Quotes of the day

posted at 9:00 pm on January 1, 2012 by Allahpundit

“While Iowa-watchers obsess over Rick Santorum’s miniature surge and Mitt Romney’s late strength, there’s one other candidate on an upward trajectory: Rick Perry.

“Aided by millions of dollars’ worth of television ads boosting him and tearing down his rivals, the thoroughly humbled Texas governor has crept up in Iowa polling in recent weeks, improving from his crash-and-burn to reliably score in double digits…

“As the days to the caucuses wane, Perry has things other candidates would kill for: Crowds who want to meet him, ads all over the airwaves, a decent ground organization, an anti-Washington message people are hungry for, and terrific hair. The question is whether it’s too little, too late, to get through the crowded pack ahead of him.”

***

“A few months ago, who would have believed that Gov. Rick Perry would spend his last five days before the Iowa caucus running attacks on Rick Santorum? But there Perry was, in a tiny room upstairs at Doughy Joey’s Peetza Joynt in Waterloo, uncorking a mini stem-winder, assaulting Santorum for his time in Washington: Santorum voted for pork barrel projects and earmarks, including a teapot museum in North Carolina and Alaska’s Bridge to Nowhere. Santorum also voted—multiple times—to raise the debt ceiling. (Perry has an ad up on the air hitting Santorum on these same points.)

“It was the kind of performance that reminds you why Perry is still dangerous. He was forceful, direct, and fluid. The crowd of 100 interrupted him with applause. Both before and after the speech, he worked the room with smooth professionalism. Perry hasn’t won every election he’s entered since 1985 by accident.”

***

“Aside from Iowa frontrunners Mitt Romney and Ron Paul, Perry is thought to be the only Republican candidate here with the kind of sophisticated ground game to pull off a much-needed comeback

“As of Friday, the Texas governor had signed up 1,500 precinct leaders in Iowa, a source inside the Perry campaign told CNN…

“The Perry camp also has 470 out-of-state volunteers descending on Iowa this weekend (including Perry’s own family, which flew in on Friday).

“The source said that by caucus night, ‘we will easily have over 2,000 Perry volunteers’ fanning out across the state knocking on doors and speaking for Perry at their voting sites.”

***

“A flat tax. A part-time Congress. An ad that praised celebrating Christmas in schools and scorned gays in the military. A sharpened stance against abortion. And this week, Perry barnstormed Iowa with a conservative rock star, Sheriff Joe Arpaio of Arizona, condemned by the Obama Justice Department for alleged civil rights abuses.

“Ever since Perry vaulted to the top of the pack upon entering the race in September — and tumbled almost as quickly in part because of a series of erratic, and sometimes downright comedic, debate performances — he’s been groping for a way to get hot again. And more than any other candidate in the field, he’s resorted to the kind of gimmick plays that can sometimes turn things around, but can just as easily backfire

“Perry has pledged other seemingly Herculean feats. He vowed to balance the budget by 2020, in part by capping federal spending at 18% of gross domestic product — a cap so low that most economists have dismissed it as impossible. He told one attendee at an event in Creston that if he failed to balance the budget by then, he’d slash his own executive salary — never mind that 2020 would be the final year of a second Perry term…

“Supporter Bill Thomas, 63, of Indianola was impressed, saying Perry had overcome his debate foibles. ‘Yeah, he’s getting better,’ Thomas said. ‘It’s not so much what they say; it’s what they’ve done.’”

***

“Almost all the candidates had one or another of these factors working in their favor. Newt Gingrich, the former House speaker, was named the most knowledgeable, for instance, Mr. Romney the most electable, and Representative Ron Paul of Texas the most likely to reduce the size of government. Representative Michele Bachmann of Minnesota and Rick Santorum, the former senator of Pennsylvania, rated well on the attribute of relating to ordinary Iowans.

“Mr. Perry was the exception; he did not lead the field in any of the nine categories. For all his swagger, in other words, Mr. Perry is failing to stand out from the crowd. Despite spending $4.3 million in advertising, his brand has become poorly differentiated from the other Republican contenders…

“In turning his attention to Mr. Santorum and to socially conservative voters, Mr. Perry may have helped to entrench his status as a second-tier candidate, competing for a fraction of the electorate that can help a candidate to win Iowa but becomes less relevant outside of it.”

