Top Hot Air posts in 2011: 11-20

posted at 4:25 pm on December 29, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

We’re finally getting into the top 20 posts with the most unique page views in 2011, and this set includes two election night open threads.  In 2010 I excluded those from consideration, but this year I kept them on the lists as we didn’t have too many of them — and those that made it onto the list were certainly meaningful to Hot Air readers.  It even includes what we thought was the greatest press conference of all time … at least until Andrew Breitbart upstaged Anthony Weiner.

• 20: Pelosi: Heck yeah, the government should shut down that scab plant in South Carolina – So sayeth the Democrat who ignored the overwhelming approval of union decertification at that plant two years earlier.  But she’s all about jobs … right?  Retirement can’t come quickly enough.
  • 19: Open thread: The NY-9 and NV-2 special elections – The GOP reversed its losing streak in Congressional special elections with this sweep in September.  The Humpbot makes an appearance, and a good time was had by all except Anthony Weiner and the Democrats.
  • 18: Comedy gold: The 13-second pause – Joann Kloppenburg might have felt that she “has been a winner in any number of ways,” but when you’re demanding a statewide recount and you can’t claim that you feel you won the election, it ends up looking embarrassing — especially when it takes 13 seconds to figure out an answer that won’t make you look foolish.  Er, too late.
  • 17: White House lawyers who drafted secret Awlaki kill memo were critics of Bush’s war powers – There’s nothing like hypocrisy and vindication arriving at the same time.  Funny how the responsibility for keeping the nation safe tends to change your perspective.
  • 16: Obama: We’re working on gun control “under the radar” – And, well, they still are.  This should surprise no one, but it should anger everyone.
  • 15: Oh my: Prosser now leads in Wisconsin after Winnebago County adds 244 net votes to his total – It wasn’t that thin lead that generated the page views, but Allahpundit’s update when Wisconsin corrected its error and added the 7,000 uncounted votes back into Prosser’s column.  That was what prompted Kloppenburg’s 13 seconds of silence at a subsequent press conference, and it provided a wild night indeed for those following the state Supreme Court election/proxy fight over Scott Walker’s PEU reforms.
  • 14: Video: The most insane tsunami footage yet – The catastrophes in Japan — quake, tsunamis, and near nuclear meltdown — are easily the most tragic stories of the year.  It might take a generation for Japan to recover from it, and the US West Coast may be soon receiving some of the remains of Japanese villages, piers … and the Japanese themselves.
  • 13: The shame — and hypocrisy — of CNN – CNN took it upon themselves to scold conservatives for contributing to violent rhetoric leading to the shooting of Rep. Gabrielle Giffords in Tucson — except that it did no such thing, and the imagery and terminology used by Republicans has also been used by Democrats for political purposes, as well as the media — including CNN.  Truly a shameful moment.
  • 12: Open thread: Total recall – This was the epic facepalm moment for the unions, which dropped a considerable amount of money in an attempt to recall enough Republican state Senators to reclaim control, reversing the 2010 election.  They did manage to win two recalls, but still came up short of control, making the entire effort a big waste of money, and killing the momentum for recalling Scott Walker, at least temporarily.
  • 11: Video: The greatest press conference of all timeAnd here’s the fourth Wisconsin post in this section, this time covering a presser that confirmed David Prosser’s 7500-vote lead in the state Supreme Court and set the stage for the recount that changed, er, nothing.

Don’t forget to check out our earlier posts for 41-50, 31-40, and 21-30!

Comments

Ooooh, scarey woman. Why are all the buffagrillaz in the Dem party?

D-fusit on December 29, 2011 at 4:28 PM

Kloppenburg’s destruction was the most awesome day at HotAir in a long time.

And Crr6′s eating crow moment was delicious!!!

This post will never come back to bite me.

crr6 on April 7, 2011 at 5:21 PM

portlandon on December 29, 2011 at 4:30 PM

Yo, yo, yo; Joann, I’m really happy for you, and I’ma let you finish, but…

Atlas on December 29, 2011 at 4:31 PM

16: Obama: We’re working on gun control “under the radar” – And, well, they still are. This should surprise no one, but it should anger everyone.

That’s a good thread, but it’s missing one key commenter.

I have no idea, but I do know that you guys come up with really cool names for your fake scandals.

crr6 on July 10, 2011 at 1:24 PM

Del Dolemonte on December 29, 2011 at 4:32 PM

Uh, that video for #14 has “Been removed by user”. Thought you’d like to know…

oldleprechaun on December 29, 2011 at 4:33 PM

Man, is that a nasty picture.

Robert Jensen on December 29, 2011 at 4:38 PM

Klop on, Klop off

The Klopper.

Ted Torgerson on December 29, 2011 at 4:41 PM

Jeebus…really, that’s the pic to show with this thread? I think I’ll head over to Rotten.com and try to find a nice image to get Kloppenferber out of my mind.

