California atheists block out nativity scenes

posted at 10:30 am on December 24, 2011 by Jazz Shaw

I don’t like dredging up that whole “war on Christmas” thing, but (with apologies in advance to Allahpundit) this story kind of gets under my skin. In Santa Monica, California, there is apparently one particular stretch of road alongside a park which has traditionally been set aside for Christmas displays. The nativity scenes on display have been popular with residents and tourists. But in order to be fair to everyone, the city used a lottery to allocate space to groups wishing to put up Creche displays and related scenes. Now, a group of atheists are accused of swamping the lottery and taking over the lots.

This year, however, atheists have taken over most of the two-block stretch, nearly shutting out and angering a group of churches who contend the atheists have organized against the Christians and gamed a city lottery process allocating the holiday exhibit space.

In response, a leader of the atheist group says he’s just looking for evenhanded treatment to present his beliefs in a public space — and goes so far as to say that the city shouldn’t even be allowing any religious or even atheist expression in the park.

That’s why he and his group have put nothing on half of the park exhibit spaces that they’ve secured from the city this year.

The atheists are declaring the politically left-leaning seaside town of Santa Monica as their latest battleground in a national movement to assert their rights.

“I’m part of a growing movement in America of atheists standing up for their rights. It’s a very exciting time for us that we’re having more of an impact in our society,” said Damon Vix, the organizer of the atheist group.

Yes, you’re having a big “impact” on the local society, alright. You’re getting everyone angry at you and ruining their holiday season to no apparent purpose. In the interview, Mr. Vix makes it clear that he has no interest in seeing other people’s views being represented – he just doesn’t want the Christians to use it.

In the interest of fairness, I could see if competing groups wanted to use some of the lots for an alternative display. If somebody wants to put up a big menorah on one of the lots, I don’t think anyone is going to get too worked up over it. And for these atheists, if they had something in mind as an alternative message… even a Festivus pole and a wrestling mat for some feats of strength, I’d probably have to give them some support. But to lock off the land to leave it empty rather than allow a nativity scene? That’s not some fight for equality or freedom. That’s just being a Grinch.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 7

While 81% identify themselves as Christians, 93% celebrate Christmas

..And 15.1% identify as atheists/agnostic. The math works out that at least 8 percent of those atheists are celebrating Christmas. I realize that the modern Christmas tradition is patterned on the old Roman Saturnian Festival, at least with date & gift giving, but Christmas remains the celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ. If you don’t believe in Christ, you shouldn’t be celebrating his birthday!
Merry Christmas everyone

Boats48 on December 24, 2011 at 11:34 AM

Making friends and influencing people – Jacobin style.

forest on December 24, 2011 at 10:42 AM

Not quite. The Jacobins would’ve built a statue of the Goddess of Reason rather than leaving the lots empty.

I guess that’s their plan for next year.

Mr. Prodigy on December 24, 2011 at 11:36 AM

If you don’t believe in Christ, you shouldn’t be celebrating his birthday!
Merry Christmas everyone

Boats48 on December 24, 2011 at 11:34 AM

But are you really celebrating his birthday if you believe it has no significance? I’m not asking that just for the sake of stirring the pot, although I’m sure that I am.

gryphon202 on December 24, 2011 at 11:37 AM

I’m not surprised.

I had someone tell me, a few days ago: “I don’t think we should lie to kids about Santa Claus.”

Fairy Tales not allowed.. or, sumpthin’.

franksalterego on December 24, 2011 at 11:38 AM

Flange, I’d rather my tax money being spent on courthouse nativity scenes than at abortion clinics.

ohiochili on December 24, 2011 at 11:38 AM

Why don’t the atheist and lefties put up a display of their one true God–a giant picture of Barack Obama.

bailey24 on December 24, 2011 at 11:29 AM

That’s just dumb. I’m sure some atheists like him as president, but not all of us, and it’s kind of dumb to attribute him as their god since atheists don’t believe in gods.

The gods that we’ve made are exactly the gods you’d expect to be made by a species that’s about half a chromosome away from being a chimpanzee.

