Video: “The Hobbit” trailer

posted at 3:59 pm on December 21, 2011 by Allahpundit

I won’t even call it a palate cleanser. The holiday slowdown being what it is, this is probably the biggest news story of the day.

Something like 98 percent of our readers, I expect, know and care more about the LOTR series than I do so I’ll spare you the perfunctory run-through of the movie’s tortured production history, Jackson’s use of a higher frame rate for hyperclarity, etc etc. Even if I can’t share the excitement, I can understand it: The buzz reminds me of the anticipation we all felt for “The Phantom Menace” before we saw it and realized Lucas had apparently suffered a grievous head injury in the years since “Return of the Jedi.” Jackson’s follow-up can’t possibly disappoint the way that film did. Looks like a fanboy’s dream come true.

I’d be remiss if I didn’t note that a bunch of dwarves taking an epic journey to reclaim a lost kingdom from an evil dragon sounds an awful lot like the narrative of the election. Mitt Romney = Bilbo Baggins?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

The hobbit political analogy

The dwaves – tihe republican presidential hopefulls

Bilbo thieir front runner

In dec 2012. My precious will realize his reelection is toast and the ring gone

audiotom on December 21, 2011 at 11:39 PM

How many have read the ” silmarillion”?

It’s been years but I really enjoyed it after a hundred pages or so

Sonosam on December 21, 2011 at 9:09 PM

Epic book. A bit hard to get into, but once you’re in, it’s stunning. Hauntingly tragic stories.

cane_loader on December 22, 2011 at 12:22 AM

The hobbit political analogy

The dwaves – tihe republican presidential hopefulls

Bilbo thieir front runner

In dec 2012. My precious will realize his reelection is toast and the ring gone

audiotom on December 21, 2011 at 11:39 PM

Yup, there are trolls in the story as well.

applebutter on December 22, 2011 at 1:11 AM

Actually, the current situation is more like The Lord of The Rings. President Obama is Gollum. The One Ring is Obamacare. In order to save the world, The Fellowship (Newt would be the Dwarf, Bachman would be the Elf, Legolas, Romney would be the human Boromir, Perry would be Aragorn, Ron Paul, Huntsman, Santorum and Johnson would be the Hobbits) must make it through Middle Earth and into Mordor (Washington D.C.) in order to destroy The One Ring (Obamacare). They have to make it past the giant spider Shelob (played by Nancy Pelosi), the evil wizard Saruman (Harry Reid), lots of Orcs (Democrats) and the trolls (Occupy Wall Street) in order to destroy the ring in Mount Doom (The Capitol Building).

I wish that I had the equipment to edit this together because it would be an awesome, awesome 10 minute You-Tube video.

The helpful Elves that they visit could be played by Palin (as the Elf Queen Galadriel), Chris Christie, Jeb Bush and Bobby Jindal.

Oh, and the Ring Wraiths could be played by The Clintons and Joe Biden. :) :) :)

Now, if I can just figure out who would play Gandalf. Jim DeMint? Perfect. :) :) :)

Theophile on December 22, 2011 at 1:19 AM

Jackson couldn’t resist putting a few handsome dwarves in there, I see. My main gripe about his LOTR movies was the casting of Frodo. The actor was too young for the character. (In my opinion, the actors portraying Merry, Pippen and Sam were too young as well, although those three did a great job.) Frodo was a hairy little fifty-something hobbit, not a little doe-eyed girly boy! His scenes with Sam are just a little too Bromantic for me. The best casting decision in my opinion was Ian McKellan as Gandalf. I thought he was perfect. I like the casting here of young Bilbo – I’m so glad he didn’t go with another pretty face who is totally unbelievable as a Hobbit. But based on the casting of the previous movies I’m not surprised that some of the Dwarves here look like they’re another race while others look like action heroes. i look forward to seeing the Beorn character. I wonder if he’ll leave Tom Bombadil out…

Dork B. on December 22, 2011 at 8:20 AM

I could never stand reading TOlkien. Hated it. Too wordy for me.
However, I always loved the story.
And LOTR I found perfectly enjoyable. Which I plan to rewatch on our new 43″plasma Samsung with kicking stero (the early 80s RCA cabinet TV is going to the thrift store!).
I remember watching the Hobbit cartoon with my mom & we loved it.
This, I think, will be great!
I cannot wait!