Bishop on December 29, 2011 at 4:43 PM

The candidates really, really, really need to remind the nation of the extreme anti-gun agenda of Obama.

If he wins they will either succeed in taking guns away, or spark a second you-know-what.

darwin on December 29, 2011 at 4:44 PM

Kloppenburg still reminds me of this gem from Star Trek

mkrech on December 29, 2011 at 4:46 PM

portlandon on December 29, 2011 at 4:30 PM

Comedic gold.

JAGonzo on December 29, 2011 at 4:47 PM

Darn right it should anger everyone. And probably would. IF they knew about it.

Flora Duh on December 29, 2011 at 4:47 PM

Kloppenburg’s destruction was the most awesome day at HotAir in a long time.

And Crr6′s eating crow moment was delicious!!!

“Well, it looks like Kloppenburg won. I am absolutely confident in that fact, and there is a 0% chance that I will later be proven incorrect.

This post will never come back to bite me.

crr6 on April 7, 2011 at 5:21 PM”

portlandon on December 29, 2011 at 4:30 PM

What I never understood was, how could crr6 actually post that. It was so tailor made for the events that transpired. It was bizarre at the time, and even more so after the election concluded. I could see how someone could think they were right about a position, but to go out of your way to say “This post will never come back to bite me” seemed to suggest that she thought it would, and she was trying to punk herself.

redeye on December 29, 2011 at 4:48 PM

I got a feeling that the top 20 threads will all be Palin-nut threads….reflective of the poor crowd that made up HotGas during most of 2011. Not too many college-educated folks until the recent open registrations.

Jailbreak on December 28, 2011 at 6:18 PM

portlandon on December 29, 2011 at 4:54 PM

#13

was truly despicable

cmsinaz on December 29, 2011 at 4:56 PM

Bishop on December 29, 2011 at 4:43 PM

Whilst in college…

… Kloppenburg took a woman’s studies course where one assignment was to squat over a mirror naked, and then write a letter to her genitals.

Get that image out of your head…

Seven Percent Solution on December 29, 2011 at 4:58 PM

Seven Percent Solution on December 29, 2011 at 4:58 PM

Eye Bleach, STAT!

D-fusit on December 29, 2011 at 5:00 PM

Kloppenburg’s destruction was the most awesome day at HotAir in a long time.

And Crr6′s eating crow moment was delicious!!!

This post will never come back to bite me.

crr6 on April 7, 2011 at 5:21 PM”

portlandon on December 29, 2011 at 4:30 PM

redeye on December 29, 2011 at 4:48 PM

IIRC, she did try to walk it back with the “just joking” defense afterward.

kim roy on December 29, 2011 at 5:01 PM

Hahahahaha. Had to go back and watch the video for #18 again.

“Do you feel you’re still the winner?”

BLINK BLINK BLINK so much so that the woman just to her right has to lean over to look.

Priceless.

kim roy on December 29, 2011 at 5:05 PM

good thread, but it’s missing one key commenter.

crr6 on July 10, 2011 at 1:24 PM
Del Dolemonte on December 29, 2011 at 4:32 PM

Memories, sweet sweet memories. I miss crr6. As far as trolls go, she was something special.

St Gaudens on December 29, 2011 at 5:08 PM

#16 is so crucial. We’re one SCOTUS Justice away from the 2nd amendment being deemed null and void. 4 out of 9 on the panel think it doesn’t apply to us commonfolk, and think Heller should be reversed.

I don’t pray for a lot of public figures, but I pray for the health of all the right-leaning justices now more than ever.

tdpwells on December 29, 2011 at 5:09 PM

If Kloppenberg and Waxman had a baby, it would look like Anthony Weiner.

newportmike on December 29, 2011 at 5:11 PM

Why are leftist women so unsightly? Their lips are always thin, their wardrobes are questionable and their hair is always … unkempt.

Leftist women should learn to be like we conservative women. Beautiful, balanced, graceful, thoughtful, kind, benevolent and faithful. Focused on our children vs. aborting them.

Things like that.

Key West Reader on December 29, 2011 at 5:14 PM

portlandon on December 29, 2011 at 4:54 PM

Wow–I missed that comment.

We’ve certainly noticed the remarkable collegiality of the new Romney supporters.////

INC on December 29, 2011 at 5:16 PM

Gads. Look at her, just look at her.
Please Ed, take that photo down she gives me the willies.

trish333 on December 29, 2011 at 5:19 PM

Song for Old Farts

Love to all~!

We’re going to make it. I just know it.

Key West Reader on December 29, 2011 at 5:21 PM

For the other old farts.

