Romney’s sons: Our dad is a total cheapskate who’d teach Congress to cut costs, too

posted at 6:05 pm on December 30, 2011 by Tina Korbe

It was Peggy Noonan who suggested that, especially during difficult economic times, voters look for a father figure, which Barack Obama decidedly is not. (He’s the “bright, lost older brother,” she wrote.) Noonan thought Romney just might be the GOP candidate who most evokes the father figures in 1950s and 1960s sitcoms that, in her words, “terrorized and comforted a generation of children from non-functioning families.”

If Romney managed to convey that impression even before his sons started to stump for him, then their presence on the campaign trail can only enhance the image of Romney as a wise, stable head-of-the-household — because, unlike Huntsman’s daughters, Romney’s sons are not snarky or silly, but down-to-earth, sincere and relatable. Yesterday, four of the five Romney sons (the fifth was absent only because he’s in the midst of his medical residency) met with Republican voters at a coffee shop in New Hampshire. What they had to say about their father was fresh and encouraging. Reuters reports:

The boys stuck mostly to the campaign playbook of emphasizing the candidate’s record as a businessman, having rescued the 2002 Salt Lake City Olympics and run the neighboring state of Massachusetts as governor.

But they also gave a glimpse of their father’s personal values.

“My dad has more energy than anyone I’ve ever seen,” Josh Romney said. “He is also tremendously cheap.”

As children in Belmont, Massachusetts, the boys said they learned not to leave the tap water running too long, or they would get a rebuke from their father, who was in the process of building the venture capital powerhouse Bain Capital.

“Congress would learn pretty quickly that they’re not going to get money from my dad either,” Josh Romney said. …

“My dad’s image couldn’t be further from the truth,” said Matt Romney, 40, who works at a real estate investment trust in San Diego. “If you see him in other settings, he’s the most fun guy out there. He’s always joking around.”

It’s undoubtedly a sign of my wide-eyed optimism that I often fall for campaign gimmicks — from Herman Cain singing “Impossible Dream” to Jon Huntsman’s vamping at the keyboards to this — but it does seem to me that Romney’s case that, as a person at least, he has lived consistently and conservatively continues to acquire greater credibility. I first began to follow Josh Romney on Twitter when somebody retweeted a tweet of his that included a picture of his dad and mom sitting in a couple of hotel armchairs in advance of a GOP debate. When I looked at the picture, I felt an overpowering sense of comfort. Here was a familiar scene. How many times — in advance of some event — has my dad, in button-down shirt and jeans (which happened to be what Romney was wearing in the picture), sat across from mom in a little hotel sitting area, talking about this or that idea? Does any of this make Mitt Romney politically other than he has always been? Of course not. But his sons’ presence on the trail reminds me that we have and could do worse than to nominate him or any of this year’s supposedly “weak” GOP candidates.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5

they look like clones churned out of the same Ken doll mold….

mittens on December 30, 2011 at 8:20 PM

Well alot of people have been hellbent on demonizing Newt that they fail to see he’s human too.

I’d like to see Newtie Poo pull it out and revert back to conservativism…I see him as a brother who has been lost in the political wilderness and I want to welcome him back home.

Dr. Tesla on December 30, 2011 at 8:22 PM

This candyass portrait of the romney sons of privilege is disgusting to me. Not that it matters, but they just remind me of the jock that would spit at me as I ordered a Coke at the High School football game.

Romney… Elite. Ewe.

Key West Reader on December 30, 2011 at 6:47 PM

Class warfare, anyone?

Nice kids who love their dad remind you of creeps, huh?

Ewe?

itsnotaboutme on December 30, 2011 at 8:22 PM

Why didn’t any of his sons serve in the military? Did Romney ever address that issue? What did Romney say to them about that when they were growing up? …just curious (seems very, very odd).

Pragmatic on December 30, 2011 at 8:25 PM

Romney… Elite. Ewe.

Key West Reader on December 30, 2011 at 6:47 PM
Since when did jock = elite?

I finally understand now…. Romney haters = The guys who got picked on at school and resent others’ wealth.

haner on December 30, 2011 at 7:01 PM

You are correct, Haner. These Romney haters really hate the guy because he is extremely successful and they remind them of the people that outperformed them in their pathetic lifes.

Sorry that your lives are so pathetic Romney-haters. But F you anyway. Its not Romney’s fault that your life sucks.

