New Perry ad: “Part-time Congress”

posted at 5:00 pm on December 26, 2011 by Allahpundit

Is it worth analyzing this on the merits? Say what you will about Bachmann and Ron Paul, for instance, but they’re not the reason we’re $15 trillion in debt. Even Newt, who has pushed for bank-breaking government expansions, managed to produce a balanced budget or two as Speaker. Also, does anyone really think the trouble with Congress is that they spend too much time in session? I get the argument — shatter the “professional politician” mindset by making them part-timers and you’ll see less regulation and smarter policy — but I’m not sure how it would lead to better outcomes on truly momentous questions like entitlement reform. Part-timers might be less fearful of being turned out of office for casting bold votes on Medicare and Social Security, but my hunch is that they’d spend much of their new free time fundraising and forming PACs and preparing for the next election. Which is to say, while Beltway culture surely shapes congressional minds, it takes a certain kind of mind to seek out the Beltway in the first place. Forcing them to spend more time at home won’t stop most of them from thinking about how to spend more time in Washington.

But never mind all that. The point of the ad isn’t to push a serious reform plan, it’s simply to stain Perry’s rivals for the conservative vote with their membership in the most widely loathed institution in American political life. It’s not a gamechanger, but since the word “Congress” now seems to induce a Pavlovian spitting response in most Americans, it’s only logical that he’d want to ring the bell on Bachmann, Paul, Gingrich, and Santorum. Next stop: 20 percent in Iowa?

Comments

First!

NbyNW on December 26, 2011 at 5:04 PM

I DO BELIEVE that the more time THEY have on their hands…the worse it is for us…Make them part-time!

KOOLAID2 on December 26, 2011 at 5:04 PM

I’m really not as impressed by the part-time Congress idea as I am about forcing Congress to live under the laws they enact for the rest of us. That has lots of appeal!

NbyNW on December 26, 2011 at 5:07 PM

if dear leader is going to do it…..

go perry!

cmsinaz on December 26, 2011 at 5:07 PM

They are already part timers, from what I see of how much they don’t work on the People’s business.

Well, except the President…he’s a party timer.

ProfShadow on December 26, 2011 at 5:07 PM

What works in Texas will work for America: More jobs, lower taxes, less legislation, less regulation.

publiuspen on December 26, 2011 at 5:07 PM

. Next stop: 20 percent in Iowa?

Let’s hope so..Go Rick Go..:)

Dire Straits on December 26, 2011 at 5:07 PM

Gays in the military, part time Congress: one irrelevant candidate.

AshleyTKing on December 26, 2011 at 5:07 PM

Let’s get this party started and start voting.

Hope everybody had a very Merry Christmas.

gophergirl on December 26, 2011 at 5:07 PM

I suppose going after Obama’s record isn’t a strategy, cause we all know it kicking the other candidates is like shooting fish in a barrel.

Why not run another Juan McLame campaign. The results are just the same.

Kini on December 26, 2011 at 5:08 PM

Why not run another Juan McLame campaign. The results are just the same.

Kini on December 26, 2011 at 5:08 PM

I thought that was what was going on? Maybe I was wrong… but is has the same “DUH” feel to it.

upinak on December 26, 2011 at 5:09 PM

First!

NbyNW on December 26, 2011 at 5:04 PM

seriously? Not cool…

upinak on December 26, 2011 at 5:09 PM

..an ad from one of the part-time GOP candidates.

The War Planner on December 26, 2011 at 5:12 PM

Perry isn’t my guy, but to be fair to him, he has a lot of substantive positions. Why is he spending money on this doomed gimmick at this late date?

entropent on December 26, 2011 at 5:12 PM

Except for Bishop’s third page goofery, can we stop this “first” crap?

BTW ~ I like the idea of a part-time congress; less time to do reactionary damage.

Fallon on December 26, 2011 at 5:13 PM

gophergirl on December 26, 2011 at 5:07 PM

That sounds like a plan..:)

Dire Straits on December 26, 2011 at 5:16 PM

I’m all for cutting them back to part-time, they don’t work full-time anyway. Slash their pay in half and send them home to listen to, and be held accountable by their constituents. This idea makes perfect sense to me. Go Perry!

scalleywag on December 26, 2011 at 5:16 PM

Is it worth analyzing this on the merits?

