posted at 6:05 pm on December 30, 2011 by Tina Korbe

It was Peggy Noonan who suggested that, especially during difficult economic times, voters look for a father figure, which Barack Obama decidedly is not. (He’s the “bright, lost older brother,” she wrote.) Noonan thought Romney just might be the GOP candidate who most evokes the father figures in 1950s and 1960s sitcoms that, in her words, “terrorized and comforted a generation of children from non-functioning families.”

If Romney managed to convey that impression even before his sons started to stump for him, then their presence on the campaign trail can only enhance the image of Romney as a wise, stable head-of-the-household — because, unlike Huntsman’s daughters, Romney’s sons are not snarky or silly, but down-to-earth, sincere and relatable. Yesterday, four of the five Romney sons (the fifth was absent only because he’s in the midst of his medical residency) met with Republican voters at a coffee shop in New Hampshire. What they had to say about their father was fresh and encouraging. Reuters reports:

The boys stuck mostly to the campaign playbook of emphasizing the candidate’s record as a businessman, having rescued the 2002 Salt Lake City Olympics and run the neighboring state of Massachusetts as governor.

But they also gave a glimpse of their father’s personal values.

“My dad has more energy than anyone I’ve ever seen,” Josh Romney said. “He is also tremendously cheap.”

As children in Belmont, Massachusetts, the boys said they learned not to leave the tap water running too long, or they would get a rebuke from their father, who was in the process of building the venture capital powerhouse Bain Capital.

“Congress would learn pretty quickly that they’re not going to get money from my dad either,” Josh Romney said. …

“My dad’s image couldn’t be further from the truth,” said Matt Romney, 40, who works at a real estate investment trust in San Diego. “If you see him in other settings, he’s the most fun guy out there. He’s always joking around.”

It’s undoubtedly a sign of my wide-eyed optimism that I often fall for campaign gimmicks — from Herman Cain singing “Impossible Dream” to Jon Huntsman’s vamping at the keyboards to this — but it does seem to me that Romney’s case that, as a person at least, he has lived consistently and conservatively continues to acquire greater credibility. I first began to follow Josh Romney on Twitter when somebody retweeted a tweet of his that included a picture of his dad and mom sitting in a couple of hotel armchairs in advance of a GOP debate. When I looked at the picture, I felt an overpowering sense of comfort. Here was a familiar scene. How many times — in advance of some event — has my dad, in button-down shirt and jeans (which happened to be what Romney was wearing in the picture), sat across from mom in a little hotel sitting area, talking about this or that idea? Does any of this make Mitt Romney politically other than he has always been? Of course not. But his sons’ presence on the trail reminds me that we have and could do worse than to nominate him or any of this year’s supposedly “weak” GOP candidates.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 5

“My dad’s image couldn’t be further from the truth.”

“farther”

Just sayin’

mankai on December 30, 2011 at 6:07 PM

Who’s your daddy!

lorien1973 on December 30, 2011 at 6:08 PM

Funny, I thought it was Congress that controlled the purse strings.

rbj on December 30, 2011 at 6:09 PM

“Romney’s sons: Our dad is a total cheapskate who’d teach Congress to cut costs, too”

I’ll bet $10,000 that that’s another romnycare lie.

TeaPartyNation on December 30, 2011 at 6:09 PM

A somewhat pro-Romney article on HotAir… a pretty sure sign that times are changing. Bowing to the inevitable Tina? Romney’s going to be our candidate. I guess for those disappointed in that, it’s time to start stumping for a strong VP to get behind him.

luckedout26 on December 30, 2011 at 6:10 PM

According to RCP, one of the son’s has made a birther joke.

Omega_Rage on December 30, 2011 at 6:10 PM

So Willard is profligate with the taxpayer money (cough…cough Romneycare) and miserly with his own. And this is supposed to be a plus? The plain hard truth is that Romney is a creep with no political principles or integrity.

