Video: North Koreans weeping in the streets over Kim Jong-il again

posted at 5:17 pm on December 28, 2011 by Allahpundit

The funeral was this morning. Alleged quote from a NorK soldier, via state media: “The snow is endlessly falling like tears. How could the sky not cry when we’ve lost our general who was a great man from the sky? As we’re separated from the general by death, people, mountains and sky are all shedding tears of blood. Dear Supreme Commander!”

Don’t miss the Atlantic’s photo spread of tears flowing freely for the “great man from the sky.” Number 12, especially, is heartbreaking as it shows how effective the indoctrination is even at a very tender age. One thing I wonder about Orwellian spectacles like this: Who’s the intended audience? The people crying might believe that the outside world is impressed by their tears, but does the leadership, which has a better sense of international opinion, understand how creepy and contemptible this looks to its enemies? It’s the most pitiful, cultish case of Stockholm syndrome on this scale that we’ll ever see (I hope). Or is the spectacle not aimed at foreign audiences at all but exclusively at the inmates of the North Korean gulag? These lines from Michael Totten stick with me: “Especially in full-bore Stalinist systems like North Korea’s, would-be dissidents feel like they’re completely alone, that no one else has any idea the emperor is naked. That’s why these regimes will mobilize massive state resources just to locate and punish a single graffiti artist. It’s critically important that everyone who hates the government feels like they’re the only people who do so.” If you’re a dissent-minded North Korean watching this clip, that’s precisely how you’d feel.

Exit question: Why is the UN lowering its flags to half-mast for this monster?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

OhEssYouCowboys on December 28, 2011 at 6:18 PM

Great point.

When my Tanta died I inherited all of her ‘stuff’, which includes a lot of Nazi trinkets and photos. My great grandfather had to travel with a war pass that labeled him a ‘boatman’. He managed to get the family out of Germany during WWII. Our family name is etched on Ellis Island.

Whenever some snark punk kid friend of my kid comes over and starts talking about oppression in America, I pull out my trunk and give them some school.

Shuts ‘em up every single time.

Key West Reader on December 28, 2011 at 6:26 PM

Who gave them the Lincoln that his casket is on? it looks to be a 79. Carter I’ll bet!

angrymike on December 28, 2011 at 6:26 PM

If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.”
What might be still possible for America if only we would believe this verse.

JellyToast on December 28, 2011 at 6:24 PM

Even we sinners are praying without ceasing, JT.

Key West Reader on December 28, 2011 at 6:29 PM

JPeterman on December 28, 2011 at 6:25 PM

These are the people that you are allowed to see. It’s the elite of the elite.

angryed on December 28, 2011 at 6:29 PM

North Korea’s “52%”.

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on December 28, 2011 at 6:30 PM

Acting quickly, the television controllers stopped the broadcast in mid- sentence. With a frozen image of Ceaucescu the TV broadcast “patriotic” socialist music.

angryed on December 28, 2011 at 5:58 PM

Ed, I have a friend at work who was in the Romanian army and was *actually* a guard at that gathering. I believe this is the one where they chased the rat down and disassembled him. The story that Marin tells of that chase, etc. is absolutely chilling.

The War Planner on December 28, 2011 at 6:33 PM

They are mourning the fact that Newt didn’t make it onto the VA Republican primary ballot.

pedestrian on December 28, 2011 at 6:33 PM

Actually tears of joy I’m sure.

GFW on December 28, 2011 at 6:33 PM

I’m assuming the people of North Korea have no contact with the outside world like we had with RFE. What strikes me as odd in looking at these pictures is how well everyone is dressed.
JPeterman on December 28, 2011 at 6:25 PM

Speaking to the point I mentioned upthread; this is all in Pyongyang, the city of the vetted true believers-only. They get the “best” from the dear-leader. It’s a whole nother world within a country that is itself a whole nother world.

