Paul in 1995: Say, have you read my newsletters?

posted at 8:45 am on December 22, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

Mitt Romney can breathe a sigh of relief, because Andrew Kaczynksi has shifted his attention to Ron Paul this week. Andrew dug up a 1995 interview with C-SPAN, a year before running for Congress after a decade out of office. Paul tells C-SPAN that he was ready after the long hiatus to return to Washington, but that’s not the big catch in this clip. Starting at 1:45, Ron Paul explains that his private sector efforts are keeping him too busy — and starts plugging his newsletters:

[1:10] So, I was always very active in both politics and my profession.  When I came back, I resumed my medical practice, and I’ve been doing that ever since, but I’ve also stayed active in education. Long term, I don’t think political action is worth very much if you don’t have education, and so I’ve continued with my economic education foundation, Free Foundation, which I started in 1976.  So that’s been very active.  Actually, in the last several years, we’ve been doing some video work, in an educational manner.  We did 14 different 30-minute programs on video.

But along with that, I also put out a political type of business investment newsletter that sort of covered all these areas.  And it covered a lot about what was going on in Washington, and financial events, and especially some of the monetary events.  Since I had been especially interested in monetary policy, had been on the banking committee, and still very interested in, in that subject, that this newsletter dealt with it.  This had to do with the value of the dollar, the pros and cons of the gold standard, and of course the disadvantages of all the high taxes and spending that our government seems to continue to do.

For a man who now says that he didn’t pay any attention to the newsletters published under his own name for years, he certainly seems to be pretty conversant with its contents in 1995.  Remember that the newsletters didn’t become a political liability for Paul until 1996, in the middle of his election campaign against Lefty Morris, who first raised the issue.  This interview is also not far removed from the appearance of the racist passages and kooky conspiracy theories in the newsletters, such as this in 1992:

Paul, writing in his independent political newsletter in 1992, reported about unspecified surveys of blacks.”Opinion polls consistently show that only about 5 percent of blacks have sensible political opinions, i.e. support the free market, individual liberty and the end of welfare and affirmative action,”Paul wrote.

Paul continued that politically sensible blacks are outnumbered “as decent people.” Citing reports that 85 percent of all black men in the District of Columbia are arrested, Paul wrote:

“Given the inefficiencies of what D.C. laughingly calls the `criminal justice system,’ I think we can safely assume that 95 percent of the black males in that city are semi-criminal or entirely criminal,” Paul said.

Paul also wrote that although “we are constantly told that it is evil to be afraid of black men, it is hardly irrational. Black men commit murders, rapes, robberies, muggings and burglaries all out of proportion to their numbers.” …

He added, “We don’t think a child of 13 should be held responsible as a man of 23. That’s true for most people, but black males age 13 who have been raised on the streets and who have joined criminal gangs are as big, strong, tough, scary and culpable as any adult and should be treated as such.”

Today, of course, Paul insists that he never bothered to review the newsletters before publication and rarely read them at all, much different than his 1995 promotion of the newsletters as his primary vehicle for political engagement and, er, education.  It explains why in 1996 Paul neither denied authorship of the passages nor familiarity with the thrust of his publications when he was interviewed by the Dallas Morning News, and quoted by Reason Magazine in 2008:

Dr. Paul denied suggestions that he was a racist and said he was not evoking stereotypes when he wrote the columns. He said they should be read and quoted in their entirety to avoid misrepresentation. [...]

In the interview, he did not deny he made the statement about the swiftness of black men.

“If you try to catch someone that has stolen a purse from you, there is no chance to catch them,” Dr. Paul said.

I wonder what’s in the videos?  Besides end-of-days investment planning, that is.

Update: USA Today’s Jackie Kucinich also reports today that Paul’s story has changed over the years:

In 1996, Paul told TheDallas Morning News that his comment about black men in Washington came while writing about a 1992 study by the National Center on Incarceration and Alternatives, a criminal justice think tank in Virginia.

