreed. You give me the impression you are one of those.

What makes you think they’d have a problem with causing miscarriages to themselves?

I don’t think they’d have a problem with it.

Either you accept it and allow them to sabotage and kill their babies by new alternatives to abortion,

I don’t accept it.

or you put teeth to the law, which means throughly investigating for any wrongdoing for ANY baby that dies before or during the birthing process.

Daikokuco on January 2, 2012 at 6:19 PM

Ok. Now please provide sufficient competent evidence that Mrs. Santorum has done this.

If you can’t, you have answered your question:

And doesn’t this means that by Santorum’s own standards, his wife should be charged with manslaughter?

Her stillborn child remains an act of nature.

May God provide comfort to the Santorum’s – and to all those that have expressed they have experienced same in this thread – for their loss.

rukiddingme on January 2, 2012 at 7:25 PM

I don’t have an issue with him doing this. Is it something *I* would have done – I honestly don’t know and hope to never have to cross that bridge.

RedNewEnglander on January 2, 2012 at 7:28 PM

Funny, how indignant Colmes gets when Rich Lowry interrupts him repeatedly. Colmes is usually the worst offender, filibustering the other guests when they try to make their arguments. Great to see him get a taste of his own, bitter medicine. I also liked how little Lowry tried to hide his utter disgust with Colmes. There’s obviously no love lost between those two! The best segment I’ve seen including Colmes in a long time!

RRFCL on January 2, 2012 at 7:30 PM

Who gives a damn if he is or is not a racist?

fadetogray on January 2, 2012 at 7:03 PM

***raises hand****

rukiddingme on January 2, 2012 at 7:32 PM

I want a Romney / Santorum ticket. Alan Colmes is a douche nozzle of the highest order.

That said I think what the Santorum family did was odd and ghoulish. The idea of driving a dead baby around is creepier than the words I can muster here.

But I also feel that Rick Santorum stands firmly on his values. There should be no challenge too strong for him. That’s what I admire about him and his family.

I’ve not heard anybody discuss the legal ramifications of transporting a cadaver, corpse or recently deceased person. Did he receive any special consideration in his case. Would anybody be allowed to do this? What if a man wants to keep his wife at home for more than a day? Many questions to be pondered.

Rick Santorum is a strong man, obviously. He can probably weather AC’s remarks better than Rich Lowry.

Bad show all around.

Capitalist Hog on January 2, 2012 at 7:34 PM

CW on January 2, 2012 at 6:08 PM

There are more important things than comments on hotair. I happened to have been spending time with my family but, that’s neither here nor there. But, I’ll respond to you now.

I assume you know about Ronald Reagan’s An American Life? Reagan is attributed as the author of the book but, do you know who wrote it? It was Robert Lindsey. Lindsey also wrote the autobiography for Marlon Brando but, that’s beside the point. You also realize that An American Life is written in the first person? Go down to your local bookstore and browse the autobiographies. They will all be written in the first person but, a good majority (if not all) of them were ghostwritten.

The editor image was from the Ron Paul Investment Letter, while all the images are from the Ron Paul Political Report. At the time of the newsletters, Paul had returned to his practice full time. I buy Paul’s story over some random-and-obviously-biased-against-Paul website. Don’t bother bringing Dondero up. His opinion on the subject is completely invalid until somebody reputable backs his assertions up.

It’s well known that Rockwell was the author. Why you continue to peddle this two-bit site around just tells people that you’re more interested in spreading disinformation than getting across an accurate view of reality.

Plus, this website should spend 15 or 20 minutes making themselves look more professional. Geocities websites in the mid-90′s were more professional looking.

gyrmnix on January 2, 2012 at 7:34 PM

I’m sorry but if I was Santorum I’d jump a plane find this guy and punch him like that store clerk did on christmas. These ppl make me sick! They will do anything to put ppl down. Man that gets my goat!

angrymike on January 2, 2012 at 7:35 PM

angrymike on January 2, 2012 at 7:35 PM

angryed on January 2, 2012 at 7:42 PM

Alan Colmes needs to get his life right.

libfreeordie on January 2, 2012 at 7:44 PM

I think it’s his talking about it in a public interview that’s more creepy than anything else. There are other ways to make a political point.

haner on January 2, 2012 at 7:45 PM

Except that if you watch the CBS video, it still clearly sounds like he is saying “black”. Unless of course he routinely interrupts sentences with outbursts of “blaag” and I am simply unaware of it.

thphilli on January 2, 2012 at 6:57 PM

“Blaag”? I thought there was a “clear” ack sound, thp? You going to backtrack on that, now?

