Michael Medved: MSM issuing a premature post-mortem on marriage

posted at 8:50 pm on December 26, 2011 by Tina Korbe

Michael Medved’s spin on a recent Pew study on marriage has special resonance for me today. In case you missed the articles in The Washington Post and elsewhere in previous weeks, here’s a quick recap: Based on the Pew study, even left-leaning columnists began to profess themselves concerned about the decline of marriage and the family (primarily because they fret the marriage gap will increase the income inequality gap). But in a brief response at Townhall.com, Medved puts the kibosh on the idea that marriage is dead:

The most publicized conclusion featured the information that only a “bare majority”—some 51 percent—of Americans 18 or older are currently married, compared to 72 percent some 50 years ago. But this one figure hides the real cause of the decline: the fact that people today wait longer to tie the knot.

Most people still plan on marriage and value it -including big majorities of the only 28% who have never married. Even the age at first marriage hasn’t changed as radically as reported: the median for males in 1890 was 26, and, 120 years later, it’s 28.

Medved calls for “a more honest accounting” of the numbers among mainstream reporters and calls marriage “the desired, normative goal for most Americans.”

Incidentally, I’m proof of that (and thanks for indulging this revelation): As of today, I’m engaged!

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Congratulations, Tina!

novaculus on December 26, 2011 at 8:52 PM

congratulations Tina. Ed wouldn’t give you the day off?

fer shame./

ted c on December 26, 2011 at 8:54 PM

Good Fortunes.

astonerii on December 26, 2011 at 8:55 PM

Hulk Hogan’s wife walked way with 70% of his money…If this doesn’t tell you why marriage heading for death in America nothing will

liberal4life on December 26, 2011 at 8:56 PM

Kids, this is the same old liberal trick. {The trick: a liberal hack, either for “grant money” or out of ideological congruence creates a “study”. This “study” becomes “news” stories which present a “problem” to be solved. The liberal/progressive politicians then “solve the problem” with legislation.

The solution to this problem is so simple, “gay marriage”!!! By letting the fraction of that 2.5% of the population, be mainstreamed, err, I meant “married”, then this “problem” goes away.

It’s amazing how often they play this trick and how often otherwise intelligent people fall for it.

CrazyGene on December 26, 2011 at 8:56 PM

Congrats! What no picture?

upinak on December 26, 2011 at 8:56 PM

Gratz!

I got married at 28 and had been been with my wife for 6 years at that point. We had been engaged for 5.

jhffmn on December 26, 2011 at 8:56 PM

As of today, I’m engaged!

Aw, congrats! Psalm 126:3.

Akzed on December 26, 2011 at 8:56 PM

Allah, you lucky bastard.

Purple Fury on December 26, 2011 at 8:57 PM

Who is the lucky fellow, Tina!?

WhatNot on December 26, 2011 at 8:57 PM

liberal4life on December 26, 2011 at 8:56 PM

Pfthahaha! What!?

jawkneemusic on December 26, 2011 at 8:58 PM

Congrats, Tina!

McDuck on December 26, 2011 at 8:58 PM

Congrats, Tina! One of my son’s best friends got engaged yesterday. He wrapped a bunch of empty boxes inside other boxes and inside the last box it said “Look in your stocking,” and there was the ring.

Care to share your story?

Fallon on December 26, 2011 at 9:00 PM

One problem, the defining measure of age at marriage is the age of women, not men. And there the change is much more pronounced from 20 in the 50′s 60′s and 70′s to 26 today.

Sackett on December 26, 2011 at 9:00 PM

My parents have been married for almost 49 years (since they were 18). My husband and I are at 18+. Marriage to the right person (and that’s the key from day one) is the most life enhancing option I can think of.
And congratulations, Tina!! Need a florist? ;-)

birddog on December 26, 2011 at 9:00 PM

congrats!

ronval912 on December 26, 2011 at 9:00 PM

Pfthahaha! What!?

jawkneemusic on December 26, 2011 at 8:58 PM

liberal4life on December 26, 2011 at 9:02 PM

C o n g r a t u l a t i o n s , T i n a !

itsnotaboutme on December 26, 2011 at 9:09 PM

Tina, congrats!