SauerKraut537 on December 24, 2011 at 11:42 AM

Fairy Tales not allowed.. or, sumpthin’.

franksalterego on December 24, 2011 at 11:38 AM

I was never told that Santa Claus wasn’t real. I figured it out on my own, and my suspicions were confirmed at the age of eight when I saw my uncle sneak back in from Grandma’s unattached garage. Since then, I’ve been firmly in the “Yes Virginia, there is a Santa Claus” camp.

gryphon202 on December 24, 2011 at 11:43 AM

Way to go, atheists! Now take your fight to Islam!

UndeadBeav on December 24, 2011 at 11:44 AM

Santa Monica… sigh… Harry Shearer’s “Home of the Homeless.” The atheists should turn the space over to them. That at least would be charitable. Though possibly too in-the-spirit-of-the-season for the Vix group.

There’s more sanity down the beach in Venice.

Merry Christmas, all.

de rigueur on December 24, 2011 at 11:45 AM

He Lives! Amen, and Merry Christmas

Rovin on December 24, 2011 at 11:46 AM

As Mr. Spock would say, “The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.”

Anyway, the Supreme Court has, over and over, deemed it OK to place Nativity scenes on public property as long as there are some secular stuff, too…like a Santa, a Christmas tree, an elf. In fact, these rulings are referred to as “the plastic reindeer” rule.

Come on, you atheists…like Jazz Shaw said: Stop being Grinchy!

StarLady on December 24, 2011 at 11:47 AM

ohiochili on December 25, 2011 at 11:38 AM

If I was forced to choose between those two options I’d rather spend the money on nativity scenes also, but there’s nothing mandating that we spend money on one or the other.

Flange on December 24, 2011 at 11:47 AM

Agree 100%. I think of the vile things the Left says, often with glee, about those with whom they disagree. Primarily they want to find someone to hate, and secondarily, find someone who it’s politically acceptable to hate. But that desire (or personality type) to hate comes first.

Paul-Cincy on December 24, 2011 at 10:52 AM

SPDD (same people, different decade).

I also see parallels between those who used to use religion to run people’s lives and those who now use the state to control them.

Same personality type, same desire to control, just using a different means to the same end. Religion was never the problem, people were.

In fact, I wonder how many of these militant atheists are exactly those same people. I wonder how easy it would be to get them to rant about “religious people” telling others what to do 100 years ago and then turn around and rant about how the government needs to tell people how to eat, raise their kids, run their business, treat other people, etc.

29Victor on December 24, 2011 at 11:48 AM

Atheists to forgo their company-paid Christmas holiday by showing up at the office to work while everyone else is home.

Why, because they wouldn’t want to be hypocrites.

Bishop on December 24, 2011 at 11:48 AM

They are acting like jealous little kids. “I don’t like the attention the other kids are getting.” Anyhow, have a Merry Christmas fellow Hot Gasians.

Imrahil on December 24, 2011 at 11:49 AM

In response, a leader of the atheist group says he’s just looking for evenhanded treatment to present his beliefs in a public space.

First, how can a “non-believer” have beliefs?

Secondly, why must these people interfere with Christmas displays if they don’t believe? After Christmas they could use the property for any displays they want.

It’s very obvious their beliefs are nothing more than anti-Christian bigotry. I certainly don’t see them harrassing Jews or Muslisms.

darwin on December 24, 2011 at 11:50 AM

What’s with these “New Atheists” anyhow? Whatever happened to the agnostics? At least the agnostics had a few manners and weren’t obnoxious, grandstanding bullies like these New Atheists.

To everyone (except the New Atheists): Merry Christmas!

To the New Atheists: Stick a sock (full of coal) in it.

Scriptor on December 24, 2011 at 11:50 AM

SauerKraut537 on December 24, 2011 at 11:42 AM

Funny you should mention that. We are half a chromosome away from being a chimpanze — and about two-and-a-half chromosomes away from being dogs. We share 99.9 percent of our genome with any great ape on the planet , which means that 999/1000 of our genome is the same…

But if you pluck another human off the face of the planet at random, you will share fully 99.99 percent of your genome with him or her, regardless of race. That’s 9999/10000. And in that 1/10000 that you do not share, there is enough genetic diversity to ensure that there has never been a genetically identical individual in history. There will never be another George Washington. There has never been another Socrates. There has never been, nor will there ever be again, another you.

“Reason” that.

gryphon202 on December 24, 2011 at 11:50 AM

SauerKraut537 on December 24, 2011 at 11:42 AM

Well Merry Christmas to you too!

