Video: “The Hobbit” trailer

posted at 3:59 pm on December 21, 2011 by Allahpundit

I won’t even call it a palate cleanser. The holiday slowdown being what it is, this is probably the biggest news story of the day.

Something like 98 percent of our readers, I expect, know and care more about the LOTR series than I do so I’ll spare you the perfunctory run-through of the movie’s tortured production history, Jackson’s use of a higher frame rate for hyperclarity, etc etc. Even if I can’t share the excitement, I can understand it: The buzz reminds me of the anticipation we all felt for “The Phantom Menace” before we saw it and realized Lucas had apparently suffered a grievous head injury in the years since “Return of the Jedi.” Jackson’s follow-up can’t possibly disappoint the way that film did. Looks like a fanboy’s dream come true.

I’d be remiss if I didn’t note that a bunch of dwarves taking an epic journey to reclaim a lost kingdom from an evil dragon sounds an awful lot like the narrative of the election. Mitt Romney = Bilbo Baggins?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Hobbit trailer? Is this another John McCain joke?

HopeHeFails on December 21, 2011 at 4:01 PM

I figure a Hobbit trailer would be double-wide, but with a low ceiling.

The Rogue Tomato on December 21, 2011 at 4:01 PM

giggity giggity…ALLright!

Daemonocracy on December 21, 2011 at 4:02 PM

Allah, What took so long? I watched it from the Headlines this morning wondering when you would post it.

I am excited about this now. I didn’t realize it was coming in a year. Too bad we’ll never see the second half since the world ends on 12/31/12.

jeffn21 on December 21, 2011 at 4:02 PM

Mitt Romney = Bilbo Baggins?

He’s more like gollum, he won’t give up his precious mandate in MA.

lorien1973 on December 21, 2011 at 4:03 PM

Mitt Romney = Grima Wormtongue. Maybe not as bad as Sauron and Saruman, but still…

On topic: Gonna be an awesome movie, or rather two movies. Looking forward to Jackson getting a hold of the rights to The Silmarillion.

Atlas on December 21, 2011 at 4:03 PM

Man, my Canon 5D only does 30 frames max :{ !!!

blatantblue on December 21, 2011 at 4:03 PM

So rad!

gaius on December 21, 2011 at 4:04 PM

I don’t care. At all.

I am the 2%.

stevezilla on December 21, 2011 at 4:04 PM

Too bad we’ll never see the second half since the world ends on 12/31/12.

jeffn21 on December 21, 2011 at 4:02 PM

I’m selling Mayan calendar refills for just three easy payments of $29.99 plus shipping and handling.

Fallon on December 21, 2011 at 4:04 PM

I’m wondering how many other people on this site who will rush out to see this film are ex-Advanced Dungeons & Dragons nerds like me?

DRayRaven on December 21, 2011 at 4:05 PM

SO excited I have been waiting for this ever since they ended the LOTR Trilogy. No matter what though the books will always be better

TheOarsman on December 21, 2011 at 4:06 PM

I can’t wait.

BTW,
OT: Wilder calling for Biden to be replaced

ConservativePartyNow on December 21, 2011 at 4:06 PM

Why wasn’t this movie made before LOTR…?

Seven Percent Solution on December 21, 2011 at 4:07 PM

Too bad we’ll never see the second half since the world ends on 12/31/12.

jeffn21 on December 21, 2011 at 4:02 PM

Thought it was 12-21-12

ConservativePartyNow on December 21, 2011 at 4:07 PM

I thought it was Chuck Schumer of New York. I have not seen him, since Wiener’s underpants.

KOOLAID2 on December 21, 2011 at 4:08 PM

Now that’s funny!

Pizza Rolls!

Oil Can on December 21, 2011 at 4:08 PM

Looks a lot better than I thought it would from the premise we’ve been hearing for the last ten years.

+1 for some real good timbre on the dwarf songs and for making Gloin sort of look like Gimli.

HitNRun on December 21, 2011 at 4:08 PM

Pretty sure Lucas lost his mind somewhere between Empire and Jedi, anyhoo, i still say Jackson’s best work is The Frighteners, take that hobbits!

clearbluesky on December 21, 2011 at 4:09 PM

Mitt Romney = Bilbo Baggins?

