Poll: Obamateurism of the Year, Semi-Final Flight 2

posted at 8:05 am on December 30, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

We’re down to the second semi-final flight for the Obamateurism of the Year, in which we choose the last two finalists for tomorrow’s poll. Yesterday, readers picked Barack Obama’s lament that it would be easier to lead a nation where freedom doesn’t matter as one of the two semi-finalists, and for the other, his facepalm moment in identifying a posthumous recipient of the Medal of Honor as the non-posthumous recipient to whom he himself had presented the honor.  Had I been a betting man, I would have predicted the botched toast to Queen Elizabeth would have taken one of those positions — but this is why I conduct these polls rather than pick ‘em myself!  This was also the most-voted poll of the series … so far, at least.

Which Obamateuerisms will win the top two spots in today’s poll and advance to tomorrow’s final?  Will it be change we can’t believe in tomorrow, or taking separate planes on the same day?  Will it be making all the right economic choices, or choosing to scare seniors?  All I know is that it had better be the greatest gaffes in world history, with the possible exception of whatever Joe Biden said this week.

• When I said, “change we can believe in,” I didn’t say “change we can believe in tomorrow.”
  • President & First Lady take separate jets to Martha’s Vineyard 4 hours apart
  • Claims he’s made “all right choices” on economy, adviser disagrees
  • “I would put our legislative and foreign policy accomplishments in our first two years against any president— with the possible exceptions of Johnson, F.D.R., and Lincoln.”
  • Says he won’t use scare tactics, 2 weeks later says Social Security checks may not go out

Tomorrow morning — the big year-end final poll!

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I picked ’4th bestest president EVAH,’ and I’m assuming it’ll win in a landslide.

Good Solid B-Plus on December 30, 2011 at 8:09 AM

As long as he has himself, Scooter will never be alone.

kingsjester on December 30, 2011 at 8:09 AM

He’s a legend in his own mind!

OldWeaselKeeper on December 30, 2011 at 8:09 AM

Spent an hour last night arguing with very liberal son. He agrees that Zero will go down in history as one of the greatest presidents. Unbelievable.

esr1951 on December 30, 2011 at 8:10 AM

Going through the first flight, I didn’t think there would be a runaway winner this year. But our fourth-greatest president ever might have done it, after all.

NeighborhoodCatLady on December 30, 2011 at 8:10 AM

Went with all the right choices

Dang tough to pick they are all worthy

cmsinaz on December 30, 2011 at 8:12 AM

It’s just gotta be fourth best evah!

angrymike on December 30, 2011 at 8:13 AM

I know the feeling, Ed. I think there has been only one of these OOTY polls where my pick carried the day, and the toast was my choice above all. I went with the separate flights, because the arrogance of it and lack of consideration for the taxpayers rankles me so much, but I know the comparison to other presidents is the prohibitive favorite in this one.

backwoods conservative on December 30, 2011 at 8:14 AM

Holy cats! Number 4 leads by a mile.

The arrogance of zer0 can scarcely be matched. Even the libtards who censored out this part of the interview are embarassed for him–and libtards aren’t wont to feel shame.

MisterElephant on December 30, 2011 at 8:14 AM

esr1951 on December 30, 2011 at 8:10 AM

You know, it’s never too late to put him up for adoption, even if he’s 30. :)

Good Solid B-Plus on December 30, 2011 at 8:15 AM

esr1951 on December 30, 2011 at 8:10 AM

Sounds like his indoctrination went well.

Rio Linda Refugee on December 30, 2011 at 8:15 AM

Ch-ch-ch-changes.

When Obowma said change, he meant for the worse.

Philly on December 30, 2011 at 8:17 AM

Hands down, best president evah! We are blessed to have him in our lifetime! /

herm2416 on December 30, 2011 at 8:17 AM

4th bestest president ever wins the whole thing going away.

Trafalgar on December 30, 2011 at 8:17 AM

#4 hands down.Somewhere Jimmuh Peanuts must be smiling.

jeffinsjvca on December 30, 2011 at 8:17 AM

For once this was an easy choice. Hands down the arrogance of deciding that you might be the 4th best President ever and quite possibly the best one shows an arrogance that proves just how disassoicated Obama is from reality. He really thinks he is royalty and the entire government is in place to fulfill his every whim.