Good Solid B-Plus on January 2, 2012 at 7:46 PM

That’s a great bunch of BS. Hope it works out for him. By the way…if he wasn’t saying blacks, then what was he saying?

rubberneck on January 2, 2012 at 7:16 PM

Half of the word “lives.”

“li-people’s lives.”

BTW, that wasn’t Santorum saying the clearer CBS Video vindicated him. It was the liberal from Mediaite.

Good Solid B-Plus on January 2, 2012 at 7:48 PM

There are more important things than comments on hotair.

gyrmnix on January 2, 2012 at 7:34 PM

Well that’s just crazy talk.

Axe on January 2, 2012 at 7:48 PM

I know it’s wrong, but every instinct I have is telling me to punch Alan Colmes in the face if I ever see him in person.

St Gaudens on January 2, 2012 at 7:49 PM

Rich Lowry, what a tool. Listen to him talk about Iran. Replace “Iran” with “Iraq”. Sound familiar?

Sad.

BocaJuniors on January 2, 2012 at 7:50 PM

is popular in stromfront for is positions of ending the war on drugs which imprisons too many black people.

it does not make sense to think paul as a racist when look at the whole of his position.

nathor on January 2, 2012 at 6:46 PM

Um, wa-wait….Stormfront is concerned about the incarceration of black people for drug offenses.

?

Ya know,…the last skinhead in a RuPaul T-shirt I talked to had those very concerns.

*eyeroll*

I take it that the last open registration was nothing but a RuPaul Trojan Horse.

Good Show.

98ZJUSMC on January 2, 2012 at 7:51 PM

WTH is wrong with Colmes? Hearing Mr. Santorum’s story about his son made my eyes misty-very sad. What a stupid thing to attack in the name of politics/ideology.

Dr. ZhivBlago on January 2, 2012 at 7:52 PM

St Gaudens on January 2, 2012 at 7:49 PM

I had to keep all possible projectiles out of the room whenever I used to watch Hannity.

What a supercilious putz.

98ZJUSMC on January 2, 2012 at 7:54 PM

rubberneck on January 2, 2012 at 7:16 PM

this is supposed to divert us from Paul’s sordid authorship? His embrace of truthers, conspiracy nutjobs, neonazi’s, and of course the hate Israel lobby of islamist apologists.

You found one, one misqouted sentence and try to destroy a man’s career, yet the reems of evidence about Paul pass through your head like an xray,.. no trace of it’s passing to be found.

I feel sorry for you, to be so blinded by your politics, reality has no meaning.

One highly questionable qoute..

a career of nutjobery..

gee,.. wonder which is more telling?

You Paul voters are a sad case study in denial.

mark81150 on January 2, 2012 at 7:59 PM

AC is a petulant, whiny child. I too will not listen to him and his liberal ranting. He needs a big smack down for this and he may get it, in this life or the next.

More important is how deeply affected I am by those sharing their deeply personal tragedies, thank you for sharing your pain. My only sister died of SIDS at 3 months old when I was 3 years old. It was the middle of the day and as young as I was I will never forget my mother, as grief stricken as she was insisting to everyone I say good-bye to her. I did not really understand at 3 what was happening but to this day 44 years later I am grateful for that last moment with her.

As for the santorum’s and anyone else in similar circumstance. That is the child you and your wife (and children) loved and planned for months. Sharing every kick, heartbeat etc. They did what was right for them and their children and maybe this will help families realize they have choices.

God bless all those who have lost their beloved children.

FLconservative on January 2, 2012 at 8:01 PM

I am so sorry for everyone that has been touched by pregnancy loss or the loss of a child. My heart goes out to you and yours.

I am ashamed of those who feel superior enough to criticize how a family handles their grief and feel that they know better.

This isn’t a political issue to be debated. It’s a topic though that needs to be discussed based on many of the awful and ill thought comments in this thread.