***

“The two Iowa surveys released this week (from CNN/Time/ORC and NBC/Marist) have each shown Romney, Ron Paul and Rick Santorum in the top three. Senior Romney advisers argue, convincingly, that if those three ultimately constitute Iowa’s top tier the order in which they finish won’t matter much: any of those combinations would benefit Romney. The reason is that such a finish would deny an Iowa boost to Newt Gingrich or Rick Perry.

“Each man, for all of his struggles in the race, still probably has more residual potential to attract a broad coalition against Romney in other states than Paul or Santorum. But given the wounds Gingrich and Perry have accumulated (many self-inflicted), neither is likely to revive enough to present such a threat without a strong injection of momentum from Iowa. Even that might not be enough to really earn them a second look in other states, but without such a boost their odds of making a last stand against Romney could dwindle toward the microscopic…

“What’s more, it’s highly possible that even if Santorum finishes near the top here, the outcome will be too jumbled to convince Gingrich or Perry, and maybe even Michele Bachmann, to quit the race before making a last-stand in South Carolina. That would create what the Romney camp considers ‘an ideal situation, to be blunt,’ as one puts it: the possibility that several candidates to his right will continue to fragment conservative voters in New Hampshire and especially in South Carolina.”

***

“‘We have Fred Thompson to thank for McCain as the Republican nominee in 2008,’ wrote Lane, who said he sees Santorum playing a similar role this time by undercutting better-funded opponents.

“Referring to the local social conservative leaders in Iowa who have endorsed the former Pennsylvania senator in recent weeks, Lane continued, ‘If Santorum gets traction, we’ll have Santorum (and the IA ‘Family Policy Boys’) to thank for Romney as the Republican nominee in ’12, and the reelection of Obama on Nov. 6, 2012.’

“In an email to POLITICO, Lane elaborated: ‘Right now it looks like 2008. Evangelicals, generally speaking, don’t understand politics.’”

***

“Republican presidential candidate Rick Perry will skip New Hampshire Wednesday, hours after the nation’s first presidential contest in Iowa, to campaign in South Carolina — a strong sign the Texas governor is depending on the Palmetto State to help keep him in the race…

“‘Why use resources in a state where there is no fit?’ said the source close to the Perry campaign, who requested anonymity because he had not been cleared to comment by Perry’s national campaign. ‘The effort is being made to focus and hunt where the ducks are. For Rick Perry, those ducks are clearly in South Carolina. For Mitt Romney, those ducks are clearly in New Hampshire.’”

***

“Two thousand twelve was supposed to be the year the Tea Party picked a Republican presidential candidate. It was supposed to be this great, historic opportunity for conservatives to finally get a nominee without compromising. But the two candidates who would probably be judged the most pure of all could be days away from seeing their campaigns ended, and the two candidates who are seen as having strayed the most from the party line over the years are leading nationally.

“Lots of factors combined to bring us to this point, but the simplest explanation is that Republicans are going for intellect — which brings with it a sense of competence — over ideology. Bush fatigue probably explains a lot of that, as does the desire to beat Obama, who is far less intellectual than he is made out to be, but who is nonetheless a sharp and nimble adversary. Republican voters seem to be seeking a nominee who is sharper than Obama and more competent than Bush, and judging both Bachmann and Perry as inadequate by both measures.”

***

***

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Good. We need a strong Perry, a strong Romney, a mediocre Gingrich and a mediocre Santorum. That is how Ron Paul has a chance. Even if its only for a brokered convention.

thphilli on January 1, 2012 at 9:04 PM

Another quote of the day, from Dave Barry’s Year In Review:

In political news, Texas Gov. Rick Perry announces that he will seek the Republican nomination with a goal of “restoring the fundamental American right to life, liberty, and a third thing.”

itsnotaboutme on January 1, 2012 at 9:05 PM

Perry is still my choice, although I fear it will be Romney & at least Obama will be out of office.

I do not get the Ron Paul group.

RAGIN CAJUN on January 1, 2012 at 9:05 PM

I do not get the Ron Paul group.

