New Year’s Eve night out: Why what women wear actually matters

posted at 7:00 pm on December 31, 2011 by Tina Korbe

Jazz already made a compelling case to avoid a night out altogether — and, to this day, my best New Year’s Eve memories involve watching M*A*S*H reruns with my parents until midnight and then skipping down the hall to go to sleep. But a chic party is fun, too, especially if it compels frequently-pajama-clad bloggers to dress festively. So, I’ll be the chipper to Jazz’s chill — and celebrate with those of you who do plan to go out on the town tonight. I hope y’all have a ball!

At the same time, though, I can’t help but implore my fellow females to aim for “pretty” and not “hot” tonight. Let me explain. Truthfully, I didn’t plan to write about this. We’re not a fashion blog — and, by and large, I don’t think what folks wear does matter. But, this morning, I read a brief blog post headlined “The Death of Pretty” — and I haven’t been able to stop thinking about it. This is a rather long excerpt, but it’s too good to not be shared (the whole piece is worth your time, too!):

Pretty, pretty is dying.

People will define pretty differently.  For the purposes of this piece, I define pretty as a mutually enriching balanced combination of beauty and projected innocence.

Once upon a time, women wanted to project an innocence.  I am not idealizing another age and I have no illusions about the virtues of our grandparents, concupiscence being what it is.  But some things were different in the back then.  First and foremost, many beautiful women, whatever the state of their souls, still wished to project a public innocence and virtue.  And that combination of beauty and innocence is what I define as pretty.

By nature, generally when men see this combination in women it brings out their better qualities, their best in fact.  That special combination of beauty and innocence, the pretty inspires men to protect and defend it.

Young women today do not seem to aspire to pretty, they prefer to be regarded as hot. Hotness is something altogether different.  When women want to be hot instead of pretty, they must view themselves in a certain way and consequently men view them differently as well.

As I said, pretty inspires men’s nobler instincts to protect and defend.  Pretty is cherished. Hotness, on the other hand, is a commodity.  Its value is temporary and must be used.  It is a consumable.

Nowhere is this pretty deficit more obvious than in our “stars,” the people we elevate as the “ideal.”  The stars of the fifties surely suffered from the same sin as do stars of today.  Stars of the fifties weren’t ideal but they pursued a public ideal different from today.

It’s so true — and it’s so sad. Every so often, a feminist will attempt to prove that femininity is a social construct. She’ll give her daughter a fire truck to play with and her son a Barbie doll — and, lo and behold, the little girl will wrap the truck in a baby blanket and rock it back and forth, while the little boy will force his Barbie dolls to fight. Femininity isn’t a social construct; it’s the natural complement to masculinity, written into our very bodies — and the two in combination civilize the wide world to lay the resources of the earth at the feet of even children.

Little girls gravitate to pretty. The success of the Disney princess franchise proves that. Even Sophia Grace Brownlee, the eight-year-old YouTube sensation who raps singer Nikki Minaj’s “Super Bass” word for word, appears in a tutu and tiara. But, somewhere between childhood and adulthood — or, sadly, sometimes in the midst of childhood — girls begin to think it’s an embarrassment to be innocent, to be naive.

It’s not an insult to be called naive, though — not really. The first definition of the word is “having or showing unaffected simplicity of nature or absence of artificiality.” What’s wrong with that? To encounter the natural and artless — to escape cynicism and ugliness — is to be refreshed. Yes, it’s foolish to ignore ugliness — for it’s real and revealing. But we have such a limited amount of time in a day: Why not look to the beautiful, the good, the true at least as often as we look to anything else?

Nothing reveals the time constraint on our lives quite like the passage of a year and the commencement of a new one — and even something as simple as what we wear reflects what we intend to do with our time. In 2012, will we build up or tear down? Will we strive for what is lastingly meaningful or temporarily gratifying? Will we be pretty or just hot?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

This is my least favorite holiday. I seriously treat it all like a regular day.

carbon_footprint on December 31, 2011 at 7:04 PM

That said, Happy New Year all!!!

carbon_footprint on December 31, 2011 at 7:04 PM

Now we can start planning for Valentine’s Day.

carbon_footprint on December 31, 2011 at 7:05 PM

Then comes Easter! I actually love Easter.

carbon_footprint on December 31, 2011 at 7:06 PM

I always get Memorial Day and Labor Day mixed up for some reason.

carbon_footprint on December 31, 2011 at 7:06 PM

Happy New Year from those that have already crossed long ago!

