Video: How sci-fi fans put Firefly into the FIRE

posted at 9:45 am on December 28, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

Our friends at the Foundation for Individual Rights in Education (FIRE) have a new video out this week recapping one of their most prominent victories over censorship in Academia — prominent because this case found a ready-made constituency of activists for individual rights. Fans of the cult TV series Firefly rushed to defend University of Wisconsin Professor James Miller after he was accused by campus police of creating a threatening environment by hanging a Firefly poster on his office door, a case in which FIRE prevailed.  The video interviews author Neil Gaiman and takes a generally light-hearted tone — but delivers a serious message:

I wrote about the case in this October post.  Kudos to Nathan Fillion and my friend Adam Baldwin for coming to Professor Miller’s defense, and especially to the fans of Firefly and Serenity (I’m a fan of both), but the serious point made in this video is that free speech should always have a constituency.  Still, one has to smile when Gaiman says this:

There are people you do not want to upset in the world. And big groups of people you don’t want to upset would obviously include the politically disenfranchised who feel they have nothing to lose. And those that feel that the time has come for revolution. Then out on the edges beyond any of those are science fiction and fantasy fans whose favorite show has been cancelled in an untimely way.

I think I like that better than the quote from Miller’s poster.  Also, FIRE has a contest for the most creative tweets promoting this new video, with $500 in prizes for the winners.  Be sure to follow the rules, and let’s hope a Hot Air reader can win the big prize.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Nathan, Yummy :)

I second that. He played a cowboy who commanded a ship-what couldn’t be sexy about that (fanning myself).

I also love the series! Guess that makes me a geek too!

melle1228 on December 28, 2011 at 11:54 AM

Why is it this stuff always happens in some liberal haven? It used to be the college campus was a place for political debate, where all sides had the chance to give their opinion. Apparently, the left has figured they can’t win the debate, so they’ve gone to plan “B”, which is to shut down all opinion, except yours. This isn’t new, it just seems to be spreading.

When I think of the speech they tell all of us we have to tolerate, and then look at what they want to ban, you have to wonder how they get away with it. Why is it the only ones that care about free speech are the ones the left accuses of trying to stifle debate?

bflat879 on December 28, 2011 at 10:10 AM

I graduated from UW-Stout this last spring with my teaching degree (I was unaware of the ideological purity test to teach in Wisconsin. I have been told by two different principals to pretend I’m a Scott Walker hating Democrat or forget getting a job. But this is another discussion entirely.)

Chancellor Sorenson is the epitome of a liberal ass. In 2005 he tried to ban the ROTC program from campus before it even started. The federal gov responded by saying they would revoke $16 million in funds if he did. Money talks and he backed down. He did a survey of the Veterans on campus in 2007. He responded with an email saying he was “surprised that only 25% of Veterans had experienced any discrimination on campus.” Only 25%? If we were blacks instead of Vets there is no doubt he would have Jesse Jackson on speed dial and would force the whole campus to go through mandatory re-education clinics. But since we’re Vets IO guess 25% is below his expectations. Liberal professors on campus are not afraid to show their disdain for anyone who fails to fit their mold. My buddy was told if he wrote his philosophy of education on the his experience in the military and the Army Values (loyalty, duty, respect, selfless service, honor, integrity, personal courage) it would be wrong and he would be forced to rewrite it or fail.

On Chancellor Sorenson’s campus liberal PC policies prevail. Everyone else is threatened or censored.

Logboy on December 28, 2011 at 12:06 PM

Gosh, just to see the Firefly faces on screen makes me warm and fuzzy inside. Fox TV should have been nuked from the orbit for canceling the series.

Archivarix on December 28, 2011 at 12:06 PM

Well, I’m late to the party (as usual). Read most all the posts up to this point; looks like you’ve all beat me to the best quotes, best scenes, best synopsis of the series, etc.

