Quotes of the day

posted at 9:00 pm on January 1, 2012 by Allahpundit

“While Iowa-watchers obsess over Rick Santorum’s miniature surge and Mitt Romney’s late strength, there’s one other candidate on an upward trajectory: Rick Perry.

“Aided by millions of dollars’ worth of television ads boosting him and tearing down his rivals, the thoroughly humbled Texas governor has crept up in Iowa polling in recent weeks, improving from his crash-and-burn to reliably score in double digits…

“As the days to the caucuses wane, Perry has things other candidates would kill for: Crowds who want to meet him, ads all over the airwaves, a decent ground organization, an anti-Washington message people are hungry for, and terrific hair. The question is whether it’s too little, too late, to get through the crowded pack ahead of him.”

***

“A few months ago, who would have believed that Gov. Rick Perry would spend his last five days before the Iowa caucus running attacks on Rick Santorum? But there Perry was, in a tiny room upstairs at Doughy Joey’s Peetza Joynt in Waterloo, uncorking a mini stem-winder, assaulting Santorum for his time in Washington: Santorum voted for pork barrel projects and earmarks, including a teapot museum in North Carolina and Alaska’s Bridge to Nowhere. Santorum also voted—multiple times—to raise the debt ceiling. (Perry has an ad up on the air hitting Santorum on these same points.)

“It was the kind of performance that reminds you why Perry is still dangerous. He was forceful, direct, and fluid. The crowd of 100 interrupted him with applause. Both before and after the speech, he worked the room with smooth professionalism. Perry hasn’t won every election he’s entered since 1985 by accident.”

***

“Aside from Iowa frontrunners Mitt Romney and Ron Paul, Perry is thought to be the only Republican candidate here with the kind of sophisticated ground game to pull off a much-needed comeback

“As of Friday, the Texas governor had signed up 1,500 precinct leaders in Iowa, a source inside the Perry campaign told CNN…

“The Perry camp also has 470 out-of-state volunteers descending on Iowa this weekend (including Perry’s own family, which flew in on Friday).

“The source said that by caucus night, ‘we will easily have over 2,000 Perry volunteers’ fanning out across the state knocking on doors and speaking for Perry at their voting sites.”

***

“A flat tax. A part-time Congress. An ad that praised celebrating Christmas in schools and scorned gays in the military. A sharpened stance against abortion. And this week, Perry barnstormed Iowa with a conservative rock star, Sheriff Joe Arpaio of Arizona, condemned by the Obama Justice Department for alleged civil rights abuses.

“Ever since Perry vaulted to the top of the pack upon entering the race in September — and tumbled almost as quickly in part because of a series of erratic, and sometimes downright comedic, debate performances — he’s been groping for a way to get hot again. And more than any other candidate in the field, he’s resorted to the kind of gimmick plays that can sometimes turn things around, but can just as easily backfire

“Perry has pledged other seemingly Herculean feats. He vowed to balance the budget by 2020, in part by capping federal spending at 18% of gross domestic product — a cap so low that most economists have dismissed it as impossible. He told one attendee at an event in Creston that if he failed to balance the budget by then, he’d slash his own executive salary — never mind that 2020 would be the final year of a second Perry term…

“Supporter Bill Thomas, 63, of Indianola was impressed, saying Perry had overcome his debate foibles. ‘Yeah, he’s getting better,’ Thomas said. ‘It’s not so much what they say; it’s what they’ve done.’”

***

“Almost all the candidates had one or another of these factors working in their favor. Newt Gingrich, the former House speaker, was named the most knowledgeable, for instance, Mr. Romney the most electable, and Representative Ron Paul of Texas the most likely to reduce the size of government. Representative Michele Bachmann of Minnesota and Rick Santorum, the former senator of Pennsylvania, rated well on the attribute of relating to ordinary Iowans.

“Mr. Perry was the exception; he did not lead the field in any of the nine categories. For all his swagger, in other words, Mr. Perry is failing to stand out from the crowd. Despite spending $4.3 million in advertising, his brand has become poorly differentiated from the other Republican contenders…

“In turning his attention to Mr. Santorum and to socially conservative voters, Mr. Perry may have helped to entrench his status as a second-tier candidate, competing for a fraction of the electorate that can help a candidate to win Iowa but becomes less relevant outside of it.”

***

“The two Iowa surveys released this week (from CNN/Time/ORC and NBC/Marist) have each shown Romney, Ron Paul and Rick Santorum in the top three. Senior Romney advisers argue, convincingly, that if those three ultimately constitute Iowa’s top tier the order in which they finish won’t matter much: any of those combinations would benefit Romney. The reason is that such a finish would deny an Iowa boost to Newt Gingrich or Rick Perry.

