Alan Colmes: The way Santorum dealt with the death of his child sure was crazy

posted at 4:45 pm on January 2, 2012 by Allahpundit

You’d think liberals would want to pull their punches against Santorum until he’s built up enough momentum nationally to complicate life for Romney, yet here’s Colmesy throwing an uppercut straight to the groin. Pure instinctual ideological bloodlust? Or … is this actually a sly bit of jujitsu in which AC, through a calculated display of jerkiness, forces the viewer to sympathize with Santorum, thus giving him another little boost before tomorrow night? It’s good cop/bad cop co-starring Rich Lowry. Fiendishly clever!

No, I kid. Obviously, it’s bloodlust. That’s the first clip; the second clip, via the Right Scoop, has Santorum talking about his son’s death a few months ago in an interview with Piers Morgan. I don’t know where Colmes is getting the idea that they brought the baby’s body home to “play with it.” They brought him home because they wanted his siblings to understand that they had had a brother who’d lived and died. Seeing him with their own eyes and having a few hours together as a family would bond them to his memory in a way that nothing else would. It’s not what most parents would do, but it’s not “crazy.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 6

Crazy? Perhaps not. Insanely creepy to bring your baby’s corpse home to show its young siblings? Definitely.

inthemiddle on January 2, 2012 at 4:48 PM

Yeah, Santorum isn’t creepy.

MJBrutus on January 2, 2012 at 4:49 PM

Typical liberal scum that Alan Colmes

red131 on January 2, 2012 at 4:49 PM

Skeletor is up to his old tricks again.

csdeven on January 2, 2012 at 4:50 PM

Wasn’t it a stillborn fetus?

haner on January 2, 2012 at 4:50 PM

Alan Colmes, is a dead child!

KOOLAID2 on January 2, 2012 at 4:50 PM

Colmes is a douche of the first order.

Scrappy on January 2, 2012 at 4:51 PM

inthemiddle on January 2, 2012 at 4:48 PM

By that logic taking children to any funeral is “Creepy”.

William Amos on January 2, 2012 at 4:51 PM

Alan Colmes is a fish-faced dingbat. Even Hannity, who’s not exactly the sharpest debater, cleaned his clock every night when they co-hosted on Fox.

Total momzer.

Rixon on January 2, 2012 at 4:51 PM

Fox is going down the tubes. But the basic message is that the Left wants us all dead.
Colmes is slime. His face reflects his true nature.

Pecos on January 2, 2012 at 4:52 PM

Colmes is a tool.

College Prof on January 2, 2012 at 4:52 PM

Santorum is beyond creepy. He would get absolutely destroyed in the general.

thphilli on January 2, 2012 at 4:53 PM

Taking the baby home may be a bit much, but viewing the child – as many people do at a funeral parlor for example – isn’t creepy at all.

What’s creepy is that Colmes would have been fine with it had they birthed the child and left it in a closet to die

catmman on January 2, 2012 at 4:54 PM

Alan did a lot of pouting in that video. The main thing that was creepy was Alan.

Oleta on January 2, 2012 at 4:54 PM

Don’t you just love the “new civility?”

GCStateConservative on January 2, 2012 at 4:55 PM

Some of you here need to look up the suggested grieving process given by hospitals and medical professionals in a miscarriage or stillbirth situation before taking a shot on Santorum and his family.

Bluray on January 2, 2012 at 4:55 PM

Killing babies and then throwing them in the freezer or in the trash can is not crazy or creepy to liberals, but this is. Sick people.

forest on January 2, 2012 at 4:56 PM

It’s nobody’s business.

TheClearRiver on January 2, 2012 at 4:56 PM

Alan Colmes is a soulless political hack that lives his life in endless hate who can barely speak for himself…

… let alone be the judge of anyone else.

Seven Percent Solution on January 2, 2012 at 4:56 PM

But 1.5 million abortions each year are normal…/libs/

hillsoftx on January 2, 2012 at 4:56 PM

What Santorum did was in line with what other families do in a miscarriage or stillbirth situation.

