Open thread: Christmas loot

posted at 7:30 pm on December 26, 2011 by Allahpundit

I’m ripping this off from Ace because it’s a good idea on a slow day and I’m keen to solicit reader recommendations for my own Christmas goodie. I bought a Keurig brewer about a week ago to replace my molding Senseo and spent the last few days sampling some of the endless — endless — different coffees and cocoas they offer. Verdict: Barista Prima’s French Roast and Green Mountain’s Nantucket Blend are solid, and Green Mountain’s apple cider is quite good. Not so good are Cafe Escapes milk-chocolate and dark-chocolate cocoa, but I think that’s less a reflection on the brand than the fact that it’s impossible to make a truly tasty cup of instant cocoa. What else should I try, Keurig fans? My hunch is that their catalog is the coffee equivalent of the iTunes app store: Although the variety appears infinite, only a few dozen products are really worth a damn. All I need is their names, please.

Speaking of the app store, a tip of my own. If you’re a Twitter junkie, make sure you’ve got Trickle in addition to your Twitter client of choice. You can use it only to read tweets, not to post tweets yourself, but it’s ideal for times when you simply want to monitor your feed while you’re busy doing something else. E.g., prop the iPad up somewhere in the room while you’re watching TV and let Trickle auto-refresh your timeline every minute or so, displaying new tweets in a huge, easy-to-read font. It accounts for maybe 80 percent of my iPad usage at this point. Simple pleasures, my friends.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

As to coffee, I use a French Press: excellent cup, quick and easy, fiercely strong added to a large portion of hot milk. All it takes is a sleepy turn of the hot water to boil and a grind of the beans while heating the milk, and, presto, ready.

Lourdes on December 26, 2011 at 9:13 PM

I bookmarked this for future reference, for when our basic, ordinary, el cheapo coffeemaker goes caput. :-)

I am loving reading everyone’s comments as well. Merry Christmas again!

PatriotGal2257 on December 26, 2011 at 9:35 PM

We had the best Christmas in recent memory. Such great times with friends and family. Kids were totally spoiled and we’re knee deep in Legos and Nerf ammo. Hubby and I didn’t exchange gifts because we’re dropping major coin on a Disney World vacation with our boys next week. So excited! I am sure I will be checking Hot Air while waiting in those long lines. I just can’t quit you, even on vacation. :)

Now excuse me while I get back to my wine and Breaking Bad marathon, courtesy of Netflix streaming. I’m midway through season 2 and just can’t get over how awesome this show is. Hubby has seen all episodes and won’t answer any of my 100 million questions about what happens next.

Hope you all had a Merry Christmas!!

Nikkia2112 on December 26, 2011 at 9:39 PM

Not that anyone here values my opinion, but I received the Van Houtte “Raspberry Chocolate Truffle” K-cups, and they. are. good.

onetrickpony on December 26, 2011 at 9:39 PM

Well aside from the material stuff, I got to spend my first Christmas as a father with my four and a half month old baby boy. The best part is that I’m off till after New Year’s so I’m going to get a whole week just me and him.

stefanite on December 26, 2011 at 9:16 PM

Now that is a lovely present. Enjoy your week with your son.

gophergirl on December 26, 2011 at 9:44 PM

My favorite for New Years Day (first meal of the new year) is catfish, black-eyed peas, collard greens and cornbread WITH BUTTER. Has become a tradition in our house.

Lourdes on December 26, 2011 at 9:29 PM

Catfish, collards, and BEPs, with buttered cornbread. Oh my, as close to heaven on earth we can get. I like to spoon the peas and their juice on top of a slice of the cornbread, the only way to eat ‘em, but your mileage may vary. Mmmm Goood!

TXUS on December 26, 2011 at 9:46 PM

Bought my wife a Keurig for Mother’s Day, bought my mom one for Christmas. Have any of you Keurig users had a problem with it not drawing water properly? There are lots of blog posts about it on the interwebs, our was failing regulary to the point where my wife got ticked and bought a replacement. The trick is to use a paperclip to clean out the metal piercing tip, all three holes. Pain in the butt, but its better than the Keurig “Burp” method… which is turning the machine upside down and smacking the bottom to get air out of the hoses. Franky, if you spend $200 on a coffee machine you shouldn’t have to go through that sort of crap, right? We’ll see how the new machine works out.

TheLoudTalker on December 26, 2011 at 9:47 PM

In other news, I guess all of those annoying Lexus commercials got to me. I got so mad I went out and bought my wife a new Honda Odyssey for Christmas. That’ll show Lexus… ;-)

TheLoudTalker on December 26, 2011 at 9:48 PM

stefanite on December 26, 2011 at 9:16 PM

Priceless! Enjoy this time with your precious baby.

Nikkia2112 on December 26, 2011 at 9:50 PM

TheLoudTalker on December 26, 2011 at 9:47 PM

Never had that problem or any problem with my Keurig, but the only water I put in it is filtered spring water, nothing out of the tap. Hope your new one works out better, since the thing makes good coffee and tea.

TXUS on December 26, 2011 at 9:55 PM

Coincidentally, among my gifts was an Ekobrew reusable filter. Definitely recommend it so you can brew your current favourites and save some money at the same time.