Jailbreak on December 30, 2011 at 8:25 PM

Mittbots are as predictable as Pavlov’s Dogs. An e-anthropologist’s wet dreams.

Spirit Crusher on December 30, 2011 at 8:25 PM

Dr. Tesla on December 30, 2011 at 8:22 PM

You have a kind soul. I’d like this also. Too bad there’s no place for souls as they are sold out in politics.

athenadelphi on December 30, 2011 at 8:26 PM

Nice elitist kids who love their dad’s money remind you of creeps, huh?

Ewe?

itsnotaboutme on December 30, 2011 at 8:22 PM

FIFY Sparky

chewmeister on December 30, 2011 at 8:26 PM

who cares what they think . . .all their comments are phoney and staged . ..like father, like sons.

Pragmatic on December 30, 2011 at 8:26 PM

Pragmatic on December 30, 2011 at 8:25 PM

There is no draft, stupid. Why should they join the military when they have better options? What kind of loser jingoist clown looks down their noses on people who choose a life outside of the military during peace-time. Get a life, loser.

Jailbreak on December 30, 2011 at 8:27 PM

You mean the brother who has been missing for years and everyone selectively remembers only the good things about?

Count to 10 on December 30, 2011 at 8:27 PM

Jailbreak on December 30, 2011 at 8:27 PM
Maybe because serving in the military is an honorable thing? Just sayin’.

chewmeister on December 30, 2011 at 8:31 PM

Jailbreak
Ya right like if there was a draft they’d go, come on get real. They’d get the Bush treatment!

angrymike on December 30, 2011 at 8:32 PM

Maybe because serving in the military is an honorable thing? Just sayin’.

chewmeister on December 30, 2011 at 8:31 PM

Mitt Romney has no honor. Just look at all the positions he has spurned on the way to the altar.

Spirit Crusher on December 30, 2011 at 8:33 PM

So the citizens of the US finally became dysfunctional enough to vote for Willard?

Valkyriepundit on December 30, 2011 at 8:34 PM

I want Obama in a helicopter on Jan 19,2013 waving as he leaves the White House for the last time.

If Romney has the best chance of making that happen then I’ll gladly support him.

The thought of another four years with Obama, but this time without an election keeping him in check–that’s a nightmare much worse than President Romney.

bailey24 on December 30, 2011 at 8:34 PM

Am I lost? Did I stumble on a left wing website that engages in class warfare??? Where nice young men are slammed for being…nice young men?
Wake me when it’s over.

bluealice on December 30, 2011 at 8:34 PM

How could you not know Eddie Haskell? His character is a part of Americana like Archie Bunker, Lois Lane, Lucy, Ricky, Ethel and Fred.

Wow. I guess it is a good trait to not know so much tv, shows you to be an intellectual.

Back to the topic, I don’t like picking on the candidates’ children, ever. They are not running for office, and who would expect any of them to degrade their parents? I wish Reagan’s two youngest would have heeded that.

jazzuscounty on December 30, 2011 at 8:35 PM

Mittbots are as predictable as Pavlov’s Dogs. An e-anthropologist’s wet dreams.

Spirit Crusher on December 30, 2011 at 8:25 PM

Don’t be mean, don’t be hating! This wee Scots lass sings her heart out making the only articulate & sensible case for Willard that I’ve seen so far:

Maybe Mitt can make her “Romney Girl” for 2012!

ebrown2 on December 30, 2011 at 8:36 PM

The way you throw around insults JAILBREAK I’m starting to believe you might be a liberal!
No can’t be your a mittens fan/

angrymike on December 30, 2011 at 8:37 PM

jazzuscounty on December 30, 2011 at 8:35 PM

You betcha!

ebrown2 on December 30, 2011 at 8:37 PM

Jailbreak on December 30, 2011 at 8:25 PM

After reading your posts for a period of time…
you are the one that sounds like you have no life….and what you do have SUCKS!

Mitt does have good kids, and they usually reflect on the parent.

KOOLAID2 on December 30, 2011 at 8:39 PM

Jailbreak on December 30, 2011 at 8:25 PM

Exactly how is Mitt Romney successful?

He got millions from his father and ran businesses into the ground.

Big deal.

He never created or did anything on his own.

tetriskid on December 30, 2011 at 8:40 PM

jazzuscounty on December 30, 2011 at 8:35 PM

I don’t either. However, when they enter the political arena, then they’re fair game.

chewmeister on December 30, 2011 at 8:40 PM

Exactly how is Mitt Romney successful?