VegasRick on December 24, 2011 at 11:52 AM

I thought we already gave ‘em April Fool’s Day and they’re STILL complainin’. Some folks are never happy.

Merry Christmas all!

figment on December 24, 2011 at 11:52 AM

First, how can a “non-believer” have beliefs?

Oh they have beliefs. And their beliefs are no more subject to “proof” than the existence of God is. It’s just the other side of the coin.

But again, it cuts to the matter of what they want. It’s not that they want displays for their beliefs. They could pick 11 months out of the year — but it has to be for the 30 days we have creche displays.

darwin on December 24, 2011 at 11:50 AM

Indeed.

gryphon202 on December 24, 2011 at 11:53 AM

What’s with these “New Atheists” anyhow?

Scriptor on December 24, 2011 at 11:50 AM

They’re starting to look more like an offshoot of Islam … forcing their beliefs on everyone while crushing other beliefs.

darwin on December 24, 2011 at 11:56 AM

Scriptor on December 24, 2011 at 11:50 AM

I’m agnostic, or casual-Christian if that term is acceptable (I’m not really sure where I fit in the spectrum), but my wife and family and all practicing Bible-heads. We all enjoy Christmas and I can honestly say that even my dark heart feels a stirring of the season and the religious connection when we go to church together to celebrate.

I say Merry Christmas to everyone and spurn all the PC bullshiite which attempts to rename anything Christmas related to “Holiday”.

So we aren’t all bad.

Bishop on December 24, 2011 at 11:56 AM

Well Merry Christmas to you too!
VegasRick on December 24, 2011 at 11:52 AM

Are you eating a banana and picking nits off your relatives?

Bishop on December 24, 2011 at 11:58 AM

This is going to give Bill O’Reilly a stroke.
Bravo!
I don’t like atheists, but they the right to not have to celebrate other’s holiday/capitalist frenzy.

BedBug on December 24, 2011 at 12:03 PM

Are you eating a banana and picking nits off your relatives?

Bishop on December 24, 2011 at 11:58 AM

“Nit picking” sounds like the domain of atheist douchebags, if you ask me. ;-)

gryphon202 on December 24, 2011 at 12:03 PM

There is no logic to the SCOTUS decision to prohibit prayer (and now any religious expression) in school (and now in public).

The first amendment states: “Congress shall make no law respecting the establishment of religion, nor prohibiting the free exercise thereof.”

This is a limitation on Congress, not the people.

The constitution prohibits congress from touching religion and further prohibits anyone other than congress from creating law.

If congress were to pass a law prohibiting prayer in school it would certainly violate the first amendment,and it is their job to create law! How did the SCOTUS

The Rock on December 24, 2011 at 12:03 PM

Continued…
How did the SCOTUS do it when congress cannot?

Further; there are many different belief systems. Some have a deity and others do not. Why only ban belief systems that involve a deity?

We have freedom of speech, but we have banned speech to God.

How ridiculous…

The Rock on December 24, 2011 at 12:05 PM

BedBug on December 24, 2011 at 12:03 PM

Agreed. I’m damn sick and tired of the federal government forcing me to erect a Christmas tree, buy gifts for my family, and put lights on the house.

Attica! ATTICA!

Bishop on December 24, 2011 at 12:07 PM

Are you eating a banana and picking nits off your relatives?

Bishop on December 24, 2011 at 11:58 AM

Some of my relatives are gorillas.

VegasRick on December 24, 2011 at 12:08 PM

I really don’t understand the atheist argument that a religious display somehow tramples their “rights”. Are we to believe these people are so weak-minded that the mere act of seeing a religious display with convert them to that particular religion?

This has gone beyond stupid.

ButterflyDragon on December 24, 2011 at 12:09 PM

BedBug on December 24, 2011 at 12:03 PM

By not allowing those who believe to celebrate? You should look to islam as your faith.

VegasRick on December 24, 2011 at 12:10 PM

Let the heathen rage.

Merry CHRISTmas, y’all!

kingsjester on December 24, 2011 at 10:59 AM

Thanks KJ. Excellent post.

Vince on December 24, 2011 at 12:10 PM

BedBug on December 24, 2011 at 12:03 PM

Huh? Seeing a nativity scene on the side of the road is equivalent to them being forced to celebrate Christmas?

Surely you’re joking.

