Bombshell: Prominent establishment Republican endorses establishment Republican favorite

posted at 4:45 pm on December 22, 2011 by Allahpundit

This ought to help with all those tea-party voters who think Romney’s too squishy.

Follow the link for his reasoning on Romney; it’s exactly what you’d think it’d be. (And yes, despite his hedging in the piece, it’s an official endorsement.) More interesting is his non-endorsement of Gingrich:

Choosing his words carefully, the former president said he knew Gingrich relatively well. “I’m not his biggest advocate,” he said.

“I had a conflict with him at one point,” Bush recalled, alluding to the crucial moment in 1990 when a recession drove him to renege on his “no new taxes” pledge. He needed a bipartisan group of party leaders, including then-House Whip Gingrich, to stand with him.

“He was there, right outside the Oval Office. I met with all the Republican leaders, all the Democratic leaders,” Bush recalled. “The plan was, we were all going to walk out into the Rose Garden and announce this deal. Newt was right there. Got ready to go out in the Rose Garden, and I said, ‘Where’s Gingrich?’ Went up to Capitol Hill. He was here a minute ago. Went up there and started lobbying against the thing.

“He told me one time later on, he said, ‘This is the most difficult thing I ever had to do.’ I said, ‘I didn’t like it much myself, Newt.’”

Who benefits more here, Romney or Gingrich? Anyone whose vote might turn on a GHWB endorsement is already in Mitt’s corner, I assume, whereas Newt gets a boost from still-undecided base voters being reminded that he walked away from tax hikes 20 years ago even though it meant disappointing a Republican president. Conservatives love that side of him. Might matter when they’re trying to choose a Not Romney from among Gingrich, Perry, and Bachmann.

Here he is last night in New Hampshire with a withering anti-Romney pitch: “Please don’t turn America into Massachusetts.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Whoever believes that Bush Sr was a good president needs to have his or her head examined. The guy has appointed David Souter, for chrissake!

Archivarix on December 22, 2011 at 6:54 PM

Dr. Tesla on December 22, 2011 at 6:51 PM

you only referenced one of three things. cat cut your tongue?

gerrym51 on December 22, 2011 at 6:55 PM

gerry,

You are just one vote. Vote for whoever you like. You won’t swing the election to Romney.

This is a forum to share our opinions. I’m not anti-you if you happen to support Romney. It’s not personal.

Dr. Tesla on December 22, 2011 at 6:56 PM

Bush Sr. probably loses to Clinton even with no Perot, based on the analysis that I’ve read.

Dr. Tesla on December 22, 2011 at 6:51 PM

I hesistate to believe that – because it seemed to me that most of Perot’s supporters came from the Republican side. I was one of them, and nearly everyone I knew voted for Perot. But we wouldn’t have voted for the Democrat. The memory of Carter’s Democrat presidency was only 11 years removed. I would think that the Perot voters would have gone 2 to 1 to Bush, giving Clinton about 47% of the vote, with Bush squeaking it out.

But I haven’t read the numbers you’ve read.

cane_loader on December 22, 2011 at 6:56 PM

Bush Sr. and Romney are a lot alike in terms of accomplisments as politicians.

Bush Sr raised taxes and did little else.

Romney implemented Romneycare and did little else.

Dr. Tesla on December 22, 2011 at 6:57 PM

Bush SR would have won easily if he had not raised taxes.

He got all caught up in this being nice to liberals and working with them thing, and he paid the price for it.

Dr. Tesla on December 22, 2011 at 7:01 PM

Tesla can’t understand why Romney won’t call Obama a socialist.

I don’t understand how anyone smart enough to be a doctor could be as stupid as Tesla and I’m not sure Tesla will understand this but let me try to explain. Unlike you Tesla, Romney understands that everyone who could be persuaded that Obama is a socialist is already voting against him.

Secondly, calling Obama a socialist would cause a media firestorm which would cause some people who might otherwise not support Obama to do so, and would cause other people who might be inclined to vote for Romney not to.

So he’s not calling Obama a socialist because his IQ is at least 50 points higher than yours Tesla. There is nothing to gain and certainly something to lose by calling Obama a socialist.

Basilsbest on December 22, 2011 at 7:01 PM

The only time I sat out a Presidential election was Bush Sr’s second run. I’ve been saying if Romney is nominated, I will sit out this one too. Looks like this just confirms my evaluation of Romney.

The GOP establishment has lost its way. Third party anyone?

