Video: Newt gets emotional; Update: “I won’t cry,” says Romney; Update: More context; Update: Video added

posted at 5:00 pm on December 30, 2011 by Allahpundit

Touching and obviously heartfelt, yet naturally processed by politicos as a potential gamechanging “Hillary moment” for Gingrich on the eve of a big vote. I doubt it’ll change much. Hillary had to beat one guy in New Hampshire when she welled up; Newt has to beat four, all of whom have been trending upwards in the polls while he sinks. He needs more than a sweet, humanizing interlude to rally the base.

Maybe he needs … this:

Gingrich, speaking Wednesday during a conference call with conservative voters hosted by Ralph Reed’s Faith and Freedom Coalition, was asked by one of the attendees whether he would consider Palin as a running mate.

“She is certainly one of the people you would look at. I am a great admirer of hers and she was a remarkable reform governor of Alaska, she’s somebody who I think brings a great deal to the possibility of helping in government and that would be one of the possibilities,” Gingrich said, according to Right Wing Watch…

“There are also some very important Cabinet positions that she could fill very, very well,” Gingrich said. “I can’t imagine anybody who would do a better job of driving us to an energy solution than Gov. Palin, for example. Tell her that she would certainly be on the list of one of the people we would consider.”

She nearly rescued one big-government conservative’s failing candidacy three years ago. Second time’s the charm?

Your amazing stat of the day comes courtesy of CNN, which reports that nearly half of all political ads that ran in Iowa this month were attacks on Gingrich. Exit quotation: “Politics has become a really nasty, vicious, negative business and I think it’s disgusting and I think it’s dishonest.”

Update: Really? Tweaking the guy for getting choked up about his dead mother?

Here in Merrimack, Romney started talking about his parents and what they meant to him, and how they taught him to love America — and said, “No, no, I won’t cry.”

Update: Actually, without more context, it’s hard to tell if Romney was aiming that at Gingrich. Goofing on a guy for tearing up about his mom is in poor enough taste that I’d guess Romney would resist for strategic reasons even if he was tempted to do it. It may be that he’s been so busy on the trail today that he hasn’t even heard yet about what happened to Newt. Maybe he was just making a joke about how reminiscing about mom and dad is apt to make anyone a little misty. Maybe?

Update: To put it another way, why would a guy as famously, robotically on-message as Romney risk generating a sympathy vote for Gingrich at the last minute by goofing on him for crying? Every move he makes seems carefully plotted to maximize his advantage. He might be this nasty in private, but in public? Four days before the big vote? It would be a catastrophic, uncharacteristic lapse in his usual M.O.

Update: Turns out Romney didn’t bring up crying, a questioner did. And even when he replied, he was careful to say there’s nothing wrong with it:

The context of the Romney comment came, amid his discussion of his parents, with a voter saying, “Don’t cry.” Romney repeated it, saying, “No, no, I won’t cry,” and then followed up with, “There’s no harm in that.” Romney’s camp argues strenuously that he was not in any way tweaking Gingrich, and that he made that clear.

This guy’s not going to take needless risks.

Update: Here’s the clip.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Wow… I was skeptical but that video makes it plain how extremely overblown this has been.

luckedout26 on December 30, 2011 at 8:54 PM

Did Newt get paid for providing service?

It’s called capitalism. Stop your whining.

portlandon on December 30, 2011 at 6:26 PM
You have a weird idea of capitalism. Newt got paid with taxpayers’ money to praise and promote a socialist mortgage scheme and to help keep the regulators at bay. He then lied and told his ultra cynical fellow travelers that he was paid as a historian. The disastrous sub prime mortgage scheme he promoted nearly destroyed the banking system. No conservative with any clue as to how the economy functions would have supported Fannie Mae/Freddie Mac. They were a disaster waiting to happen.

Basilsbest on December 30, 2011 at 8:52 PM

Portlanduh has demonstrated with similar comments that he cant understand the difference between making money in the free market economy and making money by lobbying quasi-government agencies to destroy the housing market. But, Portlanduh is mentally challenged obviously.

Jailbreak on December 30, 2011 at 8:55 PM

Surprise, Politico lies again.

andy85719 on December 30, 2011 at 8:55 PM

BTW, This is not the first time Hot Air has fallen for nonsense like this recently. I distinctly recall commenting very recently that they need to be more “skeptical”. I wish I could remember the exact circumstances.
Buy Danish on December 30, 2011 at 8:45 PM

Probably one the more egregious examples of that I can recall was Ed’s HA entry entitled “Career politicians?”. Although it was shown to be totally baseless it was never corrected or updated.

