Politico: Ron Paul really has to explain these six statements

posted at 11:40 am on December 23, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

No, this isn’t another post about the newsletters, which Politico to their credit has covered and does mention in this piece.  Instead, Ginger Gibson identifies six political statements from Paul over the years that she believes Paul will need to explain to maintain his credibility in this race:

The storyline dogging Ron Paul as his numbers continue to rise in Iowa — the racist content in newsletters published in the 1990s under his name — poses a significant impediment to his campaign’s momentum.

But that’s not his only problem.

Even as he disavows the newsletters — the Texas congressman asserts he didn’t write them and never even read them — Paul’s got a collection of other statements that he’ll likely need to explain in greater detail if he expects to capture the Republican Party nomination.

I’ll bullet-point the statements Gibson identifies:

• The “disaster” of Ronald Reagan’s conservative agenda
  • Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid are unconstitutional
  • American drug laws are designed to fund rogue governments, CIA programs
  • U.S. foreign policy “significantly contributed” to 9/11 attacks
  • Returning white supremacist donation is “pandering”
  • The Civil Rights Act “violated the Constitution”

Before I address the statements themselves, I’ll question the premise of the article itself.  When has Ron Paul ever had to give a rational explanation to anything he’s done in the past to maintain his base of support?  Granted, Paul’s support has temporarily expanded outside of that base in Iowa and New Hampshire, and if he wants to maintain that momentum, these statements would eventually have to get reconciled.  I doubt, however, that Paul or his team see the need to “explain” these statements, and not just because they might still believe all of this.  In politics, “explaining” is “losing.”

There are only really two statements here that haven’t been baked into the Paul cake and could hurt him.  When running for President on the Libertarian ticket in 1987, Paul credited Reagan for “pointing out the fallacies of the Democratic liberal agenda in 1980, but then castigated him for doing “a good job on following up to show the disaster of the conservative agenda as well.”  As Gibson points out, Republicans still consider the Age of Ronaldus Maximus as a golden era for conservatism, and this attack won’t wear well with the base.  Paul made that statement almost a quarter-century ago, though, and he can certainly say that in retrospect, Reagan accomplished much while still leaving much unaccomplished.

The other is the donation from the Florida white supremacist and Paul’s refusal to return it, saying, “I think it is pandering. I think it is playing the political correctness.”  Without the newsletters, this wouldn’t be a huge issue, but with the newsletters it looks as though the real pandering involving Paul was pandering to the fringe-bigot crowd.  That didn’t come from 24 years ago, but from his presidential run four years ago.  It only would have cost Paul $500 to resolve this issue at the time, but if the media decides to pick it up, it could reinforce the newsletter story and provide a clear narrative of Paul as a fringe-element kook.

The other statements are, for better or worse, standard Paul fare.  The argument that Social Security and Medicare are “unconstitutional” has been voiced by other Republican presidential candidates besides Paul.  Paul has long criticized the Civil Rights Act as a constitutional overreach of the federal government, a position with which his more-politically-adept son flirted in his Senate campaign before hitting reverse and affirming it as a positive development.  The other positions — that the US foreign policy “significantly contributed to the [9/11] attacks” and that the drug war is intended to fund “some terrorist government someplace” or to fund CIA programs are part of Paul’s rather paranoid view of the world, which is his tie to the Alex Jones base and why he makes so many appearances on Prison Planet.  In fact, as this poorly-produced web ad (the voice-over is hysterical and the recording is warbly) from the Paul campaign from a couple of weeks ago reminds us, Paul didn’t win his legion of devotees by taking a rational, thinking approach to American security:

That doesn’t sound as if Team Paul thinks they have anything to explain, even if they really, really do.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5 6

Timin203, we don’t want perfect. RP is not even acceptable tho.

Here is the video Manning sent to Wikileaks-who edited out the parts that proved them to be liars. Manning claimed it was proof of a coverup of murder. Manning is the person RP called a hero.

Hard Right on December 23, 2011 at 5:33 PM

RP endorsed Cynthia McKinney and Ralph Nader. Both are America hating, socialism loving, anti-semites. RP refused to endorse McCain (understandable), but he endorses two people who are against everything he supposedly believes in?

Hard Right on December 23, 2011 at 5:34 PM

Wow! The newbies are stirring things up. Much needed, I think.

Bottom line though, is that Ron Paul is an unelectable crackpot who, if he looked like he might get near the levers of power, would have an unfortunate accident.

SurferDoc on December 23, 2011 at 5:35 PM

Uh huh….I take it your not Black, Jewish, or homosexual…so no harm no foul….right?

I’ve heard worse – And this still friggin’ bothers me. A lot.

Tim_CA on December 23, 2011 at 5:28 PM

I mean, I don’t know. from what I’ve read (and I haven’t read everything), he seems more focues on conspiracy theories (some involving a race war) then on race. I don’t think the guy dislikes blacks, or think they are an inferior race. Citing a study that said 85% of blacks were arrested in DC, then calling them criminals is kind of inconsistant with his “we live in a police state, everyone gets arrested now” viewpoint. Saying blacks are more likely to commit crimes than whites comes from prison populations, in which blacks represent more than would be proportionate compared to the general population. You can argue why there are so many more blacks in prison then the numbers would suggest should be there (I dont have an answer), but I mean… I dont know, I didn’t see anything that said, “whites are the superior race, etc” you know… racist stuff.
I saw plenty of insensitive and un-PC stuff which calls into question his judgment, but I didn’t say anything that made me think, “man this guy hates black people”

Timin203 on December 23, 2011 at 5:36 PM

Are you actually trying to defend Paul’s racist filth?