“Each man, for all of his struggles in the race, still probably has more residual potential to attract a broad coalition against Romney in other states than Paul or Santorum. But given the wounds Gingrich and Perry have accumulated (many self-inflicted), neither is likely to revive enough to present such a threat without a strong injection of momentum from Iowa. Even that might not be enough to really earn them a second look in other states, but without such a boost their odds of making a last stand against Romney could dwindle toward the microscopic…

“What’s more, it’s highly possible that even if Santorum finishes near the top here, the outcome will be too jumbled to convince Gingrich or Perry, and maybe even Michele Bachmann, to quit the race before making a last-stand in South Carolina. That would create what the Romney camp considers ‘an ideal situation, to be blunt,’ as one puts it: the possibility that several candidates to his right will continue to fragment conservative voters in New Hampshire and especially in South Carolina.”

***

“‘We have Fred Thompson to thank for McCain as the Republican nominee in 2008,’ wrote Lane, who said he sees Santorum playing a similar role this time by undercutting better-funded opponents.

“Referring to the local social conservative leaders in Iowa who have endorsed the former Pennsylvania senator in recent weeks, Lane continued, ‘If Santorum gets traction, we’ll have Santorum (and the IA ‘Family Policy Boys’) to thank for Romney as the Republican nominee in ’12, and the reelection of Obama on Nov. 6, 2012.’

“In an email to POLITICO, Lane elaborated: ‘Right now it looks like 2008. Evangelicals, generally speaking, don’t understand politics.’”

***

“Republican presidential candidate Rick Perry will skip New Hampshire Wednesday, hours after the nation’s first presidential contest in Iowa, to campaign in South Carolina — a strong sign the Texas governor is depending on the Palmetto State to help keep him in the race…

“‘Why use resources in a state where there is no fit?’ said the source close to the Perry campaign, who requested anonymity because he had not been cleared to comment by Perry’s national campaign. ‘The effort is being made to focus and hunt where the ducks are. For Rick Perry, those ducks are clearly in South Carolina. For Mitt Romney, those ducks are clearly in New Hampshire.’”

***

“Two thousand twelve was supposed to be the year the Tea Party picked a Republican presidential candidate. It was supposed to be this great, historic opportunity for conservatives to finally get a nominee without compromising. But the two candidates who would probably be judged the most pure of all could be days away from seeing their campaigns ended, and the two candidates who are seen as having strayed the most from the party line over the years are leading nationally.

“Lots of factors combined to bring us to this point, but the simplest explanation is that Republicans are going for intellect — which brings with it a sense of competence — over ideology. Bush fatigue probably explains a lot of that, as does the desire to beat Obama, who is far less intellectual than he is made out to be, but who is nonetheless a sharp and nimble adversary. Republican voters seem to be seeking a nominee who is sharper than Obama and more competent than Bush, and judging both Bachmann and Perry as inadequate by both measures.”

***

***

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Far as I know Debtors Prisons are still outlawed too.

workingclass artist on January 1, 2012 at 11:22 PM

They will sue you for fraud, just like Vegas casino’s do for gamblers who run out on their debts.

RickB on January 1, 2012 at 11:31 PM

Cindy Munford on January 1, 2012 at 11:27 PM

Sorry about inserting the “s” in your name. Still a little fuzzy today, lol.

Fallon on January 1, 2012 at 11:33 PM

Totally OT – you were the one expecting the first grandbaby right? Has he/she arrived yet?

gophergirl on January 1, 2012 at 11:28 PM

Not yet. My daughter is due at the end of February and it’s… a girl. I’m tickled pink.

Fallon on January 1, 2012 at 11:35 PM

Fallon on January 1, 2012 at 11:35 PM

Good deal..:)

Dire Straits on January 1, 2012 at 11:36 PM

Fallon on January 1, 2012 at 11:33 PM

Don’t give it a thought, I didn’t even notice.

Cindy Munford on January 1, 2012 at 11:36 PM

kim roy on January 1, 2012 at 11:28 PM

I haven’t read all of ya’lls comments so forgive if I’m missing something.

But isn’t it because otherwise, it was an elective vaccine?

catmman on January 1, 2012 at 11:36 PM

If he places very well. I reserve the right to do a little showboating on here Tuesday night.

gophergirl on January 1, 2012 at 11:26 PM

I’ll be happy that he proves the pundits wrong. Perry has the best record & appealing directly to voters has always been his strong suit. It’s old fashioned but voters like it.

workingclass artist on January 1, 2012 at 11:37 PM

Far as I know Debtors Prisons are still outlawed too.

workingclass artist on January 1, 2012 at 11:22 PM

They will sue for fraud just like Vegas casino’s do for anyone who runs out on their debts.