ButterflyDragon on December 24, 2011 at 12:10 PM

1) Destroy the family

2) Replace G-d with the state.

3) ????

4) Profit!!!!!

Rixon on December 24, 2011 at 12:12 PM

Surely you’re joking.

ButterflyDragon on December 24, 2011 at 12:10 PM

I don’t think he is. And don’t call him shirley.

VegasRick on December 24, 2011 at 12:15 PM

Some of my relatives are gorillas.
VegasRick on December 24, 2011 at 12:08 PM

You’re lucky, mine are composed of herds of baboons and howler monkeys…at least that’s what the family gatherings resemble.

I’ve got 75 people coming over today and can predict with reliability that at least one fistfight will occur, a minimum of 5 kids will puke up their snacks in my den, and one ATV will be damaged by someone deciding to do something “bright” after drinking too much.

Bishop on December 24, 2011 at 12:15 PM

Bishop on December 24, 2011 at 12:15 PM

Sounds like a good time to me. But then again, it’s not my house. :P

gryphon202 on December 24, 2011 at 12:17 PM

BedBug on December 24, 2011 at 12:03 PM

VegasRick on December 24, 2011 at 12:10 PM

Just like a republican. Slam the muslims.
No, you don’t have the right to erect a nativity scene and force every other religion to support your beliefs.

BedBug on December 24, 2011 at 12:17 PM

BedBug on December 24, 2011 at 12:03 PM

Surely you’re joking.

ButterflyDragon on December 24, 2011 at 12:10 PMNo no, you missed the Right Not To Be Offended.

It’s in the Constitution right above the Right To An Abortion and just underneath the Separation of Church And State Clause.

fossten on December 24, 2011 at 12:18 PM

Bishop on December 24, 2011 at 12:15 PM

Yep. And ALWAYS prefaced by “watch THIS!”

VegasRick on December 24, 2011 at 12:18 PM

Bishop on December 24, 2011 at 12:15 PM

Classy. How about those five dogs under your porch? If the porch falls, can you finally call yourself a redneck, like Jeff Foxworthy says?
You can put it on your resume.

BedBug on December 24, 2011 at 12:19 PM

Just like a republican. Slam the muslims.

BedBug on December 24, 2011 at 12:17 PM

You have yet to establish that ‘erecting a nativity scene’ equals forcing people to support your beliefs.

According to your logic, abortion clinics should be abolished because when I drive by one I’m being forced to support the beliefs of the baby murderers.

fossten on December 24, 2011 at 12:19 PM

Separation of Church And State Clause.

fossten on December 24, 2011 at 12:18 PM

Careful now, you almost posted Sant@ Clause, and as you know that is forbidden in article 12, section 3, subset 18………..

VegasRick on December 24, 2011 at 12:20 PM

If you don’t believe in Christ, you shouldn’t be celebrating his birthday!

Merry Christmas everyone.

Boats48 on December 24, 2011 at 11:34 AM

Now, I’m confused. Why wish me a Merry Christmas if you don’t mean it?

~ Agnostic, perfectly happy to Ooh! and Ahh! at Christmas lights and give and receive presents. And, I’ll fight for your right of freedom of religion, so just give me a little wiggle room here.

Fallon on December 24, 2011 at 12:22 PM

Bishop on December 24, 2011 at 12:15 PM

I gotta work 1-?. We close at 8. I could be off @ 8:30, could be 9:00 or 10:00.
*rolls eyes*

annoyinglittletwerp on December 24, 2011 at 12:22 PM

Just like a republican. Slam the muslims.

BedBug on December 24, 2011 at 12:17 PM

fossten on December 24, 2011 at 12:19 PM

Your logic is flawed. The Supreme Court confirmed that you have to drive by that abortion clinic and stew. It’s the law.

BedBug on December 24, 2011 at 12:23 PM

BedBug on December 24, 2011 at 12:23 PM

Right. Because whatever the Supreme Court says, it’s the law. Even if it directly contradicts the constitution. Gotcha.

/ugh

gryphon202 on December 24, 2011 at 12:25 PM

I’m new here so I’m not sure if I can say this:

ATTENTION WHORE!

KrebsCyclist on December 24, 2011 at 12:25 PM

I know that irony is lost on leftists….but:

Isn’t it actually appropriate that the atheist lots are EMPTY???

landlines on December 24, 2011 at 12:26 PM

I’m new here so I’m not sure if I can say this:

ATTENTION WHORE!