He got millions from his father and ran businesses into the ground.

Big deal.

He never created or did anything on his own.

tetriskid on December 30, 2011 at 8:40 PM

Typical brilliant HotAir poster.

You are SO right, Tetris. He hasnt been successful at anything. All he has done is spend millions that his father game him. Damn, you are so right and so perfectly representative of the HotAir mindset and IQ.

Jailbreak on December 30, 2011 at 8:43 PM

you are the one that sounds like you have no life….and what you do have SUCKS!

Mitt does have good kids, and they usually reflect on the parent.

KOOLAID2 on December 30, 2011 at 8:39 PM

Like Romney, I have great children. All in college and doing well. One is going to law school next year. Thanks for asking, loser.

Jailbreak on December 30, 2011 at 8:44 PM

Typical brilliant HotAir poster.

Jailbreak on December 30, 2011 at 8:43 PM

Maybe you should get back to laughing at Newt’s dead mother.

tetriskid on December 30, 2011 at 8:45 PM

MITT is a Big Government loving velvet glove Progressive.

He fits in the GOP Nominee mold like:

Ford in 1976
Bush in 1988,1992
Dole in 1996
Bush in 2000,2004
and McCain in 2008.

WHY do we want more wussy gutless kinder gentler crapola from the GOP?

Is the party to aggressive now?

Is the Congressional leadership of the GOP to firm and standing on conviction to often?

NO NEWT
NO MITT
NO more Progressive GOP Nominees

PappyD61 on December 30, 2011 at 8:47 PM

Typical brilliant HotAir poster.

Then go somewhere where they worship st. Romney. God dang

Flapjackmaka on December 30, 2011 at 8:47 PM

Jailbreak on December 30, 2011 at 8:43 PM

This is the second thread I’ve read in a short time where your dissing the posters here. If your so disgusted and offended by the mindset and IQ here, why the hell did you darken our doorstep with your presence??

KickandSwimMom on December 30, 2011 at 8:47 PM

Maybe you should get back to laughing at Newt’s dead mother.

tetriskid on December 30, 2011 at 8:45 PM

Laughing at Newt’s dead mother???

Another perfect example of today’s HotAir customer base. I am so thankful that Romney is hated by HotAir. I would be concerned if the losers that post the hateful, stupid swill actually liked the guy.

Jailbreak on December 30, 2011 at 8:47 PM

“My dad’s image couldn’t be further from the truth.”

“farther”

Just sayin’

mankai on December 30, 2011 at 6:07 PM

FUrther….an immeasurable distance…….further from the truth. (Can’t be measured.)
FArther…a measurable distance…..farther south, there will be snow. (Can be measured)

Just sayin’….. : ).

herm2416 on December 30, 2011 at 8:48 PM

KickandSwimMom on December 30, 2011 at 8:47 PM

Oh, OK KickandSwimMom…whatever you say dear. I really care what you want me to do.

Jailbreak on December 30, 2011 at 8:49 PM

Laughing at Newt’s dead mother???

Jailbreak on December 30, 2011 at 8:47 PM

You Romney fans are so sick it’s pathetic.

Mitt Romney mocks Newt Gingrich for showing emotion about his parents and you cult members lap it up.

tetriskid on December 30, 2011 at 8:51 PM

You Romney fans are so sick it’s pathetic.

tetriskid on December 30, 2011 at 8:51 PM

There has been an update to that thread TetrisBitch, not that you’d let the facts get in the way of your tantrum.

Update: Turns out Romney didn’t bring up crying, a questioner did. And even when he replied, he was careful to say there’s nothing wrong with it:

The context of the Romney comment came, amid his discussion of his parents, with a voter saying, “Don’t cry.” Romney repeated it, saying, “No, no, I won’t cry,” and then followed up with, “There’s no harm in that.” Romney’s camp argues strenuously that he was not in any way tweaking Gingrich, and that he made that clear.

This guy’s not going to take needless risks.

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on December 30, 2011 at 8:54 PM

You Romney fans are so sick it’s pathetic.

tetriskid on December 30, 2011 at 8:51 PM

Looks like you need to go back to that other thread and see what Mitt really said. Go watch the video before you post anything so moronic again.

luckedout26 on December 30, 2011 at 8:57 PM

Laughing at Newt’s dead mother???

