NFL Week 16 open thread

posted at 11:45 am on December 24, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

The NFL has shifted most of its schedule to today, giving all but two teams Christmas Day off.  The Steelers host the St. Louis Rams, who haven’t exactly impressed this season, but they have one advantage coming into the game.  Pittsburgh has benched Ben Roethlisberger in order to get his injured ankle some rest. Their loss last week blew a chance to put them in control of the division, but a win coupled with a Ravens loss could give them another opportunity.  Even with the capable but less mobile Charlie Batch running the offense, the Steelers should have no problem with the Rams, 27-10.

Last week I snapped my streak of perfect weeks at three, going 3-3 and putting my season record at 63-28.  Can I start another?  Let’s see:

• Vikings at Redskins — The Vikings find themselves in a curious race with the Indianapolis Colts for the first pick in next year’s draft, and they’re likely to help their cause on the road at Washington.  The ‘Skins just scored an upset over the Giants, and even if Bad Rex shows up this week, the Vikings are not going to win their last road game this season to make it only their second road win and third win overall.  Washington wins 33-23.
  • Broncos at Bills — Tim Tebow didn’t beat New England, but he’s improving his reads and his passes.  He’s going on the road, but the Bills have had a collapse this season after a good start.  The Bronco defense will keep them in the game, and you know what that means — a late Tebow miracle.  Denver wins another cardiac case, 23-17.
  • Browns at Ravens — Last week, I correctly predicted that Baltimore would find trouble in San Diego.  At home, though, no one has beaten them this season, and Cleveland doesn’t play well enough to knock off their hated rivals.  Ravens keep in control of the AFC North with an easy win, 24-10.
  • 49ers at Seahawks — Early in the season, this game looked like a real yawner, but Seattle has picked up its efforts and has made it to .500 in a weak division.  San Francisco just beat a beat-up Steeler team at home, but Seattle has won three in a row, including a drubbing of the Bears in Chicago.  I’ll pick Seattle for an upset, 23-20.
  • Bears at Packers — Green Bay just lost their first game in over a year in Kansas City, so the opportunity for a perfect season is now gone.  That means the Pack might start looking for opportunities to rest their starters, but first they need to fix what didn’t work against the Chiefs.  With the Bears playing bad football after Jay Cutler’s injury and losing four in a row, the opportunity to rest Rodgers might come in the third quarter.  Pack 44, Bears 17.
  • Falcons at Saints — This should be a better Monday night game than last week’s, and more meaningful.  New Orleans is still fighting for the division title against Atlanta, which is also still fighting for a wild-card slot if the title fails them.  The two teams match up pretty well, but the Saints are playing at home, where they have yet to lose, and Atlanta is only 4-3 on the road.  Saints 35, Falcons 24.

Update: I can’t believe I wrote “Los Angeles Rams” in this post. It’s fixed now, but I briefly enjoyed my eggnog-fueled flashback to my 20s.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Are the Steelers playing in LA?

docflash on December 24, 2011 at 11:49 AM

Go Steelers!!!

CW on December 24, 2011 at 11:51 AM

Go Bears!

melle1228 on December 24, 2011 at 11:52 AM

E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES!!!

Akzed on December 24, 2011 at 11:54 AM

Big day for the Lions. Shooting for their first playoff birth since a certain stained blue dress was in the news.

Flange on December 24, 2011 at 11:54 AM

I am still hesitant to support the Seahawks.

Maybe a small cheer.

go hawks.

portlandon on December 24, 2011 at 11:54 AM

Bears at Packers

Josh McCown will start an NFL game for the first time in four years when he lines up under center for the Chicago Bears on Sunday night at Lambeau Field against the Green Bay Packers.

Fallon on December 24, 2011 at 11:59 AM

Is Ed still forbidden by Jazz from mentioning the Jets? Now THAT is gonna be a big game, NY bragging rights mean a lot up here.

JetBoy on December 24, 2011 at 12:00 PM

My boy has GOT to win today!! :) Let’s go Tebow!