It’s not so different here.

DarkCurrent on December 31, 2011 at 7:07 PM

Six posts in a row? I guess everyone is out celebrating.

carbon_footprint on December 31, 2011 at 7:07 PM

As I said, pretty inspires men’s nobler instincts to protect and defend. Pretty is cherished. Hotness, on the other hand, is a commodity. Its value is temporary and must be used. It is a consumable.

Thats basically the truth.

sharrukin on December 31, 2011 at 7:09 PM

We’re not a fashion blog…

WHAT!??!!! Wha? Wha? What?

Why have I been bothering to make sure my socks match when I post if this is not a fashion blog… Give me a break!

Happy New Year’s, fashionistas, one and all! And, to you too, Tina….

*grumble, grumble… not a fashion blog… who’s she kidding…*

Fallon on December 31, 2011 at 7:10 PM

Will we be pretty or just hot?

I’ll try to be both

burrata on December 31, 2011 at 7:11 PM

I’ll be staying in….

but speaking of ‘pretty’, it’s the exotic that gets noticed. When women were plain and severe, pretty was exotic. Now you have to push the envelop, Harajuku, Goth, emo (emo-images) Emo’love (in gold or blue)(search by image on google.)

Skandia Recluse on December 31, 2011 at 7:13 PM

Speaking of what women wear,my daughter just sent the wife and I a video confrence thingy,of her black dress,stiletto combo!!

Oh,and yes,I too haven’t gone out for New Years in over twenty
years,rather stay inside,with the meat/cracker/cheese tray,and
adult beverages,er,Bailys spiked tea watching the NY countdown!!

canopfor on December 31, 2011 at 7:14 PM

I donno, if it doesn’t say Frederick’s of Hollywood, then it’s not much of a party then.

Here’s to the Hotness in 2012!

Kini on December 31, 2011 at 7:15 PM

True, especially the projected innocence part. Consider this scenario: Carrie Underwood is standing next to Paris Hilton. Carrie is wearing a string bikini. Paris is in a Victorian get up with a high collar. Why is it that somehow Carrie is going to look more innocent?

radjah shelduck on December 31, 2011 at 7:15 PM

I’ve never thought “Hot” was particularly alluring. Far too often, “Hot” can be interchanged with “Slutty.”

Mitoch55 on December 31, 2011 at 7:16 PM

Pretty seems like an adjective I’d reserve for a slender woman. There aren’t too many of those around.

jhffmn on December 31, 2011 at 7:16 PM

I must be getting old because I absolutely hate crowds. This woman will be wearing a nice flannel set of pj with comfortable slippers when midnight rings which my husband thinks is hot :)

melle1228 on December 31, 2011 at 7:16 PM

…and of course I forgot cosplay where you dress up as your favorite anime character. Some of whom do such a great job of both pretty and innocent they have to be professional.

(it was in my mind, didn’t make it to my fingers.)

Skandia Recluse on December 31, 2011 at 7:16 PM

David Bowie – Fashion FULL VERSION!
***********************************
***********************************

canopfor on December 31, 2011 at 7:17 PM

What they don’t wear matters, that’s for sure =P~~~~~

Ugly on December 31, 2011 at 7:17 PM

,Bailys spiked tea watching the NY countdown!!

canopfor on December 31, 2011 at 7:14 PM

Try tea infused grey goose…mmmm
I got mine ready for tonite :)

burrata on December 31, 2011 at 7:17 PM

Ladies: Your shoes should match the purse. Yes, still. Pumps or an ankle strap are preferable for evening.

Men: Your (polished) shoes should match your belt.

SouthernGent on December 31, 2011 at 7:18 PM

This may be an interesting topic for another holiday, but its misapplied on New Years.