Jailbreak on December 30, 2011 at 8:47 PM

^ Very well put. I completely agree.

bluegill on December 30, 2011 at 9:04 PM

Romney… Elite. Ewe.

Key West Reader on December 30, 2011 at 6:47 PM

What a hilarious yet pathetic comment. Are you sure you aren’t one of Obama’s class warfare-loving supporters?

bluegill on December 30, 2011 at 9:06 PM

Uh, no. As I said, I don’t begrudge ANYBODY their wealth. What I object to is the nonsense these kids are spewing about how “cheap” their father is. Now, that is a joke. Do you think those kids have ever gone without anything they’ve wanted? Hell, no. In addition, I just heard FOX news do a story about how the candidates are getting around Iowa. We have buses, SUVs, trucks, and 30 seat private planes. Who do you think is traveling in the plane? Hint: his wife said they call it the “Hair plane.” I kid you not.

I am as cheap as they come…to the point of cutting dryer sheets in half. We seldom eat out. My kids think shopping at Target is extravagant. We mow our own lawn, shovel our driveway, etc. if we can do it ourselves, why hire someone and pay for it? A lot of people think we are wealthy because of what we own…it is precisely BECAUSE I am cheap that we own nice cars and a large house. I was raised that way, as was my husband. Our children are being raised the same way. I will not judge Romney on his personal wealth, why should I, he earned it and invests as he sees fit–like most of us do.

herm2416 on December 30, 2011 at 9:11 PM

KickandSwimMom on December 30, 2011 at 7:17 PM

I don’t care if Mitt supplies each of his sons with diamond-encrusted Rolls Royces. He can do whatever he want with his own money. Not sure why you seem to resent his success so much. I think your badmouthing him for having money says a lot more about you and your own issues than anything else.

Have the Pro-Amnesty Perry and Mr. Baggage/Freddie Mac lobbyist Newt Gingrich supporters grown so desperate that they have to resort to these kinds of lame attacks on Romney?

bluegill on December 30, 2011 at 9:20 PM

Some very immature comments on this thread say much more about the poster than the topic. The haters have irrational liberal mind syndrome.

ray on December 30, 2011 at 9:22 PM

Nice looking kids, and it looks like the Romney’s did a good job at raising them. As far as Peggy Noonan goes, I wrote her off a long time ago.

Dr Evil on December 30, 2011 at 9:28 PM

bluegill on December 30, 2011 at 9:20 PM

Look, I’m done responding to inane bomb-throwers. You don’t know me and I don’t know you (thank God). The difference between us is I don’t pretend to know you and what your all about. In fact, your not a person I even want to know. I’m done responding to you, Jailbreak, and the other new idjits here who are clueless but act like they know all.

KickandSwimMom on December 30, 2011 at 9:29 PM

Thank you Ray!

angrymike on December 30, 2011 at 9:30 PM

you are the one that sounds like you have no life….and what you do have SUCKS!

Mitt does have good kids, and they usually reflect on the parent.

KOOLAID2 on December 30, 2011 at 8:39 PM

Jailbreak on December 30, 2011 at 8:44 PM

Yes, but in your case they for sure take after the mother!

KOOLAID2 on December 30, 2011 at 9:32 PM

Jailbreak on December 30, 2011 at 8:47 PM

Good luck with your GOTV efforts in November.

angryed on December 30, 2011 at 9:36 PM

The cult of Mormon is cloning.

M_J_S on December 30, 2011 at 9:37 PM

Jailbreak on December 30, 2011 at 8:44 PM

I’m sure they’re as nice as their mother.
BTW, good luck with GOTV efforts in November. With that kind of persuasive argument, you guys can’t lose.

knock knock

Yea

Hi, I’m Jailbreak, I’m here to see if I can interest you in voting for Romney

Nah, I don’t think so. I probably won’t bother voting this year

LOSER!! MORON!!

angryed on December 30, 2011 at 9:38 PM

Romney… Elite. Ewe.

Key West Reader on December 30, 2011 at 6:47 PM

NancyBoy.

Jaibones on December 30, 2011 at 9:41 PM

Jailbreak on December 30, 2011 at 8:25 PM

Thanks for asking, loser.