Happy Nomad on December 30, 2011 at 8:18 AM

Obama is the same as Rush describes as his audience. “A rank amateur”. It goes way beyond one event. That’s why it is so difficult to choose. A legend in his own mind is my choice. (4th best President)

dhugh on December 30, 2011 at 8:18 AM

Wonder if he has a designer working on a statue or working to get his head up on mount Rushmore?

angrymike on December 30, 2011 at 8:18 AM

Couldn’t get past Lincoln, even with a Nobel. It was close though, that pesky emancipation thing Lincoln accomplished was hard to overcome.

But beating Kennedy, easy as a Friday afternoon drive with the top down….oh wait….

RAGIN CAJUN on December 30, 2011 at 8:18 AM

Ed – you need to run an OOTM during the year. Pick the best of the month to run for OOTY.

These choices are too hard. But 4th place suits the man, in a two person race.

EliTheBean on December 30, 2011 at 8:19 AM

The closest this imbecilic putz will ever get to embodying our 16th President, is to sleep in the Lincoln bedroom.

Flora Duh on December 30, 2011 at 8:19 AM

I still don’t know how he could be in 4th if he makes “all right choices”. Good news, nic “Dear Leader” is officially up for grabs.

Fallon on December 30, 2011 at 8:20 AM

It’s hard not to go with #1. His whole campaign was based on this “change” nonsense. What he did with this statement is admit to all the fools that voted for him that they voted for an empty suit making empty promises.

hoofhearted on December 30, 2011 at 8:22 AM

#4.

runner-up, #2.

listens2glenn on December 30, 2011 at 8:22 AM

Neighborhoodcatlady
I see why you live with you cats! ;-)

angrymike on December 30, 2011 at 8:23 AM

Oops wrong name sorry no coffee yet.

angrymike on December 30, 2011 at 8:24 AM

Imma give them other 3 presidents their time to finish but Beyonce Barack Obama has the best video is the 4th best president of all timmmme.

/kanyay west

ted c on December 30, 2011 at 8:25 AM

We’re Number Four!
We’re Number Four!
We’re Number Four!
NOT Number ONE but Number FOUR! Which Place Are WE?
Number Four! Number Four! Number Four!
Yay!

ExpressoBold on December 30, 2011 at 8:26 AM

You know, it’s never too late to put him up for adoption, even if he’s 30. :)

Good Solid B-Plus on December 30, 2011 at 8:15 AM

Sigh. He has given me two adorable grandchildren. I must try to be good.

esr1951 on December 30, 2011 at 8:27 AM

angrymike on December 30, 2011 at 8:18 AM

The only self-effacing truth I’ve ever heard the man say, is that his head wouldn’t fit on Mt. Rushmore because his ears are too big.

Flora Duh on December 30, 2011 at 8:28 AM

Somewhere between first and fourth greatest prez evah. Better than George Washington.

*spit*

petefrt on December 30, 2011 at 8:30 AM

Flora Duh on December 30, 2011 at 8:28 AM

That can only mean one thing… he wants his own mountain.

ExpressoBold on December 30, 2011 at 8:33 AM

Ever wonder if Obama channels Susan Lucci in front of mirror at Camp David while adorned in one of Michelle’s moo moo’s?

RAGIN CAJUN on December 30, 2011 at 8:33 AM

Ding ding ding EB @8:33

cmsinaz on December 30, 2011 at 8:37 AM

Some of the comments refer to the 4th-best-president ever, but Dear Leader said “the possible exceptions”. That’s the best-ever’s form of false modesty.

Sowell Disciple on December 30, 2011 at 8:39 AM

Oh lord its hard to humble when your the best president ever, with the faint possibility that maybe…and let me be clear I inherited a mess so its just a maybe that Lincoln, FDR & Johnson were ever so slightly ahead of me.

philly_PA on December 30, 2011 at 8:46 AM

*spit*

petefrt on December 30, 2011 at 8:30 AM

Did that hack George Washington stop the rising of the oceans and heal the planet?

Didn’t think so.

See? Dear Leader is better.

hoofhearted on December 30, 2011 at 8:46 AM

Can you imagine…if Ooga Booga had been a republican president, he would have been impeached long ago.

