Newt spokesman on Romney’s VAT idea: Let’s face it, he’s flirting with “European socialism”

posted at 5:10 pm on December 27, 2011 by Allahpundit

Two questions with one week to go. One: Is there still time to convince undecideds that Romney’s a RINO? And two: Are there any undecideds left who still need convincing?

I’m thinking “yes” on both counts.

Gingrich campaign spokesman R.C. Hammond said that the Romney ruminations were part and parcel of the case Newt Gingrich will be making to voters this week: that he represents conservative values, while Romney is a “Massachusetts moderate.”

“The fact that he’s willing to look at European Socialism shows just how far out of the conservative mainstream he is,” Hammond said…

The other policy point raised by Romney came in a December 22 interview with the Concord Monitor, in which the former Massachusetts Governor said that “I don’t believe a path to make us more like Europe will make us stronger. I don’t think Europe is working in Europe. I know it won’t work here.”

Lest you doubt that this will be Newt’s closing argument against Romney, watch the two clips below. The first, from Gingrich’s campaign, is all sunshine and candy canes about creating jobs, etc. The second, from his PAC, hints darkly about the “liberal Republican establishment” that’s been attacking him with negative ads. I wonder who he means. Romney, meanwhile, appears to be reverting to his electability pitch by needling Gingrich about not getting on the Virginia ballot. Quote:

“I think he compared it to Pearl Harbor. I think it’s more like Lucille Ball and the chocolate factory,” Romney told reporters at a campaign stop at Geno’s Chowder House. “I mean, you got to get it organized.”…

This was the second time today Romney swiped Gingrich. This morning in Londonderry, Romney called Gingrich’s Virginia primary miss “not the best hour” of his bid for the White House.

“He’s running his campaign in a way he thinks best,” Romney said. “Obviously the Virginia setting was not the best hour of his campaign.”

Romney’s spokeswoman ripped Gingrich on MSNBC this morning too for his “desperate” attempts to revive a “failing campaign,” all of which is Romneyspeak for “Newt will never be organized enough to stop the Obama machine.” So there’s your choice, Iowa: The guy who pushed Massachusetts health care even further to the left, the guy who can’t stick to a bus schedule he planned a week ago, and a guy whose answers to questions about the Bilderbergers aren’t nearly as dismissive as they should be. Good luck, Hawkeyes.

Update: The gloves are coming off:

Newt on Mitt’s Lucille Ball comment: “I’d love to have him say that to my face.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

On one hand, I feel bad for Newt because he and Romney are virtually the exact same candidate. On the other hand, one of these guys has to lose and I’d rather it be Newt.

Notorious GOP on December 27, 2011 at 5:12 PM

Newt’s just pissed that he isn’t getting the credit for it.

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on December 27, 2011 at 5:14 PM

Romney’s spokeswoman ripped Gingrich on MSNBC this morning …

MSNBC, really?

idesign on December 27, 2011 at 5:15 PM

Newt: “It’s just like the Weimar Republic!”

whatcat on December 27, 2011 at 5:16 PM

Whatever Newt, it’s a self-inflicted gunshot wound. Next time get your WHOLE HEAD in the front of the shotgun… thanks!

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on December 27, 2011 at 5:17 PM

Are there any undecideds left who still need convincing?

i find it hard to believe, but hey, what do i know

cmsinaz on December 27, 2011 at 5:18 PM

Mitt Romney has already dabbled in that dark magic – shocking, huh?

aryeung on December 27, 2011 at 5:18 PM

I’m thinking “yes” on both counts.

Yes, definitely, Allah….

7 Reasons Why Mitt Romney’s Electability Is A Myth

There are lot of issues with trying to run a candidate who doesn’t seem to have any core principles. It makes it impossible for his supporters to get excited about him, because you can’t fall in love with a weathervane. It also makes hard for independents to take anything he says on faith. Additionally, since politicians tend to be such liars anyway and you know Romney has no firm beliefs, it’s very easy for everyone to assume the worst. Democrats will assume Romney will be a right wing deathbeast. Republicans will assume that Romney will screw them over. Independents won’t know what to believe, which will make the hundreds of millions that Obama will spend on attack ads particularly effective. Ronald Reagan famously said the GOP needed “a banner of no pale pastels, but bold colors.” That’s particularly relevant when it comes to Mitt Romney, who has proven to be a pasty, grey pile of formless mush.