He’s more like gollum, he won’t give up his precious mandate in MA.

lorien1973 on December 21, 2011 at 4:03 PM

No, Gollum is Herr Doktor. Anything for the precious nomination. Gotta stroke the ego.

Logus on December 21, 2011 at 4:10 PM

DRayRaven on December 21, 2011 at 4:05 PM

I am. I got into MERP and left it when I was in my early teens. Now I am into SWTOR.

You can Google any of those acronyms if you don’t recognize them. This way I don’t publicize my nerdiness to everyone who reads this thread, lol.

jeffn21 on December 21, 2011 at 4:11 PM

Allah, you’re the worst beta male ever.

I thought LOTR was the province of beta males?

John_Locke on December 21, 2011 at 4:11 PM

An incensed Robert Reich allegedly is now staging an OMW (Occupy Mirkwood) angry protest.

viking01 on December 21, 2011 at 4:12 PM

DRayRaven on December 21, 2011 at 4:05 PM

That would be me!

nukemhill on December 21, 2011 at 4:14 PM

Why wasn’t this movie made before LOTR…?

Seven Percent Solution on December 21, 2011 at 4:07 PM

I’m not a big enough geek, but if I recall, I think LoTR has always had a bigger “following”, and I believe it was also written first.

As to why they didn’t do Hobbit as a movie first however? LoTR is more epic and I suspect that made it worth more interest in tackling.

It’d be interesting if in the extended edition dvd sets they’ll come out with in three or four years if they include lots of tidbits from Tokien’s other works, such as the Similaron(sp), etc.

Maybe even something about female dwarves and dwarves being born out of the rock…

Logus on December 21, 2011 at 4:15 PM

DRayRaven on December 21, 2011 at 4:05 PM

*raises hand*

I fully expect this movie to be good, and let me say that this is one of the best trailers I have seen in a long time. It sets up the story very well and includes several action shots, but Gollum only appears very briefly at the end of the trailer. It really heightens interest without giving everything away.

I still kinda wish Guillermo del Toro had found the time to direct this, though.

fiatboomer on December 21, 2011 at 4:16 PM

Disclaimer: we have all the extended versions on DVD

I thought the trailer was kind of boring. The new and younger Bilbo didn’t impress either.

I’m hoping for more movie magic and not a pollution of a great franchise by a 1 percenter like Jackson is.

PappyD61 on December 21, 2011 at 4:16 PM

DRayRaven on December 21, 2011 at 4:05 PM

Here’s one that will.

Torch on December 21, 2011 at 4:17 PM

John_Locke on December 21, 2011 at 4:11 PM

viking01 on December 21, 2011 at 4:12 PM

Shut the tread down!!!

Darksean on December 21, 2011 at 4:17 PM

Mitt’s feet aren’t hairy enough to be a hobbit’s (or so I’m told).

Rufus on December 21, 2011 at 4:18 PM

Mitt Romney = Bilbo Baggins?

Does he wax and/or dye his foot hair? As far as I know, Bilbo wasn’t a metrosexual.

Hobbits for Palin!

Too late? Too soon?

Fallon on December 21, 2011 at 4:19 PM

Had me at “precious”. I have to watch the trailer in a brighter screen than this one, them dark movies, ghrhaejrkafasefnkdnfn…….

ProudPalinFan on December 21, 2011 at 4:19 PM

Hobbits for Palin!

Too late? Too soon?

Fallon on December 21, 2011 at 4:19 PM

Still waitin’!

ProudPalinFan on December 21, 2011 at 4:20 PM

I’m a big fan of the animated movie but… this one could be good too :)

Ukiah on December 21, 2011 at 4:21 PM

I just hope Jackson doesn’t overdo it with the music the way he did with the LOTR’s.

Dusty on December 21, 2011 at 4:21 PM

DRayRaven on December 21, 2011 at 4:05 PM

Another here.

sharrukin on December 21, 2011 at 4:22 PM

DRayRaven on December 21, 2011 at 4:05 PM

I still have my 20-side die somewhere…

Half-Elf Cleric/Fighter/Mage FTW!

Nick_Angel on December 21, 2011 at 4:24 PM

I don’t care. At all.

I am the 2%.

stevezilla

If you don’t care, why did you bother posting on this thread?

