California atheists block out nativity scenes

posted at 10:30 am on December 24, 2011 by Jazz Shaw

I don’t like dredging up that whole “war on Christmas” thing, but (with apologies in advance to Allahpundit) this story kind of gets under my skin. In Santa Monica, California, there is apparently one particular stretch of road alongside a park which has traditionally been set aside for Christmas displays. The nativity scenes on display have been popular with residents and tourists. But in order to be fair to everyone, the city used a lottery to allocate space to groups wishing to put up Creche displays and related scenes. Now, a group of atheists are accused of swamping the lottery and taking over the lots.

This year, however, atheists have taken over most of the two-block stretch, nearly shutting out and angering a group of churches who contend the atheists have organized against the Christians and gamed a city lottery process allocating the holiday exhibit space.

In response, a leader of the atheist group says he’s just looking for evenhanded treatment to present his beliefs in a public space — and goes so far as to say that the city shouldn’t even be allowing any religious or even atheist expression in the park.

That’s why he and his group have put nothing on half of the park exhibit spaces that they’ve secured from the city this year.

The atheists are declaring the politically left-leaning seaside town of Santa Monica as their latest battleground in a national movement to assert their rights.

“I’m part of a growing movement in America of atheists standing up for their rights. It’s a very exciting time for us that we’re having more of an impact in our society,” said Damon Vix, the organizer of the atheist group.

Yes, you’re having a big “impact” on the local society, alright. You’re getting everyone angry at you and ruining their holiday season to no apparent purpose. In the interview, Mr. Vix makes it clear that he has no interest in seeing other people’s views being represented – he just doesn’t want the Christians to use it.

In the interest of fairness, I could see if competing groups wanted to use some of the lots for an alternative display. If somebody wants to put up a big menorah on one of the lots, I don’t think anyone is going to get too worked up over it. And for these atheists, if they had something in mind as an alternative message… even a Festivus pole and a wrestling mat for some feats of strength, I’d probably have to give them some support. But to lock off the land to leave it empty rather than allow a nativity scene? That’s not some fight for equality or freedom. That’s just being a Grinch.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 7

And so they embrace a movement to help them find them meaning to their lives…

Merry Christmas to all!

Drained Brain on December 24, 2011 at 10:33 AM

Bah humbug.

herm2416 on December 24, 2011 at 10:33 AM

15% of the country setting the agenda, and direction the country is going. Makes perfect sense in a democracy where the majority feels guilty about being the majority.

Skandia Recluse on December 24, 2011 at 10:34 AM

Though I’m marginally Jewish I have ZERO problem with Nativity Scenes. Sure-if it’s in a park or something it would be nice if there was also a menorah featured(Yea Jooos!)-but if there isn’t it’s no biggie.
This nation was founded on Judeo-Christian values. If that want to see what a nation founded on atheist looks like they need to open a history book and go to the chapter on the USSR.

annoyinglittletwerp on December 24, 2011 at 10:39 AM

For atheists, the reason for the season is to tell me that I’m an idiot. Thanks, happy holidays to you too.

RBMN on December 24, 2011 at 10:39 AM

Since atheists believe in nothing, I guess it’s appropriate their lot is empty. I agree with you Jazz, they’re being cantankerous just because. If they believed in equality, they’d let Christians display their religious scenes. Not sure how they think this will win any converts to their cause.

conservative pilgrim on December 24, 2011 at 10:39 AM

Sounds like the same juvenile idiot behavior that characterizes OWS and most of the Democratic Party.

mad scientist on December 24, 2011 at 10:39 AM

Is this kind of a action fueled by these folks atheism or simply by their desire to be publicly intolerant of another group of which it is safe, and quite “hip,” to be intolerant?

I am of the firm belief that intolerance and bigotry is more of a personality type than a belief system. Were we living in a time when public intolerance toward a particular racial group were socially acceptable, I believe that many of these same people would be publicly insulting and interfering with them instead.

29Victor on December 24, 2011 at 10:42 AM

Making friends and influencing people – Jacobin style.

forest on December 24, 2011 at 10:42 AM

What rights is this Godless man talking about? What impact do the athiests make on society? It’s like OWS. What do they want, a national holiday for the birth of Christopher Hitchens?

Vince on December 24, 2011 at 10:43 AM

I still don’t understand how a nativity scene offends people. I am agnostic and love seeing Christmas lights and displays, including nativity scenes. I don’t get the animosity.

