Kristol: Anyone want to jump in now?

posted at 11:46 am on December 27, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

Throughout this Republican primary process, Bill Kristol at the Weekly Standard has offered a consistent vision.  He wants someone else.  In the latest edition of TWS, Kristol makes one more call for an all-in, calling it “A Time for Choosing,” and not just for voters but for Republican leaders (emphasis mine):

And it is a moment, as you prepare to cast your vote, for others to reflect on whether they don’t owe it to their country to step forward. As this is no time for voters to choose fecklessly, it is no time for leaders to duck responsibility. Those who have stood aside—and who now may have concluded, as they may not have when they announced their original decision, that the current field is lacking—will surely hear the words of Thomas Paine echoing down the centuries: “The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman.” Now is not a time for leaders to engage in clever calculations of the odds of success, or to succumb to concerns about how they will look if they enter the fray and fall short. Now is a time to come to the aid of our country.

Clearly, every election is “a time for choosing.” For the last several cycles, we are told that this is the most consequential election in our lifetimes, which is almost by definition true, since it’s the only variable at that particular moment in selecting leadership.  With the economy stalled and the question of American leadership in the new century very much at stake, though, this election does appear much more consequential than 2004, and perhaps more than 2008, although the financial-sector collapse just before that election in retrospect makes the choice seem more consequential — and not in a good way, considering the outcome.

For those who stood aside, is there time to jump back into the race?  Possibly, although the access to key primaries in this cycle have already closed.  We’re hearing about pushing for a “brokered convention” once again, waiting until September to choose a nominee, which would put Republicans at a significant disadvantage to Barack Obama and the Democrats.  Furthermore, a brokered convention would favor candidates with closer ties to the “establishment” of the party, not to the grassroots of movement conservatives.  The term “brokering” is a big, huge hint in that direction; we wouldn’t know who the “brokers” are specifically, but I can pretty much assure you that it won’t be your local Tea Party organizer.  Anti-establishment conservatives should be praying for anything but a brokered convention, and recall that the primary process was one way to keep the party from choosing its nominees in the proverbial smoke-filled back rooms.

Speaking of anti-establishment conservatives, it’s become pretty popular for this year’s crop of candidates to style themselves as such.  Jonah Goldberg deconstructs that notion in today’s LA Times:

For the last few years, the rank and file of the GOP and the conservative movement have become deeply disenchanted with what they see as the rubber-spined, foot-dragging quislings drinking from a trough of chablis at some Georgetown party. The term “RINO” (Republican In Name Only) has become an epithet of ideological enforcement, spit out in much the same way Mao cursed “running dog capitalists.”

In 2010, the tea parties and the conservative base (not always synonymous terms) tried to cull as many RINOs from the herd as they could in the primaries. They were extremely successful, with only a few stumbles.

Things are messier this time around. And to some extent this is to be expected. Presidential primaries rely on much larger pools of voters than primaries in midterms. Moreover, rather than a single tea party candidate challenging a worn-out incumbent, the field has had lots of candidates seeking the tea party or “true conservative” mantle.

Each of them has tried to play the populist card, not just against the liberal media establishment but also against the so-called conservative establishment. “I believe it is a deliberate attempt to damage me because I am not, quote unquote, the establishment choice,” explained Herman Cain when asked about his troubles.

Herman Cain may have been the only true anti-establishment candidate in the field this year, or at least significant enough to be included in the debates.  Michele Bachmann might also qualify; even though she has served in Washington for more than five years, the GOP has mainly blocked her from any leadership positions, and the same could be said for Ron Paul despite his long years in Washington.  But that’s not true of almost everyone else, not even Rick Santorum, who served in some leadership roles while in Congress.  Yesterday I described Newt Gingrich as an establishment Republican, which drew a lot of criticism, but Gingrich was Speaker of the House for several years, and has remained in the Beltway for decades as a Republican leader and a think-tank icon.  Even Mitt Romney, who served a single term as governor of Massachusetts, has fewer “establishment” credentials than Gingrich does.  If a Speaker of the House is not party “establishment,” then the term is meaningless.

Even if a candidate were to jump in at this late date, it would have to be one who could reliably raise money fast, organize effectively, have good name recognition, be well prepared on policy, and survive the kind of intense vetting that has derailed Cain, Rick Perry, Bachmann, and has deflated Gingrich’s bubble.  That’s a recipe for an establishment candidate, not an outsider.  We should stop fantasizing about white knights riding to the rescue and focus on the choices we have in front of us now.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

OT: Sen. Ben Nelson set to announce that he will not seek reelection. Legacy of the Cornhusker Kickback?

Just Sayin on December 27, 2011 at 1:49 PM

Thanks for confirming our suspicions that Iowans are simply too dumb to be allowed such a prominent role in the electoral process.

Hollowpoint on December 27, 2011 at 1:45 PM

Translation: Disagree with Hollowpoint, and you are dumb.

Wow. Such a theologian you are, Hollowpoint.

portlandon on December 27, 2011 at 1:50 PM

And why are you saying ‘your’?

KirknBurker on December 27, 2011 at 1:04 PM

BedBug is a troll agent provocateur. It comes into threads, tosses a few grenades, and slithers away.

Trafalgar on December 27, 2011 at 1:41 PM

BedBug is a voice of reason, but has a life and cannot camp out on a conservative website all day like Trafalgar.
I have yet to see any reason to vote republican.

BedBug on December 27, 2011 at 1:51 PM

Looks like a Palin reunion on HA today!