He’s converted me into a die-hard Broncos fan…only other player on the team I can name is Willis McGahee, because I know him as well. Other than that, I just cheer for Tebow :)

NextGenerationVoters on December 24, 2011 at 12:00 PM

Steelers 56 – Enemy 3

As for the pathetic Vikings they ought to suit-up their cheerleading squad instead, at least that might have the Redskins distracted enough to keep the game from being a complete blowout.

Bishop on December 24, 2011 at 12:01 PM

Texans lost their second in a row. The week before the Carolina loss, the Chronicle had stories about a possible Kubiak for Coach of the Year. Now everyone wants him fired. I’ll be watching football while in mourning.

cartooner on December 24, 2011 at 12:02 PM

Are the Steelers playing in LA?

docflash on December 24, 2011 at 11:49 AM

Epic facepalm on my part. It’s fixed now.

Ed Morrissey on December 24, 2011 at 12:04 PM

Their loss was due to being beating by a superior team, even with a completely healthy BR, the outcome would not have changed (imho). I hope Ben does rest his ankle and is a full strength for the playoffs. (by the way, if the Steelers don’t contain Steven Jackson they could end up losing this game too.)

San Francisco just beat a beat-up Steeler team at home, but Seattle has won three in a row, including a drubbing of the Bears in Chicago. I’ll pick Seattle for an upset, 23-20.

One word—DEFENSE And sooner or later the rest of the league (and their fans), will figure this out. The Niners are still working for that #2 playoff spot, so that New Orleans will come to Candlestick. They’re not going to let up to even a “resurgent” Seahawks.

Niners 34, Seahawks 17

Rovin on December 24, 2011 at 12:06 PM

cartooner on December 24, 2011 at 12:02 PM

Same here :-(

MNH on December 24, 2011 at 12:11 PM

Could be worse…talking about baseball and those Brooklyn Dodgers…

JetBoy on December 24, 2011 at 12:11 PM

Bears at Packers

Being born in Wisconsin but having lived most of my life in Illinois, I always feel an internal struggle when these rivals play. It’s akin to being Irish and English, which I am, as well. Yeesh.

Fallon on December 24, 2011 at 12:14 PM

Brooklyn Dodgers…

JetBoy on December 24, 2011 at 12:11 PM

Or, Milwaukee Braves…

Fallon on December 24, 2011 at 12:16 PM

Bears at Packers — Green Bay just lost their first game in over a year in Kansas City, so the opportunity for a perfect season is now gone. That means the Pack might start looking for opportunities to rest their starters, but first they need to fix what didn’t work against the Chiefs. With the Bears playing bad football after Jay Cutler’s injury and losing four in a row, the opportunity to rest Rodgers might come in the third quarter. Pack 44, Bears 17.

Packers still need to clinch homefield advantage right? They’ll be playing hard today.

Daemonocracy on December 24, 2011 at 12:18 PM

Ed, don’t refer to the niners as that team from Frisco again or we’ll have to send meds to our good friend Rovin… LOL

Keemo on December 24, 2011 at 12:18 PM

The Rams have an advantage? The only way they would have an advantage is if they were playing a high school team.

Also, Sam Bradford isn’t playing today.

Vince on December 24, 2011 at 12:21 PM

cartooner on December 24, 2011 at 12:02 PM

Not me, Kubiak’s done a helluva job with all the injuries in the last quarter of the season. Plus, with Johnson and Williams out for much of the season, he deserves a lot of credit for getting us this far.

TXUS on December 24, 2011 at 12:23 PM

What about the Boston Braves, I was alive (barely) when Ted Williams chased them out of town. Go Patriots! But can the defense get them to the Super Bowl?

tim c on December 24, 2011 at 12:23 PM

LMAO! The infamous rivalry and ribbing. You really are living in a double life. I grew up in Chicago with relatives in Wisconsin. Needless to say football season was fun at a family function!

melle1228 on December 24, 2011 at 12:25 PM

J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets

angrymike on December 24, 2011 at 12:30 PM

The Rams have had 2 Monday night games and now a Christmas Eve game. Think the NFL had big expectations of them?

Vince on December 24, 2011 at 12:30 PM

Go Lions!!

heshtesh on December 24, 2011 at 12:32 PM

Ever since the Eagles signed Vick, football has lost its luster for me. I bleed green but how do you root for someone like that?