In terms of the cups, I tend to go for bold and dark. The Green Mountain “Dark Magic” is quite nice. Likewise the Caribou Coffee “Obsidian”.

wdomburg on December 26, 2011 at 9:56 PM

I got mostly money and lots of candy. However, my grandparents paid for my Lasik surgery which I’m going to get done this Thursday. I honestly can’t wait! I’m sick of glasses and contacts. I just hope it goes well.

joekenha on December 26, 2011 at 9:57 PM

TheLoudTalker on December 26, 2011 at 9:47 PM

lulz

Agreed.

MisterElephant on December 26, 2011 at 10:10 PM

I love my Keurig machine, haven’t *knocks on wood* haven’t had any issues with it in the past year. My favorite is Emeril’s Big Easy Bold, but then I like really strong coffee. I agree that I have yet to find any decent hot chocolate.

salmonczar on December 26, 2011 at 10:10 PM

The War Planner on December 26, 2011 at 9:09 PM
Deanna on December 26, 2011 at 9:27 PM
PatriotGal2257 on December 26, 2011 at 9:29 PM

Here is something nice. I asked Mom what her favorite gift was. She said you of course, to which I replied, other then that Mom. Mom said Nancy, Nancy just turned 87, Nancy is a doll. She was Moms first Christmas gift. Mom was a depression baby, some nuts and maybe an orange and a piece of chocolate, that was normal back then. When she was five she got Nancy. Mom still has Nancy sitting right here in the living room with us. Think about that for a minute. Will any of today’s youth keep their first Christmas gift? Will they even remember what it was? It really puts things in perspective for me. Man oh man this country is really short on people like my Mom and dolls like Nancy.

Bmore on December 26, 2011 at 10:12 PM

Bmore on December 26, 2011 at 10:12 PM

Dump a few drops of Old Spice on a hankie and have your dear mother get a whiff and tell her it is a big ol’ hug from CJ in Omaha. God Bless her…

OmahaConservative on December 26, 2011 at 10:19 PM

I get lot’s of unsolicited hugs from ladies who tell me I smell like their daddies or grandpa’s so it’s all good…

OmahaConservative on December 26, 2011 at 8:30 PM

Ah, so that’s why my husband will only use Old Spice. I’ll have to let him know I’m on to his secret.

Thanks.

Flora Duh on December 26, 2011 at 8:35 PM

4711 is still niiice, too…

Lourdes on December 26, 2011 at 9:25 PM

Ogallala Bay Rum.

Last year was the big blue bottle. This year was the sampler.

Try it. You’ll never go back.

Yoop on December 26, 2011 at 10:22 PM

a knitting book,

pookysgirl on December 26, 2011 at 8:23 PM

Which one? I love to knit!

Bmore on December 26, 2011 at 10:12 PM

What a wonderful memory to share! I still have my doll from when I was four (I’m 52). Thumbelina (aka Thumee) had a head that turned when I spun a knob in her back. She has no hair because my sister cut it on Christmas Day–only hours after receiving it! Our 20 year old still has her first doll in her bedroom, one of the few things that didn’t go to the attic when she went away to school.

herm2416 on December 26, 2011 at 10:23 PM

OmahaConservative on December 26, 2011 at 10:19 PM

Done. She sends a hug right back at ya!

Bmore on December 26, 2011 at 10:25 PM

herm2416 on December 26, 2011 at 10:23 PM

My wife is laughing, she cut the hair off all her baby dolls, Thumbelina included. LOL!

Bmore on December 26, 2011 at 10:29 PM

Bmore on December 26, 2011 at 10:12 PM

My Mother, may she rest in peace, would’ve been 86 this coming year, and had the same kind of Christmas story, along with my Father, now 86 and, thank God, still with us. They both remembered their first Santa gifts, as humble as the presents were. The sad thing is, I can’t even remember mine, but I know for sure it was much better than my parents ever saw or had. And, my children, I’m sure they can’t remember what they got last Christmas, much less their early ones.

That said, I don’t see it as entirely bad news. What it says is that through these generations the last one was always way better off than the previous one. And, that’s the way it should be. That is the American story, so unlike any other nations on the face of the earth. But today that incredible story is seriously threatened and what keeps me up at night, sometimes all night long, is whether my children or theirs are going to have to experience what my parents and theirs did.

TXUS on December 26, 2011 at 10:36 PM

Bmore on December 26, 2011 at 10:25 PM

Keep enjoying her as long as the Good Lord lets her sojourn here on earth. My dear mother went to Jesus in 2004 at age eightie, and I lost her dear mother, my beloved grandma in 2005 at age 103…

OmahaConservative on December 26, 2011 at 10:36 PM

Dear Allahpundit: Welcome to the Keurig Users’ Anonymous. I guarantee that you will sell these suckers to everyone they know. I know…that’s how we got ours.

For good prices, go to coffeepeople.com. You can fetch them on Amazon.com, now that the coffee prices are up we got good deals. Also, order the Green Mountain Coffee catalog. If you’re not gonna order from them you can see what’s coming up.