Over50 on December 22, 2011 at 7:03 PM

Basil,

What you don’t understand is that Romney has not won this nomination yet.

You can claim he’s the smartest man in the world all day (brown nosing) but it seems to me he already got the moderate vote locked up within our primary so why doesn’t he move to the right a little and pick up some support there?

Your own argument has just applied to Romney.

Dr. Tesla on December 22, 2011 at 7:04 PM

Dr. Tesla on December 22, 2011 at 6:51 PM

But I haven’t read the numbers you’ve read.

cane_loader on December 22, 2011 at 6:56 PM

My husband and I were two of the Republican voters who went to Perot. In hindsight, Perot was correct when he talked about “that sucking sound” and anyone who thinks Romney won’t continue the policies started under Poppy and put on steroids under Clinton is smoking some of Ron Paul’s funny stuff.

Rapunzel on December 22, 2011 at 7:05 PM

Mitt Romney must be defeated.

CoolChange80 on December 22, 2011 at 7:05 PM

Romney’s got nobody to blame if he loses because he choose to run as a moderate and he does deserve to lose as one. He needs to own the consequences of that.

Dr. Tesla on December 22, 2011 at 7:07 PM

He’s a great American, but as President Bush 41 pissed all over Reagan’s legacy.

Daemonocracy on December 22, 2011 at 7:08 PM

INC on December 22, 2011 at 5:23 PM

I disagree. If anything, Romney is the least establishment. He had his stint as governor of Massachusetts and that was it. Perry has been in the TX government since ’84 and Gingrich has been in Congress from ’78 to ’98 (and has been involved since then while not holding office).

There are arguments, in my opinion, for both Perry and Romney being non-establishment. Gingrich, however, is the poster boy of the establishment.

(full disclosure, I’m a Paul supporter and hold no allegiances to Perry, Romney nor Gingrich)

gyrmnix on December 22, 2011 at 7:08 PM

Bush SR would have won easily if he had not raised taxes.

Dr. Tesla on December 22, 2011 at 7:01 PM

I disagree. Granted that didn’t help, but Bush squandered the high ratings he enjoyed after the first Gulf War in more ways than “read my lips.”… and we were as anxious to send him packing as most of us are Obama… there was a whole lot of people who resented him stopping short of Baghdad, too, and if he hadn’t listened to Colin Powell, we might not have been embroiled in the last ten years of conflict.

Rapunzel on December 22, 2011 at 7:09 PM

When you admit Gingrich cant win a general election you will have to get behind Mitt. Gingrich isnt going to win the nomination.
Mitt will face the Obamanation in Novemeber, Mitt is the guy.

ObamatheMessiah on December 22, 2011 at 7:09 PM

Basilsbest on December 22, 2011 at 7:01 PM

The reason it’s probably not a good idea to bluntly call 0bama a socialist is because 90% of Americans don’t know what the word means – they just have a vague idea that it’s bad and sort of like calling someone a “commie” and so seems extreme to them, because surely this handsome black man couldn’t be an extreme person, and it’s not nice to call names.

When I taught economics, my students used to cry about how “hard” the section on “Capitalism/Socialism/Communism” was. They could never learn the difference.

cane_loader on December 22, 2011 at 7:10 PM

The thing I find amusing about moderates like Romney is they get to define what moderation is.

Per Romney,
Calling Obama a failure is not bomb throwing.

Calling Obama a socialist is bomb throwing.

Other moderates would argue calling Obama a failure is bomb throwing. Afterall, who is to say what the economic situation would be if Romney had been president the past 3 years? Obama can just say he’s been a victim of a downturn in the economy and the economy is cyclic and it has it’s ups and downs. He’s a smart guy in a tough situation who did the best he could. That doesn’t mean he’s a failure.

If you refuse to tie Obama’s political worldview to him and the state of the economy, he will be able to make arguments like this.

Dr. Tesla on December 22, 2011 at 7:12 PM

The real question: Who is Ms Barbara endorsing??..:)

Dire Straits on December 22, 2011 at 7:12 PM

I don’t think anybody currently out of work thinks calling Obama a socialist is too extreme and thus would vote for him over somebody not Obama. :)

Dr. Tesla on December 22, 2011 at 7:12 PM

I question the IQ of a student who finds it too difficult to see a difference b/t Capitalism and Collectivist views like Socialism and Communism.