I’d root for the Steelers, but they have Rapistburger. Also, the Steeler fans around me like to defend him and condemn Vick. Maybe it would be different if Vick played for the Steelers?

I like Aaron Rodgers (Brett Favre will become a faint memory in GB by the time Rodgers is done. He could be the best ever one day. And that is saying a lot in an era with Brady, Brees and Manning)

I like the story of the 49ers, winning with good old-fashioned hard-nosed defense.

I like Tebow just because of all the hate. I don’t hear that hate for Roethlisburger or Vick….

Game of the week has to be Jets and Giants. THAT should be a fun game.

Pack will still struggle without Jennings, but still beat da Bears.

goflyers on December 24, 2011 at 12:33 PM

Daemonocracy on December 24, 2011 at 12:18 PM

They play tomorrow (Christmas) night.

Fallon on December 24, 2011 at 12:38 PM

Still no love for my Niner’s, Ed?

Live and learn.

trigon on December 24, 2011 at 12:38 PM

Tim Tebow didn’t beat New England, but he’s improving his reads and his passes. He’s going on the road, but the Bills have had a collapse this season after a good start.

He is, indeed, going on the road: he has won all the road games he has started this year; both of his losses were in Denver.

brambo_42 on December 24, 2011 at 12:44 PM

Daemonocracy on December 24, 2011 at 12:18 PM

Um, The Packers beat the Bears tomorrow night.
BTW — TBSS

Update: I meant to write can’t believe I wrote “Los Angeles Vikings Rams” in this post. It’s fixed now.

FIFY

Green_Bay_Packers on December 24, 2011 at 12:50 PM

JetBoy on December 24, 2011 at 12:00 PM

Which team’s fans will be lining up to jump off the GW Bridge tonight?

My brother works 3rd shict here in NH and loves listening to the irate fans calling WFAN during the overnight after a Giants and/or Jets loss. Says it’s Great Entertainment!

Del Dolemonte on December 24, 2011 at 12:54 PM

Born and raised in Wisconsin, I bleed Green and Gold! Under coach McCarthy, my beloved Packers have always lost a “gimmie” game in December. That being said, the Packers (with home field advantage) will come back with a hard on for the Bears. Our receiver corps will redeem themselves from the embarrassment of last week. They will show no mercy on the day of our Lord Jesus Birth.
What concerns me going into the post season is !. our banged up offensive front line that protects Rodgers. 2. This has been all season long: our defense gives away way too many yards. It is great at holding the offense to 3 & 10, 3 & 15, 3 & 50, 3 & Insert number here, the opposing offense gets the first down! They don’t seem to understand that it is the actual 3rd down that matters!
I hope the loss to KC Chiefs is a wake up call the of Packers defense.

GO PACK! And to all my friends at Hot Air and Red State:
A very Blessed Merry Christmas to all. May 2012 bring us a new President! (GO Rick Perry!!)

JimmyGee on December 24, 2011 at 12:57 PM

Rovin on December 24, 2011 at 12:06 PM

I would give the Lambs a chance, simply because they upset the Saints in October. But that was in St. Louis.

Del Dolemonte on December 24, 2011 at 12:59 PM

Del
Here’s hoping it the Giants fans that are crying
Go Jets

angrymike on December 24, 2011 at 1:01 PM

Niners will win today

And i’m predicting the Falcons over the saints, 35-33

Nethicus on December 24, 2011 at 1:06 PM

goflyers on December 24, 2011 at 12:33 PM

It’s Christmas, man.
Christ came to bring forgiveness of sin.
From all accounts of witnesses I’ve seen, Vick has experienced this & is a changed man.
He paid his debt to society.

itsnotaboutme on December 24, 2011 at 1:10 PM

Ed, what’s the over-under on the St. Louis Cardinals – Baltimore Colts game?

Ahhhhh good times.

BigAlSouth on December 24, 2011 at 1:19 PM

Which team’s fans will be lining up to jump off the GW Bridge tonight?

Del Dolemonte on December 24, 2011 at 12:54 PM

Make no mistake…around here we enjoy listening to Pats fans crying tears of woe.