I started getting a batch of favorites but like you wrote, the list is so darn long that I test them at my in-laws and then we go from there. Our kids love the Hot Cocoa because it is instant and it’s just for them. If they want the REAL DEAL, then they come to me – I tweak it in such a way nobody turns it down :)

About the Kindle – I don’t like the black and white but I should use it because of photosensitivity. I got my discontinued HP Touchpad. What sucked yesterday is my eldest niece here got the Kindle Fire-great and got some apps for my iPhone from the stuff she was playing with. The youngest two got the Pandigital, and one of them dropped it by accident and it’s crazy the whole LED didn’t work, despite that the “screen” that protects this was okay. I’ve dealt with iPhones in worse shape than that.

Try to calm down a pre-teen who got the kewlest toy evah, and broke in less than 24 hrs and there’s no way to fix it. The youngest had it on the floor and I scorned him to put that thing on the table so nobody stepped on it…*sighs*, kids…add to that cell phones. I cringe. Their mom (the ex) is batcrap crazy; we’ll see if that kiddo gets an exchange for another tablet, since Pandigital doesn’t seem to have a screen replacement for it.

Note: Get a tablet; buy a good screen protector, a jacket AND a sleeve.

ProudPalinFan on December 26, 2011 at 10:37 PM

Bmore on December 26, 2011 at 10:12 PM

Well my family certainly fits that description. We just finished my brother’s estate and there were lots and lots of toys and tons of memorabilia, from Junior G-Man pins to Marx garages to lead soldiers to stuffed teddies and paper dolls that were mine, from old road maps and travel folders from vacations to post cards from family.
There were alot of valuable items but the real treasures were the wooden toys my father had made, the crocheted dolls my mother made, the letters, the old receipts, and the photos. I had never really gone through it all when my parents passed away so it was a special time.
Some that held no special memories were auctioned off, some ended up in scrap books or scanned and then burned to disc. Others were handed down to the grandkids who are thrilled to have them. Not for their monetary value but for the stories behind them. And that is what is missing today.

Deanna on December 26, 2011 at 10:43 PM

About Twitter: It sucks that TweetDeck in its old fashioned setup with Adobe Air got sold and the current one sucks big time. Can’t even change the colors nor I got much control of it yet.

I like to see what I want in columns, and the TwitScoop. That’s not there-at least the way it was. I can download it and give it a shot, but for tweets I want to check out and I can’t write either I have “Topics On Twitter” for the HP Touchpad. Maybe there’s an app somewhere in the Android atmosphere. Looks like TweetDeck, but the throttle is slowed down big time so I can read what everybody is writing about and my Tim Tebow search for example. Hehehe.

ProudPalinFan on December 26, 2011 at 10:44 PM

Pandigital doesn’t seem to have a screen replacement for it.

Note: Get a tablet; buy a good screen protector, a jacket AND a sleeve.

ProudPalinFan on December 26, 2011 at 10:37 PM

Not sure if it’s the same one but our Big Lots discount store has them for $89. It’s the Pan Digital Novel 7 inch. I got one before Christmas for $67.

Deanna on December 26, 2011 at 10:48 PM

Open thread so:

Saints over Falcons: 31-13 ATM

Ugly on December 26, 2011 at 10:49 PM

Asked for a Parrot AR drone but Jewish Santa is no fool my friends.
Ended up getting a new winter coat (North 66 Rok) and shoes (Uggs Ascot in sand) both of which I needed.
I am grateful to the Lord for this munificent bounty and hope y’all got something cool this season as well. Merry Christmas and Happy Chanukah ladies and gents

daddytype on December 26, 2011 at 11:01 PM

Oh yeah
And Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Fus Ro DAH!!!

daddytype on December 26, 2011 at 11:02 PM

herm2416 on December 26, 2011 at 10:23 PM

Bmore on December 26, 2011 at 10:29 PM

Hahahahaha!!!!
My sister cut the hair off my other sister’s doll, too. I think because her own doll had molded plastic hair!

herm2416 on December 26, 2011 at 11:13 PM

When my ex and I were spitting up, I ran back to my house to grab my clothes and my Keurig Coffee maker. I have no regrets.

I’m a fan of the Green Mountain Hazelnut. If I’m looking for straight coffee with out the strange flavor. Donut Shop coffee is what I drink. Great with some Peppermint Mocha Kahlua!

bigrichard.small on December 26, 2011 at 11:23 PM

Speaking of coffee, if anyone can recommend a good espresso machine, I’m open to suggestions.

MisterElephant on December 26, 2011 at 8:19 PM

Ok, don’t know how much you want to spring for or how much coffee you drink. Here’s what I use, it fits my needs perfectly. It’s a nice entry level espresso machine that uses high quality components and it’s sturdy. I looked at more expensive machines but for the money this one is a good buy. Makes excellent coffee and is simple to use. I tried a few other less expensive models like the Breville but they aren’t made all that well and don’t last very long. I also roast my own coffee. My wife uses a Keurig and loves it but they tend to go belly up fairly quickly. She found a Braun that takes the K-cups and is trying that out now. I think they’re made by the same company but the Braun got better reviews as far as sturdiness. I will say the Braun makes better coffee than the Keurig.