Spirit Crusher on December 30, 2011 at 6:11 PM

Yeah, I know, how many extravagant people do you know that buy only a huge massive amazingly well decked out mansion? Now that speaks volumes about his true down to earth cheapskateness of the man!

astonerii on December 30, 2011 at 6:11 PM

I’ll bet you 10 grand…

the_nile on December 30, 2011 at 6:13 PM

As president, my father Willard Romney will instruct the IRS to deem his taxes paid.

astonerii on December 30, 2011 at 6:13 PM

Are these the ones that are serving their country by campaining for mitt? He sure wasnt a cheapskate with MAs money and when the guys trying to fight back smears he never saw coming, i’m willing to bet he’ll waste his own money.

Flapjackmaka on December 30, 2011 at 6:13 PM

I’m guessing they didn’t need to be told to bathe, put on nice, clean clothes and cover up the tats?

catmman on December 30, 2011 at 6:13 PM

One of the big criticisms of Romney at this point that I have seen and with which I agree is that he shows no signs at all of being the type of POTUS who would finally and irrevocably start slowing the growth of the US Government Octopus.

He is coming across far more as a cautious tinkerer at best and not one who will start shutting down useless cabinet departments on Jaunary 21st.

Sacramento on December 30, 2011 at 6:14 PM

Who’s the worst candidate in the race?

“Well that would be hard to say sir. They’re all outstanding in their own way.”

Ted Torgerson on December 30, 2011 at 6:15 PM

and the lsm would rather focus on the birther issue which he indicated someone told him….

boy did they blow that out of context BIG TIME….

total outrage, natch

cmsinaz on December 30, 2011 at 6:15 PM

Non sequitur.

the_nile on December 30, 2011 at 6:15 PM

My kids have attended school on scholarships, grants and loans and have paid for their own cars. I doubt if Romney’s kids know anything about that. They live in a different universe, not that it’s bad but hearing them talk about running water isn’t particularly impressive.

Rose on December 30, 2011 at 6:16 PM

Mitt’s pampered sons think he’s just swell, therefore we should ignore the fact that Mitt’s a pandering flip-flopper with no core beliefs who will say anything to get elected and has a long history of decidely liberal positions on health care mandates, cap and trade, ethanol subsidies, and global warming, etc., etc.

Sorry, no sale. Not in the primaries, not in the general.

DB9 on December 30, 2011 at 6:17 PM

It’s always nice to have politicians with at least one relative who is a medical doctor. Then they wouldn’t be so eager to demagogue against physicians like Obama does every chance he gets.

haner on December 30, 2011 at 6:17 PM

Does Romney hope to win by peddling crap like this? Really?

promachus on December 30, 2011 at 6:17 PM

Who’s your daddy! Battier

lorien1973 on December 30, 2011 at 6:08 PM

go duke!

cmsinaz on December 30, 2011 at 6:17 PM

Obama must support private education and see the flaws evident in union-controlled public schools since he chooses to send his kids to a private school. He’ll be the worst nightmare the NEA and the DoE have ever seen!

/logic fail

mankai on December 30, 2011 at 6:17 PM

They look like nice guys.

Let’s hope they don’t get the usual Media treatment.

portlandon on December 30, 2011 at 6:17 PM

OT: how does bachmann have my email! I’ve never signed up for anything and i unsubscribed 2000000 times. Go away Bachmom

Flapjackmaka on December 30, 2011 at 6:18 PM

I can relate to a cheapskate. The commentariat clowns who stump for Romney on Hot Gas – not so much.

A cheapskate president like Calvin Coolidge returning unused appropriations and shuting down whole agencies would be refreshing.

WhatNot on December 30, 2011 at 6:18 PM

Now we’re expected to accept Mitt as our father.

How sick is that crap?

You will all become part of the Mitt Collective! Or else.

Dack Thrombosis on December 30, 2011 at 6:20 PM

Where’s Marie?

Fallon on December 30, 2011 at 6:20 PM

portlandon on December 30, 2011 at 6:17 PM

you know they will along with Ann…

cmsinaz on December 30, 2011 at 6:21 PM

The Romneys all seem like wonderful people. All those old pics and video clips of Mitt with his children are very heartwarming.

bluegill on December 30, 2011 at 6:21 PM

Of course Noonan wants Optics over Achievement.

We are not Children, Peggy.

Besides, those 50′s- 60′s father figure types are the ones who got us into this fiscal crisis.