BobMbx on December 27, 2011 at 11:52 AM

*waving!*

We’re putting the band back together.

Fallon on December 27, 2011 at 1:51 PM

I understand completely that the entitlement minded are a problem in this country, but that isn’t what this thread is about.

NotCoach on December 27, 2011 at 1:24 PM

This thread is essentially about the dismal position that the R’s are in and I say this as someone that has interned in a high and influential Republican county. You need a lot more boots on the ground than these current candidates can provide.

You need more than being an Anti-candidate. Perry can’t debate. Romney is bland and if we’re going to get bland, at least give me Daniels, Huntsman or the wonky-ness of Paul Ryan.

I live in WI and Romney is no Walker. None of the candidates are Walker. And I strongly thing that if/when Walker wins the re-election bid, that he will be the next Presidential contender.

As far as a part-time Congress, that works well in theory, horrible in practice. I would like to work on a way to get to that. Such that you move from a full year to 3/4 and then part-time, if it is possible. But you can’t be that bold because in truth, politics is a 24 hour, 365 calendar year affair for some folks. It’s just the reality of it.

If you can explain to me the candidate that would have the staying power to not only attack Obama, but to go after the GOP with the ground support needed in free volunteers willing to go all out, then please go ahead and do so. I don’t currently see the candidate that has the ability to beat Obama. That’s not saying that I think Palin can or will. That remains to be seen. But I would rather go down in a fight of ideals than lose with milquetoast. But that’s just me.

Midwestprincesse on December 27, 2011 at 1:52 PM

Seems like everybody wants someone who is not in the race…for a candidate.
I remember everybody screaming for Rick Perry to take the dive…then, once he did…oh…he dove alright!
I don’t care what any of their shortcomings are-LOOK WHAT THE HE11 IS IN THE WHITE HOUSE! They could be Barney Frank in a dress…I don’t care…I’m gonna vote for them!
(Im going to stay home…bawaaaaaaah…I’m going to vote third party….bawaaaah…I don’t like this…bawaaaaah…I don’t like that…bawaaaah…I’m gonna suck my thumb….bawaaaaah! My diaper is soaked….bawaaaaah! Milky is cold…bawaaaaah!)
Let’s work with what we got, instead of beating the sheet out of each other. No wonder the trolls that come in here don’t just SDASTFU!

KOOLAID2 on December 27, 2011 at 1:54 PM

Translation: Disagree with Hollowpoint, and you are dumb.

Wow. Such a theologian you are, Hollowpoint.

portlandon on December 27, 2011 at 1:50 PM

I thought that if a person disagreed with Hollowpoint, that immediately show one to elite smartypants status. No? I’ll still go with that philosophy though. It rings true. :)

Midwestprincesse on December 27, 2011 at 1:54 PM

I agree Ed..:)

Dire Straits on December 27, 2011 at 1:54 PM

guys, look at this great ad for sarah palin!! it’s not made by the people who are buying TV ads in iowa so it won’t be on TV, but spread it around the internet!! [click here]

we have a week until iowa, to spread the word that iowans can write in “sarah palin.” if she gets a surprising amount of votes, it might sway her to jump in!! (plus it will scare the establishment) people have been reaching out to iowa TV, radio, newspapers, internet, and other things. (for example, i have been in the process of creating internet ads.) but you can help too.

want to help out? join the fb group here, and follow the twitter account here. even if you don’t have twitter, please look at that account because it has many helpful links. anyone can help by donating money, or if you don’t have a lot of money, just spread the word around to people.

-palin can definitely raise money fast. she has many supporters willing to donate a lot, and help get others to donate.

-palin can organize effectively- her supporters are very motivated to organize, you all know that from seeing organize4palin months ago. and look at us now- we’re already organizing when she’s not a candidate yet! lol

-palin obviously has name recognition.

-palin has great policies, if you go through months of her fb notes, speeches, and interviews, she lays it all out. her biggest passion is reform- going after corrupt political elites in BOTH parties.

-palin has survived intense vetting already, more than the others have.

come on, we have to ask sarah palin to run. let’s make an iowa surprise happen.

Sachiko on December 27, 2011 at 1:55 PM

I need a one way ticket to the CUDA ZONE!

SMACKRUNNER on December 27, 2011 at 1:55 PM

The reason I say ‘your’ is because I don’t buy into your BS.
Pick Mitt. At least you can blame him for not being conservative enough, like John McCain, when you lose in a landslide.

BedBug on December 27, 2011 at 1:15 PM

No. I’m not picking Mitt and well over the half the voters won’t pick Mitt.

What is with you people? He’s a progressive. Duh!

Get real!

We need to continue to reform the GOP, and start gradually moving the ‘overton’ window back to the right. We move it further to the left with Mittens.

Start looking at the future. He’s a damn progressive. Get over him.

Even Newt would be better than him.

KirknBurker on December 27, 2011 at 1:57 PM

They SHOULD be fearing Palin….and with good reason.

tencole on December 27, 2011 at 12:48 PM

Obama destroyed McCain, 365 to 173 votes in the Electoral College. Which state will Palin win that McCain didn’t?

inklake on December 27, 2011 at 1:57 PM

There is only person that can jump in late and win and that is Sarah Palin. Palin has the support and the name recognition to pull it off. Vote Rogue. Write-In P-A-L-I-N . Only 5 Letters.
Long live the Arctic Fox, Sarah Palin. Run Sarah Run. Sarah Palin 2012. Don’t compromise.