Oldnuke on December 26, 2011 at 11:32 PM

Lourdes on December 26, 2011 at 9:13 PM

I am loving reading everyone’s comments as well. Merry Christmas again!

PatriotGal2257 on December 26, 2011 at 9:35 PM

You can even get French Press coffee makers that have plastic carafes so you can pack (and use) them easily for camping, trips, other excursions.

You can boil water on any open flame, so you’ll always be able to make coffee with a French Press (and tea if you want, from loose tea if you like) long after the electricity isn’t available.

I still have a certain amount of those instincts that appreciate the non-electric abilities to cook, eat and enjoy. :)

Lourdes on December 26, 2011 at 11:33 PM

Got a Coach purse, Ruger LCP .380, some gift cards, and a Leatherman to carry in my purse, lol. My parents came over and spent the day, which was nice. My thoughts kept turning to my grandmother who we lost last January at 93. I miss her so much.

StephC on December 26, 2011 at 11:35 PM

Ogallala Bay Rum.

Last year was the big blue bottle. This year was the sampler.

Try it. You’ll never go back.

Yoop on December 26, 2011 at 10:22 PM

Hahaha, oh,mahh,gossh….http://www.ogallalabayrum.mybigcommerce.com/genuine-ogallala-bay-rum-wiener-wash-4oz/

;)

Lourdes on December 26, 2011 at 11:39 PM

StephC on December 26, 2011 at 11:35 PM

It is always hard to lose grandma…

OmahaConservative on December 26, 2011 at 11:41 PM

Try the Cafe Mocha for the Keurig, I don’t drink it but my wife raves about the stuff.

My big gift was a family of poor brown people. I put them immediately to work cleaning out the shop and while they were busy I took everything they owned and burned it all, then kicked them out into the cold.

Boy howdy, that was fun!

Bishop on December 26, 2011 at 7:41 PM

Haven’t you ever heard of recycling? Should have either re-gifted them or sold them.

kim roy on December 26, 2011 at 11:42 PM

LOVE my John Boos! Heavier than the hand of fate, so it stays out, perched against the backsplash. Chocolate salt has to be one of the next salts you try. Great stuff : )

herm2416 on December 26, 2011 at 9:15 PM

I love to cook too! I used to use a heavy maple cutting board but then I discovered these thin bamboo composite boards. They are great, You can chop the crap out of anything and hardly leave a mark. They clean up easily and are even dishwasher safe. They aren’t hard on knife edges either. Since I usually only cook for one, sometimes two I don’t need a mongo board anymore so I bought ones that fit in my cabinet drawers. I am very particular about knives. I finally found this set and it’s one of the wisest kitchen decisions I ever made. I searched months for a perfect set of knives. This is not the most expensive set available but I’d put them up against any other brand no matter the price. These things hold an edge and they are tough. They also fit my hand to perfection. I do wish the bread knife had a little longer blade but other than that they’re perfect. The Chef’s knife is heavy enough to chop fire wood with so an onion poses no challenge.

Oldnuke on December 26, 2011 at 11:45 PM

Lourdes on December 26, 2011 at 11:33 PM

I’ve got a French press sitting on my counter top. It’s stays at the coffee station right next to my espresso maker. It’s my second favorite method for coffee prep. A quick twist on my grinder is all it takes to change the grind. I can have a cup of espresso about 2 minutes quicker than a French press though.

Oldnuke on December 26, 2011 at 11:49 PM

I still have the stuffed dog I received on my first Christmas, Benji. He still sleeps on my bed, although I have to be careful with him. Christmas is his “birthday,” and this year he turned 36.

ConArtist in Tampa on December 26, 2011 at 11:53 PM

You know until I saw this thread I didn’t realize it, but I did not get a thing for Christmas except for the small box of thin mints I bought myself. I sent all my Christmas present funds to Dog Rescues this year, it has been a very bad year for the Animal Rescues of all types. I’m very grateful to have a dry, warm place to live, food to eat, a vehicle that still runs, and friends that care about me.

Mini-14 on December 26, 2011 at 11:54 PM

Drew Brees. Whoa.

Ugly on December 26, 2011 at 11:54 PM

My 20-something sons all got together and had a picture taken of themselves with Santa, complete with coordinated Christmas sweaters and they appear to be bawling their eyes out, just like they did years ago. It’s hysterical! I absolutely love it—the best Christmas present I ever got. Still laughing.

IrishEi on December 26, 2011 at 11:56 PM

Oldnuke on December 26, 2011 at 11:49 PM

Yes, for the best cup o’ coffee imaginable, and the quickest, French Press is the way to go. No finer results, in my experience and I’ve tried a number of alternatives, but always drag out the French Press again and again by default.

Lourdes on December 27, 2011 at 12:10 AM

Oldnuke on December 26, 2011 at 11:45 PM

Thanks for the link to the Tremontina knife set — was looking for such myself, will take your recommendation! Thanks!

