Video: Terrorist villains in new “Rainbow Six” video game are … Occupy Wall Street?

posted at 8:45 pm on December 20, 2011 by Allahpundit

No, just kidding. These guys aren’t OWS. For one thing, none of them takes a dump in public or on a cop car, and no one gets raped. Also, as Frank Fleming points out, they’re wearing suits and they’re racially diverse, which is pretty much smoking-gun proof that they’re not OWSers. What’s identical is the message: For the second straight day, the Occupiers’ class-warfare ethos gets a starring role in a sure-to-be-blockbuster piece of entertainment — and once again, they’re cast as the villains. No wonder liberals are upset. How annoying to be reminded that domestic terrorism isn’t solely the province of wingnuts by people who are supposed to be on your side.

The game won’t be out until 2013, which I guess means the developer is betting heavily on a GOP victory next fall. If they think OWS and income inequality will be relevant in a second Obama term, especially if the economy starts growing again and class resentment eases, they’re kidding themselves. For the moment, though, this is a good hook. New from CBS:

Pew asked a sample of adults what bothered them most about the federal tax system — the amount they pay, the complexity of it, or the feeling that the wealthy aren’t paying their fair share. Overall, 57 percent said it was the wealthy not paying their fair share; among people who make between $30K and $75K a year the figure was 58 percent, and among those who make less than $30K it was 67 percent. If you’re still wondering why Obama’s excited to see the GOP choke on extending the payroll-tax holiday, wonder no longer.

Exit quotation: “Who gives a crap about some imbecile?”

Comments

and among those who make less than $30K it was 67 percent.

Does this group pay their far share?

Electrongod on December 20, 2011 at 8:49 PM

Whatever you do, don’t try to talk with people on gaming sites about this game. Seems like 3 out of 4 people just talk about how much more viable the game would be if it were the Tea Party that were the antagonists.

MadisonConservative on December 20, 2011 at 8:50 PM

Does this come with Official Janet Napolitano Spyware installed?

tom daschle concerned on December 20, 2011 at 8:51 PM

Never really got into Rainbow Six. As shooters go, I’ve always preferred COD and Halo. I will be playing this game, though.

Mr. Prodigy on December 20, 2011 at 8:51 PM

I have something for JugEars to choke on!
(his words…of course…ask Bill Clinton)

KOOLAID2 on December 20, 2011 at 8:52 PM

I havent purchased/played a “Rainbox Six” game since Raven Shield. And you couldnt even jump in RS; durp durp durp thwarted by a 4-inch curb and an overturned barrel.

Jeddite on December 20, 2011 at 8:54 PM

MadisonConservative on December 20, 2011 at 8:50 PM

I don’t doubt that at all. In my time competing in FPS games, I was shocked at how ignorant, yet completely cocksure gamers were about the world…when they spent 12 hours of every day escaping from it.

The Tea Party antagonists singing fourth stanzas of the Nat Anthem, cleaning parks after their use, reading founding documents, and patiently protesting the destruction of their liberty and prosperity!

tom daschle concerned on December 20, 2011 at 8:54 PM

It wouldn’t surprise me. Tom Clancy, the man who created this series, is a Republican.

Omega_Rage on December 20, 2011 at 8:54 PM

MadisonConservative on December 20, 2011 at 8:50 PM

Oh good grief; is THAT nonsense still being bandied about? Yeah, let’s make a whole shooter game where the enemies are mostly dolts with pistols and shotguns and zero combat experience. That’s SURE to be the next blockbuster hit!

…idiots. If I had a nickel for every wild-eyed doofus who breathlessly told me that the Civil War 2 was just around the corner…

MelonCollie on December 20, 2011 at 8:56 PM

tom daschle concerned on December 20, 2011 at 8:54 PM

Yeah, absolutely! Now excuse me while I embark on my 228th hour of Skyrim.