Green eyed Lady on December 27, 2011 at 5:18 PM

I’d love to see Newt say that his epic fail in Virginia was equivalent to Pearl Harbor face-to-face to the families of Pearl Harbor victims and survivors.

haner on December 27, 2011 at 5:19 PM

Newt is right….again!

Electing RINO, Obama-Lite Romney is flirting with European Socialism.

Furthermore, electing the choice of the Republican elite, the pundits, the media and the Obama campaign should send up red flags for every Republican.

Why is this so hard to understand!!!

I keep saying that America is lost. God help us should Obama get another 4 years!

Sparky5253 on December 27, 2011 at 5:22 PM

Newt “Say that to my face” Gingrich’s personality seems shockingly similar to Barack “Get in their face” Obama’s when things get tense.

I prefer an adult for president.

mattshu on December 27, 2011 at 5:23 PM

Sparky5253 on December 27, 2011 at 5:22 PM

That’s why Newt is not going to be the nominee, because there is a God and Obama won’t get another 4 years.

haner on December 27, 2011 at 5:24 PM

Romney is not a moderate. He’s a full fledged liberal. Maybe not a Marxist like Obama, but a liberal in every way, especially the way liberals lie about who they are.

they lie on December 27, 2011 at 5:24 PM

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on December 27, 2011 at 5:17 PM

Here’s a guy calling himself Sniper One, working himself up into a state of excitation with all caps, directing a presidential candidate to make himself a target for gunfire.

I’m not sure whether to call the psych ward or Secret Service…

BCrago66 on December 27, 2011 at 5:25 PM

No preference for either candidate but VAT is European Socialism writ large. And it is a terrible idea no matter how you dress it up.

CorporatePiggy on December 27, 2011 at 5:25 PM

“The health bill that Governor Romney signed into law this month has tremendous potential to effect major changes in the American health system” from an April 2006 “Newt Notes” published by Gingrich’s former consulting company, “The Center for Health Transformation”. It was found online by The Wall Street Journal but it no longer appears on the center’s website. Golly, I wonder why that would be. http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20111226-703150.html

VorDaj on December 27, 2011 at 5:25 PM

Here are some facts for those who think Romney can beat Obama in the general. Romney has not won but one election. He lost to Kennedy because of his actions at Bain. You think Obama will not hammer him for being a corporate raider and getting wealth bygutting businesses? All the passes Romney has gotten from the MSM will suddenly be invalid when he is in the general. Obama is better organized, has more money and is more experienced. Obama is a better fighter than Romney. He is not a better fighter than Gingrich. When Obama points out Gingrich faults. Gingrich will remind people who Obama is. The sex toy of Frank Marshall Davis. The friend of Jeremiah Wright and Bill Ayers. Gingrich is probably the best debater alive. There is no new dirt to throw at Gingrich.

Zelsdorf Ragshaft on December 27, 2011 at 5:26 PM

AP, you blew the dog whistle.

Flapjackmaka on December 27, 2011 at 5:26 PM

Time Stamp December 22, 2011. I will wait to see how long it takes for Mitt Romney to take the opposite position. Current Wind Velocity in Iowa.

Dr Evil on December 27, 2011 at 5:27 PM

mattshu on December 27, 2011 at 5:23 PM

Newt married his high school math teacher. Now think about what kind of guy would do that. This “say that to my face” is just overcompensating for being picked on all his schoolboy days.

haner on December 27, 2011 at 5:27 PM

In future news, here is an old clip of Newt proposing the idea of a VAT tax. /sarc

MechanicalBill on December 27, 2011 at 5:27 PM

I love me some Newt Romney action.

ronval912 on December 27, 2011 at 5:29 PM

General George Armstrong Gingrich: “Say that to my face, you redskins!”

VorDaj on December 27, 2011 at 5:29 PM

I’ve picked neither of the two, and I looked hard at both.

For what it’s worth, here’s how I’ll vote at the straw poll in a week.

beatcanvas on December 27, 2011 at 5:29 PM

haner on December 27, 2011 at 5:19 PM

I’d like to stuff him in a time machine and drop him in the middle of the harbor 5 minutes before the bombs fell. What a disgusting comparison!

MelonCollie on December 27, 2011 at 5:30 PM

Look at how Newt & Mitt legislated:

Newt: Balanced Budget, Welfare Reform, fought Bush I Tax hikes

Mitt: Enacted Socialized Mandated Healthcare, raised “Fees” (Taxes).