Paul cited the study and wrote: “Given the inefficiencies of what DC laughingly calls the criminal justice system, I think we can safely assume that 95 percent of the black males in that city are semi-criminal or entirely criminal.”

“These aren’t my figures,” Paul told the Morning News. “That is the assumption you can gather from the report.”

Nor did Paul dispute in 1996 his 1992 newsletter statement that said,”If you have ever been robbed by a black teenaged male, you know how unbelievably fleet of foot they can be.”

Now, Paul says he had nothing to do with the contents of the newsletters published in his name.

“Why don’t you go back and look at what I said yesterday on CNN and what I’ve said for 20-something years, 22 years ago?” Paul said on CNN Wednesday. “I didn’t write them. I disavow them. That’s it.” Paul then removed his microphone and abruptly ended the interview.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 6

ruh roh…..

thedevilinside on December 22, 2011 at 8:46 AM

So this is how Mittens’ competition gets taken down. Can’t wait to see what the Dems have on him after the primaries….

ManWithNoParty on December 22, 2011 at 8:47 AM

A few PaulBots here at HA have referred to “one” racist publication. *facepalm*

itsnotaboutme on December 22, 2011 at 8:48 AM

Even worse, Ron Paul was an Amway Salesman at one point.

NoDonkey on December 22, 2011 at 8:49 AM

Game changer cause Granpaul was about to become the GOP nominee..

hillsoftx on December 22, 2011 at 8:49 AM

Is it just me or does Ron Paul, with his hair black, look like Shemp from the Stooges in this video?

Flange on December 22, 2011 at 8:49 AM

So this is how Mittens’ competition gets taken down.

ManWithNoParty on December 22, 2011 at 8:47 AM

So you want to keep this hidden? Or what?

itsnotaboutme on December 22, 2011 at 8:49 AM

Nuh uh… /

Fallon on December 22, 2011 at 8:49 AM

Romney will never ever get my vote . . .how dare he run as a Republican!?

Pragmatic on December 22, 2011 at 8:50 AM

Paul must be honorable for once, resign from the race and his congressional seat.

jp on December 22, 2011 at 8:51 AM

how much is Romney getting paid digging up all these old stuff?

liberal4life on December 22, 2011 at 8:51 AM

Let’s go back and dig up all the video we can find on Romney and his liberal positions and then and go tit for tat and see who wins!

Pragmatic on December 22, 2011 at 8:52 AM

Interesting, in a post about Ron Paul, how many times Romney’s name is mentioned. Isn’t the post about Ron Paul and his racist newsletters? Why don’t we talk about that?

Darksean on December 22, 2011 at 8:54 AM

We must do everything we can to save ourselves from liberty and limited government. Stay vigilant, for someone mey come along who actually believes in both and we must destroy him!

Dante on December 22, 2011 at 8:54 AM

Pragmatic on December 22, 2011 at 8:52 AM

Yes. Because holding liberal positions is the exact same as being a full-blown racist.

Try again.

Washington Nearsider on December 22, 2011 at 8:54 AM

Sorry, Ronulans, your hero is a racist and a liar (and a bad liar at that). He also plays lots of footsie with the 9/11 Truthers and pals around with Alex Jones and similar nuts.

Ron Paul is one nasty piece of work.

Besides all that, I could not conceivably vote, under any circumstances, for someone who is actually significantly to the left of Barack Obama on foreign policy and national security issues.

Hayabusa on December 22, 2011 at 8:55 AM

Flange on December 22, 2011 at 8:49 AM

Lol…he does look like Shemp…Ronplosion 2012!

thedevilinside on December 22, 2011 at 8:55 AM

Here’s another compilation with some scans I hadn’t seen before.

Paul is kaput, and frankly should be drummed out of the Republican party in disgrace.

JohnTant on December 22, 2011 at 8:55 AM

We don’t think a child of 13 should be held responsible as a man of 23. That’s true for most people, but black males age 13 who have been raised on the streets and who have joined criminal gangs are as big, strong, tough, scary and culpable as any adult and should be treated as such.

