Video: Newt gets emotional; Update: “I won’t cry,” says Romney; Update: More context; Update: Video added

posted at 5:00 pm on December 30, 2011 by Allahpundit

Touching and obviously heartfelt, yet naturally processed by politicos as a potential gamechanging “Hillary moment” for Gingrich on the eve of a big vote. I doubt it’ll change much. Hillary had to beat one guy in New Hampshire when she welled up; Newt has to beat four, all of whom have been trending upwards in the polls while he sinks. He needs more than a sweet, humanizing interlude to rally the base.

Maybe he needs … this:

Gingrich, speaking Wednesday during a conference call with conservative voters hosted by Ralph Reed’s Faith and Freedom Coalition, was asked by one of the attendees whether he would consider Palin as a running mate.

“She is certainly one of the people you would look at. I am a great admirer of hers and she was a remarkable reform governor of Alaska, she’s somebody who I think brings a great deal to the possibility of helping in government and that would be one of the possibilities,” Gingrich said, according to Right Wing Watch…

“There are also some very important Cabinet positions that she could fill very, very well,” Gingrich said. “I can’t imagine anybody who would do a better job of driving us to an energy solution than Gov. Palin, for example. Tell her that she would certainly be on the list of one of the people we would consider.”

She nearly rescued one big-government conservative’s failing candidacy three years ago. Second time’s the charm?

Your amazing stat of the day comes courtesy of CNN, which reports that nearly half of all political ads that ran in Iowa this month were attacks on Gingrich. Exit quotation: “Politics has become a really nasty, vicious, negative business and I think it’s disgusting and I think it’s dishonest.”

Update: Really? Tweaking the guy for getting choked up about his dead mother?

Here in Merrimack, Romney started talking about his parents and what they meant to him, and how they taught him to love America — and said, “No, no, I won’t cry.”

Update: Actually, without more context, it’s hard to tell if Romney was aiming that at Gingrich. Goofing on a guy for tearing up about his mom is in poor enough taste that I’d guess Romney would resist for strategic reasons even if he was tempted to do it. It may be that he’s been so busy on the trail today that he hasn’t even heard yet about what happened to Newt. Maybe he was just making a joke about how reminiscing about mom and dad is apt to make anyone a little misty. Maybe?

Update: To put it another way, why would a guy as famously, robotically on-message as Romney risk generating a sympathy vote for Gingrich at the last minute by goofing on him for crying? Every move he makes seems carefully plotted to maximize his advantage. He might be this nasty in private, but in public? Four days before the big vote? It would be a catastrophic, uncharacteristic lapse in his usual M.O.

Update: Turns out Romney didn’t bring up crying, a questioner did. And even when he replied, he was careful to say there’s nothing wrong with it:

This guy’s not going to take needless risks.

Update: Here’s the clip.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Mitt Romney = republican establishment ho

Conservchik on December 30, 2011 at 7:45 PM

Is Mitt capable of crying?

conservative pilgrim on December 30, 2011 at 7:42 PM

Yep, after reprogramming.

Valkyriepundit on December 30, 2011 at 7:45 PM

Really? Tweaking the guy for getting choked up about his dead mother?

That wasn’t a tweak.
He just said he wasn’t gonna cry, & he knew it would draw laughs.

Newt himself could & should use that line, “I’m not gonna cry,” & get laughs.

itsnotaboutme on December 30, 2011 at 7:46 PM

Cindy Munford on December 30, 2011 at 7:39 PM

You know what? He does seem to love her. I would be a huge liar to say otherwise. UGH!

In that case, I refuse to hear anymore of your practical little nuggets. Leave me to my hardline, narrow-minded, judgments dammit!

Capitalist Hog on December 30, 2011 at 7:46 PM

I can’t believe you people swallow this MSM swill about Romney.

I pretty much a Newt guy, but this Politico piece is bull shit.

AP, you are setting new lows by putting that bilge here.

mockmook on December 30, 2011 at 7:47 PM

Update: Really? Tweaking the guy for getting choked up about his dead mother?

