It’s never too early to play The Blame Game

posted at 11:45 am on December 31, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

There’s an old saying that success has a thousand fathers, but failure is an orphan.  That’s not entirely true; when a big enterprise fails, it usually produces a thousand claims for paternity for someone else.  Normally people wait for the failure to actually happen first, but sometimes there are good reasons to get ahead of the curve — as Rick Perry’s campaign did with a series of leaks to Politico:

With a revamped message and a significant TV presence here, Rick Perry is hoping to revive his disappointing presidential campaign with a surprise finish Tuesday.

But even as they hold out hope that Perry can find a way back into contention, some of his advisers have begun laying the groundwork to explain how the Texas governor bombed so dramatically in a race that he seemed to control for a brief period upon entering the race in August.

For those who watched the debates, the culprit is obvious — the candidate himself.  It wasn’t his handlers that fumbled rehearsed attack lines and had to say “Oops” when the candidate lost his train of thought in the middle of an answer.  None of that, by the way, is a disqualifier for office, either.  Perry has successfully governed Texas for more than a decade, because governing takes an entirely different skill set than these game-show debates do, which is one of my biggest gripes about them.  However, the debates matter, and Perry did poorly in them, which was the catalyst to his polling collapse.

Several members of Team Perry now claim that Perry wasn’t the real problem:

Yet the view of the outsiders who took over Perry’s campaign is that the candidate was set up for failure by an insular group led by Dave Carney, the governor’s longtime political guru, which thought they could run a presidential campaign like a larger version of a gubernatorial race and didn’t take the basic steps needed to professionalize the operation until the candidate was already sinking.

“They put the campaign together like all the other Perry campaigns: raise a bunch of money, don’t worry about the [media coverage], don’t worry about debates and buy the race on TV,” said a top Perry official. “You have to be a total rube to think a race for president is the same as a race for governor.”

Because Perry had never been defeated in his career in state politics — and came from behind to crush Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison in last year’s Texas gubernatorial primary — his Texas operation projected an air of supreme self-assurance and indifference to outside advice.

Carney, a longtime GOP strategist who worked for Bush 41’s presidential campaigns, declined to comment for this story.

“I don’t think so,” he said in response to an email asking to get his side. “Not much good can come from process stories like this.”

Given Perry’s rise in the polls in Iowa — he’s back in double digits, just behind Santorum and just ahead of Gingrich in the two most recent polls — one might wonder why the campaign has provoked what looks like an internecine fight.  That’s not really what this is, though.  In order for Perry to regain credibility as a contender, and especially as a Not-Romney who can take on Barack Obama, the collapse of his campaign in October has to be laid at the feet of someone other than Rick Perry.

Carney probably doesn’t appreciate that he’s being made out to be the fall guy, especially since the early team did a pretty good job until the debate flubs started; they raised $17 million in the first seven weeks, but made a couple of questionable strategic decisions about going negative before truly introducing Perry to the national audience, which didn’t help, either.  Carney’s experienced enough to know that the new team has to distance Perry from the failure if Perry wants to seriously compete for the long haul, though, and getting into a public debate over the failure won’t help Perry to accomplish that.

Besides, the new team arrived in October.  Which Perry team was most responsible for fumbling the ballot qualifications for Virginia’s primary in mid-December? The blame for that can’t fall on Carney, at least not entirely or even mostly.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Perry Fans….GOOD NEWS TODAY!!!
REPORT: AG moves to allow Ginrich, Perry onto VA primary ballot…

coach1228 on December 31, 2011 at 12:56 PM

Oh Mr. TheRightMan, I do not presume to be all knowing or omniscient, not at all my friend. But I do have expectations and what I expect is this.

I expect Mitt Romney to be the GOP nominee and then I expect Mitt Romney to lose to Barack Obama.

HerneTheHunter on December 31, 2011 at 12:57 PM

And sorry Texans, the rest of the county isn’t as impressed with Texas as you are.

swamp_yankee on December 31, 2011 at 12:20 PM

Yeah, we noticed nobody’s moving here.

cartooner on December 31, 2011 at 12:57 PM

This video has some good reasons to support Perry:

WhatNot on December 31, 2011 at 12:58 PM

TheRightMan on December 31, 2011 at 12:53 PM

I’m not a Romney supporter. I’m still betting on a broken convention with one of Mitch Daniels/Bobby Jindal/Chris Christie saving the day.