As to the article, I’m in your same age group and you’re suppose to be the type that does get married: religious, Southern. That is not representative of the country as a whole I’m afraid.

IR-MN on December 26, 2011 at 9:11 PM

Best wishes Tina!

(you don’t say “Congratulations” to an engaged woman you troglodytes)

29Victor on December 26, 2011 at 9:11 PM

Congrats to the lucky fellow.

TitularHead on December 26, 2011 at 9:11 PM

WPS…

Gohawgs on December 26, 2011 at 9:11 PM

Not to worry, soon enough the lefties will demand that marriage to anything be recognized and codified in law, and then marriage stats will quickly rise.

Bishop on December 26, 2011 at 9:11 PM

29Victor on December 26, 2011 at 9:11 PM

Beat me to it.

TitularHead on December 26, 2011 at 9:12 PM

=============================================

Oops,the wife and I dated,about 10 years,then got married,
together for,er,still,33 years!

canopfor on December 26, 2011 at 9:12 PM

Marriage is

rickyricardo on December 26, 2011 at 9:12 PM

“Traditional” marriage (Man-woman marriage) has been slowly declining since the 60′s. Yet, the first state to ever legalize gay marriage in the entire country did so in 2004-more than 4 decades after marriage rates began declining and divorce rates began rising.

Blaming the legalization of gay marriage for the decline of “traditional” marriage is completely and utterly not true.

Not only that, but in Canada, where gay marriage was legalized nationwide in 2005, their national divorce rates are about 35-40%, whereas the divorce rates in the U.S. are about 50-55%.

If gay marriage destroys “traditional” marriages and destroys families, then why hasn’t Canada’s divorce rate skyrocketed since 2005? It has been almost 7 years since they legalized gay marriage in Canada, and yet, their divorce rates have continued to drop, and their quality of life has continued to rise.

theoddmanout on December 26, 2011 at 9:12 PM

Congratulations !

moc23 on December 26, 2011 at 9:13 PM

Marriage is a losing deal for men. Laws need to change before I would recommend it.

….unless the woman is the primary bread winner.

rickyricardo on December 26, 2011 at 9:13 PM

The Michael Medved Show
***********************

canopfor on December 26, 2011 at 9:14 PM

liberal4life on December 26, 2011 at 8:56 PM

But…but…butt… Did he pay his fair share?

KOOLAID2 on December 26, 2011 at 9:15 PM

Congratulations Tina and your lucky fiance.

Heck my uncle finally got engaged — at age 76. So there may be hope for reprobates like me.

rbj on December 26, 2011 at 9:16 PM

Congratulations Tina!

xplodeit on December 26, 2011 at 9:16 PM

======================================

Awesome Tina,may you have marriage bliss of many years ahead
of you:)

canopfor on December 26, 2011 at 9:17 PM

Good for you Tina! Best wishes!
Dated my Bride for 5 years, and she has been my better half for another 25.

KOOLAID2 on December 26, 2011 at 9:21 PM

Speaking of Marriage….er,Divorce!
====================================

Mel Gibson divorce: Details of settlement remain private
December 26, 2011 | 9:04 am
*****************************

Mel Gibson’s divorce from his wife of 31 years, which was approved by a judge last week, keeps most of the settlement secret.

The agreement ends the marriage between the actor/director and Robyn Denise Moore. Gibson and Moore were married before Gibson became a Hollywood star, and they had seven children together.

It’s unclear whether they had any kind of prenuptial agreement, which would play a major role in way their assets were divided in the settlement. She filed for divorce in 2009.

A Los Angeles judge approved the divorce Friday. It takes effect Jan. 9.
(More…..)
===========

canopfor on December 26, 2011 at 9:23 PM

“As of today, I’m engaged!”

OK I guess I’m done with Hotair then. LOL

Eph on December 26, 2011 at 9:24 PM

Congratulations Tina
I will be in the same boat new years eve, praying for a loooooong engagement!
hehe

angrymike on December 26, 2011 at 9:25 PM

If marriage is so unpopular, why do gay people want it so badly?

SlaveDog on December 26, 2011 at 9:25 PM

If marriage is so unpopular, why do gay people want it so badly?