Why not? There are plenty of people that don’t get choked up and misty, myself included, talking about their dead mother. They’re called men.

lowandslow on December 30, 2011 at 7:47 PM

There is precedent for avoiding becoming a punchline, e.g.
The 11 Funniest Pictures of John Boehner Crying

whatcat on December 30, 2011 at 7:35 PM

There is an insurmountable difference between Boehner crying over everything and some one tearing up at the memory of a dead mother. It seems as if there is no ability to make any kind of distinction in our political culture.

RonDelDon on December 30, 2011 at 7:48 PM

Is Mitt capable of crying?

conservative pilgrim on December 30, 2011 at 7:42 PM

Yep, after reprogramming.

Valkyriepundit on December 30, 2011 at 7:45 PM

LOL!

RonDelDon on December 30, 2011 at 7:50 PM

conservative pilgrim on December 30, 2011 at 7:42 PM

Depends on polls. This schmuck can say anything to get elected.

antisocial on December 30, 2011 at 7:50 PM

I hope allahpunit is right. This is just mean.

terryannonline on December 30, 2011 at 7:50 PM

Update: Really? Tweaking the guy for getting choked up about his dead mother?

Open mouth; insert foot again eh Mitt? Keep it up.

Unbelievable.

IndeCon on December 30, 2011 at 7:50 PM

lowandslow on December 30, 2011 at 7:47 PM

And this is supposed to be a valid point or argument? Check this out. There are plenty of people that get choked up and misty talking about their dead loved ones. They’re called men, women, and children. See how easy that is?

RonDelDon on December 30, 2011 at 7:51 PM

There is not a chance that Mitt did not know of Newt’s “crying” incident. What a jerk – Mitt, that is.

northeastgirl on December 30, 2011 at 7:52 PM

Leave me to my hardline, narrow-minded, judgments dammit!

Capitalist Hog on December 30, 2011 at 7:46 PM

I am sure you are none of those things, no one is the same nor should they feel bad about it. You would think that someone who has been married almost 37 years would be hardline but for lots of reasons, I’m not.

Cindy Munford on December 30, 2011 at 7:52 PM

itsnotaboutme on December 30, 2011 at 7:41 PM

Your precious Mittens stepped in it…

… enjoy the smell.

Seven Percent Solution on December 30, 2011 at 7:53 PM

Clinton gets BJ’s in the Oval Office and he’s still seen as a major icon within the lefty machine. Newt has a few marriages and he’s killed by the GOP establishment. So much for taking care of our own.

mooseygoosey on December 30, 2011 at 7:53 PM

I can’t imagine Romney meant this as a cut on Newt. That would be a truly stupid thing to do. I don’t care for Romney as a candidate, but I just can’t see him making a cut like that.

JellyToast on December 30, 2011 at 7:53 PM

Newt shedding a little tear is nothing compared to the crying conwervatives will all be doing if Willard is elected.

they lie on December 30, 2011 at 7:53 PM

WTF? Romney shows even less class than I thought possible.

He really is a petty, mean jerk. Isn’t he?

portlandon on December 30, 2011 at 7:27 PM

And a chickens**t also.
Chickens**t Mitt hires his hit jobs and pretends to be above the fray while he dodges tough debates, interviews and hides in the weeds on every single issue of the day such that he endorses candidates after they have won.
Makes Obamas voting present look like bravery!

ConcealedKerry on December 30, 2011 at 7:55 PM

Your precious Mittens stepped in it…

… enjoy the smell.

Seven Percent Solution on December 30, 2011 at 7:53 PM

I wish he hadn’t done that. It actually makes Newt look like the bigger man. Next news cycle please. This one is not going to go as I would have hoped.

Hopefully Obama Holder releases another statement soon. Deflection needed.