Jailbreak on December 30, 2011 at 8:44 PM

Jailbreak on December 30, 2011 at 8:47 PM

Jailbreak on December 30, 2011 at 8:43 PM

Troll – One who posts a deliberately provocative message to a newsgroup or message board with the intention of causing maximum disruption and argument

angryed on December 30, 2011 at 9:42 PM

All this envy and projection says more about the posters than the Romneys. Either they really are that immature, or they think WE are immature enough to be swayed by that silliness.

jodetoad on December 30, 2011 at 9:43 PM

angryed on December 30, 2011 at 9:42 PM

Kettle…. meet pot….

luckedout26 on December 30, 2011 at 9:46 PM

I’ve never had a problem with Mitt in regard to his personal life, he has obviously done a great job as a husband and father. He is not my candidate of choice by a long shot but damn, some of these comments are really over the top. It’s low class to attack the kids. Think I’m getting close to being officially fed up with it all.

kg598301 on December 30, 2011 at 9:46 PM

For a smart guy Willard is a fool. Obama’s entire campaign will be to demonize him as an out of touch 1% Wall St exec. So what does Willard do to counter that attack? Pimp out his Ken Doll sons who oooze 1% rich guy from every pore of their body.

I have nothing against Mitt’s money. I’ve made some money in my day too. I wish everyone could make as much money as him. But the optics are horrible for Willard and he’s exacerbating the very negative stereotype he should be trying like hell to avoid. It would be like Obama releasing a video of him hanging out with Bill Ayres or a Bush video showing him kicking it old school with Texas oil tycoons.

angryed on December 30, 2011 at 9:49 PM

Why didn’t any of his sons serve in the military?

Pragmatic on December 30, 2011 at 8:25 PM

Avoiding military service is a Romney family tradition. They prefer more hazardous duty, like being missionaries in the wilds of France.

“Hey guys, it’s almost noon. We’re out of brochures so let’s look for converts at the topless beach.”

bw222 on December 30, 2011 at 9:55 PM

Whoa, whoa, whoa. A somewhat objective post about Mitt Romney? What am I hearing!? Nothing about how his sons are cyborgs all drunk on kool-aid? Nothing about Mitt flip-flopping because … of something (?). Surely there’s something implicit in this post about how he’s filthy rich and out-of-touch and cramming the 99% …
Oh wait! That’s Obama’s blogs, sorry … my bad, got the two mixed up. When we get going about Romney here at HotAir, I sometimes can’t tell the difference!

Crefonso on December 30, 2011 at 10:03 PM

This is the type of blog that puts people like Tina firmly in the Romney column. Well thought-out observation about family, and a bunch of little boys with issues demonstrate the typical irrational Romney hate that opens so many eyes about his detractors.

No, the Romney Hate isnt all about conservativism. There’s a lot of pillow biters out there with deep issues.

swamp_yankee on December 30, 2011 at 10:06 PM

honestly, I’m curious how far back in the Romney family tree we’d have to go before we find one person that served in the military?

we aren’t just electing a political leader here. we’re electing a Commander in Chief. this is beyond CEO territory. this isn’t just sending people off to the unemployment line if they screw up. this is sending people off to die. Romney doesn’t have it in him.

warhorse_03826 on December 30, 2011 at 10:07 PM

But his sons’ presence on the trail reminds me that we have and could do worse than to nominate him or any of this year’s supposedly “weak” GOP candidates. -Tina

“Heretic!!!!11!!11!!ELEVENTY Off with her HEAD!!!!!!!1!!!!!1!1!!!!” -average HA commenter.

I love ya HA, but dammit if the crazy commenters haven’t become one of my favorite forms of entertainment.

mattshu on December 30, 2011 at 10:16 PM

warhorse_03826 on December 30, 2011 at 10:07 PM

This is interesting the Pratt-Romney family tree. Guess what? Huntsman is a cousin…

Fallon on December 30, 2011 at 10:17 PM

I would simply say, I’m not interested in Romney, but it considering HA is scanning & banning anti-Romney comments, I won’t.

bigdicksplace on December 30, 2011 at 10:20 PM

I found two:

William Pratt (1609–1670), early colonial settler and lieutenant in the Pequot War. Representative to the General Court of Connecticut for 23 terms.

G. Ott Romney (December 12, 1892-May 3, 1973) was born in Salt Lake City, the son of George Ernst and Hannah, and died in Alexandria, Virginia. He was the third head football coach at Brigham Young University, coaching for nine years from 1928-1936. His national positions included Chairman of the National Recreation Policies Committee, National Director of the Recreation Section of the Works Progress Administration or WPA, assignments with the American Alliance of Health, Physical Education and Recreation, and membership on U.S. President Dwight D. Eisenhower’s Council on Youth Fitness. During World War II he served as Chief of Recreation and Club Unit Services to the United States Armed Forces through the Red Cross.

