Sarah Palin: “It’s not too late for folks to jump in”

posted at 4:45 pm on December 20, 2011 by Tina Korbe

In an interview with Eric Bolling on “Follow the Money” last night, Sarah Palin re-invited conjecture about you know what. The Iowa caucuses are just two weeks away, but “it’s not to late for folks to jump in” the GOP presidential race, Palin said.

“Who knows what will happen in the future?” she asked.

Hers isn’t the only “ghost of a candidate past” to haunt the race. Florida Gov. Jeb Bush also recently stoked speculation about a possible candidacy with an opinion piece in The Wall Street Journal. The op-ed — “Capitalism and the Right to Rise” — reads like “a campaign-like economic manifesto,” as Byron York put it.

But while Bush emphatically reiterates he won’t run, Palin doesn’t repeat her one-time announcement that she’ll stay out, making it infinitely more fun to resume speculation about Sarah than about Jeb. Still, even after the impartial consideration of curiosity-arousing statements from non-candidates, it’s easy to conclude, as York does, that GOP discontent with the present field — rather than any true intention to run on the part of Palin, Bush, Christie, Ryan or the rest of ‘em — fuels the irrepressible buzz about them.

Likely, the GOP nominee will come from the current crop of candidates — and, really, we could do worse. Remember the guy we fielded last time? Romney was popularly believed to be to the right of him. So, we can’t possibly nominate as poorly as we did in 2008. The Tea Party has made a difference in the presidential nominating process, after all.

Meantime, I just can’t wait for the Tim Tebow ticket in 2024. If you thought a Sarah Palin presidential run would be controversial …

In the same “Follow the Money” interview, Palin declares her pride in Tebow and positively proclaims herself to be on “Team Tebow.” I gotta say: I’m with Bolling and Palin on this. The Christian mission is full of creative tension. Called to share our faith, but also to avoid hypocrisy and displays of self-righteousness, we rarely get the balance just right — and, yes, that is understandably a scandal to non-Christians – but I can think of just one word to describe faulting a guy for trying to be faithful to his vocation: petty.

P.S. Totally superficial, but I love that crystal-trimmed coffee cup of Palin’s! It’s just to the right in the video. Cute, cute!

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5 6

Only that you know Romney. Really, how so? In a Ginger White-Cain type of way? : )

LevinFan on December 20, 2011 at 6:55 PM

Heh. You might be on to something.

mike_NC9 on December 20, 2011 at 6:59 PM

Romney is the only candidate that has proven over time that he is able to do so.
csdeven on December 20, 2011 at 6:51 PM

Say what? Proved what? That he could barely beat a low-wattage, no-name democrat as governor (the narrowest margin of victory of any republican) then slink out of office after one term with a 34% approval rating? Or get his as* kicked by Ted Kennedy? Or come in third behind old coot McCain and Mike Huckabee? Or otherwise go 5 for 22?

rrpjr on December 20, 2011 at 6:59 PM

She vaguely alludes to the possibility and the PDS whining/pining Palin Supporters crowd loses their feeble minds.

kingsjester on December 20, 2011 at 6:45 PM

Save Us Sarah wan kenobi…you’re our only hope

fify

Takes a rational conservative to do that though…

workingclass artist on December 20, 2011 at 6:59 PM

Dude, I never claimed I spent a lot of time on coming up with my screenname.

You claimed there was some kind of formulation and thought put into your “GOP Rank N FIle” screenname, that’s why I mocked you.

Dr. Tesla on December 20, 2011 at 6:59 PM

Ugh…shitcan the coyness. Palin never intended on running in the first place. The act was over a few months ago, and now she’s just irritating me.

GMO on December 20, 2011 at 7:00 PM

I think Romney needs to get some better internet cheerleaders.

This bunch isn’t going to get it done. :)

Dr. Tesla on December 20, 2011 at 7:00 PM

csdeven on December 20, 2011 at 6:58 PM

Umm .. we have a failed economy because of the socialism. We have failed leadership because he’s pushed nothing but socialist policies. A conversation about socialism is a conversation about Obama.

darwin on December 20, 2011 at 7:00 PM

Well we can’t have Palin irritating GMO. It’s unAmerican.

Dr. Tesla on December 20, 2011 at 7:00 PM

Of course he does … wouldn’t you? His actions and words however, confirm that he is at the very least … a socialist.

The entire democrat party is crammed full of socialists. Should he be the exception?

darwin on December 20, 2011 at 6:54 PM

And you really think the rest of the country is sitting around trying to decide to vote against him if only the GOP can prove he is a socialist?

No they aren’t. They know the guy has failed and they want to hear a solution. The extent of the name calling will be around Obama’s failure to lead and to fix the economy. And than is done for practical reasons and not to satisfy someone’s need to stroke their ego.

csdeven on December 20, 2011 at 7:01 PM

I’ll take my judgement over that of the Palinistas who shouted endlessly that Palin

would

run and win, any day of the week.