“Daddy will make it all better. Here. Eat some ice cream.”

portlandon on December 30, 2011 at 6:21 PM

Now we’re expected to accept Mitt as our father.

How sick is that crap?

You will all become part of the Mitt Collective! Or else.

Dack Thrombosis on December 30, 2011 at 6:20 PM

Sensitive are we? That was Tina’s own commentary, not anything Romney and their sons have implied (other than the cheapass part).

haner on December 30, 2011 at 6:22 PM

Would this be the same cheapskate who spent $45 million of his own money in the 2008 primaries?

DB9 on December 30, 2011 at 6:22 PM

Not lookin’ for a daddy.

sharrukin on December 30, 2011 at 6:22 PM

Tina, nobody has a problem with Romney’s family credentials. He and his family seem quite nice. The problem with Romney is that he is NOT a leader and does NOT have the spine to take on Washington’s entrenched interests. He will merely continue to manage the decline. Before all the Romneybots jump all over me, I supported the guy in 2008, but there has been a hell of a lot of water under the bridge since then.

KickandSwimMom on December 30, 2011 at 6:23 PM

So,um,Romney’s Son will be a consultant then!
(lots a sarc)

canopfor on December 30, 2011 at 6:23 PM

Where’s Marie?

Fallon on December 30, 2011 at 6:20 PM

LOL!

“I’m a little bit country, Mitt’s a little bit rock & roll socialist.”

portlandon on December 30, 2011 at 6:23 PM

God, it’s a joke people. It’s not like he wrote how a newsletter about how to kill black people with an unregistered firearm and get away with it.

andy85719 on December 30, 2011 at 6:24 PM

KickandSwimMom on December 30, 2011 at 6:23 PM

So who’s the leader that you will support?

haner on December 30, 2011 at 6:24 PM

Tina : Whatever commenters here on “Hot Gas” think about Romney, is irrelevant to the fact you are really becoming quite good at this. Excellent. I look forward to reading your posts, more and more.

builderD on December 30, 2011 at 6:24 PM

OT: Bachmann PAC’s Iowa ad was rejected for shoddy quality. Really sad.

andy85719 on December 30, 2011 at 6:25 PM

Spirit Crusher on December 30, 2011 at 6:11 PM

My spirit is strangely uncrushed – actually totally unaffected – by your emotional problems.

“Creep”? – “no integrity”? – you’re forgetting your medication again bro.

InVinoVeritas on December 30, 2011 at 6:26 PM

They look like nice guys.

Let’s hope they don’t get the usual Media treatment.

portlandon on December 30, 2011 at 6:17 PM

They have a very nice family it seems. Those boys all look like their Dad though.

gophergirl on December 30, 2011 at 6:26 PM

astonerii on December 30, 2011 at 6:11 PM

Meh. I wouldn’t really expect him to live in a tarpaper and cardboard shack under the bridge.

whatcat on December 30, 2011 at 6:26 PM

What kinds of events, Tina? Did your dad have a measure of fame? Or was he a business or civic leader?

itsnotaboutme on December 30, 2011 at 6:28 PM

Ah, yes, them Romney boys, or, as they are also known, the “Vets,” due to the fact that Dada was once asked about their total lack of military service and he explained they were “serving their country” by working on his campaign.

By the way, Willard is of Vietnam age. When I was over there fightin’ away with John Kerry I don’t recall seeing Mittens around. of course, a helmet would have really mussed up his hair.

Horace on December 30, 2011 at 6:29 PM

O/T,I ahem,cannot believe,that this Mark Styn interview of
John Bolton who dropped a Fuel/Air Device on the Ron Paul
Camp,of Pure Common Sense,and Logic,hasn’t made its way
through the Iowaian Political Net!!
====================================

Mark Styn Fox News John Bolton Interview!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh Boy,Bolton,Aka,”Stash”,Politically Nuked Ron Paul!!!
(Sarc on the Nuke thingy)
————————-

Bolton slams Obama / Ron Pauls antiAmerican Foreign Policies
************************************************************