RAGIN CAJUN on January 1, 2012 at 9:06 PM

America needs Newt, according to a former WH director of speeches in the Reagan administration. Newt’s plans are pro-growth and government limiting.

onlineanalyst on January 1, 2012 at 9:06 PM

Sorry, just can’t read about Rick Perry anymore. If Rick Perry came out like many (who did not know him from Texas) anticipated, he’d be the inevitable nominee, not slick hair Romneycare RINO from Massachusetts. The sea parted for Perry and he blew it.

conservative pilgrim on January 1, 2012 at 9:07 PM

Please Sarah, end it and endorse him

Flapjackmaka on January 1, 2012 at 9:10 PM

This whole thing is getting scary. There’s way too much at stake.

Run, Sarah, Run

davidk on January 1, 2012 at 9:11 PM

First.

Bishop on January 1, 2012 at 9:15 PM

The last Hot Gas poll here put Rick Perry second place so he could win in Iowa. He is getting a lot of people to go to his events. On Weds Mitt will pee his pants knowing he won’t be the nominee and Perry will be.

BroncosRock on January 1, 2012 at 9:16 PM

First.

Bishop on January 1, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Dude! I just don’t know how you do it.

davidk on January 1, 2012 at 9:16 PM

I do not get the Ron Paul group.

RAGIN CAJUN on January 1, 2012 at 9:05 PM

Ron Paul appeals to young, libertarian-minded Republicans who are interested in cutting government spending and keeping taxes low, but who also are vehemently anti-war. That’s really all there is to it. He’s made a name for himself as the anti-war Republican.

I don’t mind his foreign policy stances but I’m turned off by his reasoning for them. It’s one thing to make an argument that our military presence on the world stage is not worth the cost; that at least is a coherent argument that I could understand. But this constant refrain of “they hate us because of our foreign policy,” the unwillingness to impose sanctions on Iran, of all countries… that’s just a bridge too far for me. I like his domestic policies. I’m glad he’s managed to attract young folks to the cause of limited government. But he’s not my top choice; that’s still Perry.

Here’s hoping Perry can eke out a win in Iowa. He’s got movement. I hope it’s enough.

Caiwyn on January 1, 2012 at 9:17 PM

We need Ron Paul, why, because what could be better than a POTUS who is constantly forgetting to put on pants in the morning.

Bishop on January 1, 2012 at 9:18 PM

I really don’t care for Ron Brownstein, but he is right on the money. Perry needs a surprise top 3 to get a second look. Santorum does not have the legs to compete beyond Iowa.

Ted Torgerson on January 1, 2012 at 9:19 PM

If Rick Santorum get into the top three Iowans would have screwed Americans AGAIN. Please don’t Screw American again. We need the only candidate that SCARE MITT ” I am A PROGRESSIVE” Rommney.

BroncosRock on January 1, 2012 at 9:20 PM

Please Sarah, end it and endorse him

You read my mind

poljunkie51 on January 1, 2012 at 9:21 PM

Bishop on January 1, 2012 at 9:18 PM

Well, there goes half of the male population in any future election cycle.

Midwestprincesse on January 1, 2012 at 9:22 PM

If I thought Perry wouldn’t get trounced by O in debates, I’d forgive his “heartless” comment and support him. Newt (although I don’t entirely trust him) is the only one I have faith in to really beeyotch slap O on the debate stage.

predator on January 1, 2012 at 9:22 PM

That article from AmSpec is wildly off base, to put it mildly.

Purple Fury on January 1, 2012 at 9:24 PM

Ted Torgerson on January 1, 2012 at 9:19 PM

I’m going out on a limb here and really think Perry may take third place.

Can anyone fill me in on what time the Iowa results will start coming in on Tuesday?

JPeterman on January 1, 2012 at 9:24 PM

Please Sarah, end it and endorse him

You read my mind

poljunkie51 on January 1, 2012 at 9:21 PM

Why? I was a SP supporter and it wouldn’t change my mind. Well, if she showed up at my door with a case of Alaskan King Crabs…maybe we could talk. ;)

bazil9 on January 1, 2012 at 9:24 PM

I do not get the Ron Paul group.

RAGIN CAJUN on January 1, 2012 at 9:06 PM

I prefer zombie Justin Wilson.