Hmmmm.

Which one of these do I support????

portlandon on December 27, 2011 at 5:31 PM

I’m not sure whether to call the psych ward or Secret Service…

BCrago66 on December 27, 2011 at 5:25 PM

Guess you missed the “self inflicted” line… seek professional help for yourself.

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on December 27, 2011 at 5:31 PM

Gingrich Once Supported a Value-Added Tax

On November 7, 1987, AP reported:

Rep. Newt Gingrich (R-Ga.) said Thursday that he intends to propose a radical reform of the Social Security system in which government checks would gradually give way to private retirement accounts for most retirees.

A new trust fund would be established to raise all senior citizens above the poverty level, to be financed by a “value added tax” described as a “simple across-the-board sales tax.”

American exports would be exempt from the tax, a step designed to help reduce the massive U.S. trade deficit.

Current Social Security retirees would continue to receive their benefits, although those living under the poverty level would receive supplemental aid. Retirees would receive a one-time increase in Social Security payments to offset the money they would lose through the new sales tax.

Here are remarks he distributed on November 6, 1987:

In order to replace the FICA tax and finance the new anti-poverty retirement fund, we would adopt a “Value Added Tax.” This VAT would be a simple across-the board sales tax designed to raise the amount currently raised by the FICA and the amount necessary to meet the poverty level requirements for our poorer grandparents. By keeping the VAT simple we meet the main objection of small businesses who fear the complexity of European VATs. By keeping the VAT off budget and dedicated to these trust funds we meet the major worry of conservatives who see it as a relatively easy tax for liberals to increase in the future. Defining the VAT as our new Social Security tax will keep it dedicated and narrow in scope.

haner on December 27, 2011 at 5:32 PM

OMG, what a choice! Between the scatterbrained and the vapid, the question that must somehow be faced sooner or later is “What point does the Republican Party have any more?”
Newt is both blessed and cursed with an intellect that is both precocious and unfocussed, while Romney hasn’t a conviction to be found anywhere. As a result, the party they hope to lead will either be enthralled to a mad man or blurred to irrelevance, and the alternative to Obama that the Party is intended to offer will be invisible or insane.
I don’t see a future for this trainwreck, and I know there must be a “reset” button in this pile of dung somewhere.

Lew on December 27, 2011 at 5:32 PM

Why, so that you’ve got time to think of a comeback? Che.

Dude, when Mitt’s dropping bombs on you from his Zero, you need to push your breakfast plate away and get to your anti-aircraft battery double-time.

Dusty on December 27, 2011 at 5:32 PM

OK Newt heads… just get the Romney bumper-stickers and DO AS YOU ARE TOLD!

;)

Irritable Pundit on December 27, 2011 at 5:32 PM

Romney: Now spewing the OWS rhetoric to save his political butt. How much more proof do voters need that this man is a political FRAUD.

Sparky5253 on December 27, 2011 at 5:33 PM

Newt Romney both support socialism with their repeated calls for GLOBAL taxation and regulation regimes.

This is like watching two fat women slap fight outside a laundry mat – no one’s a winner.

abobo on December 27, 2011 at 5:34 PM

Newt: Balanced Budget, Welfare Reform, fought Bush I Tax hikes

Mitt: Enacted Socialized Mandated Healthcare, raised “Fees” (Taxes).

Hmmmm.

Which one of these do I support????

portlandon on December 27, 2011 at 5:31 PM

Guess you missed the part where Mitt also balanced the budget in Mass, and they had a surplus after his 4 years as gov.

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on December 27, 2011 at 5:34 PM

Latest developments coming in fast (and furious). Newt Gingrich issues challenge to Virginia election board for a series of Lincoln/Douglas style debates on voter rights. Gingrich says he wants them to say he didn’t get enough valid signatures to his face. If they say it to his face, he will challenge them to a pie throwing duel at 10 paces. Nancy Pelosi will be his second.

VorDaj on December 27, 2011 at 5:34 PM

MechanicalBill on December 27, 2011 at 5:27 PM

haner on December 27, 2011 at 5:32 PM

And I’m pretty sure that’s a record time.