The only real contact is near the border where some radio gets in. Video tapes of TV programs are sometimes snuck in for those who’ve managed to somehow get their hands on a tape player. As everywhere, bribes will open a few doors.

whatcat on December 28, 2011 at 6:35 PM

While one article called it a Cadillac, I think it’s a modified ZIL limo. I just don’t see the Great Commander of Juche Thought being carried on an imperialist dogmobile :)

Hannibal Smith on December 28, 2011 at 5:41 PM

Ok, I had only seen a still pic when I posted that…now that I watched this video, it’s clearly a mid-70s Continental:

When I was getting my license, dad had a ’76 T-Bird that he let me learn on. What a massive, powerless boat of a car.

Hannibal Smith on December 28, 2011 at 6:35 PM

Shuts ‘em up every single time.

Key West Reader on December 28, 2011 at 6:26 PM

Love it. History AND the truth are a bitch, to these snot-nosed, ignorant and illiterate punks and professors and legislators who only see liberation in Statism.

OhEssYouCowboys on December 28, 2011 at 6:38 PM

KeyWestReader
Got some of them trinkets myself
My uncle took them off dead Nazi’s
he had a nice government 45,couldn’t get that! Dang it!

angrymike on December 28, 2011 at 6:43 PM

Hannibal Smith on December 28, 2011 at 5:41 PM

Hannibal Smith on December 28, 2011 at 6:35 PM

Speculation elsewhere and a pic of the wheels they used for his old man’s funeral:
Kim Jong-Il’s hearse is a Lincoln?

whatcat on December 28, 2011 at 6:46 PM

Pretty funny that the Dear Leader begins his Dear Road Trip to Hell in a car manufactured by the regime he hates. Imagine Ronald Reagan’s body being carried to its final resting place in the back of a Soviet Zil hearse.

Cicero43 on December 28, 2011 at 6:46 PM

angrymike on December 28, 2011 at 6:43 PM

My dad had a few things himself.
He also had a good story… one day there wasn’t much going on. So he spent hours cutting a swastika off of a downed German fighter near their foxhole or something. No sooner had he finished, a lieutenant drove up in a jeep and said that was a great job and a nice idea. Then the lieutenant took the swastika from him and gave it as a gift to a visiting General. He and his buddies were furious!

JellyToast on December 28, 2011 at 6:53 PM

Jellytoast
Dang Generals
Hehe

angrymike on December 28, 2011 at 7:15 PM

I’m assuming the people of North Korea have no contact with the outside world like we had with Radio Free Europe. What strikes me as odd in looking at these pictures is how well everyone is dressed.

JPeterman on December 28, 2011 at 6:25 PM

Dude, Commie Chinese Boiler Suits are all the rage among the clueless “hip” Hollywood clique. Cameron Diaz accessorizing herself with olive drab Che Guevara crap is just one example.

That’s why I call it JUCHE COUTURE(tm).

CatchAll on December 28, 2011 at 7:24 PM

I think its more of an East Asian cultural norm. You see the same kind of overcooked emotional reactions on those whacky Japanese gameshows all the time, only in those cases it’s usually exaggerated shock or laughter. It’s not real, but it’s also not forced.

Go RBNY on December 28, 2011 at 7:26 PM

We do have on thing on our side…. the mercy of God.

Oh goody we have the mercy of a made up, contemptible, figment of a shared delusional group insanity on our side. That imbecilic evil nonsense and a nickle will get us absolutely nothing.

Your Mamma loves me on December 28, 2011 at 7:29 PM

A line that struck me, mocking a character described in the latest novel that I’m reading, Jay McInerney[s Brightness Falls, is that the emperor has not clothes…and his skin is bad, too.

Funny. I thought the line encapsulated ObaMao, too, and, no, it had nothing to do with his skin color. In fact, ObaMao is bad all the way down to the bone.

onlineanalyst on December 28, 2011 at 7:34 PM

Correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t Dear Leader’s coffin on top of that stinkin’ Lincoln actually one of those X-Cargo boxes that you put on top of the car when you run out of trunk space?