RickB on January 1, 2012 at 9:25 PM

So Perry considers voters as ducks to be shot out of the sky or from inside a barrel? Way to go Rick.

Fletch54 on January 1, 2012 at 9:25 PM

Dude! I just don’t know how you do it.
davidk on January 1, 2012 at 9:16 PM

I’m a member of the Ohio Public Workers United Union, and therefore I have being “first” in every thread written into my generous contract with HotGas. I also get a company car.

I used to belong to the Communist Peoples Union of Wisconsin Public Workers, but since they caved to that fascist Scott Hitlerwalker, I decided to throw-in with the Ohioanitians.

Bishop on January 1, 2012 at 9:25 PM

Also we can’t have Newt in the top three because He was proud that he said the ERA OF REAGAN was over during Bush presidency. Newt is also a progressive.

BroncosRock on January 1, 2012 at 9:25 PM

Please Sarah, end it and endorse him

Flapjackmaka on January 1, 2012 at 9:10 PM

I bet she will, after Iowa

Sekhmet on January 1, 2012 at 9:25 PM

predator on January 1, 2012 at 9:22 PM

My thoughts also.

bazil9 on January 1, 2012 at 9:26 PM

I prefer zombie Justin Wilson.

RickB on January 1, 2012 at 9:25 PM

I gare own tee.

Rio Linda Refugee on January 1, 2012 at 9:27 PM

Yum crab!

Well, I would prefer Perry to Romney and I think he can go further than Santorum.

poljunkie51 on January 1, 2012 at 9:27 PM

There is something intrinsically appealing about Gov. Perry. As an executive, he does have a record of achievement that cannot be denied.

I get annoyed at interviewers like Wallace, who want to paint conservatives as being only concerned with social issues. Perry finessed that effort by Wallace quite well. I did have to laugh at Perry’s early snafus after entering the race as “a few bumps and grinds.”

Both Perry and Gingrich have actions, not just words, that demonstrate their committment to fiscal conservatism. Both, too, have a committment to a strong national defense.

onlineanalyst on January 1, 2012 at 9:28 PM

predator on January 1, 2012 at 9:22 PM

0bama’s debate skillz are overrated. It’s all a bunch of squee that got 0bama through debates in 2008.

Sekhmet on January 1, 2012 at 9:28 PM

Rick Perry is not afraid of Karl ROVE wing of the republican party. He will take Karl Rove ON and WIN AGAIN. Perry wins Mitch McConnell loses big time.

BroncosRock on January 1, 2012 at 9:29 PM

I do not get the Ron Paul group.

RAGIN CAJUN on January 1, 2012 at 9:06 PM

used to be called “kooks”. or “cranks”. get it?

t8stlikchkn on January 1, 2012 at 9:29 PM

poljunkie51 on January 1, 2012 at 9:27 PM

I prefer Perry to Romney too. I just don’t see it happening.

bazil9 on January 1, 2012 at 9:29 PM

I would love for Perry to mount a credible comeback in Iowa, but I really don’t feel it happening. I really see SC as make or break for ABR’s,and Perry or Newt need to pull it off.

Southernblogger on January 1, 2012 at 9:29 PM

t8stlikchkn on January 1, 2012 at 9:29 PM

Cultists

Southernblogger on January 1, 2012 at 9:31 PM

First.

Bishop on January 1, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Dude! I just don’t know how you do it.

davidk on January 1, 2012 at 9:16 PM

He was despondent, but you’ve got him patting himself on the back.

itsnotaboutme on January 1, 2012 at 9:32 PM

I prefer Perry to Romney too. I just don’t see it happening.

Ya, I know- things could have been sooo different.

poljunkie51 on January 1, 2012 at 9:32 PM

Sekhmet on January 1, 2012 at 9:28 PM

No doubt Obama is weak without TOTUS, but Perry has been pretty shaky too–sometimes downright disastrous. I don’t want to have to cut it that close. I want someone I think can really kick O’s azz HARD!

predator on January 1, 2012 at 9:33 PM

I firmly believe that Perry’s support runs quiet but deep. I know many people think that he has rock salt for brains, but Perry has rolled with the heat very well recently. He may turn out to be a total fizzle, but I think a lot of people still see him as the strongest and most viable conservative standard bearer in the race. I could be out to lunch over this hunch, but we shall see.