SlaveDog on December 26, 2011 at 9:25 PM

Have you ever seen someone who doesn’t like tax credits?

liberal4life on December 26, 2011 at 9:28 PM

Have you ever seen someone who doesn’t like tax credits?

liberal4life on December 26, 2011 at 9:28 PM

One name comes to mind.

SlaveDog on December 26, 2011 at 9:29 PM

Marriage is a losing deal for men.
rickyricardo on December 26, 2011 at 9:13 PM

Eh, my wife keeps me from doing some really stupid things, and she reminds me when it’s time to settle down and make everyone leave.

All in all I’d say I’m part of a winning deal.

Bishop on December 26, 2011 at 9:30 PM

Oh crap,CNN just can’t let it go!!
===================================

Court documents cast doubt on Gingrich’s version of first divorce – CNN
8 Hrs.ago

=============================

canopfor on December 26, 2011 at 9:31 PM

All in all I’d say I’m part of a winning deal.

Bishop on December 26, 2011 at 9:30 PM

Bishop:Yup:)

canopfor on December 26, 2011 at 9:32 PM

Have you ever seen someone who doesn’t like tax credits?

liberal4life on December 26, 2011 at 9:28 PM

Speaking as a gay person, I can say that it’s not just about the financial side of things (though that is obviously a significant part of it). The reasons are more or less the same as why straight people get married. Love, commitment, shared responsibility, raising a family, etc.

McDuck on December 26, 2011 at 9:33 PM

My hat’s off to your fiancée. Nothing more difficult to bear up to than your “friends” torturing you about the Christmas engagement ring giving ritual. Jacking with his head about how everyone expects it and he better not screw it up is priceless. Then your man gives it to you the day after Christmas – he is the master!

ericdijon on December 26, 2011 at 9:36 PM

McDuck on December 26, 2011 at 9:33 PM

You just baited the hook.

ericdijon on December 26, 2011 at 9:38 PM

canopfor on December 26, 2011 at 9:31 PM

I thought you’d be taking Boxing Day off. Btw, what do ya’ll actually do on Boxing Day?

TxAnn56 on December 26, 2011 at 9:38 PM

Congratulations Tina. Your fiance is a lucky guy

irishinfidel on December 26, 2011 at 9:38 PM

Congratulations Tina!

I heard that on NPR some interview with a liberal prof saying that marriage is becoming unpopular. Kooky Talk!

Kini on December 26, 2011 at 9:40 PM

I’m quite cynical where marriage is concerned, but I do know that it can be a positive thing for both parties.

Best wishes, Tina.

MisterElephant on December 26, 2011 at 9:41 PM

Super news! When is The Big Day? Is that your ring in the picture? : ). Best wishes for a wonderful future together!

herm2416 on December 26, 2011 at 9:42 PM

theoddmanout on December 26, 2011 at 9:12 PM

McDuck on December 26, 2011 at 9:33 PM

Liberals have been destroying marriage for decades, and gay marriage is only a recent manifestation of it. Liberals want marriage to only be about who you love and who you have sex with. Well, the government can know nothing of the former, and should know nothing of the latter, hence marriage becomes meaningless.

CaliforniaRefugee on December 26, 2011 at 9:43 PM

Those that want to blame this situation on gay folks are way, way off base……..I am gay. Heterosexuals have done this all to themselves. Fall in love, get married, have children and remain committed to one another. As a group, straight couples have a tremendous amount of support of from our society, which gays will never ever obtain.

SC.Charlie on December 26, 2011 at 9:45 PM

Congratulations, Tina!

Sekhmet on December 26, 2011 at 9:46 PM

…As a group, straight couples have a tremendous amount of support of from our society, which gays will never ever obtain.

SC.Charlie on December 26, 2011 at 9:45 PM

But why should they obtain it? I’m actually not against it, but not as long as it continues to promote the liberal desire to make marriage meaningless.

CaliforniaRefugee on December 26, 2011 at 9:51 PM

As of today, I’m engaged!

Congratulations to you and Allahpundit. Way to go buddy!

Bill C on December 26, 2011 at 9:52 PM

You just baited the hook.

ericdijon on December 26, 2011 at 9:38 PM

Not my intention.

