Video: “Prometheus” trailer

posted at 6:00 pm on December 22, 2011 by Allahpundit

Why yes, it is “trailer week,” a.k.a. “slow-news holiday week,” at Hot Air. I dig this one more than any of the others we’ve blogged lately, but admittedly there’s some grade inflation going on. For one thing, it’s Ridley Scott’s first shot at sci fi since “Blade Runner”; if you’re wondering why the clip looks like a cross between BR and “Alien,” well, that’s why. (“Prometheus” was originally intended as an “Alien” prequel, in fact.) Beyond that, the trailer is all mood and no plot, and because it looks fantastic the expectation is that the movie will be fantastic. But maybe not: The storyline’s been kept secret so far but apparently the first draft of the script seemed sufficiently “rough” to Charlize Theron that she insisted on working on it with Scott and screenwriter Damon Lindelof. What could go wrong?

Actually, for once I’m not sure that anything can really go wrong. The F/X look gorgeous and there seems to be enough screaming/shooting/exploding happening to keep things interesting. How can a flick like this miss?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I can’t think of a single memorable line from Avatar.

JeffWeimer on December 22, 2011 at 6:44 PM

“Now that’s a nice tail.”

Rod on December 22, 2011 at 8:15 PM

BR is a great movie. Nothing like it, before or since. That’s what makes science fiction so good. Otherwise, all you’ve got is space cowboys and cleavage.

BobMbx on December 22, 2011 at 8:14 PM

My favorite scene was the unicorn prancing through the forest. I say, why not? It’s not anything else in that movie made any sense.

ZGMF_Freedom on December 22, 2011 at 8:19 PM

I cannot wait for Prometheus and based on the tidbits Scott has been trickling out, he has his head fully around it. When I read he is relying on full-size animatronics for the space jockey rather than CGI it was a hallelujah moment. Actors get to act and interact with animatronics but phone it in with CGI. Under Scott it might even be epic but, even he has an off day -

Unicorns AND… Tom Cruise

roy_batty on December 22, 2011 at 8:21 PM

I hope it doesn’t turn out like Blade Runner. Awful movie.

ZGMF_Freedom on December 22, 2011 at 8:12 PM

That was irrational of you… not to mention unsportsmanlike…..

roy_batty on December 22, 2011 at 8:24 PM

That was irrational of you… not to mention unsportsmanlike…..

roy_batty on December 22, 2011 at 8:24 PM

I think I remember your character. The Dolph Lundgren looking guy, right?

ZGMF_Freedom on December 22, 2011 at 8:33 PM

Looks interesting. And man, do the movies out right now seriously blow, or what?

I’m in the process of writing an epic screenplay (that’ll never be produced) that’s about alien enslavement of humanity from start to finish. Complete with “ONE MAN” who saves us all that jazz.

I can’t seem to focus on getting it finished because I keep debating Ron Paul with people online.

sigh…

fatlibertarianinokc on December 22, 2011 at 8:38 PM

Do marketers dream of electric sheep?

profitsbeard on December 22, 2011 at 8:44 PM

..which proves Lawndawg’s point: most memorable quotes in the series.

The War Planner on December 22, 2011 at 7:51 PM

I’m not disagreein’

JeffWeimer on December 22, 2011 at 8:44 PM

Oh I can….

“The End”

csdeven on December 22, 2011 at 8:06 PM

That means you had to sit through the whole thing to get to your favorite part.

JeffWeimer on December 22, 2011 at 8:46 PM

Roy_batty on December 22, 2011 at 8:21 PM

I loved Legend. Great music by Yes and beautiful cinematography. Scott has an incredible resume of epic movies: Gladiator, Black Hawk Down, kingdom of Heaven, Thelma & Louise, Robin Hood.

I did like Alien but loved Aliens! Imminently quotable and such real life aliens I still have nightmares about them. I am loooking forward to Prometheus.

I don’t know about those hunger books but will look into them.

Van Leuwin: Thank you, that will be all.
Ripley: God damn it, that’s not all! Because if one of those things gets down here then that will be all! Then all this – this bullshit that you think is so important, you can just kiss all that goodbye!

Ripley: Well, somebody’s gonna have to go out there. Take a portable terminal, go out there and patch in manually.
Hudson: Oh yeah, sure! With those things runnin’ around? You can count me out.
Hicks: Yeah I guess we can just count you out of everything, Hudson.
Bishop: [speaking under Hicks] I’ll go.
Hudson: That’s right, man.
Bishop: I’ll go.
Hudson: Hey, why don’t you go, man!
Bishop: [more loudly] I’ll go.
Ripley: What?
Bishop: I’ll go. I mean, I’m the only one qualified to remote-pilot the ship anyway.
Hudson: Yeah right, man, Bishop should go.
[Vasquez looks at Hudson with disgust]
Hudson: Good idea!
Bishop: Believe me, I’d prefer not to. I may be synthetic, but I’m not stupid.

I am loooking forward to Prometheus.

I don’t know about those hunger books but will look into them.

FLconservative on December 22, 2011 at 8:46 PM

If there’s a scene with Charlize Theron in her underwear, I’m there.

I’ll just sit through the rest of the movie if I haveta’.