A childhood spend in neglect, desperation, & fear would lead most folks to have compassion on such a person, & should be mitigating, not convicting, evidence, if anything.

itsnotaboutme on December 22, 2011 at 8:55 AM

He gets the nom, I’m moving to Denmark. The motherland is calling me home…

rollthedice on December 22, 2011 at 8:56 AM

JohnTant on December 22, 2011 at 8:55 AM

Yup.

itsnotaboutme on December 22, 2011 at 8:56 AM

Ron Paul served in the Military…

Romney used his unrecognized religion as a way to run away from being drafted.

I know who the patriot is….

liberal4life on December 22, 2011 at 8:58 AM

“these young whippersnappers are out to get me, I tells ya” – Ron Paul

thedevilinside on December 22, 2011 at 8:58 AM

how much is Romney getting paid digging up all these old stuff?

liberal4life on December 22, 2011 at 8:51 AM

Romney’s personal fortune is worth–conservatively–$250 million, so I’d guess he’s getting paid the usual rate: $100/day plus expenses, which includes smokes, bullets, booze, and maybe a little extra something on payday for Sally, the loyal but not-quite-beautiful secretary who’s been secretly in love with him all these years.

troyriser_gopftw on December 22, 2011 at 8:58 AM

Pragmatic on December 22, 2011 at 8:52 AM

No, “let’s go back and dig up” Paul’s liberal positions, such as being against capital punishment.

itsnotaboutme on December 22, 2011 at 8:58 AM

If Paul “folds” I see Perry as the closest in ideology to Paul. His cut govt / avoid pointless military adventurism is, though more ‘moderate,’ most akin to Paul. Perry could benefit, in theory, from a Paul fall.

anotherJoe on December 22, 2011 at 8:59 AM

Dante on December 22, 2011 at 8:54 AM

“Especially if that someone thinks the same things about blacks that we do!”

or

“Especially if that someone is so farking stupid as to neglect to monitor what goes out under his name!”

or

“Especially if that someone has a demonstrated ability to play his followers for idiots!”

For a guy who preaches personal responsibility, he sure is quick to deny his own when it comes to his newsletters.

Paul = Fail.

JohnTant on December 22, 2011 at 8:59 AM

How do you know that Romney isn’t a ‘full blown’racist?. . .he’s a Mormon . . .look at their historical doctrine regarding blacks (yes, I know they changed it but that was because they were getting too much heat and wanted to recruit more followers).

Pragmatic on December 22, 2011 at 9:00 AM

Commenters named after late night cable cartoon shows hardest hit.

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on December 22, 2011 at 9:00 AM

Let’s treat people differently under the law.

Now that’s true Constitutionalism!

/Paulnut

mankai on December 22, 2011 at 9:01 AM

Pragmatic on December 22, 2011 at 9:00 AM

Well, do you have links to years of Romney-edited newsletters espousing racism? No? Hm.

Washington Nearsider on December 22, 2011 at 9:01 AM

liberal4life on December 22, 2011 at 8:58 AM

So your definition of a ‘patriot’ is a Jew-hating, racist, conspiracy theorist?
Thanks for clearing that up.
///

annoyinglittletwerp on December 22, 2011 at 9:02 AM

Ron Paul’s supporters will NOT support Romney… Perry or Newt will benefit.

Pragmatic on December 22, 2011 at 9:02 AM

Pragmatic on December 22, 2011 at 9:00 AM

I agree with you…

This would mean Romney is also racist since the Mormon church also had some doctrine some years back which said some ugly stuff about blacks.

liberal4life on December 22, 2011 at 9:02 AM

Ron Paul served in the Military…

I know who the patriot is….

liberal4life on December 22, 2011 at 8:58 AM

The Fort Hood shooter served in the military.
So did Benedict Arnold.
So have many murderers, rapists, & thieves.
Military service doesn’t give you carte blanche for the rest of your life, champ.

itsnotaboutme on December 22, 2011 at 9:02 AM

Ron Paul served in the Military…

Romney used his unrecognized religion as a way to run away from being drafted.

I know who the patriot is….

liberal4life on December 22, 2011 at 8:58 AM

Man, that is, like, totally relevant!