BUT, in relation to the original subject of the thread (the Professor’s poster), let me say that I have always believed (and still do) that the series was cancelled because it hit a little “to close to home”, with the proponents of One World Government.
Until someone can PROVE to me that the actual viewership was down far enough to justify the sponsors “backing out”, that’s going to be my take on it.

Now, back to Professor James Miller.
We have more than documented the fact that college campii “all across the fruited plain” are the fortresses of communism in the U.S.
As such, anything that would imply “profiteering is good”, and “resisting the Alliance (New World Order, One World Government) is good”, can’t be TOLERATED!

listens2glenn on December 28, 2011 at 12:26 PM

Just went to Netflix and ordered both

Enjoyed reading all of the posts…

jazzuscounty on December 28, 2011 at 12:26 PM

This post is such a collision of all things awesome.

jdespirito on December 28, 2011 at 12:29 PM

Fox TV should have been nuked from the orbit for canceling the series.

Archivarix on December 28, 2011 at 12:06 PM

Sponsors pulled out.

Without the show making money, FOX had to.

I genuinely believe the sponsors had their arms twisted “clandestinely”, but can’t prove it.

listens2glenn on December 28, 2011 at 12:33 PM

Just went to Netflix and ordered both

Enjoyed reading all of the posts…

jazzuscounty on December 28, 2011 at 12:26 PM

1. Watch all the episodes, in order!

2. THEN watch the movie.

Here’s some geekishness…Who else has seen the River Tam sessions?

Darksean on December 28, 2011 at 12:33 PM

Just went to yer site and know NOW why you go by the handle LOGBOY.

That you and the others had to face animosity from these self absorbed no loads… it’s hard to swallow back the anger.

You might think of comin’ down here to Texas, we’d be proud and honored to have you.

As a fellow Vet I salute you Bro. Carry on.

Take care

sanjuro on December 28, 2011 at 12:44 PM

Here’s some geekishness…Who else has seen the River Tam sessions?

Darksean on December 28, 2011 at 12:33 PM

I HAVN”T! HOW DID YOU? ! !

signed, “extremely jealous”

listens2glenn on December 28, 2011 at 12:46 PM

Here’s some geekishness…Who else has seen the River Tam sessions?

Darksean on December 28, 2011 at 12:33 PM

Haven’t yet. Need to.

Want to read these as well:

Finding Serenity

and

Serenity Found

and watch this

Done The Impossible: The Fans’ Tale of Firefly & Serenity

Spannerhead on December 28, 2011 at 12:46 PM

Here’s some geekishness…Who else has seen the River Tam sessions?

Darksean on December 28, 2011 at 12:33 PM

Some of them. I watched them back when I got the series on DVD. Of course, I don’t have the DVDs anymore. Someone borrowed them and I have yet to get them back. Time to buy a new set, I think. *sigh*

totherightofthem on December 28, 2011 at 12:53 PM

Wonderful. Hotair is now promoting a guy who proudly hangs the PLO flag in his office (5:43).

What’s next, weird ED? A teary eulogy for Professor Anwar Awlaki or a tribute for the freedom lover Doc Josef Mengele? Can’t wait!

Masih ad-Dajjal on December 28, 2011 at 12:54 PM

The River Tam Sessions, a viral marketing campaign created by Joss prior to the release of Serenity. I believe they are also on the special edition Serenity dvd, but am not sure.

You’re welcome.

Darksean on December 28, 2011 at 12:55 PM

“Done the Impossible” awesome. Can’t stop the signal.

grimmtex on December 28, 2011 at 1:01 PM

Fox has canceled lots of shows I like, they don’t give them time to be incubated.

Dr Evil on December 28, 2011 at 1:01 PM

I think my little nerd heart just exploded.

Neil Gaiman AND Firefly in one post? O.O

‘Tis amazing.

LunaLovegood on December 28, 2011 at 1:11 PM

Did you notice that the students shown on campus all had the SAME BACKPACKS! So this institute of higher learning feels compelled to require everyone to use the same backpacks? Leftism at it’s finest. They can’t have any backpack envy on campus. It would be unfair for someone to have a nicer backpack than someone else. Equality of backpacks. Yeah, that’s the ticket. Resistance is futile, you must assimilate!