Gothguy on December 21, 2011 at 4:24 PM

No, no, no.

Mitt Romney, Karl Rove & Ann Coulter are the cave-trolls…they all turn to stone when exposed to sunlight…

MTLassen on December 21, 2011 at 4:24 PM

How Precious!!!

dddave on December 21, 2011 at 4:25 PM

Jackson’s follow-up can’t possibly disappoint the way that film did.

It won’t. Cast and crew are “true believers,” many returning from LOTR. They won’t let it go astray.

Besides, they’re working with classic literature, not some pathetic mush from Lucas’s head.

Bat Chain Puller on December 21, 2011 at 4:25 PM

Romney = Bilbo Baggins

Nope: D!ldo Daggins

LegendHasIt on December 21, 2011 at 4:26 PM

Meh.. not impressed by the trailer. Reminds me a bit of Mitt Romney – A good facade but I’m skeptical of its contents and ability to deliver on my expectations.

Lol sorry couldn’t resist.

rgrovr on December 21, 2011 at 4:27 PM

Now that’s funny!

Pizza Rolls!

Oil Can on December 21, 2011 at 4:08 PM

Those reviews had a higher level of academic quality than any experience I’ve ever had outside one actual college course in cinematic theory. And that was a tie.

Why wasn’t this movie made before LOTR…?

Seven Percent Solution on December 21, 2011 at 4:07 PM

Logus on December 21, 2011 at 4:15 PM

The Hobbit was written first; however, you’re right about the rest. Though they’re probably about equal in terms of readership, LOTR has a much more dedicated fanbase and has much more human (er, human etc) drama. The Hobbit is kind of like an overwritten Brothers Grimm story. It doesn’t even have any women it. Like, not one. At all. (Unless you take it as implied that the groups of elves included women.) And yes, I realize I’m comparing it to LOTR, which had scarcely any.

Honestly I think the Hobbit would have made a better standalone movie, but if you were looking to launch a franchise of epics, it makes much more sense to go with LOTR first.

HitNRun on December 21, 2011 at 4:27 PM

jeffn21 on December 21, 2011 at 4:11 PM

So you think the acronyms will help, eh? Pity about the INT roll.

Ah well, better luck next time.

Lily on December 21, 2011 at 4:30 PM

After watching & enjoying the LOTR movies I am going to call this one “awesome” ahead of time. Peter Jackson has proved his worth as a Middle-Earth director, and so I am prepared to enjoy myself again. No Smaug reveal yet of course, he’ll show up in the summer trailers. It’s worth noting that many actors from LOTR were willing to reprise their roles, a vote of confidence in the production.

ohiocon on December 21, 2011 at 4:30 PM

Gollum = Ron Paul

Didnt you see that the one ring was kinda golden? And then there is the similarity in appearance.

Valkyriepundit on December 21, 2011 at 4:33 PM

I don’t give a rat’s you-know-what about this production(does it really need to be 2 movies, BTW?), but I have to admit that’s a helluva good teaser. And it looks like Jackson didn’t miss a beat in returning to that world. It may feel superfluous and like a cash-in, but I don’t think this will be the disappointment(let’s be honest, disaster!) that the Star Wars prequels were.

Doughboy on December 21, 2011 at 4:36 PM

I’m going to go see it along with everyone else here. Family and I have been plowing through the Potter movies and while there are good parts, it’s mostly a bore. Especially compared to LOTR. The dwarf tune in there is pretty sweet. Can’t wait for the OST.

LaughterJones on December 21, 2011 at 4:40 PM

I’m in!

will go see most definitely.

a little fantasy is good for one…

golfmann on December 21, 2011 at 4:42 PM

DRayRaven on December 21, 2011 at 4:05 PM

*raises hand*

fiatboomer on December 21, 2011 at 4:16 PM

Whaddya mean, ex? I DM sessions with my kids, or sometimes my eldest DMs (he’s good, too).

This is a dozen kinds of awesome. Two words: MIDNIGHT SHOW.

skydaddy on December 21, 2011 at 4:44 PM

The only thing is, that we’ll only have a week to see the movie before the earth turns itself inside out on the 21st. Maybe they’ll have for movie night on one of the arks.