Git ‘Er Done Perry!

Spirit Crusher on January 1, 2012 at 9:34 PM

Bishop on January 1, 2012 at 9:18 PM

who has said he “forgot”? he could have used his free will and chosen that. it aint hurtin YOU now is it? he IS a libertardian. they do bongs in the morning too. so, ya know….

t8stlikchkn on January 1, 2012 at 9:34 PM

predator on January 1, 2012 at 9:22 PM

Because he of course can point to his record as Governor of the State of Texas for the past decade and the population growth and job record.

Newt’s “beeyotch slap O” in the debates is fantasy. I hate Obama as much as anyone but comparing Republican targets Newtie is a much bigger one. You think Obama is just going to crouch in fear?

Marcus on January 1, 2012 at 9:34 PM

I hear you, and I hope he can last until at least super Tuesday.

poljunkie51 on January 1, 2012 at 9:36 PM

Cultists

Southernblogger on January 1, 2012 at 9:31 PM

yes, much better. and when you factor in half his support is dem, or left-leaning indy, you also got a heaping helping of ‘provacatuer’ or ‘mischief-maker’.

t8stlikchkn on January 1, 2012 at 9:39 PM

You think Obama is just going to crouch in fear?

Marcus on January 1, 2012 at 9:34 PM

No, but I do believe that he is intellectually out gunned by Newt in a big way. And Obama has a past with some huge targets as well. Just because the lsm has ignored them all these years doesn’t mean Newt will.

predator on January 1, 2012 at 9:39 PM

Marcus on January 1, 2012 at 9:34 PM

I don’t think that there are any surprises against Newt that Obama’s opposition team could pull out of the woodwork, and I think that Newt could effectively demolish any Obama attack. Newt has been getting plenty of practice against his Republican opposition.

Obama, however, is quite vulnerable in trying to pit himself against Newt’s demonstrably deep and broad knowledge of history and supply-side economics. Obama would crumble in the face of fact-filled argument. Obama relies on slogans and vacuous talking points.

onlineanalyst on January 1, 2012 at 9:40 PM

Bishop on January 1, 2012 at 9:25 PM

Oh. OK.

davidk on January 1, 2012 at 9:41 PM

predator on January 1, 2012 at 9:33 PM

I cringed at every debate when it was Perry’s turn. Between his heartless comment and debate blunders, I was turned off. I wanted to like him.

Out in the real world, people I talk to think he is stupid and GWB the 2nd. I can get past it but the average voter I don’t think will.
That said, I will vote for him over Mitt.

bazil9 on January 1, 2012 at 9:41 PM

Rick Santorum is going to win Iowa….it must be all that charisma and charm that’s kept him down in the polls up till now ;)

Dr Evil on January 1, 2012 at 9:42 PM

Romney, Paul, and Perry are the only ones with the money and organization to run in all 50 states. I wouldn’t be surprised to see it come down to those three.

ModerateMan on January 1, 2012 at 9:42 PM

thphilli on January 1, 2012 at 9:04 PM

Ron Paul is imploding faster than Building 7.

Mimzey on January 1, 2012 at 9:43 PM

That said, I will vote for him over Mitt.

bazil9 on January 1, 2012 at 9:41 PM

Same here.

predator on January 1, 2012 at 9:44 PM

why would Sarah endorse a guy who would stick a government needle into Piper without her consent?

renalin on January 1, 2012 at 9:46 PM

Teehee, I’ve read most of these already :) I look forward to reading the ones I missed in a little bit.

And there’s more good news: one of Perry’s stops was at a coffe house, but the crowds were so large that they moved the event to the much larger “Gigglin’ Goat” and the crowds filled that venue so that it was jam-packed as well. *smiles*.

Perry rode in on a white horse, and now he gets to play dark horse.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on January 1, 2012 at 9:46 PM

ModerateMan on January 1, 2012 at 9:42 PM

The money will come when the voters have more exposure to the candidates during the primary season. They will be able to distinguish the difference between depth and veneer. It takes grit and committment to win, not just money.

