An unconventional New Years Eve

posted at 1:00 pm on December 31, 2011 by Jazz Shaw

As we reach the end of what has been a trying and disappointing year for many Americans, I’m sure most of you are planning on lifting your spirits with some traditional New Years Eve festivities. Best of luck to you and I wish you well, but I abandoned the old ceremonies some years ago. However, I won’t let the day slip away and the calendar turn over without a few thoughts, observations and hopes.

First on the agenda is the renowned tradition of going out for a party on Dec. 31st to welcome in the new year with others. You can have it. I’m staying home. (Again.) Police refer to New Years Eve as “amateur night” for a reason. Lots of people with very little experience drinking alcohol (unlike we professionals… *cough*) go out to parties, down a few pints and suddenly decide they’re just fine to be behind the wheel. And being the cusp of January, they often make this decision when the roads will be covered in ice and snow. No thank you.

But if you do decide to go out and drink a lot – and manage to survive to make it back home – you may be interested in some of these professional tips for curing hangovers from famous historical drinkers. Speaking from a similar level of experience, I’ll share my own secret with you. Before going to bed, drink a big glass of water, along with taking an aspirin and 1000 mg each of Vitamin C and B complex. Then put a couple of bottles of water on the nightstand near your bed. If you wake up in the middle of the night when nature calls, down another bottle of water. Dehydration and vitamin depletion are two of the big killers in terms of hangovers and you can mitigate a lot of the damage by following those steps.

Whether out and about or safely at home, you may be planning to stay up and watch the ball drop. Not me. I’ll be in bed. There’s nothing particularly magical about yet another second ticking off the clock of eternity, and I remain confident that when I wake up tomorrow morning the year 2012 will have successfully arrived without my supervision. I get up early every day, and I go to bed early as well. Why start my year off dead tired and off schedule? That’s no way to launch a fresh start.

Another thing I won’t be doing is making any resolutions. It’s just a way to set yourself up for disappointment. There’s no sense in deciding on January 1st that you’re going to quit smoking, drink less, eat better, exercise more, or finally read War and Peace. When you inevitably falter a few weeks later, all you’ve done is manage to depress yourself before you even make it to Valentine’s Day.

Instead, what say we all get together and come up with some resolutions for our elected leaders? After all, they work for us and should at least be open to some suggestions. I’ll start us off with a few, but feel free to add in your own.

1. How about you resolve to actually put America first rather than just talking about it? When making a decision, stop for a moment and consider not just the political ramifications, but whether or not your choice will really affect Americans in a positive fashion.

2. Resolve to have a “mid-life crisis” this year, no matter what your age. Are you really in the job you want and are qualified for? Maybe you really should be doing something else with your life, so by all means don’t stick around on our account. (No, I’m not specifically talking about Nancy Pelosi, but if the shoe fits… )

3. Resolve to adjust your ratio of talking to listening in a downward direction. We sent a big ole’ message to all of you in 2010, yet I can’t help but feel that some of you weren’t really listening. Maybe you were too busy flapping your gums and reciting the talking points that your staff writes for you. Listen. To. Us.

4. Resolve to simply be a good person. I know that sounds trite and obvious, but apparently it’s not all that easy. But if you do, we’ll notice and you’ll be rewarded for it. Just because you can do something doesn’t necessarily mean you should do it. You don’t have an approval rating in single digits by accident. Just be a good person, OK?

OK, that’s enough for me. I need to start chilling the champagne for my bride so we can drink it after the early bird special. Happy New Years to all the Hot Air faithful readers everywhere and may 2012 bring you wisdom, happiness and good fortune.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

May the land be wise in 2012!

Schadenfreude on December 31, 2011 at 1:02 PM

I resolved not to make any resolutions last year.

WhatNot on December 31, 2011 at 1:03 PM

Drink responsibly, drive safely, and let someone else drive if you’re impaired.

NaCly dog on December 31, 2011 at 1:03 PM

Have a great New Year’s Eve everyone and try not to become a short news article.

bigdicksplace on December 31, 2011 at 1:07 PM

Gonna get my wife healthy. She has four more chemo treatments to go. Gonna take a few months to help her recover from that.