Bluray on January 2, 2012 at 4:56 PM

Why? They want to face Romney in the general which is why they keep attacking any possible threats to him. Ron Paul is the only other candidate that gets a pass, which is probably due to their hoping he draws disaffected supporters away from the GOP when he goes down.

sharrukin on January 2, 2012 at 4:57 PM

Treating underage black kids differently than white kids on issues of crime isn’t creepy (as reported in Herr Doktors newsletters) but showing your kids their deceased brother is.

Got it.

catmman on January 2, 2012 at 4:57 PM

In college, I had friends who found out in the fifth month of pregnancy that their son had no brain. His mother carried him to term, and they had a few hours before he passed away. In that time, he was baptized and his whole family was there to say goodbye. In my mind, it wasn’t creepy at all. It was a blessing that they were able to hold their son for a short time.

pookysgirl on January 2, 2012 at 4:57 PM

It’s not crazy. I know some people think it is a good way to handle the grief of a miscarriage and helps all involved get through the trauma of a miscarriage. Midwife professionals in some parts even recommend it.

I can’t stand Santorum but he deserves to be defended on this score.

lexhamfox on January 2, 2012 at 4:57 PM

Bluray on January 2, 2012 at 4:55 PM

That would involve intelligence, foresight, and wisdom…

… Oh, wait!

Seven Percent Solution on January 2, 2012 at 4:58 PM

Colmes is a disgusting piece of filth who will say anything to bash a Republican. My wife mutes the TV whenever he is speaking. I only heard this POS from a blog post later. Revolting.

Alabama Mike on January 2, 2012 at 4:58 PM

From the party that brings you 1.5 million ‘normal’ abortions..

hillsoftx on January 2, 2012 at 4:58 PM

Santorum is beyond creepy. He would get absolutely destroyed in the general.

thphilli on January 2, 2012 at 4:53 PM

Destroyed by this? The “dead son” card? Please let the Dems play that against Santorum if he’s the nominee. Not only would it backfire spectacularly and generate sympathy for Rick, but it would also reintroduce the electorate to all those votes State Senator Obama cast against the Born Alive Infant Protection Act.

Doughboy on January 2, 2012 at 4:58 PM

Santorum was very moving there but I do have to admit a sense of unease hearing about something so deeply private.

If it was me, I’d decline to discuss the matter. It was for the family only.

SteveMG on January 2, 2012 at 4:59 PM

Unless you’ve lost a child (may God forbid such a tragedy) it’s best to not judge Sen. and Mrs. Santorum. My parents lost a daughter who would have likely been an older, doting sister in my life and my father literally dissolved emotionally. My sainted mother is what kept him going. I could see him having done the same thing. Maybe they did and just never chose to share that. Anyway, it’s easy to judge and hard to put yourself in that place and I find the family neither crazy nor creepy… just human.

princetrumpet on January 2, 2012 at 4:59 PM

hillsoftx on January 2, 2012 at 4:56 PM

Thread winner.

Robert_Paulson on January 2, 2012 at 4:59 PM

A greiving process and yet there are some soulless cowards here that would mock Santorum for it.

eva3071 on January 2, 2012 at 5:00 PM

Colmes is a weapons-grade douchbag.

But we’ve known that for years.

Rebar on January 2, 2012 at 5:01 PM

If it was me, I’d decline to discuss the matter. It was for the family only.

It could have remained private if the left had not brought it up during his 2006 campaign as a way to smear him as being crazy as Colmes is doing now.

Bluray on January 2, 2012 at 5:01 PM

NuTone©: Epic Fail.

Resist We Much on January 2, 2012 at 5:02 PM

It’s nobody’s business.

TheClearRiver on January 2, 2012 at 4:56 PM

Yup.

V7_Sport on January 2, 2012 at 5:02 PM

Abort Alan.

mrmiji on January 2, 2012 at 5:02 PM

colmes is creepy

uber-con on January 2, 2012 at 5:02 PM

I would never question how a family dealt with its grieving process.

Never.

As I said, it’s so personal that I felt uneasy listening to Santorum describe it.