I also wish people Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukkah all the time. No skin off my nose.

Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukkah!

Fallon on December 24, 2011 at 10:43 AM

This just shows “atheism” is a religion, too. A true atheist wouldn’t care what other people do as worship, because the atheist would consider it a waste of their time. But this spiteful crap is just like the global warming people: it IS a religion to them and therefore competing thought must be eliminated.

Intrepid767 on December 24, 2011 at 10:44 AM

“Grinch” doesn’t begin to cover it.

“Flaming rectum” would be a good start.

novaculus on December 24, 2011 at 10:44 AM

And….the story comes out of California!
Shocked and surprised.
Merry Christmas everybody!

KOOLAID2 on December 24, 2011 at 10:44 AM

What do they want, a national holiday for the birth of Christopher Hitchens?

Vince on December 24, 2011 at 10:43 AM

Hmmm… Merry Hitchness! Nah, it doesn’t have the same ring and there’d be no gifties.

Fallon on December 24, 2011 at 10:45 AM

Vocal atheists love to blather on about the superiority of secular humanity to religious morality but all they ever do is act like douche bags in the public square. They don’t pick some positive message of their own – all they have is their hate (I’m talking about the militant atheists here and not the ones who actually just want to be left alone).

gwelf on December 24, 2011 at 10:46 AM

That’s just being a Grinch.

Tut tut. Dr. Seuss reference. I want equal time for Charles Dickens, Hans Christian Andersen, and maybe Larry Flynt for good measure.

Paul-Cincy on December 24, 2011 at 10:47 AM

Shutuppery in action

Grunt on December 24, 2011 at 10:47 AM

OldEnglish on December 24, 2011 at 10:48 AM

I’d just put on my Tim Tebow jersey and walk around the park all day. And I’m willing to bet not one athiest would approach me about it.

VegasRick on December 24, 2011 at 10:49 AM

I’m an Atheist and even I get tired of this. Let them have their nativity scene. I’m just surprised the local groups haven’t sued over the fact that we vote in the assembly halls of community churches.

joekenha on December 24, 2011 at 10:49 AM

mad scientist on December 24, 2011 at 10:39 AM

Sounds like we have a tread winner.
Merry Christmas to All!!

Neal4007 on December 24, 2011 at 10:50 AM

Hmm… attemps like this usually backfire in some way. I would assume that all of the open space will make the few nativity scenes that are there stand out that much more. Checkmate.

Gravel Gertie on December 24, 2011 at 10:50 AM

Neighborhoods should ban together and do stuff on their property in a BIG WAY.

Cindy Munford on December 24, 2011 at 10:51 AM

Intrepid767 on December 24, 2011 at 10:44 AM

I agree wholeheartedly.

OldEnglish on December 24, 2011 at 10:51 AM

You want to see how people are combating this insanity? Watch this.
You can’t keep Americans from expressing who they are no matter how many obstacles are put in their way!!!!!!

This is a 1000 on the awesome meter!

katy on December 24, 2011 at 10:52 AM

29Victor on December 24, 2011 at 10:42 AM

Agree 100%. I think of the vile things the Left says, often with glee, about those with whom they disagree. Primarily they want to find someone to hate, and secondarily, find someone who it’s politically acceptable to hate. But that desire (or personality type) to hate comes first.

Paul-Cincy on December 24, 2011 at 10:52 AM

Since the area was set aside for ‘displays’, one would hope that SOMEONE in the city – next year – would immediately toss any application from a group that misused their previous years allocation by putting up NOTHING.

GarandFan on December 24, 2011 at 10:54 AM

That’s just being a Grinch.

I hate to nitpick, but it’s spelled “d-o-u-c-h-e.”

Seriously though, Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah and have a safe and happy New Year everyone!

DrAllecon on December 24, 2011 at 10:55 AM

Grunt on December 24, 2011 at 10:47 AM

Andrew Klavan…Meeee-OW!
What?

annoyinglittletwerp on December 24, 2011 at 10:55 AM

We call it Soviet Monica.

artist on December 24, 2011 at 10:55 AM

How rabid non-believers are! Eighty-percent of Americans identify as Christians and 90% of Americans celebrate Christmas. Why are we putting up with these Anarchist Contrarians? They don’t have to believe in God, that is their choice, however, they do not have a right to interfere with our right to express our beliefs freely and openly.