CoolChange80 on December 27, 2011 at 1:58 PM

CoolChange80 on December 27, 2011 at 1:58 PM

*facepalm*..:)

Dire Straits on December 27, 2011 at 2:00 PM

KirknBurker on December 27, 2011 at 1:57PM

Kirk, please don’t feed the troll.

Trafalgar on December 27, 2011 at 2:01 PM

Sarah Palin? A Palin presidency? Are you people freakin’ kidding me? That’s the best alternative Republican candidate the Tea Party folks would come up with? To be PRESIDENT? THE LEADER OF WHAT REMAINS OF THE FREE WORLD?

Good gawd people, you must be living in a bubble. You are embarrassing yourselves. I am a staunch, unbending, patriotic, independent secular conservative (I am religious but firmly believe in the separation of church and state). Being a Patriot, I cannot in good conscience vote for an establishment Republican. This would be a vote for the corrupt status quo. But I could never in good conscience vote for that vapid, self-centered bimbo either. I feel myself becoming more and more alienated from the Tea Party crowd because quite frankly it scares me that many of these folks want this woman in a leadership position in Washington.

If the election were held today I would sit on my hands and not vote – for the first time in my life – as a form of protest. (I respect Congressman Paul and believe him to be a Patriot, but he doesn’t have a snowball’s chance in hell of getting the establishment Republican Party nomination, and he should have the intelligence to know that. I would seriously consider voting for him as an independent candidate, however.) President Obama being reelected would be a bad thing, but I know the establishment Republicans in congress, even if a minority, could and would simply gridlock the system for four more years to minimize the power of the Obama regime – and the strategy would work (as it has the last three years) albeit at the expense of our nation and its people. The election of an establishment Republican to the presidency would not help this nation in any way, but merely continue the corruption, the power-grabbing, the destruction of civil liberties, and the decline of the power of the constitution. The way I see it, with these two parties in control all roads lead to ruin and revolution.

I thought the Tea Party was going to be the movement that changed the direction of this nation, but I no longer believe this to be true. I no longer align myself with the Tea Party because the movement sold its soul for thirty pieces of silver when it allowed itself to be co-opted by the Republican establishment.

God Bless America – I truly fear for her future.

AttaBoyLuther on December 27, 2011 at 2:01 PM

McCain gave up the campaign, sometime after Lehman collapsed, Schmidt as much as admitted it, the following spring, she had to carry the campaign, including him, while Schmidt and Wallace sniped
at her, through Halperin, Heileman, Balz, et al.

narciso on December 27, 2011 at 2:03 PM

AttaBoyLuther on December 27, 2011 at 2:01 PM

Your post is confusing to say the least…LOL

idesign on December 27, 2011 at 2:06 PM

You would rather vote for someone who’s been courting the opinions of Nazis and survivalist, for fifteen years or so, who allows through
Alex Jones, the suggestion that 9/11 is a government plot,

narciso on December 27, 2011 at 2:07 PM

At every step, the Establishment has settled for every lopsided deal, proclaiming victory, then realizing they surrendered all
substantial and moral ground, this was before the Tea Party Congress
was even convened officially,

narciso on December 27, 2011 at 2:14 PM

Seriously who, other than HA and on blogs, is asking her to run?

I haven’t seen any groundswell of support from offline people. I haven’t heard anything on the news about a rally or petitions or anything asking her to run.

She’s a wonderful conservative voice that’s for sure and I’m glad she’s in the party. I just don’t think she’s as popular anymore with the offline people as some people think.

gophergirl on December 27, 2011 at 1:35 PM

There’s been a recent radio ad, TV commercial push along with a write-in effort.

While not mainstream, even the smallest of a percentage of caucus voters would signify dissatisfaction. There are also some Palin supporters that are pushing for Ron Paul to win in VA and IA.

Who knows what will happen. As of this point, I’m an ABO until someone like Palin gets in. I do try to respect others and their “like” for their candidate of choice though. I personally am just not enthused.

Midwestprincesse on December 27, 2011 at 2:14 PM

Hey, idesign. I suppose,”AttaBoyLuther”, is trying to pose as a MODERATE Paulbot. That should be enough to confuse anyone.

bigmike on December 27, 2011 at 2:15 PM

Yea, I wish there were someone stronger in the field running because Lord knows how bad we need a win, and I’m not thrilled with the front runners at all. But there isn’t. So I’ll just get behind whoever the nominee is and hope for the best.

scalleywag on December 27, 2011 at 2:16 PM

…I actually think in his heart of hearts, McCain would love to see Palin run, so he can say, “See, it wasn’t me.”

inklake on December 27, 2011 at 1:57 PM

I started to post a response when I decided to refresh the page and noticed the following:

at her, through Halperin, Heileman, Balz, et al.

narciso on December 27, 2011 at 2:03 PM

McCain threw her to the sharks and let his own campaign staff backstab her. She was out there on her own without the freedom to defend herself or to go on the offensive. McCain fought a toothless campaign.

freedomfirst on December 27, 2011 at 2:17 PM

come on, we have to ask sarah palin to run. let’s make an iowa surprise happen.

Sachiko on December 27, 2011 at 1:55 PM

It seems you or someone will have to convince her to run. There are ads running in Iowa on TV and radio, paid for by her loyal supporters to persuade her to reconsider. So far, she has not requested them to stop spending their hard earned money, and she has had ample opportunity to do so. I am not sure why she would allow this effort to continue, other than that she may be thinking about a late entry.

