Video: Occupy DC protesters react to Time magazine’s POTY

posted at 8:30 pm on December 23, 2011 by Tina Korbe

One protester caught the irony: Time magazine is itself a part of a media conglomerate (a.k.a. a corporation, the 1 percent, the Man, the Machine). To be honored by them, then, the lone protester said, is actually a “slap in the face.”

The rest of the protesters? They were just elated — some to the level of profanity, others to the level of a meta-meta-meta moment, still others to the level of tears. It’s touching, really: These people who never knew what it was, exactly, that they set out to accomplish take validation from Time magazine as evidence that they did, in fact, accomplish it.

Comments

I just love the occupy movement. Hope how soon WE occupy the White House.

Long haired country boy on December 23, 2011 at 8:35 PM

It’s POTY Time!

Flange on December 23, 2011 at 8:37 PM

God bless them.
Nancy Pelosi

JimboHoffa on December 23, 2011 at 8:38 PM

I thought Cheech and Chong were part of the 1%?

BRunner on December 23, 2011 at 8:40 PM

Ah the Occupy Movement….Nothing a fire hose flame thrower couldn’t cure.

BigWyo on December 23, 2011 at 8:40 PM

They should have asked how they felt being voted POTY by TIME just like HITLER & OSAMA BIN LADEN was!

Opposite Day on December 23, 2011 at 8:41 PM

What is this Time Magazine you speak of?

jukin3 on December 23, 2011 at 8:48 PM

“Arabs invented everything bitches!”

…heh

equanimous on December 23, 2011 at 8:51 PM

Whoa. Dudes. It’s like winnin’ a, like, Nobel Peace Prize an’ stuff.

M240H on December 23, 2011 at 8:53 PM

I wanted to vote the guy who crapped on a cop car a POTY too.

AnotherOpinion on December 23, 2011 at 8:53 PM

How about Anthony Weiner for….POTY?

racquetballer on December 23, 2011 at 8:56 PM

OWS is just a pathetic hipster be-in, and Time Magazine is a lackey lapdog of the Obama Administration.

SlaveDog on December 23, 2011 at 8:56 PM

Time Magazine made themselves irrelevant when they declared war on Bush. the magazine – never conservative to begin with, pursued a naked agenda of cant, and became a useless rag.

I grew up reading Time because my father subscribed since the ’50s. Time was my inroduction to the world of government and news and politics.

We both canceled our subscriptions during Bush’s second term, because we saw no benefit in paying for what had become a propaganda rag. And for my dad to cancel, after subscribing for 50 years – he’s as steady and non-reactionary as it gets – it took a lot.

Time and Newsweek committed hari kiri over Bush.

cane_loader on December 23, 2011 at 8:57 PM

Time jumped the shark a long time ago. This just proves that they have no intention of trying to find their way back.

AZfederalist on December 23, 2011 at 9:11 PM

*cRaCk*

…going…going…GONE!

Korbe hits it out of the park!

FlatFoot on December 23, 2011 at 9:28 PM

All they ever wanted was attention.

Mission accomplished. In spades. Is it any wonder why these utterly worthless nacissistic morons are the closest thing liberals have to HERO’s?

logis on December 23, 2011 at 9:29 PM

All they ever wanted was attention.

Mission accomplished.

logis on December 23, 2011 at 9:29 PM

That was quite insightful. Thanks for putting that into a very succinct summary.

AZfederalist on December 23, 2011 at 9:39 PM

(a.k.a. a corporation, the 1 percent, the Man, the Machine)

I thought the 1% were the rich individuals who are making more money and paying less taxes. You know, people like: George Soros, Warren Buffet, Larry Ellison, Christy Walton (Wal-Mart), Bill Gates. They’re all EVIL REPUPL …errr, nevermind.

Fenris on December 23, 2011 at 9:48 PM

Time and Newsweek’s relevance has declined to the point they have less credibility than the National Inquirer. There are other organizations just as deserving of ridicule and contempt since they have opted to support only memebers of the scientific, literary, and artistic community who embrace socialistic/progressive positions rather than objectivity and/or exemplary contribution: for instance, the Pulitzer and Nobel fiascoes. So, to cut to the chase, I wouldn’t be surprised if an OWS participant won a Pulitzer for obscene graffiti painted on a protest sign or the Nobel for having created the human waste refuse that produced a new and viral bug.

Oracleforhire on December 23, 2011 at 9:50 PM

Small group, idolized by a shrinking magazine.

They were made for each other.

GarandFan on December 23, 2011 at 10:17 PM

The MSM has now done everything but scream from the rooftops that they are against mainstream working Americans… Since mental problems are usually progressive unless properly treated… I expect that too soon.