Hitler served in the military too. I guess we can just ignore all that other stuff. C’mon, Mein Kampf was published way back in the 20s.

/1933

mankai on December 22, 2011 at 9:03 AM

I’m not a Ron Paul supporter but neither would I ever support Romney. . .that’s my point.

Pragmatic on December 22, 2011 at 9:03 AM

OT? unemployment rates are down to their lowest since 2008! We are all saved! Well the MSM has just told me all the economic indicators show we are!Thank you Obama… s/

sandee on December 22, 2011 at 9:03 AM

TOAST

cmsinaz on December 22, 2011 at 9:03 AM

Pragmatic on December 22, 2011 at 9:00 AM

OK, show me the racist screeds penned by Romney over the course of at least ten years.

JohnTant on December 22, 2011 at 9:04 AM

anotherJoe on December 22, 2011 at 8:59 AM

I’m a Jewish Perry supporter.
Perry’s a mensch-Paul’s dog crap.
Next!

annoyinglittletwerp on December 22, 2011 at 9:04 AM

liberal4life on December 22, 2011 at 9:02 AM

Here’s a picture of Ron Paul at a Klan rally wearing a swastika…

Yeah, but Romney’s a mormon!

/good luck with that

mankai on December 22, 2011 at 9:04 AM

Of the quotes provided, I think while some are controversial, most can be defended as, pardon the pun, inconvenient truths… except when you get to two of them, including this one:

…and that’s where Ron Paul jumps the shark. He then further shoots himself in the head with this one:

…and that’s another instance where we leave the land of inconvenient truth, and simply hop aboard the Looney Line Railway.

Stoic Patriot on December 22, 2011 at 9:05 AM

sandee on December 22, 2011 at 9:03 AM

That should read unemployment “claims.”

sandee on December 22, 2011 at 9:05 AM

Pragmatic on December 22, 2011 at 9:00 AM

I find your comments very offensive. In the first place, there is no record to back up the idea that Romney is a racist (unlike Paul’s newsletters). In the second place, calling him racist because he (Romney) is a member of the LDS is akin to saying all Catholics must be pedophiles. It is absurd but in a bigoted sort of way. I’m guessing you must be a supporter of Paul just trying to attack one of the real opponents in the face of the fact you’re supporting a racist.

Happy Nomad on December 22, 2011 at 9:05 AM

Romney will never ever get my vote . . .how dare he run as a Republican!?

Pragmatic on December 22, 2011 at 8:50 AM

That’s right, don’t vote for him . . . just cut off that nose to spite your face and we’ll all put on a big smile and get ready for another four years of the little dictator. This is an imperfect world so if your waiting for “JC” forget it, he’s not going to show up for this affair.

rplat on December 22, 2011 at 9:05 AM

This.

crazy_legs on December 22, 2011 at 9:07 AM

We must do everything we can to save ourselves from liberty and limited government. Stay vigilant, for someone mey come along who actually believes in both and we must destroy him.

The man’s own words are destroying himself; no need for others to destroy him. These newsletters should have disqualified him from serious consideration years ago. Amazing that it took this long to get widespread notice.

lowbush-lightning on December 22, 2011 at 9:07 AM

Pragmatic on December 22, 2011 at 9:00 AM

How do y’all know that I’m not a 22 Texas Tech cheerleader named Ashley?
Oh sure-there’s no proof that that’s what I am…but I could be.
get it now?
///

annoyinglittletwerp on December 22, 2011 at 9:08 AM

rplat on December 22, 2011 at 9:05 AM

If Ron Paul gets the GOP nomination, it will be irrefutable proof that the nation needs a third party. I’m a lifelong conservative and Republican. Ron Paul and his crackpot ideas represent my views about as well as those of the European socialist currently destroying this nation. I suspect I am not alone in knowing that I will not ever support Ron Paul for any elective office. It is a disgrace that he even gets to call himself part of the GOP.

Ron Paul is wrong for America.