Dr. Tesla on December 22, 2011 at 7:14 PM

Congrats, Mitt … you’re really racking up the endorsements from the RINO class.

SheVee on December 22, 2011 at 7:14 PM

ha

kunegetikos on December 22, 2011 at 7:15 PM

Rapunzel on December 22, 2011 at 7:09 PM

No one ever says this, but I think you nailed it. The nation, myself included, was resentful that Bush riled us all up and sent us back to war for the first time since Vietnam, stirring up all kind of old memories, and then chickened out within spitting distance of Baghdad and didn’t let us win the war.

I lost all respect for Bush that night he announced on TV that the war was “over.” I was in the newsroom where I worked, and everyone aorund was cheering and high-fiving, but I was the one standing there, staring, slowly shaking my head side to side, saying, in my best Han Solo “got a bad feeling” voice, “No, it isn’t over. We didn’t win. He should have kept going. You watch – we are going to have to go back there and fight the war all over again down the line, and next time it’s going to be worse.”

I wish I could find some of those folks now, just to see if they remember my party-pooping prediction. Everyone thought I was being a drag, while they were celebrating. If you set out to kill the king, then kill the king.

cane_loader on December 22, 2011 at 7:16 PM

Bush SR would have won easily if he had not raised taxes.

Dr. Tesla on December 22, 2011 at 7:01 PM

Rapunzel on December 22, 2011 at 7:09 PM

The economy was bad. A bad economy hurts an incumbent more than a good economy helps an incumbent. If the economy is bad, a challenger pretty much just needs to pass the credibility test to win. That’s what happened with Reagen and that’s what happened with Clinton.

ghostwriter on December 22, 2011 at 7:18 PM

yes but thats precisly why bush loss in 1992. republican voters going for perot

gerrym51 on December 22, 2011 at 7:19 PM

This Bush knew better than to try nation building in Iraq.

Beat ‘em and beat it.

Repeat as needed.

But don’t build up stronger Islamic states.

profitsbeard on December 22, 2011 at 7:19 PM

I think if Mitt was going to be the eventual nominee, he would have pulled away in the polls long ago.

I tend to think Newt is going to pull it out at this point…he’s weathered the negative attacks as well as anybody.

I don’t see the father of Obamacare in Romney winning the nomination this year, but who knows? I didn’ thtink McCain was going to win it in 2008 either, but he did have more enthusiastic fans than ROmney seems to.

Dr. Tesla on December 22, 2011 at 7:20 PM

I do think if Mitt wins it, we do need to implement a primary run-off. This guy can’t win a majority of Republican votes in primary with a run-off. I think a lot of conservatives hate Romney b/c he’s viablity is the result of a divided conservative vote, not anything he has done.

Dr. Tesla on December 22, 2011 at 7:23 PM

Romney is the obvious choice to beat Obama, and Romney will make an excellent president.

bluegill on December 22, 2011 at 5:15 PM

he’s the obvious choice to beat Zero because of all the elections he has won?

8 weight on December 22, 2011 at 7:27 PM

cane_loader on December 22, 2011 at 7:16 PM

as a result everyone thought Colin Powell was a genius (how has THAT worked out for the GOP) and it led to the general who was the real genius of that “skirmish” (Schwartzkopf) to retire. There was absolutely no reason to stop short of Baghdad and much of the hatred toward us in that region comes from us leaving everything unfinished in 1991. #41 thought he was going to be a huge hero, but he went from hero to zero because between that and his subsequent actions he plumeted in the ratings… and don’t forget Perot already hated him, so him deciding to run against #41 was not a huge leap.

and…yes… the economy was bad, poppy did nothing to make it better and more than anything did everything to prove how out of touch he was with us little guys — which is why his endorsement of Romney or someone like Perry is not a surprise at all; WHY would he endorse a “peon” over money bags Romney? Also he served in congress with Romney’s daddy….. they go way back, sort of like Obams’s mommy and and Geithner’s daddy over in Indonesia, politics is rife with nepotism.

Rapunzel on December 22, 2011 at 7:28 PM

bluegill on December 22, 2011 at 5:15 PM

based on what? exactly? His “excellent” record in MA where he was not going to be re-elected to a second term? Where he was called “governor absent” as he was out of the state more than he was present… You DO realize that Romneycare was his brainchild (tell me you do know this much about him)….

Rapunzel on December 22, 2011 at 7:31 PM

cane_loader on December 22, 2011 at 7:10 PM

seriously?