In Texas, Perry promoted the same type of rent-seeking, crony capitalism, corporate welfare policies that are right now being criticized in the front page of this blog. They aren’t any better just because “green companies” didn’t benefit from it – he still used others people’s money to pick winners and make friends.

joana on December 31, 2011 at 12:58 PM

workingclass artist on December 31, 2011 at 12:38 PM

Moved from Chicago Heights, Il to Lubbock in April.
In my wanderings I’ve discovered that we’re far from the only Chicago escapees in Lubbock.

annoyinglittletwerp on December 31, 2011 at 12:58 PM

Who cares if the men promoted in Texas the same type of economic policies Obama promoted at a federal level (even though Perry subsidized different companies)? Identity politics – there’s a conservative version of it too.

joana on December 31, 2011 at 12:45 PM

Can’t fix Stupid

workingclass artist on December 31, 2011 at 12:58 PM

MITTBOTS… REPORT IN

MASTER BLASTER ORDERS FOR THE DAY 12/31:

SHILL UNTIL 11:59 PM 2011

TAKE WELL DESERVED BREAK FOR NON-ALCOHOLIC CHAMPAGNE

RECOMMENCE SHILLING AT 12:00:01 AM 2012

GO!!!

Spirit Crusher on December 31, 2011 at 12:58 PM

Also, your implication seems to be that folks in blue states won’t rush to Nebraska for jobs shucking corn and calling pigs.

God, I hope not. We’re very, very red and hope to stay that way.

Horace on December 31, 2011 at 12:54 PM

Take my advice and stick to shucking corn and calling pigs.

Your foray into commenting on blogs is not really working out that well.

TheRightMan on December 31, 2011 at 12:59 PM

workingclass artist on December 31, 2011 at 12:58 PM

I didn’t know that Michelle Bachmann got in with HA’s last ‘open’.
///

annoyinglittletwerp on December 31, 2011 at 1:00 PM

Results Matter

workingclass artist on December 31, 2011 at 12:53 PM

Yes they do. But I am not convinced that anyone who wins the presidency this time can get the results needed to stop the disaster that our hyper spending is causing. Congress knew as a result of the 2010 elections that we were pi**ed. What did they do? Double down on stupid and kept up the spending. If we don’t change the corrupt culture of Congress then this battle is lost. I’m sorry but the best we can do with a Presidential change is to slow up the train prior to the wreck.

chemman on December 31, 2011 at 1:00 PM

cartooner on December 31, 2011 at 12:54 PM

I didn’t forget Richards. Ann Richards was elected in 1990.

Last year a non-incumbent democrat won a statewide election in Texas.

And yet you said, and I quote, that “Democrats are still very competitive in Texas”.

joana on December 31, 2011 at 1:01 PM

This is on Drudge=VA AG intervenes in gop primary….

L

letget on December 31, 2011 at 1:01 PM

I like Rick Perry! That said, I would not use the “Politiko” to line my birdcage ….

dawndawn on December 31, 2011 at 1:02 PM

joana on December 31, 2011 at 12:45 PM

LOL! Wow! Please, you’re over your head.

cartooner on December 31, 2011 at 1:02 PM

Perry Perry bo-berry …

Wow. Gold Star for the most on spot caption of the year

entagor on December 31, 2011 at 1:03 PM

joana on December 31, 2011 at 12:58 PM

Never going to happen, Joana.

Perry is a better governor than all those three you cited.

Also:

Mitch Daniels – refused to run and cited his wife. What changes at the convention? He wants an easy road to the Presidency?

Bobby Jindal – supporting Perry to the hilt. Stumping with him at Iowa. Oh I forgot! You didn’t know that because Hot Air hasn’t reported or pulled articles on the wonderful stories coming out of Perry’s Iowa campaign.

Chris Christie – supporting Romney and his future will sink with Romney’s defeat to Obama, should he win the nomination.

So choose your candidate from the field. That’s all you got.

TheRightMan on December 31, 2011 at 1:05 PM

I sure will vote for Obama over Romney. That is my current state of mind.

I threw a challenge to Romney supporters here at Hot Air to try convincing me as to why Romney will be better for the conservative movement than Obama.

As you can guess, it’s been ‘crickets’.

TheRightMan on December 31, 2011 at 12:35 PM

Why would anyone try to convince you of anything when you have no credibility when you say you’ll vote for Obama over Romney?

Your current state of mind is that of a spoiled brat.

JPeterman on December 31, 2011 at 1:06 PM

LOL! Wow! Please, you’re over your head.

cartooner on December 31, 2011 at 1:02 PM

I’m not.

Corporate welfare – it’s not bad if the guy doing it prays in public, carries guns, talks loud and uses other people money to sponsor oil/real estate/farmers/etc corporations and not pansy urban things like green energy corporations.

joana on December 31, 2011 at 1:06 PM

catman

Those population figures mean that with 8.4% unemployment, there are alot of unemployed folks wandering around the Lone Star state.

Maybe the Urban Cowboy could do his job creatin’ act and create jobs for them as ushers and cow handlers and such at the Gay Rodeo, A Texas Tradition, in Fort Worth, April 20-22, 2012.

Or – employ them guarding the border. Oh heck! That won’t work. It might stop people who are hurrying over to get their instate tuition coupons.

Giddy-Up! Yippi-Ki-Yi-Yo! Get along little doggies! YeeeeHaawww!