Colmes needs to be fired. His comments were hurtful and mean spirited. I’ll be looking to actually get a live person on the phone at Fox tomorrow.

LawnGnomeFanFirst on January 2, 2012 at 8:06 PM

t8stlikchkn,

Forget that comment. I’m always appreciative to hear what our fellow commenters have gone through. Especially when it so similar as the subject of the thread.

hawkdriver on January 2, 2012 at 6:38 PM

its ok. he was right. i dont know why i did that. i was just remembering. i should just have not talked about it. we dont think about it often, anymore. its been 10 years. its just even i, when reading it thought, thats weird. and then all the memories came rushing back. ok, thats enough. it just hit me, thinking about what that must have been like for them. and i should have just said: it may seem weird, but things can happen in your life that may cause you to rethink that. its hard when you do have some personal connection to a story not to bring that into your thinking about it. and what you say about it, to at least give some kind of context to what you are saying. but he is right. its ok. i appreaciate what you said, but i do understand his point as well. and THATS why i am a moderate!! ha. couldnt get too serious for too long.

t8stlikchkn on January 2, 2012 at 8:08 PM

Lowry did a great job on this one.

Wow, Colmes has really sunk into the sewers over the past five years.

The homosexuals and their cheerleaders REALLY hate Santorum, if anyone hasn’t figured that out yet.

DaMav on January 2, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Bad show all around.

Capitalist Hog on January 2, 2012 at 7:34 PM

One of my in-laws were able to take their deceased infant son by family car on a 4 hour trip to their home town for burial. He was 9 months old when he died and the family took him in his little coffin to the church in their hometown where the funeral was held. While everyone thought it was really sad that they had lost their son, no one that I know of thought there should be no reason they couldn’t take him themselves to his funeral. It would have cost a lot of money to have someone else do it and this way the family had one last trip with their son. It helped them get closure on what was one of the family’s saddest times.

Hospitals routinely offer to let the family of a close to full-term infant take the child home for the family if they so choose or people can come to the hospital to say goodbye. You can ask to have any person who dies brought home for a wake. Most people do not have a space to hold a large group of people for something like that and people now-a-days are pretty squeamish about such things. But there is no reason you can’t.

Lily on January 2, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Just reading this article made me cry. I too have lost a child, though he was a young man at the time. It is an unbelievably painful tragedy. It is like having a hole torn in your heart that will never heal. You just learn to cope with the pain. If the Santorums found comfort in saying a long good bye to their baby and it helped their other children to understand and cope, then they did what was right for them. I wish I had had an opportunity to hold and hug my son one more time, though tragic circumstances made that impossible. Neither Colmes nor anyone else has the right to criticize and mock the Santorums and call them weird. . If the Santorums had aborted the baby, I have no doubt but that Colmes would be much more supportive. It is obvious that those on the left who are so proud of their sensitivity are only sensitive when it comes to other liberals and those who behave in the ways of which they approve. They seem to feel perfectly free to be insensitive and nasty when it comes to everyone else.

lukjuj on January 2, 2012 at 8:11 PM

Lily on January 2, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Very helpful, thank you for the thoughtful reply.

Capitalist Hog on January 2, 2012 at 8:15 PM

LawnGnomeFanFirst on January 2, 2012 at 8:06 PM

I agree that we shouldn’t be criticizing Santorum over this, everybody deals with grief in their own way (even if I do view it as a bit creepy). On the other hand, Santorum did bring it upon himself by bringing it up.

But, I still think this is a subject we should drop.

gyrmnix on January 2, 2012 at 8:21 PM

DaMav on January 2, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Homosexuals have a very good reason to hate Santorum. That kind of bigotry shouldn’t be tolerated.

gyrmnix on January 2, 2012 at 8:22 PM

LawnGnomeFanFirst Your comment is insightful and, as one who has lost a child, most appreciated. I agree with you completely.

lukjuj on January 2, 2012 at 8:23 PM

haner on January 2, 2012 at 7:45 PM

Any politician? or just the republicans? That is usually the litmus test, if having a public life means having to explain everything you do..

The one truism of modern politics, is nothing a liberal does will be criticized on personal matters, and nothing a conservative does on those same matters, won’t be.