Hollowpoint on December 20, 2011 at 6:53 PM

You are accurate to use the subjunctive mood because whatever we said about her running was strictly conditional. You seem like a loser who backed a weak candidate who never had a chance. Taking it out on us won’t improve your judgment.

promachus on December 20, 2011 at 7:01 PM

csdeven on December 20, 2011 at 6:51 PM

Dude…Romney won a single election in 17 years of trying.

So Yeah…Romney knows how to lose

workingclass artist on December 20, 2011 at 7:01 PM

WHY does it matter? If he were a Marxist and a failure, why would it matter?
csdeven on December 20, 2011 at 6:58 PM

Oh, it matters. But that a Romney supporter doesn’t realize this makes sense.

rrpjr on December 20, 2011 at 7:01 PM

How hard is it to make a case that Obama is socialist. I think most people generally always know that.

Dr. Tesla on December 20, 2011 at 7:01 PM

A conversation about socialism is a conversation about Obama.

darwin on December 20, 2011 at 7:00 PM

No. It will be about whether or not Obama is a socialist.

csdeven on December 20, 2011 at 7:02 PM

Okay, I keep hearing how Mitt Romney rescued the Salt Lake City Olympics and “rah, rah, sis boom bah” blah-blah. Doesn’t anyone remember the massive taint that was on those Winter Olympics? Something about all that massive bribery that took place?

And Sarah Palin did more than just be Mayor, presiding over a huge population boom, and Governor, cracking down on government corruption from both Parties and cracking down on Big Oil for the benefit of Alaskans. There’s more to her 20 years in politics than just that.

As far as the delegate count thing goes, the early states are all divvied-delegate states. I expect this time around, the winner will indeed have over 60 percent of the total delegates if nobody else steps in. So the 300-some-odd early delegates, who will be divvied and not winner-take-all, are just a blip in the grand scheme.

Also, I love how Sarah Palin only has to answer questions presented to her and the Palin Haters immediately jump on the “drama queen” chant. It’s as if the lemmings have been pre-programmed.

Yes, I am a Palinista. I endorsed the Palin/West ticket many moons ago. I want Sarah Palin to be inaugurated in January, 2013. But she said she’s not running. And she hasn’t said anything that would make me believe she changed her mind. Which is sad, because we have the absolute nut Ron Paul with his foreign policy zaniness and his anti-Zionist garbage and his history of writing disparaging things of other non-whites, and we have Mitt Romney, who may as well run as a DINO and say the same things he does as a RINO (which would be all three sides of the argument, depending on time and place), and we have Newt Gingrich, who sat on a couch with Nancy Pelosi and professed faith in that false religion of AGW and declared DeDe Scozzafava was the best candidate for NY-23, and we have Rick Perry, who is to the Left of 80 percent of the country on various aspects of illegal immigration and tried to rule by fiat regarding TTC and Gardasil (which was crony capitalism and not free-market principles).

My first choice several months ago was Palin. My second choice, Bachmann (who has had a series of unforced errors but is still a better choice than the remaining candidates). My third choice, Perry, but that was only because no other viable candidate existed who was worthy of consideration. Mitt Romney would likely mean the death of Conservatism — even though he is clearly far and away not Conservative at all. And Ron Paul (though he can never win the nomination) would cause me to immediately find a Third Party candidate for whom to vote.

I doubt Bachmann can come back. I highly doubt Palin will enter. So it’s down to Perry, who I dislike on multiple fronts, and Gingrich, who I dislike on multiple fronts.

John Hitchcock on December 20, 2011 at 7:02 PM

Dr. Tesla on December 20, 2011 at 6:56 PM

Not taking the bait this time…Have fun!

Nozzle on December 20, 2011 at 7:02 PM

How is saying Joseph Smith a crackpot “religious bigotry”?

Somebody explain that to me. Either prove Joseph Smith was a prophet of God or drop the bigot card playing.

Dr. Tesla on December 20, 2011 at 6:48 PM

No one can “prove” that anyone was a Prophet.

Over 14 million people worldwide believe that he was a Prophet.

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on December 20, 2011 at 7:02 PM

Now that has become the monster Obamacare which will bankrupt this country.

workingclass artist on December 20, 2011 at 6:50 PM

The country’s already bankrupt. What Obamacare does is make sure no one gets medical care…since we’re bankrupt.

Who is John Galt on December 20, 2011 at 7:03 PM

If you want a wimp who is going to be hestitant to criticize Obama, Romney’s your guy. He’s made that crystal clear. In a sane world, it would mean the end of his bid.

Dr. Tesla on December 20, 2011 at 7:03 PM

Dude, I never claimed I spent a lot of time on coming up with my screenname.

Dr. Tesla on December 20, 2011 at 6:59 PM

Lesson #3: Never create your own facts. Assumptions never live up to expectations.

I never claimed that I took a lot of time thinking of the screen name. I didn’t say that there was much formulation or thought put into it either. These are all things that you assumed. All I said was if you knew the derivation, then you would realize that I’m anything but a party man.

GOPRanknFile on December 20, 2011 at 7:03 PM

How is saying Joseph Smith a crackpot “religious bigotry”?