MadisonConservative on December 20, 2011 at 8:56 PM

MadisonConservative on December 20, 2011 at 8:50 PM

There are some crazy kids out there who would refuse to enjoy a great game on account of their politics, but 3 out of 4? Nah. Anyway, the game sounds amazing:

Therien reflects on this basic theme; “we want to show you that the enemy has a life, or an agenda. That it’s not always an easy, ‘kill the bad guy’ decision. That’s why we sometimes change the perspective — to show you more and give you a little bit of doubt when it comes time to pull the trigger.” It’s why the developers have you play a reluctant suicide bomber — one whose day starts with small button prompts for interactions like, “kiss wife” or “blow candle” or “stroke cheek”, which then give way to erratically bouncing directives like, “hold R1 to prevent detonation”, which reminds me of Heavy Rain somewhat. It’s why you might play a first responder, like a paramedic or a local cop, and be taken aback when dudes in body armor and assault rifles pop out of nowhere and start yelling at you. It’s why the developers throw in small moments of pause, such as the player receiving a command to disable NYPD officers who are about to corner the bomber because they might prematurely cause the detonation

ernesto on December 20, 2011 at 8:57 PM

MadisonConservative on December 20, 2011 at 8:50 PM

Seriously?
Well, I guess it’s hard to be a hard core gamer if you have a real job.

Count to 10 on December 20, 2011 at 8:58 PM

Umm doesn’t work at all. That terrorist had bathed recently.

Ted Torgerson on December 20, 2011 at 8:59 PM

Tom Clancy must be real happy.

BigWyo on December 20, 2011 at 9:00 PM

Omega_Rage on December 20, 2011 at 8:54 PM

Ever read “Executive Orders”?
Kind of seems like his political manifesto.

Count to 10 on December 20, 2011 at 9:00 PM

I though AP was making up the caption quote, then I watched the trailer. All that’s missing is some dumb hipster line about being the 99%. I might have to break my no-FPS rule for this…

pookysgirl on December 20, 2011 at 9:00 PM

Um, how stupid would be a group of militant soldier of fortune-types whose cause is poor people? I mean, whose a gonna pay ‘em?

Warner Todd Huston on December 20, 2011 at 9:00 PM

Freaking awesome. I’ll buy on principle.

Blacklake on December 20, 2011 at 9:02 PM

Just let me play as the “bad guys” here and I might be interested in this game.

theodore on December 20, 2011 at 9:03 PM

Just let me play as the “bad guys” here and I might be interested in this game.

theodore on December 20, 2011 at 9:03 PM

You like killing innocent people for doing productive things that you don’t understand?

Count to 10 on December 20, 2011 at 9:04 PM

I like FPS but I get waxed like a cross country ski every time I try to battle either my kids or the shop guys; it’s pretty pathetic. But I might just buy this game, you know, for the hippie flavor.

Bishop on December 20, 2011 at 9:04 PM

Reminds me of a scene from one of the Dirty Harry movies, when these nasty bank robber types are in the van getting ready to break in and break heads when the woman in the group says “this one’s for the people man.”

WitchDoctor on December 20, 2011 at 9:06 PM

Just let me play as the “bad guys” here and I might be interested in this game.
theodore on December 20, 2011 at 9:03 PM

You’re still waiting for Al-Queda’s video game “Slaughtering Americans: Death of the Great Satan” to come out, huh? Maybe someday.

Bishop on December 20, 2011 at 9:06 PM

Wow! Someone hacked the DNC and boosted their first Re-Elect ad!

Bruno Strozek on December 20, 2011 at 9:07 PM

ernesto on December 20, 2011 at 8:57 PM

Not play it, no. But easily 3 out of 4 gamers seem to be incredibly liberal. I visit Kotaku, GameTrailers, GameSpot, and other sites daily. Inundated with people whining about the demonization of the OWS movement. Because, you know, the Tea Party hasn’t been called a terrorist group by every lefty for the last three years.

MadisonConservative on December 20, 2011 at 9:07 PM

Bishop on December 20, 2011 at 9:04 PM

Minnesota’s full of noobs.

MadisonConservative on December 20, 2011 at 9:08 PM

Does this group pay their far share?

Electrongod on December 20, 2011 at 8:49 PM

If they’re married and/or have kids, no; they get extra money courtesy of EIC and other refundable credits. It more than makes up for the “regressive” taxes they may pay for FICA.

If they’re single, then yes, they do.

