Video: Perry going full populist?

posted at 10:05 am on December 20, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

If Rick Perry’s latest TV spot in Iowa gives any indication, look for a lot more populist rhetoric from the Texas governor in the final days before the caucuses.  Perry’s team launched this attack ad, called “Three Streets,” aimed at both frontrunners in Iowa.  Perry claims Main Street as his constituency, while accusing Mitt Romney of representing Wall Street and Newt Gingrich of getting rich off of K Street:

Don’t underestimate the power of populism in Iowa. It’s not a coincidence that Iowa went in 2008 to the most effective rhetorical populists in both parties, Barack Obama and Mike Huckabee. However, this attack on Bain Capital might make some of Perry’s recent conservative endorsers a little uncomfortable. When Newt Gingrich slapped Romney for getting rich off of bankrupting companies and destroying jobs, conservatives rose in mighty indignation over what they saw as an unfair attack on creative destruction, a key component of healthy capitalism. How is this different than Gingrich’s jab, which was at least prompted by Romney’s attack on Newt’s business dealings with Freddie Mac?

Politico notices Perry going the populist route, too:

Perry’s attack on Newt Gingrich and Mitt Romney came as he plodded across northeastern Iowa on a bus tour in which he has desperately tried to position himself as “the only true outsider” in the race.

“The choice shouldn’t be between a Democratic spendaholic and a Republican spendaholic,” the underdog said.

Linking Washington with Wall Street has become a central part of Perry’s stump speech. It allows him to tar Romney for his experience at Bain Capital and Gingrich for his tenure as speaker of the House in one swipe.

“If this was a map of the United States, I could draw the problem in this country very vividly with a straight line between Washington, D.C., and Wall Street,” he told about 80 people who packed into a café here on this town bordering Wisconsin and Illinois for the fourth stop of the day.

“Over the course of the last 15 or so years…Wall Street insiders and Washington lobbyists and Washington insiders have jeopardized our future so much with special-interest self-dealing [and] corrupt, fraudulent activities. It’s not right. It’s unjust, and we’ve got to deal with it.”

Perry did not mention either Gingrich or Romney when using the word “corrupt,” which has powerful and even criminal connotations. But his language left little doubt that he was taking shots at his rivals.

Perry has little choice but to go on the attack at this late stage in an effort to erode the combined standing of Gingrich and Romney.  Perry has run as an outsider since entering the race, so it’s not terribly shocking that he would point that out as a difference between himself and Gingrich, but Romney isn’t a Washington insider.  It’s telling that Perry has chosen to attack Romney for his Wall Street experience rather than his track record as governor of Massachusetts, which offers a target-rich environment but hasn’t succeeded as a campaign strategy for Perry — or anyone else in this race.  The question will be whether conservatives respond with the same high dudgeon to Perry’s attack as they did to Gingrich’s quip earlier this month.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5

Hey people, you ain’t gonna’ let these Perrykrishas run y’all off…are you?

cozmo on December 20, 2011 at 11:28 PM

Why should any US taxpayer have to pay for any illegal to go to college? What a joke!

LevinFan on December 20, 2011 at 1:09 PM

They don’t. This law has nothing to do with any taxpayer funding tuition. It gives the children of illegals “Texas resident” tuition rates. You can get that rate too if you live in Texas for one year. The children of illegals have to be here for at least three years, graduate from a Texas HS, and apply for citizenship.

States do not have the right to deport illegal immigrants. The Constitution makes that pretty clear.

My problem is not that Texas had to create this law for economic reasons. My problem is with the Federal Governement putting Texas, and the other southern states, in the position to have to deal with the illegal immigration problem.

tmontgomery on December 21, 2011 at 12:22 AM

For the record: Here (link) is Jindal today having to cover for Perry because Perry doesn’t know even the most primitive facts about his own tax plan. “Ooooooops.” It sounds like he has no idea what his handlers are preparing for him to mis-mouth. Prolly why he couldn’t remember the names of the departments his handlers told him to claim that he would close in the debate when he couldn’t count to three and asked Ron Paul for help. ;-)

kunegetikos on December 21, 2011 at 1:05 AM

tmontgomery on December 21, 2011 at 12:22 AM

Actually, they just have to sign an affidavit stating that they will apply for legal status as soon as they are able. That’s the wink and nod part the state put in, knowing most will never ever be able to do so, or choose to do so.