KrebsCyclist on December 24, 2011 at 12:25 PM

Good Morning-and Welcome.

annoyinglittletwerp on December 24, 2011 at 12:26 PM

I’ll fight for your right of to freedom of religion…

Grrr… Too much Bailey’s in the coffee… j/k

Fallon on December 24, 2011 at 12:26 PM

BedBug on December 24, 2011 at 12:23 PM

/ugh

gryphon202 on December 24, 2011 at 12:25 PM

Take it up with the Justices.

BedBug on December 24, 2011 at 12:27 PM

Take it up with the Justices.

BedBug on December 24, 2011 at 12:27 PM

Uh, no thanks. I’ll adhere to the constitution first.

gryphon202 on December 24, 2011 at 12:28 PM

Take it up with the Justices.

BedBug on December 24, 2011 at 12:27 PM
Uh, no thanks. I’ll adhere to the constitution first.

gryphon202 on December 24, 2011 at 12:28 PM

The constitution allowed for three parts of government and the Supreme Court is one of them. So, their decision, whether you agree with it or not, adheres to the constitution.

BedBug on December 24, 2011 at 12:31 PM

Poll after poll reputedly shows that the majority of people in this country self-identify as christian, but state after state, county after county, and city after city enact laws and ordinances that are aimed at marginalizing tradition christian displays.

Are there mass recalls? Are officials held accountable by the residents that they are supposedly lording over? (pun intended) The answer is no, and that leads me to believe that the modern conception of what a christian is has radically changed and has very little relation to a devout belief in the christian theology and tradition.

I’m not a religious, so I could care less about the supposed affront to religion, but the same people attacking christianity in the public square are also supporting a slew of secular anti-liberty policies and positions. It seems that christians won’t stand up for themselves on the local level in a manner similar that most Americans won’t stand up to defend the integrity of the constitution. Both Christian and Atheist lovers of freedom should be very alarmed.

Spirit Crusher on December 24, 2011 at 12:32 PM

BedBug on December 24, 2011 at 12:31 PM

No no and no. The constitution does not authorize the supreme court to contradict the constitution, douchebag. Even the part that says “congress shall make no law…prohibiting the free exercise [of religion]”

If congress is forbidden to do it, it’s an incredible leap of logic to say that the supreme court can.

gryphon202 on December 24, 2011 at 12:34 PM

SauerKraut537 on December 24, 2011 at 11:42 AM

???????????????????? I have no idea what this means.

DaveDief on December 24, 2011 at 12:34 PM

???????????????????? I have no idea what this means.

DaveDief on December 24, 2011 at 12:34 PM

It’s atheist-speak for “you and me baby ain’t nothin’ but mammals…”

gryphon202 on December 24, 2011 at 12:35 PM

If you don’t believe in Christ, you shouldn’t be celebrating his birthday!
Merry Christmas everyone

Boats48 on December 24, 2011 at 11:34 AM

As far as I’m concerned, Christmas is just a prearranged date to get the family together, exchange presents, and have a party. Religious mythology doesn’t really figure in.

Count to 10 on December 24, 2011 at 12:35 PM

BedBug on December 24, 2011 at 12:31 PM

gryphon202 on December 24, 2011 at 12:34 PM

And yet, there is still abortion. Funny that way, huh? Where in the constitution does it say…no abortions?

BedBug on December 24, 2011 at 12:35 PM

That’s why you don’t fight like a wuss. You can’t keep what you don’t defend. They failed their community.

Yes atheists seem unanimously-strident in their quest to offend Christians. Yes a lot of that seems to be driven by anti-Christian bigotry. (They don’t ever seem to go after Jews or Muslims though. I’ve never heard of an anti-Buddhist either.)

This just proves that you can’t fight fire with fire. You fight fire with water people. Quell that kindling before you burn down the effing forest.

Santa Monica churches FAIL! Santa Monica atheists (if they are even all from Santa Monica) can go suck eggs through a crazy-straw.

Capitalist Hog on December 24, 2011 at 12:36 PM

BedBug on December 24, 2011 at 12:31 PM

Wait … you’re saying the SCOTUS said people can’t put up a nativity scene because it forces people to support Christianity?