RickB on January 1, 2012 at 11:37 PM

gophergirl on January 1, 2012 at 11:28 PM

You have an excellent memory. Mine is going to you now where in a hand basket.

Cindy Munford on January 1, 2012 at 11:37 PM

Fallon on January 1, 2012 at 11:35 PM

Congrats. Can we call you “Granny Fallon” after the big event? :)

predator on January 1, 2012 at 11:38 PM

Fallon on January 1, 2012 at 11:35 PM

Congrats!

The wife and I have been enjoying the heck out of our first grandbaby over the holidays.

catmman on January 1, 2012 at 11:38 PM

Rick Santorum will make America stronger by making families stronger.

Santorum 2012

Punchenko on January 1, 2012 at 11:39 PM

Fallon on January 1, 2012 at 11:35 PM

Ahhh a future “Sarah Palin” coming into the world. Us conservative girls need all the reinforcements we can get :)

Glad everything is still going well for your daughter.

gophergirl on January 1, 2012 at 11:39 PM

Far as I know Debtors Prisons are still outlawed too.

workingclass artist on January 1, 2012 at 11:22 PM

They will sue for fraud just like the Vegas betting salon’s do to their customers that run out on their debts.

RickB on January 1, 2012 at 11:40 PM

Rick Santorum has the courage to fight for America. He has my support, my money, and my daughter if he will take her hand in marriage.

Santorum 2012

Punchenko on January 1, 2012 at 11:41 PM

canopfor on January 1, 2012 at 11:20 PM
Sounds good to me..:)

Dire Straits on January 1, 2012 at 11:25 PM

Dire Straits:)

canopfor on January 1, 2012 at 11:41 PM

Rick Santorum will make America stronger by making families stronger.

Santorum 2012

Punchenko on January 1, 2012 at 11:39 PM

Santorum is broke and can’t win in the south so I hope you have a backup

workingclass artist on January 1, 2012 at 11:42 PM

workingclass artist on January 1, 2012 at 11:37 PM

I’ll probably be too excited to type to be honest.

Was reading some Perry twitter feeds – apparently he has everybody coming on his behalf tomorrow. One last push.

gophergirl on January 1, 2012 at 11:43 PM

Santorum 2012

Punchenko on January 1, 2012 at 11:41 PM

I’m normally pro-harem but somehow I think having two wives would harm Santorum’s electability.

ZGMF_Freedom on January 1, 2012 at 11:44 PM

Congrats. Can we call you “Granny Fallon” after the big event? :)

predator on January 1, 2012 at 11:38 PM

I told my daughter I was going with Contessa Moma (pronounced like the Museum of Modern Art MO-ma). Hubby said if I get Contessa, he’s going with The Commodore. This poor baby will have weird grandparents either way. I’ll proudly answer to Granny Fallon, though. Thank you.

Fallon on January 1, 2012 at 11:44 PM

I’ll probably be too excited to type to be honest.

gophergirl on January 1, 2012 at 11:43 PM

Perry will most likely finish 5th, just a tad behind Gingrich. I’ll be extremely happy if he finishes 4th.

ZGMF_Freedom on January 1, 2012 at 11:45 PM

Congrats!

catmman on January 1, 2012 at 11:38 PM

Congrats to you too. When my parents became grandparents it’s amazing how much more they let their grandchildren get away with then they let their kids.

I think I got screwed.

gophergirl on January 1, 2012 at 11:45 PM

My family is at risk, friends. My family is being made weaker every time we see Kim Kardashian on television. Rick Santorum will fix our Kim problem by signing a bill into law that will FORCE her to wear a dress that covers her ankles.

Santorum 2012

Punchenko on January 1, 2012 at 11:46 PM

ZGMF_Freedom on January 1, 2012 at 11:45 PM

I’m thinking 2nd or 3rd. Probably my preference talking but I think Gingrich and Paul are going to tank.

gophergirl on January 1, 2012 at 11:47 PM

canopfor on January 1, 2012 at 11:41 PM

Here is latest I’ve seen on the arson fires in Hollywood..:)

Dire Straits on January 1, 2012 at 11:47 PM

You have an excellent memory. Mine is going to you now where in a hand basket.

Cindy Munford on January 1, 2012 at 11:37 PM

It’s funny what I remember but yet I can’t remember what I wore to work the day before.

gophergirl on January 1, 2012 at 11:48 PM

Perry is wasting his time. He, like Palin, rise in the polls until they open their mouth. Then it’s back to the cellar.

csdeven on January 1, 2012 at 11:48 PM

I’ll proudly answer to Granny Fallon, though. Thank you.