Wallythedog on December 21, 2011 at 4:47 PM

Upset that there was no scene in the trailer featuring Smaug. Baddest dragon ever!

stacybernardslay on December 21, 2011 at 4:48 PM

I downloaded both the Hobbit Trailer and the new Perry2012 ad featuring Anita. But I didn’t tell my sister at first. So I called, “Hey Sis, Ad Time!” and of course she expected yet another Perry ad. When I turned on the Hobbit trailer instead, she was crazy with delight. Consequently, I’m very popular in our house this afternoon! Yes, I’m sure we’ll go see it next year.

P.S. For my fellow HotGas Perry Patriots, the new ad, “American Story,” is fantastic. Romantics will like it especially, as well as those who think Anita Perry has great fashion tastes (*raises hand*).

louisianapatriette on December 21, 2011 at 4:51 PM

Dusty on December 21, 2011 at 4:21 PM

“”NERDRAGE”"
Howard Shore’s music was the perfect accompaniment to the LOTR movies. I enjoy the music as much as the movies themselves.

Garym on December 21, 2011 at 4:51 PM

The Hobbit was written first. The Lord of the Ring took another twenty years. That’s how long it takes when you are a perfectionist. Tolkien developed two complete languages and a world history before he felt ready to publish a contended version. He even developed an accurate Hobbit calendar and dating system. It’s a fully developed alternate world.

Fred 2 on December 21, 2011 at 4:51 PM

Garym on December 21, 2011 at 4:51 PM

Ditto.
When I listen to the music, I can picture the story in my minds eye.
And it stands by itself as great music.

LegendHasIt on December 21, 2011 at 4:55 PM

Fred 2 on December 21, 2011 at 4:51 PM

As my teenage son observed, Lucas wrote a story and developed a universe around it. Tolkien created a universe and told a couple of its stories.

skydaddy on December 21, 2011 at 4:57 PM

A simple children’s story which appears to be another steroid-injected and corrupted collossus of CGI entertainment. No mas.

rrpjr on December 21, 2011 at 5:02 PM

How much trouble will I get in if I say that while I thot the LOTR Trilogy ruled, I prefer the 70′s animated Hanna-Barbera version of The Hobbit?

Sacramento on December 21, 2011 at 5:02 PM

It never ceases to amaze me how people are quick to jump into “pro-” or “anti-” camps based on a simple movie trailer. This is similar to people hating a moving just because someone told them it was awful.

I know that it’s “fun” to lob grenades at each other, but personally-speaking, I’ll withhold judgement on the movie until it’s out. Yes, I read the books (LoTR and The Hobbit), and I found Jackson’s interpretation of LoTR to be fully satisfying. I withheld nitpicking complaints about this trivial point or that, instead admiring the sheer enormity of what Jackson undertook in putting together such a truly epic series of movies.

I had hoped that with “The Matrix”, the Wachowskis were another force to be reckoned with, but they flamed out with the horrid Matrix sequels. And George Lucas is such a tiresome bore with his constant movie re-re-re-re-tweaks and artistic-pretentiousness.

So, for my hard-earned dollars, Peter Jackson & Christopher Nolan are the directors who deliver.

SnarkySam on December 21, 2011 at 5:02 PM

Sacramento on December 21, 2011 at 5:02 PM

If it’s the one I’m thinking of, it was by Ralph (“Fritz The Cat”) Bakshi. Bored me out of my mind in high school.

This one by Peter Jackson will only be good if it includes this song in the soundtrack:

Captain Scarlet on December 21, 2011 at 5:05 PM

This is Gonna Be GOOD!

Kini on December 21, 2011 at 5:06 PM

DRayRaven on December 21, 2011 at 4:05 PM

Guilty as charged… DM’ed the same campaign for nearly 10 years and created a world rich in history and backstory, rife with noble quests, dastardly villains, and old grudges. Had to give it up though, as I seemed to spend 3 hours of prep time to 1 hour of play, and work was making ever greater demands on my time.

For an even nerdier twist, I turned over copies of my maps and notes to one of my ace players, and he started his own campaign… except it was the Star Trek “Mirror, Mirror” version of my world…

Damn, I miss those days…

Andros Capella, LV9 LE Cleric/Assassin

PointnClick on December 21, 2011 at 5:13 PM

Why wasn’t this movie made before LOTR…?