ZGMF_Freedom on December 23, 2011 at 5:29 PM

No, I’m just saying you are presumptuous to say somebody else’s representative should resign.

cartooner on December 23, 2011 at 5:37 PM

Ron Paul is finished. His signature actually appears on the letter.

ZGMF_Freedom on December 23, 2011 at 5:37 PM

Hard Right on December 23, 2011 at 5:33 PM

Yeah, well, Manning is a pathetic little punk who managed to bypass the high tech security of the greatest country in the world with a lady gaga cd. Hardly a hero. But on the flip side, we as citizens did get a lot of information from wikileaks, and the fall out doesn’t seem to have been as bad as predicted.

But, yeah, RP is wrong on this one. While transparency is good, leaking classified information in this manner is definitely not the way to get transparency, and is something we should definitely discourage.

Timin203 on December 23, 2011 at 5:40 PM

Beer Time! Merry Christmas y’all!

cartooner on December 23, 2011 at 5:41 PM

cartooner on December 23, 2011 at 5:37 PM

And I’m just curious why you choose to focus on my call for his resignation instead of the reason why Paul needs to resign. What’s more offensive to you? My call for his resignation or Ron Paul’s call for a coming race war against blacks and Jews?

ZGMF_Freedom on December 23, 2011 at 5:42 PM

Timin203, what about the other itmes I posted about?

Hard Right on December 23, 2011 at 5:43 PM

Hard Right on December 23, 2011 at 5:34 PM

His was a “protest” endorsement. If he had endorsed obama over mccain, maybe I’d share in your rage. But he was endorsing the protest candidate over McCain (who, really, had very little in common with Paul/libertarianism/conservatism). Should he have gotten behind McCain like everyone else? Eh, maybe. I don’t think it made a difference. No matter who RP endorsed, there was no way McCain was going to invigorate the conservatives and libertarians and get out the vote for him.

Timin203 on December 23, 2011 at 5:43 PM

Timin203, what about the other itmes I posted about?

Hard Right on December 23, 2011 at 5:43 PM

Still reading the 9/11 truther thing. Yeah, I mean he seems of the “I’m just asking questions type” which is pretty consistant with his general view of distrusting the government. I don’t see him endorsing the Bush/Cheney were the 20th hijacker theory here, but he might believe that. Either way, I’m not trying to defend ron paul any more than I can defend Perry or Gingrich or Romney. Paul’s got baggage and problems and some conspiratorial ideas, what can I say?
I still love his view on the role of the federal government, sound money, etc. I’ll reiterate that it is highly unlikely I will vote for him, but I wish his ideas on domestic policy would be taken more seriously, and hopefully help pull the squishy middle of the republican party to the right.

Timin203 on December 23, 2011 at 5:48 PM

Timin203 on December 23, 2011 at 5:36 PM

I don’t even know where to start with this my insensitive, wasp buddy……but maybe we should post quotes from the newsletter……you’ve either got some serious reading comprehension issues, or you haven’t seen the quotes in qustion – problem is….to give them fair “context” takes quite a bit of space (and they’re disgusting).

Why don’t you give ‘em a read (I know you can use google) and come on back and tell me what you think.

Don’t worry…..I won’t get any black, jew or homo on you.

Tim_CA on December 23, 2011 at 5:50 PM

Don’t worry…..I won’t get any black, jew or homo on you.

Tim_CA on December 23, 2011 at 5:50 PM

No kidding. If we are going to call out racism on the left (Affirmative Action quotas) we need to call out racism on the right (Ron Paul’s garbage).

ZGMF_Freedom on December 23, 2011 at 5:53 PM

Ron Paul is finished. His signature actually appears on the letter.

ZGMF_Freedom on December 23, 2011 at 5:37 PM

I’ve learned here that they never, ever, follow the link and read the text, look at the pictures, or watch the video. Its like they dont want to let any glimmer of doubt enter their little Ron Paul mind construct. “If I don’t see it, it never happened.”

Logboy on December 23, 2011 at 5:53 PM

Jim Crow laws could have been eliminated by recognizing that they selectively outlawed the rights of some to the pursuit of happiness.

That’s kind of silly. No one has a right to my property, i.e., a seat at my counter or barber chair or whatever. It’s a privilege to do business with me, not a right.

Akzed on December 23, 2011 at 2:59 PM

It’s my understanding that Jim Crow laws only affected public institutions. Laws requiring minorities to forfeit state funded privileges afforded to the majority (such as seats on public transportation, specific public drinking fountains, specific public pools) are an encroachment on their right to the pursuit of happiness relative to other groups of citizens. They are unconstitutional.

If Jim Crow laws include those relating on individuals’ rights to discriminate on who they socialize or contract with, I stand corrected. That is not a proper role of government to regulate.

elfman on December 23, 2011 at 5:57 PM

Now, had the media vetted our current president appropriately, he probably would never had been elected!

Thank you for publishing this stuff. Voters need to know!!

Palin 2012!!!

Swede With Attitude on December 23, 2011 at 5:57 PM

Are these the quotes that are supposed to prove that Paul is racist? Things like “Order was only restored in L.A. when it came time for the blacks to pick up their welfare checks three days after rioting began. … What if the checks had never arrived? No doubt the blacks would have fully privatized the welfare state through continued looting. But they were paid off and the violence subsided.”?”