Tonight is not a night for decorum, or to be lady-like. No guy expects to meet his future wife tonight. People going out are getting smashed and looking for a partner to do the dirty.

swamp_yankee on December 31, 2011 at 7:18 PM

Hey Tina–should the name of this website be changed to prettyair.com? LOL!

radjah shelduck on December 31, 2011 at 7:20 PM

SouthernGent on December 31, 2011 at 7:18 PM

I agree that shoes/purse should match, but ankle straps? Ankle straps make even skinny woman look like they have cankles. They cut the legline.

melle1228 on December 31, 2011 at 7:20 PM

Two thumbs up Tina. you’re right again.

Happy New Year one and all.

countrybumpkin on December 31, 2011 at 7:20 PM

My best new Year memories were experienced in Atlanta. A non-alcoholic, family festive night if activites. Now I live in a North Dallas suburb, wishing they had something more appropriate than a drunk-fest here.

paulsur on December 31, 2011 at 7:21 PM

Now we can start planning for Valentine’s Day.

carbon_footprint on December 31, 2011 at 7:05 PM

Our Target had Valentine’s Day stuff out on December 27th. Seriously.

joekenha on December 31, 2011 at 7:23 PM

Hey, my Barbie dolls vanquished the Viet Cong. Don’t knock the fighting qualities of Barbie dolls. (Yet somehow, cuddling the fire truck doesn’t really work.)

If pretty can coexist with comfortable shoes, then we’re good to go.

A happy and blessed New Year to Tina all at Hot Air.

J.E. Dyer on December 31, 2011 at 7:24 PM

Kudos, Tina. Another major insight from my fellow Oklahoman.

(BTW congrats on HA top story too!)

Innocence is vastly underrated these days, but many more aware young men are attracted to it. They don’t know what to call it, but they are attracted by it.

Kind of sad when they know it’s ‘something’ but they can’t articulate what it is, because they see it so rarely – how many of their mothers demonstrated this quality? Alas, very few.

ElRonaldo on December 31, 2011 at 7:24 PM

Kraftwerk – The model
**********************

canopfor on December 31, 2011 at 7:24 PM

Innocence is overrated. Women, on New Years Eve, should dress like adults and adults aren’t innocent. On the other hand, adults also don’t dress like hookers, unless they are hookers — though sometimes the distinction between hooker-wear and a lovely silk frock is very subjective.

In the mean time, Happy New Year.

urban elitist on December 31, 2011 at 7:25 PM

If pretty can coexist with comfortable shoes, then we’re good to go.

Can I get an Amen!

melle1228 on December 31, 2011 at 7:28 PM

My friend was against guns, and wouldn’t let her sons play with toy guns. I laughed at and with her as it became apparent that she was up against an unstoppable reality. If you don’t give them toy guns, they take the cottonballs you give them and make them into a gun. If you take away the cottonballs, they turn their own bodies into weapons.

Two of her three boys now serve in the Military. And they’re very, very good.

Rose in CA on December 31, 2011 at 7:29 PM

A happy and blessed New Year to Tina all at Hot Air.

J.E. Dyer on December 31, 2011 at 7:24 PM

J.E. Dyer:Right back at ya,

HAPPY NEWYEAR….

Tina
Ed
AP
and the other tread spinners,
and especially to the USS Hot Air Crew!
===================================================:)

canopfor on December 31, 2011 at 7:31 PM

Rose in CA on December 31, 2011 at 7:29 PM

LOL– We were like that when my son was born. I grew up in a liberal household, and was taught you shouldn’t pigeonhole the genders-blah, blah, blah.

My son taped two Lincoln logs together and made a gun.

melle1228 on December 31, 2011 at 7:32 PM

Mitoch55 on December 31, 2011 at 7:16 PM

..as far as this dirty old man is concerned, interchange away! I am not choosy; I’ll take either.

The War Planner on December 31, 2011 at 7:32 PM

Thank you, Tina!

I watched Tootsie last night and it shocked us that the women, especially Jessica Lange, were “pretty” and not “hot” and how far we have sunk since then. I think Madonna started it…she is one hard woman.