Nope, you got it right. Dog-whistle stuff.

whatcat on December 26, 2011 at 5:16 PM

upinak on December 26, 2011 at 5:09 PM

They’re running against each other, and not against Obama.

If you recall, when any of the Candidates attack Obama’s record, their poll numbers go up. They attack each other and Obama’s poll numbers go up.

Kini on December 26, 2011 at 5:17 PM

Wow. Tough crowd.

NbyNW on December 26, 2011 at 5:17 PM

Kini on December 26, 2011 at 5:17 PM

start doing what others are doing because we all know it is going to happen…. get what others desire and food.

upinak on December 26, 2011 at 5:19 PM

Why is he spending money on this doomed gimmick at this late date?
entropent on December 26, 2011 at 5:12 PM

I think the answer is in your question. On your own one yard line, losing bigtime, less than 1 minute left in the game, no time outs and the clock keeps ticking down. “Hail Mary” passes are pretty much all you got left.

whatcat on December 26, 2011 at 5:23 PM

Huge executive power grab?

freshface on December 26, 2011 at 5:24 PM

I think this is an effective ad for Perry because it’s backed up by the fact that he is an outsider – and the one with the best resume of the candidates.

NbyNW on December 26, 2011 at 5:24 PM

. Next stop: 20 percent in Iowa?

Let’s hope so..Go Rick Go..:)
Dire Straits on December 26, 2011 at 5:07 PM

He’ll need either win or place.

whatcat on December 26, 2011 at 5:25 PM

Obama’s already the engineer leading the “attack a do-nothing congress” train.

There’s very few seats left, and they are in the caboose. Why Perry chooses to buy a ticket and sit there is beyond me. This ad won’t win new votes.

Difficultas_Est_Imperium on December 26, 2011 at 5:26 PM

Not gonna happen, but I like the message.

I want to like Perry, and hope he’ll outperform recent expectations.

Unfortunately, so far he hasn’t…

cs89 on December 26, 2011 at 5:26 PM

entropent on December 26, 2011 at 5:12 PM

I agree, but I am glad that he is going after Gingrich, who would be a disaster as the nominee.

On a personal level, I feel for Rick Perry. The man obviously is way out of his league and probably would love nothing more than to just end his whole embarrassing campaign and go back to Texas. I’m sure he is a fine man who has led an honorable life, but Presidential material he obviously is NOT. And have you seen some of his supporters online? These are not, shall we say, the sharpest of characters. When you have very few supporters (many of whom seem like deranged children) and when you can’t make it through a single debate without humiliating yourself, then I think you know it’s time to pack it in.

Perry does not have my vote, but he does have my sympathy. I would hate to be in his situation. But, when it comes down to it, we need to elect the right person, and Perry is not that person.

bluegill on December 26, 2011 at 5:29 PM

He’ll need either win or place.

whatcat on December 26, 2011 at 5:25 PM

That would be very good for Perry..:)

Dire Straits on December 26, 2011 at 5:31 PM

poor guy. He wants to quit. His wife made him do this.

“no really honey, yer smart. go out and git yerself one of them campaign manager and go be president of these here united states. yer smart, Rick, really you are. Do it for Texas and Jesus. Yeeeehaaaaaaaaaaaaw!!”

Jailbreak on December 26, 2011 at 5:32 PM

The only way I see to rid our country of the cancer that is the professional political class is constitutionally mandated term limits for Senators and Congressmen coupled with lifetime bans from lobbying for the elected officials and their staff members.

I realize there would probably be some negative unintended consequences, but I would sure rather try to manage those in exchange for representatives that will go to Washington to do the things they promise to do as opposed to spending the majority of their time and effort trying not to be un-elected.

MessesWithTexas on December 26, 2011 at 5:33 PM

In just eight days this texan joke will come to an end.

Falz on December 26, 2011 at 5:34 PM

poor guy. He wants to quit. His wife made him do this.

Jailbreak on December 26, 2011 at 5:32 PM

Sounds about right to me! hehehe.

bluegill on December 26, 2011 at 5:36 PM

In just eight days this texan joke will come to an end.