I also agree with you about the bamboo ware — though I haven’t tried the cutting board, I DO have several of bamboo cooking utensils (cooking spoons, spatula, fork, etc.) and just love them, also several bamboo serving trays that are SUPER (found them at Target, they have edged-sides with carrying handles on either end, very lightweight).

Love the bamboo items.

Lourdes on December 27, 2011 at 12:15 AM

Keurig brews too weak for me.

tacodawn on December 27, 2011 at 12:25 AM

Ugh. That kinda emphasizes the uselessness of an ipad, doesn’t it, if you use it 80% of the time to monitor the empty, vapid ramblings of celebs and wannabes. Really, I just don’t get twitter. I have enough clutter in my life, why would I want to read the random ramblings of a bunch of people who have nothing better to do than twitter their every thought?

I’ve never read a pithy twit (I do get exposed to them reading the blogs, when they mostly talk about a particularly loathsome twit). This fad will fade quick, is my guess. It’s just too stupid to live. Who are these people who give a rat’s patoot what everyone has to say every minute of the day? I’ve never even read ONE insightful, funny or intelligent twitter.

babygiraffe on December 27, 2011 at 12:39 AM

Coffee People Donut Shop coffee is my go-to coffee. If you’re into flavored coffees, I recommend like Timothy’s Winter Carnival (vanilla & caramel flavors).

As for gifts, my best present came in October – my beautiful baby. Even though she is too young to enjoy her first Christmas, her mommy certainly enjoyed it!

LUChemE05 on December 27, 2011 at 4:31 AM

We had a great Christmas Eve. Invited some friends over after they and their children got back from playing and singing at Nursing homes for the residents. The kids are 6 and 4 and are incredible violin players. Watched the 1938 version of “A Christmas Carol” and had a lot of food. It was the best Christmas Eve we’ve had in years.

flytier on December 27, 2011 at 7:01 AM

I had all 3 of my children home for the first time in a year. Best Christmas gift a Mom could ever get.

Beaglemom on December 27, 2011 at 7:06 AM

Really, I just don’t get twitter.

babygiraffe on December 27, 2011 at 12:39 AM

That’s obvious, if you think Twitter is used only for the “empty, vapid ramblings of celebs and wannabes” or the “random ramblings of a bunch of people who have nothing better to do than twitter their every thought”.

If you’d take the time to learn something about Twitter, instead of resorting to liberal projections, you’ll find that it is used by politicians, police and fire departments, charitable organizations, churches, authors, and news agencies around the world.

Often times I have learned about missing children, earthquakes, wildfires, floods, and tornadoes through a “twit” as you refer to them, before the information became available on the news.

It has been used to coordinate search & rescue efforts for victims of natural disasters and/or adults and children who have gone missing. It is used by colleges to issue warnings to students and teachers of impending danger on campus such as inclement weather or, a crazed gunmen. It is used by local television and radio stations to warn of roads and highways to avoid because of traffic accidents. It is used by churches and inspirational writers to offer hope and spiritual guidance to those who might not have other ways to personally receive it. It is used by retailers and service providers across the country as a means of public relations and customer service.

But since you “just don’t get twitter”, you just continue to deride it and think it serves no useful purpose in today’s society. I can only hope that someday you or a member of your family don’t have to rely on the use of Twitter by a twit in an emergency.

BTW, this fad that’s “just too stupid to live” has been around since 2006. So much for your guess that it “will fade quick”.

And if you’ve “never even read ONE insightful, funny or intelligent twitter”, it’s because you haven’t read the tweets from people like Allahpundit or Ed Morrissey, among many others.

Flora Duh on December 27, 2011 at 7:29 AM

Mini-14 on December 26, 2011 at 11:54 PM

Here’s a link to a dog rescue organization set up by a friend of mine. He and his wife are both ex-military and love animals. They started this thing out of their home in Richmond. When it got too big they bought some acreage and expanded. They rescue a lot of dogs and of course they’re no-kill. He’s an ex-Navy officer submarine type and she’s ex-Air Force enlisted.

Oldnuke on December 27, 2011 at 7:34 AM

Lourdes on December 27, 2011 at 12:15 AM

Shop around, I got mine for about half what that site lists it for! Of course that’s been well over 10 years ago so I doubt that you’ll find it for what I paid.

Oldnuke on December 27, 2011 at 7:41 AM

Rush Time Machine Live DVD…

Mark1971 on December 26, 2011 at 7:52 PM

Same here. I have three musician daughters who can appreciate everything from Sinatra to the Beatles to Rush to Panic at the Disco.

And the bride, who’s more Barry Manilow, can’t stand having any Rush video in the DVD player (with the surround sound system).

Turn it up to 11!!!

That band has the best drummer in rock: past or present.

predator on December 26, 2011 at 7:56 PM

I’m pretty sure that Neil Peart is actually a robot controlled by atomic clock. What he is able to do with a set of sticks should not be possible with a human brain.

And the best bassist, as well. Lee plays the bass better that just about any lead guitarist, all the while singing and playing the keyboards with his feet.

At 58, no less.

It makes you forget altogether that his voice is like that of a cat going through a meat grinder.

As to coffee makers, what the hell is wrong with you people?

Keurig? Seriously? Are we rolling in money? OMG!