How about a church? A church is an obvious symbol of Christianity. Does that force people to support it as well?

Perhaps you think we should get rid of all churches too.

darwin on December 24, 2011 at 12:37 PM

BedBug on December 24, 2011 at 12:35 PM

It doesn’t. Which is why, according to the framers’ original intent, there should either be an Article V convention to address the issue, or it should be addressed at the state level. Sorry if this is over your head BedBug, but the general level of ignorance in regards to the constitution and religious/moral matters doesn’t give me much hope for the future of our nation.

gryphon202 on December 24, 2011 at 12:38 PM

Fallon on December 24, 2011 at 12:26 PM

That’s actually what I’m drinking, right now.

annoyinglittletwerp on December 24, 2011 at 12:39 PM

another battle won! march on fellow atheists, soon Christmas will be no more and our dark lord will be happy! muahahahhaha!

nathor on December 24, 2011 at 12:41 PM

darwin on December 24, 2011 at 12:37 PM

Reading is your friend. Comprehending it is a lot friendlier.
Fossteen brought up abortion in response to this story. I reminded him that abortion was made legal by the Supreme Court.
Get to your first grade reading class. Stat.

BedBug on December 24, 2011 at 12:41 PM

gryphon202 on December 24, 2011 at 11:50 AM

You’re wrong, dogs have 78 chromosomes, humans have 46, and apes have 48. We can’t be 2 and a half chromosomes away from a dog…

The reason we’re half a chromosome away from a chimpanzee is because sometime in the ancient past (millions of years ago), the branch of apes that spawned us and chimpanzees went through a chromasomal fusion and it spawned us humans.

Human Chromosome #2 is the fusion of two ape chromosomes and they know this because each chromosome has what are called telomeres and centromeres. Human chromosome #2 has 4 telomeres and 2 centromeres in it. Two of the telomeres and one of the centromeres are inactive “junk” dna now, but they know the precise fusion point in the human genome where it occurred.

We also have other ways of knowing why we’re a descendant of that ancient ape species… Go read up on Endogenous Retrovirus (ERV) insertions that they find in the same exact spots in the Chimpanzee genome when compared to the human genome.

We ARE cousins to the chimps and all the other apes we find on the planet. Of that there is no doubt.

SauerKraut537 on December 24, 2011 at 12:41 PM

I really don’t want to argue the existence of a creator on this site. I don’t have enough room. But someone here tried the use the genetic similarities of species as an argument against God. Seriously. A simple single cell organism is as complex as any macroscopic galactic system. The DNA molecule itself has an infinite number of combinations yielding an infinite amount of results. The molecule itself is so complex that Watson and Crick had no doubt that it was created and not a random accident. We can use science to try and prove and disprove God all day long but what do you atheist really have against people of faith. How does it hurt you that people believe in something greater than themselves. What insult do they hurl against you by placing a nativity scene. Seriously, you people are nothing but team killers on Call of Duty. You just want to spoil the everyone’s good time for your own little amusement. Selfish, sad, and pitiful. That being said I still have faith in my fellow man, my family, my country, and my God. Merry Christmas to all of you, even Call of Duty team killers and atheists.

ghettogasman on December 24, 2011 at 12:41 PM

I have some good news for you athesists, YOU WILL NOT BURST INTO FLAMES if you happen to gaze on a cross or a Nativity scene! Not once have I read or heard of such a thing happening.

A Merry and Blessed Christmas to us all who do believe.
L

letget on December 24, 2011 at 12:42 PM

nathor on December 24, 2011 at 12:41 PM

Well, at least you’re honest.

darwin on December 24, 2011 at 12:42 PM

So where are the atheists who don’t support this bigotry and suppression? When I was younger Atheists seemed indifferent to religion, but now I see them as this weird militant cult whose methods seem hostile to free expression and favorable to suppression. Christmas is the second most holy Christian holiday, what the hell is wrong with these jerk offs?

It is time we start telling Atheists that they have no God, no religion and NO right to suppress the religious expression of others. Religion and Faith are protected rights in this country and it is time we make it clear that “Freedom From religion” is NOT a right. Shut your eyes and ignore religious displays the way a Christian pays no attention to Passover, a Lutheran pays no attention to Ash Wednesday, and a Jew pays no attention to Ramadan.