I am no prude, but it really annoys me to see the strapless evening dresses passing as bridal gowns–in a church!

PattyJ on December 31, 2011 at 7:34 PM

canopfor on December 31, 2011 at 7:14 PM
Try tea infused grey goose…mmmm
I got mine ready for tonite :)

burrata on December 31, 2011 at 7:17 PM

burrata:I rarely drink,sounds interesting!:)

canopfor on December 31, 2011 at 7:35 PM

Our Target had Valentine’s Day stuff out on December 27th. Seriously.

joekenha on December 31, 2011 at 7:23 PM

Not surprised Joe. Soon the stores will have permanent aisles dedicated to all holidays, year round. Capitalism is good, but has some rough edges.

carbon_footprint on December 31, 2011 at 7:36 PM

Kraftwerk – The model
**********************

canopfor on December 31, 2011 at 7:24 PM

Holy doodoo!!!! A Kraftwerk fan. This is why I love HotAir!!!

An even better Kraftwerk tune. And teh way the video is done, it’s not even off topic.

Cha Cha Cha

hoofhearted on December 31, 2011 at 7:36 PM

Men: Your (polished) shoes should match your belt.

SouthernGent on December 31, 2011 at 7:18 PM

SouthernGent:lol:)

canopfor on December 31, 2011 at 7:37 PM

It is entirely possible for a woman to be, at once, “pretty” and “hot”. To wit: Tina Korbe, Sarah Palin, Michelle Malkin, Megyn Kelly, etc.

All delicate and pretty on the outside and you know just steaming hot on the inside.

TXUS on December 31, 2011 at 7:38 PM

melle1228 on December 31, 2011 at 7:16 PM

And he’s right.

hoofhearted on December 31, 2011 at 7:38 PM

I read a brief blog post headlined “The Death of Pretty” — and I haven’t been able to stop thinking about it. This is a rather long excerpt, but it’s too good to not be shared.

You may also enjoy this YouTube clip:

It’s So Audrey! A Style Icon

Now there was one classy lady.

whatcat on December 31, 2011 at 7:38 PM

canopfor on December 31, 2011 at 7:35 PM

I plan to start drinking , starting 2012 …life’s too short

burrata on December 31, 2011 at 7:39 PM

As a dude, I can say pretty>hot. Hot is too often interchangeable with slut. This generation, a generation I am sadly a part of has a warped view of many things, beauty central to it.

Jimmy In Jersey on December 31, 2011 at 7:39 PM

canopfor on December 31, 2011 at 7:24 PM
Holy doodoo!!!! A Kraftwerk fan. This is why I love HotAir!!!

Cha Cha Cha

canopfor on December 31, 2011 at 7:41 PM

In Youth: Nerd
In the Army: Spit-Polished
As Mom: PTA Dowdy
In the Workplace: Professional

As Empty Nester: Found the Pretty; Embraced the Hotness; Husband Enjoys

Happy New Year, Tina Korbe and all of Hot Air!

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on December 31, 2011 at 7:43 PM

Ugh,should be thread,not (tread)

canopfor on December 31, 2011 at 7:43 PM

I have been in dressing rooms when a mom will tell her eight year old little girl, “you look hot in that outfit”, and I cringe. Some young mothers have totally lost their minds when it comes to what they allow their little girls to wear. I believe that if the mom dresses appropriately and acts like a lady she does a tremendous service to her children. The girls have a role model to look up to and the boys have an example of what a lady is and learns respect.

JannyMc on December 31, 2011 at 7:44 PM

First my prayer for all as we enter 2012-

Eternal God, who makes all things new, and lives forever the same: Grant us to begin this year in faith, and to continue it in your favor; that, being guided in all our doings, and guarded in all our days, we may spend our lives in your service, and finally, by your graces attain the glory of everlasting life; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen. (from the 1946 version of the Presbyterian Book of Common Worship)

Beyond that I agree with the idea women have lost something. They had far more power, before equality, than they have now. Competing as equals has actually harmed the status of women in society.

