Thomas Sowell: Gingrich for president

posted at 10:04 pm on December 28, 2011 by Allahpundit

A grudging endorsement, but sufficiently esteemed that it deserves a little publicity.

The fact that each of the short-lived front-runners in the Republican field gained that position by presenting themselves as staunch conservatives suggests that Republican voters may have been trying to avoid having to accept Mitt Romney, whose record as governor of Massachusetts produced nothing that would be regarded as a serious conservative achievement.

Romney’s own talking point that he has been a successful businessman is no reason to put him into a political office, however much it may be a reason for him to become a successful businessman again…

Much depends on whether you think the voting public is going to be more interested in Newt Gingrich’s personal past than in the country’s future. Most of the things for which Gingrich has been criticized are things he did either in his personal life or when he was out of office. But, if we are serious, we are more concerned with his ability to perform when in office…

There are no guarantees, no matter whom the Republicans vote for in the primaries. Why not vote for the candidate who has shown the best track record of accomplishments, both in office and in the debates? That is Newt Gingrich. With all his shortcomings, his record shows that he knows how to get the job done in Washington.

According to RCP, Newt hasn’t cracked 20 percent (or even 18 percent) in any of the last five Iowa polls. That doesn’t mean he’s sunk — he’s still the logical alternative for an undecided in the Not Romney and Not Paul camps — but I’ll never understand why he let so many negative ads go unchallenged. He was famous for scorched-earth politics when he was in the House, yet when he finally got his second look as a presidential contender, he turned into a nice-ish guy. It’s probably too late now.

Here’s his new nice-guy ad. Exit quotation from former GOP Rep. Marilyn Musgrave, discussing her vote in 2003 on the Medicare prescription drug bill: “Newt called me to vote yes.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Lazy, are you?

Wade on December 29, 2011 at 8:41 AM

Read the entire comment thread you twit. I do not think the world of Thomas Sowell. That’s my point.

I find most economists boring. To me “money” should be a verb. It’s alive with action. Most economists turn finance and the economy into a sleep-aide.

An exciting economist would be memorable and beneficial to the populace. People suffer because they don’t take enough interest in world financial markets, events and trends as related to their own finances.

Intellectuals are overrated. Their collective underwhelms me. Thom Sowell is no different in this regard. He is smarter than Newt but equally overrated.

Capitalist Hog on December 29, 2011 at 11:33 AM

collective impact

Capitalist Hog on December 29, 2011 at 11:35 AM

I admit that some things about Gingrich have disturbed me, but most often when I listen to his defense, I’m satisfied.

1. The couch with Pelosi: He says it was stupid and didn’t accomplish what he hoped it would. That works for me. This will not be an issue in the general. Independents will like the idea that both sides can sit down to talk reasonably about caring for the planet, which I think is how they will interpret it (and I think what Newt intended).

2. Fannie/Freddie: As I heard Newt explain to JC Watts on Hannity the other day, Newt’s organization was hired by them. Newt himself only got about $35K per year from them. Only one document was issued by him during the time he worked for them, and that one is in favor of limiting their role. If this is true, it’s being blown WAY out of proportion.

3. Not getting on the VA ballot: The facts seem to show that this was not as big a faux pas as it was originally made out to be.

4. Comparing the above to Pearl Harbor Day: Well, once I found out how Newt thought he was complying (negotiating in good faith with VA) but then was undercut by a rule change that he didn’t know about, I was able to understand the parallel. It still was hyperbole, but hyperbole can be useful sometimes.

5. Individual mandate support: Well, it sounds like Heritage and other conservatives were supporting it then. Romney still thinks it’s great. But I think Newt has changed his mind.

6. Tales of other congressmen not getting along with him: Well. I have also heard that it was because he didn’t put up with their cr*p. When I saw JC Watts was supporting him, that went a long way toward easing my mind on this score.

7. Opening a huge credit line at Tiffany’s: Whatever. If my husband was that wealthy, I’d be fine if he did that for me. The current FLOTUS wore a $2000 sundress to church last week. It looked like it should have cost $60 tops!

The point that I keep seeing repeated here that I just don’t get is why people say he can’t win in the general. I think he is really appealing when you take time to listen to him. My 14-y-o daughter who has no interest in politics was really impressed with him in the debates and liked him better than anyone else. His looks and manner didn’t turn her off–she actually found them appealing. I really don’t understand why people say he would lose against BHO. I don’t see it.

With Sowell and Laffer supporting Newt, I’m getting more sold on him. So, I guess I’m on the NEWTRAIN unless Perry picks up steam.

wordmum on December 29, 2011 at 11:38 AM

Dang. I used to have some respect for Sowell.

Dante on December 29, 2011 at 11:40 AM

The point that I keep seeing repeated here that I just don’t get is why people say he can’t win in the general … I really don’t understand why people say he would lose against BHO. I don’t see it.

I wholeheartedly agree. Put Gingrich and Obama side-by-side on stage and the American people will certainly see for themselves which one is truly presidential.

TheBad on December 29, 2011 at 12:42 PM

If there was any doubt before, this proves it: Thomas Sowell is a RACIST!!!

logis on December 29, 2011 at 12:50 PM

Dang. I used to have some respect for Sowell.

Dante on December 29, 2011 at 11:40 AM

But, but he’s a luminary, a sage, a prophet…
/sarc

Capitalist Hog on December 29, 2011 at 1:38 PM

Dang. I used to have some respect for Sowell.

Dante on December 29, 2011 at 11:40 AM

Somehow I doubt it. Go back to your nap with your Ron Paul doll.

cajunpatriot on December 29, 2011 at 3:34 PM

Rich Lowery at NR has a good article on Santorum. I can’t believe conservatives are not 100% supporting Santorum. What are we doing here?

I tend to agree, but he’s more RINO’ish in background than conservative. Plus that visit to Alaska in 2004 to stump for Murky didn’t sit to well with conservatives.

williampeck1958 on December 29, 2011 at 5:05 PM

Thomas Sowell think Newt would be the best bet for President?

He would be the first to say that 1) it’s his opinion and 2) nobody should take him (Sowell) as speaking some absolute truth just because he is Thomas Sowell. He might also note that politicians and political parties are packages — you don’t get to pick and choose what you like from each candidate and create some ideal composite to vote for. You pick the one with the favorable view of issues that you’re most interested in, whose disposition you can agree with, and just live with the negatives. Kind of why we have primaries and general elections.

He’s made his assessment, as of now, about who might be a good President. In Nov 2012, it will be up to everyone to make a final assessment then vote.

Russ808 on December 29, 2011 at 6:14 PM

Thomas Sowell is the smartest conservative alive today. I’d love for him to run for President but I’d be asking for too much.

Crusty on December 30, 2011 at 11:15 AM

BTW I don’t take this as Sowell’s praise for Newt so much as a “lesser of evils” argument.

Crusty on December 30, 2011 at 11:17 AM