8 weight on December 22, 2011 at 7:32 PM

Bush endorsing Romney. A loser endorsing a loser. Meh.

The Gingrich video had me cheering.

Conservchik on December 22, 2011 at 7:32 PM

If Mitt called Obama a socialist, Ed Morrissey would have a long dissertation, with photos, explaining why this was proof positive that Romney was desperate. This would be followed by 750 one line anti-Romney rants from the hoi polloi.

Basilsbest on December 22, 2011 at 7:33 PM

Dr. Tesla on December 22, 2011 at 7:20 PM

Newt isn’t going to win. Most likely, the nominee will be Romney.

If Newt does manage to win, he’ll lose in the general. Considering the resentment from Americans toward the bailouts, do you think the people will happen to overlook his dealings with Freddie Mac? Will Gingrich, who has previously supported an individual mandate, be able to lead a charge against it? Remember, Gingrich left his seat in disgrace in ’98. Do you think Democrats wont dig that past up? The attacks against Newt has been relatively tame. They won’t be in the general.

If I were to vote purely on who could win the general election, I’d be voting for Romney.

gyrmnix on December 22, 2011 at 7:35 PM

i agree accept it would be 1500 one lines

gerrym51 on December 22, 2011 at 7:37 PM

Exactly. Bush 41 left a festering wound that was guaranteed to blow up. Clinton really should have solved it, though, one way or the other. And I absolutely loathe Colin Powell, and always have. Overly political general – finger in the wind. Slimy isn’t even the word for him. I cringe everytime I see his smug mug.

Rapunzel on December 22, 2011 at 7:28 PM

Yep, 41 thinks that Mitt is “one of us.”

cane_loader on December 22, 2011 at 7:38 PM

I’m waiting for McCain’s daughter’s endorsement.

Schadenfreude on December 22, 2011 at 7:39 PM

Rapunzel on December 22, 2011 at 7:28 PM

if i didn’t know better I’d say you don’t like Mitt

gerrym51 on December 22, 2011 at 7:39 PM

Rapunzel on December 22, 2011 at 7:28 PM

41 didn’t want to nation-build, but he didn’t want to finish the war either. He was afraid of leaving a power vacuum that Iran would exploit. But you can’t have your cake and eat it too. If you invade a country, you have to finish the job, and leave it stable. If Saddam hadn’t invaded Kuwait, we could have left him alone – but we couldn’t allow him to monopolize that much of the world’s oil.

41 should have cleaned out Saddam, cleaned it up, and left, and 9/11 likely would never have happened. From that day in the newsroom basement, I alway had a feeling that we were going to pay for that unfinished war in blood. 9/11 was the price.

cane_loader on December 22, 2011 at 7:42 PM

Gingrich has real accomplishments can he can point to, like balanced budgets, welfare reform, opposition to Bush Sr. tax hike.

All Romney has is RomneyCare and his support for a ban on assault weapons in Mass.

I think conservative accomplishments is what should matter to voters, not Gingrich’s deviations and flaws.

Nobody says Gingrich is perfect or even in the top 100 of preferred candidates. I and others just think he’s preferable to Romney, a man of no conservative accomplishements and a man that seems to disdain conservatives more than Obama in general. Plus you threw in the fact he seems out of touch with his 10,000 bet in a debate along with his out of the mainstream religion, and you have all the ingrediants of your typical Republican loser.

Dr. Tesla on December 22, 2011 at 7:43 PM

I don’t see any bias for or against any candidate by the Hotair pundits, outside of Ron Paul.

They’ve been pretty objective across the board. If they are completely in the tank for Newt, I haven’t seen it.

Dr. Tesla on December 22, 2011 at 7:45 PM

I think the American people could hold their nose and vote for Romney, especially if they don’t look too close. He presents well, seems competent, and I think a majority do want to replace 0bama, if the replacement seems competent and moderate.

We’ll see how it plays out, and I still support Newt, but we may have to accept Romney as the price for getting rid of 0bama. That’s a price I’d pay.

cane_loader on December 22, 2011 at 7:46 PM

I and others just think he’s preferable to Romney,

[snip]

Dr. Tesla on December 22, 2011 at 7:43 PM

Yes, preferable to conservatives. But Romney looks better, and a lot of voters are too busy with their lives to get into the details. To the undereducated voter, Romney comes across as smart, calm, moderate and predictable. We could use a little predictability after the stomach-churning ride we’ve all been on with 0bama. The business world sure could.

cane_loader on December 22, 2011 at 7:49 PM

We don’t have to accept Romney until he’s the nominee. We can cross that bridge when we get there.