As fir jumping off the GW bridge, it would depend…upper level or lower? :P

JetBoy on December 24, 2011 at 1:20 PM

Meh sports follower. Fair weather Saints fan.

That said, I was greatly surprised – as were most people – that the Saints won the Superbowl a couple of years ago. I guess hell froze over then, so if they manage to win again in February, does that mean Heaven freezes over next?

My memory is foggy on it since I really don’t follow sports, but it seems that the Saints quite often make it to the playoffs… they just typically choke in the first round.

Considering their standings this year I would expect them to make it past the first round but not the second.

Logus on December 24, 2011 at 1:23 PM

I don’t understand why my hubby keeps torturing himself watching his Browns! All he does is yell and say dumb**s!!!!

lisa fox on December 24, 2011 at 1:25 PM

Epic facepalm on my part. It’s fixed now.

Ed Morrissey on December 24, 2011 at 12:04 PM

..good thing you did that, Ed, lest you be visited by that overdone tomato, the Ghost of Georgia Frontiere Past.

And to you and all here on HG, a very Merry Christmas and a profitable, prosperous, and VICTORIOUS New Year!

The War Planner on December 24, 2011 at 1:26 PM

And i’m predicting the Falcons over the saints, 35-33

Nethicus on December 24, 2011 at 1:06 PM

I wouldn’t put it past them. As I recall, the Saints and Falcons have a good rivalry and the Falcons seem to have a more consistently good team year to year over the many years.

But I don’t see the Falcons getting top spot in the standings this year for the division.

Logus on December 24, 2011 at 1:27 PM

At least you’re not old enough to remember the Cleveland Rams.

Steve Eggleston on December 24, 2011 at 1:34 PM

Who here can kick? Please report to Buffalo immediately.

Steve Eggleston on December 24, 2011 at 1:37 PM

Rams defense keeping Charlie Batch and the Steelers in check so far.
StL collapse via offensive non-competitiveness to follow later in the game.

Sacramento on December 24, 2011 at 1:41 PM

Go Chiefs! A Donkey loss and Chiefs win will make for one heck of a New Years game. Resist the Chiefs much!

ahlaphus on December 24, 2011 at 1:45 PM

Logus on December 24, 2011 at 1:23 PM

Those first round losses were all (4) during the Jim Mora (Sr.) era.
He does deserve a lot of credit for his time there though-coached them to their first winning season ever, which was also their first playoff year.

He was followed by Coach Dicka, who was a failure with 6-10 records in the 2 seasons he led the team.

Jim Haslett was the coach when they won their first playoff game in the 2000 season but they lost in the second round.

Sean Payton took them to the NFC Championship Game in 2006. And to the Super Bowl in 2009.

Del Dolemonte on December 24, 2011 at 1:48 PM

Agree with all picks except the first and last. Looking for the Skins to mail it in and Falcons to surprise the Saints on Monday night.

TouchdownBuddha on December 24, 2011 at 1:50 PM

Which means that Miami’s record still stands!

Sorry Cheese Heads, you’ve got Scott Walker so it would have been unfair of you to deny us Dolfans our undefeated season record.

Flora Duh on December 24, 2011 at 1:51 PM

When I was little we’d go to the game every year and then shopping in Union Square.

I hope the Niners win!

tacodawn on December 24, 2011 at 1:54 PM

In the spirit of St. Vincent Lombardi, HERE WE GO PACKERS! HERE WE GO!!!!!!!

By the by, the viqueens are now officially in the “suck for Luck” sweepstakes but will probably draft a punter in ’12.

JimboHoffa on December 24, 2011 at 2:02 PM

Flora Duh on December 24, 2011 at 1:51 PM

We would gladly have taken both.

JimboHoffa on December 24, 2011 at 2:04 PM

Right! That is why they need to let the Bears win. Have you seen the Illinois tax rate? My illini family needs some uplifting!

melle1228 on December 24, 2011 at 2:07 PM

Drew’s going toux break Dan’s record. That’s all youx need toux kneaux. GEAUX SAINTS!

Heaux! Heaux! Heaux!

Christien on December 24, 2011 at 2:09 PM

And GO, RAMS!

