USPS to carrier: No, you can’t dress up like Santa!

posted at 6:45 pm on December 23, 2011 by Tina Korbe

So our congressmen-and-women can’t wish us “Merry Christmas” and our postal carriers can’t don Santa suits. From Bellevue Reporter:

For more than a decade now, letter carrier Bob McLean has driven around Bellevue each holiday season, delivering a little Christmas cheer while wearing a full Santa getup for two or three days. But this year, a local grinch complained to the U.S. Postal Service, and McLean has been banned from bringing his alter ego to work this year.

“The government is shutting me down because it’s a non-postal regulation uniform,” said McLean, who has been with the postal service since 1971.

McLean began donning the red and white when a stranger at the mall told him he looked like Santa Claus. Always the crowd pleaser, McLean took to the comparison, went out and bought a suit, and then another.

Why must the government be so grinchy? Maybe it’s because Santa puts the government to shame when it comes to dispensing goodies.

Seriously, though, I can’t understand the rationale behind this ban. Does the official USPS postal uniform actually improve a carrier’s ability to do his job? Does wearing a Santa suit hurt anybody in any way? Those aren’t snarky; I’m genuinely asking. Apparently, a fellow carrier complained about McLean. Was he just grouchy he can’t wear pajamas to deliver mail or jealous that McLean is a local favorite? Either way, this seems yet another example of the way excessive regulation leaves little room for creativity and innovation.

Comments

Santa can be on the stamp, but he can’t be delivering the envelope.

Ok.

notropis on December 23, 2011 at 6:52 PM

The Post Office has bigger issues to worry about than this. No wonder they’re going broke.
*foist?*

predator on December 23, 2011 at 6:52 PM

Rules are rules. If they let this guy dress up like Santa, they have to let the next guy dress up like _____. They have a uniform for a reason — uniformity. It’s a government agency, thats just how they run things

Timin203 on December 23, 2011 at 6:53 PM

guess not :(

predator on December 23, 2011 at 6:53 PM

If I saw that guy coming onto my property in that get-up I’d be wary as hell.

Spirit Crusher on December 23, 2011 at 6:55 PM

Timin203 on December 23, 2011 at 6:53 PM

Curmudgeon.

CW on December 23, 2011 at 6:56 PM

Hey, OT, where’s the post about Holder defending F&F with the race card?

pos4thst on December 23, 2011 at 6:58 PM

If I saw that guy coming onto my property in that get-up I’d be wary as hell.

Spirit Crusher on December 23, 2011 at 6:55 PM

Yes. Scaaarrrry.

CW on December 23, 2011 at 6:58 PM

I’d feel better if this guy showed up dressed like Santa instead of an albino Taliban.

Go RBNY on December 23, 2011 at 6:58 PM

Go RBNY on December 23, 2011 at 6:58 PM

For sure.

Timin203 on December 23, 2011 at 7:00 PM

The Post Office wouldn’t want to promote the event that leads to the bulk of their business each year. Who knows what disaster might result.

WhatNot on December 23, 2011 at 7:01 PM

Must be a super slow news day today. Guess that means more movie trailer posts from Allah.

If there is a dress code, abide by it. End of story.

luckedout26 on December 23, 2011 at 7:02 PM

Hey, OT, where’s the post about Holder defending F&F with the race card?

pos4thst on December 23, 2011 at 6:58 PM

Feast on all the F&F posts you want.

predator on December 23, 2011 at 7:04 PM

Fox just announced that Perry did not qualify to get on the ballot in Virginia.

predator on December 23, 2011 at 7:05 PM

Fox just announced that Perry did not qualify to get on the ballot in Virginia.

predator on December 23, 2011 at 7:05 PM

Hmm.. So remind me whos left? Only Paul, Gingrich and Romney?

Timin203 on December 23, 2011 at 7:10 PM

Hmm.. So remind me whos left? Only Paul, Gingrich and Romney?

Timin203 on December 23, 2011 at 7:10 PM

Yep, although Paul is on the edge as well. Big snafu by Team Perry.

luckedout26 on December 23, 2011 at 7:17 PM

Oops! Thanks, Predator

pos4thst on December 23, 2011 at 7:24 PM

Next year, use UPS to send your Letters To Santa @ The North Pole!

SaysWho on December 23, 2011 at 7:32 PM

I’d be plenty teed off if Santa came and handed me a stack of bills. :)

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on December 23, 2011 at 7:33 PM

FedEx, UPS and everyone else should be able to compete in first-class mail too.

limitedgovt on December 23, 2011 at 7:36 PM

Progressive , tolerant, librals.

evergreenland on December 23, 2011 at 7:37 PM

FedEx, UPS and everyone else should be able to compete in first-class mail too.

limitedgovt on December 23, 2011 at 7:36 PM

They don’t want it. It’s a socialist throwback. It can’t happen while the USPS exists. Big Gov will subsidize USPS creating unfair practices for FedEx and UPS.

My UPS drivers and my FedEx (regular driver) get bonuses. They try to refuse but we force them into their hands and pockets. It usually works OK if one of the office-gals does it.

If one of these drivers dropped my shipment because of Santa’s beard and boots, he would get NOTHING. My present is him showing up on time and not dropping anything EVER!