A lot of Romney supporters act like he’s entitled to it. He’s got to earn it like everybody else.

Dr. Tesla on December 22, 2011 at 7:51 PM

It has to be said again and again. Once Paul starts his whiny-voice arm-flapping thing even once against 0bama, the public would peg him as the crazy uncle. Ron Paul cannot – repeat, cannot beat Barack 0bama. Take that to the bank.

cane_loader on December 22, 2011 at 7:51 PM

Dr. Tesla on December 22, 2011 at 7:51 PM

I agree with you 100%.

cane_loader on December 22, 2011 at 7:52 PM

I disagree, I think Gingrich has looked much better, more confident in the debates than Romney has.

You just repeating what Romney fans have said a million times. That he’s more likeable and presents himself better than anybody else in the field. It’s just not true.

If fear rules your world, Romney tends to be your candidate.

Dr. Tesla on December 22, 2011 at 7:52 PM

Yep, 41 thinks that Mitt is “one of us.”

cane_loader on December 22, 2011 at 7:38 PM

Blue bloods all flock together. They think the rest of us GOP voters think the same as them, but not all of us are cut from the same cloth, most of us just want jobs and government to butt out of our lives.

Rapunzel on December 22, 2011 at 7:54 PM

I guess this puts the end to all of the Jeb Bush rumors.

ZGMF_Freedom on December 22, 2011 at 7:55 PM

cane_loader on December 22, 2011 at 7:51 PM

The people supporting Ron Paul is the same group we see in the OWS protests.

Rapunzel on December 22, 2011 at 7:55 PM

I was hoping that Ron Paul would excuse his racist newsletters by wrapping himself up in the Constitution and somehow making it about American foreign policy in the Middle East.

For such an opinionated guy, he sure doesn’t want to talk about those newsletters. :)

Dr. Tesla on December 22, 2011 at 7:58 PM

Not sure what there is to see, here.
Really no surprise.

listens2glenn on December 22, 2011 at 8:03 PM

Who would Reagan endorse? I’m not sure (as none of you are, either), but getting an endorsement from Reagan’s VP has its merits.

acorn on December 22, 2011 at 5:01 PM

lol. Oh, wait, you were serious.

cptacek on December 22, 2011 at 8:05 PM

Redford,

How can you logically argue Newt is establishment when nearly all of those people are anti-Newt and pro-Romney? I would contend Barbour is part of the establishment.

I’ve been saying for the past week or so that at best Romney’s going to be a Bush Sr type of president. That will mean stuff like tax hikes and doing little about ObamaCare.

What I don’t understand is why being conservative makes you a bomb thrower by default. That seems to be what Romney/McCain/ Bush Sr Republicans seem to imply.

Dr. Tesla on December 22, 2011 at 5:00 PM

Hey Dr Tesla
Gov Romney was Mass Gov. Spent most of his life in private industry. What has Newt done? Spent his entire life in DC. Even a lobbyist for Fannie/Freddie…no matter how he spins it, Newt made money off you..if you pay taxes.

Romney will be a good president. He is smart and even smarter to surround himself with smarter people. He appeals to Independents voters. Romney can defeat Obama. We make changes one election at a time.

If the country wants to change course and put us back on track, we pick Romney, if Newt wins..Obama wins by a landslide; however, if the country has become totally brainwashed by the Dem propaganda machine and their media prop..Obama finishes what is left of America. They choose socialism.

Voters are scarier than Obama. It’s not Obama that is scary to me, it’s the people who voted for him.

Redford on December 22, 2011 at 8:06 PM

If fear rules your world, Romney tends to be your candidate.

Dr. Tesla on December 22, 2011 at 7:52 PM

No, I’m not parroting Romney supporters. I’m pretty good at role-playing and at putting myself in other people’s shoes. WHen I put myself in the shoes of the undereducated casual voter, way too many will pick Romney because he’s physically more attractive than Gingrich and doesn’t have rhetorical edges as sharp as Gingrich. Romney is suaver than Gingrich – and that counts a lot with people who would rather be watching “X Factor” instead of paying attention to which man should be president.

cane_loader on December 22, 2011 at 8:06 PM

Awe, man….WTH!

I’ve heard Bush41 is a reptilian anyway. You know those guys that transform into lizards & such.