Keep in mind how far behind McCain was, early in his run. Keep in mind that Huckabee was running a campaign on a shoestring, too.

onlineanalyst on January 1, 2012 at 9:46 PM

Marcus on January 1, 2012 at 9:34 PM

no one has said that i dont think. its just when BHO says incredibly stupid things (or rolls out and endless stream of strawman agruments, non sequiters, or paralipses) newt would have the wits to recognize it quickly and refute it quickly in debate format, with his rolo-dexion recall, call it what it is, and explain it as bullsh*t. on the spot. i think thats what those that espouse that are thinking. the others would perhaps not be so quick on the draw. that ‘calling out’ live as it happens, in a nationally televised debate with the low-information voters paying attention (presumably), they belive would be powerful, provide a stark contrast, and damning for BHO.

t8stlikchkn on January 1, 2012 at 9:46 PM

renalin on January 1, 2012 at 9:46 PM

Palin would be informed enough about the opt-out provision.

onlineanalyst on January 1, 2012 at 9:48 PM

predator on January 1, 2012 at 9:39 PM

I’d love to see it. Newt is the only one with enough nuts to do it. Every single other one of the others would either be tongue tied or be led off topic with Obamas relativistic crap and floating generalities imo.

Mimzey on January 1, 2012 at 9:48 PM

bazil9,

I was excited when Perry first got in, but the debates dulled that enthusiasm a lot. I like a lot of his positions (I love the part-time Congress deal), but he has yet to convince me he can win in the general.

Maybe his stumbles won’t matter. Depending on how economic matters go in ’12 it could be a lock for whoever goes against O. Time will tell.

predator on January 1, 2012 at 9:49 PM

Perry rode in on a white horse, and now he gets to play dark horse.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on January 1, 2012 at 9:46 PM

hold the phone pal, new tone and all…was that racist?

t8stlikchkn on January 1, 2012 at 9:49 PM

predator on January 1, 2012 at 9:39 PM

Mimzey on January 1, 2012 at 9:48 PM

I think Huntsman could stand up to Obama in a debate and win.

Dr Evil on January 1, 2012 at 9:49 PM

Marcus on January 1, 2012 at 9:34 PM

In the unlikely event that Newt were to get the nomination, Obama wouldn’t debate him. The kind of “ammunition” that Obama would use on Newt isn’t suited for face to face confrontation but on sleazy TV ads. I think Newt could out b.s. The Won every day of the week and twice on Sunday. But we will never know.

Cindy Munford on January 1, 2012 at 9:50 PM

thphilli on January 1, 2012 at 9:04 PM

Ron Paul is imploding faster than Building 7.

Mimzey on January 1, 2012 at 9:43 PM

Notice that he labels Santorum weak. I guess Paulbots would have something to fear if he wasn’t.

nobar on January 1, 2012 at 9:51 PM

Mimzey on January 1, 2012 at 9:48 PM

Agreed. And Mitt won’t do it ’cause he’s going to run the old McCain “nice guy” campaign. Hell, he won’t even call O a socialist.

predator on January 1, 2012 at 9:53 PM

Ron Paul is imploding faster than Building 7.

Mimzey on January 1, 2012 at 9:43 PM

Amazing what happens when the Federal Reserve, CIA, and the Joooooos put their heads together.

CorporatePiggy on January 1, 2012 at 9:54 PM

The Won every day of the week and twice on Sunday. But we will never know.

Cindy Munford on January 1, 2012 at 9:50 PM

The weakling needs to be mocked for the eunuch that he was/is/will be.

Schadenfreude on January 1, 2012 at 9:54 PM

Conservatives drafted Perry; he wasn’t ready, and was recovering from surgery. Perry has now recovered and is proving to be the excellent retail campaigner he was reputed to be. It’s time to put the “stupid” and “can’t debate” labels aside and realize he’s the best alternative to Romney of those we have to choose from, and after all, that’s what this is really all about. Here is a very convincing piece written by a bloger about why Perry’s most electable.