Horace on December 31, 2011 at 1:06 PM

TheRightMan on December 31, 2011 at 1:05 PM

Perry/Jindal

annoyinglittletwerp on December 31, 2011 at 1:07 PM

Never going to happen, Joana.

Maybe not. Still more probable than Perry winning the nomination.

Perry is a better governor than all those three you cited.

TheRightMan on December 31, 2011 at 1:05 PM

Why? Because he handled millions to T. Boone Pickens and the oil barons?

joana on December 31, 2011 at 1:08 PM

…but made a couple of questionable strategic decisions about going negative before truly introducing Perry to the national audience

This was not some small questionable strategic decision–this was the candidate killer. Who knew that Perry is a Conservative, nice guy, very capable government executive, and has the ideas to transform the Obama and progressive debacle back to founding principles? When he so out of character and clumsily attacked Mittens before gaining a positive reputation among the people who did not know him, the game was over. You don’t get a second chance to make a first impression. Whoever advised Perry to go negative from the get go has got to be the dumbest political adviser ever.

NOMOBO on December 31, 2011 at 1:09 PM

TheRightMan

I know, I know.

I’m so depressed about not meeting the high intellectual standards for Hot Gas posters that I sent an email to Ol’ Rick Perry requesting that the next time he is texting with God that he will ask him, reverently, of course, to make me just 1/100th as smart as TheRightMan.

If anyone can do that, Ol’ Rick can, so I have hope!

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish

Horace on December 31, 2011 at 1:10 PM

Rick Perry’s “problem” has always been Bush. Bush always took the high road to be the President of all the people, but the haters defined him and he never defended himself. Still doesn’t.

However, Perry’s Bush problem is also his greatest asset. Obama wants to run against Bush and “the policies that got us into this mess.” Perry is the only candidate that neutralizes this. Perry inherited a Bush economy too.

Perry/Jindal 2012

monalisa on December 31, 2011 at 1:10 PM

Newt HAS to finish 3rd in Iowa or he will lose his momentum even more than he already has.

Even if Ron Paul wins, he will never gain traction nationally and will never win the nomination.

Romney will do well in Iowa (due to Independents and establishment types and even Dems voting for him.) But his test will be So. Carolina and Florida.

This leaves our 2 true conservatives: Perry and Santorum. Either one is good for me. (I like Bachmann, but she is probably history.)

If one has very high 3rd place numbers, it will propel him over the other to THE non-Romney conservative voter choice nationally.

If both Santorum and Perry have close 3rd and 4th place numbers, they will both still be contenders for the conservative non-Romney vote. But the 3rd place guy will get the most attention out of it. Especially if it’s Santorum, the new kid on the block.

Perry has to at least get a close 4th place finish or he will lose traction.

Elisa on December 31, 2011 at 1:10 PM

Horace on December 31, 2011 at 1:06 PM

Let me break it down in simple enough terms that your mind can digest.

State A creates X number of jobs but attracts fewer people to the state. Unemployment rate will remain low.

State B creates >>>X jobs and attracts lots of people to the state. Unemployment rate can be higher than state A.

In case you can’t figure it out, State A is Nebraska and State B is Texas.

Perry has created an environment in Texas that is causing people and companies to move there in droves. In other words, Texas is booming.

Can’t say the same for Nebraska.

Capiche?

TheRightMan on December 31, 2011 at 1:12 PM

Happy New Year everyone.

May God bless you and your families in the New Year with health, peace and happiness.

This is the first year in my 52 years that I will add a political wish to my hopes for the New Year.

I pray we get rid of Obama in 2012, even if it’s Romney. Because our country will never be the same again if Obama is re-elected.

God bless the USA.

Elisa on December 31, 2011 at 1:13 PM

Bobby Jindal?

Parents weren’t citizens when he was born here. He is native born, not natural born.

I know – tempest in a teapot. But the MSM and Demoncrats will try to hang some silly birther collar around his neck as a distraction if he goes anywhere near a national ticket. Unwarranted, maybe, but it will still be a distraction not needed by the national ticket.

Besides, other than being re-elected and carping about the oil spill, what has he done?

Plus, isn’t it a tradition in Louisiana that a governor must be re-elected at least once before entering the state or federal prison system?

Horace on December 31, 2011 at 1:14 PM

Elisa on December 31, 2011 at 1:10 PM

Agreed.
OT:Since this is our last full day in Southern Cal. I’m gonna get out and enjoy what I won’t see in beautiful Dust City.
See Y’all later

annoyinglittletwerp on December 31, 2011 at 1:14 PM

You know, you can go pitch an Occupy tent in front of her house and beg her to reconsider.

“Sarah, only you can save us…”

/sarc

TheRightMan on December 31, 2011 at 12:56 PM

Ah there it is, for some reason they always resort to this. Slight problem with this. I never believed Sarah Palin could or should save us. That was always our choice, the power to do so was always inherent within us.