I am going to start my own small ammunition manufacturing business, probably towards the end of the year. Gonna take me a while to build up some capital. Nothing fancy, but something I want to do.

catmman on December 31, 2011 at 1:08 PM

5. Make laws that NEVER exclude you, the president, nor anyone else!!!

6. If you do, you MUST be ‘pitchforked’.

Schadenfreude on December 31, 2011 at 1:08 PM

1. How about you resolve to actually put America first rather than just talking about it? When making a decision, stop for a moment and consider not just the political ramifications, but whether or not your choice will really affect Americans in a positive fashion be in line with the constitution.

Sorry if I look like a crabby contrarian, Jazz. I’m to the point where I don’t want what government does to affect me AT ALL.

gryphon202 on December 31, 2011 at 1:09 PM

gryphon202 on December 31, 2011 at 1:09 PM

Whoops. Tagging fail.

gryphon202 on December 31, 2011 at 1:10 PM

My son turns 18 in April and graduates high school in May.
I’m too young to be old.
Nooooo.
*whine*

annoyinglittletwerp on December 31, 2011 at 1:10 PM

I heartily recommend reading War and Peace, though. I read it about seven years ago and it’s fantastic. Tolstoy’s descriptions of Borodino and Waterloo alone are worth the price of admission.

Dack Thrombosis on December 31, 2011 at 1:11 PM

Happy New Year everyone.

May God bless you and your families in the New Year with health, peace and happiness.

This is the first year in my 52 years that I will add a political wish to my hopes for the New Year.

I pray we get rid of Obama in 2012, even if it’s Romney. Because our country will never be the same again if Obama is re-elected.

God bless the USA.

Elisa on December 31, 2011 at 1:14 PM

Like what? Do something that improves YOUR station in life and you will have improved America…that’s really about it.

winston on December 31, 2011 at 1:17 PM

Elisa on December 31, 2011 at 1:14 PM

Back at ya!
My son will be voting for the first time in November.
The future looks bright.

annoyinglittletwerp on December 31, 2011 at 1:19 PM

Thanks for reinforcing the stereotypes of us old folks, Jazz.

Early bird special, indeed.

flipflop on December 31, 2011 at 1:19 PM

Think of others before you drink and drive.
And, for everyone’s sake, make a resolution to do everything in your power to unseat our present POTUS this coming November. Support whomever gets the nomination. Anyone will be better than what we have now.
Other than that, Happy New Year everyone!

rightmom2 on December 31, 2011 at 1:19 PM

LOTS OF B50 BEFORE ALCOHOL.

blatantblue on December 31, 2011 at 1:20 PM

Happy New Year, HA faithful!

kingsjester on December 31, 2011 at 1:21 PM

B50 helps eliminate acetaldehyde in the liver so it helps with a hangover

blatantblue on December 31, 2011 at 1:22 PM

Elisa on December 31, 2011 at 1:14 PM

Back at ya!
My son will be voting for the first time in November.
The future looks bright.

annoyinglittletwerp on December 31, 2011 at 1:19 PM

I hope he gets the opportunity to vote for someone named “Rick.” lol

Either one.

Happy New Year and God bless your family.

Elisa on December 31, 2011 at 1:22 PM

5. Pass legislation on its merits, instead of its sponsorship.

ss396 on December 31, 2011 at 1:24 PM

Happy New Year. Enjoy it while you can because the earth will explode or something on December 21, 2012.

The Rogue Tomato on December 31, 2011 at 1:24 PM

Happy New Year Hot Airys and Gassers! :D

I’ll be resting up for Iowa Caucus night, it’s going to be a late one.

DeniseVB on December 31, 2011 at 1:28 PM

Happy New Year everybody!

atxcowgirl on December 31, 2011 at 1:28 PM

I hope he gets the opportunity to vote for someone named “Rick.” lol

Either one.

Happy New Year and God bless your family.

Elisa on December 31, 2011 at 1:22 PM

I’m not running this time………Oh wait, you meant…..nevermind.

VegasRick on December 31, 2011 at 1:29 PM

Wishing HA and all commentors (including the trolls) a very safe, happy, healthy and prosperous 2012!

