NBC/Marist IA poll: Romney 23, Paul 21, Santorum 15

posted at 8:55 am on December 30, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

In the last few days before the Iowa caucus, one would expect the polling to get chaotic and inconsistent, given the nature of caucusing and the interference of the holidays.  That’s what makes today’s NBC/Marist poll so intriguing — it’s practically a carbon copy of yesterday’s Rasmussen poll.  Both polls have Mitt Romney and Ron Paul at a virtual tie at the top, and Rick Santorum making a big move into third place:

A new NBC-Marist poll confirms that with the caucuses four days away former Massachusetts governor Mitt Romney is the frontrunner in Iowa (with Texas Rep. Ron Paul close on his heels), while former Pennsylvania senator Rick Santorum is experiencing a late-in-the-game surge.

Romney and Paul are battling for the top spot, winning the loyalty of 23 percent and 21 percent of likely caucus-goers, respectively. The survey finds Santorum at 15 percent, a jump from 6 percent over the last month. The caucuses are Jan. 3.

At the beginning of the month in this NBC/Marist series, Romney and Paul tied at 19, while Santorum languished at 6% among likely voters.  Both sets of numbers included leaners, which only dropped the undecided respondents from 12% to 7%, and boosted Ron Paul more than anyone else (two points to one for both Romney and Santorum).  Newt Gingrich has seen his support drop by more than half in the same period, from 28% to 13%, while Rick Perry rose from 10% to 14% to finish just behind Santorum.  Michele Bachmann lost a point this month, essentially treading water near the bottom of the pack.

In the second-choice category, Perry finished second to Romney, 21/20, with Santorum in third at 15%.  That’s almost double what both Perry and Santorum had at the beginning of the month, but Romney’s second-choice support has grown, too.  Most of that came from Herman Cain’s former second-choice support as well as a significant decline for Gingrich, who at 13% still has an edge over Paul’s 9%.  That figure seems to indicate that Paul’s support in the caucuses is shallow indeed; he’s gotten all of the support he can muster at this point.  Any late breaking decisions by voters will favor Romney, Perry, and Santorum most as voters move away from other candidates.

I think it’s safe to say that NBC/Marist and Rasmussen have a good handle on what the race in Iowa looks like this week.  We’ll see what Iowans think by Tuesday.  One key Iowan still hasn’t made up his mind, but has begun to say what he can abide, at least — and what he can’t:

Steve King would be warmly welcomed onto any of the campaign buses crisscrossing Iowa in the homestretch before Tuesday’s caucuses, but he spent Thursday at his home in the state’s conservative northwest.

The influential congressman’s position on the sidelines epitomizes the failure of Iowa’s abundant social conservatives to unite behind one candidate who could overtake Mitt Romney, widely distrusted because of his Mormonism and previous support for abortion and gay rights. King expected to settle on a candidate in September or October. He didn’t. …

Erick Erickson, the popular conservative blogger for RedState, mocked Santorum’s rise to third place in the poll, noting the former Pennsylvania senator’s threadbare campaign outside of Iowa. That’s was Mike Huckabee’s problem after Iowa’s social conservatives put him over the top in the 2008 caucuses. “No Surprise, Iowa Social Conservatives Are About to Shoot Us All in the Foot Again,” read the headline on Erickson’s post about the new poll. A Santorum surge, Erickson wrote, means Romney is likely to win the nomination.

That prospect doesn’t bother King, who pointed to Romney’s “exemplary family life” with his wife of 42 years and five sons. “He has more children and fewer vices than I have, so how can I criticize him?” King said, in what could be viewed as an appeal to social conservatives to come to terms with Romney’s likely success. “I could do business with Mitt Romney. I could do business with any of these candidates.”

Actually, there is one candidate whose foreign policy position troubles King far more than Romney’s waffling on abortion. Ron Paul advocates pulling all American troops out of foreign countries as part of a massive military disengagement. “That would be a calamity,” King said. He also worries that a Paul victory in the Iowa caucuses would diminish the state’s status because the quirky libertarian is so unlikely to win the nomination.

I don’t think I ever got a chance to post an interview I conducted with Rep. King before the debate in Des Moines on December 10th, so now seems like a good time to do so.  King clearly wants to find a candidate he feels comfortable in endorsing, and his endorsement is probably the one left on the table that could still make some difference, but just as was three weeks ago, King still hasn’t found the right fit.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Ok,

New core value for me….I’m not goign to talk to people obsessed with Santy’s views on the gays and sodomy. Again, I have no interest in this subject either way and I don’t vote on this issue either way.

If it’s a big issue for you, that’s cool. Just don’t act like it’s that way for everybody.

Dr. Tesla on December 30, 2011 at 11:46 AM

It’s time for folks to face facts – Mitt and Newt are the only ones with a realisitic shot at defeating Obama given the state of our current electorate.

Common Sense Floridian on December 30, 2011 at 10:20 AM

So vote for one of them…I am voting for Rick Perry!

If Newt or Rinomney get the nomination, they get my vote in the General.

tmontgomery on December 30, 2011 at 11:47 AM

Apologize to gophergirl for what? I never said I could prove it, but she is all excited about Perry but she said last night if not Perry she goes over to Romney. She never explained why, and I never heard her talk much about why she supports Perry and why Romney would be acceptable if not Perry.

I just note they are both handsome men.

Dr. Tesla on December 30, 2011 at 11:41 AM

Okay not that I owe you any explanation but to end this insane line of posting.