Perry 2012!

purgatory on December 22, 2011 at 8:08 PM

Moderate Republicans expect conservatives to be robots who vote for whoever the candidate is.

yes we do
gerrym51 on December 22, 2011 at 6:29 PM

—————

yes but thats precisly why bush loss in 1992. republican voters going for perot
gerrym51 on December 22, 2011 at 7:19 PM

Why can’t you learn this lesson? You expect conservatives to vote for your candidate, but you have a great history lesson right here where conservatives did NOT vote for the moderate HW Bush, and he lost. Repeat?

cptacek on December 22, 2011 at 8:11 PM

i agree accept it would be 1500 one lines

gerrym51 on December 22, 2011 at 7:37 PM

Amen to that. I used to think Ed Morrissey was a thoughtful blogger but after his post today about how Mitt needed to man up and accept Newt’s offer to debate where the topic, according to Newt would be the negative ads, and comparing it to Mitt’s offer to dummy Perry when Perry was lying about his book….Ed lost me.

Ed’s posts have declined significantly and now he is just another sad anybody-but-Romney guy who is constantly grasping for straws.

Fortunately, I have recently found Jennifer Rubin and so I have found a place for daily intelligent conservative opinions. I just venture over here now to see what the dumber part of the party, the bomb-throwers, are stammering and sputtering about.

Jailbreak on December 22, 2011 at 8:23 PM

cptacek on December 22, 2011 at 8:11 PM

my point is no conservative 3rd parties, just liberal ones like ralph nader

gerrym51 on December 22, 2011 at 8:30 PM

Its doubtful anyone here cares what conservatives call Obama. The problem which you dont seem to realize is that its not only Hot Gas voters who will decide the election. Mitt needs moderates and independents as well and if you haven’t noticed, he’s never lost his lead among them.

Go RBNY on December 22, 2011 at 6:09 PM

You mean like in the 2008 primary polls when he lost to John McCain? Yeah I am sure he had some pretty numbers then too, but that’s all they are numbers. Romney didn’t win the last republican primary. It’s been a long time since Romney has won anything, and he has a loss to Teddy Kennedy in Massachusetts so he couldn’t out liberal Ted Kennedy, how is he going to out liberal Obama? And still manage to carry the republican’s base? Better to run as the alternative to the liberal not the liberal’s clone.

It matters that the republican candidates points out that Obama is not really a liberal but a progressive leftist? It would turn off Independents? Obama’s predilection to wealth redistribution (socialism) would be news to everyone, but Mitt Romney’s campaign manager/

Dr Evil on December 22, 2011 at 8:30 PM

Jennifer Rubin is the biggest shill for Romney, so if you like in-the-tank-for Romney non-objective political analysis of this primary, Rubin is defintely your gal.

Dr. Tesla on December 22, 2011 at 8:31 PM

Well I think there are also a lot of voters who will vote against Romney only because he is more handsome.

Romney’s got this teacher’s pet vibe going, and I think that’s a turnoff for a lot of voters.

Dr. Tesla on December 22, 2011 at 8:33 PM

If Newtie poo wins the nomination, he should come out to the podium for his speech with the Stone’s Sympathy For the Devil playing, just to make people like Ann Coutler and Jennifer Rubin’s heads explode.

Dr. Tesla on December 22, 2011 at 8:35 PM

Dr. Tesla on December 22, 2011 at 8:37 PM

This is the same Bush ’41 that “adopted” Bill Clinton as his son.

Mahdi on December 22, 2011 at 8:38 PM

as you know i;m a mittbot. Jennifer Rubin is a shill for Romney.
but she is also correct.

gerrym51 on December 22, 2011 at 8:43 PM

Wow, I voted for Perot in 1992 instead of “read my lips”. Why do I care who he endorses. For all his faults Bush 43 was far superior to Bush 41. Look at the SCOTUS appointments alone for comparison

And Barb Bush said Palin should stay in Alaska. Pox on both of them.