Capitalist Hog on December 30, 2011 at 7:57 PM

lowandslow on December 30, 2011 at 7:47 PM

Romney? A man? Old-school terminology he’s a fop, a dandy, popinjay. Is that what you call a man in the Peoples Republic Of Massachusetts? He reminds me too much of the studly Obama.

sharrukin on December 30, 2011 at 8:00 PM

Cindy Munford on December 30, 2011 at 7:52 PM

People like you should be hired to teach the rest of us how to do it right.

Mr Cindy is a lucky man. But you both know that.

Capitalist Hog on December 30, 2011 at 8:00 PM

mockmook on December 30, 2011 at 7:47 PM

Don’t worry, I’m sure the misunderstanding was of short duration and small notice.

Cindy Munford on December 30, 2011 at 8:00 PM

There is precedent for avoiding becoming a punchline, e.g.
The 11 Funniest Pictures of John Boehner Crying
whatcat on December 30, 2011 at 7:35 PM

RonDelDon on December 30, 2011 at 7:48 PM

That’s what I’m getting at – we can all come with isolated lines and incidents that have snowballed into big long-lived memes. For example, Dan Quayle and the potato.

Also, one of the raps on Newt is that he’s “erratic” (or like terms). It might be wise starve that meme. For some background consideration -
Newt Gingrich’s Bipolar Mother Kit Gingrich and His Difficult Childhood

whatcat on December 30, 2011 at 8:00 PM

RonDelDon on December 30, 2011 at 7:51 PM

No it’s not that easy. With every acceptance of liberalism, displaying your emotions on your sleeve being one of them, we weaken ourselves as a society. Newt, Boehner, Bush and the rest of the so called conservative leadership that engage in it should be mocked. That crap we’ve been slowly taught to accept is staggering.

lowandslow on December 30, 2011 at 8:01 PM

This says it all and we’ll be hearing it until we’re numb:

athenadelphi on December 30, 2011 at 8:01 PM

Newt has run the most positive campaign of all the candidates, and he’s sadly paid a price for it.

The establishment faction aka National Review/Drudge/Coulter et al has attacked him just as viciously as the Democrats did during the 1995 budget battle. You know what happened after that battle. Four balanced budgets in a row, and welfare reform. Solid conservative accomplishments of the Federal government led by Newt Gingrich.

Newt is a brilliant, sincere, and flawed (as we all are) human being.

I’ve got a Gingrich bumper sticker on my car (the only one I’ve seen in Dallas). So long as he remains in this race, I’ll keep it there proudly.

Reggie1971 on December 30, 2011 at 7:32 PM

Say it again! And again! And again!

Newt is a fiscal conservative. He has strong national defense chops and has an abiding respect for our service people.

The Commander of Black Hawk Down has endorsed Newt. So have Art Laffer, Thomas Sowell, and J. C. Watts.

onlineanalyst on December 30, 2011 at 8:02 PM

Have you no shame Mr. Romney?

Have You No Shame ?

Spirit Crusher on December 30, 2011 at 8:03 PM

Mitt Romney tries too hard.
I never trust people who try too hard.

carbon_footprint on December 30, 2011 at 8:03 PM

I’m all for Mitthead to win. Why? I hate not knowing the future. With Mitthead in there as the GOP standard bearer I KNOW its going to be Obama. Whew. Same ol’ same ol’ and its still 2011. I know I’m a pessimist. But I like to be a realist.

athenadelphi on December 30, 2011 at 8:04 PM

I honestly can’t imagine mittens doing this purposefully – as much as I’d like to rip him if he did, I don’t see it…..waiting for context.

Tim_CA on December 30, 2011 at 8:04 PM

Mitt Romney tries too hard.
I never trust people who try too hard.

carbon_footprint on December 30, 2011 at 8:03 PM

That, and his constant changing of his views per political expediency.

carbon_footprint on December 30, 2011 at 8:04 PM

I pretty much a Newt guy, but this Politico piece is bull shit.