There’s been some rumblings lately that they may finally put some teeth into the last part and make universities follow up with the students and remind them that they promised to apply for legal status. Political CYA if you ask me – and unneeded busy work for unis that are already overwhelmed by unfunded mandate after unfunded mandate from the State.

WhaleBellied on December 21, 2011 at 1:13 AM

I hope Rick pulls out a respectable showing in Iowa because I’m cringing at the thought of having to cast my ballot for Romney in the general. However, if Ronnie Flowers pulls off an upset victory, then it’ll be all kinds of fun to hear the pundits and respectable republicans roar. It’s shaping up to be quite a scene.

Spirit Crusher on December 21, 2011 at 1:48 AM

Oh I don’t know, I usually don’t go into that stuff. But considering the handle, hatred of the perceived favor for south of the border illegals and the education of others, I would have to go with an illegal economic refugee from Copenhagen hoping to earn enough here to survive the taxation in Denmark’s welfare state and hoping we will buy products from them so Buy Danish can go back. The familiarity of the welfare state could also explain the support for Romney. And the hatred for Perry.
cozmo on December 20, 2011 at 8:13 PM

LISTEN UP, you ignorant Moron. The “Buy Danish” campaign was a solidarity movement in reaction to the Islamofascists who waged jihad against cartoonists and publishers who dared print the Muslim cartoons. These events initially occurred in 2005 and I count over 60 stories about it at Michelle Malkin’s website through 2008. How you missed this is beyond, me, but perhaps you were stuck in your sandbox when this was continually in the news. You can read specifically about the “Buy Danish” campaign here. M.M.’s entire work body of work on the topic is here (tagged “Jyllands-Posten”).

Furthermore, clown, I do not “hate” Perry, I “hate” populism. I “hate” it when politicians engage in class warfare – you know, like Barack Obama. I do not in any way, shape, or form support a “welfare state”.

In the future you may want to not bother engaging me unless you have a masochistic need to make a complete and utter fool of yourself.

You sure are obtuse but that’s part of your charm.
Dr Evil on December 20, 2011 at 8:45 PM

Do you even know what the word “obtuse” means? I presented specific, detailed analysis which shows that Perry would have lost the bet. You had two options:

1. Accept the truth gracefully
2. Counter with opposing information in a vain attempt to debunk the facts I presented.

You did neither. Which makes you, not me, look dull-witted.

Buy Danish on December 21, 2011 at 8:24 AM

Buy Danish on December 21, 2011 at 8:24 AM

Careful with that blood pressure. You make almost insane attacks and then get overly defensive when we worry about your mental health.

I cannot say I am sorry about it though, I just don’t care for the soft socialism you prefer, or your xenophobia.

cozmo on December 21, 2011 at 8:41 AM

cozmo on December 21, 2011 at 8:41 AM

I do not suffer fools gladly and you are a Prince of Fools. I won’t even bother wasting my time trying to understand why you are accusing me of “xenophobia”. Seriously? What the hell are you talking about? Oh well, perhaps you have confused the word with some other phobia like, Coulrophobia. Guilty!

Buy Danish on December 21, 2011 at 9:45 AM

I do not suffer fools gladly and you are a Prince of Fools.

Buy Danish on December 21, 2011 at 9:45 AM

Coming from a nutball hater like you, I take that as a compliment.

Like your comrades, you use debunked talking points to attack a candidate who is at best in third place. Ignoring all data that refutes your attack and whining because people don’t fawn all over your declared superiority over others.

And heck, you don’t even have the excuse that you are a noob. You are a long term ignorant nutball. And you’re so stuck in that perceived superiority of yours you miss the humor in your own diatribes. But I like you anyway. You are fun to toy with.

cozmo on December 21, 2011 at 9:54 AM

Cool…

” The online genealogy service Ancestry.com reports that Romney, Huntsman and Perry all have ties to former presidents, topped by Romney, who has six former commanders in chief in his family tree, including Democrat Franklin D. Roosevelt and Republicans George H.W. and George W. Bush.

Huntsman, too, is related to those three presidents and is a seventh cousin to President Calvin Coolidge.

Texas Gov. Perry can claim ties to President Harry Truman and, being a Texan, legendary Texas Gov. Sam Houston. The familial trees of other GOP candidates, including Newt Gingrich, also are being examined.