I’m wondering how many other people on this site who will rush out to see this film are ex-Advanced Dungeons & Dragons nerds like me?

DRayRaven on December 21, 2011 at 4:05 PM

I had to read through the comments to see if any veteran posters outed themselves.
I have already outed myself a long while back.
I was that nerd.
But as a woman, who likes manly men, it was certainly interesting to be a female DM.
I was old D&D & only graduated onward to 2nd edition, which I found to be great.
But I quit RPGs bcs I found other things to pass my time, like becoming a science teacher & a cowboy/rancher’s wife/unpaid hired hand.
There’s just too many things to do & my fantasy days are over, willingly.
Plus, one of my very very good friends, who died years ago cinched it for me.
I can never play again without that old friend.
I instead to prefer to reminisce on occasion about our fantastic fictional adventures.
I have kept all of my materials, dice, books, character sheets, old painted lead miniatures, etc.
Good good times with friends.
Now I ride my horse & teach kids AGW is BS.

Badger40 on December 22, 2011 at 8:24 AM

Theophile on December 22, 2011 at 1:19 AM

Oh ho!
You are the One True Nerd.
LOL!
JK there Theo.
Merry Christmas!

Badger40 on December 22, 2011 at 8:32 AM

I am an absolute Tolkien nut – and can’t wait to see this movie. I have all the theatrical and extended (including Blu-ray) versions of the movie… even the “gift sets.” (PLUS, I carry all three extended digital copy films with me on my iPad! – Sick, I know…) However, I was bummed that I didn’t know about the Official Lord of the Rings Fan Club and getting my name listed on the closing credits of the extended editions!!!

I keep trying to find out if there is an official fan club for The Hobbit – any info you zealots can provide is appreciated!

Logic on December 22, 2011 at 8:53 AM

Jackson’s movie completely left out the battle of the Shire, after Frodo, Sam, Merry, and Pippin return from Aragorn’s coronation, to find that Saruman has enslaved the hobbits, and the four hobbits who have fought for Men in foreign lands (Rohan, Gondor, and Mordor) have to lead a revolution to save their own people. In the book, Frodo is an unwilling warrior, and tries to avoid violence, but is forced to kill Saruman with his own hands…

Steve Z on December 21, 2011 at 6:45 PM

You know…

This is a great premise for an entire movie. One could make an entire sequel based solely on the battle of the Shire.

That would be pretty neat, I think.

Lawrence on December 22, 2011 at 9:31 AM

Old Tom Bombadil is a merry fellow
Bright blue his jacket is, and his boots are yellow.

Dino V on December 22, 2011 at 9:32 AM

Romney’s a little too eager to be Bilbo.

raxx on December 22, 2011 at 10:16 AM

I watched the trailer yesterday, so excited to see it, but my first thought was “that’s not what the dwarves are supposed to look like.” Still can’t wait to see it, though I have no doubt it will annoy me when the movie strays from the book, or like in LOTR when Jackson gave some great lines to the wrong character.

toby11 on December 21, 2011 at 9:50 PM

Just do what we all did for J.J. Abrams’ Star Trek: Click your heels three times while chanting “Alternate universe. Alternate universe.”

catsandbooks on December 22, 2011 at 12:03 PM

I’m happy that this movie is going to happen. I was worried that Jackson would not be involved or would pull a Lucas. After seeing this, I’m hopeful. Looks like it will be a fun movie!

RDH on December 22, 2011 at 7:23 PM