And the 2011 Hot Air Readership Republican of the Year Award goes to…

posted at 3:45 pm on December 23, 2011 by Patrick Ishmael

A big thanks to everyone that participated in our Second Annual HARRY balloting, particularly as the holidays have kicked in. Who’s the Hot Air Readership Republican of the Year? Let’s start with the minor categories.

Hot Air Story of the Year

Sorry, AG Holder, but blog posts about Fast and Furious claimed the top spot for 2011, taking the crown by a wide margin. Blog posts about the Presidential primary took a distant second, followed by the death of Osama bin Laden.

Preferred Vice Presidential Candidate of Hot Air Readers

I opted to go free-form for a number of these questions — with some unexpected results — but one result I did expect was this one: Hot Air readers chose Marco Rubio as their preferred candidate for Vice President. And it wasn’t all that close, either.

This is Rubio’s second nomination and second win for Best Politician Hopefully in a Supporting Role, making him Hot Air’s first repeat winner. Worth noting that during the year, Allen West was a regular winner of the VP question in the monthly surveys. Last year, he placed sixth at the HARRYs and was the VP of the most popular “ticket.” He remains competitive today.

And now, Gary Busey rambling.

The pageantry. Moving on, Hot Air voters are very enthusiastic to vote in 2012…

… though they’re a little less enthusiastic to vote for their candidate.

Hot Air Commenters of the Year

There was no clear winner here, and given the number of free-form possibilities for this question, vote totals and candidates were a tad fragmented. (In the future, I may just take nominations ahead of time.) A big takeaway, though, is that readers like it when Allahpundit, Ed, and Tina jump into the threads to mix it up a bit. Among those who don’t write for the site, bishop, Cindy Munford, canopfor, Unseen, Madison Conservative and upinak appear to have developed a fair amount of respect from — or at least, generated a fair amount of entertainment for — other Hot Air commenters. Congrats to all the winners!

Preferred Presidential Candidate of Hot Air Readers

Newt Gingrich takes the prize for Best Politician in a Hopefully Leading Role, but his early-December downward trend has continued with Hot Air readers.

Rick Perry ticks up a bit and remains in second. Mitt Romney takes third again. And Rick Santorum leap frogs Michele Bachmann into fourth, doubling his previous percentage of the vote. Suffice to say, Iowa should be very interesting.

Preferred Ticket of Hot Air Readers

Last year readers in the aggregate preferred a Sarah Palin-Allen West ticket. This year, the most popular ticket is Rick Perry-Marco Rubio, with Gingrich-Rubio a close second.

Which leads us to…

The Hot Air Readership Republican of the Year

And the HARRY goes to…

In a fragmented free-form race, the top two vote-getters ended up very close to one another, but in the end Paul Ryan edges past champion Sarah Palin for the 2011 HARRY. The most often nominated candidates follow:

Ryan was at several points considered a serious candidate for the Presidency in 2011 but, more importantly I think, he was considered a serious student of policy throughout. For a more personal overview, I’ll quote Larry Kudlow’s Human Events recap of what made Ryan important this year:

Well, here comes the old-fashioned Ryan, a man who’s interested in policy, not personal ambition. He also has to help raise his young family. He and his wife Janna have two boys ages seven and eight and a girl age nine. He’s been teaching his nine-year-old Liza how to shoot a .243 light-caliber Remington 700 bolt-action hunting rifle. The weekend before Christmas, he took his crew to Medieval Times on the North Shore of Chicago, where they watched knights on horseback jousting with each other while eating a little junk food. Family is clearly more important right now than presidential ambition.

So would he become Office of Management and Budget director in a Republican administration? “I don’t think about it,” he said. But for the 2012 election, Ryan has a political vision: Republicans must develop and communicate a clear policy agenda along the lines of his “Path to Prosperity.” Then, should they win, the GOP can use this agenda to govern effectively.

“Reagan had this right,” Ryan told me. For the congressman from Wisconsin, it’s the American Idea. That’s Ryan’s vision. And the Republican Party had better take notice, because this election could be America’s last chance for a very long time.