Long haired country boy on December 30, 2011 at 8:51 AM

I picked 4th best president. The only problem is that was fake humility. He really thinks he’s the best king ever.

The Rogue Tomato on December 30, 2011 at 8:51 AM

Can we just cut to the chase and make #4 the winner for the year?

IdrilofGondolin on December 30, 2011 at 8:52 AM

I’m sure he thinks himself the #1 best president ever but for fear of sounding arrogant he said he was only #4.

tinkerthinker on December 30, 2011 at 8:52 AM

Long haired country boy on December 30, 2011 at 8:51 AM

And his attorney general would be in prison.

Flora Duh on December 30, 2011 at 8:55 AM

He’s simply the best. Better than all the rest.

/puke

Key West Reader on December 30, 2011 at 8:56 AM

Tomato
Fake humility? This man can’t even spell humility! Must not been part of the indoctrination!

angrymike on December 30, 2011 at 8:56 AM

esr1951 on December 30, 2011 at 8:10 AM

Wow. He’s got it bad. You’re gonna need a deprogrammer.

lynncgb on December 30, 2011 at 8:58 AM

Had to go with taking separate jets to the Vineyard.
That’s another stupid thing they DID!
Everything else was BS rhetoric, and I’m so used to his mouth running all the time and everything being a lie, I don’t pay any attention anymore, to what JugEars SAYS!

KOOLAID2 on December 30, 2011 at 9:00 AM

On #4, those are all Presidents that I despise. FDR’s leadership in World War II was great, but one must not forget he was the FIRST “El Presidente for life” only leaving office when he died, breaking Washington’s precedent of 2 terms only, staying in office long enough to pack the courts and forever cement into “law” that the commerce clause pretty much lets the federal government do anything it damn well pleases.

LBJ doubled down on FDR’s socialist policies.

And Lincoln… Lincoln, again, great war leader, but he was the man who set the PRECEDENT that there were circumstances in which the Constitution be dammed, our civil rights are NOT “inalienable” like our founding documents state. Lincoln made FDR possible which made LBJ possible which made Obama possible.

We never would have had a law that allows the government to detain anyone they please (citizen or not) indefinitely and without charge or due process if Lincoln hadn’t set the precedent.

I throw up in my mouth a little when people list Lincoln amongst the greatest Presidents. And he gets too much credit for ending slavery. The emancipation proclimation only applied to states that had SECCEDED. And he only went even THAT far because the North’s war effort was foundering and he needed a propoganda tool to justify continuing the war. The fact that all slavery was ended was more the work of the Republican Congress than Lincoln.

wildcat72 on December 30, 2011 at 9:00 AM

tinkerthinker on December 30, 2011 at 8:52 AM

He doesn’t think of himself as a President but as a Divine Right Emperor. With himself as the divine authority.

wildcat72 on December 30, 2011 at 9:03 AM

esr1951 on December 30, 2011 at 8:10 AM

Oo sorry…one of mine was dating a Paul fan(atic). So glad it didn’t work out.

tinkerthinker on December 30, 2011 at 9:04 AM

esr1951 on December 30, 2011 at 8:10 AM

This is why I am convinced that liberals either walk around with virtual blinders on 24/7/365, are totally unclear on the concept to the degree it could be considered a mental disorder, or they live in a reality that is completely separated from what folk like you and I would consider to be normal. Regardless how you slice it, liberals scare the daylights out of me, especially when they are in any position of power or authority. That is where they can do the most irreparable damage.

pilamaye on December 30, 2011 at 9:04 AM

It’s so unfortunate that “I’m the greatest” has to go up against the separate flights 4 hours apart, because that certainly deserves to be No. 2 for the year …

lizzieillinois on December 30, 2011 at 9:04 AM

Can we just cut to the chase and make #4 the winner for the year?

IdrilofGondolin on December 30, 2011 at 8:52 AM

I think it will be between that one and Dear Leader’s lament that he has to put up with democratic dissent unlike the ChiCOM dictator. I think the “I wish I were a dictator like the ChiCOM “president” will be the ultimate winner. That was the most revealing remark about his true character and goals he has ever uttered.

wildcat72 on December 30, 2011 at 9:05 AM

esr1951 on December 30, 2011 at 8:10 AM

Couldn’t you have done something more productive with that hour? Like staring at a fence post?