Capitalist Hog on December 23, 2011 at 7:49 PM

Screw ‘em. My postal carrier came around decked out in hat and gloves and told me Merry Christmas today. So take that you USPS PC a**holes. (He’s really cute without the Santa stuff too.)

mimi1220 on December 23, 2011 at 7:58 PM

Timin203 on December 23, 2011 at 6:53 PM

This. I realize people don’t think much of snail mail these days but it was once an incredibly important service that took priority over a lot of things. I remember being told years ago in driver’s ed that if an ambulance, a police car, a fire truck, and a mail truck all arrive at a 4-way stop at the exact same time, the vehicle that has the right-of-way is the mail truck. Apparently this dates back to at least WWII.

The USPS has uniforms for a reason. If anybody in a santa suit can pass as a mail carrier, it creates security problems. It’s got nothing to do with political correctness or the “war on Christmas” or what-have-you. It’s just the rules.

Caiwyn on December 23, 2011 at 8:25 PM

Timin203 on December 23, 2011 at 6:53 PM

Curmudgeon.

CW on December 23, 2011 at 6:56 PM

I’ll bet he gets a bag of coal for Christmas. Humbug!

Long haired country boy on December 23, 2011 at 8:31 PM

I’m a retired letter carrier, so I know the official position of the big cheeses in DC: Anyone can go out & get a Santa suit & pretend to be a mail carrier, but it’s (supposedly) harder to get a USPS uniform. To keep the public at ease when a stranger comes into your business or to your doorstep (especially in an age of terrorism), they want a uniform on that stranger. With an ID badge.

itsnotaboutme on December 23, 2011 at 8:38 PM

It’s these type of nauseating button pushing attempts that make so-cons look so petty and vapid.

freshface on December 23, 2011 at 8:46 PM

I’m a retired letter carrier

itsnotaboutme on December 23, 2011 at 8:38
PM

Letter Carrier. Have heard mail man called that in years. Seems like old times.

Long haired country boy on December 23, 2011 at 8:46 PM

He is free to wear anything he wants during his off time but, when he is at work, he must wear his UNIFORM like the rest.

Nothing Grinchy here.

esnap on December 23, 2011 at 9:06 PM

Update:

Ban overturned. Santa can deliver the mail.

Russ in OR on December 23, 2011 at 9:07 PM

If I saw that guy coming onto my property in that get-up I’d be wary as hell.

Spirit Crusher on December 23, 2011 at 6:55 PM

If my postal carrier wears her uniform — I’m wary as hell. There’s a reason for those thick plexiglas partitions separating the postal workers from the customers, and it isn’t to protect the workers from the customers….

unclesmrgol on December 23, 2011 at 9:13 PM

Not to mention some much-needed whimsy.

whatcat on December 23, 2011 at 9:18 PM

Timin203 on December 23, 2011 at 6:53 PM

That’s right, when a Muslim carrier asks for permission to dress us as a religious character straight out of the Taliban, I want the answer to be NO CHANCE. Why people worry about this kind of thing I don’t understand.

bayam on December 23, 2011 at 9:33 PM

Timin203 on December 23, 2011 at 6:53 PM

bayam on December 23, 2011 at 9:33 PM

Now, Now, calm down.

First of all, isn’t a Santa Clause Suit in and of itself a uniform?

And bayam, you need to lighten up. Watch this exciting Stooge Episode, where they are based in the Middle East and dress as Santas to infiltrate the enemy compound:

Del Dolemonte on December 23, 2011 at 9:47 PM

Long haired country boy on December 23, 2011 at 8:46 PM

Letter carrier is the official title of the craft.

itsnotaboutme on December 23, 2011 at 10:25 PM

Say, is that Jimmy Carter dressed up like Santa?

justltl on December 23, 2011 at 10:53 PM

A fellow carrier complained about a guy who has brought a little joy to some folks, for two or three days a year, for the last ten years?
I say… gut the Grinch that complained!

KOOLAID2 on December 23, 2011 at 11:03 PM

He should dress up as Buddy the Elf just to see if the Scrooge coworker squeals on him.

Roymunson on December 24, 2011 at 2:03 AM

Timin203 on December 23, 2011 at 6:53 PM

Have you seen the uniform shorts?

Cindy Munford on December 24, 2011 at 8:44 AM

You missed this line in the article:

“USPS spokesman Ernie Swanson said the complaint came from a fellow carrier. Decked out in the full on Santa suit, McLean was not recognizable as a USPS employee.”

So it was not anyone on his route that complained, but a fellow employee.

JeffinSac on December 24, 2011 at 9:34 AM

itsnotaboutme on December 23, 2011 at 8:38 PM

My “letter carrier / junk mail delivery facilitator” never leaves their truck and delivers my mail to a box by the curb. If a terrorist wants to express themselves by blowing up my mailbox then I’ve got news for them, the local delinquents beat them to it a long time ago. People are way to wound up today. Merry Christmas!

skeneogden on December 24, 2011 at 11:07 AM

In this PC society, if one person cries “offense” everyone else has to suffer. Look at the success of the atheists asserting their rights, as they call it. This is Cain and Abel all over again. It’s not a mature rights issue at all!

PattyJ on December 24, 2011 at 12:14 PM