That’s a wrap. I’m on Twitter. Merry Christmas, and Happy Holidays!

This post was promoted from GreenRoom to HotAir.com.
To see the comments on the original post, look here.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I’m really suprised Doktor Paul did not do any better..:)

Dire Straits on December 23, 2011 at 6:56 PM

Merry Christmas.

Lourdes on December 23, 2011 at 6:49 PM

Merry Christmas right back at ya.

Spirit Crusher on December 23, 2011 at 6:57 PM

Merry Christmas.

Lourdes on December 23, 2011 at 6:49 PM

Merry Christmas Lourdes..:)

Dire Straits on December 23, 2011 at 6:58 PM

I’m actually jealous. If only Illinois had one good Republican… Oh wait. Where’s Joe Walsh on that list? Oh, that’s right, no surprises here, Boehner has thrown him under the bus. He has been told to run in a heavily Democratic district.

Fallon on December 23, 2011 at 4:01 PM

I’m glad that Walsh chose to run in the 8th again, since I’m in that district. Also I’m glad because if he ran in the 14th, he’d risk unseating another good Republican, Hultgren.

I hope and pray he gets re-elected because I DON’T want to suffer with Tammy Duckworth.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on December 23, 2011 at 6:59 PM

I can’t believe Scott Walker didn’t make the top ten Republicans!

melle1228 on December 23, 2011 at 3:48 PM

I agree..How can that be right??!!??.Is there a mistake??..:)

Dire Straits on December 23, 2011 at 7:01 PM

congratulations to the HA commentators here(Cindy,Bishop, etc)been reading your comments for 3 years now and I think you are all worthy of mention.Could not vote because I am FNG 2 weeks in now.Merry Christmas to all-looking forward to 2012 God willing.

jeffinsjvca on December 23, 2011 at 7:07 PM

Very interesting results..Perry came in second..Good news..A very good list of commenters of the year Congrats to them..:):)

PS..Good job Patrick..:)

Dire Straits on December 23, 2011 at 6:53 PM

Fixed..:)

Dire Straits on December 23, 2011 at 7:10 PM

We need better definition of Republican vs Conservative. Rush is our leading Conservative voice but does not hesitate to strongly criticize some “Republicans”!!!

PaCadle on December 23, 2011 at 7:14 PM

Was it the same Ryan who supported TARP?

Archivarix on December 23, 2011 at 7:23 PM

I Missed voting on this?

I’ve been here since the good ole’ LGF days.

HOW THE HELL DID I MISS THIS!?!

BEES! BEES! SAVE YOURSELVES! RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!

I cannot believed I missed this.

Man…depressed.

Scoreboard44 on December 23, 2011 at 7:27 PM

Did they take away the Blog Monitors Greenroom privileges? Awwwww

Rio Linda Refugee on December 23, 2011 at 7:43 PM

Paul Ryan will be leading this category for years to come. Maybe at our Brokered Convention too. Ryan 2012.

Sparty on December 23, 2011 at 7:47 PM

I am glad Perry made it to 2nd. He is my candidate and I am not going to be discouraged because he won’t be in VA ballet.
Governor Perry has been the 800 pound political gorilla since he even thought about getting in – because of PROVEN CONSERVATIVE GOVERNANCE, the Texas record on jobs, and his electoral success (i.e. never lost one).
I pray that Governor Perry will fight his way back into this with a good showing in Iowa – that the field will thin out – and that with four or so podiums instead of 8 he will look much more credible as a POTUS.
A good man. A great American. Goodspeed, Governor Perry.

nancysabet on December 23, 2011 at 8:13 PM

This is the sweetest thing I’ve ever read. I am crazy about my HotAir family. Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukkah everyone!!

Cindy Munford on December 23, 2011 at 8:32 PM

Congrats Cindy M. – you certainly earned top space – especially for your patience with some Hot Air ‘challenging’ commenters… Really !! ‘My’ reaction is NEVER as calm as yours, e.v.e.r…..Probably a good thing that I don’t comment very often. ;) I am one of the newbies, but have been reading HA for many years. I appreciate your calm strength.