We cannot live in fantasy land with Ron Paul’s foreign policy,
**************************************************************
*************************************************************8

which is worse than Obama’s foreign policy.
Added: 8 hours ago
(Video-4:43)
===================

canopfor on December 30, 2011 at 6:08 AM

canopfor on December 30, 2011 at 6:30 PM

Haner, I would ideally like to see an Washington outsider as the nominee. However, whether they are an outsider or insider they must certainly be a fighter. My criteria is if the person is an insider (not my ideal situation) then he MUST be a fighter and not go along to get along. If it is an outsider, then they must still be a fighter because the diehards in Washington will do everything they can to control him. At this point, I like Gingrich or Santorum, because they know how to fight and they know their way around the system. Do I like everything about them–hell, no. With Romney, I KNOW I’m getting a guy with a jelly spine which means he will be easy pickings for the vultures in Washington.

KickandSwimMom on December 30, 2011 at 6:32 PM

Horace on December 30, 2011 at 6:29 PM

He wanted to be there man…

Romney said, “one of the two great regrets I have in life is I didn’t serve in the military. I’d love to have.” This echoes what he told the Boston Globe last June 24. “I longed in many respects to actually be in Vietnam and be representing our country there and in some ways it was frustrating not to feel like I was there as part of the troops that were fighting in Vietnam.”

But his evil twin brother wouldn’t allow it…

May 2, 1994. “I was not planning on signing up for the military. It was not my desire to go off and serve in Vietnam,” Romney told the Boston Herald.

sharrukin on December 30, 2011 at 6:33 PM

Horace on December 30, 2011 at 6:29 PM

It’s a family of war heroes, fighting for Mitts presidency…

the_nile on December 30, 2011 at 6:34 PM

Hot Air is now a seething pile of hate. Every time someone looks poised to win, distilled hate pours forth. We don’t discuss any issues anymore other than how much so-and-so hates so-and-so.

andy85719 on December 30, 2011 at 6:34 PM

“farther”

Just sayin’

mankai on December 30, 2011 at 6:07 PM

anal… just saying

Wade on December 30, 2011 at 6:35 PM

Because I really want a picturesque President that makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside. Those are the first qualities I look for in my candidate. ///

Really Tina, Romney’s entitled son’s should be the judge of weather or not Romney himself is a cheapskate. That’s hilarious to even consider. Romney considers himself destined for the nomination because of his privilege… I say, let’s make the rich boy work for it for a change. What has he done to deserve the nomination?

RanchTooth on December 30, 2011 at 6:35 PM

sharrukin on December 30, 2011 at 6:33 PM

Lol. You crack me up when your not busy keeping them honest. :)

KickandSwimMom on December 30, 2011 at 6:35 PM

He sure wasnt a cheapskate with MAs money

Really? Turning a 3 Billion dollar Massachusetts state deficit into
1 Billion dollar surplus.

Mitt Romney cut more government workers while Governor of Massachusetts than any other state in America.

Turning a -379 Million dollar deficit with the SLC Winter Olympics into 100 million dollar surplus.

joncoltonis on December 30, 2011 at 6:35 PM

Horace on December 30, 2011 at 6:29 PM

Horace:

If John Kerry,had some brilliance,back in the jungle,and wrapped that helmet,around his delicate Liberal *ss,he wouldn’t had to
endure,being shot in his rear!

And,John Kerry would of been ahead of the learning curve,of what is
now a cheerished and high-fine art,that is so often sought after,in
Democrat circles,

of,Liberal Political COVER YOUR *SS!!!
(sarc).

canopfor on December 30, 2011 at 6:36 PM

andy85719 on December 30, 2011 at 6:34 PM

why are you here then?

Wade on December 30, 2011 at 6:36 PM

Horace on December 30, 2011 at 6:29 PM

The boys fought honorably in the Battle of Huckabee, Horace. I think one of them even got a medal or a new Porsche from daddy.

Romney 2012: Barry needs a second term and Mitt’s our Kerry to do it!

Punchenko on December 30, 2011 at 6:37 PM

I admit that I am guilty of the hate spewing too, but I really wish we discussed issues.

andy85719 on December 30, 2011 at 6:37 PM

Say what you want about Mitt Romney, but if he’s the nominee, have fun with another four years of Obama, because while you may not wish to air Teddy Kennedy’s ad, you can bet Barack Obama’s outfit already has it updated and ready to go. I can see it now, can’t you?