Daemonocracy on December 24, 2011 at 12:42 PM

BedBug on December 24, 2011 at 12:35 PM

gryphon202 on December 24, 2011 at 12:38 PM

Yes, yes, your tenth amendment argument.
So, if all things are answered via the constitution, why the three parts of government.
The Justices spoke. Abortion is legal. If you want to change that, you better win next year. Which is in doubt since you guys can’t even get your guys on a ballot.

BedBug on December 24, 2011 at 12:44 PM

SauerKraut537 on December 24, 2011 at 12:41 PM

I like chimps and dogs because they are mammals. Us mammals should stick together.

Daemonocracy on December 24, 2011 at 12:45 PM

SauerKraut537 on December 24, 2011 at 12:41 PM

The dog crack was missing a sarc tag, Kraut. Sorry for getting your panties in a bind.

But I stand by my the rest of my post. Chimps and humans are genetic cousins, yes. That doesn’t necessarily prove that we evolved from apes. And we are an order of magnitude closer to being cousins to each other, regardless of race or gender. Fully 1/10000 of our genetic code allows for a greater diversity in our genetics than any other species on the planet, and that is something that the world’s top geneticists have yet to be able to explain.

gryphon202 on December 24, 2011 at 12:45 PM

BedBug on December 24, 2011 at 12:03 PM

You should become Jehovah’s Witness, they don’t celebrate anything.

RickB on December 24, 2011 at 12:46 PM

Well, at least you’re honest.

darwin on December 24, 2011 at 12:42 PM

Have a hard time understanding sarcasm do you, darwin?

;-)

SauerKraut537 on December 24, 2011 at 12:47 PM

Yes, yes, your tenth amendment argument.

BedBug on December 24, 2011 at 12:44 PM

Well I call bullshit. Have a nice day.

gryphon202 on December 24, 2011 at 12:47 PM

And atheists whine and squeal when the polls show that most people don’t like them. If atheists are supposedly so good with evidence, why are they so blind to the evidence of their own nastiness?

pearson on December 24, 2011 at 12:47 PM

BedBug on December 24, 2011 at 12:03 PM
You should become Jehovah’s Witness, they don’t celebrate anything.

RickB on December 24, 2011 at 12:46 PM

I am a Christian.
I just don’t feel that everyone should have to support or believe as I do.

BedBug on December 24, 2011 at 12:47 PM

Reading is your friend. Comprehending it is a lot friendlier.
Get to your first grade reading class. Stat.

BedBug on December 24, 2011 at 12:41 PM

I was responding to this comment:

BedBug on December 24, 2011 at 12:17 PM

You implied this is a SCOTUS decision.

On another note, you’re losing badly. You really should try and stay on somewhat good terms and be gracious about it.

darwin on December 24, 2011 at 12:47 PM

BedBug on December 24, 2011 at 12:44 PM
Well I call bullshit. Have a nice day.

gryphon202 on December 24, 2011 at 12:47 PM

Oh. Okay.
Nice argument.

BedBug on December 24, 2011 at 12:48 PM

Have a hard time understanding sarcasm do you, darwin?

;-)

SauerKraut537 on December 24, 2011 at 12:47 PM

Apparently not as hard as you.

darwin on December 24, 2011 at 12:49 PM

My “tenth amendment argument” isn’t an argument. It’s text with an explicit meaning located in the constitution. That so many people seem to be okay with ignoring it… *sigh* America is as good as over already.

gryphon202 on December 24, 2011 at 12:49 PM

This is going to give Bill O’Reilly a stroke.
Bravo!

BedBug on December 24, 2011 at 12:03 PM

Got up early did you?
Looking under the tree for something?
I think someone should go sit on the toilet a little longer!
Oh…but, Merry Christmas anyway.

KOOLAID2 on December 24, 2011 at 12:49 PM

Perhaps you think we should get rid of all churches too.

darwin on December 24, 2011 at 12:37 PM

I’m sorry but I don’t have to suffer idiots on Christmas Eve. You are making zero sense. The city gave free use of public space to groups on lottery basis. That’s fair.

You should be mad at the losers who let Jesus get beat out by a slab of concrete. That’s not what I call worship or praise.

Capitalist Hog on December 24, 2011 at 12:50 PM

I am a Christian.
I just don’t feel that everyone should have to support or believe as I do.