I respect, admire and appreciate Sarah Palin. Her record always shone amongst others. A PTA mom, a former City Councillor, a former City Mayor, a former Chairwoman of the AOGCC, a former Governor, a Vice-Presidential candidate. Ethics champion and reformer. I could go on, but you know this already. That is a winning record.

But she decided with her family this wasn’t for her and frankly after what they have been through the last 3 years, they deserve this peace. She asked that I respect her decision. I do and always will. Which is why the reconsider plan is NOT for me, it is FRUITLESS.

But if you want to mock, keep on. She will not be riding back to Texas on her “bitter Palinista” horse. That’s for sure!

HerneTheHunter on December 31, 2011 at 1:14 PM

I’m not.

joana on December 31, 2011 at 1:06 PM

I’m not for it either and I’m not a fan of the emerging technologies fund or the other one whose name escapes me, but it was passed through the legislature and takes the approval of the Gov. ,Lt.Gov. and Speaker to award money which is entirely different than Obama’s giveaways. It is just not intellectually honest to lump it in with Obama’s scandals.

cartooner on December 31, 2011 at 1:15 PM

I’ll be voting for Rick Perry because unlike all the other candidates he isn’t afraid to be a dunce in public. Oh yeah, and the fact that he’ll probably be the least likely to screw the base by reaching across the aisle for a bi-partisan cash and power grab.

Give ‘Em Hell Rick!

PERRY 2012

Spirit Crusher on December 31, 2011 at 1:16 PM

Horace on December 31, 2011 at 1:14 PM
I get it now.
Your problem isn’t Perry-it’s southern conservatives in general.

annoyinglittletwerp on December 31, 2011 at 1:16 PM

HerneTheHunter on December 31, 2011 at 1:14 PM

Your messiah decided not to run-thankfully.

annoyinglittletwerp on December 31, 2011 at 1:17 PM

MITTBOTS… REPORT IN

MASTER BLASTER ORDERS FOR THE DAY 12/31:

SHILL UNTIL 11:59 PM 2011

TAKE WELL DESERVED BREAK FOR NON-ALCOHOLIC CHAMPAGNE

RECOMMENCE SHILLING AT 12:00:01 AM 2012

GO!!!

Spirit Crusher on December 31, 2011 at 12:58 PM

Okay… that was pretty funny….

Snorkdoodle Whizbang on December 31, 2011 at 1:18 PM

TheRightMan

Had you told someone in the ’50′s or 60′s that a state was “booming” with 8.4% unemployment, they would have laughed their heads off. My, how times and definitions have changed.

I don’t know what “capiche” means, although my guess is that it is some sort of Mexican or Italian compliment for my insightful posts on Perry or some breed of carp with which I am unfamiliar.

So, all I can say is “Thanks.” I appreciate it when my efforts are recognized.

Time to shuck corn and call the pigs. Later.

Perry/Zombie Trigger 2012!

Horace on December 31, 2011 at 1:18 PM

Rick Perry’s biggest problem was his back pain and possible pain medication.

Pure and simple. This isn’t tough people.

He has been much better the last month and a half, and is shows.

He deserves a second chance. Our country needs him. Or Santorum. Don’t let them scare you off of Santorum. Against Obama, Independents (like in my state of NJ) will vote pocketbook over social issues every time. They will vote for Santorum, if Republicans stick together and defend him and ignore the meme the media will create over him. Tell TEHM it’s the economy, stupid, stop bringing up social issues that the President has no control over. Santorum won’t be the one bringing it up, the media will. Shut them down with a big yawn when they do.

Elisa on December 31, 2011 at 1:18 PM

Why? Because he handled millions to T. Boone Pickens and the oil barons?

joana on December 31, 2011 at 1:08 PM

A huge chunk of state revenue comes from those “oil barons”. If they were getting more than they have to fork over, Texas would be in worse shape than California.

cartooner on December 31, 2011 at 1:18 PM

Horace on December 31, 2011 at 1:06 PM

You like Nebraska? Fine. Only been there once. Went to Cabelas while stationed in Wyoming.

What it also means is that comparing the unemployment rate in a state with the population of one major urban center in another state to try to make a point is ridiculous.

catmman on December 31, 2011 at 1:18 PM

Your current state of mind is that of a spoiled brat.

JPeterman on December 31, 2011 at 1:06 PM

You call me a spoiled brat.

I call myself a Romney skeptic.

Care to take a shot at explaining how or why Romney will be better to the conservative movement than Obama?

Frum and the other RINO pundits are panting for the chance to proclaim the conservative movement dead, including the age of Reagan, should Romney become President.

Why should I hold my nose to vote for Romney when I can easily ensure that that never happens by supporting his opponent?

TheRightMan on December 31, 2011 at 1:20 PM

I’m starting to hope Perry is toast, after his SuperFans at RedsTATE called Santorum a “pro-life statist”.

Dr. Tesla on December 31, 2011 at 1:20 PM

At least Perry won’t be a Mitch clone like Mitt will be.

Also Perry NEVER SAID HE WAS A PROGRESSIVE like Mitt had said in 2002.