Maybe, that’s one.

Fallon on December 30, 2011 at 10:23 PM

I’m so tired of those saying military service is required for serving as president. Hey, I lost an aunt and uncle in the service, my brother did 8 years. What they did is irrelevant to me. Tina- this thread shows the absolute lunacy the Romney haters have.

drballard on December 30, 2011 at 10:27 PM

A typical night at Hot Air

Romney says, in response to someone in the audience saying: “don’t cry” as he begins to talk about his parents.

I won’t cry. But I do, I do. I have nothing to be ashamed of in that regard.

AP (whoever he is) gives Romney the benefit of the doubt on the question of whether Romney is mocking Gingrich, not on the basis of Romney’s basic decency but on the basis that he’s too smart to take such a risk as to mock Gingrich over a normal human emotion.

There then follows the usual idiocies from Romney-hating idiot gun jumpers led by portlandon claiming “well isn’t this just typical of Romney to mock Gingrich, blah, blah, blah”.

It is a conservative trait not to jump to conclusions. Not one of you anti-Romneyites is a conservative. Romney is a decent man. One cannot say the same about any of you.

Basilsbest on December 30, 2011 at 10:28 PM

Wrong thread, you say. Oh dear.

Basilsbest on December 30, 2011 at 10:31 PM

swamp_yankee on December 30, 2011 at 10:06 PM

Wow using a disgusting and hateful gay slur to put down people who don’t support a particular candidate. Isn’t this type of thing ban worthy?

Is this really how you plan on convincing people to vote for you guy? Pathetic.

angryed on December 30, 2011 at 10:40 PM

Nice elitist kids who love their dad’s money remind you of creeps, huh?

FIFY for you Sparky

chewmeister on December 30, 2011 at 8:26 PM

One of Romney’s sons is a physician. Would an elitist kid whose family is worth hundreds of millions become a medical resident for $40k a year working 80 hours a week? Even after he becomes an attending physician he’ll make a pittance compared to living on daddy’s interest money doing nothing.

The amount of class warfare and envy that some of you “true conservatives” are showing is more appropriate for DKos. You aren’t conservatives, and frankly you all should get the hell out of the Republican Party like Gingrich’s hero Teddy Roosevelt did.

haner on December 30, 2011 at 10:41 PM

You can’t be serious. Romney said he was renovating his multi million dollar home on the most expensive piece of real estate in Southern California not for him, but for his sons. We’re to believe they know hardship and struggle?

I’m sick of it all. Obama’s going to get a second term.

Marcus on December 30, 2011 at 10:50 PM

I’m sure multi-millionaire Newt’s kids and multi-millionaire Perry’s kids slept on futons and att Ramen noodles every night as paid their way through college working at the 7-11.

swamp_yankee on December 30, 2011 at 10:55 PM

The gritty, blue collar, merit based life of Griffin Perry:

swamp_yankee on December 30, 2011 at 11:00 PM

I’m sick of it all. Obama’s going to get a second term.

Marcus on December 30, 2011 at 10:50 PM

Because becoming a doctor is such a piece of cake, the MCAT and USMLE are rubber stamps, radiology is easy to match, and years of 80 hour a week medical residency is just like being a reality TV actress. Only the irresponsible, stupid and impoverished can understand hardship and struggle.

Yes, Obama might just get a second term, because there are so many conservative morons like you. No, you’re not a conservative, you’re just a liberal who believes in God and a redistributionist for everyone who makes more than you.

haner on December 30, 2011 at 11:02 PM

A typical night at Hot Air

I won’t cry. But I do, I do. I have nothing to be ashamed of in that regard.

Basilsbest on December 30, 2011 at 10:28 PM

post of the day

This is a reflection of what right-wing blogs which is basically a forum for mouth-breathers who are angry at their worthless and loser lives to vent.

Same goes for the fat-asses who spout hate on talk-radio. Screw em all!!! They are the ugly-stepchildren of the true conservative movement. they sure in hell arent like William F Buckley…rich, educated conservative that he was.