LeftCoastRight on December 28, 2011 at 1:13 PM

Masih ad-Dajjal

Take it easy there big fella. I didn’t see the video as a promotion of one mans ideas. I saw it as a first amendment freedom of ideas video myself. You may not like the man or his ideas but his right to express them must not be infringed. Which is exactly what the school was trying to do. End of story.

LeftCoastRight on December 28, 2011 at 1:19 PM

Darksean on December 28, 2011 at 12:55 PM

Thanks for the link.
I hadn’t heard of the “River Tam Sessions” before this thread.
Called my wife in, and we both watched it together.
Oh, and my wife thanks you as well. : )

listens2glenn on December 28, 2011 at 1:23 PM

melle1228 on December 28, 2011 at 11:54 AM

you’re not alone :)

cmsinaz on December 28, 2011 at 1:23 PM

Is there really any hope?

Keyser-Soze on December 28, 2011 at 11:21 AM

After the Fall, yes. Maybe.

trigon on December 28, 2011 at 1:30 PM

Funny, I noticed the backpacks too. I am thinking those are for the freshmen as a perk for signing on. Of course, I could be wrong.

As for ‘Firefly’, I had never heard of it before. My daughter and I are Star Trek junkies so we must see this series! Should I buy the DVD complete set?

We don’t have a Blue-ray player. Maybe it’s time to buy one and then get the Blue-ray set instead? Opinions?

TeaTrekkie on December 28, 2011 at 1:43 PM

Can’t speak for anyone else, but I’m working my gorram ass off so we won’t find ourselves one day telling our grandkids about “America that was…”

Yes, I aim to misbehave… the rest of youse can get off the boat anytime. Shiny?

“Cogito, ergo TEA Party!” ~ DeepWheat

DeepWheat on December 28, 2011 at 1:48 PM

Heh, my Smuggler character in Star Wars The Old Republic (though a redhead female) is a lot like Malcolm from Firefly.

Yakko77 on December 28, 2011 at 1:53 PM

TeaTrekkie on December 28, 2011 at 1:43 PM

O-kay, so how’s the weather been out there in *your* corner of the ‘verse?? Clearly the signal ain’t been reachin’…

I think it’s safe to say the “BluRay” thing ain’t gonna go betamax on us, so, yeah, if your laptop won’t do BluRay, go ahead and get one somehow (maybe upgrade yer laptop??) and get the Firefly box-set and the (separate) Serenity disc, then WATCH THEM IN SEQUENTIAL ORDER. Serenity-the-movie comes *last*.

If, as your nick suggests, you’re TEA Party/conservative *and* a sci-fi junkie, you’d best set aside a whole day for it, ‘cuz you won’t want to quit ’til you’ve seen the whole string…

After that, well, pass it forward, and don’t miss that next TEA Party mtg, wherever you are… it’s that important.

“Cogito, ergo TEA Party!” ~ DeepWheat

DeepWheat on December 28, 2011 at 1:57 PM

TeaTrekkie on December 28, 2011 at 1:43 PM

First of all, if you haven’t gone Blu-ray yet, you need to. And yes, it’s Blu-ray. If you like Star Trk you’ll probably love Firefly.

Also, if your TV can’t handle 1080p Blu-ray won’t be any better than a regular DVD. If your TV will reproduce 1080p and you get a Blu-ray, I have another suggestion. Get Planet Earth (a documentary) Narrated by David Attenborough. There’s another version narrated by someone else but you don’t want that one. This was filmed in HD and is amazing. Then all you’ll need is a bucket to place under your chin to catch all the drool.