JeffWeimer on December 20, 2011 at 9:08 PM

Why is the question NEVER asked: “How do you feel about the 47% who pay NO TAXES?”

GarandFan on December 20, 2011 at 9:09 PM

Too bad this is not about the Clancy novel being turned into a movie — and that the villains really aren’t the OWS crowd. As I recall Kelly (Clark), Ding, and the R6 unit left those ding-a-lings stark naked in the Brazilian Rain Forest that Ding said even he could not survive.

It would be absolutely wonderful to see all of those cop-car-crappers careening around the bush, looking for stuff to eat/avoid being on other creatures’ menus.

“Pass the sun-block, Moon Dawgie.”

The War Planner on December 20, 2011 at 9:10 PM

All I care about is what the in-game items will be for the TF2 tie-in.

TexasDan on December 20, 2011 at 9:10 PM

MadisonConservative on December 20, 2011 at 8:50 PM

ernesto on December 20, 2011 at 8:57 PM

ernesto, you have a little bit of straw showing. He never said they would refuse to enjoy it, only that they thought it would be better if the antagonist were the enemy *you’d* like to see.

JeffWeimer on December 20, 2011 at 9:12 PM

As a side note, I tend to think all of the screaming about “bailouts” is kind of telling. It wasn’t the bankers that really benefited from the bailouts, it was everyone who invested through said bankers that didn’t have to deal with a run on their bank or the loss of value of their investment portfolios.

Count to 10 on December 20, 2011 at 9:12 PM

I played Rainbow Six Ghost Recon. Or it may have been version 2. It seemed like a fairly hardcore attempt to give you a realistic taste of action. You were not going to jump out of a plane, shoot a rocket launcher at the enemy, and climb back in. It was tedious. Which is why a lot of gamers probably didn’t like it.

MechanicalBill on December 20, 2011 at 9:14 PM

Minnesota’s full of noobs.
MadisonConservative on December 20, 2011 at 9:08 PM

Hell yes it is, but we at least get to play live-action zombie games simply by crossing the St. Croix.

Bishop on December 20, 2011 at 9:14 PM

and among those who make less than $30K it was 67 percent.

Does this group pay their far share?

Electrongod on December 20, 2011 at 8:49 PM

As you would know many of them are paying nearly nothing or nothing. Sounds fair to me them.

CW on December 20, 2011 at 9:14 PM

Bishop on December 20, 2011 at 9:04 PM

God invented cross country skis and snow boards (and toboggans and inner tubes) for people that can’t get down the hill like a man…

on real skis

And that’s a fact…

BigWyo on December 20, 2011 at 9:16 PM

Well the bailouts were a government solution to a problem government created. So I’m not so negative about the bank bailouts other than they wouldn’t have been needed if the politicians didn’t screw with their relationship in the first place.

MechanicalBill on December 20, 2011 at 9:16 PM

I have something for JugEars to choke on!
(his words…of course…ask Bill Clinton)

KOOLAID2 on December 20, 2011 at 8:52 PM

Maybe we should all send Barack pretzels.

SouthernGent on December 20, 2011 at 9:17 PM

Not being a gamer i have to ask, are they actually intended to be the villain? Maybe the villains are whoever is fighting against them?

clearbluesky on December 20, 2011 at 9:19 PM

Unless you’re a Progressive down with their agenda, you’re a terrorist.

And 57% think the rich don’t pay enough? The top 10% of income earners pay what 700% of all taxes?

This country is Gotham City waiting for a strongman.

Americans are too lazy to care about their freedom anymore.

PappyD61 on December 20, 2011 at 9:19 PM

Bishop on December 20, 2011 at 9:14 PM

Yeah, I hear eastern Minnesota is pretty overrun. Too bad you probably couldn’t make it two minutes into a round of Left 4 Dead 2 on easy. Want me to set up a gaming computer in your bunker? I’ll even download Hello Kitty Island Adventure for you.

MadisonConservative on December 20, 2011 at 9:20 PM

Americans care about:

1. Themselves.
2. Their immediate family.
3. Their money and position.
4. Their activities and vacations.
5. Their careers and jobs.
6. Their vehicles.
7. Sports.