BedBug on December 24, 2011 at 12:47 PM

You are also a douchebag. Living proof that atheists, though quite capable of douchebaggery, do not have a monopoly on it by a longshot.

gryphon202 on December 24, 2011 at 12:50 PM

Bishop on December 24, 2011 at 12:15 PM

And the over/under that grandma will be run over by a reindeer?

hawkdriver on December 24, 2011 at 12:50 PM

BedBug on December 24, 2011 at 12:17 PM
You implied this is a SCOTUS decision.

darwin on December 24, 2011 at 12:47 PM

I implied no such thing. He brought up the nativity scene and abortion.
So, by stayingon good terms and being gracious about it level out to kissing your butt because this is a conservative site?
Really? This place needs some alternate views to the good old boy network you have running up in here.

BedBug on December 24, 2011 at 12:50 PM

Merry CHRISTmas, y’all!

kingsjester on December 24, 2011 at 10:59 AM

christmas is the name in english, in latin languages where this whole tradition started its called Noel, Natal, Natale, etc which is comes from the old celebration of the roman pagan cult of sol invictus. the romans called christmas day :natalis invicti Solis

i am happy that Christians celebrate with us pagans, this winter solstice festivity. i am sure they know deep down, that their god is inferior to the great god that is the invincible sun.
glory to the invincible sun!

NATALIS INVICTIS SOLIS!

nathor on December 24, 2011 at 12:51 PM

Daemonocracy on December 24, 2011 at 12:42 PM

Dude. Really well said! Merry Christmas man.

ghettogasman on December 24, 2011 at 12:51 PM

So where are the atheists who don’t support this bigotry and suppression? When I was younger Atheists seemed indifferent to religion.

Daemonocracy on December 24, 2011 at 12:42 PM

This is my attitude. I enjoy the various holidays as marvelous chance to get together with family and friends even though I have no religious beliefs. I have absolutely no problem with the various religious holidays and public displays of those that do. In fact, I find nativity scenes and the good cheer associated with them to be welcoming and a sign of a healthy community. Militant atheism is sparking and equally intolerant reaction by religious people as they try and fight back against the maniacal political agenda of militant atheists. It’s alarming and unhealthy for society in general.

oh yeah…and Merry Christmas from an constitution defending atheist to one and all.

Spirit Crusher on December 24, 2011 at 12:51 PM

gryphon202 on December 24, 2011 at 12:45 PM

Well what to you constitutes proof of it? What would you have to know in order to understand the truth of it?

Give me some examples of reasons we’re not close cousins to chimps and other apes…

We have nearly the same genetic “code”, codon by codon, as them

We have ERV insertions spread out among the DNA of both species that match up letter for letter and show up in the same exact spot in their and our DNA.

Our internal organs are all aligned exactly the same as them, the chemistry of our blood is the same, we have the same features in our face and hands and overall function of our bodies.

The evidence is all there Gryphon… Why try to deny it?

SauerKraut537 on December 24, 2011 at 12:53 PM

BedBug on December 24, 2011 at 12:50 PM

Why? If we wanted to hang out at HuffPo or dKos, we would go there.

kingsjester on December 24, 2011 at 12:53 PM

BedBug on December 24, 2011 at 12:03 PM
Got up early did you?
Looking under the tree for something?
I think someone should go sit on the toilet a little longer!
Oh…but, Merry Christmas anyway.

KOOLAID2 on December 24, 2011 at 12:49 PM

Plenty of presents under the tree.
More going to the local charities.
And, Merry Christmas to you, Koolaid.

BedBug on December 24, 2011 at 12:53 PM

My JEWISH mother doesn’t have a problem with Nativity scenes, Christmas Carols, or Christmas/Christians.
Atheists(I used to be one) can Get. Over. It!

annoyinglittletwerp on December 24, 2011 at 12:54 PM

I implied no such thing. He brought up the nativity scene and abortion.

BedBug on December 24, 2011 at 12:50 PM

I’m just trying to find out where you got this idea that a nativity scene forces people to support Christianity … and if other symbols of Christianity have the same effect.

darwin on December 24, 2011 at 12:54 PM

Let this thread serve as an example that Atheists are more often than not the ones that turn the discussion ugly.

And I’ll lay even money Bedbugs is AnninCA.

hawkdriver on December 24, 2011 at 12:54 PM