McDuck on December 26, 2011 at 9:53 PM

You just baited the hook.

ericdijon on December 26, 2011 at 9:38 PM

Not my intention.

McDuck on December 26, 2011 at 9:53 PM

Darn!

CaliforniaRefugee on December 26, 2011 at 9:56 PM

Congratulations to you and Allahpundit. Way to go buddy!

Bill C on December 26, 2011 at 9:52 PM

LOL

McDuck on December 26, 2011 at 9:59 PM

Thanks so much for the well-wishes! We’re very happy.

@herm2416 It’s not my ring in the picture, but he did very well! =)

@fallon It was exactly what I’ve always wanted … Quiet, personal, sincere. But as @ericdijon points out, it was a masterful bit of mind-teasing to wait until the day after Christmas. And I also loved that it was in the morning (he offered to take me out to breakfast) … Such a beautiful way to start the day!

Tina Korbe on December 26, 2011 at 10:00 PM

Congrats, Tina! Tomorrow marks our 4-year wedding anniversary, when we managed to pull off a wedding between Pooky’s BMT and tech school (and two days after Christmas). Being a military wife is an adventure like no other!

pookysgirl on December 26, 2011 at 10:01 PM

Woot! Congrats! I’ll be having my 23rd anniversary soon and it’s been great!

sallyjo on December 26, 2011 at 10:06 PM

Marriage is a losing deal for men losers.
rickyricardo on December 26, 2011 at 9:13 PM

There ya go.

Capitalist Hog on December 26, 2011 at 10:10 PM

Fun, breakfast! What a great way to start the day! Did you know it was coming? Diamond?
We were engaged in Sedona, blizzard in the morning, low 70s in the afternoon — magical, and I had NO idea! The Big Scot gave me a beautiful pink sapphire surrounded by diamonds–25 years later, I’m still crazy about him, we still make each other laugh, and I still get excited when I hear him walk in the door. How lucky am I?

herm2416 on December 26, 2011 at 10:11 PM

Congratulations to you and Allahpundit. Way to go buddy!

Bill C on December 26, 2011 at 9:52 PM

hardly funny

Capitalist Hog on December 26, 2011 at 10:13 PM

Bah humbug! Regardless of whether the story is spun to the left or to the right, I’ve basically given up on any marriage that doesn’t include a nice complicated prenuptial agreement to protect me and my money.

Mr. Prodigy on December 26, 2011 at 10:13 PM

Congrats Tina!

I have a question for women. How many of you still take your husbands name or will do in marriage? I’d love to hear personal thoughts on the issue.

Capitalist Hog on December 26, 2011 at 10:14 PM

Don’t forget the SS benefits, it’s not just the tax credits behind advocacy for gay marriage.

jhffmn on December 26, 2011 at 10:21 PM

the desired, normative goal for most Americans

Two things are happening.

1. The idea that normal people all get married is disappearing. This is precisely the reason why there is so much divorce. Too many people feel they have to be married, or they are less of a person. So, they will marry anyone. Anytime.

2. People are having less of a cavalier attitude about getting married, which is why more people are waiting until they are older.

Neither one of these is a bad thing.

Moesart on December 26, 2011 at 10:28 PM

liberal4life on December 26, 2011 at 8:56 PM

Just curious. 70% of what? Did she get 70% of 1 million dollars? Of $100,000?

Above: someone else was saying something about “unless the woman is the primary breadwinner.”

Most women I know personally are the primary breadwinners in the relationships.

I’m related to one whose live-in BF of 15+ years did not have a job for over ten years, he earned absolutely no income (and contributed nothing to the house, either, not in the form of house cleaning, he would not cook meals, sweep the floor, etc, nothing).

This kind of thing seems more common these days than the 1955 traditional marriage model where June vacuums in pearls while Ward works at the office 9 to 5 to support the family.

TigerPaw on December 26, 2011 at 10:34 PM

Those that want to blame this situation on gay folks are way, way off base… …Heterosexuals have done this all to themselves.

SC.Charlie on December 26, 2011 at 9:45 PM

Wrong. Heterosexuals are not to blame. Liberals are. Just as liberals shaft the economy with their socialist policies then blame the free market, they make marriage meaningless with their pointless reasons for getting married then blame heterosexuals.