Keyser-Soze on December 28, 2011 at 2:00 PM

LeftCoastRight on December 28, 2011 at 1:13 PM

Backpacks are given out to every Freshman when they pick up their rental laptop (every student has one). Students also used to get a new backpack when they swapped out their laptop for a newer one (every other year). They have since stopped that policy though. Now you just get one as a Freshman. Personally I always used the same ACU pattern assault pack that I used in Iraq. Many of the ROTC Students and Veterans do the same thing (easy to keep separate and it has your name on it). I gave my UW-Stout backpack to a poor high school student. I was student-teaching and the student didnt have the money to buy a new backpack to replace his that was falling apart.

Logboy on December 28, 2011 at 2:02 PM

I say, we cut ALL college professors’ wages 25% and use this newly freed money to bring Firefly back! How’s that for wealth redistribution?

At least it would go to a good cause.

Gorram edumacators.

Darksean on December 28, 2011 at 10:13 AM

Oh, if ONLY!!!

Mommynator on December 28, 2011 at 2:04 PM

The Hero of Canton – One of the bet moments of the series.

Catoclysmos on December 28, 2011 at 2:06 PM

He said he gets the biggest kick out of (and suggests) that when you pass him by or whatever, simply say, “Cap’n”.

That’s probably all I would be able to do if I encountered him. It’d be the same if I ever ran into Edward James Olmos (“Admiral”)

Catoclysmos on December 28, 2011 at 2:17 PM

TeaTrekkie on December 28, 2011 at 1:43 PM

That’s be awesome if Firefly ended up being the killer app for your purchase of a BluRay player.

Dunno how old your daughter is, but if I were going to watch it with my kids, there are definitely three “fast forward moments” I can recall, one particular early on in the pilot episode.

Yakko77 on December 28, 2011 at 1:53 PM

YoSafBridge?

Spannerhead on December 28, 2011 at 2:18 PM

YoSafBridge?

Spannerhead on December 28, 2011 at 2:18 PM

I’ll be in my bunk.

Darksean on December 28, 2011 at 2:27 PM

It really amazes me how much conservatives identify with Firefly. When I watch the show I see an anti-imperial message and a rather explicit one. Mal and company are not frontiersmen forging new territory for the Alliance, they live in societies that refuse to bend to the imperial power of the central planets. Mal and company are continually dealing with the reality that their society is divded along class lines, and that influence and wealth give people enormous license to do horrible thing to others. One of the shows earliest episodes, Train Job, was all about the difficulty of outer planets to secure healthcare while performing dangerous and vital labor for the central planets. It just goes to show how different audiences can read the same material in different ways.

libfreeordie on December 28, 2011 at 2:30 PM

libfreeordie on December 28, 2011 at 2:30 PM

No, most of us read it the same way.

The mix up is that your image of what conservatives are is deeply flawed. We aren’t who you think we are.

We also don’t buy the idea that appealing to the all-powerful, all-benevolent government to fix the problem is actually going to work given how human nature is in the real world. Liberals want to give more power to the government to fix things which is insane.

sharrukin on December 28, 2011 at 2:41 PM

libfreeordie on December 28, 2011 at 2:30 PM

I think you misconstrue the Alliance as conservative. It isn’t (just like fascism isn’t really right-wing). The Independents (notice they aren’t called the Dependents, nor the Welfare Recipients), the Browncoats are based on liberty and rugged individualism.

This is best summed up in the beginning of Serenity:

Teacher: With all the social and medical advancements we can bring to the Independents, why would they fight so hard against us?

River: We meddle.

Teacher: River?

River: People don’t like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don’t run don’t walk we’re in their homes and in their hands and we haven’t the right. We’re meddlesome.

Teacher: River, we’re not telling people what to think, we’re just trying to show them how.

It is terribly easy to see who’s who in the ‘verse. As to your example of the Train Job, it shows more the failure of “Universal Healthcare” than anything! See what I did there?

Darksean on December 28, 2011 at 2:47 PM

You’re right Darksean.