I have a Dunkin’ Donuts caliber Bunn-O-Matic that will brew 4 gallons per hour (about the rate that I drink the stuff) and will be doing so flawlessly twenty years from now.

The machine wasn’t cheap, but it is high quality and with the savings from not going to Dunkin’ for coffee, for all intents and purposes, it’s free.

turfmann on December 27, 2011 at 7:51 AM

Oldnuke on December 26, 2011 at 11:45 PM

I bought the 10″ Shun Classic last year. It’s an excellent knife. It’s light weight and blade is wicked. I had been using the Wusthof Classic but, i found the Shun to be even better than the Wusthof. I don’t have the set. I just have the chef’s knife and the paring knife. I’m working on a good cutting board!

Zcat on December 27, 2011 at 8:08 AM

I got a Keurig Mini Plus for Christmas from my mom (I only wanted the Mini Plus — not much counter space in my house), and most of my other gifts were related to it — hubby got me a 36 count K-cup drawer and a $25 gift certificate to a company called Big Cat Coffees here where I live that specializes in Keurig products (most of their 24 packs are $13.75 each, and since I live right in town I choose the warehouse pickup option), mother in law got me a 27 K-cup carousel. Along with that, I got a $30 gift certificate to Walmart from my sister in law and two anime t-shirts (don’t judge — big anime fan, and I’m chaperoning an anime convention in April) and a pair of jeans from the stepkids and hubby’s ex-wife’s family.

As far as coffee flavors, this is what I have: Green Mountain Hot Apple Cider (which I will have to get more of — I sometimes brew it over ice for my 3 year old), Twinings English Breakfast tea (which I will have to get more of — I’m more of a tea drinker, but I like being able to have my coffee when I want it, as well), Donut House Coffee, Celestial Seasonings Half and Half Black tea/Lemonade iced tea (brew over ice tea), Cafe Escapes Dark Chocolate (which I really like), whatever is left over from the sample pack I got with my Keurig, and a mixed pack that I got from Big Cat that includes Green Mountain Gingerbread, Timothy’s Kahlua (which, if you like Kahlua, you will NOT be disappointed with — plan on buying a pack when I run out), Gloria Jean’s Mudslide (haven’t tried yet — will be next), Donut House Cinnamon Roll, and Donut House Chocolate Glazed Donut (again, haven’t tried yet).

ScoopPC11 on December 27, 2011 at 8:09 AM

Oldnuke on December 26, 2011 at 11:32 PM

Thanks, Oldnuke, your comments are helpful.

MisterElephant on December 27, 2011 at 8:33 AM

Hey Allah, my favorite K-cups are the Donut Shop blends, especially the original. They have a really rich flavor without being bitter. I also have one of those DIY cups that you can fill with coffee of your choice. I’m also a big iced tea fan, and the Green Mountain ones are pretty good tho I recommend making the smaller cup because it’s a little more intense in flavor that way with all the ice. I like the black tea and lemonade blend.

NoLeftTurn on December 27, 2011 at 8:44 AM

The wife got me a new Ka-bar. Best wife ever!

bigdicksplace on December 27, 2011 at 8:54 AM

Cash is KING! In-laws gave us cash since we are making half of what we used to make since the housing bust! Now we both work at a garden center, i get laid off in Sept. and his hrs get cut after Dec. But I am soooooooooooooo thankful we both have jobs! But I tell ya if he brings home ONE MORE Poinssetta Im gonna …… Made homemade zucchini bread for everyone with zucchini from our garden this summer

lisa fox on December 27, 2011 at 9:13 AM

I bought the 10″ Shun Classic last year.

Zcat on December 27, 2011 at 8:08 AM

Knives are a personal thing that everyone has to choose based on what their likes and dislikes are. I’ve been using my Tramontina set now for well over 10 years (I forget how long I’ve had it but before I retired). The knives are heavy, which I like, hold an edge and are quickly sharpened when necessary. The blade and handle shapes are perfect for me. They’re also very affordable, you probably paid more for that one Shun knife than I paid for my whole set. My wife has a Japanese made ceramic knife (expensive!) that she loves. I usually won’t even pick it up I hate the thing. Of course she doesn’t like my Tramontinas either :-) so it all works out I guess. It’s all personal preference. I just sort of stumbled across the Tramontina set. I had never even heard of them before. As soon as I picked up the chef’s knife I was hooked I knew it was exactly what I had been looking for, bought it on the spot and have never regretted it. They’re something that will definitely last me a lifetime.

Oldnuke on December 27, 2011 at 9:39 AM

lisa fox on December 27, 2011 at 9:13 AM

I love zucchini bread! Can I come over for some? I’ll bring freshly roasted coffee!

Oldnuke on December 27, 2011 at 9:42 AM

That band [Rush]has the best drummer in rock: past or present.

predator on December 26, 2011 at 7:56 PM

At 58, no less.

I third that motion. Actually, I find that once you get used to Geddy Lee’s voice, it’s OK.

But Rush….. it’s like the band hitched a ride on Superman’s capsule. Those three guys do things that I have never heard any band come close to. And for those who don’t know their music – it’s a fluid, high-powered, precise, virtuouso techno/jazz/hard rock that defies description, but also is playable only by them and them alone. The musical talent is blinding.