CaliforniaRefugee on December 26, 2011 at 10:38 PM

Best wishes to you and your fiance, Tina!

Capitalist Hog on December 26, 2011 at 10:14 PM

The hubby and I have been happily married since 1984, but we’ve known each other since we were both 16. My choice to take my hubby’s last name was in one sense pragmatic — infinitely simpler when dealing with financial and legal matters — but we both come from strongly traditional Catholic families and that was a major factor as well. A couple of friends of ours who got married around the same time as us kept their maiden names; that was fine for them. I didn’t want the aggravation of having to explain for what seemed to me every five minutes that “yes, I’m married; no, that is not my husband’s last name.”

PatriotGal2257 on December 26, 2011 at 10:40 PM

Capitalist Hog on December 26, 2011 at 10:14 PM

Maybe it depends on the age of the woman?

I’m over 35, and I have never married (would like to be married, but can never meet eligible single guys my age, it is especially bad for female Christian singles – the older you get, the fewer single Christian guys there are).

At this point, I have been “Tiger Paw” for so long (over 35 years), I would not want to suddenly be known as “Mrs. Tiger Jones” or “Tiger Smith,” so I think I’d opt for keeping my name, or doing the hyphen thing, “Paw-Jones.”

Me wanting to keep my name is not some kind of feminist thing, or me hating men… I would just feel too strange about going from one name to another.

Maybe if I was a 21 year old, it would not bother me as much to change my last name.

TigerPaw on December 26, 2011 at 10:45 PM

All in all I’d say I’m part of a winning deal.

Bishop on December 26, 2011 at 9:30 PM

Everything is great until the sword of damocles falls on your head. Then you learn the system is anything but fair especially to men.

oryguncon on December 26, 2011 at 10:52 PM

Thanks everybody. I’m blushing.

Dr. Tesla on December 26, 2011 at 10:56 PM

oryguncon on December 26, 2011 at 10:52 PM

I know a 53 yr old woman with a 14 – 15 yr old son, she’s divorced.

The ex husband won’t pay child support, even though legally he is supposed to. She works and struggles to pay the bills and support the son, because the ex husband will not step up and do his part.

I’ve never been married, so I’ve never been divorced, but it looks to me like divorce is hard on every one involved, men and women (and kids, if there are kids involved).

TigerPaw on December 26, 2011 at 10:57 PM

I think that I would prefer my parents got divorced if they were/are fighting all the time. I don’t see how that’s good for litlte Johnny and little Suzy Q.

Dr. Tesla on December 26, 2011 at 11:00 PM

…it looks to me like divorce is hard on every one involved, men and women (and kids, if there are kids involved).

TigerPaw on December 26, 2011 at 10:57 PM

So true. As a guy, I cringe when I hear men complain about how “unfair” divorce is for them. The same is true for so-called “reverse discrimination.” The “advantage” that blacks get from affirmative action is destroying that race.

CaliforniaRefugee on December 26, 2011 at 11:08 PM

Congratulations, getting married in five days myself. Totally excited!

ArkyDore on December 26, 2011 at 11:13 PM

TigerPaw on December 26, 2011 at 10:57 PM

Take it from me, a paralegal who does too many custody cases: you should never generalize between the genders. For every deadbeat dad case, I can show you a deadbeat mom. For every male abuser, I can show you a female abuser.

And then I can show you where generalization is accurate: the courts, which routinely favor females over males about 4-1. Facts don’t really matter. Some of my more cynical peers say breast size doe matter but I can’t say one way or the other.

platypus on December 26, 2011 at 11:16 PM

Congratulations Tina! Don’t let the cynicism effect you at all. Marriage really is what you make of it, and if it is good-it is the most fulfilling partnership/relationship you can have in your life.