Falz on December 26, 2011 at 5:34 PM

God I HOPE Ron Paul gets kicked out ASAP! I couldn’t agree with you anymore!!!

upinak on December 26, 2011 at 5:38 PM

entropent on December 26, 2011 at 5:12 PM

Maybe because it is ‘gimmicks’ like this that gets those not supporting Perry to acknowledge that he has a lot of substantive positions and a substantive record?

TheRightMan on December 26, 2011 at 5:39 PM

poor guy. He wants to quit. His wife made him do this.

Jailbreak on December 26, 2011 at 5:32 PM

I will feel bad not telling you this:

You are not going to last long here at Hot Air.

Nice meeting you. /sarc

TheRightMan on December 26, 2011 at 5:42 PM

whatcat on December 26, 2011 at 5:23 PM

Makes sense, I guess. He has some cash left, might as well throw it all up on the wall and see if anything sticks. I think Bachmann and Santorum bow out after Iowa for lack of funds, Perry will hobble along till the money runs out.

entropent on December 26, 2011 at 5:42 PM

Dude

Allendundit on December 26, 2011 at 5:46 PM

God I HOPE Ron Paul gets kicked out ASAP! I couldn’t agree with you anymore!!!

upinak on December 26, 2011 at 5:38 PM

+ 100..:)

Dire Straits on December 26, 2011 at 5:48 PM

How do you start to repeal the welfare-state if you aren’t in session passing legislation?

mockmook on December 26, 2011 at 5:49 PM

whatcat on December 26, 2011 at 5:23 PM

entropent on December 26, 2011 at 5:42 PM

Yeah, he doesn’t have much support but he has some cash to spend. I don’t think he has enough cash to buy the level of support he needs, though. I agree, Bachmann and Santorum will peel off relatively quickly, but they’ve both done a good job in at least getting themselves on the radar.

whatcat on December 26, 2011 at 5:50 PM

NbyNW
Guess the establishment doesn’t like to be shot down
Hehe/s

angrymike on December 26, 2011 at 5:52 PM

I’m in wholehearted agreement with Perry on this–heck I’d go farther. Forget halving their staffs–they get a small office in their home state to help with constituent issues, and in DC– a staff of 2, and maybe an intern or two.

I would make the position basically non-paid–you only get a living stipend while you are actually in DC on congressional business, and I’d fix the time spent there to perhaps 3 months a year–one month at a time, every four months, with extraordinary sessions called on as as needed basis for emergencies.

they have to keep their “regular” jobs at home, and get basically the same job protections that active duty military get–when they are “deployed” to DC for duty, their jobs at home are secure. And NON-PAID–meaning they have a vested interest in getting their legislating done as quickly as possible.

Pipe dream, I know. But my dream anyway.

AttilaTheHun on December 26, 2011 at 5:59 PM

Less legislation is good policy.

antisocial on December 26, 2011 at 5:59 PM

The single best way to reign in the power of washington is to give power back to the people and the states.

I think that one place to return power would be to return the power of the Judiciary back into having to find favor with the states. Constitutional Amendment that has the states meet once every so many years and give each and every federal judge a vote of confidence. Any judge that does not receive 50%+1 support from the states under it’s jurisdiction are terminated and the seat must be filled through the regular process. Judges which do not receive the 50%+1 affirmation are automatically banned from federal judicial seats for life.

I think a place to return power back to the people would be to have a vote of confidence of the entire legislative branch. At some specific interval all ballots must have the question of whether or not the legislature is doing its job properly. For congress to not be disbanded in total and every legislator to be up for re-election after this vote there must be a 50%+1 nation wide vote affirming that they are doing their job properly. Failure to meet this goal will automatically remove all of the current legislators from every ballot across the nation until after all seats of congress have been filled. They may not be voted into federal office until after that time, even with a write in vote.

astonerii on December 26, 2011 at 6:00 PM

I believe we would all be better off if our National legislature operated the same way the Tx state legislature does.

All members should have REAL (meaning non-government) jobs outside of their legislative work, and be paid for their legislative work the same way Tx pays it’s legislators.

listens2glenn on December 26, 2011 at 6:06 PM

I love the idea of a part time congress. Look, if they have so much time on their hands to come up with so many more bill and so many more laws and such stupid ideas such as the light bulb ban – that tells me they have too much time on their hands and need to start prioritizing.