I support Perry because I like the fact that he 1) is a 10th amendment supporter, 2) wants to keep Washington DC out of my daily life, 3) recognizes that Social Security is a ponzi scheme and my generation is getting screwed, 4) has faith and values similar to mine, 5) supports Israel period, 6) won’t bow to any foreign leader, 7) will repeal Obamacare ASAP, 8) will never apologize for American exceptionalism and will never believe that our best days are behind us.

As for Romney – I’ll support him because I believe he can beat Obama.

Are you satisified now?

As for not responding to your many posts – I am at work and working.

gophergirl on December 30, 2011 at 11:48 AM

As for not responding to your many posts – I am at work and working.

gophergirl on December 30, 2011 at 11:48 AM

They agree with you that you are working right now?

Sounds like you are robbing your employer paying you to do work to me. You must work for the government.

Dr. Tesla on December 30, 2011 at 11:50 AM

Being on some political website at work seems extremely unprofessional to me.

You ought to be fired. If I was your boss, you would be.

Dr. Tesla on December 30, 2011 at 11:51 AM

Is it me or was Perry more appealing when he was talking about jobs instead of Jesus?

cd98 on December 30, 2011 at 11:52 AM

Ok,

Dr. Tesla on December 30, 2011 at 11:46 AM

You may not like talking about it.

But the mainstream media sure will.

Good Lt on December 30, 2011 at 11:53 AM

I do agree that Perry has gone a little overboard with the Christian identity politics. Ditto for Santorum if he’s doing that but I haven’t seen Santy ads.

Dr. Tesla on December 30, 2011 at 11:54 AM

Huntsman: They pick corn in Iowa – they pick presidents in New Hampshire LOL!

Dr Evil on December 30, 2011 at 11:06 AM

Huntsman would most likely lose Iowa to Obama if he were somehow to get our nomination, based on that one stupid comment alone. The guy is an idiot.

Dr. Tesla on December 30, 2011 at 11:08 AM

Huntsman picks his nose to spite his face.

Kissing up to NH will not help after he comes in dead last in Iowa.

WhatNot on December 30, 2011 at 11:54 AM

You may not like talking about it.

But the mainstream media sure will.

Good Lt on December 30, 2011 at 11:53 AM

Mainstream voters don’t care much about gay issues. That’s why gay marriage is usually voted down in the states when it’s on the ballot.

Dr. Tesla on December 30, 2011 at 11:55 AM

Paul probably has the biggest org there. He’ll probably pull it off. Death to the Iowa caucus then.

Flapjackmaka on December 30, 2011 at 11:55 AM

Ok, Dr. Evil, you fret about those gays.

I’m more concerned about the economy, healthcarfe policy, taxes, etc.

Dr. Tesla on December 30, 2011 at 11:20 AM

The problem, of course, is that Rick Santorum frets about those gays. That’s what he does. It’s part of the reason why he’s unelectable, because he’s the only candidate who has failed to extricate himself from social issues in a year where everyone else cares about the economy, healthcare, policy, taxes, etc.

The other part of the reason is that he has no aptitude for any of those things. He’s the other half of the Reagan covenant – the social con who trades his support for the hacks.

Oh, and he’s a joke, to the extent that he’s even remembered, in his home state. I speak as someone who voted for him.

HitNRun on December 30, 2011 at 11:56 AM

Ok, so voters are going to vote for 4 more years of Obama and this dismal economy because of Santy’s comments on the gays?

I don’t buy that, brother.

Gay issues are a big deal to you, not most people though.

Dr. Tesla on December 30, 2011 at 11:57 AM

Being on some political website at work seems extremely unprofessional to me.

You ought to be fired. If I was your boss, you would be.

Dr. Tesla on December 30, 2011 at 11:51 AM

And what if I am my own boss?

TheRightMan on December 30, 2011 at 11:57 AM

People didn’t care that Obama went to a hatemonger preacher’s church in J. Wright or his terrorist buddy Bill Ayers.

But Santy’s gay comments make him unelectable?

Dr. Tesla on December 30, 2011 at 11:58 AM

And what if I am my own boss?

TheRightMan on December 30, 2011 at 11:57 AM

I don’t care either way, I was just having fun getting up on a soapbox on her and reprimanding her for being unprofessional.

I note she’s disasppeared. I sent an email to her boss.

Dr. Tesla on December 30, 2011 at 11:59 AM

cd98 on December 30, 2011 at 11:52 AM

Perry has ALWAYS been talking about his faith in God. Remember the national prayer event he held?

That has not stopped him from being a three-term governor that has led his state to become the most prosperous in the country.

If you like him, you like him. If you don’t – Perry talking about jobs and/or his faith will never convince you.

TheRightMan on December 30, 2011 at 12:00 PM

But Santy’s gay comments make him unelectable?

Dr. Tesla on December 30, 2011 at 11:58 AM

No, I would suggest it is some of his supporters.

tinkerthinker on December 30, 2011 at 12:01 PM

I think a lot of gays are divas and like to be victims.

I scoff when they start comparing their plight to that of black people back in the day. It’s not even ballpark close.

Dr. Tesla on December 30, 2011 at 12:03 PM

I have the right to not to care about gay issues.

I know that’s not hip these days but as a free citizen I have the right to decide what’s important and what’s not, and gay issues don’t make the cut for me. It’s not about being anti-gay, I just don’t care about whatever they are complaining about.

Dr. Tesla on December 30, 2011 at 12:05 PM

I think a lot of gays are divas and like to be victims.

Dr. Tesla on December 30, 2011 at 12:03 PM

But don’t you know that they’re sold into slavery and systematically abused?

Yeah, I didn’t either. I am impressed though as to how Santorum’s critics seem far more obsessed with gays than Santorum himself is.