Happy Nomad on December 22, 2011 at 9:09 AM

IF
Mitt Romney wins the Republican primary. Because he will not repeal Obamacare, will not repeal Don’t Ask Don’t Tell, will not reign in the EPA, and is essentially no different than Obama, he looses the Election.

WHAT WILL CONSERVATIVES LOOSE BY FORMING A 3RD PARTY?

lm10001 on December 22, 2011 at 9:09 AM

Not everything that was written about in that is inaccurate.
The truth has no agenda..like it or not.

*flees the scene*

Mimzey on December 22, 2011 at 9:09 AM

Paul = Fail.

JohnTant on December 22, 2011 at 8:59 AM

He has said that he is morally responsible, so let’s not let that fact get in your way.

Dante on December 22, 2011 at 9:10 AM

Romney’s personal fortune is worth–conservatively–$250 million, so I’d guess he’s getting paid the usual rate: $100/day plus expenses, which includes smokes, bullets, booze decaffinated tea, and maybe a little extra something on payday for Sally, the loyal but not-quite-beautiful secretary who’s been secretly in love with him all these years.

troyriser_gopftw on December 22, 2011 at 8:58 AM

Corrected an otherwise spot-on hilarious take.

ebrown2 on December 22, 2011 at 9:11 AM

There’s a little bit of Jimmy the Greek there.
Going back to the early 90′s! What year is it now?
Things were’nt different?

For the upcoming election, I can’t wait until people start digging
for information, between the time span when JugEars quit wearing diapers and soiling himself…to when he started soiling himself again, in 2008.

KOOLAID2 on December 22, 2011 at 9:11 AM

Dante on December 22, 2011 at 9:10 AM

Nevermind or editorially. You know, since he was listed as the Editor.

Also, has Paul said anything close to ‘you know, my views were wrong, and I apologize for espousing them and allowing them to be published in my name’ anywhere?

(That’s a real question, by the way. Has he apologized [legitimately] and recanted?)

Washington Nearsider on December 22, 2011 at 9:13 AM

“I loves me a racist anti-semite. Now where did I put my tin-foil hat?” – Ron Paul

thedevilinside on December 22, 2011 at 9:13 AM

Paul = Fail.

JohnTant on December 22, 2011 at 8:59 AM

Dante on December 22, 2011 at 9:10 AM

And he had to be dragged -kicking and screaming- to do even that…

ebrown2 on December 22, 2011 at 9:13 AM

Paulians are convinced only Ron Paul has great values, can be trusted.

What rubes.

Random on December 22, 2011 at 9:14 AM

how much is Romney getting paid digging up all these old stuff?

liberal4life on December 22, 2011 at 8:51 AM

Who would pay Romney? You are really lost on this.

Andrew is a 22 year old blogger and self-described “moderate republican” who sits at home after class and digs through C-Span for dirt on Republicans hoping for page views. Methinks that fits in with the Dem administration’s model of how to spend your young life way more so than Romney would ever advocate.

He’s posted many vids about Romney too. The only one laughing about all this is BHO. He’s eating it up actually. Great.

Difficultas_Est_Imperium on December 22, 2011 at 9:14 AM

I imagine there’s a great wailing and gnashing of teeth going on over at Stormfront right about now. Thinking about it makes me feel all warm inside. Watching the final cataclysmic implosion of Ron Paul’s campaign is like a hot cup of cocoa on a cold winter’s day.

troyriser_gopftw on December 22, 2011 at 9:14 AM

If Paul wins the nomination, I’m voting for Obama and then taking a long, long, shower.

Obama is a disaster; Paul would be an unrecoverable disaster.

Has nothing to do with these newsletters, has everything to do with his current foreign policy.

gash on December 22, 2011 at 9:15 AM

I used to think Paulians suffered form delusion, but after reading some of the pathetic attempts at diversion over here, I am changing my diagnosis to retardation.

xxessw on December 22, 2011 at 9:16 AM

Washington Nearsider on December 22, 2011 at 9:13 AM

Michael Medved has been waiting for one for 4 years…

ebrown2 on December 22, 2011 at 9:17 AM

Dante on December 22, 2011 at 9:10 AM

“Morally responsible” being defined as “not actually taking responsiblity by, you know, actually taking responsibility.”