I really don’t see how he can ever win if this is the standard. Bill can sleep with his interns, and get a pass from every single liberal womens rights group… Santorum can’t even mourn his child, and not be ridiculed for not doing it the “right” way.. and don’t you dare speak up about it..

better to let the left carry on a whisper campaign..

No parent here tells their story to everyone they meet, about the pain, the years spent dreaming of what might have been, but when we saw what was being done to Santorum, alot of us spoke up..

are we “creepy” as well?

better to shut up, than make someone fell uncomfortable? or rethink a know nothing attitude concerning a parents worst nightmare?

I doubt, really doubt, he did it to win an extra vote.. Politicians are always dogged by rumor, whispers, he was trying to put his family’s thinking out there to show why, they did as they did,.. if he said nothing, you’d only hear his internet critics, and their spin.

and we’ve already had a taste of that.

mark81150 on January 2, 2012 at 8:28 PM

II also hear crickets from the Romney people on this. If I didn’t know any better I’d think Romney’s people are the ones that started this whole thing. That man will stop at nothing to destroy a Republican.

angryed on January 2, 2012 at 7:42 PM

Yes, Alan Colmes says something, and therefore, it’s a Romney conspiracy to, er, destroy a Republican.

Obviously.

O_o

Good Lt on January 2, 2012 at 8:29 PM

lukjuj on January 2, 2012 at 8:11 PM

Well said.
Nobody has the right to criticize this family for this, and Mr. Cheap Hairpiece reaches new lows in doing so.

litebeam1 on January 2, 2012 at 8:30 PM

Just reading the comments here, half are not sure whether it was the thing to do.

Well unless you take it from Santorums view, understanding it could be hard. Rick believes that life starts at conception, and whether you agree or not, is beside the point. Those of us that believe that conception starts life, count the baby not yet “born” to be part of the family. When you lose this cherished soul, you just lost a family member.

What right does anyone have to argue the rightness or wrongness of his actions. He, like Palin stayed true to their stated beliefs, and no one has the RIGHT to second guess, let alone publicly castigate him. Only the lowest of the low do this. Rick you’re a better man than most, and prove that you will do what you say. Such character has been missing in the White House for these last few years.

jainphx on January 2, 2012 at 8:33 PM

gyrmnix on January 2, 2012 at 8:22 PM

We should let the sexually perverse dictate all policy and choose our political leaders.

Utopia!

tom daschle concerned on January 2, 2012 at 8:36 PM

I’m sure Hannity is but not in the way you mean.

Your Mamma loves me on January 2, 2012 at 8:37 PM

Funny. I thought FOX didn’t have liberal views on their programs?…lol. Isn’t that what the libs always bleat about?

rightConcept on January 2, 2012 at 8:38 PM

gyrmnix: I think there are 2 reasons that Santorum brings this up. First, it is a way of impressing on people that even a baby at 20 weeks gestation is a baby, worthy of life and love, a real person. Also, talking about the loss and experience can help others and is healing for himself also. He is showing he is a real person with real feelings. BTW, the person who described Santorum as looking dorky,etc. has to have a problem with his eyes. He is an average looking person who doesn’t look in the least dorky. He looks like someone who is sincere and intelligent. Talk about being critical and superficial. That commentcertainly was both.

lukjuj on January 2, 2012 at 8:39 PM

tom daschle concerned on January 2, 2012 at 8:36 PM

Homosexuals are sexually perverse?

And it’s not about letting homosexuals dictate policy, it’s about providing equality to all people.

gyrmnix on January 2, 2012 at 8:42 PM

alan colmes & bill smegmaher / separated at birth

ericdijon on January 2, 2012 at 8:45 PM

gyrmnix on January 2, 2012 at 8:22 PM

And what reason is that, gyrmnix? Because Dan Savage told you to hate him?

L.N. Smithee on January 2, 2012 at 8:47 PM

Michelle Malkin on twitter:

michellemalkin Michelle Malkin
So @alancolmes apologized to the Santorums. I think he owes @RichLowry an apology, too. twitter.com/#!/AlanColmes/…

From Colmes on twitter:

just spoke to @ricksantorum. He and Karen graciously accepted my apology for a hurtful comment

Now whether it’s sincere or a career saver?

kim roy on January 2, 2012 at 8:47 PM

Homosexuals are sexually perverse?

gyrmnix on January 2, 2012 at 8:42 PM

Yes and it isn’t about equality, its about destroying traditional values and mainstreaming perversion. What better way to rot America than from the inside out.

tom daschle concerned on January 2, 2012 at 8:47 PM

lukjuj on January 2, 2012 at 8:39 PM

Heh, somebody described him as dorky? If I were to use a single-word adjective to describe him, average would be the only word I could come up with. Then again, he always seems to be grimacing, so maybe something along the lines of whimpering? This might be the most shallow political discussion I’ve ever had.