SteveMG on January 2, 2012 at 5:02 PM

Colmes – a DNC ‘talking points’ echo chamber. Real classy and sensitive guy. Unless you point out the hypocrisy of The One. Then he goes all too pieces. Usually ending with “BUSH DID IT TOO!”.

GarandFan on January 2, 2012 at 5:02 PM

Correction–”I could see him doing …”

princetrumpet on January 2, 2012 at 5:02 PM

Volunteering in a grief program for kids to teens, it can be especially difficult for young children to comprehend and explain death. Each family is different, but to criticize a family for such a decision is simply wrong.

pjean on January 2, 2012 at 5:02 PM

Colmes has to stop dipping in to the Holiday weed-bag before he makes his TV appearances.

runner2300 on January 2, 2012 at 5:03 PM

Yeah Santorum’s a creep but Colmes is a bigger one.

Flapjackmaka on January 2, 2012 at 5:03 PM

Yes, but in that clip Piers Morgan asked him about it and Santorum discussed it.

Mabye that’s part of his grieving process too. So I don’t want to question it.

But for me, I’d just tell Morgan that it was personal and I don’t wish to discuss what we did.

SteveMG on January 2, 2012 at 5:04 PM

Was it any crazier than wearing funny underwear? Jut sayin…

angryed on January 2, 2012 at 5:04 PM

It is just the media trying to cast doubt at the last minute on a social conservative.

They put out what they want, but mostly they just leave out what they don’t want you to know.

Like Hot Air

If this was the only blog you read, would you even know about Gingrich and his global warming book?

conservativeBC on January 2, 2012 at 5:04 PM

Monica Crowley better be all over that sh*tbag next family gathering. What a joke, he shouldn’t be allowed on Fox anymore he’s useless as, well, an occupy wallstreeter.

jaimo on January 2, 2012 at 5:04 PM

It’s not what most parents would do, but it’s not “crazy.”

I think most people would disagree, and this is a subject best left alone.

Colmes should be slapped for bringing it up. What business is it of ours?

Moesart on January 2, 2012 at 5:04 PM

Not crazy at all, but peculiar to talk about it on the campaign trail, the way John Edwards used to talk about his son’s fatal car accident a lot. It’s hard to get more intensely personal than that, yet Santorum’s brought this story up a number of times before campaign audiences, while on the hustings for votes.

BCrago66 on January 2, 2012 at 5:06 PM

But… but Colleagues is a christian /s

AH_C on January 2, 2012 at 5:06 PM

Bluray on January 2, 2012 at 4:55 PM

Thank you. Been through that myself. Alan Colmes is not worthy of any further comment.

SlaveDog on January 2, 2012 at 5:06 PM

Now you know why Hannity wasn’t that busted up when Colmes left the show.

kingsjester on January 2, 2012 at 5:06 PM

Colmes is a total d-bag……actually, that is denigrating to d-bags……

t on January 2, 2012 at 5:07 PM

What’s really creepy is putting a dead child in a box and then inviting all your friends show up to gawk at it. I hear they do that at funerals.

sharrukin on January 2, 2012 at 5:07 PM

I’m a Romney supporter, but I think it’s awful that Santorum is being criticized for this. This sounds like a wonderful thing that he did. Rick Santorum seems like a good, loving father to me!

bluegill on January 2, 2012 at 5:08 PM

Mabye that’s part of his grieving process too. So I don’t want to question it.

The way he handled the situation has to do with his principles regarding the sanctity of human life. That child was a part of their family from conception, and they were not going to just discard him.

The left wants him to be seen as crazy to shut other pro-lifers up. The fact that Santorum has been so vocal on pro-life issues even to his own detriment is why some folks see him as a reasonable option for conservative.

He’s not going to win the nomination, but he doesn’t deserve some of the beating he’s been taking on conservative blogs lately.

Bluray on January 2, 2012 at 5:09 PM

Did the skelotor’s wife manage to give birth to any child or did he eat ‘em up before they were born ?
Colmes is ugly, inside and out

burrata on January 2, 2012 at 5:09 PM

Bluray, you are absolutely right…… Most people do not choose that course, but it is part of the grieving process, that can help many…..

t on January 2, 2012 at 5:09 PM

conservativeBC on January 2, 2012 at 5:04 PM

We all know Gingrich’s global warming problems.