Because I’m just not getting that worked up about it. Sorry. I mean, yeah, it’s offensive & stereotypical, but so is “God Damn America” “on 9/11, americans chickens came home to roost” etc.

Do you really live in a world where this offends you to no end? The puerto rican guys I work with say worse things about the black guys I work with daily. I don’t know, maybe I’m so used to hearing “racist” to describe anyone to the right of Bill Clinton that it no longer affects me. And it’s okay to call new york “hymie town” but not “Welfaria?”. Fine, whatever. As a former congressman, he should have had more class and been less vulgar, sure, but I don’t think some newsletters written 20+ years ago (again, from what I’ve seen) are indicitave of whether or not ron paul is racist.

Timin203 on December 23, 2011 at 5:57 PM

Don’t worry…..I won’t get any black, jew or homo on you.

Tim_CA on December 23, 2011 at 5:50 PM

Oh, and I’m not a WASP. I’m Irish Catholic. (And don’t get RP started on those papists…:-))

Timin203 on December 23, 2011 at 6:00 PM

Timin203 on December 23, 2011 at 5:57 PM

You can’t be for real. HaHa….very funny troll…….you got us!!

I’m calling shenanigans!!

Tim_CA on December 23, 2011 at 6:04 PM

So Timin203, do you guys take shifts or something? Where is the mothership URL that you all get your programming?

V7_Sport on December 23, 2011 at 6:09 PM

V7_Sport on December 23, 2011 at 6:09 PM

He can’t be for real.

Tim_CA on December 23, 2011 at 6:10 PM

He can’t be for real.

Tim_CA on December 23, 2011 at 6:10 PM

It’s been my observation that the Ron Paul cultists have a rather elastic interpretation of reality.

V7_Sport on December 23, 2011 at 6:13 PM

Did any Hot Gas Cassandra not foresee the big Trojan Blimp slipping through the registration gates? ;) Woe to Hot Gas! Tis a bellyful of Lunatardians she has.

You can praise Pauls common sense proposals all day but you can’t hide his near Pakistani Paranoia and general ignorance of the wide world. That anyone follow such a woefully ignorant fellow casts the same goofy stink on them that Paul exudes.

BL@KBIRD on December 23, 2011 at 6:14 PM

Timin203, I don’t believe it was a protest vote at all. I feel he endorsed them due to their views on America and Israel.
I also think he feels their is something to the Truther view, but knows better than to come right out and say it.

Hard Right on December 23, 2011 at 6:16 PM

I would also argue that a “true” patriot doesn’t go on Iranian TV to bash America.

Hard Right on December 23, 2011 at 6:18 PM

No, I’m for real. My point is that we allow the liberals to frame everything. Pauls a racist for these statements but the black panthers and reverend wright and van jones etc etc… well, thats okay to say. I’m sick of it. It’s self-censorship and it’s stupid.

Timin203 on December 23, 2011 at 6:29 PM

Hard Right on December 23, 2011 at 6:16 PM

You could be right, but only Paul knows the real answer… I’m giving him the benefit of the doubt, maybe im wrong to

Timin203 on December 23, 2011 at 6:30 PM

The stars are aligning for Romney! Get ready for more Bush politics!

rickv404 on December 23, 2011 at 6:31 PM

Hard Right on December 23, 2011 at 6:18 PM

Especially when a number of American Troops have been wounded or killed by Iranian munitions and personnel in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Logboy on December 23, 2011 at 6:32 PM

Hard Right on December 23, 2011 at 6:18 PM

Yep, Iranian totalitarian theocrats, Stormfront, 9/11 Twoofer Filth, American Nazis and neo-Confederate slavery apologists, Ron Paul is known by his friends.

ebrown2 on December 23, 2011 at 6:33 PM

Paul and the rest of those stupid #$@*&%$# Republicans are destroying themselves and dragging their constituents down with them. What does it take to knock these dolts out of their mindless stupors?

rplat on December 23, 2011 at 6:36 PM

Timin203 on December 23, 2011 at 6:29 PM

OK….help me here……I’m not as smart as you……Paul is a racist…..but not because of his racist newsletter……but rather…..because Liberal Racists are racist?

Um….ok…..whatever gets you there twenty-something.

Glad the future is in your hands!

Tim_CA on December 23, 2011 at 6:39 PM

Um….ok…..whatever gets you there twenty-something.

Glad the future is in your hands!

Tim_CA on December 23, 2011 at 6:39 PM

Timin203 on December 23, 2011 at 6:47 PM

We’ve let the liberals redefine racism from a hatred/dislike of another race to any mention of another race, but only if you’re white.
Like Senator Byrd, D from WV, who was a recruiter for KKK, was almost certainly a racist. In his later years, he let slip some un PC phrases, but no one every felt it necessary to call him out or bring up his past. But Paul compares the LA looting to welfare, and THATS racist.

But its okay, because we should definitely let the left define the terms. A republican who mentions race is about on par with a Nazi. A democrat who says/does very anti-black things is someone we should look up to as an elder statesman.

Cool.