Kathy K.

kennedyk49 on December 23, 2011 at 8:53 PM

What’s with the Rubio for VP nonsense? Why would we want someone as our VP candidate who can’t be? Yes, children, Marco Rubio is inedible to be either President or Vice President of the United States. Sorry, it is laid out in black and white in Article 2 Section 5 of the USC: No person except a natural born Citizen ….. shall be eligible to the Office of President The 12th amendment applies the Article 2 Section 5 requirements to the Vice President: no person constitutionally ineligible to the office of President shall be eligible to that of Vice-President of the United States. As per the unanimous decision of the Supreme Court in the case MINOR v. HAPPERSETT, 88 U.S. 162 (1874) (the one and only SCOTUS case in which the natural-born issue is touched) :

The Constitution does not, in words, say who shall be natural-born citizens. Resort must be had elsewhere to ascertain that. At common-law, with the nomenclature of which the framers of the Constitution were familiar, it was never doubted that all children born in a country of parents who were its citizens became themselves, upon their birth, citizens also. These were natives, or natural-born citizens, as distinguished from aliens or foreigners. Some authorities go further and include as citizens children born within the jurisdiction without reference to the citizenship of their [88 U.S. 162, 168] parents. As to this class there have been doubts, but never as to the first.

Sadly, Senator Rubio’s parents were not citizens at the time of his birth and did not become so until he was four years old. While born a citizen of the United States Senator Rubio IS NOT a Natural-born citizen and therefore inedible to be either President or Vice President of the United States. Same applies to Governor Jindal whose parents were also not citizens at the time of his birth. Many of you HA’ers need to find your dream VP candidate elsewhere. Marco Rubio cannot never be VP or POTUS without a Constitution amendment changing the Natural-born requirement. Sorry.

How did Obama clear the hurdle you ask? A citizen mother. Though in the strict sense Natural-born means BOTH parents (note the phrase parents, not parent, in the cited passage above). But the media and the voters decided to look the other way on that interpretation of the Natural-born clause. Guaranteed that won’t happen for Senator Rubio or for Governor Jindal as they didn’t have a single citizen parent at the time of their birth. It is a problem. And wishing otherwise won’t change that fact.

One more thing, remember the “issue” about John McCain’s birth and that he possibly wasn’t edible to be POTUS? A red herring; smokescreen so that Mr. Obama’s problem of his British subject father wouldn’t be examined too closely. As per the cited case above the Supreme Court’s unanimous decision was “that the children of citizens of the United States that might be born beyond the sea, or out of the limits of the United States, should be considered as natural-born citizens.” John McCain was 100% edible despite being born in Panama because he was born of citizens of the United States. Too bad our wimp of a President candidate decided not hammer Mr. Obama about his questionable edibility.

For those of you that think I’m making stuff up here is the link for the SCOTUS decision:

Tarnsman on December 23, 2011 at 8:59 PM

kennedyk49 on December 23, 2011 at 8:53 PM

We don’t need more of me, we need more of you. Please comment more, I am sure you have so much to add.

Cindy Munford on December 23, 2011 at 9:01 PM

Palin/Ryan for 2012 would work for brokered convention…

ChuckTX on December 23, 2011 at 9:05 PM

a total absence of Rand Paul? really?

rndmusrnm on December 23, 2011 at 9:21 PM

Tarnsman on December 23, 2011 at 8:59 PM

Freudian slip? ;-)

Congrats to the winning commenters. Bishop and unseen have been my faves the past couple years while lurking around here …

ShainS on December 23, 2011 at 9:46 PM

Rubio is inedible to be either President or Vice President of the United States

What? Are Cuban’s too spicy for ya?!?!

Creston on December 23, 2011 at 9:49 PM

Yeah, I thought Rand Paul would have been in there somewhere.

TXGOP on December 23, 2011 at 9:57 PM

Aslan’s Girl on December 23, 2011 at 6:59 PM

Unfortunately, I believe Boehner has set him up to fail. There is no love lost between them. I hope Joe can beat Tammy but she will have the full force of the Dems behind her and the GOP cavalry will not ride in to save Joe.