Though it’s all likely only of importance if you equate political bloggers with journalists. (I mean with journalists abiding by real journalistic standards, not the Dan Rather variety.)

whatcat on December 30, 2011 at 8:56 PM

UPDATE: Found it! This time it was Jazz Shaw who was not skeptical of a b.s. story about the conference call choosing David Corn but not reaching out to conservatives.

Little ole me who is not a journalist:

I’m not convinced that this story is being correctly reported.
Related:In other words: Trust but verify.
Buy Danish on December 9, 2011 at 4:45 PM

Later:

UPDATE: The Romney campaign responded to Hot Air with the following

I knew I was right to be skeptical of this bull**** story! Gee, how many readers are never coming back to this thread, but will spread the word about what a RINO coward Romney’s staff are by refusing to let conservatives participate while reaching out to David Corn?
Buy Danish on December 9, 2011 at 6:27 PM

Thread winner?:

#headdesk

Andrew D on December 9, 2011 at 6:38 PM

Buy Danish on December 30, 2011 at 8:57 PM

Why bother when you’re already into the 3rd page of comments.

Texas Gal on December 30, 2011 at 8:58 PM

It was really nice today to hear him speak from the heart,” Cushman said afterward. Portraying her famous father—best known for his bare-knuckled tactics—as an old softie, she recalled how he hoisted her on his shoulders when she and her sister were young and they’d go on nature hikes.

“When he was speaker, he always told Kathy and I that no matter what’s happening, if you need me, call me on the phone. And he was always available to us.”

Schadenfreude on December 30, 2011 at 8:59 PM

Surprise, Politico lies again.

andy85719 on December 30, 2011 at 8:55 PM

This is why I trust Allahpundit when getting my political news. He smelled something fishy right away.

terryannonline on December 30, 2011 at 8:59 PM

Buy Danish on December 30, 2011 at 8:45 PM

Indeed. I personally thought HotAir hit a new low when Ed made a post about Mitt “flip flopping” on his joke $10,000 bet. Seriously, I cant tell if guys like Allah and Ed are really that lame or if they are smart but are just playing stupid because they know their average poster, from whom they survive with “hits”, are a very stupid collection of people.

Jailbreak on December 30, 2011 at 9:00 PM

luckedout26 on December 30, 2011 at 8:54 PM

Yup, no there there.

whatcat on December 30, 2011 at 9:00 PM

Who cares? I thought that this website was for promoting conservative issues and candidates. Neither of these two are that by any stretch, even though one has gladly taken credit for the work of conservatives like Morton Blackwell, Haley Barbour and Dick Armey.

Kermit on December 30, 2011 at 9:03 PM

Ah, what a difference a little context makes.

ookete on December 30, 2011 at 9:04 PM

Jailbreak on December 30, 2011 at 9:00 PM

Yeah, your right Jailbreak. Allah and Ed are playing it stupid to get hits from the rubes here. I’m sure they would prefer to have posters of your caliber.

KickandSwimMom on December 30, 2011 at 9:07 PM

All the morons here who attacked Romney should be ashamed. So-called true conservatives are so dumb, it’s not even funny.

Romney will win, and I hope it makes all of you mad.

Chudi on December 30, 2011 at 9:08 PM

KickandSwimMom on December 30, 2011 at 9:07 PM

Don’t sell yourself short KickandSwimMom, I’m sure you rank up there with the Jailbreak as one of “poster children” /sarcasm

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on December 30, 2011 at 9:09 PM

Some of y’all seem to forget that the original story isn’t about Romney at all, so maybe you should be happy with the outcome.

Cindy Munford on December 30, 2011 at 9:09 PM

Mistakes happen, I’m sure it was not intentional. Given Politico’s reliance on unnamed sources they should always be suspect.
Cindy Munford on December 30, 2011 at 8:53 PM

I know they do and I don’t mean to imply it was intentional. Indeed, I have called out Allah for not being skeptical of….hold on for this….negative stories about Sarah Palin. And believe me, I have defended Hot Air (and Allah) many times against ridiculous criticism from commenters who complain that he’s a RINO blah blah blah, and accuse him of all sorts of crimes against conservatives.

But this sort of thing (like Jazz’s story^^^) really irritates me because the stories made no sense at the outset. David Corn? Really? I think they, like many commenters, are perhaps a bit too prone to fall for this stuff because because it fits preconceived notions about Mitt being a phony jerk, or something.

Buy Danish on December 30, 2011 at 9:09 PM

Kermit on December 30, 2011 at 9:03 PM

Dick Armey, you mean the guy who started the Tea Party?

Cindy Munford on December 30, 2011 at 9:10 PM

When Romney wept, if you believe him – Meet the Press, when blacks were allowed into the Mormon church.