BroncosRock on December 31, 2011 at 1:22 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on December 31, 2011 at 1:17 PM

That she did annoyinglittletwerp, that she did. But then, I suppose, who’s you dog in this clusterf*** of a circus carnival sideshow? Don’t tell your dog sat out the race too?

HerneTheHunter on December 31, 2011 at 1:23 PM

Romney still argues that the mandate is conservative.

How will he be able to effectively argue for repeal of Obamcare if he thinks the mandate is conservative?

Santorum is clean on the healthcare issue, and this is the issue that matters.

All you young pups who think gay marriage is the #1 issue need to put that on the backburner….healthcare and repeal of Obamacare is the big issue this election, not Santorum’s views on the gay folk and sodomy.

Dr. Tesla on December 31, 2011 at 1:23 PM

chemman on December 31, 2011 at 1:00 PM

Perry vetoed every bill the legislature sent to him in his first term…then they were willing to negotiate

workingclass artist on December 31, 2011 at 1:24 PM

If Mitt wins the country loses. We will continue with the progressive Republican still in power. We need Perry who will fight back against progressive in both parties like Minority leader Mitch.

Go Perry GO

BroncosRock on December 31, 2011 at 1:25 PM

annoyinglittletwerp

Uh…no. Your comment is rather sillly.

My mother, born and raised in Alabama, was a Southern conservative all her life before she died in 2001 of Alzheimer’s at age 84 and all my maternal relatives in Alabama remain Southern conservatives.

Spent most summers as a kid in Alabama surrounded by Southern conservatives.

Also, I was a Cainiac after being a Palinbot, and you can’t get any more Southern or conservative than the Herminator.

And my problem isn’t just with Perry. He’s just such an easy target for humor. An A&M Yell Boy in the White House? LOL! I think the whole field sucks.

However, as I am a Monarchist, I don’t vote anyway so I have no dog in this hunt.

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish

Horace on December 31, 2011 at 1:25 PM

Elisa on December 31, 2011 at 1:10 PM

I think it would depend on the point spread…Anyway he’s in till Super Tuesday & the Texas Primary a month later.

workingclass artist on December 31, 2011 at 1:26 PM

I have a hard time supporting Perry if idiot Erick Erickson is shilling hard for him and Huckabee is campaigning for him.

Perry should be in the top 2 right now if he was legit.

Dr. Tesla on December 31, 2011 at 1:27 PM

HerneTheHunter on December 31, 2011 at 1:14 PM

Your mileage might differ but in terms of record, Perry’s record trumps Palin’s and any other Governor’s by far.

I find it pathetically funny that the same ‘conservatives’ that praise Palin’s shorter resume, excuse Cain’s philandering, turn a blind eye to Gingrich’s baggage, and are okay with Romney should he be the nominee – turn around and lambast Perry as if he is Obama’s evil twin brother.

Ask yourself – what exactly is your problem with Perry? Gardasil? Texas Dream Act? Unfounded allegations of crony capitalism?

Never mind that most Texans, who the above should have impacted more greatly, LOVE Perry.

So what exactly is your beef? And why the vitriol?

TheRightMan on December 31, 2011 at 1:28 PM

Dr. Tesla on December 31, 2011 at 1:23 PM

If you’re a buggerin’ then ‘ol Santorum will come a-wASSailing. You’ve been warned.

Spirit Crusher on December 31, 2011 at 1:29 PM

Perry/Jindal 2012

monalisa on December 31, 2011 at 1:10 PM

Against Perry Obama will have to run a social issues race & be stuck with fringe support of social identity groups.

workingclass artist on December 31, 2011 at 1:30 PM

Mitt will continue with the Bush’s policy of Tax Cut and Spend.

Also he won’t do anything with Social Security or Medicare or Obamacare. He may say he wants to get rid of Obamacare but he won’t try hard to get rid of it like Perry will.

BroncosRock on December 31, 2011 at 1:30 PM

Elisa on December 31, 2011 at 1:10 PM

workingclass artist on December 31, 2011 at 1:26 PM

I agree. That’s why I said “a close 4th place” was needed. He has the money to stay in, but it will do Perry no good if his 4th place finish isn’t close or there isn’t some other sort of game changer. A 3rd place finish would be great, but I think it might be Santourm for 3rd. I predict they will be close 3rd and 4th.

But these things change from day to day.

Elisa on December 31, 2011 at 1:30 PM

Perry needs to get his act togethher if he wants the nomination.

Enough of the talking points by his supporters…the ball is in Perry’s court. No more excuses.

Dr. Tesla on December 31, 2011 at 1:31 PM

I have three reasons Perry shouldn’t be President…but I can only remember the first two…oops

rndmusrnm on December 31, 2011 at 1:32 PM

Mitt will continue with the Bush’s policy of Tax Cut and Spend.