WealthofNations on December 27, 2011 at 5:35 PM

Here is C-SPAN video of Newt supporting a VAT in Congress:

haner on December 27, 2011 at 5:35 PM

I’m not sure whether to call the psych ward or Secret Service…

BCrago66 on December 27, 2011 at 5:25 PM

Oh please. The nut farms are for people who act on their insanity, and the Service would categorize him as “threat level on par with getting hit by lightning.

MelonCollie on December 27, 2011 at 5:36 PM

If Romney can go after Obama like he is Gingrich, I’d say we have a great chance of taking the WH in 2012. Can he? We all know Gingrich will do it with a smile, but Romney? When he tries to go negative, he too often ends up stepping on a rake.

I’m not saying Gingrich is perfect, but he’s much better at it than Romney is. I’m not trying to tear the guy down, I think he would be a fine president economically, but it’s one of the reasons he doesn’t get much traction IMHO.

People can accept a jerk who is blindingly correct most of the time over a nice guy who doesn’t want to rock the boat and wants to form a bipartisan committee to investigate the source of all the water flooding in. It could be I’m just reading Romney wrong, but I’ve lived in MA most of my life and I don’t see Romney beating Obama here. They put the coolaid into the water directly, you can’t help but drink it. I was wrong about Brown winning, thankfully, so you have that going for you.

Mord on December 27, 2011 at 5:36 PM

Why would an American running for President even consider VAT?

That stuff is foreign to us here in the US

liberal4life on December 27, 2011 at 5:36 PM

OK Newt heads… just get the Romney bumper-stickers and DO AS YOU ARE TOLD!

;)

Irritable Pundit on December 27, 2011 at 5:32 PM

Some of those are entirely too close to the truth.

sharrukin on December 27, 2011 at 5:36 PM

Romney: I’m like you to be the VP on my ticket.
Newt: Say that to my face.
Romney: I just did?

pedestrian on December 27, 2011 at 5:36 PM

Sparky5253 on December 27, 2011 at 5:33 PM

Funny, I thought OWS rhetoric was to raise taxes on the rich.

Saying that trying to drastically cut taxes for the richest, while the Bush Tax Cuts are still in effect, is bad politics is just common sense.

WealthofNations on December 27, 2011 at 5:36 PM

Sparky5253 on December 27, 2011 at 5:33 PM

I detest Romney, he has no central core. He will say anything to get elected…

ABR

idesign on December 27, 2011 at 5:36 PM

One day one these idiots would actually use ‘socialism’ using its proper definition instead of a shorthand for “stuff I don’t like”.

Apologetic California on December 27, 2011 at 5:37 PM

Sorry newt, my money would be on Romney…you are a fat, out of shape, boll weevil…

rubberneck on December 27, 2011 at 5:37 PM

Gingrich Once Supported a Value-Added Tax

On November 7, 1987, AP reported:

haner on December 27, 2011 at 5:32 PM

I was told we couldn’t use anything Mitt said in 1994, because it was SOOOOO long ago, and that was that was from a different political life or something.

But I guess with Newt’s 1987 remarks, you are using a weird reverse statute of limitations?

portlandon on December 27, 2011 at 5:37 PM

VorDaj on December 27, 2011 at 5:25 PM

See Obamacare.

RickB on December 27, 2011 at 5:38 PM

RickB on December 27, 2011 at 5:38 PM

See “Reading more than one bit to get the entire perspective”.

Man, some Newters can be so freakin’ thick.

WealthofNations on December 27, 2011 at 5:40 PM

I honestly cannot believe, that with this country facing the dismal future it is with an Obozo second term, that this is the field of choices we have.

In reality, I think this primary says all we need to know about this country’s future.

KMC1 on December 27, 2011 at 5:40 PM

OK Newt heads… just get the Romney bumper-stickers and DO AS YOU ARE TOLD!

;)

Irritable Pundit on December 27, 2011 at 5:32 PM

Speaking of too close to the truth….

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on December 27, 2011 at 5:40 PM

MelonCollie on December 27, 2011 at 5:30 PM

I think Confucius had men like Newt Gingrich in mind when he said, “Never give a sword to a man who can’t dance”.

VorDaj on December 27, 2011 at 5:41 PM

Not doing what it takes to get on the Virginia ballot for the primary is disqualifying.

Just call the election, primary and general, for what it is Crap and Crappier.

WashJeff on December 27, 2011 at 5:41 PM

portlandon on December 27, 2011 at 5:37 PM

Hey, I never said politics was fair.