Does the story really change the fact he’s in the tank for it?

If you want to fault HA for anything, fault them for continuing to let racially bigoted commenters shill for Herr Doktor.

catmman on January 2, 2012 at 5:09 PM

The whole thing is really gross if you ask me. Mainstream America won’t accept behavior like this.

rubberneck on January 2, 2012 at 5:09 PM

From what I recall, Colmes was the first to go after Trig Palin also – he was saying that Palin’s flying while pregnant caused Trig’s Downs Syndrome.

VidOmnia on January 2, 2012 at 5:10 PM

Coincidentally, although I’ve never compared their records side by side I’ve always categorized Santorum and Lowry very similarly.

FloatingRock on January 2, 2012 at 5:10 PM

Holding a wake in your home may be dated, but it is not crazy. A hundred years ago everybody did it this way.

BBReggie on January 2, 2012 at 5:11 PM

My wife had a full term still born home birth.We thank God it wasn’t at a hospital where she would have been taken away in such a sterile environment. For Alan Colmes to say he brought the babies body home to “play with it” is down right evil. We are grateful that we, including our oldest son, had time together before the circus of having the authorities get involved. I completely understand Rick Santorum and Alan Colmes is not only evil… he is a wild eyed ideologue. How can he look at himself in the mirror? I hope his wife slaps him when he get home tonight.

David Ford on January 2, 2012 at 5:12 PM

We loss a son….stillborn. That was the most painful experience to go through. Its not for me to judge how the Santorum’s decided what would be the best way to handle the loss for their family. Everyone grieves differently.

jbh45 on January 2, 2012 at 5:12 PM

I’m no fan of Colmes, but I have never liked him less than today. He was sickening.

sandspur on January 2, 2012 at 5:13 PM

Colmes is just showing how low the left will go in this campaign…

NOTHING will be out of bounds for them. It will be the scorched earth policy.

Between the union goons and the useful idiots of the OWS crowd, ACORN under various new names, academia, the media, Hollywood, and every special interest group funded by the Left under the Sun…

… we will literally be fighting for our lives.

Get used to it…

Seven Percent Solution on January 2, 2012 at 5:13 PM

Alan Colmes does know creepy. He sees it every time he shaves.

VorDaj on January 2, 2012 at 5:13 PM

We all know Gingrich’s global warming problems.

catmman on January 2, 2012 at 5:09 PM

Press Release from Gov. Romney’s Office in 2005:

As part of Governor Romney’s Massachusetts Climate Protection Plan, the state set stricter limits on carbon emissions from power plants. Romney said: “Massachusetts continues to be committed to improving air quality for all our citizens. These carbon emission limits will provide real and immediate progress in the battle to improve our environment…[Massachusetts Office of the Governor, 12/7/05]

You were saying….

angryed on January 2, 2012 at 5:13 PM

The left say these things because they are GODLESS SCUM.

GhoulAid on January 2, 2012 at 5:13 PM

If this is the best they can come up with against Santorum, he should have no problem winning the nomination.

Colmes is just plain creepy. Wife says he gives her the heebie jeebies.

Norky on January 2, 2012 at 5:14 PM

Looking at Colmes’s face makes me wanna ralph.

Roymunson on January 2, 2012 at 5:14 PM

Someone on Hot Air is prophetic. I didn’t know this story until someone (one of you guys!) said that someone would bring this up to show Santorum as a lunatic.

No casting stones on my part, I don’t think I would do it at home, maybe at the hospital, but who knows until you slip on those sad shoes, what you will do.

jazzuscounty on January 2, 2012 at 5:14 PM

I don’t support abortion, but in Colmes’ case, I would have made an exception.

they lie on January 2, 2012 at 5:15 PM

rubberneck on January 2, 2012 at 5:09 PM

Yes, you are right, but somehow Colmes just keep getting away with it.