I can remember when, when I heard about the change being made. I was driving home from, I think, it was law school, but I was driving home, going through the Fresh Pond rotary in Cambridge, Massachusetts. I heard it on the radio, and I pulled over and, and literally wept.

Schadenfreude on December 30, 2011 at 9:11 PM

Buy Danish on December 30, 2011 at 9:09 PM

As I noted above, look at it this way, originally this was a mildly sympathetic story about Newt and now it is a huge story about a wronged Romney, sounds like a decent trade to me.

Cindy Munford on December 30, 2011 at 9:12 PM

I didn’t know Newt Gingrich’s Mom was an Army wife for 27 years. Mitt Romney sounds like he misses his parents too. I don’t see any thing wrong with the candidates talking about their parents why is this such a big deal?

Dr Evil on December 30, 2011 at 9:13 PM

Don’t need Newt to cry…Bonehead Boehner can do it for him.

KOOLAID2 on December 30, 2011 at 9:13 PM

This is serious journalistic malpractice by Politico. Watching that video I can’t see how anyone could report it as Romney mocking Newt. If there is anything good about this incident it is that Romney has a excellent rapid response team, which he’s going to need if he becomes the nominee.

johnt on December 30, 2011 at 8:50 PM

This is what i always say about Hotair. MSM hitjobs on Romney are expressed out immediately, with clarifications coming hours later, when the original impression has settled in the minds of the Romney haters. If this was another person, there would have been more context added in the initial post.

Chudi on December 30, 2011 at 9:15 PM

Dr Evil on December 30, 2011 at 9:13 PM

It’s not a big deal. Politico is just trying to make something out of nothing.

terryannonline on December 30, 2011 at 9:15 PM

Romney will win, and I hope it makes all of you mad.

Chudi on December 30, 2011 at 9:08 PM

Jailbreak on December 30, 2011 at 9:19 PM

Chudi on December 30, 2011 at 9:15 PM

You should sue or demand your money back.

Cindy Munford on December 30, 2011 at 9:20 PM

The thread and the story is still about a guy crying about something related to his dead, formerly very ill, mom, when directly prompted by a trusted guy, with moms in the audience.

Schadenfreude on December 30, 2011 at 9:20 PM

Romney will win, and I hope it makes all of you mad.

Chudi on December 30, 2011 at 9:08 PM

He’ll win the primary, then lose to Obama. That should really make many mad. Alas, 4-more, because it’s self-inflicted.

Schadenfreude on December 30, 2011 at 9:21 PM

Funny how some of you shun HA and AP when he was cautious all along.

Schadenfreude on December 30, 2011 at 9:22 PM

Funny how some of you shun HA and AP when he was cautious all along.

Schadenfreude on December 30, 2011 at 9:22 PM

Being cautious would mean not posting it, until it was confirmed. Romney hitjobs are always posted without research, and this has been happening for a long time, and I have been saying the same thing for a long time.

Chudi on December 30, 2011 at 9:27 PM

Politicians crying ::rollseyes::

rubberneck on December 30, 2011 at 9:30 PM

Romney will win, and I hope it makes all of you mad.

Chudi on December 30, 2011 at 9:08 PM

He will not win the general. I’m not afraid of 4 more years of O.

It would suck, but the country will survive. There will be enough gridlock to get us to 2016 for when Jindal or Walker runs.

Mitt is our ‘going through the motions’ candidate designated to lose to Obama and get the Dems to over-focus on O’s re-election while we take the Senate and pad our lead in the House, along with taking local and state elections.

He’ll be the perfect decoy.

KirknBurker on December 30, 2011 at 9:32 PM

crygate. Let’s see newt is floating palin today and blubbering. What a pathetic pandering whiner.

rubberneck on December 30, 2011 at 9:33 PM

Where is our resident tears taster?

Cindy Munford on December 30, 2011 at 9:33 PM

Chudi on December 30, 2011 at 9:27 PM

Chudi,

This is simply practice to get Mittens ready for the general election.

Allahpundit is doing a great job preparing him…because…he cares.

KirknBurker on December 30, 2011 at 9:34 PM

Cindy Munford on December 30, 2011 at 9:12 PM

We’ll see. Meanwhile, I have no desire to diminish Newt in this particular instance. So it’s really a lose lose situation.

Buy Danish on December 30, 2011 at 9:35 PM

Where is our resident tears taster?

Cindy Munford on December 30, 2011 at 9:33 PM

Hopefully he drown in them… that guy is creepy. He can stay gone.

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on December 30, 2011 at 9:36 PM

He will not win the general. I’m not afraid of 4 more years of O.

He’ll be the perfect decoy.