SteveMG on December 22, 2011 at 6:22 PM

Then you’ll have to wait till the last 10 minutes of the movie, until she blows it out of the “g*dd*amned airlock.”

Garym on December 22, 2011 at 8:55 PM

If there’s a scene with Charlize Theron in her underwear, I’m there

Nice!

Anyway, count me in for this one. Love the Alien movies.

Redrocket on December 22, 2011 at 9:06 PM

That was irrational of you… not to mention unsportsmanlike…..

roy_batty on December 22, 2011 at 8:24 PM

I’m sorry you had to see what happened to Pris, but you know …. she deserved it. ;)

Garym on December 22, 2011 at 9:07 PM

My favorite aliens quote:

“Any questions? What is it Hudson?

Uh yes sir, how do I get out of this chiken-shit outfit?”

HaHa I always wanted to ask that one when I was in the Space Marine Corps

jephthah on December 22, 2011 at 9:22 PM

The teasiest of teases. Can’t tell what’s going on at all.

morandjp on December 22, 2011 at 9:22 PM

Halo?

Also, what’s with the blaring horn being in ALL trailers lately?

Aquateen Hungerforce on December 22, 2011 at 9:23 PM

roy_batty on December 22, 2011 at 8:24 PM

Go figure, you’d be interested in this thread.

JeffWeimer on December 22, 2011 at 9:24 PM

With Damon lindenhof writing it, it’s bound to have some LOST-esque plot twists and book references. Put me down for a 3D IMAX ticket or two. Also loved BR et al.

AH_C on December 22, 2011 at 9:50 PM

All aliens would have to do to get rid of the human species would be to anonymously publish lots of useful bioterrorist information online and sit back and laugh.

Then sweep up our debris and move in.

We’re more than dumb enough to do the dirty work for them ourselves.

profitsbeard on December 22, 2011 at 9:55 PM

“Maybe we got ‘em Demoralized!”

“Knock it off, Hudson”

Bulletchaser on December 22, 2011 at 11:12 PM

Saw this in the theater Tuesday night before Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, then watched it in 1080p this afternoon.

If you’re a fan, though, do yourself a favor and watch the HD version @ 1080p. The visuals are amazing — so much detail and so many questions raised…

Purple Fury on December 22, 2011 at 11:34 PM

I hope Ridley Scott has an interesting story to tell and this prequel isn’t just Alien redux. At least this film has some eye candy with Charlize Theron hopefully running in her underwear from an Alien.

RedRobin145 on December 22, 2011 at 11:53 PM

Alien scared me right out of the theater. I could feel my blood pressure rising and thought my head would explode. I can’t wait to see this one. It might be as vapid as Alien but I can’t resist great special effects.

It would be nice if the legacy of that movie didn’t have to end with the dreadful Alien Resurrection and the Alien v. Predator films.

flataffect on December 23, 2011 at 1:00 AM

Blade Runner was one of the all-time best Sci-Fi movies ever made.

Period.

I had no idea Prometheus was even cooking. The trailer looks very promising. I’m definitely excited.

nukemhill on December 23, 2011 at 1:51 AM

I liked Event Horizon.

Event Horizon scared the &^%^ out of me, but I saw it again a few years ago and it didn’t have quite the same effect when I saw it way back when.

I can’t wait for Underworld Awakening comes out. I am always a fan of vamps that aren’t twinklers(twilight)..

melle1228 on December 23, 2011 at 7:44 AM

Pearl Harbor (2001)

Transformers 2 Revenge of the Fallen Producers (2009)

Difficultas_Est_Imperium on December 23, 2011 at 7:52 AM

Srsly?

MTLassen on December 22, 2011 at 6:58 PM

… I hate to admit this, but I have to since I crinkled my nose in public — I was thinking of someone else :) I don’t know why. There’s this other blonde of similar general effect that frowns me off the movie entirely — but I think even that’s because of the movies she prefers to make.

Axe on December 23, 2011 at 9:14 AM

from Wikipedia: The film will focus on a mythology within the Alien universe. Set in the late-21st century, Prometheus will explore the advanced civilization of an extraterrestrial race responsible for the origins of modern humans on Earth,[5] as well as the background of the alien creature which made its first appearance in the 1979 film.[6]

The title of the film, now in post-production,[7] is an allusion to the Titan god, Prometheus, of Greek mythology, who stole fire from Zeus and gave it to humankind — an act which brought eternal punishment upon the god. While actually the name of the humans’ spaceship in the story,[8] the name “Prometheus” is used in a greater metaphorical sense.[9]

FoeHammer865 on December 23, 2011 at 9:47 AM

Two words: Damon Lindeloff.

If you people like being teased for two hours before the movie ends with no resolution and you all are scratching your heads going “WTF?!” then fine, but I’ll wait to rent it.

The fact that Damon Lindeloff even has a career is proof enough of the existence of Satan.

tlclark on December 23, 2011 at 10:23 AM

Does anyone get punished by having an eagle eat his liver?

Bigfoot on December 22, 2011 at 7:52 PM

No, but if you steal fire from the gods, expect to be punished.

clayj on December 23, 2011 at 7:44 PM