The rest of the population doesnt even get a coffin when they die – it’s a 9mm bullet to the back of the head (the NorKs learned that from the Soviet Socialists) and then their corpse is chucked into a furnace (the NorKs learned that from the National Socialists)

CatchAll on December 28, 2011 at 7:34 PM

This is one of those phenomenally rare occasions that words utterly fail me.

I feel sick after watching that.

TwoShortPlanks on December 28, 2011 at 7:36 PM

Number 12, especially, is heartbreaking

Look at that photo again.

Is it just me that finds it rather improbably absurd that the two girls on the right have a similar tear at the same location on their cheek?

(photo released by the North’s KCNA on December 28, 2011)

Ree-hee-heelly!?!?! They wouldn’t ‘shop a photo, would they?

TwoShortPlanks on December 28, 2011 at 7:43 PM

1976 Lincoln Continental with a 460 cu. in. V-8

cane_loader on December 28, 2011 at 5:42 PM

Got a link on that? Not disputing, just a car geek :)

Hannibal Smith on December 28, 2011 at 6:00 PM

Opera windows, federally-mandated Godzilla bumpers. No link, just recognize the beast by its breath

That and the Cadillac 500ci of the same era are the most de-tuned, powerless big blocks ever made. Get near one then or now and tell me the low compressioned, air pump choked behomeths ran any cleaner than a 1972 model of similar design.

DanMan on December 28, 2011 at 6:25 PM

Tell my wallet about it. That car cost me a small ocean liner in fuel.

cane_loader on December 28, 2011 at 7:47 PM

Pic 7 on the left is the best – cuuute!!

And you’re absolutely right that pic 12 is straight up grotesque.

The U.N. honoring this fickin maniac is disgusting, and exposes the U.N. as the morally bankrupt organization that it is.

Is North Korea the vision they have for the world?!?!?! They should all be frog marched into oblivion!

KMC1 on December 28, 2011 at 7:48 PM

What percentage of people in NoKo do you guys think actually buy into this stuff full throttle? I have a South Korean friend who can’t even seem to grasp how bad it might actually be. He repeatedly tells me that he thinks 99% of NoKo people don’t buy it. When I ask how he knows he just says, “Well, I assume.”

It’s tough to even believe this can happen.

dgarone on December 28, 2011 at 7:48 PM

I think they’re just freaked out about that..kinda fresh…meat they’re throwing away.

BigWyo on December 28, 2011 at 7:50 PM

I would Be interested in that story.

Patricksp on December 28, 2011 at 7:52 PM

Those images of mass hysteria and crying are actually recycled. They were taped last month after a TV anchor announced: “People of North Korea, due to Western sanctions we have run out of toilet paper. From now on you will have to use the People’s Daily for your hygiene needs.”

Mark Ybel on December 28, 2011 at 7:55 PM

Well, if there was any truth to that it would be raining concrete so the son-of-a-bit$h couldn’t rise from the grave…or dig his way out of the pit in Hell he’s currently residing in.

BigWyo on December 28, 2011 at 7:55 PM

JPeterman on December 28, 2011 at 6:25 PM

No photo can come from North Korea without the government’s consent. Everything is orchestrated to show them in the best light possible.

I read an interesting book called “Nothing to Envy: Ordinary Lives in North Korea” by Barbara Demick. She interviewed North Korean defectors who made it to South Korea and the stories they tell about the lives they lived up there is amazing. One young N. Korean student would secretly watch South Korean TV (he figured out how to rig the TV to pick up their signal) and he said that watching South Korean tv was like looking into the mirror for the first time and realizing how deeply unattractive you are! LOL! He found out how the rest of the world regards North Korea, and how crummy their lives are…

dukecitygirl on December 28, 2011 at 7:59 PM

angryed on December 28, 2011 at 5:58 PM

ed: The people behind the Iron Curtain had access to Radio Free Europe. The people of NoKo have no ability to access information outside of their very tightly restricted communication sources.

What really grabs me is that ObaMao effectively shut down the Cuban people’s access to Radio Mardi, a window on a world freer than what the Castros allowed.