Stoic Patriot on December 30, 2011 at 12:06 PM

I think

Dr. Tesla on December 30, 2011 at 12:03 PM

No cares now.

tinkerthinker on December 30, 2011 at 12:07 PM

Stoic Patriot,

That’s my point, they talk more about Santorum’s views on gays than he has.

You would think he was advocating jailing gay people or something, they are that paranoid about it.

Dr. Tesla on December 30, 2011 at 12:08 PM

HitNRun on December 30, 2011 at 11:56 AM

How about you let the voters vote before deciding someone’s “unelectable”? If they support Santorum, then perhaps it’s indicative that people actually care about social issues, too. Of course, I also suspect that for Santorum’s critics, that’s precisely their worry / complaint. They’d rather not deal with anyone who does have those issues as a concern, and they want them to simply shut up and vote for their guy.

Social Conservatives have a right to have their message heard and advocate for their policies. Deal.

Stoic Patriot on December 30, 2011 at 12:09 PM

Dr. Tesla,

Jeez. I’m also at work. My boss’s office (he’s a Democrat) is behind me with a clear line of site to my screen, so he watches me on this website. I can tap my head and rub my stomach at the same time.

Oh BTW, did I tell you I’m working in Texas?
Got my profit sharing back recently…
Living in the land of low taxes and regulations brought you by Rick Perry…

Rick Perry / Condi Rice 2012

Conger on December 30, 2011 at 12:09 PM

Stoic Patriot,

That’s my point, they talk more about Santorum’s views on gays than he has.

Dr. Tesla on December 30, 2011 at 12:08 PM

Exactly. Let Santorum make his points and decide the focus of his own campaign. When he holds townhalls, he can answer the questions as they come to him. If they’re on the economy, he’ll answer them as need-be. If they’re on social issues, he’ll answer them as need-be.

I find it fascinating how people who say that social issues don’t matter though get so caught up in his position on those social issues. I’d rather they be honest and say that they find social issues are extremely important and that they disagree with Santorum, instead of dismiss their importance while simultaneously trying to flay him alive for it.

Stoic Patriot on December 30, 2011 at 12:11 PM

Dr. Tesla on December 30, 2011 at 11:55 AM

Frame it in the context of “Santorum is a homophobic bigot” from here until November, and it’s 4 more years of Obama.

It doesn’t matter what the voters want. This is about how he will be portrayed by the media. They are not going to talk about what you want to talk about.

You realize this, right?

Good Lt on December 30, 2011 at 12:11 PM

To those saying Perry will drop out if he doesn’t do perform so well in Iowa, go read this article:

OT: Rick Perry: Texan is undeterred

OSKALOOSA, Iowa – Texas Gov. Rick Perry isn’t sure where he will finish when the caucuses end in Iowa on Tuesday, but said anything less than a win is not a victory.

“Where I come from, victory is being number one in the polls,” he said in an interview on his campaign bus. “That’s what we are striving for.”

“You look at the polls today versus 30 days ago, versus a poll on Monday and they are all different,” he said. “These people have not made their mind up yet and so anybody that says, ‘Here’s who is going to win this thing today’ — ask them for a $10,000 bet.”

No matter what happens here, Perry said, his team plans to go onto New Hampshire, South Carolina and Florida.

“I was listening to the radio the other day, I was doing an interview, and the guy said, ‘Tuesday it’s going to be all over with’ and I’m kinda like ‘speak for yourself dude,’ ” he said. “We are pressing on.”

Go Perry 2012!

You can’t just help liking the good governor. :)

TheRightMan on December 30, 2011 at 12:11 PM

You realize this, right?

Good Lt on December 30, 2011 at 12:11 PM

The media will also do the same with essentially any other candidate. The question then is do you have a candidate who knows what he believes and can articulate it sufficiently well such that it is on intellectually solid ground and persuasive.

I happen to think the best person for that sort of campaigning, as well as the best person to hold the job sought for such a campaign, is a true believer.

Stoic Patriot on December 30, 2011 at 12:14 PM

Frame it in the context of “Santorum is a homophobic bigot Republican canidate is a bigot” from here until November, and it’s 4 more years of Obama.

They’ll do it to all of them guy.

Flapjackmaka on December 30, 2011 at 12:14 PM

Libs call any anti-gay marriage Republican a bigot, but it’s my understanding that Santorum and Obama have the same views on gay maarriage.

I’m not concerned with MSNBC type media calling our candidate a bigot. It’s to be expected, not feared.

Dr. Tesla on December 30, 2011 at 12:17 PM

If Romeny wins Iowar or comes in second, all you gay obsessed people will have got all hot and bothered over Santy for no reason, b/c Romney will be the nominee.

Dr. Tesla on December 30, 2011 at 12:19 PM

Stoic Patriot on December 30, 2011 at 12:14 PM

Sorry Stoic, I could get behind Santorum if I thought he were any better than the Dems on fiscal issues. Unfortunately, Santorum is no fiscal conservative.

He is a social conservative that loves big Govt. There is nothing in his record that disproves that fact.

TheRightMan on December 30, 2011 at 12:20 PM

“They pick corn in Iowa,” “pick presidents New Hampshire”

Correct me if I am wrong but didn’t Hillary and McCain win in NH in 2008?

Huckabee and Obama won Iowa in 2008?

oldyeller on December 30, 2011 at 12:20 PM

Stoic Patriot on December 30, 2011 at 12:14 PM

OK, then get ready for a thorough discussion of Rick’s Greatest Hits.

Good Lt on December 30, 2011 at 12:21 PM

OK, then get ready for a thorough discussion of Rick’s Greatest Hits.