KirknBurker on December 30, 2011 at 9:32 PM

So I guess Newt is the one who will win the general? You people are really funny…

Chudi on December 30, 2011 at 9:37 PM

Schadenfreude on December 30, 2011 at 9:21 PM

Who could beat Obama? Palin? Who?

Buy Danish on December 30, 2011 at 9:37 PM

Mittens: “All this talk of crying….and nobody cries for the man who can’t cry. (sob, sniffle). Rove never told me it would be like this.”

KirknBurker on December 30, 2011 at 9:37 PM

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on December 30, 2011 at 9:36 PM

Fingers crossed!!!!

Cindy Munford on December 30, 2011 at 9:40 PM

Chudi on December 30, 2011 at 9:37 PM

I’m not sure any of them can.

But, it would be nice if we were not represented by a progressive.

KirknBurker on December 30, 2011 at 9:41 PM

Chudi on December 30, 2011 at 9:15 PM

Funny how you NEVER complained when HotAir did the exact same thing to Palin, day after day…

fossten on December 30, 2011 at 9:42 PM

fossten on December 30, 2011 at 9:42 PM

That’s completely different.

Cindy Munford on December 30, 2011 at 9:46 PM

No, man, it’s Santorum. Haven’t you read? He’s up to 15-16% in Iowa, a real surge.

Mr. Arkadin on December 30, 2011 at 9:47 PM

Does he really think Sarah would make a better Secretary of Energy than Bobby Jindal? Really?

Newt’s also talked about Rubio and Allen West as VP, and discussed how John Bolton’s his first choice as SecState

Those folks are on everyone’s short list.

joncoltonis on December 30, 2011 at 5:21 PM

Neither Jindal nor Palin are qualified to be Energy Secretary. It has virtually nothing to do with gas or oil exploration or production and is best suited for somebody with a background in nuclear physics or nuclear engineering, as the only vital functions the Energy Department has are nuclear regulation and nuclear fuel management. They rest of it is an inconsequential waste of money and should be eliminated. And that’s not a knock on either of them, it’s just a fact. Interior would be a better fit for either of them. HHS would probably be the best fit for Jindal.

RE Palin running for VP again, I think she probably learned her lesson in ’08 when McCain and company destroyed her political career. Chief of Staff would probably be her best bet. No campaigning and no viscous confirmation hearings where she’d face unprecedented partisan hackery from Dems and RINOs alike.

Walter Sobchak on December 30, 2011 at 9:48 PM

Politico, you’re horrible.

Btw, folks. That’s why you always wait for the audio/video.

nicktjacob on December 30, 2011 at 9:48 PM

Mr. Arkadin on December 30, 2011 at 9:47 PM

I don’t think he can win the general, but I’m all for Santorum to win in Iowa.

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on December 30, 2011 at 9:48 PM

I am going to laugh my azz off if Ron Paul wins Iowa. Oh, the irony!!!

Cindy Munford on December 30, 2011 at 9:53 PM

I am going to laugh my azz off if Ron Paul wins Iowa. Oh, the irony!!!

Cindy Munford on December 30, 2011 at 9:53 PM

I can’t stand the PaulBots as it is, they’ll be even more insufferable if he wins in Iowa. I’m just hoping he takes fourth to shut them up.

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on December 30, 2011 at 9:59 PM

Disagree with him on some of his past policies, but Romney is a classy guy.

I think that’s one of the reasons I like him as a candidate.

Politics is a filthy business, but guys like Romney keep it from getting much worse than it needs to be.

jaime on December 30, 2011 at 10:02 PM

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on December 30, 2011 at 9:59 PM

You have to admit that the full blown attacks on Newt that were meant to aid Romney but instead propel Paul to the front is hysterical!!!!!!

Cindy Munford on December 30, 2011 at 10:05 PM

Disagree with him on some of his past policies, but Romney is a classy guy.

I think that’s one of the reasons I like him as a candidate.

jaime on December 30, 2011 at 10:02 PM

Translation: Romney, like McCain and Dole before him, will lose graciously.

Walter Sobchak on December 30, 2011 at 10:06 PM

Romney won’t even sob about his parents for political gain! HAH! What a … what a (?) .. what a flip-flopper! yes! He MUST be a flip-flopper, because he’s cried about them before, but all of a sudden he’s not crying about them now? Clearly this man is a liar and a devil and we should verbally crucify him every chance we get! TAKE IT AWAY, ED!

Crefonso on December 30, 2011 at 10:07 PM

I don’t think he can win the general, but I’m all for Santorum to win in Iowa.