Happy Nomad on December 31, 2011 at 7:44 PM

canopfor on December 31, 2011 at 7:40 PM

Have you heard the Senor Coconut version of Showroom Dummies(which I posted as Cha Cha Cha)before?

hoofhearted on December 31, 2011 at 7:45 PM

Men: Your (polished) shoes should match your belt.

SouthernGent on December 31, 2011 at 7:18 PM

..man, I am lucky if I can get both of my shoes to match!

The War Planner on December 31, 2011 at 7:46 PM

Will we be pretty or just hot?

I’d ‘hit’ it…!

Happy New Year everybody…!!!

(staying home with little 7% this year)

Seven Percent Solution on December 31, 2011 at 7:46 PM

Hot women are for using for sexual gratification.

Pretty ladies are to sacrifice for and love.

Pretty is the new ‘hot’?

KirknBurker on December 31, 2011 at 7:47 PM

===========

Yup,so true!!

canopfor on December 31, 2011 at 7:50 PM

Pretty is dying?

Yeah, right. Pretty is as it ever was, pretty. It’ll be pretty tomorrow too. I don’t care what your politicals are, and I don’t care what your religion is, or isn’t. Pretty is. Thank goodness for that.

Limerick on December 31, 2011 at 7:51 PM

..man, I am lucky if I can get both of my shoes to match!

The War Planner on December 31, 2011 at 7:46 PM

Heh. I actually did leave the house once with two different shoes on to go to church as a result of getting dressed in the dark.

hoofhearted on December 31, 2011 at 7:51 PM

BTW…Happy New Year, Canopfor. You folks north of the border have a good one, ya’ hear?

Limerick on December 31, 2011 at 7:52 PM

Happy New Year everybody…!!!
(staying home with little 7% this year)

Seven Percent Solution on December 31, 2011 at 7:46 PM

Seven Percent Solution:Happy New Year to you,and SPS Jr.:)

canopfor on December 31, 2011 at 7:52 PM

You get better with time, Tina. There is wisdom lurking there. Heh, what if you had the wisdom of George Will’s years there? :)

petefrt on December 31, 2011 at 7:52 PM

And as for you, Mr Bigglesworth, Happy New Year my friend.

Limerick on December 31, 2011 at 7:55 PM

canopfor on December 31, 2011 at 7:40 PM
========================================

hoofhearted on December 31, 2011 at 7:45 PM

hoofhearted: Sounds not bad,I perfer the Man Machine album,tho!!

canopfor on December 31, 2011 at 7:57 PM

Bishop, Tony737, Pet, Southern Gent, and the long lost Miss Entelechy, (and any other tattered old hats here), all the best of prosperity, health, and luck for 2012.

Limerick on December 31, 2011 at 7:59 PM

You hear it a lot from young women all the time….Men treat me like sh*t all the time.
Well, what do you expect? You see them all the time, dressed like a prostitute, metal do-dads sticking out of all parts of their bodies, tattoos aplenty to make a sailor blush.
Maybe if the women would clean themselves up, guys wouldn’t treat you like trash?

As for the (so called) men. PULL YOUR D*MN PANTS UP! Quit walking around with your underwear showing, turn your stupid cap around to the FRONT! That bill is suppose to be in the front dumba**.
Stop flashing what look like gang signs, and don’t follow every word out of your mouth with “dude or bro”, and don’t start every word with “yo”.

p51d007 on December 31, 2011 at 7:59 PM

Ooh, a New Year’s Eve party invite?

Pass… sorry, I don’t drive on Amateur nights anymore.

Amateur nights you may ask?

New Year’s Eve.
Saint Patrick’s Day.
Cinco de Mayo.

I will not go out and party on these nights… far too many drunks; and even worse inexperienced and excessive drunks out driving.

Lets try for a party next week or the week after, once people are being less stupid.

gekkobear on December 31, 2011 at 7:59 PM

Hey, HAPPY NEW YEAR, my HA friends! WooooHoooo!

petefrt on December 31, 2011 at 7:59 PM

Limerick on December 31, 2011 at 7:52 PM

Limerick: Thank you Lim,Happy New Year,and Happy Trails to you
and your family,as well!!:)

canopfor on December 31, 2011 at 8:01 PM

Holy Moly I left out Upinak and Portlandon, my apologies. Kick some butt.