Timin203 on December 23, 2011 at 6:50 PM

I’m saying that you and everyone else are denouncing Paul for being a racist based on these newsletters, which are very un PC and insensitive. But I don’t remember democrats denouncing Obamas pastor, or any other time a racist black guy pops up (like the new black panthers thing.) Obviously you missed the reference, but back in ’84 (ish) when Jesse Jackson was running for president, he called new york hymie town (which is also racially insensitive, to be sure) which was OK by the media. But it’s hypocritical for those same people to get offended at Ron Paul calling NYC Wellfaria, which doesn’t at all have a racial context to it.Timin203 on December 23, 2011 at 6:47 PM

See all that up there in bold….that right there is 100% irrelevent to the issue.

(It’s what you might call a straw-man argument as it isn’t really either/or and one has nothing to do with the other).

Bottom Line you have right though….Paul is a racist.

(It’s like arguing with a bowl of grapes.)

Tim_CA on December 23, 2011 at 6:56 PM

Bottom Line you have right though….Paul is a racist.

(It’s like arguing with a bowl of grapes.)

Tim_CA on December 23, 2011 at 6:56 PM

Quickly though, for my benefit, can you define racist? As in the way you’re using it right now. Maybe I’m misunderstanding you’re point.

Timin203 on December 23, 2011 at 6:58 PM

Timin203 on December 23, 2011 at 6:58 PM

rac·ism
   [rey-siz-uhm]

noun
a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one’s own race is superior and has the right to rule others.

a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.

hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.

Learn to use a dictionary.

Tim_CA on December 23, 2011 at 7:02 PM

ebrown2 on December 23, 2011 at 6:33 PM

Please keep doing that. You are just going to solidify his new support. Keep telling all the families, veterans, active duty, retirees, etc. that they are what you call them. This has always been a bottom up grassroots movement. It started with meetup groups four years ago and has become an organized and innovative movement. Keep underestimating them. Keep using so much hyperbole in the attacks. I am amazed with how well the organization has improved. This is going to get really interesting.

LevStrauss on December 23, 2011 at 7:02 PM

LevStrauss on December 23, 2011 at 7:02 PM

Really?

Huh.

I’m smack dab in the middle of that demo, and no-one I know is interested in that old Geezer Appeaser(tm).

Tim_CA on December 23, 2011 at 7:07 PM

Learn to use a dictionary.

Tim_CA on December 23, 2011 at 7:02 PM

Thank you. If you see Ron Paul advocating that the white race is superior to others, or showing hatred towards others, or advocating a government that discriminates against others let me know. in the meantime, i’ll cede that he has a lot of baggage, including using insensitive language to describe minorities.

Timin203 on December 23, 2011 at 7:07 PM

Timin203 on December 23, 2011 at 7:07 PM

You win outed troll….You’re right, I’m wrong…..enough already!

We stretch you anymore you’re gonna snap!

Shenanaigans!!

Tim_CA on December 23, 2011 at 7:10 PM

You win outed troll….You’re right, I’m wrong…..enough already!

We stretch you anymore you’re gonna snap!

Shenanaigans!!

Tim_CA on December 23, 2011 at 7:10 PM

K, well, I’m certainly done beating that dead horse as well. Think what you want about my status as a troll or not, hopefully you’ll eventually realizer that I’m not but either way, that’s alright. I think this threat is pretty much dead anyways, so im moving on for now

Timin203 on December 23, 2011 at 7:12 PM

LevStrauss on December 23, 2011 at 7:02 PM

The only way you’re building a new base is by denying the existence or knowledge of his own racist newsletters, past ties to racist and antisemitic groups, his own truther statements, and the fact he pals around with conspiracy freaks like Alex Jones. You might have yourself fooled, but no one else buying into it.

By the way, I’m a Veteran.

Logboy on December 23, 2011 at 7:12 PM

THE RACISM CHARGES ARE CRAP. RON PAUL DELIVERED THOUSANDS OF BABIES FOR FREE, WITHOUT DISCRIMINATION. LET ME REPEAT THAT. RON PAUL NEVER TOOK 1 PENNY OF MEDICAID, MEDICARE OR ANY MONEY FOR DOCTORS. INSTEAD, IF PATIENTS CAME TO HIM THAT COULD NOT AFFORD TO PAY HE TREATED THEM FOR FREE. that is number 1. number 2 he disavowed the contents of those isolated (2% see the links below) newsletters many times. ron paul’s relationship with blacks is here…. http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread788510/pg1
and here

regarding the 6 points above, they are taken so out of context as to be ridiculous.

for God sakes read, listen to, or watch his words directly, not thru the filter of another. anyone that still talks of democrats and republicans, that does not believe we have 1 two-headed political party, has too much to eat or too much time on his hands.

NavoneNew on December 23, 2011 at 7:13 PM

Timin203 on December 23, 2011 at 7:12 PM

Something tells me we’ll see you on the next Paul thread……..PLEASE huddle up with your pals and come up with something new…..we’ve had some great trolls and you sir have some serious potential!

Peace.

Tim_CA on December 23, 2011 at 7:21 PM

That ad is offensive and wrong on so many levels.

Anyone who subscribes to that worldview should get their heads out of their asses and learn some history.

jjraines on December 23, 2011 at 7:27 PM

Timin203 on December 23, 2011 at 6:29 PM

The other guys do it too is not a defence. If someone is a racist YOU DO NOT WANT THEM ON YOUR SIDE even if the other side is full of racist. Its not that hard to understand is it?

Sultanofsham on December 23, 2011 at 7:38 PM

Ron Paul – Spidergoat 2012!

profitsbeard on December 23, 2011 at 8:07 PM

John and Ken on KFI right now…..playing RP audio shilling the newsletter.