While 81% identify themselves as Christians, 93% celebrate Christmas

and;

and;

and;

sinsing on December 24, 2011 at 10:55 AM

They can abolish every Nativity, burn every Bible, insult, degrade but as the Grinch realized, Christmas still came.

Others have tried to exinguish the light of Christ but Truth is still Truth. And it will remain a beacon beckoning to the lost, the hurting, the lonely and yes….even to these people.

Forgive them Father, for they know not what they do.

Merry Christmas to all.

sanjuro on December 24, 2011 at 10:55 AM

Christopher Hitchens was the last of the true atheists: he hated all religions besides his own with exactly equal fevor.

Liberals will defend Islam to the death (of many people besides themselves.) When they say they are “atheist,” what they really mean is that they are anti-Christ.

logis on December 24, 2011 at 10:55 AM

Somebody should go down there and erect a giant hammer and sickle – the true symbols of Atheism.

rockmom on December 24, 2011 at 10:56 AM

True, that park has a long running tradition of beautiful well done Christmas displays overlooking the ocean. My parents used to take us kids there every year when I was a child. But, there are many, many other grand Christmas displays throughout that area- as well as throughout the greater Los Angeles County and Orange County areas.

Let the atheists game the system and have their little pity party in that little park this year if it makes them feel better about themselves. In fact, turn the other cheek and from now on just predesignate a portion of that park as the atheist’s own chunk each and every year. The rest of the park can still be carved up for people who want to exhibit Christmas displays and everyone can be happy.

FlatFoot on December 24, 2011 at 10:57 AM

Why don’t you “like dredging up that whole ‘war on Christmas’ thing”? It should be dredged up. It’s real, it’s not right, and it’s symptomatic of so much of what’s wrong in this country.

patricius on December 24, 2011 at 10:57 AM

“If there were no God, there would be no atheists.”
― G.K. Chesterton

A Blessed Christmas to all.

publiuspen on December 24, 2011 at 10:57 AM

Let the heathen rage.

Merry CHRISTmas, y’all!

kingsjester on December 24, 2011 at 10:59 AM

Vince on December 24, 2011 at 10:43 AM

Good question! Where do “rights” of man come from, if not from the Creator? Man-given “rights” can be taken away as easily as they are given. Atheists see no hypocrisy in claiming rights which are actually granted by God.

rockmom on December 24, 2011 at 10:59 AM

Atheists and their insecurity make me smile.

Merry Christmas!!

CW on December 24, 2011 at 10:59 AM

The only impact this clown needs is a boot in his ass.

BallisticBob on December 24, 2011 at 10:59 AM

@BallisticBob,
That’s the one statement that bounded-out at me and hollered. What irony. What delicious irony. Yes, they ARE having an impact on society. Is it the one he wants?

Gravel Gertie on December 24, 2011 at 11:01 AM

So it’s not about rights or what they believe in.

It’s about putting a blindfold on the public, because allowing people of faith to show their beliefs in public is so offensive to the tiny minority, any mean spirited act of cruelty is justified.

Whatever happened to athiests who didn’t care about what others believed?

Now, it’s all in your face, you are either crazy or stupid, and if alienating and angering 80% is what it takes… then they’ll happily discredit themselves as anything but cranks and scolds.

mark81150 on December 24, 2011 at 11:01 AM

The only impact this clown needs is a boot in his ass.

BallisticBob on December 24, 2011 at 10:59 AM

rofl..:)

Dire Straits on December 24, 2011 at 11:02 AM

I am a senior citizen, a Christian, and white—and I make NO APOLOGIES for that! I am PROUD to be WHO I am! Merry Christmas to ALL, and a blessed and safe holiday season. God bless our troops near and abroad. God BLESS America!

DixT on December 24, 2011 at 11:02 AM

For a group that is certain that God does not exist, they sure are mad at Him.

BruinEric on December 24, 2011 at 11:03 AM

Eventually they’ll learn what the Grinch learned.

GeorgieGirl9 on December 24, 2011 at 11:03 AM

OK. I got to go finish my last-minute Merry Hitchmass shopping. I’ll make sure to remember to drop my extra change in the “Nothingness Army” buckets.

Gravel Gertie on December 24, 2011 at 11:03 AM

kingsjester on December 24, 2011 at 10:59 AM

Very Good Post KJ..:)

PS..Merry Christmas..:)

Dire Straits on December 24, 2011 at 11:03 AM

Atheists and their insecurity make me smile.

Merry Christmas!!

CW on December 24, 2011 at 10:59 AM

As a former hard-core atheist, I agree 100%.