Seven Percent Solution on December 21, 2011 at 4:07 PM

I thought I read someplace that the only reason he attacked LotR was to prove that he was able to do King Kong, which was in my humble opinion a tremendous disappointment in comparison…

Vntnrse on December 21, 2011 at 5:19 PM

I know it’s heresy to criticize Jackson’s LOTR movies, but he started wandering in The Two Towers and he never got back on track. Faramir tried to take the ring? Frodo abandoned Sam because he didn’t trust him? I realize you can’t follow the book exactly, but c’mon – who is the woman playing with Gandalf’s hair? I know – I’m taking this too seriously.

stiney on December 21, 2011 at 5:19 PM

hating a moving movie
SnarkySam on December 21, 2011 at 5:02 PM

Argh…cursed “blogremlins” :)
Oh, and Spielberg is an over-hyped Hollywood has-been.

SnarkySam on December 21, 2011 at 5:20 PM

spoiler alert…the Hobbits Win

Dino V on December 21, 2011 at 5:21 PM

Slow news?

The Mozguls were in town last week and met in super secret session with Hillary Gamgee. Gamgees stated object was what sort of bridge the Balrogs would be satisfied with that best complies with the Mozguls demands that the tongues be cut out of those who dare mention disrespectfully, the Dark Lords name among the non-Orcs of Middle Earth. Hillary Gamgees respectful offer to shame and ostracize those who transgress so in public may not be enough to slow the wrath of the foul beasts of Modoristan.

That would make a good tale in the telling if truth and freedom to speak it can survive.

BL@KBIRD on December 21, 2011 at 5:29 PM

DRayRaven on December 21, 2011 at 4:05 PM

Totally! Now I have just progressed from board to RPGs.. Love WOW! Play it with my husband and son.

ME wants the precious!

melle1228 on December 21, 2011 at 5:30 PM

Haha… Indeed. That creates a pretty funny image.

You know what a movie is, really? A story played out through some other person’s imagination.

In this case, the movies are never as good as the books. What we imagine from reading a book is generally better than viewing someone elses version of it.

Except for Liv Tyler playing Arwen Evenstar, that was played out better that my imagination from reading the book.

Lawrence on December 21, 2011 at 5:42 PM

oh no

Galadriel and Gandalf in a romantic interlude,
please Peter, enough

hope the dwarves that will overpower this movie won’t be so heavy handed as Gimli was in the LOTR
his illplaced and overdone comedy was so over the top and ruined some key tense scenes

part 1 and part 2 could have easily went to one movie
where are they going to break it?
when Bilbo escapes from Gollum and the dwarves and he are soon rescued on the other side of the river?

audiotom on December 21, 2011 at 5:46 PM

One of the major problems with the Star Prequels IMHO is that Anakin is a whiny wuss. The original trilogy makes it sound like he’s the premier bad ass and what we’re left with instead is a whiny punk who can’t even grow a beard and pines over some sweet Padme. Lucas should have started the story with Anakin kicking boo-tay left and right and seducing Padme. And Jar Jar Binks should have been voiced by Dr. Dre or Snoop Dogg. Would have made the character better.

The Hobbit looks amazing. The dwarves kind of look like the midgets from Legend though.

El Feaze Shabazz on December 21, 2011 at 5:50 PM

Only Richard Armitage could make Thorin Oakenshield sexy.

cynccook on December 21, 2011 at 6:15 PM

test

Steve Z on December 21, 2011 at 6:18 PM

Awesome. Psyched.

Good Lt on December 21, 2011 at 6:34 PM

Pretty sure Lucas lost his mind somewhere between Empire and Jedi

Nope — he got rich. For Return of the Jedi, he told ILM to give him $37M worth of special effects (a respectable amount in those days). Then he went to his writers, told them he had $37M worth of special effects and to write a script.

LOTR:FOTR came out pretty close to Phantom Menace, and the big difference I saw was that in LOTR, the special effects served the story; in Phantom Menace (and the other two) the special effects were the story.

