“Game Change” trailer: Introducing Sarah Palin

posted at 8:05 pm on December 21, 2011 by Allahpundit

Two years ago, this trailer would have consisted mostly of beatific shots of Obama on the trail in 2008 preaching about hope, healing a leper, maybe feeding a doe-eyed baby deer, etc. Two dismal years later, he’s nowhere to be seen; they’re all in on the tried and true “Palin drama” formula instead. If you wanted to know how Hollywood feels about his first term, there’s a little glimpse. Right, Matt Damon?

I’ve never met Steve Schmidt but my sense of his personality after having read a thousand quotes from him in news articles is wildly different from a character Woody Harrelson would or should play. Harrelson’s schtick is the loose cannon, the guy who’s perpetually five minutes away from doing something nuts; he’s interesting because he’s unpredictable. Schmidt, by contrast, is a sort of archetypal mainstream insider Republican who only did something unpredictable — namely, suggesting Palin to McCain — because he was desperate to cut into Obama’s lead. He’s the opposite of wild-eyed, which is to say he’s basically the opposite of Harrelson. So why’d they cast Harrelson here? Was it just the baldness?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 6 7 8

Tesla, here is a hint, LOTS of us here have engineering degrees, advanced degrees, professional degrees, MBAs, etc. I got my engineering degree back in the 70′s from Purdue when women were only 3% of the entire engineering school. I even had my PE license, but finally stopped paying the renewal a few years ago because I moved onward and upward from engineering 2 decades ago. So kudos on making it through killer classes, but you are not unique with your educational background. We even have some very wise posters here who graduated from the school of hard knocks. One person I particularly admire is a guy who runs a landscape and snow removal business and he is still trying to keep it together in this challenging economy. I forgot his screen name, but he adds good insight to discussions here. I appreciate Steve Eggleston who keeps us apprised of the zaniness in WI as Walker tames the public unions. We just don’t flaunt our educational backgrounds here. Our common bond is an interest in politics and most of us love this country, regardless of who we support for elected office.

Sarah might be better served waiting out this election,serving in the administration, and running for president down the line. I’m not sure that America doesn’t need her now, but God only knows.

cane_loader on December 22, 2011 at 2:31 AM
If we had a better candidate who would beat Obama to a pulp in the campaign next year, I would be OK with having Sarah become the new head of the combined Dept of Interior, Dept of Energy and the EPA. I don’t know what we could call that new department, but she could completely remove all of the anti business regulations and unleash our energy production. Can you imagine the economic engine that could be created from that?

karenhasfreedom on December 22, 2011 at 3:10 AM

===================================================================

Reading this way after…but…Ditto, ditto, ditto…….very good!

KOOLAID2 on December 22, 2011 at 12:37 PM

She could not win with the ethics complaints and she knew it. she did what was right and honorable, moving the target away from the State of Alaska.

HerneTheHunter on December 22, 2011 at 4:33 AM

Dude, she DID win those 20-something ethics cases, ALL except one minor point.

In fact, I think some frivolous charges are STILL being filed, but they got NOTHING on her.

ornery_independent on December 22, 2011 at 12:38 PM

The thing about a lot of non-engineers is they think they know more about engineering than engineers do.

Dr. Tesla on December 22, 2011 at 1:25 PM

The thing about a lot of non-engineers is they think they know more about engineering than engineersthey do.

Dr. Tesla on December 22, 2011 at 1:25 PM

There, fixed it for you.

Gunlock Bill on December 22, 2011 at 1:33 PM

Dr. Tesla on December 22, 2011 at 1:25 PM

Huh? You know, the only engineer I ever knew who introduced himself with that all-encompassing title was my uncle, who drove for Union Pacific.

Otherwise, engineers use their chosen field as their identifier, unless they’re something more advanced, like a physicist or a test pilot. And I noticed the argument about schools. That’s another thing that depends on the specific field.

Color me skeptical.

Portia46 on December 22, 2011 at 2:05 PM

In the trailer, McCain says “get me a woman”.

Sorry. It’s not that Sarah Palin is a woman that made the game change. Look how a “woman” changed the game for Walter Mondale.

It was the fact that the woman, this time, was Sarah Palin – a true conservative like Ronald Reagan.

When in Alaska, Palin put corrupt people from both parties in JAIL. When she becomes POTUS, Eric Holder will be sent to prison where he belongs. I can’t wait until Bubba makes that punk, Holder, his beeeyatch.

Patton531 on December 22, 2011 at 2:12 PM

Huh? You know, the only engineer I ever knew who introduced himself with that all-encompassing title was my uncle, who drove for Union Pacific…Color me skeptical.

Portia46

Here’s a vieo of DR.T at work.

It’s a job. His opinion is just as valuable as any of ours.

BoxHead1 on December 22, 2011 at 2:26 PM

Dude give it a rest. You’re an engineer. You didn’t discover the cure for cancer.

angryed on December 22, 2011 at 2:59 PM

Who has discovered the cure for cancer?

I have identified that I am a mechanical engineer, although I’m current working as a controls engineering which has aspects of electrical engineer as well.

I don’t make a big issue of my engineering degree. My haters do. They are disrespecting me and even acting like an engineering degree is something anybody can earn, when let’s face it, most of my critics could not earn an engineering degree. They are too interested in running down other people’s accomplishments to have the focus to better themselves. :)

Dr. Tesla on December 22, 2011 at 3:19 PM

Sarah Palin > John McCain

apocalypse on December 22, 2011 at 3:29 PM

I saw somebody deride CPAs too, but I got to think a CPA would make a better president than most, at least on fiscal issues.