Perry 2012

bzip on December 26, 2011 at 6:08 PM

I love the fact that Perry is trying to make the case of cutting Congressional pay and pensions while he’s taking his own bloated pension early to the tune of nearly six figures for the rest of his days from being a life-long politician.

Couldn’t he have at least been smart enough to wait until the campaign was over to file?

Guess not.

BradTank on December 26, 2011 at 6:10 PM

Rick Perry is the only candidate running with the record of job creation. 45% of all jobs created in the entire US in the last 2 yrs have been created in Texas under Perry’s policies of low taxes, low regulation and tort reform. http://www.willisms.com/archives/2011/11/perry_versus_ob.html

Rick Perry is the only candidate running with a military record (volunteered and served in the US Air Force obtaining the rank of captain) and he has been commander of the TX national guard for 11 years.

Rick Perry is the only candidate running that has always been pro-life and has the record of appointing strict constructionist judges.

Rick Perry is a winner. He has been re-elected as governor of TX 3 times. He has been down in the polls and counted out before.

Rick Perry has been the chief executive of the world’s 13th largest economy and the 2nd largest state for 11 yrs. Texas is thriving compared to the rest of the US. Perry has the policies and the experience to do the same for the rest of the country.

Rio2010 on December 26, 2011 at 6:20 PM

Stupid is as stupid does…

Buy Danish on December 26, 2011 at 6:26 PM

Make them pass bi-annual budgets and send them packing.

Daemonocracy on December 26, 2011 at 6:29 PM

dumb…

equanimous on December 26, 2011 at 6:34 PM

Average number of congressional staff hires is 14 & average senatorial staff hires is 34.

federal bloat

Gig Em’
Perry 2012

workingclass artist on December 26, 2011 at 6:35 PM

bluegill on December 26, 2011 at 5:29 PM
Jailbreak on December 26, 2011 at 5:32 PM

Wow…you guys are hard at it today….yer everywhere.

Ahh..ya got just a little bit of that…stuff on yer chin though…

BigWyo on December 26, 2011 at 6:38 PM

I want to know how he is going to accomplish this.

this is just red meat for the base.

gerrym51 on December 26, 2011 at 6:38 PM

How the hell is it the President’s job under the U.S. Constitution to reduce Congress’s pay and working hours and therefore influence over the future of the country?

And Congress is supposed to have the power to declare war, a much gutted principle, unfortunately. Is the President supposed to have virtual carte-blanche over half the time?

Scr-w Rick Perry. This is outrageous. America was designed with a weak executive branch for a reason.

Random on December 26, 2011 at 6:43 PM

“Richard Winger over at Ballot Access News has an EXTREMELY interesting post (link via here) on the mess that the Virginia Republican party has found itself in over… access to the ballot in Virginia. For those coming in late, background here and here: the very short version is that the VA GOP only certified Mitt Romney and Ron Paul for its primary ballot. Rick Perry and Newt Gingrich both had too many signatures tossed; Jon Huntsman, Rick Santorum, and Michele Bachmann didn’t even try. Of the seven candidates, one (Romney) had more than enough signatures (15K) to bypass the verification process entirely. All of this has caused a lot of agitation among Republicans following the primary process, of course; and not just from people who disapprove of what the VA GOP has done. There has been a good deal of defending of the outcome; and one argument heavily used in this defense has been that the campaigns all knew the rules and that previous Republican campaigns were able to get on the ballot, so clearly a competent current Republican campaign should have done so.

One small problem with that: as Winger argues, the rules were allegedly drastically changed. In November of this year….”

workingclass artist on December 26, 2011 at 6:44 PM

Perry could also promise to lasso the moon and drag it closer to the Earth to make it easier to mine. There’s about as much chance of that happening as there is of Congress agreeing to make itself a part-time institution.

Hayabusa on December 26, 2011 at 6:50 PM

Ah, the days of the early fall bring to mind a discrete memory of mine.

It goes something like this. Rick Perry enters the nomination race the same day Bachmann wins the primary. three weeks later, he is atop all the state and local polls.

and our resident genius The Right Man politely explains to all of us uneducated serfs that Perry was going to be the President.