Dark, scary pictures, gloom and doom, and a narrator:

..if you nominate Mitt Romney, between this and Romneycare and a number of glaring scars on his record, there’s no chance he’ll beat Obama, but at least you’ll have had the privilege of the GOP’s “inevitable nominee.”

Good luck with that.

Green eyed Lady on December 30, 2011 at 6:37 PM

He wanted to be there man…

But his evil twin brother wouldn’t allow it…

sharrukin on December 30, 2011 at 6:33 PM

It’s like he’s a notoriously false person.

Or just bipartisan , maybe bipolar?

the_nile on December 30, 2011 at 6:38 PM

Romney 2012: Barry needs a second term and Mitt’s our Kerry to do it!

Punchenko on December 30, 2011 at 6:37 PM

+1000.

Romney can’t pass the Voigt-Kampff test if his life depended on it. Soulless, just like Kerry.

RanchTooth on December 30, 2011 at 6:40 PM

What a bunch of spoiled brats.

They couldn’t be bothered to serve our country.

stenwin77 on December 30, 2011 at 6:40 PM

andy85719 on December 30, 2011 at 6:34 PM

You know, I believe you have added your share of the “hate” around here when any candidate other than Romney is being discussed. Just sayin . . .

KickandSwimMom on December 30, 2011 at 6:40 PM

Hey Willard,

Why did you take a $10M bailout for Bain Capital?

angryed on December 30, 2011 at 6:40 PM

Look at all those healthy young men, and not a one served in the military. Not a one! It’s shocking, really.

Mitt and (ALL five of his sons), Newt, Santorum ALL had better things to do than serve our nation in uniform. Such an EMBARRASSMENT.

Perry served. And as insane as Paul is, at least he served.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on December 30, 2011 at 6:41 PM

whatcat on December 30, 2011 at 6:26 PM

Don’t worry, he knocks those down.

More power to him but these images are going to make Cindy McCain look like a piker.

Fallon on December 30, 2011 at 6:42 PM

Goverment agencies and entitlements have been growing for the past 80 years. The power of public unions have made things that much worse. Not one POTUS from either party has done much of anything to slash entitlements, shut down goverment agencies, or take on the public sector unions. So if all these things are now necessary in order to stave off economic calamity, then we are asking the next GOP POTUS to do something that’s never been done before.

So why should we assume that a solid Conservative, like Sarah Palin, Jim DeMint, Jeff Sessions, Marco Rubio, etc, etc, would be more likely than Romney to do what needs to be done, when no one else has ever done it before?

Sure, it makes sense to think that this would be the case. On the other hand, Reagan did nothing when Islamic terrorists murdered hundreds of US Servicemen in Lebanon. And subsequent POTUS’ did nothing in response to further attacks. But when 9/11 happened, a new POTUS, who was percieved as a foreign policy novice, and campaigned as someone who wouldn’t get involved in nation building, rose to the occasion and did 20 times more to fight against terrorism than all his predecessors combined.

Here in New York, Liberals are accusing Andrew Cuomo of acting like a “teabagger” who is disgracing his father’s(ahem)good name, because he’s doing some of the things that need to be done in order to get the State’s fiscal house in order. He may not be going as far as Scott Walker, but he’s going in the opposite direction of Jerry Brown. If Cuomo (a Democrat), who obviously has Presidential aspirations, is doing as much right as he’s doing (out of necessity), why should we assume that Romney won’t do a lot more (out of necessity), if that’s what it takes to keep us from going off the cliff?

All you Romney haters are free to have your doubts. But please tell me which POTUS serves as the model that needs to be followed? Who has done all the things that you’re all so sure that Romney won’t do?

ardenenoch on December 30, 2011 at 6:42 PM

As much as we disdain Obama’s class warfare, many on here seem perfectly fine engaging in the wealth hate. Some of the posts on here, hint hint Ranch Tooth, sound like post from Daily Kos.

andy85719 on December 30, 2011 at 6:42 PM

When I was over there fightin’ away with John Kerry

Horace on December 30, 2011 at 6:29 PM

BFD. Querry was there only long enough to manufacture wounds, then leave his charge while he took his sorry ass home. BTY you are my hero, you fought with Querry all the while looking for Mitt Romney.

