Coffee shop owner to Occupiers: Get out

posted at 2:30 pm on December 31, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

Do we have time to squeeze one more Occupy post in for 2011?  Why, sure we do, and this one comes to us courtesy of Chris Moody at Yahoo, who is in Iowa covering the caucuses.  Occupiers plan to stage big demonstrations to disrupt the Republican caucuses on Tuesday, and the man at the center of this confrontation wears a T-shirt helpfully advertising their plot.  If he and his two partners are an example of the brain trust, though, the GOP has little to fear on January 3rd:

On Friday morning before a planned event appearance by Newt Gingrich, some members of “Occupy Iowa” made a stop at Java Joe’s, a coffee shop here that MSNBC has been broadcasting from (MSNBC was not, however, broadcasting the Gingrich appearance).

The protesters didn’t get far before the owner of the shop gave them the boot. … “I just had to shut it down, I couldn’t stand it,” Amy Brehm, who owns the store, told Yahoo News after police escorted the last demonstrators out. “We all have our rights, but not in my place.”

“I hear what you’re saying” just isn’t going to cut it, not when the owner of an establishment wants you out of her coffee shop. Neither is claiming that “C-SPAN called the cops!” And yes, hypocrisy is beautiful when it’s Occupiers complaining that the homeless are eating their food, but what’s hypocritical about a property owner objecting to the hijacking of her business for a political protest she obviously doesn’t support?

I’m not too concerned about the Occupy the Caucuses plot, although I’ve been asked twice about this in radio interviews.  The caucuses are not held in just one or two places — they’re spread out all over the state.  In order to have any impact, you’d have to have thousands of people organizing hundreds of events, and the decentralization would mean little concentration and impact in almost every case.  They might try a concentrated effort just in Des Moines — where most of the media will be, of course — but even that would mean spreading out to a number of venues, and thanks to the loose lips and the T-shirts, the GOP and the police will be ready for them.  Expect a big fizzle on Tuesday night.

Do we have room for one more Steven Crowder video? You bet we do, because Crowder debated a Canadian comedian on the air about the Occupiers, and he brings us the clip from the exchange — along with citations:

I look at this as … something beautiful.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I thought the coffee nuts and the occupiers were in league together. You know – Starbucks is a mainline liberal establishment so to see Amy and her cookies come out against them – does this mean there’s a counter protest amongst the libs?

athenadelphi on December 31, 2011 at 5:07 PM

That’s not how I used to throw non-compliant bums out of the ol’ coffee shop, but you have to be extra nice to these malignant idiots when the cameras are rolling.

forest on December 31, 2011 at 5:07 PM

LOVE it!!!! Finally, some regular folks are standing up to these morons who think they can just wander into a business, create a fuss, take over anybody’s property for their own means. There’s an old saying that these morons just refuse to get, “Your rights end where mine begin.”

littlekittie on December 31, 2011 at 5:08 PM

Occupiers plan to stage big demonstrations to disrupt the Republican caucuses on Tuesday…If he and his two partners are an example of the brain trust, though, the GOP has little to fear on January 3rd

At this point? I’m all for interference if it gets Uncle ‘Ron Paul’ Fester or Mitthead Romulan Romney out of the top 3.

*sigh*

anyone on the planet know how Iowa became 1st to chose and what year that calamity happened?

athenadelphi on December 31, 2011 at 5:12 PM

forest on December 31, 2011 at 5:07 PM

It’s just embarassingly easy to miss the door a few times while escorting ‘em out.

Tim_CA on December 31, 2011 at 5:13 PM

I swear, these self-important pr!x think they are entitled to say and do whatever they want, wherever they want, whenever they want.

Note to Occupy: rights are not absolute. Your rights end where other people’s rights begin. The coffee shop owners of the world have the right to serve whomever they want or to refuse service to whomever they want. You just can’t walk into a business, unshaven, unclean, obnoxious and stupid and disrupt that business. Go out in the cold, where you belong.

DaveyNC on December 31, 2011 at 5:13 PM

She was too polite…

… I would have vented the frustration of the past three years of the Obowma administration’s destruction of this country on that tool, whilst hoisting his petard right out the back door.

I think it is time that these useful idiots completely understand, without a shred of doubt, that we are tired of their tantrums, their ideology, and their political choices…

Seven Percent Solution on December 31, 2011 at 5:15 PM

what are they planning on doing? Preventing Republicans from voting? And why isn’t the GOP exploiting this, and Obama’s embrace of the movement?

ramrants on December 31, 2011 at 5:41 PM

Just one or two of those ‘occupiers’ show up at all the different events, they’re liable to get their asses kicked.

GarandFan on December 31, 2011 at 5:59 PM

#OWSDeadbeat democrats. Always intent on making others miserable.

BruthaMan on December 31, 2011 at 6:08 PM

ramrants on December 31, 2011 at 5:41 PM

Good question. They should be drawing attention to the fact these deadbeat democrats that make up the #OWSDeadbeat “bowl” movement are democrats. These are people that are allergic to work.