Limerick on December 31, 2011 at 8:01 PM

hoofhearted on December 31, 2011 at 7:51 PM

Well, as one gets older, it’s pretty much de rigueur.

Speaking of rituals, it is time in the War Planner bunker for the ceremonial opening of the Trader Joe’s Lismore 100 proof and for the festivities to commence. All the best wishes for a happy and prosperous and Obama-less new year in 2012 to any and all Hot Gassers..

..except for the drive-by trolls and other Soros minions. They can all join Mooch-elle and The Pantload for their walk along Makapu’u Beach (on our dimes) AND POUND SAND!

The War Planner on December 31, 2011 at 8:02 PM

P51d007

Amen.

Bro. :)

Jimmy In Jersey on December 31, 2011 at 8:02 PM

hoofhearted: Sounds not bad,I perfer the Man Machine album,tho!!

canopfor on December 31, 2011 at 7:57 PM

The Man Machine is a great album. But I personally prefer Trans Europe Express as it is solid all the way through.

Good times, good memories. Thanks.

Happy New Year to all.

Here’s to a better 2012 when we send Dear Leader packing.

Clink

hoofhearted on December 31, 2011 at 8:02 PM

Happy New Year everyone! I am going to spend the evening at home with my hot bride and leave the bar scene to the ametuers. It is comforting to know in a few hours it will be 2012. The year we rid our government of progressives.

cntrlfrk on December 31, 2011 at 8:04 PM

Should old acquaintance be forgot,
and never brought to mind ?
Should old acquaintance be forgot,
and old lang syne ?

CHORUS:
For auld lang syne, my dear,
for auld lang syne,
we’ll take a cup of kindness yet,
for auld lang syne.
And surely you’ll buy your pint cup !
and surely I’ll buy mine !
And we’ll take a cup o’ kindness yet,
for auld lang syne.

CHORUS
We two have run about the slopes,
and picked the daisies fine ;
But we’ve wandered many a weary foot,
since auld lang syne.

CHORUS
We two have paddled in the stream,
from morning sun till dine† ;
But seas between us broad have roared
since auld lang syne.

CHORUS
And there’s a hand my trusty friend !
And give me a hand o’ thine !
And we’ll take a right good-will draught,
for auld lang syne.

CHORUS

Limerick on December 31, 2011 at 8:04 PM

PattyJ on December 31, 2011 at 7:34 PM

That show “Say Yes To The Dress”, to me most of the gowns are “Say Yes To The Mess” Most of them with that mermaid style and bare shoulders, ick! And, what is with those down comforter skirts in those gowns? The prices for those things are hideous, more than I just spent on my good used car.

pabo on December 31, 2011 at 8:05 PM

O/T,LA bracing for more Arson Goonery!
—————————————-

Police in California brace for more arson fires on New Year’s Eve; more than 35 fires over last 2 days – @latimesStory metadata:
Submitted 1 hour ago from latimesblogs.latimes.com by editor

canopfor on December 31, 2011 at 8:05 PM

New Year’s Eve.
Saint Patrick’s Day.
Cinco de Mayo.

gekkobear on December 31, 2011 at 7:59 PM

You and me both. And I won’t stay out after midnight at any time, holiday or not. The older I get the truer the maxim becomes: Nothing good ever happens after midnight.

TXUS on December 31, 2011 at 8:06 PM

canopfor on December 31, 2011 at 7:57 PM

Clink

hoofhearted on December 31, 2011 at 8:02 PM

hoofhearted:*Clinks* back:)

canopfor on December 31, 2011 at 8:07 PM

Happy New Year. I spent it inside drinking a glass of sparkling fruit wine and made open faced salmon and creme fraiche sandwiches, with melon salad and sliced Gouda cheese on the side.

cats are happy, despite my health issues I am happier than I was a year ago.

pabo on December 31, 2011 at 8:10 PM

There’s nothing wrong with pretty hot.