My husband and I married at 18. It was very hard to be that young and be married, but on Wednesday-we celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary.

melle1228 on December 26, 2011 at 11:22 PM

Congrats Tina! I proposed to my girlfriend just Thursday and we plan to be married this spring!

demotheses on December 26, 2011 at 11:23 PM

canopfor on December 26, 2011 at 9:31 PM

TxAnn56 on December 26, 2011 at 9:38 PM

TxAnn56:Hey Ann,hope your holidays are going smoothly,yes,we
shut down as well on the 26th,here in Canada!:)

Lol,we,Rest/Relax:)

canopfor on December 26, 2011 at 11:30 PM

Congratulations Tina! I’ve been married to the same person for 37 years in April and I can tell you its the very best way to go through life. As an added bonus… people who are married even live longer! All the best to both of you.

thatsafactjack on December 26, 2011 at 11:35 PM

Best wishes Tina.

Who’s the lucky girl?

Or is this one of those retro hetero things?

profitsbeard on December 26, 2011 at 11:36 PM

Cap Hog,
I hyphenated, mostly because I was called by my last name for many years and hated to give it up. Now, seven years later, I wish I had just taken his name without the hyphen. It’s too long, and with kids, it is more confusing when everyone doesn’t have the exact same last name. If it wasn’t such a bother, I would probably legally change it again.
What great news, Tina, very excited for you!

ConArtist in Tampa on December 26, 2011 at 11:38 PM

TigerPaw on December 26, 2011 at 10:45 PM

I had one of those maiden names that no one could pronounce and was very long. My husband had a nice very easy last name akin to Jones. I was thrilled to change mine.

melle1228 on December 26, 2011 at 11:42 PM

“Blaming the legalization of gay marriage for the decline of traditional marriage is completely and utterly not true.”

“If marriage is so unpopular, why do gay people want it so badly?”

I feel like it is about time I started responding to comments here at Hot Air. For starters, I love Hot Air because I believe it represents how a majority feels about the issues facing our country. I’ve always been about common sense and it guides my thinking. I suppose I have been a member since the last Presidential election.

I am one of those liberals who has been converted (not completely accurate, but close) because my party nominated somebody I did not endorse. I am no Obama fan. Actually, the only change I really made was to change my party affiliation from Democrat to Republican. Otherwise, I am the same person. I was always a bit of a blue dog.

Having said that, I am here to enlighten anyone who needs it on what it means to be a gay man in America. The one flaw I still see in the Republican Party is this yearning desire by some to alienate those deemed ‘less-than-ideal’. I am here to tell you no one is less than another. I would suggest we just let the Democrats continue to throw particular segments under the bus and see how many they have left in the end.

All persons want marriage. They want recognized for their worth and their accomplishment. My other half and I have been together 29 years. Our commitment is through POA with each other and no marriage license is more binding. I take offense when someone infers that their commitment or ‘marriage’ is somehow more valuable to society because it isn’t. Marriage is a religious agreement to some, and I understand that thinking, but somebody should have put that in writing a long time ago before the word was used by government as nothing more than a statistic. My ‘marriage’ has just as much validity and it needs to be recognized as such. I am not holding my breath on this one, but I believe it will one day come. My parents were married by the justice of the peace and the government granted all of its benefits strictly on the word of that single employee. I don’t recall mom or dad ever saying they procreated because of government inducement. They were Democrats, but they were not the usual bunch who were always looking to get something for free.

People are legitimized when they are pat on the back and given praise for their actions. My best wishes go to Tina! Maybe one day, we can say that for ALL people who decide to enter into monogamous relationships! I’ll gladly answer questions off board for those still confused about sexuality and how it works. Please don’t let this issue ruin a good thing Republicans have going these days. Sometimes, it is best to put mistakes behind us and I feel like this issue truly was one of Republicans’ worst moments. Marriage Protection Amendments? Seriously? Trust me. They will all eventually go away and gay marriage will one day be routine. It’s just a shame it might not happen in my lifetime.

The country has much bigger issues upon which to concern itself. Let’s work on taking care of those.
Donn1e

donn1e on December 26, 2011 at 11:42 PM

Capitalist Hog on December 26, 2011 at 10:14 PM

I took my husband’s last name, but I wish I had kept my maiden name professionally. At the time we married, we were in the same squadron. He outranked me by a year, but being female in a flying squadron made me stand out more (plus, I’m just one of those hard-chargers who can’t stand to be in the back). He very quickly became Mr. Pancho…which I would imagine is hard for a guy, especially one that was there first and had seniority. It probably would have been easier on us professionally had I kept my maiden name. Now that I’m out, it doesn’t matter, of course, and I only use my maiden name unofficially to irritate my mother-in-law who pretty much stepped straight out of the Stepford Wives (the original, not the remake).