He won’t. But Romney very well may, despite not participating in the Straw Poll or giving the state much attention until recently. Of course, if the guy conservatives love to hate, because he is a stealth Lib, actually wins one of the most conservative states in the Union, he won’t stand a chance in the general against a guy whose approval ratings are in the low 40′s.

Mr. Arkadin on December 30, 2011 at 10:14 PM

Translation: Romney, like McCain and Dole before him, will lose graciously.

Walter Sobchak on December 30, 2011 at 10:06 PM

I suppose we’ll have to wait for the results of the election to be able to tell one way or the other, no?

Usually, first the primaries, then the election, then the recriminations (if required). Unless it makes more sense to you to do it in a different order.

jaime on December 30, 2011 at 10:19 PM

Forgive me for cutting and pasting the entire Politico story. I don’t want anything to be taken out of context. Please note what I bolded at the end:

POLITICO’s Emily Schultheis, on the trail with Mitt Romney in New Hampshire, reports that the frontrunner made a not-so-veiled reference to Newt Gingrich’s teary performance earlier in the day in Iowa, in response to a questioner raising “crying:”

The crowd, Emily says, met the remark with laughter.

UPDATE: Here is the full transcript of what happened. Romney followed up that he cries himself, and that there is no harm in it.

Mitt Romney: “My mom and dad were extraordinary people. They left both left this life and moved on.”

Audience Member: “Don’t cry.”

Mitt Romney: “I won’t cry. No, No, I won’t. But I do. I do. Nothing to be ashamed of in that regard.”

Romney’s camp is arguing, strenuously, that Romney was not taking a shot at Gingrich and made that clear with his second comment. At the same time, reasonable observers could make the point that he didn’t need to repeat the audience member’s “don’t cry” line, either.

* The headline on this post has been changed

Regarding what I bolded above, Wtf is Politico talking about?! I welcome any and all explanations.

Also note that Emily Schultheis is a new, new hire at Politico, having been with the Weekly Standard as “assistant editor” as recently as December 15th. She sure does seem intent on making a splash.

Buy Danish on December 30, 2011 at 10:20 PM

Too bad Politico didn’t have any there. All they had was Emily Schultheis.

jaime on December 30, 2011 at 10:27 PM

Buy Danish on December 30, 2011 at 10:20 PM

If you watched the video and if you know Politico, then no explanation is needed.

whatcat on December 30, 2011 at 10:27 PM

Buy Danish on December 30, 2011 at 10:20 PM

It’s stupid, next they’ll find an unnamed source that will say the audience member was a plant. Politico can’t self destruct fast enough.

Cindy Munford on December 30, 2011 at 10:29 PM

A typical night at Hot Air

Romney says, in response to someone in the audience saying: “don’t cry” as he begins to talk about his parents.

I won’t cry. But I do, I do. I have nothing to be ashamed of in that regard.

AP (whoever he is) gives Romney the benefit of the doubt on the question of whether Romney is mocking Gingrich, not on the basis of Romney’s basic decency but on the basis that he’s too smart to take such a risk as to mock Gingrich over a normal human emotion.

There then follows the usual idiocies from Romney-hating idiot gun jumpers led by portlandon claiming “well isn’t this just typical of Romney to mock Gingrich, blah, blah, blah”.

It is a conservative trait not to jump to conclusions. Not one of you anti-Romneyites is a conservative. Romney is a decent man. One cannot say the same about any of you.

Basilsbest on December 30, 2011 at 10:33 PM

Basilsbest on December 30, 2011 at 10:33 PM

And now we are all suitably chastened. /

Cindy Munford on December 30, 2011 at 10:36 PM

Actually, without more context, it’s really easy to tell he wasn’t aiming that at Gingrich. I know you hate the guy, but… and I know this is crazy lamestream media stuff… maybe you could take a few seconds to explore the actual facts before making a judgement.

RightOFLeft on December 30, 2011 at 10:38 PM

I am going to laugh my azz off if Ron Paul wins Iowa. Oh, the irony!!!Cindy Munford on December 30, 2011 at 9:53 PM

Laugh away. You have to get your jollies some way as your man’s treacheries catch up with him. In the long run it won’t make the slightest difference whether Paul finishes 1st, 2nd or 3rd in Iowa. What’s important for the future of the nation is that your man, Freddie Mac Gingrich, finish 4th or 5th.

Basilsbest on December 30, 2011 at 10:41 PM

Dr Evil on December 30, 2011 at 9:13 PM

It’s not a big deal. Politico is just trying to make something out of nothing.

terryannonline on December 30, 2011 at 9:15 PM

Ah, Pollutico that explains the tempest in the tea pot.