For impeccably produced driving music that pumps you up, for anyone who’s curious to listen to Rush’s best album, it’s “Moving Pictures” from 1981. Pick up the CD, and if you don’t like it, you can give it to a hard-rock kid who will love it….

cane_loader on December 27, 2011 at 9:49 AM

Oh, I never said what I got for Christmas:

A gift card to a Mediterranean restaurant from one of my two brothers, a 15″ TV from the folks that I can use as a monitor while converting old videotapes to DVDs, and a retro Patagonia vest-jacket from my sister-in-law’s parents.

AND, spending time with my nephew and two nieces. Tiring, but fun :-)

cane_loader on December 27, 2011 at 10:19 AM

Deanna on December 26, 2011 at 10:48 PM

There’s more to the story…ex sis in law won’t hand over receipt. She wants to put the blame on our end b/c she broke the tablet while in dad’s watch-not hers. ex sis in law is a total biatch so she wants him to pay for the tablet for her-so if she REALLY bought it at Best Buy (as she claims she did), THEY have a copy of THAT receipt even if she lost it, they’re good with customer service. IF she didn’t buy it THERE she’s stuck with the bill.

IF she didn’t buy them from Best Buy as she/the kids said, WHERE did she get them that she doesn’t want US to know? Hmmm? With chicks like these, you gotta be three steps ahead of ‘em. Fine to get them phones and tablets so they text and play, so when something happens-dad is stuck with it, which is not my problem. C’est la víe!

;)

If my niece gets a new tablet it will be from her Santa, not his! I am still astonished that I couldn’t get that think to wipe it to factory settings.

ProudPalinFan on December 27, 2011 at 10:57 AM

For coffee’s my MIL goes to the Coffee Giant website. There’s perks if you recommend someone to them.

ProudPalinFan on December 27, 2011 at 10:59 AM

Oldnuke on December 26, 2011 at 11:45 PM

Zcat on December 27, 2011 at 8:08 AM

Re: bamboo boards. I have those too, but sometimes they dance on the counter, and I need the heft of the Boos, and the size. For little jobs, they are perfect.

Re: knives. LOVE my Shuns! Pricey, no question. I buy one at a time–has to be on sale. Kind of like the All-Clad, it has taken me twenty years to build my collection (about 35 pieces)–has to be on sale. My kids have grown up using it. NOTHING burns in it. Boy, will they have a rude awakening when they have their own places and have to buy their cookware!

herm2416 on December 27, 2011 at 11:39 AM

cane_loader on December 27, 2011 at 9:49 AM

Right, you are. And if someone reading is scoffing because they heard something like Tom Sawyer on a classic hits station, you’re missing out. Over the radio, the magic is lost. There is so much going on – its like tasting a fine wine and having different flavors exploding in your mouth but you’ll never hear them unless its on your own “stereo” turned up to the threshold of pain.

What is it that someone said when listening to them for the first time – you mean there’s only three of them?

Virtuoso is the right word. They are peerless in their mastery of their instruments. To look at sheet music of their songs boggles the mind with all of the crazy time signatures, key changes, etc.

And the subject of their songs eschews the usual “get laid” genre. A perusal of their compilation album “Chronicles” has songs about everything from Ayn Rand to the French Revolution to dealing with new found fame and the importance of freedom.

No wonder they still sell out huge areas worldwide 40 years on from their formation.

turfmann on December 27, 2011 at 11:54 AM

Lourdes on December 26, 2011 at 11:33 PM

Lourdes on December 27, 2011 at 12:10 AM

That’s good to know about a French Press — that you can use it without electricity. Occasionally when the power has gone out here, I inevitably end up at the convenience store down the street for my coffee — not a good alternative, but it’ll do until the power comes back.

I think you’ve sold me! I found this recipe this past summer — Perfect Iced Coffee and tried it a couple of times, but eventually had to limit my drinking of it to during the day if I expected to sleep at night. :)

OK, I think it’s time for an All-Coffee Thread!

PatriotGal2257 on December 27, 2011 at 11:59 AM

oldnuke- YES I make the Best! Lots of cinnamon and raisins!!!!

lisa fox on December 27, 2011 at 12:11 PM

Could Bake 24 hrs. a day!!

lisa fox on December 27, 2011 at 12:25 PM

Oldnuke on December 27, 2011 at 7:34 AM

Thanks for your friends Dog Rescue link, they look like they do good work and are worthy of my donations. I’ll put them in my rotation of Rescue organizations to donate to, and advertise them on my social pages. Eventually it looks like I’ll be doing fostering for Boston Terriers when I get my life together to the point I can care for more than the 7 dogs I care for now, I need a fenced in yard and a steadier stream of income.

Oh on the original subject I love coffee and wish I could still afford the really nicer brews, the past couple of years I’ve had to subsist on “shudders” major brands of coffee, just one of many of life’s little extras this administration has caused me to put aside for the time being.

Mini-14 on December 27, 2011 at 12:59 PM

ProudPalinFan on December 26, 2011 at 10:37 PM

I also recommend Coffee People K-cups. Jet Fuel is my personal fave.