Jailbreak on December 30, 2011 at 11:05 PM

I find it hard to believe that most of you people are really conservative. And Hot Air is jus a site that puts hits to it’s controversial posts above the betterment of the GOP and for that matter the country. The more they can pit republican against republican the more hits they get and the worse the chances of putting a republican in the WH in 2012 are.

Vomit

tpw on December 30, 2011 at 11:06 PM

I don’t care about Mitt’s wealth. His family is fine. I DO care how he will take on Obama in the general. Will he go after him or play McCain 2.0?

Stray Cat on December 30, 2011 at 11:06 PM

No, Obama will get a second term because the Republicans are nominating a plastic whiter than white rich spoiled windsock, who is going to try to pretend that having a governor father and a US Senate candidate mother makes him an “outsider” in DC. Jeez, we warned you months and months ago.

Marcus on December 30, 2011 at 11:09 PM

Wow. The hostile class envy on this thread is simply stunning. If this is any indication of how “conservatives” in this country feel, it really doesn’t matter a bit who wins in 2012; the progressives have won. The demonization of wealth is complete. It’ll be so much easier for the statists to take all that money away in the very near future, what with those wealthy folks all being so evil and undeserving and…just plain rich! And when that isn’t enough, I and my little ‘ole retirement account will be the “filthy rich,” so they’ll take that. And when that isn’t enough, the “filthy rich” will be those rotten bastards who own their own home. And when that isn’t enough…

Obama and the far left smile tonight; they’ve got the “conservatives” decrying the “filthy rich.” Well done, liberals. Well done. Sheep, indeed.

Rational Thought on December 30, 2011 at 11:10 PM

Pragmatic on December 30, 2011 at 8:25 PM

Considering most LDS children plan to serve proselyting missions, military service isn’t a priority. It makes Romney unable, well I don’t want to say “unable”, perhaps less likely to have a real grasp on what a trooper and the family go through as a consequence of military service. But I don’t hold that against him no more than I hold it against someone who doesn’t dedicate their life to being a doctor, nurse, firefight, police officer, or the like. What matters to me is will he respect the service and understand that sending a child to $hitholestan for one year is way different than sending a child to Germany for eighteen months to two years.

I have not seen it yet from him, but I hope to.

csdeven on December 30, 2011 at 11:10 PM

Stray Cat on December 30, 2011 at 11:06 PM

This is what concerns me about Romney as well. He doesn’t have a track record of being an advocate for Conservatism and I get the impression that he will say enough to try to win the Conservative base of the GOP over now and then (if he wins the nomination) will calculate that he needs to shift to the center so as not to scare Independents away. In reality, Obama’s approval ratings are in the toilet because he is in way over his head and this is one of those elections where a true contrast of ideas can be won just like in 1980.

SleightOfHand on December 30, 2011 at 11:25 PM

Romney… Elite. Ewe.

Key West Reader on December 30, 2011 at 6:47 PM

He didn’t spit at you because he was a jock. He spit at you because he didn’t know you were there.

jaime on December 30, 2011 at 11:25 PM

I’m sick of it all. Obama’s going to get a second term.

Marcus on December 30, 2011 at 10:50 PM

Stage four….depression.

csdeven on December 30, 2011 at 11:34 PM

jaime on December 30, 2011 at 11:25 PM

That wasn’t spit. It was his own tears of jealousy because he wasn’t popular.

csdeven on December 30, 2011 at 11:35 PM

I’m sick of it all. Obama’s going to get a second term.

Marcus on December 30, 2011 at 10:50 PM

Stage four….depression.

csdeven on December 30, 2011 at 11:34 PM

Nah, I’m at acceptance. It’s going to make next year less stressful for me. Not stressful at all, in fact.

Marcus on December 30, 2011 at 11:43 PM

That wasn’t spit. It was his own tears of jealousy because he wasn’t popular.

csdeven on December 30, 2011 at 11:35 PM

lol

I wasn’t the most popular kid in grade school either, but you know what, I never whined about it. I got good grades, worked hard in school and moved on to better pastures. The best revenge isn’t to put someone else down because they are better, richer or prettier, but it’s to do better than them or outshine them in other areas. That’s the conservative ethic, realize that in the end everyone has to pay their dues if they are to get somewhere. I am appalled by the statement that Romney and his kids don’t understand struggle and hardship just because they are wealthy. When I was in med school and residency, everyone, rich or poor, busted their asses. A good doctor was a good doctor, period. I demand no less drive from my own kids even as they grow up on much better financial conditions than I did. All the money in the world cannot save a lazy and stupid person from a life of mediocrity.