SheetAnchor on December 27, 2011 at 2:18 PM

bigmike on December 27, 2011 at 2:15 PM

Sure looks like a Paulbot…LOL

idesign on December 27, 2011 at 2:20 PM

Midwestprincesse on December 27, 2011 at 2:14 PM

Thanks for the info.

gophergirl on December 27, 2011 at 2:21 PM

aww man, the video i linked to has been listed as “private” *sob* whyyy!! it was a good video! =(

you wish ron paul could be president? a ron paul presidency? you have got to be kidding me if you think he’s the best candidate we can come up with!! you think ron paul can be THE LEADER OF THE FREE WORLD?!?!

seriously, you think paul is better than palin? laughable.

you’d fit right in at huffington post.

(I am religious but firmly believe in the separation of church and state).

huffington post is that way *points left*

Sachiko on December 27, 2011 at 2:25 PM

KirknBurker on December 27, 2011 at 1:57PM

Kirk, please don’t feed the troll.

Trafalgar on December 27, 2011 at 2:01 PM

Translation: I cannot articulate or defend my stance on issues unless it is an echo-chamber, so just shut up!

BedBug on December 27, 2011 at 2:27 PM

SheetAnchor on December 27, 2011 at 2:18 PM

Maybe Sarah is going to run..:)

Dire Straits on December 27, 2011 at 2:29 PM

This post makes two things abundantly clear, 1-Palin can still get the hit count up there, 2-the recent open registrations have brought a fresh perspective crop of PDS`ers to HotGas.

NY Conservative on December 27, 2011 at 2:31 PM

sorry for repeating myself but not every person sees every post so i want to say again: whether you have a twitter account or not, look at the earthquake twitter! there are links to videos, articles, and more, all related to asking palin to run.

SheetAnchor on December 27, 2011 at 2:18 PM

she might be convinced to run because this field is just so bad! i seriously think she is at least thinking about it. she has not closed the door, you can tell that from her recent interviews. she doesn’t like the candidates, she doesn’t want to endorse.

i have paid for some internet ads that will be shown to people in iowa who visit conservative and election-related websites… hopefully i can get these ads posted soon, i’m still in the process.

in addition, as you said, others are spending money on TV/radio ads. there are several different kinds of efforts we are making.

but, sarah didn’t tell us to do this, this is our choice. so we take responsibility.

still, i really do think she’s thinking about it.

Sachiko on December 27, 2011 at 2:35 PM

NY Conservative on December 27, 2011 at 2:31 PM

Interesting that you wrote this.
While reading this thread I have enjoyed the sincere love of country demonstrated by most of the commenters, both old and new, but I am taken with the overall dismay regarding the current candidates. Somewhere along the way we, or the system, or maybe both, seem to have failed.

GaltBlvnAtty on December 27, 2011 at 2:41 PM

BedBug on December 27, 2011 at 2:27 PM

Show us how it’s done. Explain why Obama deserves to win another term. Defend your stance on the issues.

Kataklysmic on December 27, 2011 at 2:44 PM

BedBug on December 27, 2011 at 2:27 PM

FIFY. I articulated my position and stance very effectively on other threads you’ve fire-bombed. I haven’t taken a stance on this particular thread, so I’m not sure what you’re prating on about. Just saw you’d slithered in and wanted to warn those who have run into you yet.

Trafalgar on December 27, 2011 at 2:48 PM

who have not run into you yet.

Doh!

Trafalgar on December 27, 2011 at 2:50 PM

Bachmann? Good Lord give it up.

And she’s the last person Kristol is calling for. Christie, Boring Pawlenty – Cheezit cracker even Palin. There has to be someone willing.

Can’t we draft Lynne Cheney?

SarahW on December 27, 2011 at 2:51 PM

Kataklysmic on December 27, 2011 at 2:44 PM

I hope you had a Merry Christmas..:)

Dire Straits on December 27, 2011 at 2:53 PM

I hope you had a Merry Christmas..:)

Dire Straits on December 27, 2011 at 2:53 PM

You too, buddy. I’m hoping we get a happy new year. Next Tuesday should be very interesting.

Kataklysmic on December 27, 2011 at 2:54 PM

How about an anti-establishment candidate with no name recognition, but who could survive the vetting process? How many Americans still love freedom and how many are willing to relinquish their freedom to a benevolent (or not so benevolent) government that promises to to take care of them (at least until elections are a thing of the past)?

Ordinary American on December 27, 2011 at 2:58 PM

Kataklysmic on December 27, 2011 at 2:44 PM

I ‘m hoping for a Happy New Year also..Yes Tuesday should be interesting..:)

Dire Straits on December 27, 2011 at 2:59 PM

BedBug on December 27, 2011 at 2:27 PM

Kataklysmic on December 27, 2011 at 2:44 PM

Security: He took out Al Qaeda’s biggest targets. He got us out of Iraq. There is great change in the middle east and democracy is taking shape under his watch.

Economy: Rome was not built in one day. It will take more tha four years to clean up the mess the republicans put us in since they took over in 1995. We would have gone into another depression without his stimulus plans. The number of unemployed have gone down. 2012 will be even better and Obama will be able to hang on to the presidency and continue his work to heal the country. He’s for everyone, not just the 1%.

The healthcare bill will insure that all Americans have healthcare and will not continue the mess that we have now where the uninsured either have to go to the ER for simple care or go without.

He is the only choice in 2012.

BedBug on December 27, 2011 at 3:01 PM

SARAH PALIN with her sterling record as Governor of Alaska
accomplished more in 2.5 years than liberal-squishy moderate
fraud Willard Rockefeller Romney could never achieve even if
he had 10 terms of his lousy,mediocre governorship.