Is the Republic anywhere on that list?

If you ask people what % would say the USA is a “democracy” or would even know what a Republic is?

PappyD61 on December 20, 2011 at 9:25 PM

Yeah, absolutely! Now excuse me while I embark on my 228th hour of Skyrim.

MadisonConservative on December 20, 2011 at 8:56 PM

Dang! I’m only up to 154 myself…

Mr. Bingley on December 20, 2011 at 9:38 PM

Oddly enough, after 3 years of hearing about how some White Christian Insane Male is going to shoot you know who, the only person to almost accomplish that is an Occupy DC loon.

PattyJ on December 20, 2011 at 9:39 PM

Gamers as a group are some of the biggest entitled leftists (but I repeat myself) imaginable. US problems caused by US being a d-bag to the world. Companies trying to make money off a pure entertainment medium are evil. Men as a whole are pigs. Software piracy isn’t REALLY stealing, cuz, “F— OFF!” Yep, that last one was an actual response I received when pointing out that just because the medium is digital doesn’t mean copying/pirating games isn’t still stealing.

I used to work at a Gamestop and while much of the company was left leaning, I was fortunate enough to end up in a store w/ multiple gun owning conservatives. In MN no less!

Unfortunately, it is not just the gamers perpetuating the issue. Very often conservatives are cast as the villains in the games themselves. There is a particular series, Assassin’s Creed, that puts you in control of an member of the Assassin’ order that are in a generational struggle against the Templars over the fate of humanity. The Templars, the villains, are Catholics trying to control/enslave humanity, first through their religious order, then through corporatism. The protagonist Assassins are fighting for the freedom of humanity.

I am currently playing through the latest game, Assassin’s Creed: Revelations, and they seem to have turned down the bias from the previous game, Brotherhood. In Brotherhood there were puzzle sequences where the players glanced at events in history and were told about the hidden conflict between Templars and Assassins. Frequently the EEEEEVIL Templars were the capitalists, selling the ignorant populace into slavery. In fact, one puzzle was a picture of the current Supreme Court justices with Clarence Thomas being the hidden puzzle peace that led to another anti-capitalist screed. Just maddening.

I eventually gave up trying to talk reason in gamer forums because there are simply too many entitled brats there who feel everything is owed to them, regardless if they paid for it or not. And I recently stopped visiting popular game forums because I am tired of constantly being cast as the villain for believing in the goodness of God, the USA, and capitalism.

EternalMalachi on December 20, 2011 at 9:56 PM

Exit question. How many in Obama’s America think you can close a $1.6 trillion deficit with $70 billion in tax hikes on “The Wealthy?”

No – 35%

MNHawk on December 20, 2011 at 9:59 PM

I like it when liberals get upset. Am I bad?

hawkdriver on December 20, 2011 at 10:06 PM

It’s been a while since I played a video game. Is this one being talked about more or less like Super Mario 3?

TugboatPhil on December 20, 2011 at 10:58 PM

Awesome trailer, and always humorous also to see the hypocrite liberals upset whenever they are the bad guys in any entertainment for a change.

As a game dev, I find that games are usually much fairer on the whole than Hollywood when it comes to politics. For every dig at conservationism (the Teabagger rednecks from Dead Rising 2 for example), there’s plenty of praise such as in Call of Duty. And I’m still appreciative of Bioshock’s fair critique of objectivism; a Hollywood film of the same name would’ve been one long smear fest that ends with the usual liberal pieties and propaganda.

smiley on December 20, 2011 at 11:00 PM

smiley on December 20, 2011 at 11:00 PM

Bioshock had some pretty spot-on social commentary.

The opening scene where you’re going down the submarine-elevator, listening to the founder’s rant, had me thinking “Hmm. Isolated city founded and populated by selfish twits who reject ALL forms of higher authority, from religion to elected officials to Communism. Gee, I wonder how this is gonna end?”

And what does the player see upon exiting? A senseless murder by a drug-mutated lunatic, and evidence all around that people were desperately trying to leave the ‘utopia’ of Rapture.

MelonCollie on December 20, 2011 at 11:11 PM

smiley on December 20, 2011 at 11:00 PM

Yeah overall games are a lot more fair about things than movies. That may change as they become more and more mainstream though.