The point is Newt has 30 years of legislative baggage that can be used against him for every attack he makes. That’s why he had strategically calculated to have a “positive campaign.” But since that wasn’t working….

haner on December 27, 2011 at 5:41 PM

Okay, this is just stupid.

VAT does not equal Socialism! That would make Paul Ryan a socialist, along with many many other solidly conservative thinkers who have toyed around with the idea at one point or another.

The entire problem with a VAT wasn’t the VAT itself, it was the fact that they would be layered on top of an existing tax. All Romney said, in essence, is that if he were to use a VAT, it’d be as a replacement to a current tax, rather than being layered on top of one.

That is it, he didn’t say anything about using a VAT on top of existing taxes, quite the opposite. Digging out the socialism charge, for THIS of all things, reeks of desperation.

Look, I know Romney isn’t a perfect conservative, but simply being open the the idea of a very specific and narrow implementation of a VAT does not equal socialism.

Socialism is something else entirely.

WolvenOne on December 27, 2011 at 5:42 PM

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on December 27, 2011 at 5:34 PM

You’re like a battered wife.

“He punched me in the face, but then he bought me perfume, so he’s a good guy.”

Who cares if he balanced the budget in Mass! His RomneyCare mandated healthcare destroyed the states healthcare system!!!

portlandon on December 27, 2011 at 5:43 PM

VorDaj on December 27, 2011 at 5:41 PM

Heh. The wisdom of sages reaches ‘cross the ages.

MelonCollie on December 27, 2011 at 5:43 PM

Socialism is something else entirely.

WolvenOne on December 27, 2011 at 5:42 PM

Your expecting the not-Romney’s to list to something like Logic? You must be new here…

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on December 27, 2011 at 5:44 PM

WolvenOne on December 27, 2011 at 5:42 PM

No VAT is a socialist concept. It just another way for the government to rape the taxpayer. Europeans love this concept

liberal4life on December 27, 2011 at 5:44 PM

Newt’s not inclined to promote a VAT (at this time) unless someone’s prepared to pay for a history lesson about the idea.

Basilsbest on December 27, 2011 at 5:44 PM

portlandon on December 27, 2011 at 5:43 PM

Romneycare is still very popular in Mass. Seems to somehow defeat your argument.

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on December 27, 2011 at 5:45 PM

Through the mist Gingrich is beckoning
But soon will come that moment of reckoning
His many faces change
As he grows ever more strange
He has so many faces
His real self erases
As an enticing flood of lies
Flicker through his darting eyes
Soon he will feel the terror draw ever nearer
The more he stares in his own mirror

PercyB on December 27, 2011 at 5:46 PM

WolvenOne on December 27, 2011 at 5:42 PM

You must be new here

WealthofNations on December 27, 2011 at 5:46 PM

Man, some Newters can be so freakin’ thick.

WealthofNations on December 27, 2011 at 5:40 PM

Why would want to vote for someone running for President since 1968.

RickB on December 27, 2011 at 5:47 PM

The entire problem with a VAT wasn’t the VAT itself,

Yes it is. The problem is that the VAT can and will be used to expand the power of government by what it covers and the rate. We have seen this happen everywhere its been tried.

Same thing that happened with Romneycare in fact.

Look, I know Romney isn’t a perfect conservative,

WolvenOne on December 27, 2011 at 5:42 PM

He’s a northeastern liberal actually.

sharrukin on December 27, 2011 at 5:47 PM

O/T
====

US judge rejects attempt to revoke BP’s probation for 2010 Alaska oil spill, lifts sanctions – AP
18 mins.ago

canopfor on December 27, 2011 at 5:47 PM

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on December 27, 2011 at 5:34 PM

Guess you missed the part where Mittens raised several fees as governor and Taxachussetts was ranked 49th in job creation!

Face it Mittens is not a conservative in any way shape, or form.

The only clown Mittens would be better than in the primary is Rumpelstiltskin.

Mittens has been treated with kid gloves up to this point, can’t even handle a Bret Baier interview, and doesn’t even have the guts to call Obama a socialist.

LevinFan on December 27, 2011 at 5:49 PM

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on December 27, 2011 at 5:45 PM

He was popular because he played a shell game with voters. “Ooh lookie! he balanced the budget! Socialized healthcare? What’s that and who cares. He balanced the budget!”

Like that somehow negates all the non-conservative things he’s done?