RalphyBoy on December 23, 2011 at 10:48 PM

They feel slapped in the face?

Imagine how SEAL Team Six feels.

Wander on December 23, 2011 at 10:55 PM

Time and Newsweek committed hari kiri over Bush.

cane_loader on December 23, 2011 at 8:57 PM
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Woah! Freaky…Exact scenario in my household (except dad gave us US News & World Report…for balance)
We can send Time to the OWS people…so they have something to wipe with, after poohping on police cars. Easier to carry than a roll of toilet paper!

KOOLAID2 on December 24, 2011 at 12:09 AM

Growing up, I was a big news, journalism, history buff (still am really), and I actually collected TIME Magazine covers as they came.

Conservative though I have been forever, I still read all the big media until after 9/11 when the blogosphere came along and I realized that, not only did I not need them, but their relentless advancement of the leftist narrative was for the first time really and truly spelled out in real time. (For which we ALL owe people like JWF our eternal gratitude.)

So I will never forget a year or so back when I just happened to pick up TIME for the first time in ages. You know what thought immediately went through my head?

An old friend with terrible cancer, or perhaps meth addiction. I last saw him at 180 pounds, now he’s a gaunt and scraggly-haired 120. TIME was now as thick as a Marvel Spiderman comic off the rack, and about as relevant. I was not about to cry, but it really was like seeing an old childhood friend who was not long for this world. And, given it’s illustrious history, it IS tragic, it really is. Same thing with America’s premier socialist journal — Newsweek. I don’t lament the meth they have been peddling of late, I sure do lament their once grand role in the history of the Republic.

And I said some time ago, that if TIME declares OWS “People of the Year” or some nonsense, then I give them one to two years, tops, and they are over and out of business. Done. And here they are.

Fools.

Never forget the number of Stalin’s victims, standing back to the wall, who shouted “long live Stalin!” as Stalin’s bullets crashed into them.

Fools.

Andrew X on December 24, 2011 at 12:41 AM

Well, maybe now they’ll shut the hell up.

squint on December 24, 2011 at 1:23 AM

Mostly bunch of stinking bums and deranged creeps. Glad we don’t have olfactory-capable smartphones (yet).

Sherman1864 on December 24, 2011 at 1:40 AM

I’m not sure who stinks worse, Time magazine or this group of buffoons.

Roymunson on December 24, 2011 at 1:59 AM

They feel slapped in the face?

Imagine how SEAL Team Six feels.

Wander on December 23, 2011 at 10:55 PM

Wow. Thread winner?

listens2glenn on December 24, 2011 at 2:24 AM

The liberal press has nothing but contempt for average, every day Americans. They think we are a bunch of hayseed hicks who can’t think and manage our own lives. They especially despise flyover country.

karenhasfreedom on December 24, 2011 at 2:35 AM

I just love the occupy movement. Hope how soon WE occupy the White House.

Long haired country boy on December 23, 2011 at 8:35 PM

There a reason you bold-ed “white”?

Ortzinator on December 24, 2011 at 2:55 AM

Who gives a rat’s a$$ what those dimwits at that worthless rag think? Does anyone actually read that rag anymore?

tbear44 on December 24, 2011 at 3:01 AM

Now the local papers are describing an infestation of rats and an outbreak of disease of the lungs.

Of course Vincent Grey the Mayor of Washington, D.C. will not take any action to clean this mess out.

He and a big chunk of the City Council are being investigated for corruption.

Spots the Dog on December 24, 2011 at 6:56 AM

Same as the Nobel for Obama, absolutely destroyed the essence of the prize. Time can now be laid to rest as the the NYT.

mixplix on December 24, 2011 at 7:10 AM

It always amazes me when people who have done nothing to earn money complain about the rich who stole their money from them. You had nothing to begin with, did nothing to get anything and somehow this was taken from them by people they never met.

mechkiller_k on December 24, 2011 at 7:34 AM

Ummmmmmmmm …
It wasn’t the OWS rabble that Time chose, it was those protesters in countries where you get killed for speaking freely.
The OWS pond scum has a lot of nerve taking credit for anything.
Stare down a tank, tough guys -

Just a Thawt

~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus on December 24, 2011 at 8:23 AM

Sniveling snots,exuberant in their puffery.”Let the poisons in the mud,hatch out”-I,Claudius

SMACKRUNNER on December 24, 2011 at 8:26 AM

The bar has been set pretty high for next year’s POTY. Or pretty low, depending on how you look at it.

jfox21 on December 24, 2011 at 8:48 AM

mechkiller_k on December 24, 2011 at 7:34 AM

This has always caused me to scratch my head in wonder. If you are rich, then I am poor and it is your fault. That’s like saying you are smart so I am dumb. You are fat, so I am thin. It makes absolutely no sense. I totally agree with mechkiller.