BroncosRock on December 31, 2011 at 1:30 PM

What, you want tax hikes? Bush tax cuts are to blame for the runaway spending, borrowing of Congress?

Romney is more likely to raise taxes in the name of balancing budget, based on his recordi n Mass.

Dr. Tesla on December 31, 2011 at 1:33 PM

Perry should be in the top 2 right now if he was legit.

Dr. Tesla on December 31, 2011 at 1:27 PM

Look at another Perry hater’s reasons for hating him?

- ‘Idiot’ Erick Erickson is shilling for him?

Do you hate Romney because the entire establishment is shilling for him? EE is a pundit – can’t he support anyone he wants to support?

- Huckabee is campaigning for him?

Are you SERIOUS? Last I checked, Huckabee hasn’t endorsed anyone – but Perry is the last person he will endorse. He hates him that bad and you demonstrate your political naivety if you do not know that fact. Huckabee is more likely to support Romney.

Care to come again and offer valid reasons why you ‘hate’ Perry?

TheRightMan on December 31, 2011 at 1:33 PM

If Mitt wins Iowa or comes in 2nd to Ron Paul, and then wins NH easily, how can he lose the nomination? It’s over if it goes down like that.

Dr. Tesla on December 31, 2011 at 1:34 PM

got to love them small government republicans;40,OOO NEW LAWS FOR 2012.

svs22422 on December 31, 2011 at 1:34 PM

cartooner on December 31, 2011 at 1:15 PM

Texas along with Tennessee tops the states in governmental transparency scoring a 96%Changes made during Perry’s tenure

That’s the difference.

workingclass artist on December 31, 2011 at 1:35 PM

How Perry gets under Romney’s skin.

Just pick up that hot steaming cup, take a slow sip and then say “Man, that’s coffee!”, right into Mitt’s face.

pilamaye on December 31, 2011 at 1:35 PM

Dr. Tesla on December 31, 2011 at 1:34 PM

Mitt won’t do very well in the South…nope!

workingclass artist on December 31, 2011 at 1:36 PM

I think EE is the biggest conservative idiot pundit out there. If he’s shilling for Perry, I tend to want to vote for somebody else.

You are right that most of the other Republican publications are shilling for Romney. I’ve criticized National Review numerous times on here for it.

I saw somebody say that Huckabee made a cameo at one of Perry’s events in Iowa. Was that not true?

Dr. Tesla on December 31, 2011 at 1:36 PM

Dr. Tesla on December 31, 2011 at 1:34 PM

Because the early states are proportional and not winner take all.

Also it’s never over as long as Perry remains in the race. The day Perry announces he is out will be the day that Mitt is crowned nominee – so better pray it doesn’t happen unless you are a Mittbot.

TheRightMan on December 31, 2011 at 1:37 PM

How Perry gets under Romney’s skin.

pilamaye on December 31, 2011 at 1:35 PM

Solamere

A brewing scandal that will blow up in Mitt’s face along with his corn flakes….It’s why Mitt won’t release his tax returns

workingclass artist on December 31, 2011 at 1:38 PM

Dr. Tesla on December 31, 2011 at 1:36 PM

No, I don’t think so.

I assume it must be Jindal. He has been on the stum with Perry in Iowa.

TheRightMan on December 31, 2011 at 1:39 PM

HerneTheHunter on December 31, 2011 at 1:23 PM

I’m supporting Perry-as flawed a candidate as he is.
That’s fine though-since as a Jew I’m not looking for a messiah.

annoyinglittletwerp on December 31, 2011 at 1:40 PM

Sorry meant to say “stump” not “stum” in my comment @ 1:39pm.

TheRightMan on December 31, 2011 at 1:40 PM

Elisa on December 31, 2011 at 1:30 PM

Perry is drawing in bigger crowds than Santorum & he’s hurting him reminding voters that Santorum is a big govt. spender & part of the problemo.

workingclass artist on December 31, 2011 at 1:42 PM

Well, I think Santorum or Gingrich are our only real hopes of stopping Romney, but National Review, Ann Coutler and company have probably nuked Gingrich’s chances. Santorum seems to have run a solid campaign but he doesn’t have a lot of money and lot of Republican pundits think his comments about gay marriage, sodomy are more important than repealing Obamacare and other stuff.

Perry’s campaign has been horrible, Fred Thompson was better.

Dr. Tesla on December 31, 2011 at 1:42 PM

Santorum isn’t really a big government spender. He’s received praise from Club For Growth, Americans for Tax Reform, and other fiscal conservative groups.

This notion that he’s a statist because he voted for No Child Left Behind is absurd…that’s the crap that REd State is pushing for their boy Perry.

Dr. Tesla on December 31, 2011 at 1:44 PM

Mitt Romney is as thrifty with his principles as he is with a dollar. This hobo hasn’t come across a train he won’t hop on if it’s convenient for his political aspirations. Where’s a good railroad Bull when you need one?