Christien on December 24, 2011 at 2:10 PM

Workhorse Steven Jackson 7th player in NFL history with 7 straight 1,000-yard rushing seasons.

It will be tough to keep him out of Canton, especially if he survives for two or three more years.

Sacramento on December 24, 2011 at 2:14 PM

After further review… The Bears still suck

Green_Bay_Packers on December 24, 2011 at 2:19 PM

Flora Duh on December 24, 2011 at 1:51 PM

We would gladly have taken both.

JimboHoffa on December 24, 2011 at 2:04 PM

Aw come on, where’s your Christmas spirit?

The way Miami’s been playing the past few seasons, all we’ve got to hang onto is our memories of days gone by.

Flora Duh on December 24, 2011 at 2:21 PM

lisa fox on December 24, 2011 at 1:25 PM

Don’t worry being a lifelong Lions fan i’ve done it numerous years myself.:)

heshtesh on December 24, 2011 at 2:29 PM

I’m a Rams fan but it’s gotten to the point that I don’t even bother watching them anymore. Can’t wait till they fire that coaching staff and front office. Rip it UP and start OVER!

fatlibertarianinokc on December 24, 2011 at 3:14 PM

fatlibertarianinokc on December 24, 2011 at 3:14 PM

They have been hurt badly by injuries . I have heard they have gone through numerous cornerbacks.

—–

The Dolphins are choking.

CW on December 24, 2011 at 3:23 PM

Mike Wallace 47 yard TD. Sweet.

CW on December 24, 2011 at 3:27 PM

Crap. down at the one after replay.

CW on December 24, 2011 at 3:28 PM

The Dolphins are choking.

CW on December 24, 2011 at 3:23 PM

No, just another Day at the Office for Tom Brady.

Nice to see Reggie Bush finally start to blossom-he just went over 100 yards again.

Earlier in today’s game he officially went over 1,000 for the season. Last week he had a career-high 203 rushing yards, and now has 4 100 yard games in a row.

Del Dolemonte on December 24, 2011 at 3:34 PM

This sucks. Friggin’ Jets are gonna ruin my holiday again.

JetBoy on December 24, 2011 at 3:40 PM

Del Dolemonte on December 24, 2011 at 3:34 PM

When you lead 17-0 and blow it…that is a choke.

CW on December 24, 2011 at 3:45 PM

Tebow cannot save the Broncos now.

CW on December 24, 2011 at 3:46 PM

Congrats to Cam Newton. 3Tds and the rookie passing record.

CW on December 24, 2011 at 3:49 PM

Oof.

Tebow throws 2 interceptions within 1 minute that are run in for touchdowns.

portlandon on December 24, 2011 at 3:50 PM

When you lead 17-0 and blow it…that is a choke.

CW on December 24, 2011 at 3:45 PM

Well, to be fair to Miami, most of the points the Pats have in this half are a result of Miami turnovers.

Brady rushed for one of the TDs BTW.

Del Dolemonte on December 24, 2011 at 3:56 PM

Ouch– Sanchez fumbles just when it looked like they were to make it a one possession game.

CW on December 24, 2011 at 4:01 PM

Brady rushed for one of the TDs BTW.

Del Dolemonte on December 24, 2011 at 3:56 PM

And Tom just rushed for another one. He now has more rushing yards in this game then Law Firm does.

Del Dolemonte on December 24, 2011 at 4:04 PM

Td jets worst officials ever

angrymike on December 24, 2011 at 4:10 PM

If you have not seen this from the Bengals game–check it out.

Also, Jets still in it.

CW on December 24, 2011 at 4:11 PM

Looks like the Lions are coming with a little attitude today!

heshtesh on December 24, 2011 at 4:11 PM

CW on December 24, 2011 at 4:01 PM

Don’t head for the lower deck of The George yet!

Del Dolemonte on December 24, 2011 at 4:11 PM

And the Dolphins came back. Now a 3 point game with less than 2 minutes to go.

Del Dolemonte on December 24, 2011 at 4:13 PM

Also, Jets still in it.

CW on December 24, 2011 at 4:11 PM

CW on December 24, 2011 at 4:13 PM

Don’t head for the lower deck of The George yet!