“We found it pretty remarkable that a number of people seeking to become president are coming from families with links to the presidents,” said Anastasia Harman, lead family historian for Ancestry.com. “It makes the primary somewhat of a family affair.”

The links come as little surprise to genealogists, who note that Americans are a lot more related to one another than they might think…

Ancestry.com found plenty of contacts for Perry in the Lone Star State. He’s first cousins, six times removed, with Houston, the former president of the Republic of Texas, Texas governor and state senator. They’re connected through John Paxton, a Revolutionary War patriot.

Though Houston resigned as governor rather than swear allegiance to the Confederacy, the site found that Perry has other ancestors who fought on the side of the Confederacy during the Civil War…”

workingclass artist on December 21, 2011 at 11:02 AM

I actually saw the clip of this earlier. Although I like Romney,
I don’t dislike Perry.
He seems like a nice enough guy and I’m sure has lots of “street smarts”. However it appears he’s not very “booksmart” and is not very agile if asked a question he hasn’t been totally prepared for.

Also he does not seem very studious of his own policies-which leads one to believe-rightly or wrongly-that his policies are actually mostly from his think tank and not himself.

Lastly some of the things he says I wonder how he prepares to get them done. His proposal to make congress part-time and at half=salary. He can’t do that by executive action and I suspect(actually)I’m positive that congress(both republican and democrat) will never go for it.

Most of his stuff I see as RED MEAT proposals for the base which have no chance to be implement.

gerry-moderate republican-mittbot

gerrym51 on December 21, 2011 at 11:09 AM

cozmo on December 21, 2011 at 9:54 AM

Like I said earlier, it is not wise to continue trying to engage me. You have not a single fact at your disposal. You are reduced to calling me a “nut” because you cannot possibly win an argument on the merits (possibly because you yourself are non compos mentis and too ‘confused’ to compose lucid commentary).

Your latest Hail Mary tactic? To throw out words like “xenophobic” to describe me (in the desperate hope I’ll be impressed you used a 4 syllable word?). You have yet to explain what the hell you are talking about. I have not said one single word about immigration, or in-state tuition, or the border or any topic which might be possibly be conflated by you to be “xenophobic”.

Then we get to your laughable assertion (again without a shred of evidence) that I have been “debunked”. That Perry is a Populist? That populism is dangerous? That he is attacking Wall Street? That he is attacking Bain Capital/Romney who had nothing whatsoever to do with the sub-prime crisis? That he is desperate? That Romney never worked “on” Wall Street (as your tag team pal Dr. Evil asserted)? Neither of you have “debunked” anything. Zero. Zip. Nada.

Finally, you can call me a “nutball” all you want but do keep in mind that people who invent their own reality (aka “hallucinate”) like you do are generally deemed non compos mentis.

Buy Danish on December 21, 2011 at 11:23 AM

Oops, last paragraph should have been deleted…I apologize in advance for being repetitive.

Buy Danish on December 21, 2011 at 11:25 AM

Buy Danish on December 21, 2011 at 11:23 AM

Ooow, be afraid of big bad buy danish stuff. He be smarter than us hicks. We know because he tells us…repeatedly. And he use big foreign words. Must make him feel better about the xenophobic stuff.

Heh, your mental capacity must grate on you as much as Romney being tied to Wall street does. Did it hit close to home on that one too, ya’ Perry fearin’ nutball.

cozmo on December 21, 2011 at 11:33 AM

Look at it this way: You can reunite the whole family by sending them all back to Mehico or wherever they’re from!

LevinFan on December 20, 2011 at 9:08 PM

No we can’t, and this is where a lot of posters here show they are either naive, ignorant or both. That would be outrageously, prohibitively expensive- especially since we’re already spending our Texas taxpayer money to do the federal government’s job.

kg598301 on December 21, 2011 at 12:57 PM

cozmo on December 21, 2011 at 9:54 AM

You poor blubbering child. Ask mommy for a tissue to wipe your nose. Then provide a single “xenophobic” comment I’ve made. Mommy will help you with that too (but you’ll find nothing so don’t think of it as a treasure hunt).