Good Lt on December 30, 2011 at 12:21 PM

I’ve seen it before, and I honestly don’t have a problem with it. I also don’t think most Americans will have a problem with it, save for the base of the Democratic party, which we’re not trying to please and we’re not going to win anyway.

Stoic Patriot on December 30, 2011 at 12:25 PM

Dr. Tesla on December 30, 2011 at 12:19 PM

Romney winning Iowa does not give him the nomination. Just like McCain placing fourth in Iowa did not kill his chances of becoming the nominee.

Only suckers fall for media memes.

As long as an Anti-Romney remains standing – and I place my bets on Perry – the race is far from over.

I wouldn’t trust establishment media – deep in the tank for Romney – to be objective. So take their prognoses with a grain of salt.

TheRightMan on December 30, 2011 at 12:26 PM

TheRightMan on December 30, 2011 at 12:20 PM

That’s fair enough. He’s certainly not the “smaller government, lower taxes” warrior that other candidates are. He did vote for No Child Left Behind and Medicare Part D. I’m fine with both of those, but certainly understand if you’re not.

His position on earmarks doesn’t bother me, since the money is going to be spent one way or another (that’s not puffery — it’s actually true, they first get the money and then determine how to allocate it, and none of it gets returned). He does have votes though against the estate tax and in favor of the Bush tax cuts though.

Stoic Patriot on December 30, 2011 at 12:29 PM

Stoic Patriot on December 30, 2011 at 12:09 PM

If you honestly believe that, sure. Go ahead. Nominate Rick Santorum.

The real problem with the thumpers, of course, is that by conflating religion and government, they think it’s a good thing to fail electorally. Better to do your best in the name of the Lord and so and so. So what if Romney is nominated or Obama is reelected and the economy – you know, that thing Presidents and Senators are actually supposed to be concerned with – is destroyed and in the process of defeat social issues are finally made non grata in the GOP?

HitNRun on December 30, 2011 at 12:30 PM

“They pick corn in Iowa,” “pick presidents New Hampshire”

Correct me if I am wrong but didn’t Hillary and McCain win in NH in 2008?

Huckabee and Obama won Iowa in 2008?

oldyeller on December 30, 2011 at 12:20 PM

Yep but remember what the DNC did to Hillary Clinton and her votes. To this day Hillary supporters believe that Hillary Clinton was robbed of the democrat nomination.

The only question is would Hillary Clinton have made any poorer a President than Obama?

Dr Evil on December 30, 2011 at 12:31 PM

TheRightMan on December 30, 2011 at 12:26 PM

Hahaha. Unless it was Perry who was leading and the media loved him. Then the media was cool and all weren’t they?

csdeven on December 30, 2011 at 12:33 PM

If you honestly believe that, sure. Go ahead. Nominate Rick Santorum.

HitNRun on December 30, 2011 at 12:30 PM

Actually, I don’t have a problem with the Santorum amendment either, and I’m an atheist. Here’s why I don’t have a problem with it.

Having been brought up in schools in the northeast, I was always taught that evolution, not creation, was what was supported by the fossil record. That is true. However, what was not true is the claim that evolution and creation are necessarily in conflict. Evolution deals with the mutation of life across generations, and is thus a hypothesis regarding transformation. Creation is a hypothesis regarding the origins, not transformation, of life.

Do I think creationism is bunk? Sure. But at the same time it’s wrong to say that evolution explains how life began. Of course, this also comes from the same people that say Darwin founded evolution, when what he found was not mutation but natural selection. Yet you’ll find that easily ignored by school systems too.

Stoic Patriot on December 30, 2011 at 12:34 PM

HitNRun on December 30, 2011 at 12:30 PM

Spot on!

What pains me most is that social conservatives have a candidate they can coalesce behind that has a better chance of defeating Romney and Obama – and that is Rick Perry.

Unfortunately, they will rather go with the dog that won’t hunt because they believe Perry’s Gardasil EO to be a dealbreaker for them.

And because of that they will get Romney and the likes of Mitch Daniels, who has asked that social issues take a complete back seat.

Perry OTOH, you can trust to roll back Obama and the Left’s destructive social agenda. Romney? Good luck with him lifting a finger to dabble in “divisive” social matters.

TheRightMan on December 30, 2011 at 12:39 PM

TheRightMan on December 30, 2011 at 12:26 PM

csdeven on December 30, 2011 at 12:33 PM

I’m going to have to agree with cs on this one. Perry got lots of love fromt he Republican establishment when he first came out talking about jobs and his record in Texas. But he faltered when it came to discussing national issues and his poor debate performances. He did so much damage to his campaign at the start, that he couldn’t come back. Now he has gone so evangelical christian that I kind of look at him as an afterthought. Which is sad. He could have been so much better.

The republican establishment want a winner. They want someone who can beat Obama. And Romney, like him or hate him, has the fundraising capability, political skill, and resources/management to beat Obama. This year there just isn’t anyone else that has put together that package.

So hate on the establishment all they want, but most aren’t looking for a conservative cheer leader that will get trounced in the general.

And in fairness, there are plenty of establishment types that don’t like Romney…Rush, Beck to name but two.

cd98 on December 30, 2011 at 12:42 PM

csdeven on December 30, 2011 at 12:33 PM

Hello csdeven. I see you’ve gained access to your grandma’s computer again. She gave you milk and cookies too?

On a side note, there was a mini-debate the other day about your gender. I maintain you are female. Others said you were male. And a third batch say you are genderless – probably an alien from MittRomia.