BruthaMan on December 31, 2011 at 6:10 PM

athenadelphi

A lot of “progressives”, including some I know personally, hate Starbucks because it is an Evil Corporation like Wal-mart.

I keep waiting for Starbucks to get the “Men’s Wearhouse treatment” from OWS, and I will enjoy it when it happens.

MidniteRambler on December 31, 2011 at 6:16 PM

ramrants on December 31, 2011 at 5:41 PM

You realize you are talking about the GOP establishment, right?

These are the same people who in 2008 thought it was a bad idea to mention Soetoro’s ties to Jeremiah Wright and Bill Ayers, and racist to call Soetoro by his current legal name of Barack Hussein Obama.

MidniteRambler on December 31, 2011 at 6:20 PM

Good riddance.

ted c on December 31, 2011 at 6:25 PM

That woman seemed very nice. Good for her for sticking up for herself! I applaud her!

bluegill on December 31, 2011 at 6:39 PM

Reserving the right to refuse service since 1776.

solatic on December 31, 2011 at 6:56 PM

Hurray for Amy! If only the leaders of large corporations like Brookfield Properties and Bank of New York/Mellon weren’t such wussies that they let the commies infect their property. The only company I directly hold stock in is Bank of New York/Mellon. I called up their investor relations and demanded that they evict the commies. Several weeks later they finally had enough, but the leftist judges in Pittsburgh are protecting the commie squatters. It’s quite annoying to have judges that don’t respect property rights.

thuja on December 31, 2011 at 3:04 PM

I was in Pittsburgh in November for their annual Light-Up Night, a family-friendly event that kicks off the Christmas shopping season. The building across the street from BNY Mellon and the small park where the Occupy Pittsburgh crowd is located is the USX Tower. The Tower and the Diocese of Pittsburgh always sponsor and build a beautiful creche with hand-painted figurines. The evening I was there, a choir was singing contemporary Christian seasonal hymns and the atmosphere was festive and joyful, with lots of people, including me, snapping photos and singing along with the choir.

What I found hilarious was that many groups of people who came to see the creche were — how shall we say — deliberately avoiding the Occupiers either by crossing the street at the opposite corner to get to the Tower, or studiously ignoring them if they had to pass by directly. There was a beefy guy handing out flyers and someone else mumbling through a bullhorn, but it seemed only one or two people that I saw even accepted them. Hmmm … gee, must be rough to get people interested in the Occupy “cause” when all they really want to do is enjoy the Christmas atmosphere and do some shopping.

PatriotGal2257 on December 31, 2011 at 7:03 PM

Well, there went her tip!

I suppose that assumes Jolly Old Saint Nicked actually bought something at Java Joe’s. Maybe Ms. Hypocrisy bought her cup there, but they’re still expecting a lot of forbearance for under $10. Java Joe’s should add a new menu item:

Tantrum – $100.00 for up to 100 dB, add $25 for each additional dB. $1,000.00 extra for excreting bodily fluids.

swiaGunToter on December 31, 2011 at 7:40 PM

Of course she has never seen them before because they were bused in from another state.

Roymunson on December 31, 2011 at 8:07 PM

Anyone, what was CSPAN Lady the victim of?

hawkdriver on December 31, 2011 at 9:19 PM

littlekittie on December 31, 2011 at 5:08 PM

In real property law, there’s a doctrine called open and notorious adverse possession. That’s where a property owner has used a portion of an adjoining property for a certain period of time (usually ten years) without protest from the true owner.

The trespasser ends up owning the land he/she trespassed upon.

I am certain that is where these fools got the idea to “occupy” various places.

platypus on December 31, 2011 at 9:29 PM

If only our politicians would take the same stance at our borders.

mtucker5695 on December 31, 2011 at 10:10 PM

The thing I found noteworthy about the video was the age of the Occupiers. Here in LA, the ones I’ve been stepping over are in their 20′s, bedheaded, and multipley pierced. Except for the career homeless and insane who mingle among them who are 30-something. The three Occupiers invading this coffee shop look to be in their 60′s. I bet they love Pete Seeger and belong to a teacher’s union.

NahnCee on January 1, 2012 at 1:46 AM

“Happy New Year ya filthy animals.”

LOLOL! Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamen! :D

Handel on January 1, 2012 at 2:26 AM

If only our politicians would take the same stance at our borders.

mtucker5695 on December 31, 2011 at 10:10 PM

My last minute pick for Quote of the Year…

RalphyBoy on January 1, 2012 at 2:51 AM

Still haven’t met an occupier, but that may be cause I live in a relatively small town, a couple of colleges here..

Know the mindset though,..