Garym on December 21, 2011 at 4:51 PM

I was really, really happy to see Howard Shore’s name on the credits. After Shore and Jackson quarrelled over the scoring of King Kong and Jackson dumped Shore, I was afraid there would be some bad feelings and Jackson would bring in another composer.

catsandbooks on December 21, 2011 at 6:43 PM

stiney on December 21, 2011 at 5:19 PM

I was disappointed about Jackson’s treatment of Faramir–in the book, Frodo matches wits with Faramir in trying to conceal the fact that he carries the Ring, while Faramir is trying to find out what Frodo and Sam are doing in Gondor. Faramir eventually discovers that Frodo has the Ring, but recognizes the wisdom of destroying the Ring instead of seizing its power, and sends Frodo and Sam away with their backpacks full of food.

The movie totally misses the inner conflict in Faramir–the younger brother who is wiser than his older brother Boromir. Faramir has the chance to realize the quest which caused his brother’s death, but willingly and wisely passes it up for the good of Middle Earth, instead of trying to please his father Denethor by taking the Ring.

Jackson’s movie completely left out the battle of the Shire, after Frodo, Sam, Merry, and Pippin return from Aragorn’s coronation, to find that Saruman has enslaved the hobbits, and the four hobbits who have fought for Men in foreign lands (Rohan, Gondor, and Mordor) have to lead a revolution to save their own people. In the book, Frodo is an unwilling warrior, and tries to avoid violence, but is forced to kill Saruman with his own hands…

Still, Jackson’s LOTR movies have probably inspired millions of people to admire Tolkein’s work, many of whom were not yet born when the books were published.

“The Hobbit” is a much more lighthearted book than LOTR, probably written more for children, with literally barrels of fun in some chapters. There will probably be many more opportunities for comic relief between the Dwarves in a “Hobbit” movie, while the real epic battle comes toward the end. This is probably a must-see movie!

Steve Z on December 21, 2011 at 6:45 PM

Captain Scarlet on December 21, 2011 at 5:05 PM

I clicked your link. I now have no choice but to hunt you down and smack you for subjecting me to that.

Random Numbers (Brian Epps) on December 21, 2011 at 7:05 PM

I still say the best thing about Ian McKellen’s Gandalf is The Hat.

PersonFromPorlock on December 21, 2011 at 7:13 PM

DRayRaven on December 21, 2011 at 4:05 PM

**raises hand**

See you in line!

This is almost as exciting as when they brought back Doctor Who! Or When Rush announced the Time Machine Tour!

Gettycorn on December 21, 2011 at 7:17 PM

This looks fantastic and I’m so glad the same actors are returning, I thought the casting was pretty much perfect. I loved the books and enjoyed the movies. Yeah there were things like over-doing Arwen’s role and underplaying Eowyn and Faramir for example, and leaving out some parts. But at least Tolkein’s intent wasn’t changed and NZ was perfect. I hate when they make major changes to a book wheh they make the movie, The Natural comes to mind, although the ending was better in that movie.
At any rate, I will be at the theater to see this along with the older grandkids.

Deanna on December 21, 2011 at 7:23 PM

Is it too soon to order the Blue Ray….

JIMV on December 21, 2011 at 7:23 PM

Yay! Love the trailer! Love Jackson’s work of Tolkien and love Tolkien! Lord willing and the creek don’t rise, I know where my hubby and I will be at midnight the Opening night!

Minorcan Maven on December 21, 2011 at 7:40 PM

This was Jackson’s biggest mistake. I couldn’t believe he left out the end – with the hobbits returning home, thinking all is finished, only to find that Saruman has resettled in their home and ruined it- and the mighty hobbits raising an army to retake The Shire – and the killing of Saruman.

That was a great and satisfying ending. And with all the extended battle scenes and drawn-out “sensitive” talks between Frodo and Sam, that he could have shortened, Jackson could and SHOULD have worked it in there..

By the way, someone asked upthread why The Hobbit comes out last – it was a longstanding battle over the movie rights that was finally settled – I think having something to do with the 1978 animated version.

cane_loader on December 21, 2011 at 7:42 PM

One quibble – actually it is not Frodo who kills Saruman, but Grima Wormtongue. The slave finally turns on the master, after years of mental and physical abuse.

cane_loader on December 21, 2011 at 7:44 PM

The LOTR trilogy is hands down, one of my faves. Geek? Yes, and I freely admit that! Count me in for The Hobbit, can’t wait..

redlucy on December 21, 2011 at 7:51 PM

Each year is precious to me now. A WHOLE YEAR before the actual movie!!