1)Went after crooks in her own party and sent several members
of the CBC-Corrupt Bastards Club(that’s how they called themselves
in Alaska) to prison.
No governor has ever done this ever at any state!

2)Defeated the biggest Oil Companies in the world who bribed
corrupt Alaska politicians and had them in their pockets for
decades.

3)Cut Alaska budget by 9.9% in real dollars.
No governor has done that,anywhere at any time.

4)Left her beloved Alaska $12 Billions in surplus!

…………etc………etc…….etc…….

DRAFT SARAHCUDA!!!!!!!THE HAPPY ARCTIC WARRIOR!!!!!!

TEX on December 27, 2011 at 3:01 PM

who have not run into you yet.

Doh!

Trafalgar on December 27, 2011 at 2:50 PM

Genius here.
Stop stalking me.

BedBug on December 27, 2011 at 3:02 PM

Even if a candidate were to jump in at this late date, it would have to be one who could reliably raise money fast, organize effectively, have good name recognition, be well prepared on policy, and survive the kind of intense vetting that has derailed Cain, Rick Perry, Bachmann, and has deflated Gingrich’s bubble. That’s a recipe for an establishment candidate, not an outsider.

The first sentence (the list of prerequisites) does not in fact imply the second. Indeed, an establishment candidate is very likely to fail on the last two counts: the establishment candidate may be well-versed in the wrong policy positions, and may have abundant skeletons in his or her closet that simply haven’t been worth exposing until a Presidential campaign.

Like it or not, Palin does have all of these recipe ingredients. Those who maintain that she’s not well-versed on policy have not been paying attention over the last several years. And she has a national network of volunteers and access to a fundraising mechanism through her SarahPAC mailing list and other Palin-centric groups.

Christie can’t run because to do so would be to betray Romney.

Ryan and Daniels and other prominent names haven’t got the money or organization to mount a national campaign at this late date.

stuiec on December 27, 2011 at 3:06 PM

This is a thread about wet dreams over the candidates who are not running. So as a matter of fact, it is about Palin as one such candidate.

NotCoach on December 27, 2011 at 1:24 PM

Anyone who mentions “wet dreams” in a political
posting is obviously deprived.

Amjean on December 27, 2011 at 3:07 PM

I have never held office and have no worse than a speeding ticket
25 years ago.

I should run for president

gerrym51 on December 27, 2011 at 3:07 PM

Wow, that’s just invincible ignorance, yes he got Bin Laden, although
Awlaki, was possibly a larger catch, but he’s delivered three countries to the Muslim Brotherhood if not more, Tunisia, Libya, and Egypt.

narciso on December 27, 2011 at 3:08 PM

It will take more tha four years

BedBug on December 27, 2011 at 3:01 PM

Genius here.
Stop stalking me.

BedBug on December 27, 2011 at 3:02 PM

See, you have a typo and I’m quite willing to accept it as a typo…it happens. I have a typo and it’s a reflection on my intelligence? OK, got it.

He [Obama] is the only choice in 2012.

BedBug on December 27, 2011 at 3:01 PM

‘Nuff said.

Trafalgar on December 27, 2011 at 3:10 PM

Sarah is running around trying to greenlight a snowmobile show….that’s who you want as President?!?!?

ZippyZ on December 27, 2011 at 3:12 PM

CUDA

Metro on December 27, 2011 at 3:13 PM

Security: He took out Al Qaeda’s biggest targets.

Yes he did. And I give him kudos. However, he did it using policies and an infrastructure that he condemned while campaigning for president.

What role if any do you feel that Republicans had in the community reinvestment act and on forcing financial insutitutions to lower home lending standards? What did Democrats do to reverse these policies after taking over congress in 2006?

We would have gone into another depression without his stimulus plans

Based on what metrics? Jobs “saved” or created?

The number of unemployed have gone down.

Wrong. The unemployment rate was 7.7% when Obama took office.

ABO 2012

Kataklysmic on December 27, 2011 at 3:13 PM

No, she’s not, thank you for playing,

narciso on December 27, 2011 at 3:13 PM

The most popular quarterback is usually the back-up quarterback

gerrym51 on December 27, 2011 at 3:15 PM

It will take more tha four years

BedBug on December 27, 2011 at 3:01 PM
Genius here.
Stop stalking me.

BedBug on December 27, 2011 at 3:02 PM

He [Obama] is the only choice in 2012.

BedBug on December 27, 2011 at 3:01 PM
‘Nuff said.

Trafalgar on December 27, 2011 at 3:10 PM

That tortured post looks like your lower intestine….and is full of the same thing.
Here’s a twenty…go get a life.

BedBug on December 27, 2011 at 3:15 PM

GaltBlvnAtty on December 27, 2011 at 2:41 PM

I’d say Palin failed on a key count: she judged that Perry’s entry to the race made her own run unviable. She assumed, as did a whole lot of others, that Perry would be a formidable candidate occupying the “Commonsense Conservative” space.

Turns out Perry is an abysmal campaigner for national office, completely unready for prime time. Seriously: $15 million in his war chest and he still couldn’t manage to qualify for the ballot in Virginia? Three successful runs for Texas governor and he can’t hold his own on behind a debate podium?