Liberty or Death on December 31, 2011 at 1:30 PM

The Rogue Tomato on December 31, 2011 at 1:24 PM

The world’s not ending-the Class of 2012 is just taking over.
*So says my Spawn*

annoyinglittletwerp on December 31, 2011 at 1:30 PM

The Rogue Tomato on December 31, 2011 at 1:24 PM

And they will blame Bush.

VegasRick on December 31, 2011 at 1:30 PM

The Rogue Tomato on December 31, 2011 at 1:24 PM

Heh, makes 366 days, minus 10 for next year :)

Schadenfreude on December 31, 2011 at 1:30 PM

All here at HA have a safe and fun New Year’s Eve. May 2012 bring us elected in dc to help our Republic back to where is should be. May we get bho and mo out of OUR HOUSE in 2012! God bless our Republic, our military, and all who post and look at HA.
L

letget on December 31, 2011 at 1:31 PM

My wife of 32 years passed away in August after a 16 year battle with cancer.

This is the chief reason why I am now counting down the minutes until this hellish year is forever relegated to the past!

After today, I don’t ever want to hear the year 2011 mentioned ever again!

Ever!

pilamaye on December 31, 2011 at 1:32 PM

I’ll be in the financial district of Manhattan tonight. Maybe I can find an OWS girl and make out sloppily with her?

I kid I kid.

I do.

Maybe.

blatantblue on December 31, 2011 at 1:32 PM

VegasRick on December 31, 2011 at 1:29 PM

lol

Elisa on December 31, 2011 at 1:33 PM

pilamaye on December 31, 2011 at 1:32 PM

So sorry about your wife. No one should have to experience that. Hope your 2012 brings you something well deserved.

blatantblue on December 31, 2011 at 1:34 PM

pilamaye on December 31, 2011 at 1:32 PM

*hug*

annoyinglittletwerp on December 31, 2011 at 1:34 PM

pilamaye on December 31, 2011 at 1:32 PM

Bless your heart. I pray God will give you comfort and 2012 will be a better year for you.
L

letget on December 31, 2011 at 1:35 PM

pilamaye on December 31, 2011 at 1:32 PM

When my father died, my parents had been married 34 years. According to my mother-it WILL get easier.
Don’t know what else to say.

annoyinglittletwerp on December 31, 2011 at 1:36 PM

Happy New Year fellow Hot Gasers. Not sure what this is the year of for the Chinese, but for us, may it be the year of a new president.

msupertas on December 31, 2011 at 1:38 PM

Dack Thrombosis on December 31, 2011 at 1:11 PM

Ditto. OK, I listened to a lot of it on Audio CDs, but some of it may be even better that way. An absolutely joyous, riveting experience.

bobs1196 on December 31, 2011 at 1:39 PM

pilamaye on December 31, 2011 at 1:32 PM

Condolences.

catmman on December 31, 2011 at 1:39 PM

My wife of 32 years passed away in August after a 16 year battle with cancer.

After today, I don’t ever want to hear the year 2011 mentioned ever again!

Ever!

pilamaye on December 31, 2011 at 1:32 PM

I am so very sorry for your loss. I pray that tonight and next year you may be comforted by your memories of her and know how fortunate you were to have had her. Some people will never have the life you had with her and no one can ever take that away from you.

God rest her soul and give you peace. You are both never alone, you are both in God’s hands until the day when

‘He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death’or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.” (Revelation 21)

You are in my prayers. God bless you.

Elisa on December 31, 2011 at 1:40 PM

Condolences.

catmman on December 31, 2011 at 1:39 PM

And I hope you and your wife have a phenomenal 2012, as best you can.

blatantblue on December 31, 2011 at 1:41 PM

Happy New Year HA family!!

*clink* (it’s midnight somewhere)

cmsinaz on December 31, 2011 at 1:43 PM

pilamaye on December 31, 2011 at 1:32 PM

very sorry for your loss

cmsinaz on December 31, 2011 at 1:43 PM

Thanks everyone for the kind thoughts and comments. It has been a very bad year for myself and my family. Hopefully 2012 will be better.

pilamaye on December 31, 2011 at 1:46 PM

Maybe.

blatantblue on December 31, 2011 at 1:32 PM

That blonde Native American chick on O’Reilly was actually pretty hot. But then, as is common with free cheese, SNAP — everything goes horribly awry.