As an exercise of taking responsibility, it ranks right up there with saying “sorry if you were offended” as an apology.

If Paul were actually taking responsibility, he’d be dropping out of the race as the author of this crap, outing the real author assuming his stupid conspiracy theory is true (and then dropping out of the race as a hopeless incompetent), and apologizing far and wide.

He hasn’t done any of that. He’s not taking responsibility.

Seriously, Ronulans apparently view debates as reality-optional.

JohnTant on December 22, 2011 at 9:18 AM

I always knew that the Republican Party was under the control of a cabal of homosexuals. Now I have a savior who has the courage to openly state the obvious and bring back sanity to our political discourse. Now Ron Paul can… Oh no thats simply too much, I just cant do it… bwahahahahahahahaha

Valkyriepundit on December 22, 2011 at 9:18 AM

Batsh!tcrazy signal – Activate

D-fusit on December 22, 2011 at 9:18 AM

This is RIDICULOUS ALLAPUDIT!!!! You and your kooks trying to make Ron Paul a plantation owner. LOL!!!! So this is how you guys take out Sarah Palin, Herman Cain, and Ron Paul so we can settle for Soggy Milk Toast Mittens or Hazemat Suit Newt!LOL. Let’s just go ahead and put a crown on Mittens maybe he can knight you. WOW don’t you have man crush!

Capitalist75 on December 22, 2011 at 9:18 AM

itsnotaboutme on December 22, 2011 at 8:55 AM

Compassion is changing the conditions that support the neglect,desperation, & fear. Changes that are viciously fought like an undisciplined child avoiding taking a distasteful medicine…aided by race baiters and lawyers.
What steps do you suggest be taken to change the cultural mentality of being a victim or the peer pressure of being ostracized if one shows an interest of education and working within the system?
What do you do about that?

Mimzey on December 22, 2011 at 9:18 AM

Paul’s candidacy should be all but over, since this is some pretty bad racism. Of course, he would be guilty of much worse racism if he attended Jeremiah Wright’s church….

86 on December 22, 2011 at 9:18 AM

Purge Ron Paul.

We’ll take his votes, but he and like-minded followers are almost as bad as the left’s crazies.

I suppose the difference is that conservatives and the GOP ignore these people, while the left panders to its crazies.

BuckeyeSam on December 22, 2011 at 9:19 AM

Mimzey on December 22, 2011 at 9:09 AM

It’s not the statistics that are the problem, it’s the analysis.

It’d be like noting that almost all people involved in mob-related crime in NYC from 1930-1970 were of Italian descent… then stating that Italians are inherently criminal in nature.

The inner cities are awash in crime, etc. because of Socialist policies. The victims of those policies are primarily blacks. Paul states openly that somehow blacks are inherently criminal which is quite a leap… and it’s clearly a racist leap.

mankai on December 22, 2011 at 9:20 AM

Flange on December 22, 2011 at 8:49 AM

Dr. Smith from Lost in Space

Rio Linda Refugee on December 22, 2011 at 9:20 AM

a 22 Texas Tech cheerleader named Ashley?

annoyinglittletwerp on December 22, 2011 at 9:08 AM

How you doin’?

LtGenRob on December 22, 2011 at 9:21 AM

Capitalist75 on December 22, 2011 at 9:18 AM

Shooting the messenger because you don’t like the message doesn’t help.

I could be mistaken, but I doubt AP forced Ron Paul into that interview in 1995.

Difficultas_Est_Imperium on December 22, 2011 at 9:21 AM

How does this square with:

1. Paul’s repeatedly asserting that MLK is a personal hero of his? 2. Paul’s saying that he would consider Walter Williams as a running mate and that he considers Williams a personal friend?
3. His position on the War on Drugs and the death penalty that would disproportionately positively impact minorities?
4. The head of the Austin NAACP has come out and explained that he knows Paul and does nto believe him to be racist.