I am pretty sure Palin is not going to run at this late date, given the enormous hurdles she’d have to overcome to get a campaign up to speed. But I am also pretty sure she’s regretting her decision not to run, because she can now see how beatable the current field is.

stuiec on December 27, 2011 at 3:15 PM

ZippyZ – Mark Burnett shot that rumor down. Palin is not “trying to greenlight a snowmobile show.”

debg on December 27, 2011 at 3:15 PM

AttaBoyLuther on December 27, 2011 at 2:01 PM

Meds. Get back on them.

Irritable Pundit on December 27, 2011 at 3:15 PM

With Dole, Bush, Sununu, and many other establishment Republicans also endorsing Mitt Romney–with many openly criticizing Newt Gingrich, it is rich to see so many pundits try to claim that Newt is the establishment candidate. It should be obvious to any careful observer of this campaign that the Republican establishment loathes and fears Gingrich.

Ceteris Paribus on December 27, 2011 at 3:16 PM

Midwestprincesse on December 27, 2011 at 1:52 PM

and you aren’t alone.

rightConcept on December 27, 2011 at 3:18 PM

The number of unemployed have gone down.

Wrong. The unemployment rate was 7.7% when Obama took office.

ABO 2012

Kataklysmic on December 27, 2011 at 3:13 PM

You forgot to mention that while the population of working-age Americans has grown, the number of jobs has shrunk under Obama, with many more discouraged workers swelling the ranks of the uncounted unemployed.

stuiec on December 27, 2011 at 3:19 PM

The problem is not just what is left in front of us but what they will do to us from behind if they get in office much like the current occupant who stinks up the WH.

bbinfl on December 27, 2011 at 3:21 PM

Security: He took out Al Qaeda’s biggest targets.

We would have gone into another depression without his stimulus plans

Based on what metrics? Jobs “saved” or created?

The number of unemployed have gone down.

Wrong. The unemployment rate was 7.7% when Obama took office.

ABO 2012

Kataklysmic on December 27, 2011 at 3:13 PM

We were in this boat with the world under Bush. He made enemies with everyone and further grew the terrorist pool. Obama has reached out and the middle east is changing. Bush only lobbed bombs.

The republicans had from 1995 to 2007 to clean it up. They chose to fatten their own wallets and the economic bubble burst. Not Obama’s fault. He was left to clean up the mess. This collapse was unprecedented and we were bleeding jobs and Obama’s policies have stemmed the flow.
You act as if Bush didn’t have anything to do with this collapse. He oversaw it for eight years, left a broken cow try and Obama was there to clean up the mess.

I hope you have a good psychiatrist on standby when Obama is reelected.

BedBug on December 27, 2011 at 3:21 PM

BedBug on December 27, 2011 at 3:15 PM

Well, how can I possibly overcome that incredible logic and mature, reasoned arguement? But thanks for proving my initial point. Have a nice day.

Trafalgar on December 27, 2011 at 3:21 PM

ZippyZ on December 27, 2011 at 3:12 PM

Hey dumba**, just because you post nonsense doesn’t make it true…

idesign on December 27, 2011 at 3:22 PM

Sending back the bust of Churchill to Great Britain is making friends? Encouraging Israel to return to pre 1967 borders is reaching out? This imbecile has pissed on our two best allies and you have audacity to talk to me about Bush? Yeah, the Middle East is changing all right. Iran is about to get a nuclear weapon while Obama sits on his hands. Maybe if he says pretty please with sugar on top they will give us our stealth drone back.

I hope you have a good psychiatrist on standby when Obama is reelected.

BedBug on December 27, 2011 at 3:21 PM

I hope you have a tent and food storage on standby when every single job creator goes Galt upon Obama’s reelection.

Kataklysmic on December 27, 2011 at 3:29 PM

BedBug on December 27, 2011 at 3:15 PM

Trafalgar on December 27, 2011 at 3:21 PM

You lose. Have a nice day.

BedBug on December 27, 2011 at 3:34 PM

I hope you have a good psychiatrist on standby when Obama is reelected.

BedBug on December 27, 2011 at 3:21 PM

Kataklysmic on December 27, 2011 at 3:29 PM

They have no choice…Great Britain and Israel have to stand with us. And, should we lob a bomb over there, W? How was he supposed to just get it back?

BedBug on December 27, 2011 at 3:38 PM

How incredible is this statement?

Wow, she’s been in Congress a whole five years, accomplished nothing of note except drawing attention to herself, but because this newbie with nothing to offer doesn’t get a leadership position it is because she’s been “blocked?”

Well, in the sense that any incompetent who puts in for a promotion which is elected by her peers and doesn’t get the votes is “blocked,” you could say that of Bachmann.

There is a good reason why we seldom choose Presidents from Congress – they are not remotely qualified. We’ve only elected sitting members four times in our long history, and only Garfield could be said to have been successful. Incidentally, so far none of these has lived to finish their first term, either. Obama may be the first.

Adjoran on December 27, 2011 at 3:40 PM

Wow, bedbug’s name sure fits-yes, really we are better off under Obama. Right. Unemployment is lower-what, you didn’t know that 8.6% is lower than 7.8%? Don’t you listent to DWS? Regulations aren’t killing jobs. Think of all the jobs all that unemployment money is creating! And Obama went into Pakistan and took out OBL singlehandedly-no need for Marines or intelligence gained by rendition or waterboarding. It was even the first time he’d held a gun! And he boldly stuck to Bush’s prior plans for withdrawal from Iraq. Plus, Obama takes lots of vacations to stimulate the economy. And he and Michelle and Bo frequently use separate planes because we all know that carbon emissions from Democrats don’t cause climate change-only those from EEEEVVIIIILLL republicans do. And look at how high he’s getting the National Debt. He’s spending more than almost all prior presidents combined. If that’s not a mark of greatness, what is? It’s not like the Chinese are expecting to get that money back. Plus we can create inflation, so that debt is worthless, just like our savings-Paul Krugman says so, and he won a Nobel, so he must be right.