AP, you are setting new lows by putting that bilge here.

mockmook on December 30, 2011 at 7:47 PM

Thanks for your input. FYI: You and I (per my second update) appear to be the only people in the comments here or on Twitter who think Romney *wasn’t* taking a dig at Gingrich. So, per the bilge-o-meter, we’re being heavily, heavily outvoted.

Allahpundit on December 30, 2011 at 8:05 PM

Willard Romney is a fish out of water, and he is constantly trying to be something that he is not. Namely, a man with principles, integrity and a healthy dose of humility. Instead we are subjected to a steady diet of craven hubris. Willard, your campaign is a bridge too far this election cycle. A bridge too far.

Spirit Crusher on December 30, 2011 at 8:06 PM

Really? Tweaking the guy for getting choked up about his dead mother?

Bad move, Mitt, makes you look like the plastic, Ken doll, who will say or do anything to win, that everyone thinks you are.

Gen. Norman Schwarzkopf once said, “I don’t trust a man who doesn’t cry.”

Green eyed Lady on December 30, 2011 at 8:07 PM

From Twitter according to people that were there Romney was responding to someone in the crowd who yelled out “Cry!”.

johnt on December 30, 2011 at 8:07 PM

I would rather have a man as President who can shed a tear in remembrance of the Mother he loved than Romney, who believes children are like “yields” and don’t show any value until they are 20 years of age!

God, some of the comments here are so pathetic and shameful.

Sparky5253 on December 30, 2011 at 8:07 PM

Only total idiots would take that as Romney poking at Newt.

You really have to have a chip on your shoulder and angry jealousy regarding the greatness and goodness of Mitt Romney to buy this swill.

Great work Allah and HotGas. You never surprise me anymore.

Jailbreak on December 30, 2011 at 8:08 PM

God, some of the comments here are so pathetic and shameful.

Sparky5253 on December 30, 2011 at 8:07 PM

If you are suggesting that Romney doesnt love his children…then you should stick to the burger and fries.

Jailbreak on December 30, 2011 at 8:08 PM

Allahpundit on December 30, 2011 at 8:05 PM

I guess we need to see the video. It is possible that in context it wasn’t a dig at Newt but what a coincidence if wasn’t.

terryannonline on December 30, 2011 at 8:09 PM

Allahpundit on December 30, 2011 at 8:05 PM

Glad to see you updating this thread and realizing what a joke Politico can be. Of course, like many websites it’s about page views, not correct content.

luckedout26 on December 30, 2011 at 8:09 PM

Heh. You’re kidding, right? Appears to be a hard left hook to the kidney, with shoulder behind it and nice hip rotation.
Mitt is feeling his oats, now,..the internal polling must be what’s making him frisky.

a capella on December 30, 2011 at 8:09 PM

You wanna see Willard cry, then wait until the voters deny him the nomination.

Spirit Crusher on December 30, 2011 at 8:11 PM

Kiss my a$$ Mitt you smug self serving a hole. I would say that about him no matter who I supported for president. What a total loser jerk wad.

jistincase on December 30, 2011 at 8:12 PM

Romney’s problem is that it’s totally believable that he jabbed Newt. Whether he actually did it or not, it doesn’t matter – we all know he’s capable of it.

beatcanvas on December 30, 2011 at 8:13 PM

You wanna see Willard cry, then wait until the voters deny him the nomination.

Spirit Crusher on December 30, 2011 at 8:11 PM

You call him Willard like it’s suppose to be an insult. Why?

luckedout26 on December 30, 2011 at 8:13 PM

Only total idiots would take that as Romney poking at Newt.

Great work Allah and HotGas. You never surprise me anymore.

Jailbreak on December 30, 2011 at 8:08 PM

I agree completely. This site and the commenters are becoming too predictable and somewhat embarrassing.

bluegill on December 30, 2011 at 8:13 PM

Allahpundit on December 30, 2011 at 8:05 PM

Thanks for that update Allah. Now, I feel I can just freely let out my inner Mitt hate. :) I’ve been told by our new friends on HotAir that I don’t like him because he’s wealthy. I’m so grateful that we have finally gotten people on this site who are so full of wisdom. Thank the Lord for open registration!!