Cindy Munford on December 23, 2011 at 8:32 PM

Congrats, Cindy! I usually find myself agreeing with you and cmsinaz.

Fallon on December 23, 2011 at 10:26 PM

Congrats to all the locals who were mentioned as being respected here or for at least having generated some entertainment for the rest of US.

RalphyBoy on December 23, 2011 at 11:05 PM

Unseen , if you are on twitter please follow me @CoolChange80

You are one of the greats

CoolChange80 on December 23, 2011 at 11:22 PM

unseen?
You’ve got to effing be kidding me.
The other names mentioned are great conservatives and class acts.

annoyinglittletwerp on December 23, 2011 at 11:34 PM

Among those who don’t write for the site…Madison Conservative…

Because f-k you, Greenroom. :D

Anyway, congrats on the well-deserved nod to your commenting greatness, MC. You know I’d have voted for you had I ever even seen the actual ballot…

Bee on December 24, 2011 at 12:18 AM

Paul Ryan. Wow. A wisconsin RINO won Hot Air Republican of the Year.

Pitchforker on December 24, 2011 at 12:49 AM

The list should have been Scott Walker, Jim DeMint, Sarah Palin, Michele Bachmann, Rand Paul, and Herman Cain. I live in Wisconsin, and Walker is a Godsend.

LevinFan90 on December 24, 2011 at 2:14 AM

Rick Perry ticking up again, god sends hope like shafts of sunlight glowing through a darkened stormy sky. I pray for our nation, our troops and our people may god continue to reign his blessings down on America.

Perry 2012…. The end of an error!!!

iidvbii on December 24, 2011 at 3:04 AM

@alt. I’ve been lurking for the last 3 years and unseen and Gary4205 were my 2 favorite commenters. Some of us actually appreciate those who fight for a real conservative in Gov. Palin instead of those who only make side remarks.

LevinFan on December 24, 2011 at 3:49 AM

*snide

LevinFan on December 24, 2011 at 3:50 AM

@ LevinFan90 Nice post. I agree with the names you listed those are some ones on our side. I would add Louis Gomart and Mike Pence to that list.
Sorry to beat ya out on the nickname but.great minds think alike. Levin is the best host on the radio !

LevinFan on December 24, 2011 at 3:55 AM

And now, Gary Busey rambling.

LMAO!

Tim_CA on December 24, 2011 at 4:58 AM

Guys/Gals,Crew of Hot Air,I’m stunned,shocked and very Honored,
and I think,that list,should be larger,as there are other great
commenters,and I thank-you for putting up with my antics,and
free-style type postings,as Hot Air,allows one to be creative!!

=====================================:0

canopfor on December 24, 2011 at 5:57 AM

Paul Ryan is the Conservative’s conservative. He has time to eventually make his mark in the public square or settle down to a nice think tank and commentary position. A man for all seasons it appears he is, methinks.

As for POTUS, Rick Perry is still my guy. I just wish he had jumped in earlier and been better prepared, both himself and his ‘boots on the ground’, for a national campaign. I hope beyond hope that he would choose John Bolton as his VP. How’s that for leadership?

As for Story of the Year: F&F, hands down.

As another FNG who has been reading HA for years, I won’t comment on other commenters. Some of y’all are very informed and/or humorous.
Ya know, that’s what’s missing from Leftist (MSM) websites – Humor.

Merry Christmas to one and all.

~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus on December 24, 2011 at 8:05 AM

unseen?
You’ve got to effing be kidding me.

annoyinglittletwerp on December 23, 2011 at 11:34 PM

Unseen is a great poster. One I admire for sheer chutzpah, focus and determination. I wish he/she would come around a little more.

Fallon on December 24, 2011 at 10:10 AM

canopfor on December 24, 2011 at 5:57 AM

You work the postings like no other. You are unique. You are tenacious and brilliant with your updates and linked stories. When you took a sabatical, you were greatly missed. Congrats!

Merry Christmas!

Fallon on December 24, 2011 at 10:14 AM

unseen?
You’ve got to effing be kidding me.

annoyinglittletwerp on December 23, 2011 at 11:34 PM

Fallon on December 24, 2011 at 10:10 AM

DITTO that comment!
A lot more!