GaltBlvnAtty on January 2, 2012 at 5:15 PM

I could care less that Santorum took his stillborn child to meet his children. Whether you agree with doing this or not, it is not something upon which to base one’s opinion of a candidate. Period. Your personal opinion of this shouldn’t matter, and it hasn’t always been the case that this method of grievance of the dead hasn’t been socially unacceptable. In fact, if it was one of my family members, I’d think it was very touching. As a mother, I probably wouldn’t show the fetus to my younger children (but would love to have a touching goodbye moment together) because I’d be afraid of emotionally scarring them – same reason I wouldn’t let them see a movie with gore. But that would be MY decision as a parents of MY children. This is HIS decision as a parent of HIS children.

I don’t like Santorum because of his policies. He voted to double the size of the Department of Education, expand Medicare, add free drugs for senior citizens, voted for foreign aid, and takes a much-too aggressive foreign policy stance that even hawks should be concerned about (I think) because it doesn’t seem fiscally responsible. We have to think about our debt.

Dagny__Taggart on January 2, 2012 at 5:15 PM

I hate to admit it, but Colmes is right. I didnt realize he brought home the corpse of the 2-hour dead baby to show his other children.

Also, equating a couple gay chicks having consensual sex with incest is nuts. I didnt realize Santorum was so out there.

Jailbreak on January 2, 2012 at 5:16 PM

Total momzer.

Rixon on January 2, 2012 at 4:51 PM

That’s why Fox hired him — and Juan Williams — token Dems who are utterly stupid.

Santorum’s actions were deeply weird. Colmes should have had the decency to stay away.

urban elitist on January 2, 2012 at 5:16 PM

bluegill on January 2, 2012 at 5:08 PM

Oh please. Romney loves this kind of attack. It plays right into his strategy of making ABO seem like a right wing crazy person.

angryed on January 2, 2012 at 5:16 PM

Kudos to Rich Lowry for not letting Colmes off the hook on this one. It was ghoulish of him to bring that up. Rich either was either going to force an apology or have Colmes dig the hole deeper.

In the end, Colmes looked incredibly ugly.

Matticus Finch on January 2, 2012 at 5:17 PM

You know, a century ago, maybe 125 years ago, that baby would have been delivered at the home in the first place. Its funeral would have been held in the family home as well. The thing is that within memory of our oldest living citizens, death was a lot more visible and present in their worlds.

People understood that death was a part of life – it wasn’t cloistered away in hospitals and funeral parlours. People saw their dead parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles and siblings laid out in the front room before the coffin was sealed and put in the ground. People understood that Sunday’s chicken dinner came from a bird which had been clucking around the yard earlier that day. People understood that the Christmas ham came from a real pig and that something died in order for them to eat it.

In the context of today’s “sanitsed” world in which death has increasingly become an abstraction, what Mr. Santorum and his wife chose to do was definitely not mainstream. But in the context of all of human history, it’s as normal as normal gets.

martin.hale on January 2, 2012 at 5:17 PM

Upon the development of photography in the 19th century, often parents of a child who died (either as a baby or a youngster) would have photographs taken of the deceased in order to remember the child. Bringing home a dead baby is not particularly different, just something Mr. Colmes would not do. Ignorance (or lack of diversity training) on Colmes part.

A.S.R. on January 2, 2012 at 5:17 PM

Got it.

catmman on January 2, 2012 at 4:57 PM

Might want to read:

“I don’t want to make black people’s lives better by giving them somebody else’s money,” Santorum begins. “I want to give them the opportunity to go out and earn the money and provide for themselves and their families.”

Now THAT’s racist. To imply that black people are the only people receiving government money. And this is something that he actually said, not something from 30 years ago that the candidate denies having written.

thphilli on January 2, 2012 at 5:17 PM

Bluray on January 2, 2012 at 4:55 PM

You’re exactly right. After the loss of our son, the hospital had given us several options…one being to bring the deceased home. We actually had the funeral in our home. Maybe some will call that creepy, but I don’t care. As I stated perviously, everyone grieves differently.

jbh45 on January 2, 2012 at 5:17 PM

AC is just pouting because no one wants to take his cadaver body home nd play with him.