Axe on December 31, 2011 at 1:47 PM

Axe on December 31, 2011 at 1:47 PM

Free cheese is always suspicious

blatantblue on December 31, 2011 at 1:50 PM

Hopefully 2012 will be better.

pilamaye on December 31, 2011 at 1:46 PM

Stay around family and friends, and go have a lot of fun!

blatantblue on December 31, 2011 at 1:53 PM

blatantblue on December 31, 2011 at 1:41 PM

Thank, BB!

catmman on December 31, 2011 at 1:53 PM

Hopefully 2012 will be better.

pilamaye on December 31, 2011 at 1:46 PM

It will. And time heals all wounds no matter how deep. Stay strong.

VegasRick on December 31, 2011 at 1:54 PM

pilamaye on December 31, 2011 at 1:32 PM

So sorry for the loss of your beloved wife. My parents were married 50 years when she passed from a very long battle with breast cancer last year She hung in there and made sure she was here for what was a tremendous celebration and died shortly thereafter. My dad is 81 and just now has turned the corner so to speak and has become kind of a Christian after being an agnostic Greek all his life. He goes to church so he can feel closer to my mother who went every Sunday no matter how sick she was. Sorry for rambling…but I guess I am saying it does get better

Happy and Blessed New Year to all and thank you to Ed, AP, Jazz, Tina et al for all the hard work you do it is a wonder! Also to all commenters, you are are the best and I appreciate the incredible intelligence not to mention wit you all have. It is an honor to be a part of Hot Air.

FLconservative on December 31, 2011 at 1:56 PM

Happy New Year to all of my Hot Air bretheren, gonna stay home and tie a bit on…And KICK the miserable fail 2011 was to the curb with gusto. Here`s to optimism for the new year…And kicking King Barry to the curb….WITH GUSTO

NY Conservative on December 31, 2011 at 1:56 PM

A toast to all for 2012.
Keep your faith in God and all good things. Live in joyous expectancy of the best…and may marvelous and unforeseen wonders occur in your life each day.
Happy New Year!

lynncgb on December 31, 2011 at 1:58 PM

Goodbye 2011! Don’t let the door hit you in the @ss on the way out! Hello 2012!

Happy New Year to all at Hot Air/HotGas…….. May 2012 be better for everyone than 2011 was.

It’s nearly time to fix the mistake of ’08!
***
As Pete Townsend said…

We’ll be fighting in the streets
With our children at our feet
And the morals when they worship will be gone
And the men who spurred us on
Sit in judgement of all wrong
They decide and the shotgun sings the song

[Chorus] I’ll tip my hat to the new constitution
Take a bow for the new revolution
Smile and grin at the change all around
Pick up my guitar and play
Just like yesterday
Then I’ll get on my knees and pray
We don’t get fooled again…

Green eyed Lady on December 31, 2011 at 1:59 PM

And Happy New Year to you Jazz, Ed, Tina, and Allahpundit. Hot Gas is on my daily must reads, and I’m grateful for all you do.

simkeith on December 31, 2011 at 2:00 PM

5. Resolve to follow the Reverse Golden Rule: Do unto yourself what you do unto others, which means for some of you dumbass congress critters and King Putt, too, if you impose on us a bad law or regulation, you must impose the same on yourself, no exclusions or exemptions because of your title or office!

______________

Happy New Year, y’all!

TXUS on December 31, 2011 at 2:00 PM

“Recent events have underscored that our system is deficient,” he said in a statement. “Virginia owes her citizens a better process. We can do it in time for the March primary if we resolve to do so quickly.”
Cuccinelli’s proposal is expected to state that if the Virginia Board of Elections certifies that a candidate is receiving federal matching funds, or has qualified to receive them, that candidate will upon request be automatically added to the ballot.
Two former Democratic attorneys general are also backing the move, along with a former Democratic state party chairman and a former Republican state party chairman.
Former state Attorney General Tony Troy called the Virginia process a “legal and constitutional embarrassment.”