Dr Evil on December 30, 2011 at 10:42 PM

Basilsbest on December 30, 2011 at 10:41 PM

At least I don’t lose my mind when everyone doesn’t kiss my candidate’s ass. Look, your guy is going to get the nomination and I’m going to vote for him. I don’t have to like it and you don’t need to be a pompus blowhard.

Cindy Munford on December 30, 2011 at 10:45 PM

Dr Evil on December 30, 2011 at 10:42 PM

I don’t think you understand. Allah needs to be deported or at least fired.

Cindy Munford on December 30, 2011 at 10:46 PM

Dr Evil on December 30, 2011 at 10:42 PM

I don’t think you understand. Allah needs to be deported or at least fired.

Cindy Munford on December 30, 2011 at 10:46 PM

The Romney camp better gird their loins this is nothing compared to what Team Obama will do to them in the General.

Romney was just saying the other night in an interview, I think with Hannity? Romney said, he’s not looking forward to the negative campaign that’s going to be run against the republican nominee. It’s going to be scorched earth. Obama has no positive record to run on….this looks like an amateur at Politico trying to stir the pot.

Dr Evil on December 30, 2011 at 10:59 PM

Dr Evil on December 30, 2011 at 10:59 PM

Cindy Munford on December 30, 2011 at 11:04 PM

Basilsbest on December 30, 2011 at 10:41 PM

Cindy Munford on December 30, 2011 at 10:45 PM

Since you acknowledge the obvious Ms Munford, it’s time to get behind the nominee. And by definition, someone who is right is not a blowhard, pompous or otherwise. I admit I’m strident, but you it’s necessary to provide some balance on this site to the vile knee jerk carping at Romney which is too lacking in reason to warrant being described as criticism. Ninety percent of it is pure bile.

Basilsbest on December 30, 2011 at 11:11 PM

Dr Evil on December 30, 2011 at 10:59 PM

Cindy Munford on December 30, 2011 at 11:04 PM

Romney is trying to appeal to the widest audience he can, he’s trying to appear like the reasonable candidate. There is nothing reasonable about the opposition, and they aren’t going to be playing by any rules.

Dr Evil on December 30, 2011 at 11:13 PM

Basilsbest on December 30, 2011 at 11:11 PM

And it’s time for you guys to toughen up because you ain’t seen nothing yet. Do you think Obama cares about the truth? I’m not ready to support Romney yet, and the most he can count on is my vote in the general.

Cindy Munford on December 30, 2011 at 11:16 PM

How many times will Romney say he’s sorry to Obama and expect to win? This strategy to not go after Obama is the stupidest thing I’ve ever heard. They should go after him and the press that promoted such a disaster for the country.Cindy Munford on December 30, 2011 at 11:04 PM

The answer is zero. This is just another stupid attack on Romney manufactured out of whole cloth. Romney will fight as hard as necessary. He will not be as dismissive of Obama as those of us who are thinking emotionally would like but he will eviscerate Obama’s economic record and win support from Independents and even conservative Democrats. Those who want to see Obama humiliated will have to wait for comics and pundits such as Limbaugh to do that. Obama’s defeat and removal from office will be enough humiliation for me. And I am sure Obama and the left will be beside themselves when they lose power and its perks.

Basilsbest on December 30, 2011 at 11:24 PM

A typical night at Hot Air

I won’t cry. But I do, I do. I have nothing to be ashamed of in that regard.

Basilsbest on December 30, 2011 at 10:33 PM

Dear Basilsbest,

My statement regarding Romney making fun of Newt was based on the first update. Only after the further updates where Allahpundit posted more of the quote:

Update: Really? Tweaking the guy for getting choked up about his dead mother?

and finally the video did I see that my assessment that Romney was a mean jerk was wrong.

I apologize to Mitt, as he was not making fun of Newt’s becoming emotional while talking about his dead mother.

portlandon on December 30, 2011 at 11:34 PM

Basilsbest on December 30, 2011 at 11:11 PM

Cindy Munford on December 30, 2011 at 11:16 PM

Faced with the prospect of Obama or Romney. I’ve no doubt you’ll come to your senses and do what you can to save the nation.

I can’t say the same for punchenko, sarrukin, portlandon, a stoner, albert and all the other knee jerkers who say they will either stay home or vote for Obama. (I’m not sorry to have left out so many of you other would-be worthies. I give discredit where it’s due.)

Basilsbest on December 30, 2011 at 11:35 PM

Really, Mittens? You’re taking a cheap shot at Gingrich because he shed a few tears when asked about his mother?

What a POS you are.

Conservchik on December 30, 2011 at 7:38 PM

“True conservatives” like Conservchik = No prudence, no caution, no due diligence, impulsive, not an ounce of conservatism.