Unfortunately, there appears to be a large draft Palin movement on this thread. I agree, Sarah Palin would probably do a great job as president. She might even be able to win the Republican primary despite the incessant negative media propaganda. If she could get elected, I truly believe she would try to do the most to reform spending, balance the budget, and eliminate the incestuous ties between government and industry that are destroying our country’s prosperity.

But let’s face facts. Palin will not be able to win the general this cycle. She has a unjust reputation as a stupid, publicity hungry quitter. This narative has been repeated so incessently that the majority of Americans-including many Republicans-believe it. Maybe, if she gets a cabinet post and does a good job and doesn’t take a huge part of the spotlight, she might be able to get past the media in a future general presidential election, probably not as quickly as 2016 but maybe 2020.

Attempting to have Palin as the head of the Republican ticket this cycle will almost certainly result in another 4 years of Obama, even though I truly believe she would be much better than anyone that is still running. The media despise her and will stop at nothing to destroy her. Wouldn’t it be awesome to see her math SAT’s compared to Obama’s? I’ve got $5000 that says Palin’s are higher. Unfortunately, that doesn’t matter. Our opinions don’t matter. It’s the opinion of the typical voter as determined by the media filters that will determine the president.

Palin has no chance to make it through the media filter to the majority of voters.

talkingpoints on December 27, 2011 at 3:43 PM

It is hilarious to see so-called conservatives railing and wailing against “the Republican Establishment.” WHEN has “the Republican Establishment” ever been competent at anything? Have they not fumbled the ball on the one yard line time and time again? Are they not the Keystone Kops’ idea of an “establishment”?

It seems the ONLY group “the Republican Establishment” can ALWAYS beat like red-headed stepchildren is the conservatives. How is this possible?

Simple: they don’t beat us. In whatever form “the Republican Establishment” actually exists, it is neither pervasive, authoritative, or effective. It’s power springs only from the fertile paranoia of the right. Some of our conservatives cannot accept that it is they who have hurt our cause, NOT some murky uber-org of fat cats and power brokers.

Don’t be a conspiracy nut. Wake up and smell the coffee.

“The fault is not in our stars, dear Brutus, but in ourselves.”

Adjoran on December 27, 2011 at 3:45 PM

Engaging an Obama supporter is every bit as unproductive as participating in an occupy protest.

wolfsDad on December 27, 2011 at 3:45 PM

No trying to teach a pig, French,

narciso on December 27, 2011 at 3:48 PM

Uh, no. Au contraire: no “establishment” candidate could come close at such a late date. Due to the little support, and jaundiced perspective, of the base. Which they’d require to man the hustings.

So who?

P A L I N

…can accomplish all these things.

As she did previously, to an otherwise moribund McCain campaign. To the GOP’s eventually perfect horror.

But to our delight. Even for those of us to whom McCain’s decision was merely an introduction to the inimitable Sarah.

And you know this. So: shame on you Ed, for misstating the obvious.

…and as I’m sure rather quite a few have pointed out already (but I haven’t read through the thread – yet – because I was rather incensed at the conclusion of your article, and wanted to get this immediately out of the way).

Except I did read someone had posted “…we’re putting the band back together” and LOL’d.

Indeed.

Oh. And where do I sign up?

davisbr on December 27, 2011 at 3:53 PM

The number of unemployed have gone down.
Wrong. The unemployment rate was 7.7% when Obama took office.

ABO 2012

Kataklysmic on December 27, 2011 at 3:13 PM

stuiec on December 27, 2011 at 3:19 PM

This gamesmanship regarding the false unemployment numbers will continue, and probably accelerate, as we get closer to November 2012. “Unemployment having gone down” is repeated almost universally, and it will be a tough lie to overcome.

GaltBlvnAtty on December 27, 2011 at 3:53 PM

wolfsDad on December 27, 2011 at 3:45 PM

True. Using logic to combat emotion is always a losing proposition. However, if one’s endgame is simply to amuse oneself, one could do worse.

Kataklysmic on December 27, 2011 at 3:55 PM

Your tears, they taste so sweet. I cannot wait until Nivember.
Your stances on issues fall on quick sand.
Anger, bigotry, and hostility are not easily defended.
You hate your fellow man. Just admit it to yourselves and own it.

BedBug on December 27, 2011 at 3:58 PM

McLame! Don’t even bring up McCain. It WAS all about him. He is lucky to get the turn out he did.

Mr. Squishy pants had no heart or fire to go after Obama in the race…. he lost his “fight” back in Vietnam as a POW. Can’t piss-off the enemy you know.

Enough said about that.

mr_west on December 27, 2011 at 3:59 PM

I cannot wait until Nivember.

BedBug on December 27, 2011 at 3:58 PM

Here you go, friend.

Kataklysmic on December 27, 2011 at 4:10 PM

CAUTION: bedbug online.

S. D. on December 27, 2011 at 4:13 PM

…Palin has the strongest grass-roots support of any possible candidate; only she could jump in late and climb immediately to the top. The money and manpower available to Palin has yet to be tapped by any candidate – her supporters remain steadfastly dissatisfied with the current field and are ready to launch a hard-core campaign at a second’s notice (ed: my emphasis). Sarah Palin’s supporters, by and large, believe that a late-entry is a very real possibility and so far, most have refused to support any other candidate.