Quotes are hilarious.

Also reading Paul’s conspiricy theories involving government tracking of embeded fibres in the money in your wallet.

Tim_CA on December 23, 2011 at 8:18 PM

By the way, I’m a Veteran.

Logboy on December 23, 2011 at 7:12 PM

Add that to him saying that Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid are unconstitutional, and you can count on his votes from seniors to be close to zero.

Norky on December 23, 2011 at 8:49 PM

Bravo NavoneNew, they forget or wont admit to the facts because it doesnt fit. also these neocons that talk about rp policy being dangerous and naive -tell me what did the bush policy accomplish? now that all these countries becoming Islamic states? have they stopped Iran- north korea ? what will the war mongers do when Pakistan and Turkey become Islamic with in 5 years, attack them? Even if rp’s foreign policy was bad, so what. no one will be invading us in the next 4 years- rp is all for defense– but only RP domestic policy will be enough to turn this country around– all the neocons say love rp domestic but…. if we are in such dire economic trouble that everyone predicts and if our deficits are so deep we will never get out– then domestic policy is the only thing that matters! Not to mention the return to the constitution and stopping the ever increasing slide into socialism.Im a big border guy and anti islamic- believe we need a strong cia.(no ron paul does not want to get rid of it completely) but only rp proposes the cuts we need. besides history shows that rp as president would only accomplish half or less what he wants foreign and domestic.. Look at the numbers and tell me we need beat our chest and accomplish nothing.

markcon on December 23, 2011 at 9:37 PM

Norky on December 23, 2011 at 8:49 PM

every conservative knows this is true-but your fear mongering- and there is plenty of fixes-faze outs out there- you a lib?

markcon on December 23, 2011 at 9:42 PM

“Given the inefficiencies of what D.C. laughingly calls the ‘criminal justice system,’ I think we can safely assume that 95 percent of the black males in that city are semi-criminal or entirely criminal.”

Ron Paul says the darnedest things.

Norky on December 23, 2011 at 9:45 PM

markcon on December 23, 2011 at 9:37 PM

There is that slur again, Neocon. Don’t you mean Joooooooooooo lover?

Logboy on December 23, 2011 at 9:48 PM

WEEE are the PROBlem. Hand me that nuclear football.

S. D. on December 23, 2011 at 10:05 PM

learn your terms–big gov -pro military complex that cares nothing for your liberty except power = neocon

I used to fall for the oh we are the problem bs anytime disagreed with policy–till i started using my own brain- sure us meddle in foreign countries is part of the problem and i agree they would atk anyways- but they would atk anyone cuz its a religion of hate- we focus there stupidity and we interfered with them killing each other- we give themmoney for oil instead of drilling ourselves and thats the fault of big gov- everything leads back to big gov period

markcon on December 23, 2011 at 10:16 PM

markcon on December 23, 2011 at 10:16 PM

First, try spell check. Second, if Neocon meant that then why the addendum “war monger?” It has been well established by the other bots here than anyone who supports Israel is a war mongering Neocon.

“till i started using my own brain” – that’s rich coming from a Paulbot reciting the Paul talking points who could probably explain away Paul’s racist newsletters without skipping a beat.

Logboy on December 23, 2011 at 10:25 PM

tight a– lib 4 sure when first thing spell check spell check– I support Israel- I also support them to be a sovereign state not a satellite of usa. they developed tech and are a good business partner and it is good to be an economic ally to them. Why should we be giving them money? why should we force them to give away land?I would tell them take Gaza back and clear the west bank and quit pandering to the Muslims and letting them control the mount with a fake stone.they can take care of themselves- but arent they half socialist over there-
“anyone who supports Israel is a war mongering Neocon.” smacks of palistine (Jordanian refugee) loving freak unless your using israel as an excuse for interventionist policies.

talking points? you mean facts? do you mean sticking to principles? I read about the letters- so what? non pc letter that is at most a bigoted narrow statement not racist. but unlike you I know his history and who he has helped and the black leaders who defend him and the polls showing the black vote would go to him by 25%.

better atk would be border issues and legalization of drugs.

markcon on December 23, 2011 at 10:58 PM

“Among Republicans and conservatives, there simply aren’t enough people who care whether he’s a racist or not.”

Frankly, I haven’t taken Paul seriously from the beginning, but let’s get a grip on this. This guy has been running for President so long (only Harold Stassen and Pat Paulsen ran more) and only now our esteemed media have bothered to look at this guys record. It’s better than what they did with Obama, but .. please.

J_Crater on December 23, 2011 at 11:14 PM

oh please!! you sound like Hannity. been out for a long time

markcon on December 23, 2011 at 11:21 PM

ight a– lib 4 sure when first thing spell check spell check

Try educated conservative (I know, I’m not a truuuuuuuuue conservative like you).

markcon on December 23, 2011 at 10:58 PM

Thank you for proving my point.

Logboy on December 23, 2011 at 11:21 PM

Kids,

Research really isn’t that difficult now that we have the internet.

Act in the capacity of a juror who listens to both the prosecution and the defense…and not just to Ed.

Ron Paul a racist?

Bwaaa Haaa Haaaa…lol

Give me a break, Ed. I know you don’t like Paul, but Geez.

They are just trying to destroy a good man who is a threat
to them. When even the head of the NAACP in Paul’s
district defends him, you know something ain’t right with Ed’s argument.