I was hoping Rand would run instead of his father for precisely this reason. Even though I don’t believe Paul is racist, I find the newsletters problematic, and personally discomfiting. But, there are more important things at stake here.

In the end, the smears will do what they do. But, Ed you should realize by now that No one wants Romney or Gingrich. You’re counting on only losing the Paulians for the general, but you will lose a far greater percentage of votes. Welcome to Obama 2.0.

Firefly_76 on December 22, 2011 at 9:23 AM

Capitalist75 on December 22, 2011 at 9:18 AM

The key to comprehension is actual reading. Whose name is on this post?

Ed Morrissey on December 22, 2011 at 9:23 AM

Sorry for another OT/ but Obama is going to give a speech today at 12:15 about the dire emergency of not passing a two month extension of the payroll tax “holiday.” He’s going to be surrounded by average “citizens” crying and and telling us how they can’t live without the extra 40 dollars a month. I kid you not .

sandee on December 22, 2011 at 9:24 AM

Why is JohnGalt23 not swooping in and defending ‘Doctor’ Paul?

fossten on December 22, 2011 at 9:24 AM

Oh no!

The Evil Neoconservative Establishment has created a time machine and gone back to 1995 and either bought Dr. Paul himself off, or used their brain-washing machine on him! Get the tinfoil hats!

MidniteRambler on December 22, 2011 at 9:25 AM

What I would give to have Obama vetted like this….

Kanyin on December 22, 2011 at 9:25 AM

Interesting how this all became news again after all these years as soon as it became obvious Paul could come away from Iowa with a win. I’m sure the timing is just coincidence.

Benaiah on December 22, 2011 at 9:26 AM

Seriously, F RP and his racist, anti-semitic conspiracy rants and his head-in-the-sand, terrorist-enabling, isolationist foreign policy.

I do not for one moment believe that the Paulbots will step back away from their hero-worship. The revelation that Paul knew all about his racist newsletter in 1995, and seemed quite proud of it, should keep any sensible person from voting for him.

MidniteRambler on December 22, 2011 at 9:26 AM

I wonder just how many of these true Ron Paul supporters actually know that Herr Doktor really does believe this psycho babble and agree with him. What do you think, 75%.

D-fusit on December 22, 2011 at 9:26 AM

I have never been a Ron Paul fan, and I don’t intend to vote for him in any event; but that is partly because he is just not believable. As relates to the newsletter flap, I am more inclined to hold it against him that he now denies them then if they contained his words and thoughts.

Which of the “racist” comments he is being charged with is not true, and why are they not true? People here and elsewhere are claiming the comments were racist, but is that only because they are uncomfortable to hear and/or read and they break the unwritten rules about just not saying certain things even if they are true?

MikeA on December 22, 2011 at 9:26 AM

Capitalist75 on December 22, 2011 at 9:18 AM

The key to comprehension is actual reading. Whose name is on this post?

Ed Morrissey on December 22, 2011 at 9:23 AM

Immaterial, shooting the messenger, whoever it happens to be, doesn’t change the fact that Ron himself said these things. Deflecting to HA folks is a diversion.

Difficultas_Est_Imperium on December 22, 2011 at 9:26 AM

He gets the nom, I’m moving to Denmark. The motherland is calling me home…

rollthedice on December 22, 2011 at 8:56 AM

Don’t bother. The Danes threw out the Venstre party and essentially voted the Reds in. Not much better when they’re going to jack up taxes higher than the 50%+ people pay now.

Renwaa on December 22, 2011 at 9:27 AM

The key to comprehension is actual reading. Whose name is on this post?

Ed Morrissey on December 22, 2011 at 9:23 AM

BWHAHAHAHAhAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Eat it Capitalist75!!!!

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on December 22, 2011 at 9:27 AM

BuckeyeSam on December 22, 2011 at 9:19 AM

Dream on. The current GOP will not get “his votes.” I will vote for Johnson if I have to, even though I think he’s annoying as get out and I don’t agree with his stance on abortion. I will never vote for a statist republican again, especially after the NDAA debacle. They showed their true colors. The current GOP is not for small government, and has no problem quashing civil liberties.