Buy Danish on December 21, 2011 at 2:03 PM

kunegetikos on December 21, 2011 at 1:05 AM

I don’t know if you have ever had major surgery — or know someone who has, but the after-affects of the anesthesia affect your short-term memory for a while… Perry had major surgery in July and has (or is) taking some strong pain medications due to the surgery. I see his memory issues are getting less common and expect as time goes forward we will see more improvement in that regard, I am not going to hold this against him, instead I am looking at his entire record which overall is the best record of anyone currently running for President in the GOP.

Rapunzel on December 21, 2011 at 4:03 PM

Rick Perry has spent his whole life in poltiics.
swamp_yankee on December 20, 2011 at 11:20 AM

Except when he was in the Air Force.

cptacek on December 21, 2011 at 4:22 PM

And in terms of executive experience, the governor in Texas is mostly a figurehead.

LevinFan on December 20, 2011 at 1:15 PM

Right. It’s the Lt. Governor in Texas that does everything. Hmmm, who was the Lt. Gov from Jan 1999 – Dec 2000? Why, is that…Rick Perry?

cptacek on December 21, 2011 at 4:35 PM

Rapunzel on December 21, 2011 at 4:03 PM

Sorry, but this does not sound very reassuring. How long is “awhile”?

Buy Danish on December 21, 2011 at 4:36 PM

Buy Danish on December 21, 2011 at 2:03 PM

This is just too juicy.

But the meme he’s a RINO wuss is just so much more appealing to some of you.

Buy Danish on December 21, 2011 at 1:34 PM

Just like the meme pushed against Perry about crony capitalism and in state tuition, right. Those are some real nutballs that push false memes…aren’t they.

cozmo on December 21, 2011 at 1:41 PM

You whine about others doing to your candidate what you are doing to the candidates that aren’t Romney.

I think you are projecting your whining. “Cause I certainly ain’t. I enjoy nutballs like you.

cozmo on December 21, 2011 at 5:04 PM

cozmo on December 21, 2011 at 11:33 AM

Oh darnit, I missed this gem from cozmo the clown. You used the word “xenophobic”, not me. If your complaint is that my use of the common Latin phrase “non compos mentis” make you feel like a “hick”, allow me to employ a French phrase this time: Tant pis.

You will get no “mea culpas” from me. Oh well, “tempus fugit” and all that. Or should I say, “et cetera”.

Buy Danish on December 21, 2011 at 5:07 PM

Sorry, but this does not sound very reassuring. How long is “awhile”?

Buy Danish on December 21, 2011 at 4:36 PM

Probably depends on the age around the time of the surgery — for instance anyone having bypass surgery is pretty well messed up going forward as it has a profound affect on the memory cells for some reason, but for other patients it usually wears off . The “amnesia” drug Versed is administered during surgery so the patient is unable to remember what happened during surgery… and while it does cause memory loss for the time immediately around the time of surgery it usually wears off little by little… which is probably why we are mostly seeing tremendous improvement in Perry’s debate skills, I imagine when he is very tired we will continue to see some effects here and there for a few more months… Overall I see huge steps forward in his staminia and thinking since he got into the race in August — a mere month after his surgery.

Rapunzel on December 21, 2011 at 5:16 PM

Buy Danish on December 21, 2011 at 5:07 PM

But now you are so focused on attacking others, you are no longer makin’ stuff up about the candidates who ain’t Romney.

cozmo on December 21, 2011 at 5:22 PM

~LOL~ read this article and particularly the second to last paragraph……

Rapunzel on December 21, 2011 at 5:23 PM

Rapunzel on December 21, 2011 at 5:23 PM

Still not as good as the first picture.

cozmo on December 21, 2011 at 5:26 PM

cozmo on December 21, 2011 at 5:22 PM

What the hell are you babbling about now? YOU “attacked” ME with mind-numbingly stupid comments (including your asinine attempt to parry over the name “Buy Danish”). You have yet to provide a single example to back up your idiotic allegation that I am “xenophobic”. Your vocabulary is mostly limited to the word “nutball”. It’s like dealing with an obnoxious child who nips at someone’s heels and then runs to mommy complaining that the big bad bully wasn’t nice to them. Grow up.

Buy Danish on December 21, 2011 at 7:27 PM

Your vocabulary is mostly limited to the word “nutball”.

Buy Danish on December 21, 2011 at 7:27 PM

But it fits you hatin’ nutballs so well.

cozmo on December 21, 2011 at 8:32 PM