KickandSwimMom on December 30, 2011 at 8:13 PM

Why is it so hard for folks to believe Mitt would do this?

The guy has been inserting “by name” attacks against Newt into his interviews and speeches for the last two weeks. He’s running millions in TV and direct mail ads the overwhelming majority of which are attacking Newt.

His campaign is obsessed with pile driving Gingrich (they’ve largely succeeded) because in the national polls, he’s their major competitor.

The logic behind the snark is this: there’s a significant gender gap in terms of how crying politicians are perceived. Most primary and caucus voters are men. Generally, men don’t like seeing other men cry short of getting an arm chopped off. By shoving in a knife now this could turn from a Hillary moment into a Muskie moment.

Robert_Paulson on December 30, 2011 at 8:14 PM

That ‘emotion’ is worn as a badge on their sleeves but it is not personal as is Newts, it’s emotion is for the collective.

tinkerthinker on December 30, 2011 at 8:15 PM

KickandSwimMom on December 30, 2011 at 8:13 PM

Your comments about Mitt’s wealth are truly embarrassing. You seem rather jealous of his success. What’s your problem? Maybe you would be more comfortable at an Occupy Wall Street rally where you will be around others like yourself who love to vilify rich people.

bluegill on December 30, 2011 at 8:16 PM

AP, maybe its a coincidence and he didnt think of Newt. Thats possible. But keep in mind that being funny and jovial and chummy and all human like isnt exactly Willards strong suit or something that he has much experience with. When he tries to be funny and casual he makes mistakes, like the 10.000$ bet.

Valkyriepundit on December 30, 2011 at 8:17 PM

Politico updated their article to add context.

UPDATE: The context of the Romney comment came, amid his discussion of his parents, with a voter saying, “Don’t cry.” Romney repeated it, saying, “No, no, I won’t cry,” and then followed up with, “There’s no harm in that.” Romney’s camp argues strenuously that he was not in any way tweaking Gingrich, and that he made that clear.

johnt on December 30, 2011 at 8:17 PM

KickandSwimMom on December 30, 2011 at 8:13 PM

They do whine a lot, don’t they? If it isn’t the commenters, it’s the thread topic.

a capella on December 30, 2011 at 8:18 PM

Why is it so hard for folks to believe Mitt would do this?

Because robots don’t take cheap shots unless they benefit from it somehow. Romney doesn’t benefit from this and he surely knows it.

Allahpundit on December 30, 2011 at 8:18 PM

They need to get off this crap. . . I’ve seen very strong, brave people cry and that in no way diminished them. If you’ve never shed a tear then you should reassess your humanity.

rplat on December 30, 2011 at 8:19 PM

bluegill on December 30, 2011 at 8:16 PM

A perfect example of the glories of open registration. Another yahoo to tell me who I am.

KickandSwimMom on December 30, 2011 at 8:19 PM

WILLARD ROMNEY 2012: I don’t cry, but I will crack cheap jokes at your dead mother’s expense.

Paid for by Restore Our Future

Spirit Crusher on December 30, 2011 at 8:20 PM

Only total idiots would take that as Romney poking at Newt.

Jailbreak on December 30, 2011 at 8:08 PM

Yes, Perry supporters would take Mitt’s harmless comment as some kind of insult. These Romney-hating people are delusional… I have to wonder how many of them are Obama plants sent to make Republicans look bad.

bluegill on December 30, 2011 at 8:20 PM

Hmmmm…even the Politico has updated its story with more context (exculpatory)…AP, you still with us? How about posting the real update

r keller on December 30, 2011 at 8:21 PM

Reggie1971 on December 30, 2011 at 7:32 PM

onlineanalyst on December 30, 2011 at 8:02 PM

Yeap…

“Romney’s negative mail campaign tells me he is afraid of Newt,” Ms. Reem said. “And he should be. I will absolutely caucus for Newt on Tuesday.”