Merry Christmas everyone. God bless us all. And even better than His birth, He died and was raised for our justification, a firstfruits showing us what awaits for those who love Him and are called according to His purpose. He lives.

The Rogue Tomato on December 24, 2011 at 11:04 AM

The only impact this clown needs is a boot in his ass.

BallisticBob on December 24, 2011 at 10:59 AM

*Rick raises hand

VegasRick on December 24, 2011 at 11:04 AM

Why aren’t the atheists raising a big stink about having to live in a city named for St. Monica, mother of St. Augustine? You would think this would be oppressive for them or something.

Bunch of silly nonsense, IMHO.

Merry Christmas to all, including weird-acting atheists.

Horace on December 24, 2011 at 11:04 AM

It never ceases to amuse me how these “rational” thinkers continue to win friends and influence enemies with their irrational and emotional actions.

Religious_Zealot on December 24, 2011 at 11:05 AM

Some great even handed comments here.

It is a season for love and understanding. I’ve never understood why it was so important for some Atheists to derail simple holiday traditions. If our arguments as to the existence of the spirit are as weak to them as they proclaim, how much more harmful could our symbols of the holiday be?

hawkdriver on December 24, 2011 at 11:05 AM

Merry Christmas and Happy Chanukkah fellow Hot Airians!

annoyinglittletwerp on December 24, 2011 at 11:06 AM

They’re not having any fun so they want to make sure nobody else does either. So childish.

Dee2008 on December 24, 2011 at 11:06 AM

Someone needs to pull a Clark Griwald and Put up a HUGE Nativity Scene..:)

Dire Straits on December 24, 2011 at 11:06 AM

He lives.

The Rogue Tomato on December 24, 2011 at 11:04 AM

Your entire comment. Very moving.

hawkdriver on December 24, 2011 at 11:06 AM

What exactly do these atheists display…Their “belief” is “non-belief”. What constitutes a good display, a manger scene with a big question mark or a big red circle crossed out where the baby Jesus would be? I have nothing against atheists, some of my best buds are. But this is ridiculous.

JetBoy on December 24, 2011 at 11:07 AM

This story is funny, since the “grinch” literally lives across the street from me. It is odd. He seemingly is a nice guy and good neighbor. He told my wife about this about 3 weeks before it hit the news and the summation when she got home was “wow, what a dick”.

Oh well, he is 6’7 and drives a smart car. I get to watch him fold himself into that car every day. Life takes its course no matter what ;)

Fuligin on December 24, 2011 at 11:07 AM

It’s actually fairly easy to humiliate people like this. Anytime I am at a gathering there is always someone who has a political stripe that either hates Christianity, hates the military, or loves to see the flag burned. They always preach about how America brings bad things onto itself. So I usually indulge them by encouraging them to speak what they believe, then near the end I ask them who they voted for President in the last election. I would say nearly 90% of the time they name the democrat, to which I reply “Oh, so you’re on THAT team? I guess you’re right, they do support the stuff you’re saying. It seems like they hate a lot of good things about America.”

Generally those nearby realize that’s not the team they want to be on. The person in question starts to realize what they just said about their party.

goflyers on December 24, 2011 at 11:07 AM

Someone needs to pull a Clark Griswold and put up a HUGE Nativity Scene..:)

Dire Straits on December 24, 2011 at 11:06 AM

Sorry..:)

Dire Straits on December 24, 2011 at 11:08 AM

gwelf on December 24, 2011 at 10:46 AM

Indeed.

digitalhap on December 24, 2011 at 11:08 AM

And the LIbs just love to insist there is no war on Christmas….

moc23 on December 24, 2011 at 11:09 AM

The Rogue Tomato on December 24, 2011 at 11:04 AM

+ 100..:)

Dire Straits on December 24, 2011 at 11:09 AM

Merry Christmas and Happy Chanukkah fellow Hot Airians!

annoyinglittletwerp on December 24, 2011 at 11:06 AM

Right back at ya, twerp! One of my favs for the season…

JetBoy on December 24, 2011 at 11:10 AM

Behold:

It’s “Occupy Christmas.”

DRPrice on December 24, 2011 at 11:10 AM

Shutuppery in action

Grunt on December 24, 2011 at 10:47 AM

He nailed it. Under pure socialism, stubborn freedom-loving people are imprisoned and/or killed. Under European-style soft-socialism, the culture just goes through a slow decline of purpose first, gradually surrendering, and then, same thing. It all starts with hearing some form of “shut up,” and not fighting back.