Another thing I like about games is that the bad guy usually gets what he/she deserves. Not nearly as much hand-wringing compared to modern Hollywood’s junk.

Grayson on December 20, 2011 at 11:27 PM

MelonCollie on December 20, 2011 at 11:11 PM

I always thought most amusing was that the real bad guy was (SPOILERS):
The supposedly 99%-loving “man of the people” Che Guevara-style rebel leader who reveals that he manufactured the chaos and manipulated the people largely because he couldn’t take control of the utopia straight-up.

A Hollywood movie would’ve instead rewrote him as a superhero blathering about “the people’s fair share” and played by Sean Penn.

smiley on December 20, 2011 at 11:27 PM

Yeah, absolutely! Now excuse me while I embark on my 228th hour of Skyrim.

MadisonConservative on December 20, 2011 at 8:56 PM

I used to march in protest to bank bailouts like them, then I took an arrow in the knee.

DrAllecon on December 20, 2011 at 11:27 PM

…command to disable NYPD officers who are about to corner the bomber because they might prematurely cause the detonation…”

Hey, this game stars Obama’s buddy, Bill Ayers!

Kevin71 on December 20, 2011 at 11:32 PM

And I was just about to congratulate Hotair on not being home to any Skyrim fanboys then I saw this…

DrAllecon on December 20, 2011 at 11:27 PM

Pouty face.

EnglishRogue on December 21, 2011 at 12:01 AM

Makes perfect sense. Tell the people who aren’t required by the tax code to pay into the system that there isn’t enough money coming in, and there’s only one logical conclusion. They need to get more from those who DO have to pay. It’s only fair. Paul Krugman would be proud.

RRR4VR on December 21, 2011 at 12:22 AM

That reminds me. It was just about three years ago that I began ranting about the need to watch for the increased use of the word “fair” and “fairness”, as the harbinger of an all-out assault on the American taxpayer.

It’s here. They aren’t even bothering to veil the language as they had in the past. They’re going to take more of your money to make sure that your neighbor can eat while not bothering to look for a job. Nancy Pelosi says that unemployment benefits create jobs, and not one member of the alphabet media has questioned that statement.

As soon as the marginal people realize how comfortably they can live without having to try, and without having any of that money the government gives them taken back in the form of income taxes, more people will give up on being productive workers. The burden on the system will increase, demanding more from the fewer productive workers left, and the downward spiral will be unstoppable until a complete catastrophe ensues.

Freelancer on December 21, 2011 at 12:29 AM

CBS’s poll question:

“Should Taxes on Those Earning Over $1 Million Should Be Increased?”

Do they have proofreaders there anymore?

bmmg39 on December 21, 2011 at 12:47 AM

Can anyone find the link posted here to the survey which showed that only around 20-30% of Americans want the top marginal tax rate to be higher than 30%? I’ve been looking for it for weeks, since it basically disproves the meme that Americans want the rich to pay more taxes. When they’re actually asked to state how much they think the top 1% should pay, it turns out it’s actually LESS than they’re already paying.

updog on December 21, 2011 at 12:51 AM

Also interesting, in the original Rainbow Six novel, the main bad guys were eco-terrorists who wanted to wipe out almost all human life on the planet. John Clark, Ding Chavez and the boys dispatched them quite nicely. I don’t know if that was the plot of the original game or not.

updog on December 21, 2011 at 12:54 AM

MadisonConservative on December 20, 2011 at 9:07 PM

I moderate Gametrailers General Gaming and haven’t seen any threads on it yet. I don’t know about Politics & Debate, but I gave up on that section as there are too many ignorant 16 year olds parroting some neo-marxist drivel they will soon forget once they start paying taxes. When people don’t know the basic but sharp differences between Mercantilism and modern Free Market Capitalism, they aren’t worth the time.

Daemonocracy on December 21, 2011 at 1:09 AM

TugboatPhil on December 20, 2011 at 10:58 PM

Ms. Pac-Man?

bmmg39 on December 21, 2011 at 1:19 AM

ernesto on December 20, 2011 at 8:57 PM

That sounds amazing. I may have to check this one out… thanks for the info!

joewm315 on December 21, 2011 at 4:06 AM

This does sounds a lot like Clancy.