But, good points on the baby part.

gyrmnix on January 2, 2012 at 8:50 PM

The moral decay the us is experiencing today, and advocated for by the gay mafia, is hat in hand with the fiscal ruination we are experiencing. The hand of grace is being lifted…judgement is coming.

tom daschle concerned on January 2, 2012 at 8:52 PM

tom daschle concerned on January 2, 2012 at 8:47 PM

Marriage was destroyed by letting government get involved in it in the first place.

I’ve got a very simple solution to the gay marriage debate. Get the government out of it. From my perspective as a christian, I view the government’s co option of marriage as a blatant violation of the first amendment. Let marriage return to the churches. Problem solved.

But, as long as the government has a hand in it, they have an obligation to provide the same opportunity to everybody.

So, tell me, how does two men who love each other negatively affect your life?

gyrmnix on January 2, 2012 at 8:56 PM

So, tell me, how does two men who love each other negatively affect your life?

gyrmnix on January 2, 2012 at 8:56 PM

Is this how low you have set the standard for morality?

tom daschle concerned on January 2, 2012 at 8:59 PM

L.N. Smithee on January 2, 2012 at 8:47 PM

I could care less about what Dan Savage had to say. I honestly had never heard of him until after Santorum’s remarks.

However, I do take issue when someone tries to denigrate others.

gyrmnix on January 2, 2012 at 8:59 PM

Thank goodness Colmes doesn’t have any children.

Ward Cleaver on January 2, 2012 at 8:59 PM

You apologize for using your instead of you’re or accidentally breaking a window. Those would be a mistakes.

I don’t think Hallmark makes a card for, “I’m sorry that I used your son’s death and your family’s response to it for a cheap political attack today.”.

LawnGnomeFanFirst on January 2, 2012 at 9:00 PM

gyrmnix on January 2, 2012 at 8:59 PM

Did you ever refute the link I posted earlier about Ron Paul? No? I didn’t think so. Big mouths like you are more bark than bite.

CW on January 2, 2012 at 9:08 PM

CW on January 2, 2012 at 9:08 PM

Look closer.

gyrmnix on January 2, 2012 at 9:18 PM

It’s Alan Colmes vs. Henry Waxman in a steel cage death match for the title of “Ugliest Man in the Known Universe”…

Moose Drool on January 2, 2012 at 9:22 PM

I think Rich Lowery was trying to save Alan Colmes from himself, but no one can get in the way of a train heading off the tracks.
Alan Colmes is the worst kind of liberal. He advocates for the murder of innocent babies.
Why are we so surprised? He is what he is.
Disgusting.

HornetSting on January 2, 2012 at 9:23 PM

Colmes apologized to the Santorums for his hateful comment.

jdawg on January 2, 2012 at 9:28 PM

Colmes has always been a grade A a-hole but him bringing up how Santorum dealt with the loss of a child as a bad thing proves he is a despicable human being. No one gets to judge how parents deal with that. Colmes should be banned from TV after that. Disgusting.

KateNE on January 2, 2012 at 9:29 PM

Now whether it’s sincere or a career saver?

kim roy on January 2, 2012 at 8:47 PM

And yet the story still stands front and center on skeletors website.

And his twitter feed is going crazy.

Link to scumbag skeletor.

JPeterman on January 2, 2012 at 9:32 PM

This doesn’t change anything for me. Colmes and Santorum are d-bags. Same as it ever was.

M240H on January 2, 2012 at 5:23 PM

Just like you.

dukecitygirl on January 2, 2012 at 9:33 PM

Colmes is an insensitive idiot. Oh a liberal.

COgirl on January 2, 2012 at 9:36 PM

Wait…I’m confused. ISN’T IT a tad bit weird to bring home a dead baby to show the kids? That sounds horrifyingly creepy.