Fallon on January 1, 2012 at 11:44 PM

You’re welcome, Granny Fallon.

predator on January 1, 2012 at 11:48 PM

Dire, Catmman, Gopher et al, thank you for the good words. It’s an exciting time. I am trying so hard not to go too crazy.

Fallon on January 1, 2012 at 11:50 PM

gophergirl on January 1, 2012 at 11:45 PM

Exception to this rule is being the youngest (baby) of the family..:)

Dire Straits on January 1, 2012 at 11:50 PM

The liberal Media and “Policy Boys” are giving Santorum a bump in Iowa at just the right time (if we had 2-3 weeks we could discuss Santorum backing Specter over Toomey in 04′, which cost Santorum his PA Senate seat in 2006

Then in 2008
Santorum endorses Romney, Hates McCain
and finally in 2008
Santorum endorses McCain over Huckabee in the 08′ Primary

Romney needs Santorum in Iowa real bad…if Newt or Rick Perry get their ticket punched in Iowa, Romney’s dead.

nancysabet on January 1, 2012 at 11:50 PM

Have a great night all.

48 hours from now – we’ll know who won Iowa – hopefully.

gophergirl on January 1, 2012 at 11:52 PM

gophergirl on January 1, 2012 at 11:47 PM

Remember, there’s no Democrat primary this year so Paul will get all of the non-GOP vote. He will finish in the top 2. Romney will get his 25% liberal GOP vote. A top 2 finish is out of the question.

Sanatorium’s momentum among the evangelicals is real. Perry’s only hope for a top 3 finish is if he takes a significant chunk of vote away from a falling Gingrich and Bachmann while not losing too much of the evangelical vote to Santorium.

ZGMF_Freedom on January 1, 2012 at 11:52 PM

gophergirl on January 1, 2012 at 11:52 PM

‘Night, gg.

predator on January 1, 2012 at 11:54 PM

Santorum. I blame spellchecker.

ZGMF_Freedom on January 1, 2012 at 11:54 PM

I think I got screwed.

gophergirl on January 1, 2012 at 11:45 PM

Thanks!

Funny you mention that, it is kinda weird coming at things from the grandparent angle.

catmman on January 1, 2012 at 11:55 PM

Santorum. I blame spellchecker.

ZGMF_Freedom on January 1, 2012 at 11:54 PM

Heh. I thought you were just being snarky. :)

predator on January 1, 2012 at 11:56 PM

When the people on these threads present their fervor for their candidates, I don’t mind that they take shots at everybody but their candidate…but when it is all said and done over the next number of months…the ones who say stuff “they’ll vote for a 3rd party”, or “vote for every office except President” or “stay at home” or “will never vote for a Rhino again” or “will vote for JugEars” or for “whatever” reason you have for not voting for the eventual nominee against JugEars…for gawd’s sake look whose in there, the appointments, etc,….and, the destruction and insanity he has wrought!
As senile and as clueless a whore that McCain was…he could not have caused the destruction, the mood, and everything else that has happened to this country in 3 short years!
If some of you do as you say during the upcoming election…get off of Hot Air…go to your room, take off your clothes, and spend all your time, continually trying to reincarnate yourself!
Every candidate gawd help us…is still better than that POS golfing in Hawaii right now!(Even that crazy-azz doctor…if we can find the people to surround him with…to tighten the straps once in a while!) Anything…ANYTHING!would be better…then Bozo the WON!

KOOLAID2 on January 1, 2012 at 11:58 PM

KOOLAID2 on January 1, 2012 at 11:58 PM

I would take those kind of statements with a grain of salt. I’ve said them myself when I was annoyed but I’m pretty sure that when election day comes getting rid of Obama will be Job 1. I’m sure there will be some but I don’t think there will be many.

Cindy Munford on January 2, 2012 at 12:04 AM

Negative billing is negative billing. There’s a reason why people are trying to enact laws against it and get really irritated when it rears its head.

Plus, isn’t it interesting that they had to mandate an EO in order to have insurance companies finance it? Not enough money without the EO? Do we really want to follow the money trail with THAT point? Probably not.

kim roy on January 1, 2012 at 10:53 PM

lol Don’t waste your breath typed words on these people who truly see Rick Perry as a conservative Jesus.

