Reason TV’s Nanny of the Year is …

posted at 12:15 pm on December 28, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

It’s the end of the year, and so it’s awards season, and not just at Hot Air.  (Have you voted in today’s OOTY polls yet?)  Reason TV caps off its series of 2011 Nannies of the Month by selecting one as the Nanny of the Year, presented by Ted Balaker and attended by a virtual cast of thousands.  This year, they select a lawmaker that went too far in attempting to criminalize sexual contact between teachers and students, pushing a law that would have made it a felony for instructors at any level to have an intimate relationship with an adult student:

These United States have produced many worthy nominees in 2011. Who could forget the city planner who threatened a woman with 93 days behind bars for growing vegetables or the state senator who did his best to outlaw crossing the street while listening to an iPod (shortly before pleading guilty to federal corruption charges).

But this year the golden Nanny goes to the Wolverine state pol who’s bent on making most any kind of teacher-student sex–not just a fireable offense, but a felony, even if the student is older than age 18 or even if teacher and student are middle-aged. (And, in an apparent attempt to secure nanny gold, our winner is also fighting to force school kids to recite the pledge in front of genuine made-in-America flags.)

As I wrote a few weeks ago (this was the latest Nanny of the Month), the law would have flown in the face of Lawrence v Texas, and, er, common sense.  I’m not sure I’d pick this as their NOTY, though; there were some pretty good candidates this year.  Let’s set up our own poll to see which nanny-stater gets the Hot Air nod.

Comments

The ban on rare meats is so ridiculous, case after case of good born illness has been cross contamination or “organic” related. But meat is “bad” and all else good.

rob verdi on December 28, 2011 at 12:19 PM

Seems to me there should be an “All of the Above” choice.

Christian Conservative on December 28, 2011 at 12:20 PM

Lemonade and children being fined. I am still in shock over that.

upinak on December 28, 2011 at 12:21 PM

My irony button is pushed most by

Michigan lawmakers ban smoking in bars (and bars ban state lawmakers in response)

I like it when citizens push back.

Cindy Munford on December 28, 2011 at 12:24 PM

Wow. Three of these are from my home, the great state of Michigan.

“Welcome to the Great lakes State! Leave your liberties at the door!”

ConservativeLawStudent on December 28, 2011 at 12:24 PM

I’m from Michigan…at least we are well represented in the % of poll questions. We put nannies to shame!

KOOLAID2 on December 28, 2011 at 12:25 PM

I picked vegetable lady, though any of the bans on food are right up there. While the Michigan law goes too far, it is not nanny of the year worthy. However, libertarians have sex and pot on the brain 23 out of 24 hours per day, so their selection is not surprising.

NotCoach on December 28, 2011 at 12:30 PM

The two relating to children seemed the worst. Between them, a license for a lemonade stand is absurd, but prohibiting sack lunches is unbelievable–talk about undermining parental choices.

BuckeyeSam on December 28, 2011 at 12:32 PM

Chicago principal bans homemade lunches for students

43.59% (68 votes) – Since Chicago is in the center of the cesspool of corruption.

Kini on December 28, 2011 at 12:32 PM

And why is an EU law in the list? We may as well include laws from the several dictatorships around the world if we are going to include EU laws.

NotCoach on December 28, 2011 at 12:34 PM

KOOLAID2 on December 28, 2011 at 12:25 PM

There is no lack of Michiganehs in this world.

Shy Guy on December 28, 2011 at 12:35 PM

So I take it Harry Reid didn’t like the competition?

Kraken on December 28, 2011 at 12:43 PM

Wow. Three of these are from my home, the great state of Michigan.

“Welcome to the Great lakes State! Leave your liberties at the door!”

Not that surprising from the state that hatched Michael Moore.

Cyhort on December 28, 2011 at 12:49 PM

It’s hard to choose. Each nominee is so deserving.

Shouldn’t the City of San Francisco receive an award for commencing a Happy Meal ban that was so easily bypassed by McDonalds? Or perhaps a lifetime achievement award?

aunursa on December 28, 2011 at 12:52 PM

Man, that was tough. I wouldn’t object to a 10-way tie.

peski on December 28, 2011 at 12:53 PM

aunursa on December 28, 2011 at 12:52 PM

That was beautiful.

peski on December 28, 2011 at 12:54 PM

Chicago principal bans homemade lunches for students

Just another way to hook skulls full of mush to be 100% dependent on the govt for their daily bread. With this ban, it forces not just the poor kids, but every kid that walks in the door to look up to Papa Sam (no longer Uncle, since he’s making the move for full custody)

AH_C on December 28, 2011 at 12:56 PM

I have no problem with a law that says that people in positions of authority over other people can’t be sexual with those people — unless they are a President.

Everyone here who agrees with that great Clintonian principle please raise your hand.

unclesmrgol on December 28, 2011 at 12:59 PM

All very good – or should I say very bad? seems to me I’ve seen articles about attempts to ban smoking in peoples’ own houses somewhere – that should be a nominee (and I’m not a smoker). But I have to go with the ban on kids bringing homemade sack lunches to school.

dentarthurdent on December 28, 2011 at 1:02 PM

Lemonade and children being fined. I am still in shock over that.

upinak on December 28, 2011 at 12:21 PM

Nope. As absurd as the lemonade Nazis are, at least those kids are making lemonade and selling it to strangers. No, the most astonishing intrusion in normal life has to be the principal who banned grade school students from bringing a lunch that their Mom or Dad made them at home.

That is communist/statist bullsh!t on a level I never thought I would see in America. And to think … it comes from a Chicago teacher union maggot. What a surprise.