Bobber1 on December 24, 2011 at 10:02 AM

I disagree with those who say OWSers produce nothing. Look at the hours and hours of entertainment value they have created.

Look Polish on December 24, 2011 at 10:22 AM

Why would anyone suggest Seal Team 6 for Time’s Person of the Year. It would be no honor for ST6 to be associated with a slim, irrelevant pamphlet even advertisers won’t touch. The real purpose of the sheets is for the editors and writers to pass around to friends and family and say, “look, I’m in print.”

The Occupy movement is the perfect choice. As we just saw in the clip, the occupiers’ true value is in providing a few laughs, and overtime for sanitation workers, just like Time magazine.

Mark Ybel on December 24, 2011 at 10:30 AM

For some unknown reason, this clip brings to mind the Land of the Misfit Toys.

Syzygy on December 24, 2011 at 10:35 AM

I swear to god I heard speedy gonazlez in that clip! Tell me I am imagining it!

rightside on December 24, 2011 at 11:33 AM

The real slap in the face is how dare! Media Matters mis-use a treasured Glenn Miller song* as its background music. As if these no-nothing, do-nothing, waste of brain matter “WSOccupiers” were somehow on a par with their grandparents, the ‘Greatest Generation’ that fought and died during WWII to save the world from the evils of totalitarianism that these idiots are so eagerly embracing today.

*(btw does anyone remember the title of that Glenn Miller tune MM used in their video? I should know it, but am drawing a blank.)

auzerais on December 24, 2011 at 12:13 PM

That woman is a hard core algebra fan I’m imagining. I’d like to hear more about how it enhances her every day life.

Greek Fire on December 24, 2011 at 12:50 PM

Some one asked how does seal team six feel. Many of them feel nothing because they were identified by obama and biden, effectively issuing their death warrants which were soon carried out.

dunce on December 24, 2011 at 2:16 PM

Good for them! That one guy had it right! “The natural choice!”

Yosef on December 24, 2011 at 4:06 PM

Okk-oo-ie ben bett, betty good to me! Remninds me of Eddie Murphy

121fxdl on December 24, 2011 at 8:13 PM

for auzerais – the song in question is “In the Mood” – a Glenn Miller favorite that never fails to fill the dance floor, young and old alike.

dingding on December 24, 2011 at 8:47 PM

Greatest background music to piece ever. 99% of the them probably could not tell you what era the music was from.

Also, absolute proof that the public schooling system has failed U.S.

MSGTAS on December 25, 2011 at 9:35 AM

dingding on December 24, 2011

Et -

Also, absolute proof that the public schooling system has failed U.S.

MSGTAS on December 25, 2011

Better yet, ask the “99%” how, why, and where Glenn Miller died.
(blank stare: “who?“)

~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus on December 25, 2011 at 11:07 AM

Is it just me or is that el mujer loco blanca on drugs or what?

1. “It’s democratic!” How is a photo democratic?

2. “I love that it’s Arabic.” It’s not Arabic, I thought you just said it was you? And your not Arabic; Diablo Blanca!

3. “The Arabs invented everything expletive Algebra!” That’s very dubious to say a race invented everything on the idea they thought up algebra. So we should thank the inventor of the wheel for creating the first automobile??? Or, Thomas Edison didn’t invent the light bulb if it wasn’t for Benjamin Franklin finding out that whole electricity thing?

4. “Double Issue. Meta. Meta. Meta.” Well if it’s a double issue than wouldn’t it just be Meta Meta? And your saying META in the usage of “ABOUT ABOUT ABOUT” or “DATA DATA DATA”?

5. “It’s a woman because we are the origin.” Wait! So we should thank women for everything because they incubate a fetus into a baby??? Woman are as useless in this context as chickens without a roster. Your eggs are worthless without something to impregnate it. The origin would then be the sperm and the egg. Sorry little incubator.

US DAY OF RAGE – We should really look into who this guy is if he has so many friends from Syria… SPY?

ODD VAGRANT – “They stole our money.” I doubt you have a job which means you don’t pay income tax which means it’s not your money that was taken. Since the top 1% pays 40 percent of the federal budget and the top 10% pay 55% of the federal budget we can assume that banks basically took the money of other rich people. So it’s not the rich taking from the poor it’s the rich taking from the rich.

Two Old Hombres – Uncle Obama has been good to you? Well that flies right in the face of the government having equality under the law. So some people make out (you) from the government while others lose out?

LordJack on December 25, 2011 at 1:59 PM

Hey Time … Seal team 6 you knuckleheads!!!

mel23059 on December 26, 2011 at 10:47 AM