RBMN on December 24, 2011 at 11:10 AM

But to lock off the land to leave it empty

That says a lot about the atheist mindset right there.

vcferlita on December 24, 2011 at 11:11 AM

Right back at ya, twerp! One of my favs for the season…

JetBoy on December 24, 2011 at 11:10 AM

Behold:

I sang that in English with St. Joe’s(Homewood, IL) choir last year.
Beautiful!

annoyinglittletwerp on December 24, 2011 at 11:12 AM

I find it so funny that those with no moral code reach out to find god when they are dying or in prison. These are the same people who usually hate the cops and the same one’s who vote for Obama.

RAIDER on December 24, 2011 at 11:14 AM

Forgive them Father, for they know not what they do.

Merry Christmas to all.

sanjuro on December 24, 2011 at 10:55 AM

This. And I also agree with:

The Rogue Tomato on December 24, 2011 at 11:04 AM

So many good comments, I really don’t have anything to add except to say hear, hear! I’m glad to see the sentiments expressed here at HA. Merry CHRISTmas to all and a Happy New Year.

theotherone on December 24, 2011 at 11:14 AM

It’s sad when pretty lights and a scene of a happy family make some people angry.

Merry Christmas, everyone!

Javahog on December 24, 2011 at 11:14 AM

This is my husband’s favorite Christmas song.

annoyinglittletwerp on December 24, 2011 at 11:15 AM

Not me. Unless those groups (who shouldn’t be competing in the first place) have a legitimate and widely recognized holiday they celebrate at this time of year. Jews certainly qualify. But just like all religions, they’re a matter of choice; you can either chose to follow one or not follow one and your choice determines how and what you celebrate- it does not determine how and what others celebrate.

BKeyser on December 24, 2011 at 11:15 AM

Some great even handed comments here.

hawkdriver on December 24, 2011 at 11:05 AM

The Atheists probably would go all out to decorate that empty space…during Halloween!

KOOLAID2 on December 24, 2011 at 11:16 AM

Behold:

It’s “Occupy Christmas.”

DRPrice on December 24, 2011 at 11:10 AM

I nominate this for thread winner..:)

Dire Straits on December 24, 2011 at 11:16 AM

sanjuro on December 24, 2011 at 10:55 AM

Well stated, and Merry Christ Mass to you.

listens2glenn on December 24, 2011 at 11:17 AM

All, or nothing, as far as I’m concerned. These false atheists are an utter disgrace. OldEnglish on December 24, 2011 at 10:48 AM

What do you mean by false? This is how atheists always behave when they have authority, whether they get it by lottery or revolution.

Akzed on December 24, 2011 at 11:17 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on December 24, 2011 at 11:15 AM

Merry Christmas alt..:)

Dire Straits on December 24, 2011 at 11:17 AM

I don’t see Jehovah’s Witnesses trying to hinder the Christian celebration. Nor Jews. Nor Muslims. Just atheists. BKeyser on December 24, 2011 at 11:15 AM

Because there is no god and atheists hate him.

Akzed on December 24, 2011 at 11:18 AM

publiuspen on December 24, 2011 at 10:57 AM

I had not heard that one before. : )

listens2glenn on December 24, 2011 at 11:19 AM

To an Atheist
Make no mistake your lack of belief in God is, in fact, another form of religion. It is a religion that exalts the power of intelligence, reason and pride. You emulate the very traits of Satan. You, in your blindness, follow another faith – the adulation of the Dark where no love exists.

timberline on December 24, 2011 at 11:20 AM

Merry Christmas alt..:)

Dire Straits on December 24, 2011 at 11:17 AM

Back at ya, Dire!
We’re supposed to leave for Soviet California tomorrow-unfortunately a big mess that we need to drive through stands about an hour west of us…it’s called New Mexico.
*sigh* LoL

annoyinglittletwerp on December 24, 2011 at 11:21 AM

Godless scum . . . In this country I’m only forced to live with them in the same geographical space, not accept them or pander to them.

rplat on December 24, 2011 at 11:23 AM

Jazz

Maybe you should be less concerned about “dredging up” the War on Christmas, and just report on it because it is happening all around you. Ignoring it won’t make it go away

Merry Christmas/Happy Hannukah :-)

DaMav

DaMav on December 24, 2011 at 11:23 AM

One more thought I have on this topic. I noticed they mocked Jesus, Angels, Santa, and Satan.