KOOLAID2 on December 24, 2011 at 10:32 AM

Fallon on December 24, 2011 at 10:10 AM

unseen was one of the nastiest Palin cultists. He, promachus, and idesign are all of the same ilk.
MadCon and I have gotten into some VERY heated ‘discussions’-but so what. I respect him as a fellow passionate conservative.
‘Nuff said.

annoyinglittletwerp on December 24, 2011 at 10:32 AM

Guys/Gals,Crew of Hot Air,I’m stunned,shocked and very Honored,
and I think,that list,should be larger,as there are other great
commenters,and I thank-you for putting up with my antics,and
free-style type postings,as Hot Air,allows one to be creative!!

=====================================:0

canopfor on December 24, 2011 at 5:57 AM

Buddy!…You be da Bomb! Nothing shocking about it.

KOOLAID2 on December 24, 2011 at 10:36 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on December 24, 2011 at 10:32 AM

No more nastier than you use in your replies to them and in your defense of Perry. I often disagree with you but I don’t dislike you as a poster. I adore MadCon, as well. There is room for all.

Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukkah!

Fallon on December 24, 2011 at 10:37 AM

Governor of Texas/Presidential Candidate gets you 26
Reality TV/Fox News gets you 478

?

Anton on December 24, 2011 at 10:39 AM

Anton on December 24, 2011 at 10:39 AM

Governor of Texas/Presidential Candidate gets you 26

Former Governor of Alaska, former GOP VP candidate, outspoken defender of conservative values and lightning rod for the Republican Party gets you 478

Now, do you get it?

Fallon on December 24, 2011 at 10:57 AM

Unseen , if you are on twitter please follow me @CoolChange80

You are one of the greats

CoolChange80 on December 23, 2011 at 11:22 PM

Fallon on December 24, 2011 at 10:10 AM

Dittoplex

Get back on the horse unseen!
You have many fans.

eyesky on December 24, 2011 at 12:07 PM

Now, do you get it?

Fallon on December 24, 2011 at 10:57 AM

I obviously get that is how some people look at it, the numbers are what they are. But this was for 2011.

Anton on December 24, 2011 at 12:11 PM

…u should have given me commenter of the year

apocalypse on December 24, 2011 at 3:24 PM

I can’t believe Scott Walker didn’t make the top ten Republicans!

melle1228 on December 23, 2011 at 3:48 PM

I agree..How can that be right??!!??.Is there a mistake??..:)

Dire Straits on December 23, 2011 at 7:01 PM

davidk on December 24, 2011 at 7:25 PM

canopfor on December 24, 2011 at 5:57 AM
You work the postings like no other. You are unique. You are tenacious and brilliant with your updates and linked stories. When you took a sabbatical, you were greatly missed. Congrats!

Merry Christmas!

Fallon on December 24, 2011 at 10:14 AM

I agree, would like to mention HawkDriver as one of my favorites.
Positive commenters win the day, as should be.

IowaWoman on December 25, 2011 at 12:00 AM

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

IowaWoman on December 25, 2011 at 12:01 AM

I guess Ryan should win because he wants to increase government spending the least. But why can’t we get anybody who wants to decrease government spending — especially by a lot!?

Steve Stoddard on December 25, 2011 at 4:40 PM

Patrick, I have to say this was one of the best threads you have done. :) Keep up the good work.

As for people voting for me and MadCon, Cindy (one of my heroes), Bishop, can (my Canadian hero), and even unseen, thank you.

I don’t think this a popularity contest though. There are quite a few great commenters out there in the blogo’sphere. I always enjoy reading them and I can learn something new everyday.

Allah, Ed, and Tina.. you also keep up the good work. :)

I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas, and thanks Nita for freaking me out this morning! LOL

upinak on December 26, 2011 at 12:17 PM

Interesting results, and yes, I forgot about Scott Walker.

**hanging my head in shame**

Also, I didn’t see any results for “Lawn Gnome vs Obama”. Please tell me the Gnome won by a huge margin.

Taximom on December 26, 2011 at 11:19 PM