Finbar on December 30, 2011 at 9:09 AM

Actually it’s true, he did have a lot of legislative and foreign policy accomplishments. They just happen to be destructive ones.
I went with the 2 planes; expense be damned, nothing is too good for the king and his queen living on the taxpayer dime. Didn’t the dog get his own plane on one of those vacations?

saspepper on December 30, 2011 at 9:10 AM

wildcat72 on December 30, 2011 at 9:03 AM

If he wins another term he would call himself the Divine Left Emperor of Authority. It would hurt him too much to say ‘right’.

tinkerthinker on December 30, 2011 at 9:10 AM

At least win, place, and show finish in the money.

VietVet_Dave on December 30, 2011 at 9:16 AM

Wow, tough choice. So much evil and stupidity to choose from!

WannabeAnglican on December 30, 2011 at 9:16 AM

4th best evah. Solid B+

Boodad on December 30, 2011 at 9:28 AM

Hey, why do you think he got that Nobel?

talkingpoints on December 30, 2011 at 9:28 AM

This one was easy for a change… #4

Keemo on December 30, 2011 at 9:28 AM

4th worst president ever. And closing in on the #1 spot. Hasn’t yet helped create a bit of unpleasantness between the states. Yet.

rbj on December 30, 2011 at 9:30 AM

#4 Easy. Whats surprising is that His Excellency President for Life, Field Marshal Dr. Idi Amin Obama acknowledged 3 other people that did a better job.

PaulK on December 30, 2011 at 9:46 AM

angrymike on December 30, 2011 at 8:18 AM

Doubtful.

For one thing, the artist would need to get a full view of the subjects head and sadly, Pres. Obama’s is firmly wedged up his bottom, if you go by his last 4 years in office….

/sarc.

Note: No politician was harmed in the making of this comment.

BlaxPac on December 30, 2011 at 9:51 AM

Dammit! I really wanted to pick number 2, but I guess that one only shows us who’s wearing the pants in the White House, and it doesn’t start with a “B”.
Number 4 pretty much takes the cake, though, and I think it’ll be OOTY.

tpitman on December 30, 2011 at 9:52 AM

#4. Hey, Putz, just go on and call yourself the greatest (most destructive) president ever, call it a day, and disappear.

Peppa Pig on December 30, 2011 at 9:53 AM

Hmmm, my brain must be wired differently on this one. Such an overwhelming vote for “4th best,” yet I see his statement as pretty accurate. 0bama’s done a heck of a lot, both with legislation and foreign policy…. just very destructive. He’s managed to abet Muslim tyranny all over the Mid-East, wreck health care, bottle up energy development, bankrupt us, defund Social Security, lose Iraq and Afghanistan with early withdrawal, etc., etc.

That’s not a 0bamateurism – that’s success. Give him credit where credit’s due.

cane_loader on December 30, 2011 at 9:55 AM

saspepper on December 30, 2011 at 9:10 AM

That’s what I say.

cane_loader on December 30, 2011 at 9:56 AM

I’d still like to know if they actually flew Bo the dog back from Hawaii for a photo op. Heard rumors, but wasn’t sure it was true.

If so, spending thousands of taxpayer dollars to fly a dog back for a political appearance is pretty crazy.

cane_loader on December 30, 2011 at 9:58 AM

It’s just gotta be fourth best evah!

angrymike on December 30, 2011 at 8:13 AM

Hey, good luck this weekend! I hope the answer is yes ! : )

herm2416 on December 30, 2011 at 9:59 AM

Hahahaha. The 4th best president and his Moochelle took flights 4 hours apart only because he makes all the right choices! Again, I stand in awe that the majority of US citizens (dead, alive and illegal) could elect such a person to the highest office in the land. It’s totally astounding.

My hubby loves to watch the beginning of Jay Leno (or David Letterman) before he goes to bed because of the jokes. I can’t believe that people thing the jokes about Rick Perry and Herman Cain are “funny” when they have a baffoon beyond imagination in the office right now – and of course Jay and David NEVER mention any of Obummer’s “mistakes”.

katablog.com on December 30, 2011 at 10:08 AM

Says he won’t use scare tactics, 2 weeks later says Social Security checks may not go out

Hope & Change. He was going to change how things were done in D.C.