Del Dolemonte on December 24, 2011 at 4:11 PM

Not as much traffic on the lower deck..it’ll make my momentary suicide go quicker.

I get my gawd damned heart broken every friggin’ year.

Merry Christmas!

JetBoy on December 24, 2011 at 4:37 PM

Jason Hansen just kicked his 50th career 50+ yd FG. 10-0 Lions!

Flange on December 24, 2011 at 4:40 PM

Don’t head for the lower deck of The George yet!

Del Dolemonte on December 24, 2011 at 4:11 PM

I get my gawd damned heart broken every friggin’ year.

Merry Christmas!

JetBoy on December 24, 2011 at 4:37 PM

And Happy Festivus!

Del Dolemonte on December 24, 2011 at 4:57 PM

Lions 24-0. Playoffs are getting to be a reality for Detroit. Amd Stafford now has 36 TD passes. He has a real shot at joining the 40 TD club.

Flange on December 24, 2011 at 5:21 PM

Can someone get Rovin some smelling salts?

Del Dolemonte on December 24, 2011 at 7:07 PM

Fvck yes – 38-10??

Go Lions, ya inglorious basterds

Ugly on December 24, 2011 at 7:11 PM

Ugly on December 24, 2011 at 7:11 PM

As a Charge fan, I have to say…

… The Lions kicked their a%ses today.

Congratulations in the post season…

But…

… the Chargers fly home to San Diego, and the Lions get to stay in Detroit.

Who won again…?

Seven Percent Solution on December 24, 2011 at 7:19 PM

Sorry, Ed. Nners Rock. You lose!

JayHaw Phrenzie on December 24, 2011 at 7:41 PM

Like I said, 49ers 19, Seahawks 17 in a comeback performance.

(wipes brow)

Rovin on December 24, 2011 at 7:41 PM

You suck, Ed. Niners won!!!!

JayHaw Phrenzie on December 24, 2011 at 8:06 PM

….annnnnd the ‘Skins mailed it in. Big surprise. Can we get rid of Shanahan and his son now?

Stray Cat on December 24, 2011 at 8:44 PM

And the Cowboys went down in flames again, even with the blessing of having Romo off the field.

CorporatePiggy on December 24, 2011 at 11:46 PM

Go Niners… tenacious stuff when it ‘doesn’t’ matter.

lexhamfox on December 25, 2011 at 2:10 AM

What an amazing year for Cam Newton… This kid is really good!

Keemo on December 25, 2011 at 9:30 AM

Denver went on the road and forgot to take the D with them. Are they angling for a higher draft pick?

Kissmygrits on December 25, 2011 at 9:41 AM

How about the Bengals? Ever seen a TD like Jerome Simpson’s??? Andy Dalton is right there with Cam Newton. He has a lot more wins! Now, all the MEN have to do is BEAT Baltimore! (Ya, I know, more times than not the Bungles snatch defeat from the jaws of victory). Who Dey!!

MJScanlonOH on December 25, 2011 at 12:19 PM

Keemo on December 25, 2011 at 9:30 AM

Amazing year for rookie head coach Ron Rivera and his young coaching staff too. Cam is making football fun to watch again in Carolina. MJS, Dalton is having a good season, but I we wouldn’t trade Newton for 3 Daltons.

mike_NC9 on December 25, 2011 at 12:52 PM

Only 2 hours till kickoff.

Green_Bay_Packers on December 25, 2011 at 6:25 PM

Ravens and Niners squeaked by

The Cleveland Browns are stupid. And I pity the great fans in that city. Totally confused QB. Let the clock run out at the end of the first half while sitting about 100 inches from the goal. Offsides to give the other side a pass to run the clock out at the end of the game. The Ravens defense was on the floor.

Yea, but the Niners killed the Steelers and the fact that the Steelers’ QB was walking like I do after 4 or 5 hours in Altitude Billiards and Sports in Vail. The difference is that I just watch sports and am not trying to throw a ball.

IlikedAUH2O on December 25, 2011 at 8:02 PM

I’m still waitning for santa to bring me a Win…

Green_Bay_Packers on December 25, 2011 at 8:23 PM