I read a book of his once about a group of eco-terrorists who decide to release a virus that would kill 99% of humans almost immediately. Except of course, for the 1% of eco-terrorists. This was all to save Gaia.

At the time it was a fun premise but seemed a little ridiculous. Now? Much more believable. Imagine a splinter group composed of diasaffected PETA and Sierra Club members, and headed by the Disciples of the Goracle…

CorporatePiggy on December 21, 2011 at 7:13 AM

Some additional game concept footage.

Rod on December 21, 2011 at 8:34 AM

How much would you bet that the plot takes a Die Hard twist and the “terrorists” are really thrives on stealing money from unsuspecting victims.

BohicaTwentyTwo on December 21, 2011 at 8:45 AM

Bishop on December 20, 2011 at 9:04 PM

Took my 16 year old out hunting the first time last weekend (black powder season). He got a 130 lb doe first shot at about 44 yards. Went through the heart and lung. His uncles and cousins could not be more proud.

He is a big Modern Warfare/Halo player and always kicks my @$$. Now I know that this gaming thing has been training him for.

mechkiller_k on December 21, 2011 at 9:25 AM

I’m probably the only person here who’s loving the new Zelda, aren’t I?

ZK on December 21, 2011 at 9:41 AM

mechkiller_k on December 21, 2011 at 9:25 AM

To this day my father scoffs at the notion that FPS video games have any effect on real-life marksmanship. I keep reminding him that I was playing Wolfenstein, Doom, and other FPSes since the age of 8…yet, he still doesn’t have any explanation for my natural accuracy.

MadisonConservative on December 21, 2011 at 9:55 AM

Rainbow Six is great, and oh yeah, fake.

Freeloader on December 21, 2011 at 9:56 AM

I might have to get this one for the PC. If it’s only for the console games, well, have fun. I can’t hit the broad side of a barn with the console games. I just can’t get around the controls.

Oh, MadisonCon, thanks for mentioning Skyrm. I need to buy this game once I get a better laptop.

Torch on December 21, 2011 at 10:04 AM

MadisonConservative on December 20, 2011 at 8:50 PM

Well, you’d expect the TP to be competent opponents. They’d be organized, study tactics and strategy, and be familiar with guns. The OWS crowd, you expect to make the Keystone Kops look good.

LarryD on December 21, 2011 at 10:24 AM

MadisonConservative on December 20, 2011 at 9:20 PM

Heh. Now I want to play a campaign. It’s been almost non top The Old Republic at my house since 12/13.

Esthier on December 21, 2011 at 10:54 AM

Yeah, absolutely! Now excuse me while I embark on my 228th hour of Skyrim.

MadisonConservative on December 20, 2011 at 8:56 PM

Glad to know I’m not the only one spending ludicrous amounts of time on this game.

Heralder on December 21, 2011 at 10:55 AM

That said, I read the comments at Game Trailers.com back when this preview was released and the comments were chock full clueless, anti-American leftie talking points and outrage.

Heralder on December 21, 2011 at 10:57 AM

This survey is like asking a pack of 8 year olds if their mommy and daddy should give them a bigger allowance or put a TV in their room. Of course they’re going to say yes. And with about the same understanding and consideration. That’s the thing about dependents, they always want mommy and daddy to give them more and see absolutely no reason why they should not.

PorchDawg on December 21, 2011 at 11:00 AM

Just let me play as the “bad guys” here and I might be interested in this game.

theodore on December 20, 2011 at 9:03 PM

Good to know. I hope your politics have also convinced you that guns are evil and should never be touched.

Esthier on December 21, 2011 at 11:02 AM

MelonCollie on December 20, 2011 at 11:11 PM

I especially loved how, for all of the talk about how Bioshock was a “take that” at Atlas Shrugged, in the end, the real villain is basically a Stalin wannabe who used communist propaganda as a springboard for power, and the nominal villain has done nearly everything he has done in order to prevent the real villain from taking over Rapture and invading the surface world.