Can you confirm, please? :)

TheRightMan on December 30, 2011 at 12:43 PM

cd98 on December 30, 2011 at 12:42 PM

Romney can beat Obama?

Ha ha ha ha…

You know what? I am putting down a JetBoy wager – on the 30th of December, 2011:

If Romney beats Obama, I will eat a huge serving of my hat and crow.

AllahP, Ed, and Tina get to choose the sauce that goes with it.

TheRightMan on December 30, 2011 at 12:46 PM

csdeven on December 30, 2011 at 12:33 PM

You are talking to a dude who said that he would “gladly vote for Obama” if Romney was our nominee. Don’t waste time on arguing with the miserable POS.

MJBrutus on December 30, 2011 at 12:47 PM

All the way with “Perry”. The right man for the job, no one can compete with his record.

Tn.-Vol on December 30, 2011 at 12:47 PM

Every time I see a picture of candidates hunting it bring to mind Sen. Kerry. It’s the little things that make you giggle.

Cindy Munford on December 30, 2011 at 12:50 PM

Erickson is in full panic mode over at RedState at the rise of Santorum. When is he going to realize that Perry is done and to stop bashing every other candidate? Perry will be lucky if he gets 5th place in Iowa at the rate he’s going.

I understand rooting for someone particular, but RedState has been absolutely classless in how they’ve approached this primary. You will be banned if you don’t pull the Perry line over there.

I’m more of a “Goldwater” conservative, but I think Santorum is a solid conservative, and far more knowledgeable on the issues than Rick Perry.

BradTank on December 30, 2011 at 12:50 PM

When did Erick Erickson become the “popular conservative blogger?”

That must have happened while I was asleep last night. Most conservatives view Erick as a flaming a-hole who is primarily interested in Erick Erickson.

bw222 on December 30, 2011 at 12:52 PM

Romney can beat Obama?

Ha ha ha ha…

If Romney beats Obama, I will eat a huge serving of my hat and crow.

AllahP, Ed, and Tina get to choose the sauce that goes with it.

TheRightMan on December 30, 2011 at 12:46 PM

Romney CAN beat Obama. Don’t know that he will. It will be a tough contest. As bad as Obama may be as a president, he is an excellent campaigner who will have tons of money and organization in place. Whoever goes against him will have to match his organization, his money, and his political saavy.

Romney may not be the most conservative of the lot, but he’s the only one with the organization, fundraising ability, and political experience with national issues (having run and involved him self in national issues over the last several years).

I respect that you like Perry. I’m a Texan. I moved here when I was four and have lived here most of my life. I don’t dislike Perry, I just don’t think he was prepared to run for president this year. He had a sharp learning curve and he didn’t make it. That’s why he’s an afterthought in the polls.

And I actually think Perry would do better than most of the other nominees against Obama. But he would get trounced all the same because he doesn’t have the fundraising capability outside of Texas and he isn’t organized, and he’s not well-practiced on the national issues. Maybe on the next go-around, but this time, it’s about getting experience.

cd98 on December 30, 2011 at 12:53 PM

MJBrutus on December 30, 2011 at 12:47 PM

LOL…

Hello MJBrutus, hope you are not having a crappy day like the last time.

Okay, I will make this deal with the Romney campaign:

I enter the general with an open mind if Romney is the nominee. Romney will have to convince me that he is any better to the conservative movement than Obama – and I don’t mean rhetoric. I mean records.

An Obama second term will lead to a conservative resurgence in 2016 and the end of the RINO era.

What will a Romney first term or two terms mean for the conservative movement? Care to wager?

I daresay it will lead to a President Cuomo and huge Dem majorities in both chambers.

But hey, I will maintain an open mind and wait for Romney and his supporters to convince me otherwise.

TheRightMan on December 30, 2011 at 12:53 PM

Correction: not nominees…candidates.

cd98 on December 30, 2011 at 12:55 PM

Cindy Munford on December 30, 2011 at 12:50 PM

Can I get me a huntin’ license here?

MJBrutus on December 30, 2011 at 12:58 PM

cd98 on December 30, 2011 at 12:53 PM

You get it. You really do.

You are the first Romney supporter that has given a respectful argument in favor of Romney.

I support Perry because, as you rightly noted, I believe he stands the best chance against Obama. Attacks of “Perry is dumb” based on debates have a short shelf-life and won’t work in the general.

And you know why? Because rhetoric won’t beat Obama, records will.

Perry can attract the base to the polls – including the same Tea Party types that swept the 2010 elections. Romney will not.

People are sick of the GOP offering Dem-lite candidates – really sick, I tell you – and Romney will go the way of Dole and McCain. Independents also like bold flavors and that is why Rubio beat Crist in Florida.

Obama with his rabid followers will never fall to some milquetoast GOP candidate – despite the establishment thinking so. And the same establishment that gave us up in 2008 will be quick to throw in the towel again should Obama win re-election.

If Obama wins, the GOP Establishment will take it out on conservatives – who they will blame for Romney’s defeat. They will be quick to congratulate Obama and will promise to work with him ina bipartisan fashion blah blah blah…

You heard it here first.

TheRightMan on December 30, 2011 at 1:01 PM

Barry Goldwater was Ron Paul with a muscular foreign policy. He loathed the religious right (“a bunch of kooks”), once stated that “every good Christian ought to kick Jerry Falwell right in the ass”, and would have thrown up in his mouth at the thought of a Santorum candidacy.

Mr. Arkadin on December 30, 2011 at 1:02 PM

Go Mitt!