They fail to recognize that this election needs someone with a spine – not a squishy wet noodle like mittens.

karenhasfreedom on December 22, 2011 at 8:44 PM

as you know i;m a mittbot. Jennifer Rubin is a shill for Romney.
but she is also correct. sounds like nails on a chalk board.

gerrym51 on December 22, 2011 at 8:43 PM

Dr Evil on December 22, 2011 at 8:48 PM

Bombshell: Prominent blogger and Gingrich/Perry/Bachmann/Anybody-but-Romney supporter not too keen on Romney.

rogaineguy on December 22, 2011 at 9:16 PM

The perfect picture of exactly what is horrendously wrong with the GOP–Bush endorses Romney–RINOs sticking together. I’m beginning to think it doesn’t matter a twit which Party has control of the WH. A perfect example is the Reid and McConnell collusion to thwart the House Republicans and give the Democrats a big win both in legislation and spin. The Republicans can’t be this stupid, these destructive acts by Reid and McConnell in the Senate negating and rendering the Republican Majority in the House impotent have to be intentional.

aposematic on December 22, 2011 at 10:11 PM

The Bush family has done more to damage to the legacy of Ronald Reagan than even democrats due to their incompetence and their crony capitalistic vision of America. May the GOP never pick another.

William Eaton on December 22, 2011 at 10:39 PM

The Bushes have always been against Perry…..they’ve been working behind the scenes from the beginning. Past (probs still active)connections at Fox, Karl Rove, etc. and now this.

Not surprised.

Then, there is this. Fox isn’t going to give Perry a fair shake. Ever. They are turncoats only interested in their ratings and their pay grade per Roger Ailes.

Plus, Fox and Clear Channel are business partners, and Clear Channel Communications, Inc. — a media conglomerate is now owned by Mitt Romney’s Bain Capital, LLC

Clear Channel has a contracts with Hannity, Rush, John Gibson, Bill O’Reilly Laura Ingraham and had one with Glenn Beck (notice he’s gone?)

avagreen on December 22, 2011 at 10:44 PM

I’m surprised nobody’s mentioned Bush Sr.’s attacks on our Second Amendment rights, some of the most blatant in our nation’s history.

Dunedainn on December 22, 2011 at 11:41 PM

Bush Sr. just endorsed Flip Romney because he knows that Obama will beat him. This will set up Jeb’s “turn” in 2016.

RedRobin145 on December 23, 2011 at 12:05 AM

RedRobin145 on December 23, 2011 at 12:05 AM

He wouldn’t do something as devious as that. That would be like pledging to not raise taxes, then raising them.

swinia sutki on December 23, 2011 at 7:01 AM

If I was Romney I would have said, no thanks.

It just shows how out of touch Romney is.

Bush 41 raised taxes and lied about it, trashed Israel, added massive environmental regulations, etc etc etc..

People voting for Romney obviously want policies like Bush 41

georgealbert on December 23, 2011 at 8:20 AM

avagreen on December 22, 2011 at 10:44 PM

Awwwwwww…..wadda madder? Do your ovaries hurt?

csdeven on December 23, 2011 at 8:35 AM

Jailbreak on December 22, 2011 at 8:23 PM

Ed is a Perry fan as far as I can tell, so I figure he’s a bit disappointed. I do however have every confidence that he will return to his old self after the nomination.

csdeven on December 23, 2011 at 8:37 AM

There is only one statement of Jesse Jackson that I wholeheartedly agree with:

“Stay out of dem Bushes” …..

wraithby on December 23, 2011 at 10:19 AM

President Herbert Walker Bush resides in Houston but politically at heart he is a Susan Collins, Northeastern Republican. This is no surprise. I like the man but he never would have been a Tea Party or a true conservative favorite. Just trying to figure out if his endorsement helps or hurts the former Governor of Mass. Certainly doesn’t send any tingles up my leg.

Old Coach on December 23, 2011 at 10:19 AM

“I think if onnly a moderate like Romney can beat a lousy president like Obama, the Republican Party is on the verge of going away.”

Dr. Tesla, you just hit the nail squarely on the head.

Old Coach on December 23, 2011 at 10:29 AM

avagreen on December 22, 2011 at 10:44 PM

Awwwwwww…..wadda madder? Do your ovaries hurt?

csdeven on December 23, 2011 at 8:35 AM

No, csdeven, but it seems your testicles are.

avagreen on December 23, 2011 at 11:50 AM

“I just think he’s mature and reasonable – not a bomb-thrower.”

—————————————————————–

Romney is far from “Mature and Reasonalbe” as a matter of fact he is I would be enclined to exchange mature and reasonable with say “FLIP AND FLOPPER”, but one really can’t hold this against Mr. Bush after all his is old and is obviously suffering from a touch of dementia.

RiCkY.D. on December 23, 2011 at 11:53 AM