Politician = hollow promises.

Dr Evil on December 30, 2011 at 10:13 AM

“I would put choice #4 up against any number – with the possible exception of #5 and #3. “

VibrioCocci on December 30, 2011 at 10:16 AM

Isn’t 4th place just 3rd place loser?

44Magnum on December 30, 2011 at 10:18 AM

#4. The hubris is strong in this one. There is an ancient proverb that deals with this. “Pride goes before a fall” The only problem is he just might take us all down with him to.

chemman on December 30, 2011 at 10:22 AM

#4! The arrogant boob is auditioning for a spot on mount rushmore or maybe his very own mountain. My guess is he is in Hawaii to look at a suitable peak in the Koolau range.

JimboHoffa on December 30, 2011 at 10:23 AM

As we learned early this morning, that “foreign policy accomplishments” thing kinda went south in Egypt, eh?
This has become SOP for President SmartPower, aka “Captain Kickäss”, choosing to side with whoever disdains America – thugs who are a viable threat to America and her interests. Before long, the Muslim Brotherhood will have a big chunk of their Islamic Caliphate signed, sealed, and delivered.
And we owe it all to “the fourth best President ever”.
George Washington knew how to deal with mouthy traitors, maybe that’s why O’Bumbler didn’t include him in the pantheon, the one that exists only in the mind of King Barack the Growth Slayer.
What an embarrassment.

~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus on December 30, 2011 at 10:25 AM

pilamaye on December 30, 2011 at 9:04 AM

Mental disorder – no question about it. Just talk to my crazy Uncle from Northern California for about 15 minutes.

Spark Chaser on December 30, 2011 at 10:41 AM

esr1951 on December 30, 2011 at 8:10 AM

They said that about Kennedy in 1963 when he was killed. 40+ years later he is looked back as highly mediocre and everyone now knows he was addicted to pain killers and was a womanizing whore.

Assuming we have a country in 40+ years, Obama will be looked upon as a big disaster, similar to the really bad presidents we had about a 100 years ago. However, in my lifetime, I never thought we would exceed Carter in electing another incompetent president.

My most memorable events about Carter’s term are these:

1) When the Iranian crazies overtook our embassy and broke every international law in the books with the hostage crisis, he was whimpering under his desk crying foul, they broke the rules. Meanwhile, when the crazies tried to sack the USSR embassy around the same time, the head dude there called the mullahs in Iran and threatened to wipe Iran off the map if they didn’t get the crazies away from the USSR embassy.

and

2) Once the embargo started because of Carter’s ineptness in dealing with the hostage crisis, his answer to our energy crisis was to PUT ON A SWEATER!!!!!!!!!!!

And we managed to elect someone even WORSE now.

karenhasfreedom on December 30, 2011 at 10:43 AM

0bama is the most humble president. He knows he is the mostest bestest president evah but puts some other clear losers above him.

Humility = 0bama.

jukin3 on December 30, 2011 at 10:56 AM

#2 is such a non issue, I’m amazed it’s even on the list. It’s standard procedure to not have the President and VP not on the same flight, in case the plane goes down. I know married couples who travel a lot and have the same arrangement, so if something happens, one of them will still be around to take care of the kids. It’s no big deal.

Had to go with #4. #1, #3 and #5 are just your typical 0bama lies, but the 4th greatest president statement is a real whopper.

UltimateBob on December 30, 2011 at 11:04 AM

Good Solid B-Plus on December 30, 2011 at 8:09 AM

Nice assumption B+. Now can you tell me who really was on the grassy knoll?

Rovin on December 30, 2011 at 11:05 AM

esr1951 on December 30, 2011 at 8:10 AM

Your very liberal son just knows who writes the history books these days.

UnrepentantCurmudgeon on December 30, 2011 at 11:05 AM

Check out my username. Trust me, you are right.

exliberal on December 30, 2011 at 11:06 AM

As I saw it, there was a pic of Obama shopping at a Petsmart (guess the Target was closed) with Bo at his side after Bo reportedly had been flown to Hawaii with Mama Obama and kinder, so the inference was that Bo had been flown back for this little exercise in showing the homespun Prez. Never saw any confirmation about the flights.