Sorry but nominating a guy who got his ass kicked by almost 20% last time he ran for re-election isn’t reasonable.

kurtd on December 30, 2011 at 1:04 PM

BradTank on December 30, 2011 at 12:50 PM

Nope. He is not in full panic mode. He is just bemused that the same folks that gave us Huckabee, which led to a McCain nomination, are about to repeat the same.

A vote for Santorum will confirm Iowa’s irrelevance and strengthens no one but Romney.

Only political neophytes see otherwise.

And by the way, Perry is currently in 4th place in the latest Iowa poll with 14% to Santorum’s 3rd place with 16%. In essence, you could say they are tied within the poll’s margin of error.

TheRightMan on December 30, 2011 at 1:07 PM

Go Mitt!

kurtd on December 30, 2011 at 1:04 PM

Romney decided to not run for re-election in 2006 because he knew he would lose. His chosen successor lost by 25 points. I would not contrast Romney’s abandoning the field when facing long odds to be an argument in his favor over Santorum.

And the candidate this would argue most strongly for would be Bachmann, who managed to get elected, and re-elected, in a purple state in heavy Democrat years.

18-1 on December 30, 2011 at 1:13 PM

TheRightMan on December 30, 2011 at 12:53 PM

Good luck with that. Mitt supporters on Hot Gas seems to be measuring the drapes in the Oval Office, and too busy to be bothered with more than a display of contempt for conservatives.

WhatNot on December 30, 2011 at 1:20 PM

Only political neophytes see otherwise.

TheRightMan on December 30, 2011 at 1:07 PM

Actually, a vote for Santorum strengthens Santorum. Only a vote for Romney strengthens Romney.

A place is irrelevant only in so far as it doesn’t get a say. Last I checked, Iowa has delegates. Therefore, they’re not irrelevant.

Stoic Patriot on December 30, 2011 at 1:28 PM

Iowa ought to lose its first-in-the-nation status no matter what, but putting a nitwit like Santorum in double-digits should close the case. Same goes for Ron Paul, for that matter.

DRayRaven on December 30, 2011 at 1:35 PM

Okay, I will make this deal with the Romney campaign:

TheRightMan on December 30, 2011 at 12:53 PM

So, the fact that Romney drastically CUT SPENDING while Gov of a liberal state, and “O” has DRASTICALLY INCREASED SPENDING, isn’t enough of an argument for you?

If that isn’t, what possibly could be?

Gunlock Bill on December 30, 2011 at 1:38 PM

Mr. Arkadin on December 30, 2011 at 1:02 PM

I think this is accurate. But although LBJ won by convincing people Goldwater was going to nuke everybody, his foreign policy wasn’t really that interventionist all the time. If you’ve never seen it before, check out this 1964 TV ad Raymond Massey did for him. Sounds a little like the way Paul talks about Iraq and Iran.

Interesting to think a Goldwater win might have saved tens of thousands of American lives.

TXGOP on December 30, 2011 at 1:41 PM

Dude, you have no idea what statist means if you think voting for No CHild Left Behind makes him a statist.

That’s just idiotic.

Dr. Tesla on December 30, 2011 at 11:09 AM

It certainly isn’t a limited government policy; it certainly isn’t a limited federalist policy.

besser tot als rot on December 30, 2011 at 2:02 PM

18-1 on December 30, 2011 at 1:13 PM

Getting elected to the House of Representatives from her home district is not the same thing as running in a national election for President of the United States.

Dr Evil on December 30, 2011 at 2:03 PM

18-1 on December 30, 2011 at 1:13 PM

That’s because MA loves Romneycare so much. /

besser tot als rot on December 30, 2011 at 2:04 PM

I’m going to have to agree with cs on this one. Perry got lots of love fromt he Republican establishment when he first came out talking about jobs and his record in Texas. .

cd98 on December 30, 2011 at 12:42 PM

Are you kidding me? RomneyAir, Weekly Standard,National Review etc was skewering Ronmney from day 1. The only non-Romney candidate the RNC media gave even a lukewarm reception to was Cain and that lasted for about 30 seconds before the knives came out.

angryed on December 30, 2011 at 2:05 PM

skewering Perry that is

angryed on December 30, 2011 at 2:05 PM

18-1 on December 30, 2011 at 1:13 PM

And his win was with 49% of the vote. He lost his bid for Senate by 20%, the same election – 1994 – where Gov Weld, a Republican won 70% of the vote in MA and Republicans swept the country.

The man is born winner, I tell ya. He can’t lose.

angryed on December 30, 2011 at 2:07 PM

MJBrutus on December 30, 2011 at 12:47 PM

So anyone who doesn’t bow down before St. Willard of Mittens is a miserable POS? It’s going to be fun watching the Romney GOTV effort the week before the election…

Hello?

Hi this John from the Romney campaign, reminding you to vote on Tuesday

Yeah I don’t know if I’ll bother voting.

OK go f**k yourself you miserable POS, we don’t need your vote anyway.

angryed on December 30, 2011 at 2:12 PM

Dr. Tesla on December 30, 2011 at 11:55 AM

There’s a big difference between “I oppose gay marriage” and “I oppose homosexual acts.”

gyrmnix on December 30, 2011 at 2:16 PM

OK go f**k yourself you miserable POS, we don’t need your vote anyway.

angryed

That’s what I’m hearing.

BoxHead1 on December 30, 2011 at 2:26 PM

If that isn’t, what possibly could be?