Firefly_76 on December 22, 2011 at 9:27 AM

Benaiah on December 22, 2011 at 9:26 AM

This isn’t a conspiracy. The simple fact of the matter is that no one HAD to address Paul’s insanity, naivete or racism before.

He never had a chance to win anything. Now that people are giving him a good look, it’s time to give him a really good look.

Washington Nearsider on December 22, 2011 at 9:28 AM

There has been a real urgency among Gingrich supporters to take down Paul. Along with that urgency, there has been selective amnesia with respect to Gingrich’s own incendiary statements. Shocked, shocked I tell ya:

1) “Really poor children, in really poor neighborhoods have no habits of working and have nobody around them who works so they have no habit of showing up on Monday. They have no habit of staying all day, they have no habit of I do this and you give me cash unless it is illegal.”

2) Spanish the “language of living in a ghetto”

3) Poll test: “But maybe we should also have a voting standard that says to vote, as a native born American, you should have to learn American history.”
“Candidly, it wouldn’t be bad to have a test like that for young Americans before they start voting.”

4) “What if Obama is so outside our comprehension, that only if you understand Kenyan, anti-colonial behavior, can you begin to piece together his actions?”

5) “Obama is the most successful food stamp President in American history.”

6) Justice Sotomayor “racist”, comments he later described as “too strong and direct.”

7) Shirley Sherrod “viciously racist”, comments he later retracted

Ala Pundit on December 22, 2011 at 9:29 AM

Oh, and Ron Paul is a lunatic and anti-semitic and blames his own country for 9/11. Never EVER could I vote for that—and since I already live outside the US (biz expat), I’ll just stay out for even longer until my countrymen can get their shiite together. You think I’m moving back being outside the system with Obamacare looming in the background??? No thanks.

What a friggin’ miserable primary season…..

Renwaa on December 22, 2011 at 9:30 AM

MikeA on December 22, 2011 at 9:26 AM

“I think we can safely assume that 95 percent of the black males in that city are semi-criminal or entirely criminal.”

We’ll just start with that.

Washington Nearsider on December 22, 2011 at 9:30 AM

Capitalist75 on December 22, 2011 at 9:18 AM

The key to comprehension is actual reading. Whose name is on this post?

Ed Morrissey on December 22, 2011 at 9:23 AM

Well, Ed, as the Paulbots have demonstrated, signing one’s name to something doesn’t have anything to do with anything in their pea-brains.

ebrown2 on December 22, 2011 at 9:31 AM

Pragmatic on December 22, 2011 at 9:00 AM

One of Romney’s extended family was in the Church Leadership; Marion G Romney, at the time the change was implemented.

link

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on December 22, 2011 at 9:31 AM

“…I think we can safely assume that 95 percent of the black males in that city are semi-criminal or entirely criminal,” Paul said.

This is NOT the candidate that we need leading the Republican Party in an election versus Barack Obama.

ITguy on December 22, 2011 at 9:31 AM

Ron Paul is wrong for America.

Happy Nomad on December 22, 2011 at 9:09 AM

There are plenty of “third” parties already in existence. If you think Paul’s ideas are crackpot, then you might be a Republican, but you are no conservative.

Dante on December 22, 2011 at 9:32 AM

All this is making me start to wonder about Rand Paul. How could be be normal with a father like this?

ctmom on December 22, 2011 at 9:34 AM

“For a man who now says that he didn’t pay any attention to the newsletters published under his own name for years, he certainly seems to be pretty conversant with its contents in 1995.”posted at 8:45 am on December 22, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

This is why Paul has never attempted to run a statewide race in Texas and why his son built his career in another state.

Texans outside his district knew bout this and this is why he is largely disregarded as a backbenchein’ craaazy ol’ coot!

Ron Paul is not a native Texan.

I’m glad these newsletters are getting national scrutiny…Finally!

workingclass artist on December 22, 2011 at 9:34 AM