Then Perry made one gaffe after another, one horrific debate after another. And the Right Man was right there, instructing us serfs on how this was the plan all along, that Perry would win the nomination even though Herman Cain was ahead in the polls.

Then Herman Cain crashes, and yet King Newtie rises to the top. And still, right there is the Right Man, patiently and diligently explaining how Perry was going to win.

Actually, my memory is completely wrong. Right Man was the most arrogant and condescending poster on this entire site from August until November, when cruel fate brought down his hero.

Would you like some ketchup for that crow you are eating?

AirForceCane on December 26, 2011 at 6:52 PM

Asked and answered.

One reason I favor term limits – and drastically reduced/eliminated Congressional pensions – is because then they’d have to go out into the world that they helped to screw up and live in it. A part-time Congress is probably an even better way to accomplish that.

In any event, it’s all consistent with his core belief in reducing the size and scope of the Federal government. If someone else proposed it (except I suppose Ron Paul), it would be gimmicky. In Perry’s case, it’s a serious item for discussion. And, as I recall, it was a big applause getter at the debate or forum in which he proposed it.

I prefer this ad over Romney “pinky swearing” that he’ll govern as a conservative when his entire campaign has been a snub of the base.

Y-not on December 26, 2011 at 7:07 PM

Maybe you’re right AP and they’ll somehow use their additional time off to raise more money and schmooze.

That still leaves them with less time to pass disastrous legislation. Like most democracies, WAY WAY too much legislation gets passed by politicians. Most of it bad.

CorporatePiggy on December 26, 2011 at 7:08 PM

workingclass artist on December 26, 2011 at 6:44 PM

Interesting – thanks for posting.

gophergirl on December 26, 2011 at 7:16 PM

At least Perry is talking about some “out of the box” ideas for cutting the Federal government. It’s not just the money we pay them–that may be insignificant. But most every law they pass produces more regulation and more bureaucracy–which adds to government bloat. We need new ideas, bold ideas, to head off the looming disaster that’s not too far down the road. Gingrich & Perry seem like the only ones who are capable of thinking in new ways. I give Perry credit for this, whether it can work or not.

wordmum on December 26, 2011 at 7:22 PM

Rick Perry has a good point, former legislators rarely make for being good executives. That being said.. Rick Perry sunk himself by promoting his SocialCon cred.

Dragoonchris on December 26, 2011 at 7:43 PM

I started out thinking, yeah, Perry will be in top 3 in Iowa. Then I said, no, he’ll be second right behind Paul. Now I’m getting excited and think he might even win this thing! And that would give him even more momentum. His idea of a part-time Congress wins attention and possible votes, no matter what Certain Political Pundits on BOTH sides of the aisle might say.

PERRY 2012! God willing, we’re going to get the Tea Party president we’ve prayed for all this long time.

louisianapatriette on December 26, 2011 at 7:57 PM

I beg to differ: Congress is precisely the reason we’re $15T in debt.

FerdtheMoonCat on December 26, 2011 at 8:00 PM

Rio2010 on December 26, 2011 at 6:20 PM

This reads like a freakin’ press release. How do you really feel?

Today I’ve been noticing that more and more comments sound like pre-packaged boosterism. I hope we can still have some folks here who are blogging for fun and discussion.

cane_loader on December 26, 2011 at 8:03 PM

Not gonna happen, but I like the message.

I want to like Perry, and hope he’ll outperform recent expectations.

Unfortunately, so far he hasn’t…

cs89 on December 26, 2011 at 5:26 PM

why not? Who cuts the checks for Congress and who cuts the checks for climate controlled, maintenance & housekeeping? Who does the check writer report to?

Perry can enact this promise by EO, then fight it in court if Congress pushes back. For them to push back would only serve to publicize how overpaid they are for the “work” they do.

AH_C on December 26, 2011 at 8:27 PM

bluegill on December 26, 2011 at 5:29 PM
Jailbreak on December 26, 2011 at 5:32 PM

Maybe big ideas scare little people.

Washington is the problem.

jazzuscounty on December 26, 2011 at 9:12 PM

God I HOPE Ron Paul gets kicked out ASAP! I couldn’t agree with you anymore!!!

upinak on December 26, 2011 at 5:38 PM
+ 100..:)

Dire Straits on December 26, 2011 at 5:48 PM

+101 (:>)

KOOLAID2 on December 27, 2011 at 12:05 AM

I don’t think it’s really about the logistics of a part-time Congress, but the reality that they’ve made themselves into something of an aristocracy and think of themselves as above the rest of us peons.