Seven Percent Solution on December 30, 2011 at 8:21 PM

A perfect example of the glories of open registration.

KickandSwimMom on December 30, 2011 at 8:19 PM

Sounds like you’re more comfortable with an echo chamber. . . Heaven forbid people with different points of view than you are allowed to comment.

luckedout26 on December 30, 2011 at 8:22 PM

KickandSwimMom on December 30, 2011 at 8:19 PM

No, your own comments show what you are and how jealous you are of others who have succeeded. It’s a little sad. Truly, I think you might have missed your calling as an OWS protester.

bluegill on December 30, 2011 at 8:22 PM

I hope this gets reported widely. Mitt doesn’t need this right now.

Capitalist Hog on December 30, 2011 at 8:23 PM

I’ve seen very strong, brave people cry and that in no way diminished them.
rplat on December 30, 2011 at 8:19 PM

When you’re running to be the leader of the free world, as unfair as it may seem, it’s a different set of rules. Think “Ed Muskie”.

whatcat on December 30, 2011 at 8:24 PM

KickandSwimMom on December 30, 2011 at 8:19 PM

You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life. – Winston Churchill

sharrukin on December 30, 2011 at 8:24 PM

Jailbreak on December 30, 2011 at 8:08 PM

The goodness and greatness of Mitt Romney?!? And I thought Obamatrons were bad with their Obama worship. Wow.

conservative pilgrim on December 30, 2011 at 8:25 PM

He’s not going to make a joke about Gingrich crying! He would make a self-deprecating joke at his own expense. IIRC, Mitt did cry when talking about his own father sometime during the last election cycle when someone mentioned what a great guy he was, and he was teased for saying he faked it when he said he cried about MLK, so I’m guessing this was a promise not to do it again. Trying to find the stories but I can’t access them unless I’m willing to pay a “small fee”. Here’s a hint:

Candidate has another teary moment
Says he’s not ashamed of having emotions
Boston Globe – Boston, Mass.
Author: Michael Levenson
Date: Dec 19, 2007
Start Page: A.17
Section: National
Text Word Count: 722

Buy Danish on December 30, 2011 at 8:25 PM

I hope this gets reported widely. Mitt doesn’t need this right now.

Capitalist Hog on December 30, 2011 at 8:23 PM

This is rather funny. Do you think voters care about any of this petty nonsense? Thankfully, Mitt is going to win the nomination. Hopefully Newt and Rick Perry won’t delay in dropping out.

I can’t wait until we get this baloney primary bickering behind us.

bluegill on December 30, 2011 at 8:26 PM

I’ve found myself saying the exact same thing about Romney four or five times in the past couple of months:

Orwellian.

Nothing else. Just that one word.

logis on December 30, 2011 at 8:26 PM

I AM MITTBOT AND I HAVE COME TO SHILL!

Spirit Crusher on December 30, 2011 at 8:27 PM

bluegill on December 30, 2011 at 8:13 PM

You might want to think about whether you, anonymous commenter, can afford to be seen here with other anonymous commenters. Your reputation hangs in the balance.

Cindy Munford on December 30, 2011 at 8:28 PM

Romney = no core beliefs = wussy = status quo POS

Conservchik on December 30, 2011 at 8:28 PM

Blog in haste, repent in leisure suit or something.

whatcat on December 30, 2011 at 8:29 PM

sharrukin on December 30, 2011 at 8:24 PM

Heh. Thanks for the laugh. :)

KickandSwimMom on December 30, 2011 at 8:29 PM

Cindy Munford on December 30, 2011 at 8:28 PM

LOL

I like subtle snark.

sharrukin on December 30, 2011 at 8:30 PM

This guy’s not going to take needless risks.