RonPaulMyths.com is a great resource. It includes a
section on racism.

Below is a great breakdown of how ridiculous the whole
matter is complete with many links:

Here is the video of the head of the NAACP in Ron’s Texas
district defending him:

This is a really good video:

bmowell on December 23, 2011 at 11:28 PM

Research really isn’t that difficult now that we have the internet.

Ron Paul a racist?

Bwaaa Haaa Haaaa…lol

Give me a break, Ed. I know you don’t like Paul, but Geez.

They are just trying to destroy a good man who is a threat
to them. When even the head of the NAACP in Paul’s
district defends him, you know something ain’t right with Ed’s argument.

RonPaulMyths.com is a great resource. It includes a
section on racism.

Below is a great breakdown of how ridiculous the whole
matter is complete with many links:

Here is the video of the head of the NAACP in Ron’s Texas
district defending him:

bmowell on December 23, 2011 at 11:31 PM

Hey logboy neocon does not mean jew lover- get your head out– My favorite site is http://www.debbieschlussel.com. I disagree with her that RP is antisemitic. but do I care one way or the other? no. I care about this country only. we are all americans.

markcon on December 23, 2011 at 11:31 PM

How are you, logboy?

bmowell on December 23, 2011 at 11:33 PM

what point is that? did I say RP wrote them? did I differentiate between bigoted and racist? did you? no

markcon on December 23, 2011 at 11:35 PM

Calm down, guys. :-)

Once we get back to the realization that what really matters is adherence to the constitution rather than to our political parties… we’ll be okay.

Ron Paul 2012

bmowell on December 23, 2011 at 11:41 PM

Ron Paul says the darnedest things.

Norky on December 23, 2011 at 9:45 PM

So you believe he feels this way?

Might want to check into that. ;-)

bmowell on December 23, 2011 at 11:44 PM

It’s all I can do most of the time not to quote myself!

bmowell on December 23, 2011 at 11:45 PM

bmowell on December 23, 2011 at 11:31 PM

Seriously? In order to prove that Ron Paul isn’t racist you link to Ron Paul websites? Are you kidding me? Is that some kind of joke? Or are you really that incompetent and incapable of backing up your claim without bias?

Ever seen these?

50 scans of Ron Pauls racist newsletters.

Since I know the Ron Paul disciples will not bother to follow the link and risk invalidating their personal truth that Ron Paul didnt write them, or that they are relevant, I am posting the header here for everyone to read.

As I said in my rundown on the Paul platform over at Vice, reasonable fans of Dr. Paul now must accept that there’s no way Paul could have been ignorant of the content [of] 8-12 page newsletters published under his name for over ten years. Paul supporters face three losing propositions:

• He lacks the competency to control content published under his own name for over a decade, and is thus unfit to lead a country.
• He doesn’t believe these things but considers them a useful political tool to motivate racist whites, which makes him fit to be a GOP candidate, but too obvious about it to win.
• He’s actually a racist, which makes him unfit to be a human being.

It’s fine to have convictions about things he believes in. But when you voluntarily whitewash his record or choose to ignore it and champion him anyway, you are complicit in supporting the idea that racism and homophobia are morally inconsequential to the process of running for President of the United States.

Logboy on December 24, 2011 at 3:29 AM

It’s all I can do most of the time not to quote myself!

bmowell on December 23, 2011 at 11:45 PM

Oh yeah? Quote these:

In the reports he describes Martin Luther King as a paedophile, says most black men are criminals and speculates that Israel was behind a terrorist attack on the United States.

The wild claims were made in a series of newsletters that the Texan Congressman began producing in the late 1980s, where he offered paid subscribers advice on how to survive “the coming race war” and how to protect themselves from tax collectors armed with machine guns.

Mr Paul said that he did not write the letters himself, did not read them and “disavowed” their message but is under growing pressure to explain how he could be unaware of dozens of inflammatory messages which were produced over more than a decade.

In one undated letter that carries Mr Paul’s signature, he writes: “I’ve been told not to talk, but these stooges don’t scare me. Threats or no threats, I’ve laid bare the coming race war in our big cities. The federal-homosexual cover-up on Aids (my training as a physician helps me see through this one.) The Bohemian Grove – perverted, pagan playground of the powerful.”

Another from December 1990 describes how King “was not only a world-class adulterer, he also seduced underage girls and boys”, while one written in the aftermath of the 1992 Los Angeles riots said order was only restored in the city “when it came time for blacks to pick up their welfare cheques”.

I post this knowing it will never make a dent in your infatuation with Ron Paul. I could post a video narrated by Ron Paul, filmed by Ron Paul, hand signed by Ron Paul, and distributed by Ron Paul, of him giving a speech at a Klan Rally with a burning cross in the background and you would easily summon the will to make excuses for it. “Thats old news, thats not him, he didnt know who was filming it. That was debunked YEARS ago. You’re really getting desperate here.”

Continual denial in the face of overwhelming facts and evidence exposes one as delusional and incapable of any semblance of rational, coherent thought. You can deny, deny, deny all you want. His past isnt going away, nor are the scans of his newsletters going to stop making the rounds on the internet, nor are people going to stop talking about and criticizing them for the blatant racism and antisemitism that they are.

Logboy on December 24, 2011 at 3:54 AM

Ron Paulnuts are going to use the Romney/Babeu kerfuffle to try and deflect from Paul’s ugly downfall.