LevinFan90 on January 2, 2012 at 12:07 AM

8. Rick Perry isn’t just talking about it, he’s actually cutting regulators in Texas.
workingclass artist on January 1, 2012 at 10:43 PM

link? Cause that’s awesome.

cptacek on January 2, 2012 at 12:12 AM

kim roy on January 1, 2012 at 10:53 PM

What does this mean?

cptacek on January 2, 2012 at 12:13 AM

Several of the hardcore Romney supporters here were the most vocal against Gov. Palin over the last year. Their brutality was out of scale considering she wasn’t a committed candidate and they didn’t lighten up when she decided not to run. What is really interesting is that as critical as they were of her, they were even more rude and dismissive of her supporters. So it is not without some surprise that they don’t understand how their persuasions for Romney are falling on not only deaf but defiant ears.

Cindy Munford on January 1, 2012 at 10:58 PM

I agree. I would like to take csdevan out to the woodshed. And I wasn’t even a commenter here when Palin was still thinking about it. If Romney loses, expect a whole thread of BWAHAHAHAHAs.

cptacek on January 2, 2012 at 12:14 AM

I always liked Palin…But her supporters have been trashin Perry ever since he entered the race.

I expect it of Romney supporters because he’s a competitor but she isn’t even in the race.

It gets old.

workingclass artist on January 1, 2012 at 11:06 PM

I don’t think this is true.

cptacek on January 2, 2012 at 12:15 AM

Regarding Perry, Conservatives should ask themselves this: Can a person–who grew up in a working class family, a family without much in the way of connections to wealth or power–rise to the rank of captain in the Air Force, and also win the office of Governor of Texas 3 times, without being highly intelligent as well as very determined?

ansonia on January 1, 2012 at 9:59 PM

Nice way to put it.

cptacek on January 2, 2012 at 12:15 AM

KOOLAID2 on January 1, 2012 at 11:58 PM

Oh, I think he could. He differed very little on many of the issues re. taxes,(he voted against extending the Bush tax cuts) he talked about changing the health care system so that every one would have health care, he was not keen on small government, he voted for TARP, he was a progressive! With the backing of the Pubs. in the House and Senate, he would have been just as bad as Obama. He may not have appointed out right Marxists as Czars, but he would have surrounded himself with RINOS, who are closet socialists. He would have already got amnesty passed for all of the illegals. He would have done nothing to secure the borders. In the 2010 mid-terms, there would have not been a tea party and the Pubs would not have won back the house or many of the governorships or some of the Senate seats. Things would be worse with McCain and will be worse with Romney.

they lie on January 2, 2012 at 12:15 AM

The Brian’s I know don’t want Paul either.

RickB on January 1, 2012 at 10:18 PM

lol

cptacek on January 2, 2012 at 12:15 AM

The Rothchilds told the Trilateral Commission to get the Mossad to send spidergoat hybrids to intimidate the AG in Carolina!

You won’t read about it in the next Ron Paul newsletter because he had to covertly convert to Judaism in order to win the election.

Watch for the telltale impression of a Star of David limned against his graying K-Mart t-shirt.

If Alex Jones reveals anything about it a CIA chem trail will silence him like that!

profitsbeard on January 2, 2012 at 12:17 AM

cptacek on January 2, 2012 at 12:14 AM

Be careful, you don’t want to be accused of obsessing. /

Cindy Munford on January 2, 2012 at 12:18 AM

What does this mean?

cptacek on January 2, 2012 at 12:13 AM

? for me too. Are they talking about the opt-in vs opt-out for the Gardasil controversy?

ZGMF_Freedom on January 2, 2012 at 12:21 AM

It gets old.

workingclass artist on January 1, 2012 at 11:06 PM

Maybe it is because Perry isn’t as conservative as he portrays himself and not as conservative as Sarah Palin. (statement, not a question)

LevinFan90 on January 2, 2012 at 12:22 AM

workingclass artist on January 1, 2012 at 10:43 PM
link? Cause that’s awesome.

cptacek on January 2, 2012 at 12:12 AM

cptacek:After a qiuck,googly!
================================

2012 Presidential White Paper #10
**********************************

Texas Governor Rick Perry
***************************
***************************

REGULATION

Excessive government regulation stymies individual and business innovation necessary for strong economic expansion. The Club for Growth supports less and more sensible government regulation as a critical step toward increasing freedom and growth in the marketplace.

Evaluating Governor Perry’s record on regulation is difficult due to Texas’s already stellar regulatory climate. It was named the #1 State to do business in by CEO Magazine in 2011 for the seventh year in a row, in no small part because of its regulatory climate. Nevertheless, Governor Perry has found ways to improve that climate further.

For example, he signed a bill into law that allowed public universities to set their own tuition rates. He also introduced sweeping deregulation into Texas’s telecommunications industry, which opened up markets to new broadband providers. Governor Perry also has a well-documented record of fighting anti-growth climate regulation – including suing the EPA “to block it from regulating greenhouse gas pollution.”