Wade on December 30, 2011 at 6:42 PM

luckedout26 on December 30, 2011 at 6:10 PM

huh? Every articel here is pro-Romney. Or if not pro-Romney, anti-Ron Paul, anti-Newt or anti-Santorum.

angryed on December 30, 2011 at 6:42 PM

Yeah, a real cheapskate… SEVEN FREAKIN HOUSES.

Nice try, Junior, nice try.

stenwin77 on December 30, 2011 at 6:43 PM

RanchTooth on December 30, 2011 at 6:35 PM

He paid for it?..

the_nile on December 30, 2011 at 6:43 PM

andy85719 on December 30, 2011 at 6:42 PM

You’re right. I’m sick and tired of people bitching about Newt earning $1.6M while working as a consultant for Freddie Mac. It has to end. Now.

angryed on December 30, 2011 at 6:44 PM

The New Kennedy Klan. That is what this picture exudes.

When I was a kid, I grew up poor and on welfare. It was these kids in their sweaters with collars and weeguns that turned my stomach.

They still do. No more weeguns.

Key West Reader on December 30, 2011 at 6:44 PM

andy85719 on December 30, 2011 at 6:42 PM

Who is this we that you speak of? I find it funny when Romney bots post about non-Romney in a Romney post.

Shouldn’t you be phone-banking for Romney?

Midwestprincesse on December 30, 2011 at 6:44 PM

maybe bipolar?

the_nile on December 30, 2011 at 6:38 PM

I never thought of that, but that makes PERECT sense!! He’s more than a “flip-flopper” ala Kerry, it’s more like there are two Mitt’s each saying the opposite of each other. CREEEEPY.

Aslans Girl on December 30, 2011 at 6:44 PM

KickandSwimMom on December 30, 2011 at 6:40 PM

That was when they were going after Sarah Palin. Now its completely different. Now its Romney in the firing line! The madness has to stop! /

sharrukin on December 30, 2011 at 6:44 PM

Why does it seem kinda creepy..in a sort of “Stepford Wives”(sons), or “Westworld” way?
Have they all been engineered?
Is it just me?…why don’t I know anybody with the vibe that those folks got comin’ off ‘em?

Mimzey on December 30, 2011 at 6:45 PM

andy85719 on December 30, 2011 at 6:42 PM

Absolutely correct.

We must stop disparaging Newt for earning $1.6M as a consultant for Freddie Mac.

angryed on December 30, 2011 at 6:45 PM

KickandSwimMom on December 30, 2011 at 6:40 PM

Obviously you can’t read as I made that point already. I just question how constructive it is to just bash and bash the person everyone already knows is going to be the nominee. Perhaps your a fatalist like angryed and want Obama to win in a landslide.

Also, I was not always a Romney supporter. I was for Perry until he self-destructed. Then I was for Cain until he self-destructed. Then I was for Newt, but it ain’t looking good for him (Fannie-Freddie, etc.), so I moved onto Romney.

andy85719 on December 30, 2011 at 6:46 PM

Romney is shockingly brazen with his strategic abandonment of positions when convenient. Political integrity comes from standing firm in the face of adversity and the doubt/skepticism of others, something that Romney has never been able to do because he’s always in search of the next office and in crafting the campaign persona necessary to secure it. It’s not surprising that Romney has suffered the political losses he has.

Disposable political principles and positions are indicative of underlying character flaws.

The plain and simple truth is that Romney is an unreliable and unprincipled individual as demonstrated by his own well documented public record.

Spirit Crusher on December 30, 2011 at 6:46 PM

angryed on December 30, 2011 at 6:42 PM

There’s a pro-Santorum article on the site now.
Ed used to be in T-Paw’s camp (me, too).
Tina used to be pro-Bachmann.
But we’re getting a clue.
When will you?

itsnotaboutme on December 30, 2011 at 6:47 PM

Its either Newt or Perry.

Either/both of them are proven leaders.

This candyass portrait of the romney sons of privilege is disgusting to me. Not that it matters, but they just remind me of the jock that would spit at me as I ordered a Coke at the High School football game.