No mocking of Mohammed or allah.

They mock the last two, and I would have a measure of respect. But no, they mock the only group that will absolutely not track them down and kill them.

Pantywaists.

Fuligin on December 24, 2011 at 11:24 AM

Akzed on December 24, 2011 at 11:17 AM

Remember, I’m no atheist…but you do have a tendency to throw a large blanket around some topics. You do the same with teh gheys, “This is how teh gheys always behave” when it’s really the loud and vocal ghey groups. This is how the “loud, vocal atheist” groups behave. Certainly not representative of all atheists.

Anyhoo…wishing you and yours a Merry Christmas!

JetBoy on December 24, 2011 at 11:25 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on December 24, 2011 at 11:21 AM

Good luck and have a safe trip..:)

Dire Straits on December 24, 2011 at 11:25 AM

The city is named after a saint. Why aren’t they trying to rename it?

Seriously, these groups pull this crap at one venue or another. One year, they reserved a local peak on Easter Sunday so Christians couldn’t gather there at sunrise. Therefore, it pays to be vigilant of their antics and not let them get away with it. Anyway, since this time of year means nothing except to Christians, they should be given preference.

Blake on December 24, 2011 at 11:25 AM

Don’t kid yourselves. This is a war on Christianity. Athiests hate God. If they don’t believe in Him, what difference does it make if we Christians display our love and devotion to Him?

They hate God and everything about Him. It’s time Christians stop turning the other cheek and fight back.

Merry Christmas to all. May His blessings smile upon you and yours now and forever.

madmonkphotog on December 24, 2011 at 11:25 AM

BKeyser on December 24, 2011 at 11:15 AM

Sure, in the U.S.

Try celebrating Christmas in any “Sharia Law” country.

listens2glenn on December 24, 2011 at 11:26 AM

Anyhoo…wishing you and yours a Merry Christmas!

JetBoy on December 24, 2011 at 11:25 AM

Well I can’t think of country that atheists ran that didn’t include suppression of religion.

Merry Christmas to you too, meaning, I hope you repent!

Akzed on December 24, 2011 at 11:27 AM

Why don’t the atheist and lefties put up a display of their one true God–a giant picture of Barack Obama.

I’m glad the left finally found a god they can believe in.

bailey24 on December 24, 2011 at 11:29 AM

As an atheist, I’m disgusted by this. While I don’t want to see public money being spent on things like nativity scenes or 10 commandment monuements in courts, allowing these things on public grounds if paid for privately are perfectly fine. Not once in my life was I tempted to change my beliefs or felt like I was being oppressed by seeing a nativity scene. The people in my life that I like and trust the most are all Christians. And I also like Christmas. If nothing else, Christmas is a vital aspect of our economy, why would I want to ruin that? But there’s more to Christmas than that. The decorations make our towns look beautiful during an otherwise dreary time of year, people seem friendly and happier, and often this is the best chance to spend quality time with friends and family during an otherwise hectic year. Gift giving is a way to make other people special and to feel good about ourselves. These are all good things. Why would I want to change any of that? I’m aware that I’m in a very small minority by being an atheist and that 3/4 of the country are Christians. If a viewpoint is going to be prevelant, it should be that of the 3/4s view, not mine. Anyways, Merry Christmas!

Flange on December 24, 2011 at 11:30 AM

As an atheist, I have a big problem with self-professed atheists who get their panties in a wad over religious displays. Big deal..if it offends you, avert your eyes. Why should it offend if religion means nothing to me?
They’re either looking for attention they feel they missed out on as children, or they’re under (what my Grandma used to say) ‘good old Godly conviction’.
In my book, they are fools with no respect or tolerance for others.

ohiochili on December 24, 2011 at 11:32 AM

Flange on December 24, 2011 at 11:30 AM

Why you gotta be so reasonable? You’re ruining the narrative. ;-)

gryphon202 on December 24, 2011 at 11:32 AM

Why should it offend if religion means nothing to me?

ohiochili on December 24, 2011 at 11:32 AM

And there’s the million dollar question. If one is offended by displays of religious piety, then clearly religion does mean something to that person.

gryphon202 on December 24, 2011 at 11:33 AM

I admit i’m not real comfortable with Christian displays on public property, but let’s be honest, atheists don’t want their views represented, they just want to use this time of year to bash Christians.

clearbluesky on December 24, 2011 at 11:33 AM