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/12/31/virginia-attorney-general-intervenes-in-gop-primary-ballot-dispute/#ixzz1i8mWHvzu

FLconservative on December 31, 2011 at 2:04 PM

40,000 NEW LAWS FOR 2012,didnt see anything about repealing 40,000 old one’s. Yep,i think your right,their still not listening.

svs22422 on December 31, 2011 at 2:07 PM

Getting older is no reason to ‘see nothing magical’ in the dawning of a new year. It represent hope for a better year than the last and letting of the baggage that dragged you down over the last year.

Sorry, Jazz, but you’re advice, no matter how well intended, is strikingly cynical. There’s no law that says you have to get plastered on New Years Eve. There’s no law that says you have to try TOO hard to have a good time. You can enjoy a glass or two of champagne in the company of friends…or alone with loved one… as well as a New Years kiss at the stroke of midnight… without necessitating a drinking binge and an massive hangover to greet the new year.

There’s a reason that these traditions endure. They make the special moments of our lives and vanquish the mundane from our memories when we summon them up. I hope that you do have a happy new year and that you at least share a kiss with someone special before you retire the year.

thatsafactjack on December 31, 2011 at 2:08 PM

lynncgb on December 31, 2011 at 1:58 PM

What a nice toast, thank you. Mine’s not so nice:

“Here’s to those who wish us well, may all the rest go straight to hell. Though they be many and we be few, to hell with them and here’s to you.”

TXUS on December 31, 2011 at 2:08 PM

I resolve to keep my wife, not fall for the shuck from south Texas, file my taxes one sec before the deadline, and smash my cellphone the minute I win the lotto.

Limerick on December 31, 2011 at 2:14 PM

Greetings from 2012 past-dwellers!

DarkCurrent on December 31, 2011 at 2:15 PM

Let’s not get carried away about New Years. We got a major election coming in Iowa. Let’s not rest even on nyears as a critical danger is MA Mitt claims victory. Listen to this from sultanknish:

There is no serious or honest argument to make for Romney except that he may be electable and even that is debatable. He is at best more electable than his rivals because he’s inoffensive. He’s a window store mannequin with few views that he’s not willing to change before and after an election. Which is why the establishment is running itself ragged trying to find an argument for backing him.

This isn’t going to get people excited, won’t raise $, won’t fend off a third party. Find an emergency brake.

anotherJoe on December 31, 2011 at 2:16 PM

EBL has New Years Eve drinking advice for the ladies! We should start the year off right!

Mr. Joe on December 31, 2011 at 2:17 PM

Greetings from 2012 past-dwellers!

DarkCurrent on December 31, 2011 at 2:15 PM

lol — damn, and it was DarkCurrent

Axe on December 31, 2011 at 2:25 PM

The year can’t be over until we check out JibJab’s year in review. A perennial rite of passage. This year with extra Weiner!

astuddis on December 31, 2011 at 2:26 PM

If that hag is in mid-life…!

disa on December 31, 2011 at 2:27 PM

It will be a happy new year when my Christmas guests leave…..

To everyone else: Happy New Year! 2012 has to be much better then 2011.

V7_Sport on December 31, 2011 at 2:28 PM

If that hag is in mid-life…!

disa on December 31, 2011 at 2:27 PM

Yay! 2012 = life span increase!

Axe on December 31, 2011 at 2:28 PM

After 3.5 hours here, 2012 so far seems much like 2011, except our clothes are more fashionable

DarkCurrent on December 31, 2011 at 2:32 PM

From “The Wind and the Lion” -

Sean Connery, playing the Rahsuli:

“It’s been a bad year…, and next year will probably be even worse.”

Loins girded, y’all?

Bruno Strozek on December 31, 2011 at 2:35 PM

My son turns 18 in April and graduates high school in May.
I’m too young to be old.
Nooooo.
*whine*

annoyinglittletwerp on December 31, 2011 at 1:10 PM

Heh, I’m still trying to wrap my brain around the fact that our daughter is 20–I choke each time I say it!

No snow AT ALL yet. Aurelio’s in the old oven tonight—yeeuuuummmmm!