Now, of course the way Colmes stated it was rude, but still- I’d say it does seem a bit crazy.

TheBlueSite on January 2, 2012 at 9:44 PM

OTOH, Alan Colmes career. is. over.

Key West Reader on January 2, 2012 at 7:03 PM

Liberal media never punish their tools. no matter how inappropriate or how disgusting they behaved.

galtani on January 2, 2012 at 9:51 PM

My heart goes out to all of the people who lost children in such a sad way. I’ll keep you in my prayers.
I don’t know if his reaction was creepy or not… but it was very, very human.
Do let’s not get into a gay debate. It’s off topic, and I hate seeing such good, insightful, awesome people flip their wigs over something this stupid. -_-

LunaLovegood on January 2, 2012 at 9:53 PM

In college, I had friends who found out in the fifth month of pregnancy that their son had no brain. His mother carried him to term, and they had a few hours before he passed away. In that time, he was baptized and his whole family was there to say goodbye. In my mind, it wasn’t creepy at all. It was a blessing that they were able to hold their son for a short time.

pookysgirl on January 2, 2012 at 4:57 PM

I also had a college friend who delivered a baby without a skull and only a partial brain. After her birth, they took her home and spent time with her and their other children until her death a few days later. Their children are all adults now, and they all say they cherish the time they had with their little sister and the memories they made with her before she passed away.

I find nothing creepy with the Santorums wanting their other children to see their baby brother to help them understand what had happened to him. It isn’t any more creepy to take his body home for their family to grieve in private than it would be to take their children to the funeral home to view the body. There’s no difference.

From what I recall, Colmes was the first to go after Trig Palin also – he was saying that Palin’s flying while pregnant caused Trig’s Downs Syndrome.

VidOmnia on January 2, 2012 at 5:10 PM

If Colmes said this, then he’s even more ignorant than I’d given him credit for. The mother of a child w/Down syndrome cannot cause the condition by anything she does or does not do during the pregnancy. Down syndrome is a genetic anomaly that happens at conception when the child’s 21st chromosome is triplicated instead of being duplicated as it is in a “normal”, typical pregnancy. Not that I’m an expert on genetics, but I am the adoptive mother of three children with Down syndrome, so I know a little more about it than the “esteemed” Mr. Colmes. What a worthless bag of gas!

mom29js on January 2, 2012 at 10:00 PM

Lowry should have Dufus how much he gets paid to keep saying
“out of the main stream”, since liberals are a small minority and an extreme fringe group.

lilium479 on January 2, 2012 at 10:04 PM

This is Alan Colmes

I’ve NEVER seen anyone who is so willingly intellectually dishonest. He KNOWS that he’s being intellectually dishonest, yet he’ll go ahead and believe it anyway. He’s willing to come to mistaken conclusions for some reason I’m not able to figure out.

Watch Jan Helfeld interview Colmes and reveals this;

fatlibertarianinokc on January 2, 2012 at 10:05 PM

My ex-wife and I lost a second child at 14 weeks. It was a very real loss to us; my ex still talks about one day meeting her in Heaven.

The loss of a very young child is a wrenching feeling; the child has no memories to leave other than your own personal feelings. There’s no memories of them playing, laughing, or being with you. It is the loss of a future life, and one that leaves an emptyness, and a need to bring reason and closure to the ordeal.

I can totally understand Santorum doing this with his family. There is the need have all his family know that this child existed and was loved, even though their life was cut so short. Plus, there is a very personal feeling that I had, that I’m sure Santorum and his family had; that their child did not die alone and with no one to mourn their loss, that even with their all-to-short life, that their child went to God in the embrace of a loving family.

itsspideyman on January 2, 2012 at 10:09 PM

TheBlueSite on January 2, 2012 at 9:44 PM

My wife delivered in the EMT squad vehicle as it pulled into the hospital, they litteraly grabbed him up and ran inside the ER. My wife was on the gurney, and I left her to the care of the nurses and doctor as she begged me to check on our son. 8 months along, both our other children were born earlyso I had no reason to think….

They told me as I walked into the exam room,.. he had passed during the night, the placenta had failed, so my wife had gone into labor… You couldn’t have stunned me more with an ax handle. I walked over to him, just to see for myself, it couldn’, couldn’t be.. the nurse lifted him up to me, and took him into my arms and just came apart..