Looks like with the context it was more innocent than first reported. Good for Allahpundit for being skeptical.

terryannonline on December 30, 2011 at 8:31 PM

Get real. The man’s a sociopath. He’s playing you all for fools. This is a carefully planned and executed stunt that is apparently working like a charm.

theodore on December 30, 2011 at 5:19 PM

Im sue Simon and Alvin feel the same about you! Please – If you have not lost your Mother, keep your comments to yourself.

not-ur-avragejoe on December 30, 2011 at 8:31 PM

Allahpundit on December 30, 2011 at 8:18 PM

I don’t know about that Allah…

… A few weeks ago, Newt was the biggest threat to Mittens, and Mittens unleashed ‘he%%’.

Included with the never ending TV ads, there are radio ads, automated calls, and enough mailers that would fill the Grand Canyon…

… To think that he is not getting minute by minute updates by his staff on every single opportunity to attack Newt is not reality.

I think Mittens, after having a good laugh with those he surrounds himself with, spoke without actually thinking…

… It’s also interesting to see how fast the back peddling is happening.

Tell me that is just happenstance…

Seven Percent Solution on December 30, 2011 at 8:32 PM

I hope this gets reported widely. Mitt doesn’t need this right now.
Capitalist Hog on December 30, 2011 at 8:23 PM

If Romney wins the nom, this is a walk in the park. He better get used to out-of-context, I-thought-I-heard-him-say kerfluffles. Team Obama isn’t gracious.

conservative pilgrim on December 30, 2011 at 8:33 PM

Jailbreak:

Read the 4th paragraph at this link. Romney opinion of children in his own words.

Pretty sad were I his kid!

Sparky5253 on December 30, 2011 at 8:34 PM

*Sigh* People who know him say he is anything but “nasty in private”. Is it too much to ask that we not make stuff up out of whole cloth?

Gee, thanks for the update to that update, but I still say, GRRRR. Why not have the good sense to be skeptical of stories like these which are simply not believable? Anyone who thinks Romney (of all people!) is the kind of person who would make a joke about someone shedding a tear while reminiscing about their parents is suffering from a severe case of RDS.

And do note that I was not among those who went after Boehner for his propensity to shed tears.

This guy’s not going to take needless risks.

Whatever. He’s not going to mock anyone for caring about their parents. I hope Hot Air will be more careful in the future before they jump on the latest manufactured story without taking a breath to think about it for a moment.

Buy Danish on December 30, 2011 at 8:38 PM

Jailbreak:

Pretty sad were I his kid!

Sparky5253 on December 30, 2011 at 8:34 PM

Yeah, Ive read the article, Sparky. If you think that article suggests that Romney doesnt love his wife and kids, you are beyond stupid.

Jailbreak on December 30, 2011 at 8:38 PM

Blog in haste, repent in leisure suit or something.

whatcat on December 30, 2011 at 8:29 PM

Gotta get those unique page hits up and comments pouring in on a slow Friday newsday.

luckedout26 on December 30, 2011 at 8:40 PM

Buy Danish on December 30, 2011 at 8:38 PM

The timing was unfortunate but let’s face it, he will get ten times this kind of treatment from The Won and with a media that won’t bother with corrections.

Cindy Munford on December 30, 2011 at 8:41 PM

It’s a package deal and you know it. I don’t think America is ready for Real Housewives of Capitol Hill. She’s an adulterous. She would leave a stain.

Capitalist Hog on December 30, 2011 at 7:11 PM

If you are going to keep using this word, could you please start spelling it correctly? Adulteress – woman who commits adultery. Thank you.

Night Owl on December 30, 2011 at 8:42 PM

Allahpundit on December 30, 2011 at 8:18 PM

The benefit for Mitt is in seeing Newt not benefit.

Robert_Paulson on December 30, 2011 at 8:43 PM

terryannonline on December 30, 2011 at 8:31 PM

Yeah, well there’s skeptical, and skeptical skeptical. Kinda like rape and rape rape. Allah was skeptical only because he didn’t think it fit his carefully constructed political persona. It didn’t occur to him that he’s not the sort of man who would do that in the first place.

BTW, This is not the first time Hot Air has fallen for nonsense like this recently. I distinctly recall commenting very recently that they need to be more “skeptical”. I wish I could remember the exact circumstances.