You lot really are desperate!

MelonCollie on December 27, 2011 at 5:49 PM

….I’ve lived in MA most of my life and I don’t see Romney beating Obama here. They put the coolaid into the water directly, you can’t help but drink it. I was wrong about Brown winning, thankfully, so you have that going for you.

Mord on December 27, 2011 at 5:36 PM

Mercifully we don’t need Mass’ electoral votes…and the way it looks even Obama (as incumbent) couldn’t beat Obama (as Mass libs conceive of him)based on Obama/incumbent’s (Bush) foreign policy track record. So who will get Mass’ electoral votes?

Upstreamer on December 27, 2011 at 5:49 PM

RickB on December 27, 2011 at 5:47 PM

When the only tool you have left in your kit is hyperbole, everyone can see that your belt is a little light pal.

WealthofNations on December 27, 2011 at 5:49 PM

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on December 27, 2011 at 5:45 PM

And Taxachussetts is full of stupid liberals.

Romneycare has increased costs and decreased quality, that’s the bottom line.

LevinFan on December 27, 2011 at 5:50 PM

How long until we find out that Newt once favored a VAT?

Southernblogger on December 27, 2011 at 5:51 PM

He’s a northeastern liberal actually.

sharrukin on December 27, 2011 at 5:47 PM

That Romney is a Northeastern Republican is not in dispute, but a Northeastern liberal? Check your tap water.

Barney Frank and Bernie Sanders are Northeastern liberals. And you know what they share with Newt Gingrich? Their love for Freddie Mac and the idea that every American deserves home ownership.

haner on December 27, 2011 at 5:51 PM

Romney’s spokeswoman ripped Gingrich on MSNBC

It would be nice if the GOP candidates would not go on that network to dump on other GOP folk. I am all for attacking each other, but you don’t have to grovel in front of the DNC propaganda network in order to do it. This is even more so in the case of Romney who has no real conservative cred as a political leader yet.

William Eaton on December 27, 2011 at 5:51 PM

LevinFan on December 27, 2011 at 5:49 PM

Hard to have a huge market for creating jobs when your unemployment was already as low as 4% and you don’t have a rush of illegals coming into your state due to other border states attracting them/anti-illegal policies you put into place.

Also, if Newt’s going for the ‘SAY THAT TO MY FACE YOU JERK!’ defense against Mitt Romney, then Obama will probably make his head explode.

WealthofNations on December 27, 2011 at 5:52 PM

Look, I know Romney isn’t a perfect conservative,

WolvenOne on December 27, 2011 at 5:42 PM

FIFY

besser tot als rot on December 27, 2011 at 5:52 PM

Southernblogger on December 27, 2011 at 5:51 PM

Already done.

haner on December 27, 2011 at 5:32 PM

WealthofNations on December 27, 2011 at 5:52 PM

Point well stated, WolfenOne. A VAT is not inherently Socialist at all. The problem is that it’s been traditionally used to finance the ravenous appetite for other peoples’ money that Socialism needs to survive.
The other problem of course is that, when Newt or Mitt or any other political engineer decides to back one as a substitute for another tax, the Socialists will accept the bargain to get the VAT and then renege on the repeal of the substitute.
The only viable way to institute a VAT is if you repeal the 16th amendment to the Constitution, and THEN bring up the VAT. In other words, slam the vault door shut on their fingers and THEN start designing a VAT. Otherwise, you just end up with both and look stupid in the process.

Lew on December 27, 2011 at 5:53 PM

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on December 27, 2011 at 5:34 PM

Oh, gotta love it. Mitt “balanced the budget”; the bad bad Dem legislature and the people of Mass were responsible for RomneyCare.

ddrintn on December 27, 2011 at 5:53 PM

There is nothing conservative about the man except his family life.

Barney Frank and Bernie Sanders are Northeastern liberals.

haner on December 27, 2011 at 5:51 PM

They are flat out socialists and perhaps even Marxists if they had the power to make it happen.

sharrukin on December 27, 2011 at 5:53 PM

Newt is weak. All these desperate attacks on Romney are weak.

Romney is the guy who can win. I’m voting Romney!

bluegill on December 27, 2011 at 5:54 PM

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on December 27, 2011 at 5:45 PM

It is not as popular as you think. It is bankrupting Hospitals, clinics are hurting. It is also federally subsidized, so all the rest of us in the other 49 states are paying for it.

portlandon on December 27, 2011 at 5:54 PM

besser tot als rot on December 27, 2011 at 5:52 PM

OH HO HO HO HO HO! So witty! You slay me with your cunning and comedy.