Happy New Year to all.

herm2416 on December 31, 2011 at 2:44 PM

My resolution for 2012 :
Look at the one and only thing which I never looked at before , at all, all these years of my life, as a reason for every crime.
If that reason is not found, then and only then move on to find another reason for the crime.

burrata on December 31, 2011 at 2:49 PM

pilamaye on December 31, 2011 at 1:32 PM

Nothing we say will mean much but understanding thoughts go out to you. It’s been a tough year in so many regards.

Schadenfreude on December 31, 2011 at 2:53 PM

catmman on December 31, 2011 at 1:08 PM

All the best to you and your wife, catmman.

Life is so bitter-sweet, not in equal proportions.

Schadenfreude on December 31, 2011 at 2:57 PM

Schadenfreude on December 31, 2011 at 2:57 PM

Thanks!

catmman on December 31, 2011 at 3:00 PM

Happy New Year HotAir!!!

May all our snarky observations and petty grievances make for another year’s worth of interesting reading.

abobo on December 31, 2011 at 3:03 PM

Happy new year to all…we celebrated last night here, because we are old people and wanted to eat Chinese food downtown, and you cannot get in on New Year’s Eve, old people won’t stand in line for food…you eat sooner at home.

I toasted my husband with some kind of green tea and wished him a New Year in which we wave bye bye to Obama. That is my new years wish: Just take that man away and let us get on with our lives!

The thought of him going in the new year made me extremely happy, a lot happier than I was last year thinking it was two years to go.

I am working for Mitt, but I wish you and yours will get up and at em in the New Year, especially the ceylon and darjeeling crowd, and work for your candidates…local ones…and especially Senatorial campaigns. Your small candidate can make such a difference, when we are all out there communicating with each other and encouraging each other. And if you like the Newt or one of the others, get up and get involved.

God bless, in the New Year, Happy New Year, don’t forget the Bubbles!

Fleuries on December 31, 2011 at 3:08 PM

DarkCurrent on December 31, 2011 at 2:32 PM

Um .. are their 501′s in the future?

I’ve already been on borrowed time …

Axe on December 31, 2011 at 3:17 PM

Hau’oli Makahiki Hou!

I’ll probably will be saying this all day and tomorrow!
I usually am a half full optimist, but I’m finding my convictions challenged these days. I mean really challenged.

I will not be half empty….

Kini on December 31, 2011 at 3:22 PM

Um .. are their 501′s in the future?

I’ve already been on borrowed time …

Axe on December 31, 2011 at 3:17 PM

They’re hard to get anymore.

DarkCurrent on December 31, 2011 at 3:26 PM

Kini on December 31, 2011 at 3:22 PM

It seems unfair and arbitrary that you’ll be left there till the very end.

DarkCurrent on December 31, 2011 at 3:31 PM

They’re hard to get anymore.

DarkCurrent on December 31, 2011 at 3:26 PM

… must. stop. that. ball …

Axe on December 31, 2011 at 3:31 PM

Happy New Year to Hot Air and all! 2012 will usher in a much steeper electoral map for Obama to climb … http://bit.ly/qVdDUt

Here’s hoping it may prove to be a bridge too far. Cheers!

ombdz on December 31, 2011 at 3:36 PM

Mother-In-Law flew home early this morning!

God Bless Us, Everyone!!!!!

Happy New Year y’all….Tomorrow is the 1st day of li’l bammie’s LAST YEAR IN OFFICE!!

Tim_CA on December 31, 2011 at 3:36 PM

Happy New Year from Dubai!

Wait until you see our fireworks on YouTube.

JetBlast on December 31, 2011 at 3:36 PM

Greetings from Slovakia and to all my new HA American friends…..

………..Šťastný Nový Rok!

No champagne in these parts, just plenty of pivo!

Na zdravie!

JPeterman on December 31, 2011 at 3:52 PM

I’m not a big fan of New Years Eve celebrations. To me it comes off as phony to be celebrating the turn of the calendar. As the comments before mine so clearly illustrate. For some 2011 sucked while some have reason to celebrate. Some welcome 2012 for new opportunity while others see it as another year they are going have to struggle to keep it all together. In short, of all the non-holiday holidays, New Years ranks right up there with Groundhog day or Halloween.