BOURNE: There’s medicine, Pasceline — works on the symptoms. Person
could live like a person, they get it regular. But our shipment got
stole right off that train you was ridin’ in. which is why you won’t
be seeing a parade in town today.

MAL: (feigned shock) Stolen? Didn’t we see an entire regiment of fine young Alliance Federals on the train?

BOURNE: You did. The same regiment that let the medicine get swiped from under their noses and then took off for their camp without so much as a whoopsie daisy.

MAL: That sounds like the Alliance. Unite the planets under one rule.
Everyone can be interfered with or ignored. Equally.

BOURNE: Alliance ain’t much use to us on the border planets. But they
ain’t the ones stole that medicine. I find those people, they’ll never see the inside of a jail. I’ll just toss ‘em in the
mine, let ‘em breathe deep for the rest of their lives.

MAL: Can’t argue with that.

Catoclysmos on December 28, 2011 at 3:13 PM

libfreeordie on December 28, 2011 at 2:30 PM

If you knew anything about conservatism you wouldn’t be amazed at all. What you’ve been taught is that conservatives all want to control what people think, do, believe, and how they speak to others. For some reason, the common thought is that conservatives want to make everyone into the conservative image of perfection. Nothing could be further from the truth. To be conservative is to believe in the power of the individual and in personal responsibility for one’s actions. A true conservative doesn’t think everyone is innately good or pure, but that human nature is . . . human nature and you deal with it as it comes. Conservatives don’t believe in no government (those would be anarchists), just efficient and effective government, within a specific framework.

What is depicted in Firefly is the power of the individual against a large and overwhelming government. I’d say that the crew of Serenity is much more conservative in outlook than the Alliance flunkies.

Who really wants to control what you say and do, in today’s real world? Look around you. Progressives (not classical liberals, btw) instituted political correctness. They insist on controlling what we do, eat, say, drink, smoke and think; all for our own good and the good of society, naturally. /

I’d say the Alliance, in all its meddling, interfering glory represents progressive thought and government, not unlike that envisioned by the progressive One World Order people.

People, in general, (there are always exceptions) aren’t inherently good or evil. They’re just people. What makes one great and another mediocre lies within the individual and no government is equipped to change that, because it can’t legislate human nature out of the equation. Lord knows it’s trying, though.

totherightofthem on December 28, 2011 at 3:33 PM

I have 3 movies on my computer, one is Serenity. I wish they would at least make a sequel to the movie.

royzer on December 28, 2011 at 4:28 PM

Well, they tell ya, ‘Never hit a man with a closed fist.’ But it is, on occasion, hilarious.

Oh how I miss that show. I gotta watch it again soon.

Freed0m28 on December 28, 2011 at 4:54 PM

Darksean on December 28, 2011 at 2:47 PM

Right on. : )

listens2glenn on December 28, 2011 at 4:58 PM

I’m as incensed by campus speech codes as anyone. But I find it hard to muster up much sympathy for some professor who has a Palestinian flag hanging in his office.

ardenenoch on December 28, 2011 at 5:01 PM

Darksean on December 28, 2011 at 2:47 PM

totherightofthem on December 28, 2011 at 3:33 PM

Both awesome explanations. I would also add that liberals see the government “the way they want it” and govern accordingly even if it has no basis in reality or success. Conservatives see the world the way it actually is and govern accordingly-which is to say that humans are flawed and governments are made of single humans with the power of numbers- not a good combo.

melle1228 on December 28, 2011 at 5:15 PM

ardenenoch on December 28, 2011 at 5:01 PM

Defending the prof isn’t the issue.

Defending anyone who wants to display a Firefly poster ON CAMPUS, is.

How much heat is that prof taking over the Palestinian flag?

listens2glenn on December 28, 2011 at 5:36 PM

“Cogito, ergo TEA Party!” ~ DeepWheat

DeepWheat on December 28, 2011 at 1:57 PM

It seems my laptop does support BluRay, but I don’t have any of them to test that theory out. I’m sure I can fix that though. :-)

As for being a Tea party supporter, funny, my screen name wasn’t meant that way originally, but I do support their cause. I just like to drink tea and watch Star Trek (and couldn’t come up with anything better).