Happy New Year All!

Tomorrow!

profitsbeard on December 31, 2011 at 8:10 PM

O/T,LA bracing for more Arson Goonery!

Down here in Ft. Worth, we limit our arson goonery to candlelight.

hoofhearted on December 31, 2011 at 8:11 PM

gekkobear on December 31, 2011 at 7:59 PM
========================================

TXUS on December 31, 2011 at 8:06 PM

TXUS:Same here,I seen too much,ahem,bullsh*t going on,in my younger
years!

“Time to be going,while the get’n is still good’,was my montra
“!:)

canopfor on December 31, 2011 at 8:12 PM

Happy New Year from those that have already crossed long ago!

It’s not so different here.

DarkCurrent on December 31, 2011 at 7:07 PM

SPOILER ALERT!!!

Happy New Year!

Talon on December 31, 2011 at 8:12 PM

Happy New Year!

JellyToast on December 31, 2011 at 8:13 PM

This is how women nowadays should be …1950′s housewives ROCK

apocalypse on December 31, 2011 at 8:13 PM

PattyJ on December 31, 2011 at 7:34 PM

Don’t forget “nearly backless down to the waist.” I couldn’t believe my eyes when my friend’s bride started down the aisle in one of these. How the people in the ceremony let wear that as a wedding gown is beyond me; my pastor would have refused to perform the ceremony until she put some clothes on.

MelonCollie on December 31, 2011 at 8:16 PM

The War Planner on December 31, 2011 at 8:02 PM

Back atcha and enjoy!!!

hoofhearted on December 31, 2011 at 8:16 PM

2011 was a disaster thanks to odumbo and I fear the idiot GOP will reelect odumbo in 2012. That will be the death of the nation.

ultracon on December 31, 2011 at 8:18 PM

1950′s housewives were keeping their men happy

apocalypse on December 31, 2011 at 8:18 PM

gekkobear on December 31, 2011 at 7:59 PM

I’ve been told by several police officers to get home by 7:00 PM on New Year’s eve and STAY there until you have to go to work in the morning. “Mad Max without the guns”, one of them called it.

MelonCollie on December 31, 2011 at 8:19 PM

O/T,LA bracing for more Arson Goonery!
======================================

Down here in Ft. Worth, we limit our arson goonery to candlelight.

hoofhearted on December 31, 2011 at 8:11 PM

hoofhearted:Lol,candlight fixed with,er lit with Nightsticks,haha!

canopfor on December 31, 2011 at 8:19 PM

canopfor on December 31, 2011 at 8:12 PM

That was and is similar to another of my sayings: “Go while the gettin’ is good or stay ‘n you better pray.”

Happy New Year, Canuckster!

TXUS on December 31, 2011 at 8:21 PM

Tina, if you revisit your housewife roots and revert back to 1950′s housewives you’ll never have a problem with your husband. You can thank me later.

apocalypse on December 31, 2011 at 8:21 PM

I never show more leg than absolutely necessary.

Seth Halpern on December 31, 2011 at 8:22 PM

Lol,candlight fixed with,er lit with Nightsticks,haha!

canopfor on December 31, 2011 at 8:19 PM

In some parts of town. But I avoid those.

hoofhearted on December 31, 2011 at 8:23 PM

O/T a tad,just rollng in!
————————–

Mitt Romney tops latest Des Moines Register Iowa Poll; Ron Paul, Rick Santorum within striking distance – @DMRegisterStory metadata:
Submitted 14 mins ago from caucuses.desmoinesregister.com by editor

canopfor on December 31, 2011 at 8:24 PM

apocalypse on December 31, 2011 at 8:21 PM

PS — Oh, yeah, the other thing: Love God more than your husband (Exodus 20:3)

apocalypse on December 31, 2011 at 8:25 PM

canopfor on December 31, 2011 at 8:12 PM

Happy New Year, Canuckster!

TXUS on December 31, 2011 at 8:21 PM

TXUS:Lol,yup,wise words to live by,and Happy New Year:)

canopfor on December 31, 2011 at 8:26 PM