Spirit Crusher on December 31, 2011 at 1:44 PM

workingclass artist on December 31, 2011 at 1:35 PM

Yes, that’s why it’s so easy for Perry haters to latch on to so many “dubious” transactions. They think they or some reporter “discovered” something when it is actually part of the public record and legal.

cartooner on December 31, 2011 at 1:44 PM

Well, I say right now Romeny probably the favorite to win Florida if he takes Iowa and NH.

The only real hope we have is that conservatives rally around Gingrich, Perry or Santorum and that Paul has been damaged by his racist newsletters, b/c he does have his fans in South Carolina and elswhere.

Dr. Tesla on December 31, 2011 at 1:47 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on December 31, 2011 at 1:40 PM

Where in SoCal, ALW?

cartooner on December 31, 2011 at 1:47 PM

” “So, Senator Santorum, just to get a little more specific here,” Perry said to a crowd at Doughy Joey’s, a pizza shop in Waterloo. “Please tell me why you asked taxpayers to support ‘The Bridge to Nowhere’ in Alaska? Why did you ask the taxpayers of Iowa to support a teapot museum in North Carolina? An indoor rain forest in Iowa? And the Montana Sheep Institute? Why were those important enough for you to vote for?”

Perry was referring to a nearly $400 million abandoned bridge project in Alaska, the Sparta Teapot Museum in Sparta, N.C., the ill-fated $180 million domed rain forest once planned for Coralville and a sheep industry project in Bozeman, Mont. All had financing approved via congressional earmarks in the past decade.

Perry also tied Santorum to a heated issue from last summer, debt ceiling increases, saying Santorum voted to raise the federal limit of allowable debt eight times while he served in Congress.

“And I’ve got to ask you,” Perry said, “How is that fiscally conservative?”

workingclass artist on December 31, 2011 at 1:47 PM

Elisa on December 31, 2011 at 1:30 PM

workingclass artist on December 31, 2011 at 1:42 PM

That is the wrong tactic for Perry. Perry should simply bring up his executive experience and Texas gaining jobs.

Because Santorum is a true conservative and watches out for taxpayers money. EVERY conservative congressman/Sentor had to vote for some things they wish wouldn’t pass in order to pass the large bills that do cut spending and spend wisely. Can’t get better than Santorum when it comes to a good record fiscally and on taxes and everything else conservative.

Trying to paint Santorum as big government is a lie and will backfire with those who know Santorum’s solid record.

Perry doesn’t have to take down anyone. He needs to just highlight his own good record.

Elisa on December 31, 2011 at 1:49 PM

Dr. Tesla on December 31, 2011 at 1:44 PM

Perry was against NCLB and criticized GWB & the GOP when it passed…

workingclass artist on December 31, 2011 at 1:49 PM

Elisa on December 31, 2011 at 1:49 PM

No. Perry is saying that the other contenders are either creatures of Washington DC or Wall Street.

workingclass artist on December 31, 2011 at 1:51 PM

Texas along with Tennessee tops the states in governmental transparency scoring a 96%…Changes made during Perry’s tenure
That’s the difference.
workingclass artist on December 31, 2011 at 1:35 PM

Too bad Perry doesn’t follow his own state’s track record. When will he be releasing those details on his TEF/ETF slush fund? Why is Perry flushing all his official e-mails before the public gets a chance to review them? What information is Perry afraid of being seen the light of day? What’s a hypocritical double dipper to do?

Fletch54 on December 31, 2011 at 1:52 PM

Elisa on December 31, 2011 at 1:49 PM

Santorum = K Street

workingclass artist on December 31, 2011 at 1:52 PM

Dr. Tesla on December 31, 2011 at 1:47 PM

Perry or Santorum. Newt is as big of a statist as Mitt. Don’t worry about Paul per se, but his followers are young and listening to them and what drives them should be paid attention to.

cartooner on December 31, 2011 at 1:52 PM

Fletch54 on December 31, 2011 at 1:52 PM

All in the public record…it’s Texas Law.

*next*

workingclass artist on December 31, 2011 at 1:53 PM

cartooner on December 31, 2011 at 1:15 PM

What’s intelectually dishonest is to pretend the economic policy is different just because the guy promoting it is a God fearing, gun touting republican from Texas and not a liberal from Chicago.

Alas, “identity politics” is why some big government Christians like Perry and Santorum (or W) are considered conservatives and true conservatives, with conservative records, like Christie and Daniels are bashed as CINOs.

joana on December 31, 2011 at 1:55 PM

My point is these conservative pundits need to be more reponsible in their rhetoric. Perry, Santorum, Gingrich are not statists. They’ve all made bad votes and bad choices, but across the board, they are conservative enough, and better than Romney.

Let’s not eat our own.

Dr. Tesla on December 31, 2011 at 1:55 PM

Elisa on December 31, 2011 at 1:49 PM

workingclass artist on December 31, 2011 at 1:51 PM

Perry could say whatever he wants, but he should stick to the truth.