Sums up the consecutive farce of Bachmann, Perry, Cain and Gingrich pretty well too.

haner on December 30, 2011 at 11:36 PM

Basilsbest on December 30, 2011 at 11:35 PM

Not voting is an option, Basilsbest.

Some of us are not limiting ourselves to voting for either Mitt or Obama. Our votes are OURS to do what we want with. I know it kills you that my vote is equal to yours, but you’ll just have to get over it.

portlandon on December 30, 2011 at 11:42 PM

portlandon on December 30, 2011 at 11:34 PM

Good for you. I hope you’ve learned something about yourself. The denigration of Romney on this site is embarrassing to me as a conservative. Now go one step further and say you will support the nominee.

Basilsbest on December 30, 2011 at 11:43 PM

haner on December 30, 2011 at 11:36 PM

No, it just means that he was in on the earlier part of the story before it was cleared up. If he hasn’t seen it yet (not everyone stays here for hours) I am sure he will see the updates later as they are in red on the front page, encouraging further looks. Why don’t you try to give people a break?

Cindy Munford on December 30, 2011 at 11:45 PM

I’m willing to give Newt the Hoot the benefit of the doubt and accept that crying session as memories of his mother, although I must admit that my first thought was someone just handed him this month;s bill for Calista’s latest romp through Tiffany’s.

At least he is putting some emotion in his appearances.

Perry could learn from him – ditch those stiff ads and start playing on the skills he learned as a Texas A&M Yell Boy. Do cheers during his Iowas TV ads – you know, with jumps, somersaults and all. He could even get some voters to form a pyramid with Rick on top yelling “YeeeeHaaawwww” or something!

Gotta go for the gold if he wants to surge and win this.

Horace on December 30, 2011 at 11:46 PM

haner on December 30, 2011 at 11:36 PM

“True Capitulaters” like haner = no vision, are extremely caution to the point of being stagnant, and surrender individual intellectualism in exchange for a false sense of belonging.

portlandon on December 30, 2011 at 11:47 PM

Hey! Did everyone hear about Mitt making fun of Newt?

Vince on December 30, 2011 at 11:48 PM

I know it kills you that my vote is equal to yours, but you’ll just have to get over it.portlandon on December 30, 2011 at 11:42 PM

Killed? You presume too much. I’m more amused than anything. Romney’s appeal to Independents will be so widespread I’m not concerned about him not having the votes of the relatively small number of people who don’t understand what’s at stake.

Basilsbest on December 30, 2011 at 11:49 PM

Basilsbest on December 30, 2011 at 11:43 PM

Yes. I have learned that I should not jump to conclusions, even when the story comes from a reputable source like Allahpundit.

Romney still has to win the nomination. And he does not have my support. If he does win the nomination, he has a long way to go to prove to me that will actually overturn ObamaCare, and govern fiscally responsibly.

Romney can say all he wants, but his record as Governor is abysmal in my eyes. As of right now, I will support anyone but Ron Paul or Romney for the nomination.

portlandon on December 30, 2011 at 11:52 PM

Wow. Romney has really gotten under the skin of some of you posters…some of the old timers are getting a little nasty!

BettyRuth on December 30, 2011 at 11:58 PM

Jailbreak on December 30, 2011 at 8:55 PM

I got a feeling that the top 20 threads will all be Palin-nut threads….reflective of the poor crowd that made up HotGas during most of 2011. Not too many college-educated folks until the recent open registrations.

Jailbreak on December 28, 2011 at 6:18 PM

That is rich coming from a loser who has spent YEARS obsessing on he next POTUS, namely Romney.

Jailbreak on December 28, 2011 at 6:23 PM

Jailbreak insults all HotAir posters as non educated, yet can’t speak/write words intelligently.

What does “obsessing on he next POTUS” mean, genius?

portlandon on December 31, 2011 at 12:04 AM

Vince on December 30, 2011 at 11:48 PM

Troublemaker!!!!

Cindy Munford on December 31, 2011 at 12:07 AM

Vince on December 30, 2011 at 11:48 PM

Troublemaker!!!!

Cindy Munford on December 31, 2011 at 12:07 AM

Troublemaker? Hardly. Since everyone now understands that Romney was once again unfairly maligned on this site, le mot juste is stupid.

Basilsbest on December 31, 2011 at 12:15 AM

Basilsbest on December 31, 2011 at 12:15 AM

He was just being silly, can you lighten up?

Cindy Munford on December 31, 2011 at 12:20 AM

He was just being silly, can you lighten up?
Cindy Munford on December 31, 2011 at 12:20 AM

Vince is always silly, especially when he’s serious. Ah yes, the smearing of Mitt Romney is such fun.