I’ll end with this unabashedly and unashamed Christian prayer to all those who frequent Hot Air/Hot Gas.

Eternal God, who makes all things new, and lives forever the same: Grant us to begin this year in faith, and to continue it in your favor; that, being guided in all our doings, and guarded in all our days, we may spend our lives in your service, and finally, by your graces attain the glory of everlasting life; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen. (from the 1946 version of the Presbyterian Book of Common Worship)

Happy Nomad on December 31, 2011 at 3:59 PM

TXUS on December 31, 2011 at 2:08 PM

In the interest of full disclosure, I read that passage somewhere many years ago. Perhaps an old Celtic prayer? I found it to be inspirational and recite it to myself often.
And may I add, I find your toast to be perfectly wonderful.

lynncgb on December 31, 2011 at 3:59 PM

Um .. are their 501′s in the future?

I’ve already been on borrowed time …

Axe on December 31, 2011 at 3:17 PM

They’re hard to get anymore.

DarkCurrent on December 31, 2011 at 3:26 PM

Diamond Gusset jeans… Made in USA!

Happy New Years, people… be safe!

Ugly on December 31, 2011 at 4:00 PM

Hilariously enough, War and Peace has made it back into my small stack of books at my bedside. I read it once before back in 1999 and I liked it. I figured that after a decade, it was time to read it again. Also, I finally bought the movie (the awesome Ruscico version) and I will hopefully be watching it on the 2nd. :) :) :)

Theophile on December 31, 2011 at 4:10 PM

here’s apiece of advice if you don’t want to get a hangover don’t drink to excess you pikers. Also isn’t tomorrow Sunday? Don’t all you religious wack job fundies need to show your face at church so your “god” can take attendance?

Your Mamma loves me on December 31, 2011 at 4:11 PM

pilamaye on December 31, 2011 at 1:32 PM

When my dad passed away in Sep 2007, he had already lost a son in Jan 2004, his wife of 58 years in Aug 2005 and his last sibling in Oct 2006. He was also wheelchair bound but I moved heaven and earth to keep him in his house. It was the hardest 4 year span of his life and my life too. I think it was his faith that got him through because my brother’s death took its toll. We may not get over those kinds of losses but we get through them. As far as missing them, well, for me that never goes away. Have faith my friend.

TxAnn56 on December 31, 2011 at 4:14 PM

thatsafactjack on December 31, 2011 at 2:08 PM

I’ve got to respectfully disagree. Who said that 2011 sucked? For me it didn’t despite the Obama depression. I like the whole clean slate idea but this an individual thing and one can do it whenever they want without benefit of the turning of the calendar.

I mean this sincerely. I would hope that all those who frequent Hot Air/ Hot Gas would take full advantage of whatever opportunity they face in 2012 and that they spend some time tomorrow not in celebration of the year past but in reflecting on the future.

Happy Nomad on December 31, 2011 at 4:18 PM

Hopefully 2012 will be better.

pilamaye on December 31, 2011 at 1:46 PM

It will. And time heals all wounds no matter how deep. Stay strong.

VegasRick on December 31, 2011 at 1:54 PM

Ditto!
Happy New Year to Everyone!

KOOLAID2 on December 31, 2011 at 4:19 PM

Your Mamma loves me on December 31, 2011 at 4:11 PM

Okay, that is just offensive.

Happy Nomad on December 31, 2011 at 4:23 PM

Año Nuevo!

From a TXN in Puerto Rico!

tinkerthinker on December 31, 2011 at 4:54 PM

Your Mamma loves me on December 31, 2011 at 4:11 PM

Angry at the world are we?

Well Happy New Year, and may God Bless You in 2012.

(and btw….it’s “whack-job”)

Tim_CA on December 31, 2011 at 5:00 PM

You’re killing me Jazz. 2011 was year 2 of my husband’s midlife crisis (how long are these? my dad and mom died so I can’t ask) and you’re wanting him to have MORE? Thanks, man. Appreciate the chaos that brings – so as I’m putting out fires on that side of the equation, I’m not allowed to have MY midlife crisis. yeesh.

athenadelphi on December 31, 2011 at 5:21 PM