Key West Reader on December 29, 2011 at 5:27 PM

Ugh! That photo is the kind of nightmare you’ll have after eating a meal of hummus and tofurky followed by a double feature of The Wizard of Oz and The Walking Dead.

trish333 on December 29, 2011 at 5:27 PM

Gads. Look at her, just look at her.
Please Ed, take that photo down she gives me the willies.

trish333 on December 29, 2011 at 5:19 PM

Trish- 7%’s contribution will ease your pain /

Seven Percent Solution on December 29, 2011 at 4:58 PM

egmont on December 29, 2011 at 5:30 PM

egmont on December 29, 2011 at 5:30 PM

Oh, thanks a lot for bringing my attention to THAT image. Blahhhhhhhhhh….The tears of laughter are flowing but I need a pepto-bismol.

trish333 on December 29, 2011 at 5:36 PM

Things like that.
Key West Reader on December 29, 2011 at 5:14 PM

I believe leftist women and men are generally outwardly unattractive because they are cold, soulless, unhappy bastards that seeps into every aspect of their being including physical appearance.

arnold ziffel on December 29, 2011 at 5:51 PM

Had to go with the 13 second pause. Comedy gold, indeed.

Long haired country boy on December 29, 2011 at 5:52 PM

The thread picture is scary.

Schadenfreude on December 29, 2011 at 5:53 PM

Klopper’s separated at birth pic?

hoofhearted on December 29, 2011 at 5:54 PM

Darn right it should anger everyone. And probably would. IF they knew about it.

Flora Duh on December 29, 2011 at 4:47 PM

I wish I had your faith in the average American voter. These days, many people are too easily cowed into the “Call-911-for-anything” mindset. Why “defend” yourself with a gun when you can punch 3 numbers on a phone? So, “if” they did indeed knew the details, all Present SippyCup would have to do is show up on “Oprah”, weep about how hard his job is in “fixing” Bush’s mistakes, and the American Collective will coo its sympathetic approval in the latest poll and quickly go back to sleep.

SnarkySam on December 29, 2011 at 6:01 PM

Keywestreader
Unsightly is that what you call it, I’m sorry that woman is down right UGLY!
I know you were to be nice, but she’s just nasty.

angrymike on December 29, 2011 at 6:14 PM

out of that list Ed, the Kloppenburg brain fart is my favorite, although all of the Wisconsin ones are great.

maineconservative on December 29, 2011 at 6:40 PM

Seven Percent Solution on December 29, 2011 at 4:58 PM

What the eff did I ever do you to to deserve that?

DUDE!

Laura in Maryland on December 29, 2011 at 7:12 PM

Kloppenburg is Beaker’s long-lost twin sister.

John the Libertarian on December 29, 2011 at 7:17 PM

Jailbreak on December 28, 2011 at 6:18 PM

Thanks for this, portlandon. Here’s a guy who went through college courses without having any class.

John the Libertarian on December 29, 2011 at 7:22 PM

Ah, Kloppenburg, a classic. What’s truly frightening is that this woman is a Judge.

ZGMF_Freedom on December 29, 2011 at 7:38 PM

My fav is the 13 second pause. There had to be a few funny moments in that circus in Madistan.

wi farmgirl on December 29, 2011 at 7:56 PM

Any time Nancy Pelosi opens her mouth to speak…it is entertaining to think she was so close to the Presidency if something happened to 1 & 2.
But! That picture of Kloppeburg turned me into an anatomically correct KEN DOLL!
My hinkydinky fell off!

KOOLAID2 on December 29, 2011 at 7:58 PM

O/T Reading that crr6 post that portlandon saved…

Ed, maybe you should have a ‘bring em back’ poll where all the (non-banned) H A readers get to vote to bring back one banned poster.
Like when Survivor has memorable also-rans back on another show.

Red State State of Mind on December 29, 2011 at 8:44 PM

The original tsunami video link is dead. here it is:

scrubjay on December 29, 2011 at 8:48 PM

Please, Ed, retire that picture.

Those crazy eyes…

Yikes!

Bruno Strozek on December 29, 2011 at 10:18 PM

Forget it Miss Hathaway, you’ll never marry Jethro!

itsspideyman on December 30, 2011 at 4:32 AM

Jailbreak on December 28, 2011 at 6:18 PM

I am a PALIN supporter, nope, did not go to College. I use to hire college grads and fire them too; funny that. I even had a PHD working for me. Now I live in a villa in the Caribbean, funny how that turned out, not being educated and all. Get a clue.

jimfreedom on December 30, 2011 at 8:18 AM

Jailbreak on December 28, 2011 at 6:18 PM

jimfreedom on December 30, 2011 at 8:18 AM

Gosh I love this post. Enjoy the efforts of all your hard work Jimfreedom. I also work side by side with a Masters degree. She can’t get a job in her field in this economy.

wi farmgirl on December 30, 2011 at 11:32 AM