I don’t know how long they let me hold him before forcing me to let go. Time wasn’t registering with me at that point.

I made it up to my wife’s room and they brought him to us, and shut the door. That time is ours,. but I am telling you, knowing wether you would do something or not, without dropping in that express elevator to Hell, is impossible to say with anything close to certainty. You aren’t entirely rational at that point, and no sane perswon would expect you to be.

My daughter,. she,.. well she asked to see him, after I brought my wife back,.. and we considered it, but decided not too.. which was our choice, ours,…

and not a damned soul else’s..

Death, grief is the most profoundly personal place to be, don’t judge them for not being you.

mark81150 on January 2, 2012 at 10:21 PM

Alan Colmes – and anyone here who has agreed with so much as a single SCINTILLA of what he said – has made what can only be described as:

The Single Most Hateful and Contempt-Filled Smearing Statement of Vitriol and Shrieking Animosity, Antipathy and Animus EVER UTTERED in the HISTORY of The World!

He Should Have Been IMMEDIATELY FIRED!!!!

williamg on January 2, 2012 at 10:21 PM

People do strange things coping with grief. I hope none of you have to experience it.

John the Libertarian on January 2, 2012 at 6:14 PM

I didn’t bother watching the clip. Colmes has always been a stupid thoughtless jerk, every single time I’ve seen/heard him.

S. D. on January 2, 2012 at 10:28 PM

Now whether it’s sincere or a career saver?
kim roy on January 2, 2012 at 8:47 PM

Remember E.D. hill and the fist bump? She was gone the next day!

DSchoen on January 2, 2012 at 10:30 PM

mark81150 on January 2, 2012 at 10:21 PM

I’m sorry.

Darksean on January 2, 2012 at 10:33 PM

However, I do take issue when someone tries to denigrate others.

gyrmnix on January 2, 2012 at 8:59 PM

How did Santorum “denigrate” homosexuals? Be specific. And try not to resort to arguments akin to that of Alan Colmes or John Aravosis.

L.N. Smithee on January 2, 2012 at 10:34 PM

Liberals will tell you who they fear.

PappyD61 on January 2, 2012 at 10:39 PM

Nobody on the right can get away with this kind of slimeball behavior. The crap that said about Sarah Palin is revolting. Colmes is a light weight and has been replaced by Bob Beckel.

CoolChange80 on January 2, 2012 at 10:49 PM

It seems colmes has apologized to the Santorums. https://twitter.com/#!/AlanColmes

Not that it makes the ignorant and hurtful statement any better. Even a little research would have had him reading Mrs Santorum’s account of the event or looking into Mr Santorum’s previous remarks on the topic to CNN and would have provided a very different viewpoint. Colmes’ statement was deliberately distorting what really happened for political(or ratings) reasons.

I seem to remember him doing this previously. Making some wildly defamatory remark about a political figure he dislikes and then coming out that he apologized. But he never seems to learn that he should check his facts FIRST!

The man is a hack and doesn’t deserve to be working covering news.

OBQuiet on January 2, 2012 at 10:51 PM

CHANGE THE TONE!

Remember that mantra from the Bush 2000 presidential campaign?

Did castrating the GOP work for us Bush?

PappyD61 on January 2, 2012 at 10:51 PM

CHANGE THE TONE!

Remember that mantra from the Bush 2000 presidential campaign?

Did castrating the GOP work for us Bush?

PappyD61 on January 2, 2012 at 10:51 PM

AYE, LADDIE!! – mmmmBUT DO YA HAAAT mmmMMMBOOOOOOOOOOSH?!!!

williamg on January 2, 2012 at 11:00 PM

L.N. Smithee on January 2, 2012 at 10:34 PM

Here’s a pretty good rundown.

When you compare homosexuality to pedophilia, bestiality or polygamy, you’re going to get called out on your bigotry.

gyrmnix on January 2, 2012 at 11:06 PM

angryed on January 2, 2012 at 7:42 PM

That’s almost a Ron Paulian level of conspiracy nuttiness.

There are things to not like about Romney but you’re post shows a level of irrationality that disqualifies you as a serious critic.