Buy Danish on December 30, 2011 at 8:45 PM

In this thread I learned:
Mitt Romney,,,

“allegedly “saving the company” but what it reveals is something you might have guessed: Bain Capital was the beneficiary of $10million in forgiveness from the FDIC.”

Father of Obamacare
Raised Taxes in taxachussits
flip flopped on abortion
flip flopped on gun control
uses attack dogs
only endorses sure things or after they win

Newt married three times
ushered in republican majorities after 40 years in the minority
Balanced federal budget
reformed welfare
passed abortion bans twice forcing Clintoon vetoes
forced from speakership and fined
endorsed by Art Laffer, Thomas Sowell, JC Watts, Michael Reagan, numerous religious leaders and Iowa politicians

I’ll stay with the guy who cries over his dead mom.

ConcealedKerry on December 30, 2011 at 8:46 PM

Blog in haste, repent in leisure suit or something.
whatcat on December 30, 2011 at 8:29 PM

luckedout26 on December 30, 2011 at 8:40 PM

Nah. I expect AP just has more then one iron in the fire at any given time. It’s the nature of ongoing blogging & updating on misc topics and keeping it fresh.
(But, yeah, there’s still that old axiom about “assume” to keep in mind.)

whatcat on December 30, 2011 at 8:47 PM

Cindy Munford on December 30, 2011 at 8:41 PM

Fine. I expect Hot Air (who are not members of O’s media lapdogs) to do better and not fall for these stories in the first place. Just take a deep breath, think about it for a minute before assuming it’s true or rushing to get in on the hot story of the hour.

Buy Danish on December 30, 2011 at 8:48 PM

This is serious journalistic malpractice by Politico. Watching that video I can’t see how anyone could report it as Romney mocking Newt. If there is anything good about this incident it is that Romney has a excellent rapid response team, which he’s going to need if he becomes the nominee.

johnt on December 30, 2011 at 8:50 PM

sheryl on December 30, 2011 at 6:20 PM

Did Newt get paid for providing service?

It’s called capitalism. Stop your whining.

portlandon on December 30, 2011 at 6:26 PM

You have a weird idea of capitalism. Newt got paid with taxpayers’ money to praise and promote a socialist mortgage scheme and to help keep the regulators at bay. He then lied and told his ultra cynical fellow travelers that he was paid as a historian. The disastrous sub prime mortgage scheme he promoted nearly destroyed the banking system. No conservative with any clue as to how the economy functions would have supported Fannie Mae/Freddie Mac. They were a disaster waiting to happen.

You and angryed and the rest who still support Newt need to read Reckless Endangerment and get clue.

And I invite angryed to demonstrate in what way, other than the individual mandate, Obamacare is the same as Romneycare. I bet $10,000.00 that he hasn’t read either bill

Basilsbest on December 30, 2011 at 8:52 PM

Now that the video is out….dont you Mitt hates feel stupid? You sure LOOK stupid. He wasnt referencing Newt Gingrich in any way shape or form, clown people.

Jailbreak on December 30, 2011 at 8:52 PM

Buy Danish on December 30, 2011 at 8:48 PM

Mistakes happen, I’m sure it was not intentional. Given Politico’s reliance on unnamed sources they should always be suspect.

Cindy Munford on December 30, 2011 at 8:53 PM

I have a hard time seeing this as innocent. I have no doubt that Mitt knew what happened with Newt, and I do know that if I was in that position I would have ignored the person who made the “don’t cry” remark. Mitt is not a total robot which he proved by freaking out on Bair.

Southernblogger on December 30, 2011 at 8:53 PM

GREAT human clip.

He’s still to much of a big government lover and Teddy Roosevelt and his Progressive political philosophy.

PappyD61 on December 30, 2011 at 8:53 PM

I keep telling people that Mittens is as wooden as they come.

I don’t think he can cry (or has a pulse).

I’m voting for the crier because its politically correct to show your vulnerable side.

Crier for Newt!