I think they believe being hated just means that they’re even more elite and special.. apart from the “sheeple”.. a thinking all too common among fringe groups. A great many Paulites fall into that catogory.. I’m a tiny minority point of view, therefore,.. I’m elite!

well,.. no.. they’re not,

But you will never convince them, being fringe isn’t the same as being smarter than the masses. To me, it just shows a lack of an ability to assimilate into the community at large.

mark81150 on January 1, 2012 at 3:20 AM

I believe it was 2006 and I was leaving Deerfield Beach Florida to relocate for work. There was an anti-war protest the day I was leaving. There were about 10 of these people holding sings on Hillsboro drive. This one older gentlemen (I use the term loosely) was running in and out of traffic at the light trying to handout some kind of paper.

I was tired, I just spent five hours packing and had a long drive ahead of me. So, when this individual started walking toward my car I shook my head No! Mind you he was not on the median, he was walking straight down a busy three land roadway right in front of my car. He moved off toward the passenger’s side and as the light had been green for 15 seconds now I started to move out. The is when this idiot punches the window of my car and then holds some paper to it. Luckily I had the sense to brake and stop and had not been accelerating very fast at that point.

When I opened my car door to get out this brave soul actually began running away. All the while blocking traffic as he had to cross two other lanes to get to the end of the road. I drove off without saying anything.

These are the same people. They are paid “astroturfed” protesters and the only thing that changes is the names they call their group and the cause de jour they are supposed to be protesting. It is nonsense.

Individualist on January 1, 2012 at 5:21 AM

Good for the owner!

WannabeAnglican on January 1, 2012 at 8:19 AM

The trespasser ends up owning the land he/she trespassed upon.

I am certain that is where these fools got the idea to “occupy” various places.

platypus on December 31, 2011 at 9:29 PM

You are indeed correct. There are romantic notions about squatting in leftist activist culture. We must admit the most damaging fact to our side that they sometimes do achieve a sort of beauty in their squats. Still, we need to work to overturn the open and notorious adverse possession doctrine.

thuja on January 1, 2012 at 9:49 AM

If you can’t argue the facts, argue the source, or, kill the messenger.

LizardLips on December 31, 2011 at 4:49 PM

Yep…standard tactics of Libbies:
1) Check Alinsky’s rules, esp. 5 & 13.
NB: Unfortunately, they don’t pay attention to the other ones, such as 2,7 & 12.
2) Check for possible logical fallacy to use
3) Deflect to unrelated topic
Often, just a Copy/paste/cut-n-run

They’ve a pretty poor grasp on their own playbook.

And of course, they are mostly emotion-driven, so baiting a Libbie becomes a new sport. Waiting for it to show up on ESPN next major sports strike.

ProfShadow on January 1, 2012 at 10:14 AM

Tim_CA on December 31, 2011

(chuckle)
I’ve found that “slipping” and dipping head to the side as you “escort” them out the door allows the door jamb to leave a lasting impression.
(grin)

~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus on January 1, 2012 at 11:32 AM

I read where the #OWS people said they were going to disrupt appearances, not the caucus voting process. The GOP shouldn’t say anything unless and until the actual caucuses are interfered with. Then the media will not be able to ignore it and the #OWS and their adherents can be linked with Obama and the Dems as undemocratic totalitarians. The possibilities for TV ads would be endless. Here’s one who’s hoping for widespread attempts at voter disruption on Tuesday.

xkaydet65 on January 1, 2012 at 11:44 AM

Is this what the 99% look like –an old geezer waddling to the door struggling to support his too well-fed body and wearing a preppy sweater ensemble? Poor thing, he must be struggling to pay off his student loans at 63.

Love how the “hypocrisy” occupier clutches her 16-oz latte supreme as she heads for the door –boom–baba-boom. Perhaps if she switched to the 4-oz she could sprint a little faster. You need to be swift and mobile as an occupier.

Mark Ybel on January 1, 2012 at 12:20 PM

Fat slob blowhard gets thrown out of coffee shop..
Probably NOT a “first” for this obnoxious nitwit..
(checkout this dudes female acolytes hahaha)
Likely, has lots of experience getting thrown outta local bars..
Check out that beer gut on this Santa willya !

BigSven on January 1, 2012 at 1:36 PM

thuja on January 1, 2012 at 9:49 AM

Heh.

unclesmrgol on January 1, 2012 at 3:05 PM

@unclesmrgol on January 1, 2012 at 3:05 PM

I’m going to be stupid and seriously respond! A squat would require more of a knee bend than seen in the photo.

thuja on January 1, 2012 at 5:56 PM

MidniteRambler on December 31, 2011 at 6:16 PM

I have yet to see any of these clowns cop a clue that Apple is another “evil empire” that uses harassment tactics against their competition.
“There are none so blind as those who will not see”.

mad scientist on January 1, 2012 at 8:11 PM

thuja on January 1, 2012 at 5:56 PM

Maybe that’s all this poor misguided man was capable of doing. Who are we to judge the squattiness of the mentally handicapped?

unclesmrgol on January 1, 2012 at 11:01 PM

Funny how the supposed “99%” are constantly outnumbered by the people who disagree with their stances, huh?

PJ Emeritus on January 2, 2012 at 12:59 PM