Basilsbest on December 31, 2011 at 12:33 AM

Basilsbest on December 31, 2011 at 12:33 AM

I fear for your sanity when Obama and Company start in on your hero. It’s going to be ugly.

Cindy Munford on December 31, 2011 at 12:39 AM

reputable source like Allahpundit

Something to think about Allah.

Some strive to be a part of the pack. Some strive to be the leader of the pack. A very few strive to be ahead of the pack. You have the talent to be one of the very few.

Texas Gal on December 31, 2011 at 12:57 AM

Basilsbest on December 31, 2011 at 12:33 AM

Cindy Munford on December 31, 2011 at 12:39 AM

Any nursing help you may send will be greatly appreciated but relax Cindy you have nothing to fear. The communications expertise of George Bush, the election of Obama, the palinization of Sarah, the adulation of Freddie Mac Gingrich, the acceptance of Ron Paul as something other than a nut and coming here daily to read the vile idiotic anti-Romney rants of self described conservatives hasn’t yet driven me crazy, so the General Election sure won’t.

In fact, I look forward to the nomination of a man with the education, intelligence and skills to make mince meat of Obama.

The true engine of economic growth will always be companies like Solyndra.

By the time they go to the polls next November voters will know Obama’s idiocies as well as they know The Pledge of Allegiance.

Basilsbest on December 31, 2011 at 12:58 AM

What does “obsessing on he next POTUS” mean, genius?

portlandon on December 31, 2011 at 12:04 AM

It means obsessing about the next president of the United States, who will be a guy named Mitt Romney…the same guy you have been bagging on a regular basis like a little girl geek.

Seriously, every post from you has been one of the following:

1) Sarah Palin is great and she will win the 2012 election and she will make this country wonderful again because she is so great.

2) Romney is a horrible, horrible flip-flopper and a jerk. Also, he is a Mormon and Joseph Smith and blah blah blah blah.

Thus, I think you are an idiot.

Jailbreak on December 31, 2011 at 1:14 AM

Chudi on December 30, 2011 at 9:27 PM

Wait, you think that this is a hit job?!?!?!?

Muuhahahahhahahahhahhhah!!!!!!

If all of Mitt’s supporters are this thin skinned, its going to be a loonnnnggg primary for ya. He hasn’t been hit with nuthin’ yet. Just wait and see what the Left and the media whip him with if he gets the nomination.

Snorkdoodle Whizbang on December 31, 2011 at 1:18 AM

Wait, you think that this is a hit job?!?!?!?

Muuhahahahhahahahhahhhah!!!!!!

Snorkdoodle Whizbang on December 31, 2011 at 1:18 AM

Your comment is illogical. The fact that there will be plenty of hit jobs in The General does not belie the fact that this was a hit job. Mitt supporters are not thin skinned. We are resolute. We will stand up to hit jobs whatever their source. Get used to it.

Basilsbest on December 31, 2011 at 1:26 AM

Basilsbest on December 31, 2011 at 1:26 AM

No… your response is illogical. Compared to what all of the other candidates have been subjected to, your candidate of choice has been untouched. My premise stands. If you are going to get a case of the vapors over something like this, you’re in for a long, painful primary. Romney may just get his hair mussed or ruin his manicure.

Oh, and champ… I wouldn’t count on Romney being around for the general. Arrogance doesn’t play well – in either a candidate or his supporters. I know it’s terribly, terribly inconvenient… but as of yet there hasn’t been a single vote cast for anyone.

Snorkdoodle Whizbang on December 31, 2011 at 1:46 AM

Won’t work Newt. And the part about Palin just finished your campaign. I like Newt..he was a fine speaker. But, his personal baggage and political baggage throughout the years destroys his credibility.

Redford on December 30, 2011 at 6:59 PM

One positive comment about Palin finishes a campaign?

That says a lot more about you than it does anyone else.

There Goes The Neighborhood on December 31, 2011 at 2:12 AM

Thanks for that update Allah. Now, I feel I can just freely let out my inner Mitt hate. :) I’ve been told by our new friends on HotAir that I don’t like him because he’s wealthy. I’m so grateful that we have finally gotten people on this site who are so full of wisdom. Thank the Lord for open registration!!

KickandSwimMom on December 30, 2011 at 8:13 PM

Your comments about Mitt’s wealth are truly embarrassing. You seem rather jealous of his success. What’s your problem? Maybe you would be more comfortable at an Occupy Wall Street rally where you will be around others like yourself who love to vilify rich people.

bluegill on December 30, 2011 at 8:16 PM

Speak of the devil.

Except I think the devil gets sarcasm.

There Goes The Neighborhood on December 31, 2011 at 2:21 AM