Romney… Elite. Ewe.

Key West Reader on December 30, 2011 at 6:47 PM

Question: What’s the only difference between Obamacare and Romneycare?

Answer: Romneycare mandates health policies cover abortion. Obamacae doesn’t.

Obamacare is more conservative than Romneycare.

angryed on December 30, 2011 at 6:48 PM

andy85719 on December 30, 2011 at 6:46 PM

So you follow the “Musical Chairs” strategy to supporting candidates?

Sounds fun.

portlandon on December 30, 2011 at 6:49 PM

Absolutely correct.

angryed on December 30, 2011 at 6:45 PM

I don’t suppose you’d give us your pick.

/double negative

Key West Reader on December 30, 2011 at 6:49 PM

“My dad’s image couldn’t be further from the truth.”

“farther”

Just sayin’

mankai on December 30, 2011 at 6:07 PM

Further, adv.

Pronunciation: /ˈfɜːðə(r)/

Forms: OE–ME furð-, furþor, OE Northumb. forðer, -ur, -or, ME furð-, furþer ( furthir), ME forðere, -ðre, -þer(e, -þir, -thir(e, ME–15 forther(e, (ME forer), ME furþere, ME–16 furder, ME forder, (15 fourther), 15– further. See also farther adv.

Etymology: Old English furðor = Old Saxon furthor (early modern Dutch voorder); for the formation, and the relation to Gothic faurþis, Old High German furdir, etc.: see further adj.

1. To or at a more advanced point of progress:

a. of space; lit. and fig.; occas. with omission of go. Proverb, to go further, and fare worse. (Cf. farther adv. 1a.)

b. of time. (Cf. farther adv. 1b.)

2. To a greater extent; more. (Cf. farther adv. 2.)

3. In addition, additionally; moreover. (Cf. farther adv. 3.)

a. At a greater distance in space; sometimes with mixture of sense 1. Also †more further, further off. (Cf. farther adv. 4.)

b. Phrases. †to be further: to get on. †I’ll be further, if (etc.); I’ll see you further (first): strong forms of refusal. to wish any one further: i.e. to wish him away. See also farther adv. 4.

†c. Used as the comparative of far, as in further-fetched, compar. of far-fetched.

From the OED, from which also:

farther, adv. and adj.

Pronunciation: /ˈfɑːðə(r)/

Forms: ME–15 ferder, ferdre, ME ferþer(e, ME–15 ferthere, ME–17 farder, ME– farther.

Etymology: Middle English ferþer (whence by normal phonetic development farther) is in origin a mere variant of further n., due probably to the analogy of the vb. ferþren < Old English fyrðrian to further v. The primary sense of further, farther is ‘more forward, more onward’; but this sense is practically coincident with that of the comparative of far, where the latter word refers to real or attributed motion in some particular direction. Hence further, farther came to be used as the comparative of far; first in the special application just mentioned, and ultimately in all senses, displacing the regular comparative farrer . In standard English the form farther is usually preferred where the word is intended to be the comparative of far, while further is used where the notion of far is altogether absent; there is a large intermediate class of instances in which the choice between the two forms is arbitrary.

A. adv.

1. More forward; to or at a more advanced point.
a. in space, or in a course of procedure or development.
b. in time: Longer.
c. farther gone phr. at a more advanced stage.

2. To a greater extent, more completely.

3. In addition, also, besides, moreover.

4. To or at a greater distance; by a greater interval. to wish (any one) farther .

B. adj.

†1. Prior, anterior; front; = further adj. 1. Obs.

2. More extended, going beyond what already exists or has been dealt with, additional, more.

a. More distant, remoter.
b. Farther East n. = Far East n.

Compounds
Comb., as farther-spreading adj.

…Just sayin’.

Tzetzes on December 30, 2011 at 6:50 PM

But we’re getting a clue.
When will you?

itsnotaboutme on December 30, 2011 at 6:47 PM

If you want to vote for the guy who wrote a more liberal version of Obamacare, who raised $550M in new taxes as gov, who reneged on a promise to lower the MA state income tax and who instituted Cap N Trade in MA, go ahead.

I prefer not to do that.