Don’t give a trailer a year in advance!

TfromV on December 21, 2011 at 7:53 PM

Garym on December 21, 2011 at 4:51 PM
Ditto.
When I listen to the music, I can picture the story in my minds eye.
And it stands by itself as great music.

LegendHasIt on December 21, 2011 at 4:55 PM

Absolutely agree. I especially love the music in The Two Towers for Rohan. The music when Eowyn is standing in front of the Golden Hall in the wind…haunting.

Agree also with the nit picks over Faramir and Frodo leaving Sam. I just finished rereading and I’m glad I hadn’t read them for a long time before seeing the movies. I think I would have been more annoyed if I had. Still, I think he did as good a job as anyone would have. Love the books. Love the movies. Can’t wait to see The Hobbit.

And yes, fellow D&Der here, though I was never very good at it. Not aggressive enough… I would get so attached to my character that I was afraid to let them die. :)

pannw on December 21, 2011 at 7:58 PM

What makes the “Lord of the Rings” trilogy such incredible reading is the way that Tolkien was writing it as World War II loomed and then occurred. The morality of the tales is closely tied to the story of how Hitler set Europe aflame.

For any who have not yet read the books, or think that it’s fantasy child play, you are in for a surprise.

One note – “The Hobbit” was written more as a simple tale – but “The Lord of the Rings” is definitely aimed at adults.

cane_loader on December 21, 2011 at 8:00 PM

I have to say, that Dwarven chant was pretty awesome.
But, still, where is Smog?
Come on, we want’s to see the Dragon!

Count to 10 on December 21, 2011 at 8:25 PM

I noticed in the credits at the end of the trailer that the movie is a “WingNut Films production”. Don’t tell John Avlon! He might leave a puddle on the floor.

NealK on December 21, 2011 at 8:33 PM

Garym on December 21, 2011 at 4:51 PM

I thought Led Zepplin’s take on the story was the best.

LoganSix on December 21, 2011 at 9:00 PM

How many have read the ” silmarillion”?

It’s been years but I really enjoyed it after a hundred pages or so

Sonosam on December 21, 2011 at 9:09 PM

How many have read the ” silmarillion”?

It’s been years but I really enjoyed it after a hundred pages or so

Sonosam on December 21, 2011 at 9:09 PM

I absolutely love the Silmarillion and I think the tale of Beren and Luthien would make an awesome movie.

The best way to experience the Silmarillion in my opinion is with an audio book. Tolkien wrote those tales in the mode of an oral tradition and they really come to life when heard.

PackerBronco on December 21, 2011 at 9:16 PM

Garym on December 21, 2011 at 4:51 PM

I thought Led Zepplin’s take on the story was the best.

LoganSix on December 21, 2011 at 9:00 PM

Nice!

I like your nickname. Loved Logun’s Run. I was a huge Jenny Agutter fan back in the 70′s.

Garym on December 21, 2011 at 9:36 PM

That…looks insufferably dull to me. Then again, I am part of the 2% that doesn’t care about the LOTR series.

changer1701 on December 21, 2011 at 9:41 PM

Wash your mouth out with soap if you compare The Hobbit to the Star Wars prequels. The Hobbit was written before LOTR and was an immensely popular book in its own right. In fact, it was the success of The Hobbit that led Tolkien to write LOTR in the first place.

The movie should rule, but one area of the concern is the development of the Gandalf/Dol Guldur storyline. That episode was mentioned very briefly (as in a single paragraph brief) at the end of The Hobbit. It appears that Jackson is going to flesh out the story. What concerns me is that when Jackson sticks close to Tolkien, the end result is wonderful and when he goes off on his own, the result is a mixed bag: sometimes good and sometimes absolutely terrible.

PackerBronco on December 21, 2011 at 9:46 PM

I watched the trailer yesterday, so excited to see it, but my first thought was “that’s not what the dwarves are supposed to look like.” Still can’t wait to see it, though I have no doubt it will annoy me when the movie strays from the book, or like in LOTR when Jackson gave some great lines to the wrong character.

toby11 on December 21, 2011 at 9:50 PM