However, Perry has taken a contradictory stand on energy production. He signed higher wind energy standards into law in 2005, mandating a minimum production schedule. But at the same time, Perry has claimed that he is against both the tax credit for Ethanol and against mandating Ethanol production. The Des Moines Register reported that Perry is “against the Renewable Fuel Standard that mandates ethanol use.…[Perry has] called for a 50 percent reduction in the RFS which now requires use of up to almost 14 billion gallons of ethanol.” This is contradictory: Perry can’t reasonably claim to be in favor of mandates for one type of energy production but not for others. He should clarify his position
(More…..)
============

canopfor on January 2, 2012 at 12:24 AM

Rick Perry is the dovahkiin.

Flapjackmaka on January 2, 2012 at 12:28 AM

KOOLAID2 on January 1, 2012 at 11:58 PM

Cindy Munford on January 2, 2012 at 12:04 AM

I hope so Cindy.
I’ve seen people here over the years, switching to other people, changing and switching to another candidate…but some seem as ignorant as the 39% or 47% (whatever the poll of the moment is)…that personally approve of the Dope & Change clown, if not his policies. That man has no character! At least all of our candidates I think, know where their shortcomings are.

KOOLAID2 on January 2, 2012 at 12:29 AM

Rick Perry is the dovahkiin.

Flapjackmaka on January 2, 2012 at 12:28 AM

until he took an arrow to the knee.

ZGMF_Freedom on January 2, 2012 at 12:29 AM

It gets old.

workingclass artist on January 1, 2012 at 11:06 PM

The one thing I dislike about Palin is that she never admits fault. Then again, it is hard to show any weakness when the media is literally stalking you in your own backyard.

ZGMF_Freedom on January 2, 2012 at 12:31 AM

until he took an arrow to the knee.

ZGMF_Freedom on January 2, 2012 at 12:29 AM

Well played. Well played, indeed

Flapjackmaka on January 2, 2012 at 12:35 AM

In traveling around Iowa and New Hampshire over the last few weeks, I have been struck by the number of Democrats and independents who still more or less want Obama to win and deeply fear the consequences of a government dominated by Republicans. But having made this clear, they then bring up the ways in which they cannot summon the emotions on Obama’s behalf this year that they felt the first time around.

I love, love, love it when E.J. Dionee and Michael Tomasky cry like tiny boys when they lose their pacifiers.

Schadenfreude on January 2, 2012 at 12:37 AM

S.b. E. J. Dionne

Schadenfreude on January 2, 2012 at 12:37 AM

Ahhhh, a boy cheerleader thread…

Gohawgs on January 2, 2012 at 12:39 AM

Schadenfreude on January 2, 2012 at 12:37 AM

Oh those scary Republicans. I wonder just what it is that they think the Republicans would do worse than what The Won has accomplished?

Cindy Munford on January 2, 2012 at 12:41 AM

Punchenko on January 1, 2012 at 11:46 PM

Do you suffer much with the ID-10-T syndrome?

chemman on January 2, 2012 at 12:46 AM

It gets old.

workingclass artist on January 1, 2012 at 11:06 PM

LevinFan90 on January 2, 2012 at 12:22 AM

I suspect something happened behind the scenes between them that we don’t know about. She went to Texas to campaign for him during a tough primary, and the next thing you know she trashed him on FOX. I’m guessing they had some kind of deal and one of them didn’t hold up their end of the bargain.

Walter Sobchak on January 2, 2012 at 12:47 AM

Cindy Munford on January 2, 2012 at 12:41 AM

Indeed, indeed.

May the year be a good one for us, CM.

That w/b good for the land and the world, no matter how delusional some are.

Until then, however, they’ll portray anyone who’s not Obama as the devils.

Schadenfreude on January 2, 2012 at 12:48 AM

they lie on January 2, 2012 at 12:15 AM

I respect that opinion…but…YOU LIE! (:>)

KOOLAID2 on January 2, 2012 at 12:48 AM

Ahhhh, a boy cheerleader thread…

Gohawgs on January 2, 2012 at 12:39 AM

Good one, that’s mean.

Schadenfreude on January 2, 2012 at 12:49 AM

ansonia on January 1, 2012 at 9:59 PM

The second part is correct but rising to the rank of Captain is not quiet that difficult especially for a pilot. Your argument would have been better to state that he achieved pilot status which is much more difficult.

chemman on January 2, 2012 at 12:54 AM

Schadenfreude on January 2, 2012 at 12:48 AM

Let the year be good to all of us.