Capitalist Hog on December 24, 2011 at 4:42 AM

But Romney is a panderer, not a bigot. Romney is a politician willing to do what he needed to do to get elected in liberal Mass. Ron Paul enjoys keeping company with anti-Semites and worse.

Capitalist Hog on December 24, 2011 at 4:43 AM

Ron Paul enjoys keeping company with anti-Semites and worse.

Capitalist Hog on December 24, 2011 at 4:43 AM

Anti-Semites like Bruce Fein and Murray Rothbard?

JohnGalt23 on December 24, 2011 at 5:08 AM

Sorry, kiddies, your hero is a jerk. His “race war” talk is only explainable by a fanboy. The man is a physician and claimed AIDS could be transmitted via saliva. His biggest source of contributions to congressional campaigns, according to Ed Crane of Cato Institute who says Paul volunteered the information, is the mailing list from The Spotlight, a virulent Holocaust-denier, antisemitic, Hitler apologist, conspiracy nut newsletter. He won’t return donations from white supremacists.

Paul LIES about his spending stance all the time. Since his return to Congress he has consistently been among the top three House Republican pork spenders and earmarkers. He gets his spending put in quietly in committee or in conference. Then, when the final compromise bills are sure to pass with big margins, he votes against and claims to be against the spending. He knows you, his loyal supporters, are too stupid or too stoned to figure it out.

He never denied authorship of the newsletter in the ’90s, he only claimed the passages were being taken out of context and the whole article had to be read. He referred people on issues questions to “read the newsletter I write” and is on video doing it. But now he says he didn’t write them, and didn’t read them, even though they were the source of millions of dollars in income for him.

Adjoran on December 24, 2011 at 5:09 AM

Logboy on December 24, 2011 at 3:29 AM

That!

See, it’s one thing to sympathize with Paul’s bigotry,or bend over backwards to deny it entirely….but you’re still left with 10 years of pure negligence while playing a role distributing prejudice material published under his name.

Also missing…Paul’s apology, expressed outrage, or admission such materials deserve to be deemed as offensive. Instead we have a Texas NAACP rep defending him. The initial defense was always that Paul was being taken out of context. but the problem with both responses is that if you believe there is a context, or defense of racism, then perhaps you should go all out, be honest with yourselves, and write in David Duke.

contrarytopopularbelief on December 24, 2011 at 5:42 AM

Anti-Semites like Bruce Fein and Murray Rothbard?

JohnGalt23 on December 24, 2011 at 5:08 AM

Oh look he’s got a Jewish advisor. Obama has dozens. Even Arafat, and Eichmann had a couple.

Q. What’s the reaction been from the Paul Cultists since Bruce Fein joined Paul’s campaign anyway?
A. A feeding frenzy of antisemitism and conspiracies.

contrarytopopularbelief on December 24, 2011 at 5:55 AM

What a load of crap. The ad “imagines” just about every evil thing possible about American soldiers. About all it didn’t do was “imagine” that the “foreign occupiers” were rapists and baby killers.

While I would vote for Paul if he ended up being the Republican nominee, that’s only because Obama is even worse.

Please dear Lord, don’t burden us with another ‘Morton’s Fork’.

Squiggy on December 24, 2011 at 7:19 AM

that is at most a bigoted narrow statement not racist.
markcon on December 23, 2011 at 10:58 PM

heh-now that is funny and pathetic at the same time.

CW on December 24, 2011 at 9:44 AM

bmowell on December 23, 2011 at 11:31 PM

Do you consider those link sources entirely objective?

hawkdriver on December 24, 2011 at 10:16 AM

Many of you turn to Reagan for guidance, but Reagan turned to this man:

A civil right is a right that is asserted and is therefore protected by some valid law. It may be asserted by the common law, or by local or federal statutes, or by the Constitution; but unless a right is incorporated in the law, it is not a civil right and is not enforceable by the instruments of the civil law. There may be some rights – “natural,” “human,” or otherwise – that should also be civil rights. But if we desire to give such rights the protection of the law, our recourse is to a legislature or to the amendment procedures of the Constitution. We must not look to politicians, or sociologists – or the courts – to correct the deficiency.

~Barry Goldwater

Outofmehead on December 24, 2011 at 11:40 AM

Anti-Semites like Bruce Fein and Murray Rothbard?

JohnGalt23 on December 24, 2011 at 5:08 AM

Not to mention Ayn Rand and Milton Friedman. Epic FAIL on the part of Paul-haters.

shawk on December 24, 2011 at 11:44 AM

The federal government only has jurisdiction over its own property. The Act itself is not completely unconstitutional, but two titles in the act venture into regulating the use of private property where no federal law had gone before. Democrats that did support it (Fewer Dems supported it than Repubics) did so not because it would correct society (It didn’t), but because it provided more power to the feds to encroach and ultimately take over property – an eventual goal of the New Deal (see:Wicker v. Filburn). Remember, we are talking about progressives – socialists who’s stated goal is to lead us to revolution not by armed revolt, but by using existing institutions to feed it to us piece by piece. I venture to say that without the CRA of 64, the NTSB would not be talking about cell phone bans, no smoking bans would have been enacted, and pretty much every other nanny state regulation on private property from the feds on down since. (See:giant blue gorilla)

Outofmehead on December 24, 2011 at 11:57 AM

Sorry folks I am not blind paulbot . I’m just pragmatic and I consider socialism and the coming economic meltdown as more important. Lets say he has some bad biases as you want us to believe and some questionable associates but with equally impeccable ones too. lets chastise him for disagreeing with Reagan but admit at least that the disagreement was based on principal not any lib conversion on RP part. Ron Paul is the one to turn this country around economically and constitutionally. 30 years of the same message of conservatism.

now I blow your mind.