“When Republicans begin looking at the likely states Republicans can win in the general election, they will correctly conclude that Perry is the most electable candidate. The polls would suggest otherwise. But Romney’s preference is skewed by overwhelming margins in “blue states.” While it is true that he would do better than Perry in Pennsylvania or Michigan, will it still be enough for a win? Probably not! Perry will win the states that George W. Bush won in ’04. And, Perry will do better that all Republican candidates with three groups: “Blue Collar” Democrats, Hispanics and Evangelicals. This is absolutely critical in important swing states such as Colorado, Arizona and Nevada. Furthermore, his ability to mobilize Evangelicals could make the difference in Virginia and North Carolina. Florida will be close. But Evanglicals in the north are again a key voting block. Choosing New Mexico Goveror, Susana Martinez would likely “ice” Florida, New Mexico, and the other key swing states in the southwest that went “blue” in ’08.

It is not a mathematical certainty that Mitt Romney can win Perry’s home state. Republicans should really take note of this. The Lone Star State is 40% Hispanic. There are hundreds of thousands of Evangelicals. There are still legions of “Boll Weevils.” There is resentment that many of the northern Republicans have unjustly scrutized Governor Perry, introducing tainted information and proffering “know nothing” reflections that are based on the lack of experience. The best thing that could happen to the Republican party would be for all conservatives to unify behind Rick Perry. In reality, he is more “in sinc” with conservative principles than Mitt Romney. He is certainly more electable.”

nancysabet on January 1, 2012 at 9:54 PM

renalin on January 1, 2012 at 9:46 PM

That is 3 months and a MB breakdown ago.

Southernblogger on January 1, 2012 at 9:55 PM

Schadenfreude on January 1, 2012 at 9:54 PM

I guess we will have to leave that to Gov. Romney. Wow, that’s hard to type with a straight face.

Cindy Munford on January 1, 2012 at 9:56 PM

But we will never know.

Cindy Munford on January 1, 2012 at 9:50 PM

It’s too early to say “never” about Newt or several others at this point. This horse race ain’t a five furlong sprint; it’s a 3-mile steeplechase.

predator on January 1, 2012 at 9:56 PM

t8stlikchkn on January 1, 2012 at 9:34 PM

You may have a point, though I figured that when called on the fact that he wasn’t wearing any pants, Ron would blame U.S. foreign policy and then decry the White House walls as only being there to imprison him.

Bishop on January 1, 2012 at 9:56 PM

JPeterman on January 1, 2012 at 9:24 PM

Governor of Iowa said by 9 pm

workingclass artist on January 1, 2012 at 9:57 PM

Palin would be informed enough about the opt-out provision.

onlineanalyst on January 1, 2012 at 9:48 PM

That tardasil crap is small fries to glass jaw mitt.

Flapjackmaka on January 1, 2012 at 9:57 PM

bazil9,

predator on January 1, 2012 at 9:49 PM

I tend to agree with you but down here in Fl, whether it is family,friends, people I associate with business, see him as a dumber Bush. Fair or not, it is what people perceive. Just like Palin.

My visits here recently have shown me that some will not vote in the GE if it isn’t___________ fill in the blank candidate. Just depressing.

bazil9 on January 1, 2012 at 9:57 PM

t8stlikchkn on January 1, 2012 at 9:34 PM

Bishop on January 1, 2012 at 9:56 PM

Is Ron Paul still publishing his newsletter? Are you on his mailing list, I swear that’s just like listening to Ron Paul speak.

Dr Evil on January 1, 2012 at 9:59 PM

Regarding Perry, Conservatives should ask themselves this: Can a person–who grew up in a working class family, a family without much in the way of connections to wealth or power–rise to the rank of captain in the Air Force, and also win the office of Governor of Texas 3 times, without being highly intelligent as well as very determined?

ansonia on January 1, 2012 at 9:59 PM

As long as Perry never has to speak and articulate his positions, he will be fine.

rightConcept on January 1, 2012 at 9:59 PM

predator on January 1, 2012 at 9:56 PM

True enough. I’m tired and not feeling optimistic, I’ll be better tomorrow.