Wonder why this type of stuff is never written about on HotAir:

The records, gleaned from White House visitor logs reviewed by NBC News, show that senior White House officials had a dozen meetings in 2009 with three health-care advisers and experts who helped shape the health care reform law signed by Romney in 2006, when the Republican presidential candidate was governor of Massachusetts. One of those meetings, on July 20, 2009, was in the Oval Office and presided over by President Barack Obama, the records show.

“The White House wanted to lean a lot on what we’d done in Massachusetts,” said Jon Gruber, an MIT economist who advised the Romney administration on health care and who attended five meetings at the Obama White House in 2009, including the meeting with the president. “They really wanted to know how we can take that same approach we used in Massachusetts and turn that into a national model.” [...]
Romney is “the father of health-care reform,” said Gruber. “I think he is the single person most responsible for health care reform in the United States. … I’m not trying to make a political position or a political statement, I honestly feel that way. If Mitt Romney had not stood up for this reform in Massachusetts … I don’t think it would have happened nationally. So I think he really is the guy with whom it all starts.”

angryed on December 30, 2011 at 6:51 PM

Meant to block quote it:

Romney is “the father of health-care reform,” said Gruber.

angryed on December 30, 2011 at 6:52 PM

portlandon on December 30, 2011 at 6:49 PM

No, I’m just smart enough to see the writing on the wall and not hold on to a dead carcass.

andy85719 on December 30, 2011 at 6:53 PM

Mitt, shut your kids up. They’re not helping.

Capitalist Hog on December 30, 2011 at 6:53 PM

Romney… Elite. Ewe.

Key West Reader on December 30, 2011 at 6:47 PM

Key West Reader:Team Hope/Change in this Election Campaign,
will be calling Mitt Romney,the 1%,and privledged!
——-:)

Le Ugh!!

canopfor on December 30, 2011 at 6:53 PM

KWR, haven’t you heard, angryed wants Obama for four more.

andy85719 on December 30, 2011 at 6:54 PM

Josh Romney said. “He is also tremendously cheap.”

Nothing could make me feel better about Romney than this!

thuja on December 30, 2011 at 6:54 PM

“farther”

Just sayin’

mankai on December 30, 2011 at 6:07 PM

Romney kids: 1
mankai: 0

haner on December 30, 2011 at 6:56 PM

Jonathan Gruber, MIT professor: “The truth is that the Affordable Care Act is essentially based on what we accomplished in Massachusetts. It’s the same basic structure applied nationally. John McDonough, one of the other advisers,who work in both Massachusetts and advised the White House said ‘it’s the Massachusetts with three more zeros.’ And that’s basically a good description of what the federal bill did.”

Gruber says Massachusetts received some federal funding for Romney’s healthcare reform, meaning all U.S. taxpayers chipped in to fund RomneyCare.

But don’t you dare compare RomneyCare to ObamaCare.

angryed on December 30, 2011 at 6:56 PM

I continue to endorse Catastrophic Asteroid Strike 2012.

My top VP pick currently being Supernova Gamma Ray Burst.

Hollowpoint on December 30, 2011 at 6:56 PM

So you don’t like them because of how they look reminds of you of other people? Really? Say what you want about Romney as a presidential candidate, but he seems to have a pretty stable and successful family. Just because they’re wealthy doesn’t mean they’re inherently awful people.

Kriggly on December 30, 2011 at 6:56 PM

andy85719 on December 30, 2011 at 6:46 PM

Gee, andy85719, I can read, but I think you really need to read “How to Win Friends and Influence People,” because you will never win friends or respect when you start your post with “Obviously you can’t read . . ” Did you think that I was going to pay any attention to your post after that bomb?? Talk about spreading the hate . . .

KickandSwimMom on December 30, 2011 at 6:57 PM

So you follow the “Musical Chairs” strategy to supporting candidates?

Sounds fun.

portlandon on December 30, 2011 at 6:49 PM

Andy always seemed like a Romney supporter to me.

The bigger question: Where’s Brutus and Jailbreak? I’m sure JB will come back to us about the beach. I think he’s a WC’er. I could be wrong.

Midwestprincesse on December 30, 2011 at 6:57 PM