Pancho on December 26, 2011 at 11:53 PM

Hope your finance has a prenup so you don’t rape him financially.

hanzblinx on December 26, 2011 at 11:55 PM

Congrats, Tina.

Hanzblinx, get a grip.

Karol on December 27, 2011 at 12:40 AM

Congratulations Tina. You’ll have our prayers for a successful marriage.

theCork on December 27, 2011 at 12:43 AM

Mazel Tov!

TheRabbi on December 27, 2011 at 12:56 AM

You in the moonlight
With your sleepy eyes
Could you ever love a man like me
And you were right
When I walked into your house
I knew I’d never want to leave

Sometimes I’m a strong man
Sometimes cold and scared
And sometimes I cry
But that time I saw you
Knew with you to light my nights
Somehow I’d get by

Lovers forever face to face
My city or mountains
Stay with me, stay
I need you to love me
I need you today
Give to me your leather
Take from me my lace

Dr. Tesla on December 27, 2011 at 12:56 AM

Didn’t happen unless you post picture of the wedding.

TX-96 on December 27, 2011 at 1:15 AM

Marriage is in decline because people with borderline upbringings are not socially shamed by having sex outside of marriage. Think of all the unmarried parents you know. Think about what effect on poverty and crime this has. The blacks in America are poor because of this, and our wonderful Federal government has been subsidizing it for a generation.

Smarter, healthier and well to do people marry more often, giving the impression that marriage makes people better off. Better people just tend to marry. You do not see women lining up to marry men with mental illnesses, and they can’t marry the young men that die due to violence at an early age(gangs, risky behavior like drugs and motorcycles). This is why statistics show that married men are healthier and live longer; women tend to marry men that aren’t defective.

That said, the simplest way to fix 90% of the problems America faces today is to eliminate all forms of welfare, and penalize women for having children they can’t afford. Not men, but women. Why? Because if women stop being rewarded for bad behavior, it will stop. And where women go, men follow. We only savage men for bad behavior and excuse women as victims. But the problem is that we, as Americans, have been fed the lie that we shouldn’t shame others for bad behavior.

There is a reason why our ancestors made society and marriage the way it was: it worked. The sexual revolution, feminism, social safety nets, and glorification of promiscuity has unleashed a can of 50′ works that are eating the through the concrete foundation of America that is family.

This isn’t a religious issue, it is a simple fact. Tamper with the family and the whole system breaks down. This is what the progressives have been trying to do and they are getting their wish. Riots over sneakers are just the tip of the iceberg.

spec_ops_mateo on December 27, 2011 at 1:29 AM

should be 50′ ‘worms’,not works ;)

spec_ops_mateo on December 27, 2011 at 1:31 AM

SC.Charlie on December 26, 2011 at 9:45 PM

Heterosexuals just means normal people who are not homosexual. So your statement is, “people who are not homosexual have done this to themselves.” Well, that’s pretty much the whole world.

And it’s completely wrong. Marriage in most parts of the world is not on the decline at all. Those people are also not homosexual.

The phenomenon is due to modern culture teaching that marriage is something you jump into and out of according to feeling. If you love one another, you get married. If you fall out of love, you divorce.

Dead wrong. Marriage is a commitment. The higher rate of divorce today is due to a higher rate of selfishness. Selfishness is something our modern culture encourages.

The last thing we need to do is redefine marriage to have even less meaning and commitment, and make it even less of a family building block, which would be the inevitable result of removing the family commitment by declaring that two men or two women can also be married.

Tina, sorry for the thread degenerating into the same old same-sex marriage debate. Best wishes for your marriage, and may it be a long and happy one. Which I guess is equivalent to saying, “May you both work hard at making your marriage worthwhile.”

There Goes The Neighborhood on December 27, 2011 at 1:54 AM

platypus on December 26, 2011 at 11:16 PM

I just don’t like it when people play these little games that one gender or the other has it more difficult – life is tough for everyone.

Divorce hurts all involved.

TigerPaw on December 27, 2011 at 1:55 AM