UnrepentantCurmudgeon on December 30, 2011 at 11:09 AM

#4 – what a go to DUDE — man o man — that is all

nchammer on December 30, 2011 at 11:19 AM

The geeeeeeeeeenius of foreign policy.

Tim_CA on December 30, 2011 at 11:23 AM

I would say he is the # 1 President…at screwing up!!!

logicman_1998 on December 30, 2011 at 11:57 AM

The #4th – Solid B plus choice. It is the perfect amalgam of his incompetence and narcissism, in which can recall all his failures and his arrogant elitism in one short sentence.

It seems he always manages to do one thing at the end of the year that turns out to be a great OOTY for that particular year. It is almost as if he reads Hot Gas! :)

Mutnodjmet on December 30, 2011 at 12:05 PM

Isn’t 4th place just 3rd place loser?

44Magnum on December 30, 2011 at 10:18 AM

This!

GrannyDee on December 30, 2011 at 12:09 PM

Is obama such a sicko that he actually believes he great? The arrogant little pissant grifter is the worst of the worst.

jqc1970 on December 30, 2011 at 12:16 PM

#4
Oh Lord, it’s hard to be humble.….;-)

Green eyed Lady on December 30, 2011 at 12:16 PM

I chose #4 — “I’m kinda sweet!” — because, again, it’s good for the peeps to know how delusional our president is.

Rational Thought on December 30, 2011 at 12:20 PM

I have a feeling Obama picked those particular Presidents because they were the only names he could remember. Obama actually knows very little about history, he has no idea whether these men were good President’s or possibly distant relatives. There’s times Obama doesn’t even know what country he’s in. No matter, where ever he thinks he is, knows he’s the fourth best something. His only mistake was in not paying someone else to say that about him, for him. Oh well, Obama will soon be China bound, right around November of 2012. Heads up Hu.

NEWRIVERELECTRIC on December 30, 2011 at 12:38 PM

Hard choice. I decided to go with “made all the right choices for the economy” because it exemplifies the president’s total lack of knowledge of what economic management is and reflects his disconnect between his policies and their results.
I realize the likely winner is “fourth best president”, but I really don’t think that qualifies as the same kind of Obamateurism. He says he will match his legislative and policy “accomplishments” against any prior president. But he doesn’t say the basis for doing the matchup. It is a fact that Obama and the Dems together had a record of huge legislative victories. So if the measure is the number and size and consequence of legislation passed, then Obama would not be incorrect to place himself at or near the top of the heap. And with so much else to choose from, I don’t think that mere bragging is as egregious as other OOTD’s.
Frankly, I think the OOTY should be more along the lines of his not understanding the economy or the causes of employment and unemployment. I would vote for his statement that ATM’s and the Internet have caused unemployment, as well as his comment that business owners have some sort of social or moral obligation to create good jobs.

cslater on December 30, 2011 at 1:12 PM

Two ways to play these:

1. Pick the stupid one.

2. Pick the one that’s the most “Obama”.

Odd that about 95% of the time…..they’re the same one.

Tim_CA on December 30, 2011 at 1:20 PM

4th best president “Evah!”, he’s not even the 4th worst. Obownow makes Jimmy Carter look like Watson, IBM’s Jeopardy winning computer, not Sherlock Holmes sidekick! :D

Mini-14 on December 30, 2011 at 1:27 PM

Arrogance thy name is Obama.

4th Bestest Evah!!!!!!!!

D-fusit on December 30, 2011 at 1:31 PM

This is the first time the poll has been an easy call. Obviously, President Obummer is the BEST President evah and he just stumbled when making that declaration. Damn! What a cute mistake by the most endearing leader of the free world in our lifetime.

Magnum on December 30, 2011 at 3:42 PM

Surprised he did not attend Kim il,s state funeral.

DWoDiego on December 30, 2011 at 6:13 PM

Eesh. At this point just throw a dart at a wall. You’ll hit something. (BTW, I voted for #3. Can you blame me with such a target-rich environment?)

the_souse on December 30, 2011 at 7:46 PM