Being a part-time Congress would, hopefully, keep their feet grounded more in the real world the rest of us live in. It’s kind of like the difference between a full-fledged university and the local community college (having attended both). At the university, you have the ivory tower professors, removed from real life work in their fields, mostly concerned with theory and being published. On the other hand, at the community college, most professors still worked in their fields – accountants worked as accountants and engineers were engineers. They lived in the real world of their occupation instead of the publish or perish world of the state universities. As a result, students get a much better education and a good idea of how to apply their knowledge in their real world careers.

Common Sense on December 27, 2011 at 12:11 AM

Dragoonchris on December 26, 2011 at 7:43 PM

He is what he is. At least he doesn’t try to hide it.

ZGMF_Freedom on December 27, 2011 at 12:33 AM

Rick Perry is 100% correct. I’ve been saying this for decades.
The U.S. Congress is supposed to be a “citizen legislature”. It works well in Texas, now look at D.C. – a stark difference indeed.

I bet if you reviewed every Senator (although mostly lawyers, that’s part of the problem) and Representatives in Congress, you’d find that many don’t know how to do anything else. It is their “career”. The system was not designed that way.
The Supremes aren’t always in session, eh?

As was stated, albeit not emphatically enough, the less time that Congress spends in session, the better. Instead of trying to regulate via legislation every aspect of our existence, those poseurs need to spend more time at home listening to the people they are supposed to represent.
IMHO of course.

“One way to make sure crime doesn’t pay would be to let the government run it.” – Ronald Reagan

~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus on December 27, 2011 at 7:23 AM

Here’s a better idea: Cap the size of House districts at 50K citizens. That’s right, there would be 6K Congressmen. However, each of them would be more responsive to their constituents and spend less time running for office. Also, there would be so many of them, they would never have time to get anything done except take care of their enumerated powers.

Other benefits: Since the districts would be so small, the place would be rife with Libertarians and a whole bunch of other parties who would find themselves having to form coalitions to get things done. This would produce better legislation and make some third parties viable for Senate seats and even the presidency.

The problem will be cost. All those extra salaries will run almost a trillion bucks so we’re going to have to do something to reduce the expense of each one.

Odysseus on December 27, 2011 at 7:42 AM

Go Perry go! I think its a great idea, part time Congress..make them get out in the real world and be like one of the people. Also I hope they stop the corruption that is in DC. That is why I support Perry cause I believe he would try to do this which I can’t say about Mitt or Newt and I won’t even go there with Ron Paul. Rick Perry’s book Fed Up says it all.

conjn19 on December 27, 2011 at 7:44 AM

NbyNW on December 26, 2011 at 5:07 PM

I say that we require them to live for at least 7 months of the year in their Constitutionally required locations. To get elected to the Senate or the House you have to be a resident of the state you represent. Then after they are elected that requirement seems to dissolve.
Make them live with us “peons” at least long enough to maintain residency status.

Nathan_OH on December 27, 2011 at 8:33 AM

bluegill on December 26, 2011 at 5:29 PM

Over a thousand of us “deranged children” put him in second place here at Hot Air, and he is polling upward in Iowa. Might wanta save up your sympathy for the moment.

kg598301 on December 27, 2011 at 11:49 AM

How anyone could disagree with Perry’s stand on this is beyond me. Are you telling me the American people are not ready to support this, with the Congressional approval rating in the toilet as long as it has been? Nobody but the lefty Democrats or those et up with Perry Derangement Syndrome would not be all for it.

Perry 2012

kg598301 on December 27, 2011 at 12:06 PM

Nathan_OH on December 27, 2011 at 8:33 AM

Bob Dole “lived” in Russell when he was our Senator. My dad put steel siding on his garage (I helped :) Interesting tidbit…we had to exactly mark where the weight set was on the garage that he used to strengthen his arm after the war, put the siding on, and then put it back up) and never met the man. He was never ever there. In fact, it was in the newspapers when he was home because it was so rare.

cptacek on December 27, 2011 at 2:36 PM