Cindy Munford on January 2, 2012 at 12:56 AM

When all else fails, massively Texas size exaggerate your accomplishments and your opponents flaws. It is the way of the illegal alien supporting candidate in the race.

astonerii on January 2, 2012 at 12:56 AM

Let the year be good to all of us.

Cindy Munford on January 2, 2012 at 12:56 AM

Hear!..Hear!..:)

PS..Happy New Year to you and your family Mrs. Munford..:)

Dire Straits on January 2, 2012 at 12:58 AM

Schadenfreude on January 2, 2012 at 12:48 AM

Happy New Year..:)

Dire Straits on January 2, 2012 at 12:59 AM

They flooded the conservative blogs. Geller led the charge.

workingclass artist on January 1, 2012 at 11:18 PM

Don’t leave out good ol’ Malkin! She says that her attacks were just simply “toughening” the candidates up. :rollseyes:

Aslans Girl on January 2, 2012 at 1:00 AM

Dire Straits on January 2, 2012 at 12:58 AM

Happy New Year to you and your family also. I hope the holidays were good to you.

Cindy Munford on January 2, 2012 at 1:06 AM

We need Ron Paul, why, because what could be better than a POTUS who is constantly forgetting to put on pants in the morning.

Bishop on January 1, 2012 at 9:18 PM

Well, there goes half of the male population in any future election cycle.

Midwestprincesse on January 1, 2012 at 9:22 PM

I know I am late to this thread…

… but never underestimate the allure of dangling aged flesh with gray pubic hairs.

Seven Percent Solution on January 2, 2012 at 1:08 AM

Cindy Munford on January 2, 2012 at 1:06 AM

Thank you..I’m wearing shades..:)

Dire Straits on January 2, 2012 at 1:08 AM

Quick Pop in,Happy New Year everyone,and
GoodNight—————————–:)

O/T,Intell Alert!
*****************

4 firebombing attacks in Queens, NY, being investigated as bias crimes with Muslims as targets – @nytimesStory metadata:
Submitted 3 mins ago from http://www.nytimes.com by editor

+++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++

Submitted 2 mins ago from http://www.nytimes.com by editor

============================

canopfor on January 2, 2012 at 1:12 AM

Happy New Year..:)

Dire Straits on January 2, 2012 at 12:59 AM

Thank you friend. I wish the same to you and yours, and our beloved land.

Schadenfreude on January 2, 2012 at 1:13 AM

Dire Straits on January 2, 2012 at 1:08 AM

Why are you wearing shades?

Cindy Munford on January 2, 2012 at 1:15 AM

Seven Percent Solution on January 2, 2012 at 1:08 AM

I need some 100% bleach Solution after reading that comment…/

Gohawgs on January 2, 2012 at 1:16 AM

Thank you..I’m wearing shades..:)

Dire Straits on January 2, 2012 at 1:08 AM

Great comment :)

Schadenfreude on January 2, 2012 at 1:17 AM

Why are you wearing shades?

Cindy Munford on January 2, 2012 at 1:15 AM

Cuz…

Gohawgs on January 2, 2012 at 1:18 AM

Seven Percent Solution on January 2, 2012 at 1:08 AM

I’m wearing shades..:)

Dire Straits on January 2, 2012 at 1:08 AM

Schadenfreude on January 2, 2012 at 1:19 AM

Gohawgs on January 2, 2012 at 1:16 AM

I had to get some Tums, I was all queasy and stuff.

Cindy Munford on January 2, 2012 at 1:19 AM

Gohawgs on January 2, 2012 at 1:18 AM

LOL! How silly of me, I wasn’t thinking.

Cindy Munford on January 2, 2012 at 1:21 AM

Dire when a typo happens

Gohawgs on January 2, 2012 at 1:25 AM

Walter Sobchak on January 2, 2012 at 12:47 AM

Maybe. Or Palin campaigned for him because he was up against an even bigger RINO than himself…Kay Hutchison. Sort of like how the U.S. supported the Red Army for a short time because there was a common enemy. But the alliance wasn’t a friendship. That sort of thing.

LevinFan90 on January 2, 2012 at 1:26 AM

Something I found interesting regarding Rick Perry.

From Public Policy Polling:

Selzer had Santorum at 9% Tu-W. We had him at `10% M-Tu. Surge quite possibly generated by CNN poll that was quite possibly wrong

If CNN had shown Perry at 15% and he got all the momentum stories, the buzz in Iowa might be all about him this weekend

Source

gyrmnix on January 2, 2012 at 1:42 AM

nancysabet on January 1, 2012 at 11:50 PM

Yeah….because Newt and Perry have shown incredible organizational and fundraising prowess to go on and compete in New Hampshire, South Carolina, Florida, and everywhere else.