Cindy Munford on January 1, 2012 at 10:00 PM

renalin on January 1, 2012 at 9:46 PM

Palin approved Tardisil as Governor…And Perry’s EO had an opt out. He did the EO so insurance would cover it…Sheeesh!

workingclass artist on January 1, 2012 at 10:00 PM

nancysabet on January 1, 2012 at 9:54 PM

Good analysis.

davidk on January 1, 2012 at 10:01 PM

nancysabet: The PA party bigwigs may be in the tank for Romney, but I don’t think that he has the appeal to most of the PA voters. Perry is big on energy production, and that is an area where PA is getting itself out of the economic doldrums.

onlineanalyst on January 1, 2012 at 10:02 PM

bazil9 on January 1, 2012 at 9:57 PM

Yeah, that is rough to contemplate. I’m in Illinois, so it likely won’t matter who I vote for, but I’ll vote for the nominee unless it’s Paul. Since Cook County will almost certainly bring a victory for the Putter-In-Chief I’ll leave President blank and just vote down ticket if it’s Paul.

predator on January 1, 2012 at 10:03 PM

I think Huntsman could stand up to Obama in a debate and win.

Dr Evil on January 1, 2012 at 9:49 PM

He probably could, but he comes across to me as someone who would not “go for the throat” in the way thats needed. It might be more like Bill O’Rielly giving Obama a “tough interview”.

This is for either the win or the loss. Its gloves off and nut the Marxist time. I don’t see Jim Hunstin pulling it off.

Mimzey on January 1, 2012 at 10:03 PM

Yes I do get regular mailings from Ron Paul, they arrive via a white-hooded courier on horseback.

Bishop on January 1, 2012 at 10:03 PM

I think Huntsman could stand up to Obama in a debate and win.

Dr Evil on January 1, 2012 at 9:49 PM

But he wouldn’t.

katy the mean old lady on January 1, 2012 at 10:05 PM

predator on January 1, 2012 at 10:03 PM

I’m with you. Paul is the only one I could not vote for.

As a Floridian, it will matter in the vote. I am not enthused about anyone and find this depressing after the last few years but I sure as hell will do my part. O needs to go.

bazil9 on January 1, 2012 at 10:06 PM

nobar on January 1, 2012 at 9:51 PM

To Ronatrons there is only one force and that force is The Ron.

Mimzey on January 1, 2012 at 10:07 PM

Governor of Iowa said by 9 pm

workingclass artist on January 1, 2012 at 9:57 PM

Thank you for taking time to answer.

JPeterman on January 1, 2012 at 10:07 PM

Chris Wallace is a terrible interviewer, all horse race questions, nothing to help the voter choose a candidate.

commodore on January 1, 2012 at 10:08 PM

renalin on January 1, 2012 at 9:46 PM

Perry’s history of “pay to play” also might be a problem for Sarah. His record in Texas really goes against her “crony capitalism” message.

bw222 on January 1, 2012 at 10:08 PM

workingclass artist on January 1, 2012 at 10:00 PM

Palin made it voluntary, Perry didn’t…..

idesign on January 1, 2012 at 10:08 PM

I love ya, Bishop. You make posting fun.

onlineanalyst on January 1, 2012 at 10:08 PM

That tardasil crap is small fries to glass jaw mitt.

not that it makes a difference but i keep seeing this same mistake on this site. Its Gardasil not tardasil

gerrym51 on January 1, 2012 at 10:09 PM

katy the mean old lady on January 1, 2012 at 10:05 PM

We were talking about you this morning!!!! Dreaming of a Florida HotAirian get together.

Cindy Munford on January 1, 2012 at 10:09 PM

Has Brandstead endorsed yet? Or did nobody care?

Flapjackmaka on January 1, 2012 at 10:09 PM

idesign on January 1, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Thank you.

bazil9 on January 1, 2012 at 10:09 PM

I love ya, Bishop. You make posting fun.

onlineanalyst on January 1, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Indeed, he keeps the bunker and HA smiling.

p.s. he’s also very smart, but don’t tell him.

Schadenfreude on January 1, 2012 at 10:11 PM

If America’s greatest Patriot cannot be the nominee, then Perry would be an acceptable alternative.

I can’t understand people backing the liberals in the race. Paul, Perry, or bust.

Aquateen Hungerforce on January 1, 2012 at 10:11 PM

bazil9, you’re a very reasonable person. Glad you’re in this ‘camp’.

Schadenfreude on January 1, 2012 at 10:12 PM

Bishop on January 1, 2012 at 10:03 PM

That’s funny. Cause RP is a racist. Yeah.

Aquateen Hungerforce on January 1, 2012 at 10:12 PM