DrSteve on December 27, 2011 at 1:07 PM

IrishEi on December 26, 2011 at 11:56 PM

We did this for our parents in 1986. All 8 of us got dressed up in August and had a large print made for them. Now that both of them are gone, I, the oldest, am the keeper of that portrait. It resides next to the 8 pics of my wife’s brood her brother did for their mom. You should see the look on my wife’s face as a 7-8 year old! It actually explains alot now that we’ve been married for 30 years.

Happy New Year all!!

JohnnyD on December 27, 2011 at 1:46 PM

Mini-14 on December 27, 2011 at 12:59 PM

If you can spring for a roaster, some satisfactory ones can be found in the $100 range, green coffee beans of excellent quality can be found online for very reasonable prices. Warning! Once you start roasting it’ll spoil you life. You’ll never be satisfied with commercial coffee ever again.

Oldnuke on December 27, 2011 at 2:32 PM

herm2416 on December 27, 2011 at 11:39 AM

I’ve been tempted many times to buy some of the All-Clad copper core pieces but never sprung for it. The price doesn’t daunt me, just something about the SS look I wasn’t quite Ok with. My wife and I have many different types of cookware. We mostly use a few pieces of Calphalon for what we cook these days. I have a 10′ skillet and a small covered pot that works for just about everything I do. For anything requiring higher temps we use cast iron ware that we’ve had for decades. Can’t beat cast iron! I have one skillet and a trail style dutch oven that are both over a hundred years old and are better than new.

Oldnuke on December 27, 2011 at 2:55 PM

Oldnuke on December 27, 2011 at 2:32 PM

Yeah, you can use an old “stir crazy” popcorn popper to roast coffee on the cheap also, if I can ever get to a Goodwill to look for one, or I could probably use one of those robostir thingies to do the same if I can find a flat enough bottomed pan. I have a friend who roasts his own, we both talk of hitting the lottery and consuming nothing but fresh roasted Kona Beans the rest of our lives! Right now $100 would be much better spent keeping the lights on, the only “frivolous” thing I spend money on is lead. Thanks for the link to the green coffee beans, if I ever get back on my feet that’s going to be one of the first luxuries I treat myself to!

Mini-14 on December 27, 2011 at 3:21 PM

You guys have got to watch this. It’ll probably make you angry, but it shows how materialistic and self-entitled a lot of millenials are about Christmas presents:

Dagny__Taggart on December 27, 2011 at 4:18 PM

Mini-14 on December 27, 2011 at 3:21 PM

I used to make my own lead heads and various sinkers etc. for fishing. I used to get wheel weights from a couple of local tire retailers almost free! They worked great in my melting pot. They’re not pure lead though and might not work as well for bullets.

Oldnuke on December 27, 2011 at 4:31 PM

herm2416 on December 27, 2011 at 11:39 AM

Oldnuke on December 27, 2011 at 2:55 PM

My stainless still looks great. A little Barkeeper’s Friend once in a while. I have three horizontal potracks, everything is within reach. I have my gramma’s cast iron skillet from when she was a new bride almost 100 years ago : ). A few pieces of LeCreuset–one from my m-i-l from the ’60s–very cherished : )

herm2416 on December 27, 2011 at 6:21 PM

herm2416 on December 27, 2011 at 11:39 AM

I looked at John Boos cutting boards at Williams-Sonoma before Christmas. They had some really nice ones i’d love to have. I will eventually get a good one. Like you, i’ve had to buy my knifes one at a time, as with the All-Clad. I only have two pieces of All-Clad. I went in JC Pennys a while back, they had a Cook’s Tri-ply sauce pan on sale and i bought it. I love it! I found it to be just as good as the All-Clad frying pan i have. Both of my kids are out on there own their own:( I bought my daughter a Wushtop 6 inch, i was worried she would cut herself with anything larger. She’a a little challenged when it comes to cooking/kitchen.

Oldnuke on December 27, 2011 at 9:39 AM

I totally agree.

Zcat on December 27, 2011 at 7:12 PM

AP: Tully’s Kona Blend. Primo. Also, now that Starbucks has jumped ship from Tassimo to Keurig, those are good, too. For *better* hot chocolate, try the Swiss Miss K-cups, which are relatively new, and vastly superior to the crap you mentioned. If you like flavored stuff, anything from Wolfgang Puck is good – Creme Caramel, Jamaica Me Crazy (coconut flavored), and there’s also a Kahlua (from Timothy’s, I believe.)

Beo on December 28, 2011 at 9:20 AM

I’m a big fan of the “Dark Magic” K-cups.

Mark Jaquith on December 28, 2011 at 1:48 PM

Oldnuke on December 27, 2011 at 4:31 PM

I doubt if you will read this, but anyway thanks to kalifornia Wheel Weights are almost all zinc or iron now, zinc is bad juju for bullets. I usually get my lead from the local scrap yard or online sellers. I really like making my own bullets, it’s really satisfying to shoot something that you made or assembled all the parts.

Mini-14 on December 29, 2011 at 12:47 AM