As for Firefly, I will set aside the proper viewing time (in the right sequential order) with the proper amount of tea for the occasion. Thanks again!

TeaTrekkie on December 28, 2011 at 5:58 PM

melle1228 on December 28, 2011 at 5:15 PM

Agreed. Nice addition and thanks, for the compliment.

totherightofthem on December 28, 2011 at 6:03 PM

TeaTrekkie on December 28, 2011 at 5:58 PM

Old Native American saying:

Brave who drinks too much tea before bedtime, risks drowning in his own teepee

listens2glenn on December 28, 2011 at 6:16 PM

royzer on December 28, 2011 at 4:28 PM

I have 3 movies on my Ipod, one is Serenity. I have one complete TV series on my Ipod, Firefly (and a season of Farscape). It took me four years to get my wife to watch Firefly (she’s not a fan of sci-fi at all). Now she watches everytime I play it and my 14 year old daughter has become a fan too.

dddave on December 28, 2011 at 7:16 PM

LOVE Firefly. And I’m a female sci-fi geek. I think if you try to explain the conservative/libertarian aspects of the story to a liberal, you may make their head explode :)

Anyone else a fan of Babylon 5? A lot of relevant social commentary in that show, especially during season 3 (but hinted at as early as season 1).

Violina23 on December 28, 2011 at 7:52 PM

At least it would go to a good cause.

Gorram edumacators.

Darksean on December 28, 2011 at 10:13 AM

I say screw anybody who tells a private business whom to hire/fire and how much they should be paid.

What are you, a union boss? Your instincts are all screwed up on this one. You sound just like the fascists on Prof Miller’s door.

WTF?

Capitalist Hog on December 28, 2011 at 8:07 PM

ardenenoch on December 28, 2011 at 5:01 PM

You’re admitting that you have a hard time accepting the First Amendment. At least you’re honest.

Capitalist Hog on December 28, 2011 at 8:11 PM

Mal: “Well, look at this! Appears we got here just in the nick of time. Whaddya suppose that makes us?”

Zoe: “Big damn heroes, sir.”

Mal: “Ain’t we just!”

Noocyte on December 28, 2011 at 8:29 PM

This is best summed up in the beginning of Serenity:

River: We meddle.

Teacher: River?

River: People don’t like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don’t run, don’t walk, we’re in their homes and in their hands and we haven’t the right. We’re meddlesome.

Darksean on December 28, 2011 at 2:47 PM

+1000 — Darksean FTW!!

“Cogito, ergo TEA Party!” ~ DeepWheat

DeepWheat on December 28, 2011 at 8:47 PM

Capitalist75 on December 28, 2011 at 10:38 AM

Good LORD you people are annoying

cptacek on December 29, 2011 at 12:02 AM

Capitalist75 on December 28, 2011 at 10:38 AM

Good LORD you people are annoying
cptacek on December 29, 2011 at 12:02 AM

Oh, nonsense. Everyone knows this was supposed to be a Ron Paul thread, disguised by references to Firefly, and Serenity.
Why didn’t YOU?

Ok, fine. YES, they are annoying.

listens2glenn on December 29, 2011 at 3:06 AM

sanjuro on December 28, 2011 at 11:16 AM

HEY! YOU! Get off my lawn! :p

GWB on December 29, 2011 at 11:27 AM

Oh yeah, Firefly fan here

If you haven’t seen it, your missing something. This is great stuff

Here’s a taste..

http://youtu.be/Q_0xsLpvVIM :-)

Whole season and follow up movie is on N-flix and probably a lot of other vendors. Standard disclose — no $$ interest, just a big fan. Plus it drives libs nutz = extra credit!

(note if the url doesn’t work search YouTube for “Mal Shoots”)

DaMav on December 29, 2011 at 2:47 PM