It’s actually so far out there that it has come full circle and is actually an endorsement of Romney. If you have to use some logic that would make Alex Jones cringe then it makes it seem like finding a negative was a whole lot of work for you. And if it’s that much work then that’s to Romney’s credit.

Ampersand on January 2, 2012 at 11:12 PM

Ampersand on January 2, 2012 at 11:12 PM

You must have missed the threads about Gingrich and Perry missing the VA ballot. All kinds of wild Romney-centric conspiracy theories were flying around that night.

gyrmnix on January 2, 2012 at 11:17 PM

gyrmnix on January 2, 2012 at 11:17 PM

I know, right? Some of those kooks even think that Romney should have to prove that he has 10,000 valid signatures!

gryphon202 on January 2, 2012 at 11:28 PM

gryphon202 on January 2, 2012 at 11:28 PM

That’s a different subject entirely from the conspiracy theories.

gyrmnix on January 2, 2012 at 11:29 PM

To say it in a Pittsburgh Dialect: “THIS NEEDS READ!!:”

williamg on January 2, 2012 at 11:32 PM

That’s a different subject entirely from the conspiracy theories.

gyrmnix on January 2, 2012 at 11:29 PM

Trust me gyrm, as one of those kooks who do believe that Romney should have to literally produce 10,000 valid signatures, I’m well aware that the two issues have been unfairly conflated.

gryphon202 on January 2, 2012 at 11:33 PM

Alan Colmes is an putz who thinks he is an “elite”.

The Santorum explanation is understandable and logical given his wife’s background.

mr_west on January 2, 2012 at 11:44 PM

gyrmnix on January 2, 2012 at 11:06 PM

Why? What is defined as pedophilia is a moral judgment made by the culture, and the rules against sex with animals are clearly just moral rules since no one gets hurt, and polygamy is accepted throughout much of the world as a perfectly morally acceptable arrangement.

The opposition to all three is based on our culture’s moral rules, just as the opposition to homosexual sexual activity was based on the cultural’s moral rules.

It sounds like you just like calling people who disagree with you bigots.

fadetogray on January 2, 2012 at 11:44 PM

gryphon202 on January 2, 2012 at 11:33 PM

I’m not against VA verifying Romney’s signatures. I do think having that 15k+ rule in there is just too inviting of fraud. I just take issue with the people who think Romney was behind Gingrich and Perry failing to meet the requirements.

I’m a strong supporter of 3rd parties. So, what I’d prefer to see happen is loosening ballot access restrictions on all levels. The stronger 3rd parties, like the Green and Libertarian parties, have to spend all their time and money on ballot access that they’re left with nothing when it comes to getting their message out.

gyrmnix on January 2, 2012 at 11:51 PM

AC is an absolute douchebag. What he said showed a complete lack of judgment and moral character.

However, I, myself would never partake in something like bringing a dead body home for my kids to somehow “bond” with it. It’s rather disturbing and I don’t know of one single person who wouldn’t be somewhat offended by the thought of such a thing. It’s all a very macabre, bizarre type of thing that the Left loves to vilify the extreme, religious Right about.

This is not normal behavior whatsoever, it sounds more akin to what I’d hear about occurring in a 3rd world country. This issue, coupled with Rick’s ridiculous notion about wanting to Federally control “homosexual behavior” and sodomy make me think putting this guy against Obama is political suicide for the GOP.

This country is on the brink of financial collapse, can we stop making this election a referendum on Social issues?

1984 in real life on January 2, 2012 at 11:53 PM

1984 in real life on January 2, 2012 at 11:53 PM

I think you need to have a word with the Democratic strategists about that. Colmes is out there shooting his mouth off, and I really doubt that was an accident.

gryphon202 on January 2, 2012 at 11:54 PM

fadetogray on January 2, 2012 at 11:44 PM

There’s a very distinct difference between them that you’re failing to realize. Homosexual acts are between two consenting adults.

A child doesn’t have the maturity to make such a decision. An animal is unable to communicate consent. However, in the case of two men or two women, there is clear consent.

I personally have nothing against polygamy and believe banning it is a violation of the first amendment.

This just points out how ridiculous it is to have a government attempt to legislate based on morality.

gyrmnix on January 3, 2012 at 12:00 AM