The NoKos in the capital probably are “favored citizens,” thorougly indoctrinated and privileged as assets to the State. Their tears are sincere. Out in the provinces where people are barely subsisting, the citizens do not have to be paraded for their shows of grief. They are too mind-numbed and broken in spirit for the death of Dear Leader to have any impact on their lives.

onlineanalyst on December 28, 2011 at 7:59 PM

YOU’LL CRY, OR THERE WILL BE NO GRASS FOR YOU TO EAT TONIGHT…NOW CRY!!!!1111!!!!

Strike Hornet on December 28, 2011 at 8:00 PM

It’s tough to even believe this can happen.

dgarone on December 28, 2011 at 7:48 PM

It’s tough to believe Americans voted a community organizer with zero executive experience to the highest office in the land too. Is it any more unbelievable that Kim Jong Il’s birth was accompanied by spontaneous eruption of springtime than BO would cause oceans to recede and the planet to heal?

msmveritas on December 28, 2011 at 8:01 PM

Seeing the video and hearing their funeral music, I guess this would have been out of the question to replace that music.

AZfederalist on December 28, 2011 at 8:03 PM

I’m certain that not crying would get you sent to a concentration camp.

Rod on December 28, 2011 at 5:24 PM

QFT I’ve seen better acting at elementary Christmas plays

Sekhmet on December 28, 2011 at 8:11 PM

We can’t be sure their not weeping and wailing simply for the fact that they live in North Korea. If I lived there I would probably wail and cry too.

TonyR on December 28, 2011 at 8:28 PM

If you knew that not looking properly sad would get you killed, that would be enough to make anyone cry for more reasons than one.

KW64 on December 28, 2011 at 9:26 PM

Holy brainwashing, Batman!

mapper on December 28, 2011 at 9:27 PM

Looks like Kim got the deluxe package at Olin Mills.

HumpBot Salvation on December 28, 2011 at 10:17 PM

At least the North has one resource in abundance: snowflakes (and those other flakes fakes too).

Sherman1864 on December 28, 2011 at 10:34 PM

I wish our heads of state were still driving 1975 model vehicles.

esnap on December 29, 2011 at 12:10 AM

Strike Hornet on December 28, 2011 at 8:00 PM

The grass eating concentration camp population probably don’t even know that the leader has died.

V-rod on December 29, 2011 at 1:13 AM

This is why we can’t have nice things.

pc on December 29, 2011 at 3:21 AM

Hey, North Korea. 1975 called and they want their wheels back….

Squidly Diddley on December 29, 2011 at 3:32 AM

Wouldn’t you think they could come up with something better to haul the army guys in than some open topped jeep? Is that the best they have given the % of GDP they spend on the military?

acyl72 on December 29, 2011 at 9:03 AM

That little girl in photo #12 is wearing a Burberry scarf. Methinks she must be a daughter of privilege, and not one of the starving peasants.

Beo on December 29, 2011 at 10:12 AM

Invisible tears – amazing.
{^_^}

herself on December 29, 2011 at 11:43 AM

Political mess that N. Korea is side I couldn’t live there… No BLONDS!!!

RalphyBoy on December 29, 2011 at 12:35 PM

am i the only one who is reminded of all those photos of kerry voters weeping on election night 2004?

eh on December 29, 2011 at 1:06 PM

Ezra…err bedbug,

Imagine that,. a car covered in flowers and a 1000 people sweeping snow off the barren plaza with brooms. So what if a 10000 North Koreans people don’t have a stitch of food to eat that day. A show fit for a king.

Kind of like a guy who plays 20 rounds of golf takes 20 days off at the end of the year and takes 10 junkets a year with his wife and 500 of their closest friends staying at 5 star resorts.

Kind of the same “let them eat cake attitude for the proliteriat.

acyl72 on December 29, 2011 at 1:58 PM

It’s quit common in the asian culture to rent mourners to cry at funerals.

mixplix on December 29, 2011 at 2:42 PM