Jaibones on December 28, 2011 at 1:04 PM

Poll is racist. I voted for the Chicago principal. I denounce myself.

Kenosha Kid on December 28, 2011 at 1:04 PM

S

aunursa on December 28, 2011 at 12:52 PM

Lets not forget their ban on circumcision.

derft on December 28, 2011 at 1:05 PM

Since Chicago is in the center of the cesspool of corruption.

Kini on December 28, 2011 at 12:32 PM

In Illinois, everyone knows that Chicago is just one cog in the entire wheel that makes up the corruption in this state. The real center of corruption is in the state capital of Springfield, where the real boss of All Things Politically Corrupt, Illinois House Speaker Michael Madigan, rules with a proverbial iron fist.

pilamaye on December 28, 2011 at 1:05 PM

unclesmrgol on December 28, 2011 at 12:59 PM

Based on Clinton’s activities and logic I tried to convince my wife it was ok for me to get the same “services” but she didn’t go for it. My wife didn’t care what the definition of is is. Hillary may have fallen for it, but possessive, jealous, conservative redheads don’t….

dentarthurdent on December 28, 2011 at 1:05 PM

How about New York’s bans (or attempted bans) on salt, sugar, fat, and what else? I’d say NY is in the running against San Fran on the lifetime achievement award.

dentarthurdent on December 28, 2011 at 1:09 PM

How about a compromise, and just institute a ban on free range Political Science graduates, as they come out of college loaded up with debts and with no real-life talents, so they’re left with nothing to do except trying to implement laws such as the above.

MNHawk on December 28, 2011 at 1:31 PM

not hot for teacher

Speaking of which, Van Halen just announced it’s 2012 tour. Tickets for sale starting January 10th.

Christien on December 28, 2011 at 1:39 PM

s/b its

/I don’t feel tardy.

Christien on December 28, 2011 at 1:40 PM

Listen to PJTV superstar ZO streaming right now on a Los Angeles radio station. (I LOVE THE INTERNET…and ZoNation)!

I figure those interested in ReasonTV would not mind this link. I hope this is not SPAMmy.

Capitalist Hog on December 28, 2011 at 1:43 PM

Since Chicago is in the center of the cesspool of corruption.

Kini on December 28, 2011 at 12:32 PM

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. We didn’t get the Olympics but we might get this award. Well, not the real Reason award but the HA version of the Reason award. Yay! They don’t call us the Second City for nothin’…

Fallon on December 28, 2011 at 1:49 PM

What about the TSA? They’re not just nannies, they’ve take control of the entire transportation industry and they’re about to grab even more power. There’s also the SOPA that may pass, giving government complete control over the internet.

But since those weren’t up there, I voted for the ban on sack lunches.

scalleywag on December 28, 2011 at 1:54 PM

Had to go with Reason’s choice, seeing as I helped him get elected to the state house–did some letter writing for him in his first state senate bid, too. He made sense until he gained that senate seat. I’m glad I now live in a more reasonably represented district, but Doctor Kahn has disappointed a good number of us; he also voted for the smoking ban (yes, he’s a cardiologist, but as a conservative he should recognize concepts such as liberty and private property rights). My rep put forth many amendments to ameliorate the law, but all were shot down.
And, Cyhort, just so you know, Michael Moore doesn’t represent the way most of us up here think.

gotogirl on December 28, 2011 at 2:29 PM

With or without “under God.”?

BigAlSouth on December 28, 2011 at 2:47 PM

How dare a school district determine what a parent can feed her children! This isn’t just a grave violation of parental rights, it’s a statement that the government thinks it owns your children. Why haven’t they been sued?

Timeout on December 28, 2011 at 3:08 PM

Wow. Three of these are from my home, the great state of Michigan.

That’s why I’m from Michigan.

weew on December 28, 2011 at 3:38 PM

Initially I couldn’t decide between the “free range” kids and the school lunches, but as the latter happened in America, I decided it was much worse for that reason. Also, I am a parent of four school age kids who wouldn’t touch the school cafeteria food with a 10-foot pole.

toby11 on December 28, 2011 at 4:58 PM

I’ve had the misfortune of dealing with Kevin Rulkowski, the city planner who made Oak Park, Michigan a laughingstock by trying to prosecute, with the threat of jail time, a woman for growing vegetables in her yard.

He told me that I had “insulted” him when I called him a bureaucrat. When I asked him how that was an insult he said, “Well, you meant it as an insult”.

So I told him, “No, if I wanted to insult you I’d call you the tax-feeding rent-seeking government worker parasite that you are.”

rokemronnie on December 28, 2011 at 5:32 PM

There are too many good choices to pick from.

My favorites are the lemonade stand headline; fining the lady for growing veggies in her own garden; the walking while using iPod ban; and principal wanting to ban homemade lunches.

TigerPaw on December 28, 2011 at 6:09 PM

Who can choose from the above?!

disa on December 28, 2011 at 7:11 PM

harry reid and prostitutes in the same sentence…..just toooooo good not to vote for.

DiabloAzure on December 28, 2011 at 7:37 PM

Homemade lunches, FTW!

All of the nominees are worthy of … well, something, but this one is special. You must eat as the State demands, the food provided by your parents is invalid. A short few steps from there to the situation in Gattaca.

Freelancer on December 28, 2011 at 11:30 PM

I had to go with the principal banning homemade lunches, though it was tough deciding between that and the burgers or lemonade stand ones.

Imrahil on December 28, 2011 at 11:53 PM

I think I would rather sit on a homicide jury or run naked thru San Fransico than pick one off this list. All are so good.

And Michigan is a good place to be from.

gasmeterguy on December 29, 2011 at 9:07 AM