WealthofNations on December 27, 2011 at 5:55 PM

How long until we find out that Newt once favored a VAT?

Southernblogger on December 27, 2011 at 5:51 PM

Heh. Exactly. Won’t matter though. Fair or not, I think the VA ballot thing is pretty much the end of everyone not named Mitt or Paul. The “disorganized, undisciplined, unserious” memes will be too hard for the others to overcome considering the current state of their warchests.

Here’s hoping for a brokered convention.

Kataklysmic on December 27, 2011 at 5:55 PM

Conservatives, why are we wasting time on these two establishment candidates – Romney and Gingrich?

Please vote for Perry and send these two into retirement. One can continue collecting $1.6 million for history lessons and the other can continue putting up huge mansions.

Perry is the only candidate that will shrink Govt. to its proper size and role.

The rest are just snake oil salesmen.

TheRightMan on December 27, 2011 at 5:56 PM

Kataklysmic on December 27, 2011 at 5:55 PM

You realize that a brokered convention would only produce an even MORE establishment candidate than the ones you consider to be establishment, right?

WealthofNations on December 27, 2011 at 5:56 PM

“11 million new jobs.”

Picture taken in a Borders bookstore.

Seriously . . .?

Optics, people.

JoseQuinones on December 27, 2011 at 5:57 PM

haner on December 27, 2011 at 5:51 PM

Why do Mittbots keep flogging that FM/Gingrich thing while sugarcoating the individual mandate that Mitt put in place? Romney and Gingrich both suck out loud.

ddrintn on December 27, 2011 at 5:57 PM

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on December 27, 2011 at 5:45 PM

That you for admitting Obamacare will become popular ones the treats start kicking in

liberal4life on December 27, 2011 at 5:57 PM

Say that to my face!

Say that to my face!

Say that to my face!

Say that to my face!

Say that to my face!

Why do I always feel like Newt wants to bring back the duel to whoever is arguing with?

haner on December 27, 2011 at 5:58 PM

whomever

haner on December 27, 2011 at 5:58 PM

TheRightMan on December 27, 2011 at 5:56 PM

Dude, let it go. Seriously, there’s stick to it-tiveness and then there’s pulling out the Ostrich trick.

WealthofNations on December 27, 2011 at 5:58 PM

Lew on December 27, 2011 at 5:53 PM

Could not possibly agree with you more. Everyone here who thinks the VAT isn’t such a bad idea needs to read this! Because if it gets added on instead of replacing something, I guarantee you won’t like the results!

MelonCollie on December 27, 2011 at 5:59 PM

What a disgusting comparison!

MelonCollie on December 27, 2011 at 5:30 PM

What was he comparing? I never got the story straight.

Mimzey on December 27, 2011 at 6:00 PM

He’s a northeastern liberal actually.

sharrukin on December 27, 2011 at 5:47 PM

Agreed. And he is likely to be the Republican nominee unless more Republicans raise these issues now, rather than waiting for them to be used by Obama in the general.

GaltBlvnAtty on December 27, 2011 at 6:01 PM

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on December 27, 2011 at 5:45 PM

What is the argument? I don’t see how it defeats the argument that Romney is an unprincipled hack who has no qualms about implementing leftist policy when it suits him.

besser tot als rot on December 27, 2011 at 6:01 PM

The thing is, when either Mitt or Newt looks into the mirror, they see each other staring back.

Kini on December 27, 2011 at 6:01 PM

haner on December 27, 2011 at 5:19 PM

MelonCollie on December 27, 2011 at 5:30 PM

Agreed. Newt is incompetent and it’s showing.

Mitt’s reference to Lucille Ball and the chocolate factory is spot on because it’s a perfect metaphor for Gingrch’s campaign.

At this point Newt would be better off just stuffing chocolates in his mouth because the Virginia ballot issue is a big fail for him, you can’t spin it.

sheryl on December 27, 2011 at 6:02 PM

WealthofNations on December 27, 2011 at 5:58 PM

At least he doesn’t go around calling everyone a retard for not supporting his candidate like all of the Romney supporters do.

besser tot als rot on December 27, 2011 at 6:03 PM