BocaJuniors on January 2, 2012 at 2:02 AM

BocaJuniors on January 2, 2012 at 2:02 AM

Early days, not the first caucus or vote has been made.

Cindy Munford on January 2, 2012 at 2:16 AM

Good night and sweet dreams everyone!!!

Cindy Munford on January 2, 2012 at 2:22 AM

Hello, cptacek. Thank you for the complement at 12:15. Hello, chemman. Thank you for the helpful critique at 12:54.
—Ansonia

ansonia on January 2, 2012 at 2:43 AM

Look for John Bolton to endorse Santorum “soon”. Former mid-west governor and radio personality to endorse Santorum Thursday morning.

Deep Timber on January 2, 2012 at 2:51 AM

Walter Sobchak on January 2, 2012 at 12:47 AM

Shack.

Deep Timber on January 2, 2012 at 3:17 AM

Rick Perry has bombed so badly in this campaign you almost have to pity the man. Yes, he is a doofus who has no business running for president, but that doesn’t mean he probably isn’t a good guy who will do the right thing after he drops out in the next month or two.

I bet that Rick Perry will have no problem campaigning for Romney after Romney clinches the nomination. Gingrich will probably also be a good sport and campaign with Romney. The name of the game is to defeat Obama, and all the candidates know it.

The one person who I would not like to see campaign IN PERSON with Romney is Sarah Palin. We don’t need her baggage and all the drama that surrounds her to taint Romney in the general election. However, she could still be effective campaigning on her own or by encouraging her supporters to help get out the vote for Romney.

Romney/Rubio sounds exciting!

bluegill on January 2, 2012 at 3:30 AM

who has no business running for president

Entertain me. What makes Romney great. Perry’s experience is conservative and what this country needs. There is no reason to support Romney. And Rubio has already stated multiple times in no uncertain terms that he will be VP.

Flapjackmaka on January 2, 2012 at 3:36 AM

Aslans Girl on January 2, 2012 at 1:00 AM

I applaud Malkin for helping to expose the Rick Perry myth. Rick Perry plummeted in the polls after more people got a closer look at him (and heard him attempt to speak) and reviewed his real record. Perry is a joke!

bluegill on January 2, 2012 at 3:43 AM

Perry is a joke!

I bet along with your gills, your voting record is also blue.

Flapjackmaka on January 2, 2012 at 3:45 AM

bluegill on January 2, 2012 at 3:43 AM

If we’re judging the candidates in terms of fiscal conservatism, Perry would come in second behind Ron Paul. He is the only other one proposing real tax and spending cuts (I’d argue, however, that he doesn’t go far enough). Although I’m not a fan of his tax proposal.

Mitt Romney’s plan is not impressive at all. It’s minor, if any, spending cuts with stimulus in the form of tax reductions. It’ll just lead to more Bush style budget deficits.

Santorum’s plan is outrageously vague and not worth consideration. It is worth noting that Santorum’s voting record proves he’s just another big government “conservative.” But, I don’t consider joke candidates outside of a joke context.

In my opinion, it’s time for Republicans to understand that tax cuts alone are not going to cut it anymore (Romney and Gingrich come to mind immediately). If they want to be taken seriously, they need serious spending cuts to go along with it.

gyrmnix on January 2, 2012 at 5:10 AM

Maybe, instead of being shallow, you shuold look at his record — in his record there is not just “beef”, but Grade-A RED Conservative MEAT.

Aslans Girl on January 1, 2012 at 10:44 PM

In my case, I looked at his record and was impressed. I was glad he entered the race and was looking forward to him being a strong candidate. But then problems started. Not just his over-the-top pronouncements or speaking missteps either. I turned from him when I heard his proposals for taxation, the economy and entitlements in particular. I do not think that he has what it takes to resolve the problems we face.

His proposals, to me, seem unrealistic in that they could never pass unless we had 70 senators (many a GOP could not stomach them) and a huge majority of representatives. Even then, they would have to passed in a manner like ObamaCare, that is running completely roughshod of the other side and thus would not stand the test of time. He convinced me that there is no way he could appeal to a broad enough segment of Americans to win a general election. No way, no how.

MJBrutus on January 2, 2012 at 5:41 AM

I’m going out on a limb here and really think Perry may take third place.

Can anyone fill me in on what time the Iowa results will start coming in on Tuesday?

JPeterman on January 1, 2012 at 9:24 PM

I will try while at my caucus…I imagine it will be alternatly boring and exciting. Can’t wait for the Paulbots and the OWS crowd to interject their usual noise….I am going to try to go to the coffee shop today that ousted the OWS creeps…

lovingmyUSA on January 2, 2012 at 6:05 AM