haner on December 30, 2011 at 11:48 PM

My extended vacation will be over on Tuesday, heading back to the OR. I will no longer be coming to HotGas regularly. I’m saddened that so many so called conservatives have bought the liberal class warfare rhetoric hook, line and sinker. We can differ all we want on which candidate we might support, but I can’t accept someone who calls himself a conservative while also mocking and showing disdain for the values of success and individual responsibility. 2+2 is still not 5, and you can’t tell me white is black and black is white. Raising a happy intact family of responsible children with their own thriving families is never a vice by my book.

haner on December 31, 2011 at 12:02 AM

Uhm, you do realize you’re supporting the one Republican candidate who has embraced the 1%/99% language and stated he wants to be elected to do something about it? You DO realize that. I can did up the Mark Levin audio if you need refreshing.

Marcus on December 31, 2011 at 12:10 AM

Not a Huntsman fan, but … {{{ MEOW }}}, retract those cat-claws, Tina :-)

Firefly_76 on December 31, 2011 at 12:43 AM

Sucks Mitt cheated on his wife.

Wait.

blatantblue on December 31, 2011 at 1:01 AM

Romney… Elite. Ewe.

Key West Reader on December 30, 2011 at 6:47 PM

jaime on December 30, 2011 at 11:25 PM

actually, he spit on him cause he is a loser tool. Us cool kids always spit on loser tools.

Jailbreak on December 31, 2011 at 1:02 AM

Marcus on December 31, 2011 at 12:10 AM

Mark Levin is hardly the fountain of truth. He is actually quite shallow. You can look up that one too.

Jailbreak on December 31, 2011 at 1:04 AM

I think there is a strong chance that the GOP as we know it will not survive this election cycle. The cracks in the stool are becoming too significant to maintain weight for much longer.

McDuck on December 31, 2011 at 1:07 AM

The problem ith the GOP is you have a lot of people who don’t vote for it giving it advice on how to win elections, ie move to the left, pander to gays and minorities, etc.

Dr. Tesla on December 31, 2011 at 1:15 AM

Is Mitt the only candidate who can be considered a good family man?

Perry, Santorum, Bachman, Ron Paul all fall short on this?

Dr. Tesla on December 31, 2011 at 1:17 AM

Dr. Tesla on December 31, 2011 at 1:15 AM

With the changing demographics, the GOP will not do well in the coming decades if it doesn’t do something about its old, wealthy WASP image. Blatant pandering is not the solution, but we must treat the problem seriously.

McDuck on December 31, 2011 at 1:23 AM

Pass the litmus paper please! Just who do you conservatives want? I have never read such a trashing thread. If we, and I say we exclusive of this thread lose, you can all look long and hard in the mirror. You are all experts, / and know all about everything but no two of you can agree. You criticize the left for not looking out for the country, what are you doing? This is how all the comments read…to a neutral reader. You would lose the war just to win your little battles. Reagan wouldn’t like you much either.

AReadyRepub on December 31, 2011 at 1:25 AM

Uhhh, can we see more Romney son pics? Preferably without shirts?

di butler on December 31, 2011 at 1:29 AM

AReadyRepub,

What the hell are you talking about? Stop acting like you speak for Reagan. It’s ghoulish.

Dr. Tesla on December 31, 2011 at 1:31 AM

McDuck,

We can’t out-gay the Democrat party. And we can’t force blacks to be open minded on politics.

Dr. Tesla on December 31, 2011 at 1:32 AM

haner on December 30, 2011 at 11:48 PM

I’m not surprised by the attacks. There is one person here who claims Mitt got all he has because of his dad. Of course he has no proof. I figure him as jealous or a bigot.

The fact is that all the Romney children made the most of the opportunity afforded them by their parents wealth. But they had to work just as hard as the person who had less opportunity yet achieved the same level of success.

csdeven on December 31, 2011 at 1:32 AM

Uhhh, can we see more Romney son pics? Preferably without shirts?

di butler on December 31, 2011 at 1:29 AM

They are eye candy for sure.

Dr. Tesla on December 31, 2011 at 1:34 AM

I’m pretty sure most poor people wish they had the advantages that Romney’s kids had.

You are delusional if you think that rich kids don’t have a greater chance at success in life than poor kids.

This isn’t classwarfare.