Gunlock Bill on December 30, 2011 at 1:38 PM

MA Total spending
FY2003 ~$50B
FY2007 ~$70B

MA Total Debt
FY2003 ~$70B
FY2007 ~$90B

ZGMF_Freedom on December 30, 2011 at 2:56 PM

It seems to me that the people who want the race to be about fiscal issues and NOT social issues are the Tea Party folks, and it is the people who can’t stand social conservatives that think the election should be about gay rights and abortion. Otherwise why would they constantly bring up their complaints about Santorum’s social views as if it mattered this cycle? Jobs, Jobs, Jobs. Included in that as an indispensable corollary is Repeal ObamaCare, Repeal ObamaCare, Repeal ObamaCare. Stop focusing on gays in the military, sodomy laws, etc., etc., etc.

txmomof6 on December 30, 2011 at 2:58 PM

MA Total spending
FY2003 ~$50B
FY2007 ~$70B

MA Total Debt
FY2003 ~$70B
FY2007 ~$90B

ZGMF_Freedom on December 30, 2011 at 2:56 PM

I should mention that raw numbers like this aren’t worthwhile unless you put them into context. How much was spent on long term infrastructure? How much was spent on salaries? etc.

Any MA residents here that can tell us more about Romneycare?

ZGMF_Freedom on December 30, 2011 at 3:03 PM

New poll has Santorum coming in second.

Norky on December 30, 2011 at 3:11 PM

Can you confirm, please? :)

TheRightMan on December 30, 2011 at 12:43 PM

I can confirm that a frequent commenter here at Hot Air used my private information to track down a family member. Ergo, these sick 8astards have been given the very last bit of personal information from me.

So, the freaks will have to sit around in their mutual masturbation sessions trying to solve the conundrum of who is csdeven with no help from me.

If I’m feeling froggy, I might just throw out some red herrings just to watch them squirm. And they fall for it every time. Their obsession with me inhibits their ability to maintain a grasp on reality.

:-)

csdeven on December 30, 2011 at 3:40 PM

Rick Perry is one point away from Santorum. I would hardly call that a “Santorum surge”. If anything, both candidates seem to be getting a boost. The question in, who will voters break for in the end? Judging from the big crowds, my guess is Rick Perry.

Jack_Burton on December 30, 2011 at 3:47 PM

TheRightMan on December 30, 2011 at 12:53 PM

No one cares what you do. People like you are such a tiny portion of the smallest iota of the minority, that your behavior will not be statistically measurable.

csdeven on December 30, 2011 at 3:51 PM

TheRightMan on December 30, 2011 at 12:53 PM

csdeven on December 30, 2011 at 3:51 PM

Unlike your world renowned persona and well-known self. LOL!

avagreen on December 30, 2011 at 4:09 PM

The world doesn’t revolve around gay people. I’m interested in more important stuff.

Dr. Tesla on December 30, 2011 at 11:26 AM

Absolutely correct. And exactly why I will never vote for Santorum – his world seems to revolve around gays and how evil they are.

independentvoice on December 30, 2011 at 4:18 PM

Jack_Burton on December 30, 2011 at 3:47 PM

This is spot on. My guess — Perry will take third in the Iowa caucuses, likely not do so well in New Hampshire, and then it is off to the races in South Carolina.

Throat Wobbler Mangrove on December 30, 2011 at 4:18 PM

MJBrutus on December 30, 2011 at 12:47 PM

LOL…

Hello MJBrutus, hope you are not having a crappy day like the last time.

Okay, I will make this deal with the Romney campaign:

TheRightMan on December 30, 2011 at 12:53 PM

TheRightMan — I’m a Perry guy too, and I see the reasons you’ve identified as to why you wouldn’t want to vote for Romney. I can’t see voting for Obama, though. Wouldn’t the sure-to-come vacancies on the Supreme Court be a reason to at least consider Romney? You’d have a fighting chance for a decent Justice (no guarantees, see O’Connor with Reagan, etc.), whereas with Obama you’d have none.

I realize this isn’t the best reason, but it is a real concern.

Perry/Rubio 2012

Throat Wobbler Mangrove on December 30, 2011 at 4:26 PM

independentvoice on December 30, 2011 at 4:18 PM

That’s simmply not true, you just zoom on some comments he’s made about gays, probably b/c you are gay.

That’s cool, but you are putting gay issue at the top of your list of priorities.

They don’t even make the cut for me.

Dr. Tesla on December 30, 2011 at 4:32 PM

OK, then get ready for a thorough discussion of Rick’s Greatest Hits.

Good Lt on December 30, 2011 at 12:21 PM

That’s pretty damning if true. I agree that most people won’t vote Obama based on his opponents anti gay marriage/ gay adoption stance. But suggesting that a consentual sex act , no matter how disgusting, can be policed is way off the charts for most voters.

As far as Iowa, Dr T is right if Romnay comes is 1st.

2cnd and there still can be an anti Romney. #1 in Iowa as the moderate would be a coup.

BoxHead1 on December 30, 2011 at 4:38 PM

This is the stuff that really matters to voters:

THE SANTORUM SOLUTION
1.Cut and simplify personal income taxes by cutting the number of tax rates to just two – 10% and 28% and return to Reagan era pro-growth tax rate;
2.Simplify the tax code and reduce middle income taxes by eliminating the Alternative Minimum Tax (AMT);
3.Simplify the tax code, encourage savings and investment, and reduces taxes by eliminating the Death Tax;
4.Lower the Capital Gains and Dividend tax rates to 12% to spur economic growth and investment;
5.Reduce taxes for families by tripling the personal deduction for each child;
6.Reduce and simplify taxes for families by eliminating marriage tax penalties throughout the federal tax code;
7.Retain deductions for charitable giving, home mortgage interest, healthcare, retirement savings, and children;
8.Eliminate the cap on deductions for losses incurred in the sale of a principal residence;
9.Cut the corporate income tax rate in half to make our businesses competitive around the world, from 35% to 17.5%;
10.Eliminate the corporate income tax for manufacturers to spur middle income job creation in the United States and benefit from the job multiplier effect in manufacturing;
11.Increase the Research & Development Tax Credit from 14% to 20% and make it permanent to spur on innovation in America;
12.Eliminate the tax on repatriated taxable corporate income invested for manufacturers equipment investment, 5.25% corporate tax rate on other repatriated income invested in the USA, and 100% expensing for new business equipment;