Pork-Chop on December 27, 2011 at 12:03 PM

This.

Succinct. To the point. Accurate.

davisbr on December 27, 2011 at 4:15 PM

Well someone COULD jump in now…

You could also jump into a pool with 2 inches of water, too, but that wouldn’t be such a good idea either.

MelonCollie on December 27, 2011 at 4:22 PM

Sarah Palin is the only one with the support and name recognition that can enter late and stop Romney. I doubt Newt can knock off Romney. Run Sarah Run.

CoolChange80 on December 27, 2011 at 4:24 PM

Don’t believe the lie that the lib media can take Sarah Palin out. They can’t. We the People won’t let them. Our will and determination is far greater than theirs and there are way more of us. We who love more, who have more to lose, will fight till we prevail. Cuda is the only one we can trust to “secure the blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our posterity.”

Landon Thompson on December 27, 2011 at 4:27 PM

…drinking spiked cocoa…
HitNRun on December 27, 2011 at 12:02 PM

MMMMM spiked cocoa
wait, what?

cptacek on December 27, 2011 at 4:33 PM

Conservatives should have dumped Kristol along time ago, I can’t think of any single individual more responsible for the Republican party losing its way.

From pushing Republicans to drop their opposition to Big Government, to backing McCain’s ridiculous progressive crusades, to backing “national greatness” ie nation building, to backing amnesty.

BradTank on December 27, 2011 at 4:33 PM

Landon Thompson on December 27, 2011 at 4:27 PM

LOL..Wow..I bet Palin is really glad you are a fan..:)

Dire Straits on December 27, 2011 at 4:36 PM

LOL..Wow..I bet Palin is really glad you are a fan supporter..:)

Dire Straits on December 27, 2011 at 4:36 PM

fify

idesign on December 27, 2011 at 4:40 PM

fify

idesign on December 27, 2011 at 4:40 PM

No fix..I had it right the first time..:)

Dire Straits on December 27, 2011 at 4:42 PM

Kristol is just pissed that no candidate is a full-on neocon, and he doesn’t have his little claws in any one of them.

Besides, why would anyone jump in to lose? Every not-Romney has flamed out horribly and Mitt already has a national organization.

BocaJuniors on December 27, 2011 at 4:47 PM

Amjean on December 27, 2011 at 1:26 PM

Could you figure out how to quote? It is really easy. Hit the “quote” button, paste what you want to quote, then hit the “/quote” button. Hit enter a few times, then type your comment.

cptacek on December 27, 2011 at 4:49 PM

BocaJuniors on December 27, 2011 at 4:47 PM

It’s quite remarkable that Mitt Romney actually has less support nationally today according to the Gallup tracking poll than the amount of support he had in Gallup’s June poll that included Palin, Pawlenty, and Cain. The three of them accounted for 31% of the vote in June while Romney had 24%. Even though the field has thinned, he had 23% in the Gallup tracking poll yesterday. Gingrich has actually quintipled his support.

idesign on December 27, 2011 at 4:51 PM

Two thirds of the Republican Party let Palin Know she was not considered to be of the caliber to run for President. She heard. She opted out when she concluded that she couldn’t fight the media, the Democrats and the Republicans too. She won’t be back.

SurferDoc on December 27, 2011 at 4:53 PM

Oh yes, people are starting to wake up and see that the field is weak, very weak.

You scream, I scream, we all scream for Sarah Palin!

Mirimichi on December 27, 2011 at 4:57 PM

What if the MSM set up an ice skating rink and invited all the candidates to do a long program. After the judging, it was evident that one of the candidates was so inept on ice skates that they just couldn’t hold a candle to Obama’s twirling and jumps, let alone his sequenced jump suit. Because the MSM told them to, Republicans decided that that candidate couldn’t be the nominee for President.

Ice skating skills are about as important as debating skills to the President.

cptacek on December 27, 2011 at 5:02 PM

Landon Thompson on December 27, 2011 at 4:27 PM

Excellent.

Mirimichi on December 27, 2011 at 5:02 PM

Two thirds of the Republican Party RINO establishment let Palin Know she was not considered to be of the caliber to run for suck up to be President.

SurferDoc on December 27, 2011 at 4:53 PM

fify

idesign on December 27, 2011 at 5:05 PM

AttaBoyLuther on December 27, 2011 at 2:01 PM

I think you might be onto something.

A RINO establishment Pub. like Bush, with the help of a weepy cave in wimpy Boehner would destroy what is left of the conservatives. The road to surfdom would continue unabated and the RINOS would do more harm than Obama could ever do because the RINOS will try and obstruct Obama but not one of their own. So, unless a conservative can serve in the WH and as speaker, then I’ll sit it out or hold my nose and vote for Obama. If I’m going to have to hold my nose, it might as well be for a real stinker.

they lie on December 27, 2011 at 5:17 PM

LOL..Wow..I bet Palin is really glad you are a fan..:)

Dire Straits on December 27, 2011 at 4:36

PM

And I am sure Perry is glad that you are his fan.

promachus on December 27, 2011 at 5:25 PM

It’s too bad Jim DeMint didn’t throw his hat into the ring. Personally, I think he has strong appeal across the Conservative spectrum, and would have been someone that both values voters, and limited government types could have gotten behind.

HarryBackside on December 27, 2011 at 5:31 PM