Santourm is has a solid record of fighting for conservative principles in Washington and getting actual results. He has been a quiet blessing to conservatives for many years now. I’ve followed him.

That doesn’t make his a “creature” of anything bad for our side. I like Perry too, but he should stick to his own good points and not be disingenuous.

got to run. This issue is not even debatable. Facts are fact.

Elisa on December 31, 2011 at 1:57 PM

Jooana,

You don’t know anything about Christie and Mitch Daniels record if you hink they are true conservatives.

Nobody’s dumping on them for simply not being from the south.

Dr. Tesla on December 31, 2011 at 1:57 PM

TheRightMan on December 31, 2011 at 1:28 PM

RightMan I have no beef with Perry and I have not, never spewed vitriol towards Perry.

Perry’s record trumps Palin? for length as governor yes. But for substantive accomplishments, no my friend.

Tell me how many corrupt officials has Perry taken on in his own party in his 10 years as governor?

Tell me how many of the largest private sector deal in the US has Perry negotiated in his 10 years as governor?

Tell me how ethics reforms has Perry instituted in his 10 years as governor?

Tell me how many balanced budgets did Perry sign in his 10 years as governor?

Tell how many surpluses did Perry leave in his 10 years as governor?

Tell me how many crony capitalism practising government officials did Perry fight in his 10 years as governor?

Sarah Palin did all of this in 2 1/2 years as governor. http://www.scribd.com/doc/35447297/Governor-Palin-s-Accomplishments

Sarah Palin was going to be my candidate but she decided against for family reasons. And I am glad that that was the reason she passed on. Like I said considering what the family has been through they deserve their peace.

I have no dog in this race my friend. I have expressed my expectations that Mitt Romney will be the nominee and he’ll lose to Barack Obama.

Rick Perry had an opportunity, he came out with all fanfare and glory and has proceeded to fall flat ever since. And considering how his most fervent and ferocious backers (Redstate, Ace et.al) treated Sarah Palin between the months before her announcement, I must the schadenfreude is delicious.

HerneTheHunter on December 31, 2011 at 1:57 PM

Dr. Tesla on December 31, 2011 at 1:47 PM

cartooner on December 31, 2011 at 1:52 PM

I agree with you guys.

I hope our next President is named “Riok.”

got to run.

Elisa on December 31, 2011 at 1:58 PM

Perry is done, and was done the moment he said “oops”. If you can’t remember a government agency you want to cut on the debate stage, you have no business being there.

rubberneck on December 31, 2011 at 1:58 PM

When Mitt left the primary in 2008, did he blame his campaign staffers for his loss?

haner on December 31, 2011 at 1:59 PM

It is a bit amusing that Erickson and Ace had such disdain for Palin as a candidate but their preferred candidate Perry has been a disaster so far.

I think Palin is at least as bright as Perry seems to be.

Dr. Tesla on December 31, 2011 at 2:00 PM

Perry was against NCLB and criticized GWB & the GOP when it passed…

workingclass artist on December 31, 2011 at 1:49 PM

He may have criticized it before it passed, but he certainly came around to liking it when money became involved:

Perry is no less flawed than any of the other candidates.

Bluray on December 31, 2011 at 2:00 PM

The teacher unions really hated NO Child Left Behind.

It did have some accountability measures in it, I would assume, based on their hatred of it.

Dr. Tesla on December 31, 2011 at 2:03 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on December 31, 2011 at 1:40 PM

I wanted Sarah Palin, not a messiah. But now I get the hostility towards her. The same hostility besieging all other Perry supporters. see (Erick Erickson, Redstate, Ace et.al). This disease kills.

HerneTheHunter on December 31, 2011 at 2:03 PM

HerneTheHunter on December 31, 2011 at 1:57 PM

Austin Texas has a larger population then the entire state of Alaska. Comparing Palin’s 1/2 term as governor with Perry’s 3 terms is amusing.

Perry is a big fan of Palins’ and said so in the WSJ in 2009 & he’s never said an unkind thing about her…Would that Palin & her supporters could say the same thing which of course they can’t.

The reason Palin isn’t running is because of John “Bhopal” Coale and Rick Perry has nothing to do with that.

workingclass artist on December 31, 2011 at 2:05 PM

Elisa on December 31, 2011 at 1:49 PM

No Children Left Behind – Santorum was for it
Medicare prescription-drug bribe – Santorum was for it
Sarbanes-Oxley Act – Santorum was for it (in fact, he was one of its biggest boosters)
Eight debt ceiling raises – Santorum voted for all of them
In eight years, Bush increased the federal government’s regulatory staff by 91,196 employees – Santorum was all for it till his constituents kicked him out of the Senate
K-Street project – Santorum was one of the leaders of that corrupt rent-seeking project
Pork rich Transportation Bill – Santorum was for it
Farm bill – Santorum was for it

It’s basically impossible to find out a single thing where Santorum is a conservative out of religiously related issues. A single thing.

joana on December 31, 2011 at 2:06 PM