But seriously I agree with the posters here and Fox is going down the tubes. I used to watch it all the time especially after 9/11. Their coverage was excellent. In the last 2 years they have declined and I don’t find them as fair and balanced as they once were.

FLconservative on January 2, 2012 at 5:18 PM

Like Hot Air

conservativeBC on January 2, 2012 at 5:04 PM

Gee that’s funny, it was posted here at HotAir two days ago.

Hmmm: Gingrich kills chapter on climate change in new book

I guess you missed it in your haste to throw out meaningless crap.

JPeterman on January 2, 2012 at 5:19 PM

Jailbreak on January 2, 2012 at 5:16 PM

Quel surprise. The biggest Romney pimp on HA sides with Colmes on this.

angryed on January 2, 2012 at 5:19 PM

It’s not what most parents would do, but it’s not “crazy.”

I’m not a Santorum fan but I don’t have a problem with it. I’m not sure what I would do if I were in his shoes and hope I never have to find out, but I appreciate the principle behind it.

FloatingRock on January 2, 2012 at 5:20 PM

hillsoftx on January 2, 2012 at 4:56 PM

Thread winner.

Robert_Paulson on January 2, 2012 at 4:59 PM

Kenosha Kid on January 2, 2012 at 5:20 PM

I can’t stand Santorum but he deserves to be defended on this score.

lexhamfox on January 2, 2012 at 4:57 PM

I don’t always agree with you, but I always know your heart’s in the right place.

Ed Morrissey on January 2, 2012 at 5:21 PM

Colmes didn’t make himself look like too much of a jerk. I guess it would have much better if Rick and his wife would have just thrown the baby into the trash along with all the aborted fetuses that Colmes fights so hard for. Who needs to debate liberals? Just let them talk for two minutes and they show themselves to be ill informed, nasty, bigoted, and unable to express thoughts without using some form of profanity or vulgarity.

Frank Drebin on January 2, 2012 at 5:21 PM

Until they took the dead child to bed, and slept with it. With his wife. That’s nuts! Funny how to fail to mention that part.

rubberneck on January 2, 2012 at 5:21 PM

I am not a fan Colmes by any means, but that is very, very creepy and frankly I think it is child abuse to show your children a dead baby.

Santorum is nuts…I’m sorry but what on earth would get someone to do that to their children…

georgealbert on January 2, 2012 at 5:21 PM

So a father shouldn’t let his kids understand the sanctity of human life and that they actually had a brother and not a clump of cells?

Bluray on January 2, 2012 at 5:22 PM

The Democrat position on kids:

If it has Downs, kill it. If you see a woman with a Downs child, ridicule her.

If it dies in the womb, throw it into the nearest trash bin. If you see someone giving it a proper burial, ridicule him.

angryed on January 2, 2012 at 5:22 PM

too bad colmes paretns decided not to bring him home to be played with. seems like he missed some kind of human bonding or something at an early age…

i have a son who has CP. he had a brain hemorage at 3 days old. called an intraventricualr hemorage. its a very long story, wont go into all details. my wife was in another hospital after an emergency C-section, i was there alone. the doctors told me he may live a few days. no one knew. if you havent been thru that guys, please, its hard to say what you would find weird. when you see a 3 pound, 3-day old baby, with more wires hanging out of him than the back of your computer gasping with all his little might to breathe, inside a plastic box, and you cant touch him. you dont even know if you want to for fear you might hurt him. but all you want to do is just hold him and try to help, and you are helpless…inside that plastic box (an isolet)…12 inches away..and you cant touch him….it changes you.

he’s ok. he lived. several brain surgeries. and he is only a hemiplegic. we are extremely lucky. i cant even tell you how lucky, after what he and we went thru. he is amazing. i am crying now. damn.

t8stlikchkn on January 2, 2012 at 5:22 PM

This doesn’t change anything for me. Colmes and Santorum are d-bags. Same as it ever was.

M240H on January 2, 2012 at 5:23 PM