During his time in public office, Senator Santorum was a strong advocate for a family and small business-friendly tax code, serving as the point man to pass the Bush tax cuts of 2001 and 2003 that revitalized our economy after the terrorist attacks of 9/11. For his work on reducing the tax burden on all Americans, Senator Santorum has received praise from groups ranging from the Club for Growth to Americans for Tax Reform and the National Federation of Independent Business.

Dr. Tesla on December 30, 2011 at 4:45 PM

Dr. Tesla on December 30, 2011 at 4:45 PM

Let’s lay aside rhetoric – almost everyone can make political promises.

You seriously think Santorum’s record trumps Perry’s?

If yes, go ahead and vote for him. I believe you enjoy being in the minority.

If no, why waste our time on a third tier candidate that has no hope outside Iowa?

TheRightMan on December 30, 2011 at 4:57 PM

Rhetoric is calling Santorum a statist because you are some hick SuperFan for Rick Perry.

I don’t have a problem with Perry, but to lie about Santorum by calling him a statist despite his solid record on taxes and fiscal issues is absurd.

You just assume Perry’s a strong candidate b/c he was gov. My point all along is that if you are gov of the 2nd largest state with a good jobs record, and you can’t even managed to be in the top 2, maybe Perry isn’t that good of a candidate. He should be draggging in this field, but he is. I”m accepting reality.

Dr. Tesla on December 30, 2011 at 5:04 PM

T-as in terribly wrong
E-as in always erroneous
S- as sanity removed
L-as in almost libeling mode
A-as in A**

put them all together and what do you get(troll)

gerrym51 on December 30, 2011 at 5:04 PM

Alot of folks here appear to treat Iowa as a primary state with the emphasis on public opinion polls and cheerleading for candidates. However, it is a caucus state, which means the delegates will be allocated by the votes of only a handful of Iowa voters – most of whom are political activists.

Caucuses require money and organization, not crowds at whistle stop tours.

Romney has the money. Paul, with his private army, has the organization. Santorum, with his surge, has the enthusiasm.

Remember – Hilary won the popular vote in the Texas primary in 2008, but Obama, with more money and lots of activists, won the caucuses and the most delegates in Texas.

It should go Romney – Paul – Santorum, with Gingrich fourth and Perry fifth.

Romney wins NH easily. Romney starts with a leg up in SC with Haley helping. Marco Rubio and probably Jeb Bush will help Romney in Florida.

I don’t care for Romney, but the nomination appears to be his to lose.

Rubio for VP? Unlikely. Little experience. Jindal? Highly unlikely. Is a native born citizen, not natural born. His parents were not U.S. citizens when he was born here. The last thing Romney would need in the general would be some kind of GOP birther issue distracting voters. – and Demoncrats would go big time on it – they already slapped Rubio in the face in this area.

After Iowa, bye-bye Michelle. After NH, bye-bye T-Bone Huntsman and Perry goes back to home on the range. Newt stays through Florida. Paul will always be around, but irrelevant. Romney wins.

I don’t like Romney, but this is my 2.5 euro’s worth.

Horace on December 30, 2011 at 5:04 PM

gerry,

I wish I could say that was witty, but it was kind of gay corny.

I’m not the guy calling Republican contenders statists. I haven’t even used that word for Romney. I have a problem with bonehead redneck Republicans who get all worked up in primary season and start calling decent conservatives “statists” because their preferreed canddidate isn’t polling well.

Dr. Tesla on December 30, 2011 at 5:09 PM

It’s a three-way tie for third, but Ed makes this post mostly about Santorum. With Newt going down as we all know, it’s really a two-way tie for third btw Santorum and Perry. Perry’s had almost as big a jump in his polling recently as Santorum, but Ed did NOT do “surge” posts for Perry.

Perry is ONE POINT behind Santorum (MOE, anyone?), and is getting jam-packed, standing-room only crowds of 150-200+ people (one journolist said, “they are virtually hanging from the rafters” for Perry) meanwhile, Santorum can barely get a dozen (Santorum also had to cancel a trip to a candy store yesterday because he didn’t know they were closed, duh!).

But, the MSM/Establishment/HA thinks Santorum’s the ONLY news story out of this. LOL!

-Aslan’s Girl

GO PERRY!

Aslans Girl on December 30, 2011 at 5:09 PM

I don’t like Romney, but this is my 2.5 euro’s worth.

Horace on December 30, 2011 at 5:04 PM

That’s pretty good. If there is no news before tuesday then I’de flip Paul and Santorum in Iowa or maybe even give #1 to Santorum.

THe real interesting question is if Rubio endorses Romney in FLorida. If it’s not close then Rubio can sit out but otherwise…

But I see Rubio as the #1 VP pick for Romney. This cycle sucks a**

BoxHead1 on December 30, 2011 at 5:11 PM

You ought to be fired. If I was your boss, you would be.

Dr. Tesla on December 30, 2011 at 11:51 AM

Most doctors and bosses know how to use the subjunctive mood.

haner on December 30, 2011 at 5:11 PM