What do I know, I’m just an engineer. I’ll defer to those who majored in philosophy and sociology and political science (majors invented for football players). :)

Dr. Tesla on December 22, 2011 at 3:41 PM

“Once upon a time there was an engineer
Drove a locomotive both far and near.
Accompanied by a monkey that would sit on a stool
Watching everything the everything the engineer would do.
One day the engineer wanted a bite to eat
He left the monkey sitting on the driver’s seat,
The monkey pulled the throttle, the locomotive jumped the gun
And did 80 miles an hour down the mainline run.”

Dino V on December 22, 2011 at 3:52 PM

Sarah Palin > John McCain

apocalypse on December 22, 2011 at 3:29 PM

apocalypse > PDS

idesign on December 22, 2011 at 4:07 PM

Dr. Tesla on December 22, 2011 at 3:19 PM

Are you, perchance, related to someone who already comments here?

Cindy Munford on December 22, 2011 at 4:09 PM

idesign on December 22, 2011 at 4:07 PM

I want Maw Maw Grizzly..:)

Dire Straits on December 22, 2011 at 4:12 PM

I want Maw Maw Grizzly..:)

Dire Straits on December 22, 2011 at 4:12 PM

Still yanking the chain…

idesign on December 22, 2011 at 4:14 PM

Sarah Palin > John McCain

apocalypse on December 22, 2011 at 3:29 PM

apocalypse > PDS

idesign on December 22, 2011 at 4:07 PM

…ahahahha salute !

apocalypse on December 22, 2011 at 4:15 PM

Still yanking the chain…

idesign on December 22, 2011 at 4:14 PM

And what are you doing???..:)

Dire Straits on December 22, 2011 at 4:16 PM

Cindy,

Nope.

I do tend to smirk when people start running down engineers though, as they type on their computer in their air conditioned homes with power on demand.

Most of the progress you take for granted in your lives is the result of engineers contribution to society.

And all of these people ridiculing me as an engineer would bragg about their little Johnny or their little Suzy Q if they earned an engineering degree, b/c engineering programs are challenging.

Nothing has taught me humility more than the difficulty of the engineering program from which I emerged.

We could weed out a lot of the liberal buffoon candidates like Obama and Biden if we made an engineering degree a qualification for president. I don’t think you can argue that point. :)

Dr. Tesla on December 22, 2011 at 4:20 PM

And what are you doing???..:)

Dire Straits on December 22, 2011 at 4:16 PM

Decorating the Christmas tree..:)

idesign on December 22, 2011 at 4:24 PM

Decorating the Christmas tree..:)

idesign on December 22, 2011 at 4:24 PM

You are late..But good deal..:)

PS..Any cool Palin ornaments?..:)

Dire Straits on December 22, 2011 at 4:27 PM

PS..Any cool Palin ornaments?..:)

Dire Straits on December 22, 2011 at 4:27 PM

No, but she sent me a Christmass Card..:)

idesign on December 22, 2011 at 4:30 PM

No, but she sent me a Christmass Card..:)

idesign on December 22, 2011 at 4:30 PM

That is good..I’m glad..Mine got lost in the mail..:)

Dire Straits on December 22, 2011 at 4:32 PM

That is good..I’m glad..Mine got lost in the mail..:)

Dire Straits on December 22, 2011 at 4:32 PM

Too bad, so sad…

idesign on December 22, 2011 at 4:35 PM

Too bad, so sad…

idesign on December 22, 2011 at 4:35 PM

Don’t worry I will make it..:)

Dire Straits on December 22, 2011 at 4:41 PM

Dr. Tesla on December 22, 2011 at 4:20 PM

I must point out that until you came along I do not believe we had engineers, as a genre, being discussed at all. I wonder if there is a connection? If you seek to be offended you guarantee success.

Cindy Munford on December 22, 2011 at 7:13 PM

Cindy,

I think most perceptive people would see that I’m playing these other people who are easily offended, not the other way around.

You seem to get a lot of things wrong.

Dr. Tesla on December 22, 2011 at 10:16 PM

Cindy,

You seem to get a lot of things wrong.

Dr. Tesla on December 22, 2011 at 10:16 PM

I think it’s a little ironic that you are patting yourself on the back, saying how smart engineers must be, when your all-too-frequent comments tell a different story. I wish there was a block feature for us to exclude certain commenters from showing up in our comment views when we log in. No offense to the Tesla person, but I find his posts boring and not particularly insightful… and there are just too many of them. Scrolling through all his inane blabber gets a bit tiresome.

bluegill on December 23, 2011 at 4:19 AM

bluegill on December 23, 2011 at 4:19 AM

It’s best to just consider it comedy relief but ignoring works also.

Cindy Munford on December 23, 2011 at 8:37 AM

It’s too depressing to watch. The left’s mendacious media minions will destroy any true conservative candidate. In addition, any real outsider, like Palin or Cain, will be atacked by mainstream Republicans as well as Democrats. The actual politicians in the major political parties are more alike than they are different. They want to maintain the power status quo at all costs.

Now, as the Republican primary field gets lower every time we look, and a tiny whisper of hope says, maybe Palin, maybe a real conservative(who isn’t psychotic), maybe someone who has real convictions and won’t say anything to get elected, maybe there is someone who isn’t so deeply in bed with dirty money that she could make decisions in the country’s best interests rather than her contributors, something like this serves as a reminder of how low the biased media will stoop to block her election.

Have a Merry Christmas and Happy Hannukah anyway.

talkingpoints on December 23, 2011 at 2:34 PM