It some respects it ends up deconstructing both the Hollywood “Glorious Revolution” and the Hollywood “laze-faire Dystopia” all at the same time, and without even intending to.

Voyager on December 21, 2011 at 11:17 AM

I’m a pretty big gamer and I miss the old Rainbow Six games where you had to plan out the entire level before you started doing anything.

Sammo21 on December 21, 2011 at 11:28 AM

Did no one else notice that what little you see of the villain looks a *lot* like Sean Penn? Or is it just me?

EternalMalachi on December 20, 2011 at 9:56 PM

I’ve noticed similar stuff on role-playing game sites.

GWB on December 21, 2011 at 11:37 AM

228 Hours, MadisonConservative? Here I thought I was bad, at a mere 188.
Just out of curiosity, which faction did you guys go with in the civil war questline? I went with the Stormcloaks, myself.

Walter Kovacs on December 21, 2011 at 11:58 AM

228 Hours, MadisonConservative? Here I thought I was bad, at a mere 188.

Walter Kovacs on December 21, 2011 at 11:58 AM

I’ve completely avoided taking a side. As a high elf, I can either side with the Empire that was about the execute me, or the Stormcloaks who are racist against elves and want to push them out of the realm. This game is doing a remarkable job of blurring the ethics and morality of each faction, with no truly discernable “good guys and bad guys”.

MadisonConservative on December 21, 2011 at 1:11 PM

As an avid Conservative video game player myself, all I can say is, you’re right (I know my peers, thats for sure) but don’t generalize. Some of us actually do pay attention.

Vaztor on December 21, 2011 at 2:49 PM

CBS’s poll question:

“Should Taxes on Those Earning Over $1 Million Should Be Increased?”

Do they have proofreaders there anymore?

Proofread we much.

Cthulhu2012 on December 21, 2011 at 2:57 PM

How’s the gameplay? Been a longtime WoW player, but it’s just not the same. Is it truly worth getting and how’s the lag with the new servers?

Skyrim is an amazing game, but I haven’t taken the time to play much yet.

njrob on December 21, 2011 at 2:59 PM

I was under the very strong impression that this game was going to be an elaborate hit job on the TEA Party.

@EternalMalachi: I cannot express how utterly disgusted I was with the puzzle sequences in Assassin’s Creed: Brotherhood (which, like Rainbow Six, is another UbiSoft franchise). I haven’t even bothered with Revelations yet as a result.

Cylor on December 21, 2011 at 3:18 PM

Also what kind of processor do I need to play TOR? I’ve long avoided WoW, NWN, and the like because I don’t like paying a monthly fee and I’d like to have some kind of life. Yet TOR, is so darn tempting. Tell me about the gameplay and technical aspects, please.

moniker11 on December 21, 2011 at 3:39 PM

Walter Kovacs on December 21, 2011 at 11:58 AM

I went with the Stormcloaks since that character was a full on Nord. Now on a second playthrough with an orc, probably not going to choose either.

Heralder on December 21, 2011 at 3:46 PM

If you guys are playing on a pc, some great mods are out for it. Foremost for me was the SkyUI which is a nice overhaul of the inventory system.

Back to Rainbow 6, I’ve been a fan of the franchise since the first game. As a prevous commenter said, I miss the pre-planning stage a lot. That was fantastic to be untilizing each team at the right time to exectue the plans you laid out for them. Even though R6 Vegas didn’t have that aspect, I do appreciate the cover system.

The concept game footage of this newest title seems to resemble Crysis. A convincing enemy should provide some satisfying gameplay though.

Heralder on December 21, 2011 at 3:53 PM

Not play it, no. But easily 3 out of 4 gamers seem to be incredibly liberal.
MadisonConservative on December 20, 2011 at 9:07 PM

Don’t equate the (mostly) kids who populate internet message boards with the entire gaming community. Your experience has more to do with demographics (youthful idealists, indoctrinated in our public education system, never having lived a day in the real world) and it being on the internet, more than anything else.

Nevertheless, not exactly a bombshell: People (mostly young) wasting their lives in fantasy world tend to be left-leaning, who knew?

jjraines on December 23, 2011 at 1:01 AM