Obama is a Marxist -his family and his mentors and his reading preferences and his associates are. He is also a racist! that black first, black liberation theology is that plain and simple.
Its his Marxism that matters. His policy and appointments reflect that first. where would his racism get him in the white house? nowhere except getting a few black panthers off the hook.

If Ron Paul was a racist where would it get him in the white house? you think it would effect his judgement on Israel but your wrong. That course is already dictated by his non intervention policy, and no its not the chicken and the egg conundrum, for that policy is rooted in the founders and the Constitution.Ron Paul’s policy and appointments would reflect his ideology same as Obama.

why so many coming to RP? All the cries of “he called this and that as unconstitutional.”
trying to bias us but instead made us look into it, made us look into the logic and made us face the fact that unless we wanted to be like the libs, molding the Constitution into some unrecognizable living document that like all living things must die, we have to return to the rule of law and the contract that is the Constitution.

markcon on December 24, 2011 at 12:52 PM

now I blow your mind.

markcon on December 24, 2011 at 12:52 PM

You’re an idiot.

Logboy on December 24, 2011 at 2:21 PM

wow I’m impressed. I have seen the error of my ways by your cheap condemnation –>not!.

markcon on December 24, 2011 at 2:54 PM

now I blow your mind.

markcon on December 24, 2011 at 12:52 PM

You’re an idiot.

Logboy on December 24, 2011 at 2:21 PM

^^ Understatement of the year!

Tim_CA on December 24, 2011 at 2:58 PM

Merry Christmas everyone! Even those who want the same old party hacks and same big government slow slide to socialism. off the PC and time for family.

markcon on December 24, 2011 at 2:59 PM

markcon on December 24, 2011 at 2:59 PM

lmao.

Merry Christmas!!

Tim_CA on December 24, 2011 at 3:15 PM

Thomas Woods is the chairman of the advisory board for Ron Paul’s SuperPac, Revolution Pac:

Now for the interesting part.

Thomas Woods is a co-founder of the League of the South, a neo-Confederate group, and has written frequently for its magazine The Southern Patriot.

For more on Woods views:

Behind the Jeffersonian Veneer
The author of The Politically Incorrect Guide to American History is no libertarian.

Hmm … Ron Paul … anti-American foreign policy views, prominent supporters who are bigots, frequent guest on Alex Jones radio show, who is a 9/11 truther …

Beginning to add up?

ZoNation: Why Ron Paul is the Jeremiah Wright of the Right

Speaking of 9/11, al Qaeda, Iran and Hezbollah:

U.S. District Court Rules Iran Behind 9/11 Attacks

Order of Judgment

Findings of Fact and Conclusions of Law

But hey, no reason to be perturbed if Iran has a nuclear bomb and is able to distribute nuclear fissile material to proxy terror organizations.

john.frank on December 25, 2011 at 4:50 AM

Since someone mentioned my late, great Senator Barry AuH20, allow me to add my favorite quote from the man who, in the 1920s landed his plane on a dirt airstrip next the Salt River in Phoenix. That land eventually became the Arizona airport: Sky Harbor. At least they eventually named a terminal after him.

“Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in the face of tyranny is no virtue.” – Barry Goldwater 1964

Learn it, embrace it, love it, America!
(and then Barry became senile and married his Leftist live-in nurse)
BTW … Working his Ham Radio from his home atop a mountain in North Phoenix, he channeled the phone calls from troops in Vietnam to their families back home in “the world”.
A true Renaissance Man.

~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus on December 25, 2011 at 9:41 AM

If Rush Limburger were getting as much attention for racism as Ron Paul was, he’d have been run out of the country in disgrace years ago.

…but Rush tells his followers exactly what they want to hear, often, and loudly.

MelonCollie on December 25, 2011 at 6:45 PM

john.frank on December 25, 2011 at 4:50 AM

In other words, he’s another Walter Mitty redneck with fantasies of a hypocritical white-bread society that acted perfectly in public…but behaved like absolute monsters at home. Some of the worst abuses, in fact, occurred in ‘highly religious’ homes.

His views are irrelevant and his endorsements don’t mean a sack of dried beans. He’ll latch on to anyone he thinks (and I use that term loosely) will possibly throw his band of KKK-wannabes a bone if they somehow get elected.

MelonCollie on December 25, 2011 at 6:56 PM

Ron Paul needs to give a speech and explain the newsletters in detail. This brouhaha will not die until then.

He is either:

1. A racist.

and/or

2. Has “palled around with racists, anti-Semites, and homophobes.”

and/or

3. Was incapable of running a small business with less than 10 employees, which doesn’t say much about his “executive” experience or bode well as to how he would deal with the 2+ million Federal employees or even 400,000 workers if he slashed the Federal workforce by 80%, which would be a fabu thing and cause me to travel the country seeking signatures on a petition to put his ugly mug up on Mount Rushmore.

Resist We Much on December 25, 2011 at 7:58 PM

MelonCollie on December 25, 2011 at 6:56 PM

Every time you post, the credibility of this cite goes down.

hawkdriver on December 26, 2011 at 10:19 PM