Dr. Tesla on December 20, 2011 at 6:48 PM

The problem is that NO religion can prove its statements of belief, but they should be free to believe them. Bigotry disallows that.

OldEnglish on December 20, 2011 at 7:03 PM

LevinFan on December 20, 2011 at 5:56 PM

The Baier was weak. But only a spoiled rotten whiny brat has an unsatiable need to call people names.

csdeven on December 20, 2011 at 6:07 PM

Very entertaining.

tom on December 20, 2011 at 7:03 PM

steebo77 on December 20, 2011 at 4:50 PM

YEP!!!

RedLizard64 on December 20, 2011 at 7:03 PM

No one can “prove” that anyone was a Prophet.

Over 14 million people worldwide believe that he was a Prophet.

I think it’s up to Joseph Smith and his followers to prove the crediblity of his claims, or I’m free to call it BS.

Dr. Tesla on December 20, 2011 at 7:04 PM

Oh, it matters.

rrpjr on December 20, 2011 at 7:01 PM

It only matters to cry babies who have to call people names to stoke their egos. You don’t want to beat Obama. You want to label Romney a coward because it fits your meme. No rational candidate will get into a fight about Obama’s status as a socialist. Especially when his failure to lead and fix the economy is the issue he is most vulnerable on.

csdeven on December 20, 2011 at 7:05 PM

csdeven on December 20, 2011 at 7:01 PM

There is absolutely nothing wrong with calling Obama, and the democrats in general … socialists. It’s what and who they are. For decades the GOP has refused to fight back and refused to tell the country what’s been happening. I think it’s about time they started.

The problem isn’t Obama or “failed leadership”. The problem is the philosophy of “redistribute the wealth”.

darwin on December 20, 2011 at 7:05 PM

It’s not bigotry to call a liar a liar. Joseph Smith was a liar. I’d bet my life on it, and Romney’s 10,000, and his hair. :)

Dr. Tesla on December 20, 2011 at 7:06 PM

Dr. Tesla on December 20, 2011 at 7:04 PM

IMHO..It would probably be wise to leave religion out of a political discussion..:)

Dire Straits on December 20, 2011 at 7:06 PM

John Hitchcock on December 20, 2011 at 7:02 PM

Coin Toss?

I live in Texas and we got jobs,a balanced budget,revenues back to 2008 levels & a surplus…So it was easy for me.

Gig Em’
Perry 2012

workingclass artist on December 20, 2011 at 7:06 PM

Dr. Tesla on December 20, 2011 at 7:04 PM

You can think it’s BS, that is your right to your opinion. However, the rest of us sane people can believe your a bigot because of your continued use of negative adjectives and inflammatory language.

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on December 20, 2011 at 7:06 PM

If Joseph Smith were still alive and ran for president, he makes Ron Paul look sane.

Dr. Tesla on December 20, 2011 at 7:07 PM

John Hitchcock on December 20, 2011 at 7:02 PM

First of all, I just want to say that I enjoyed reading your post. I admire Governor Palin, but I do think she’s better off as a movement leader/activist than running for office. She’s still very important for the base.

To answer your question, the bribery scandal, if I recall correctly, happened before Romney took over. It was mired in corruption and Romney was actually brought in to clean things up, which he subsequently did.

GOPRanknFile on December 20, 2011 at 7:07 PM

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on December 20, 2011 at 7:06 PM

Good point..:)

Dire Straits on December 20, 2011 at 7:08 PM

What did happen to those golden macaroni tablets anyway…I’ve always been curios about that

workingclass artist on December 20, 2011 at 7:08 PM

Fine, Frederick,

You think I’m a bigot (you don’t really but I understand that this is politics).

So what?

In my view, if you believe Joseph Smith was a prophet of God, you are both ignorant of history and easily duped.

Dr. Tesla on December 20, 2011 at 7:09 PM

Dr. Tesla on December 20, 2011 at 7:06 PM

Well, if Joseph Smith was a Prophet, you are betting your life on it.

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs. The predominant usage in modern English refers to persons hostile to those of differing sex, race, ethnicity, religious beliefs or spirituality, nationality, language, inter-regional prejudice, gender and sexual orientation, age, homelessness, various medical disorders particularly behavioral disorders and addictive disorders. Forms of bigotry may have a related ideology or world views.

And according to wikipedia, you are a bigot.

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on December 20, 2011 at 7:09 PM

Dr. Tesla on December 20, 2011 at 7:09 PM

You do know the first rule of holes??..:)

Dire Straits on December 20, 2011 at 7:10 PM

Who is John Galt on December 20, 2011 at 7:03 PM

Texas is not Bankrupt.

workingclass artist on December 20, 2011 at 7:11 PM

Dire Straits on December 20, 2011 at 7:06 PM

Kataklysmic on December 20, 2011 at 7:11 PM

Mitt Romney would likely mean the death of Conservatism [...]

John Hitchcock on December 20, 2011 at 7:02 PM

How? We’ll all still be around. I’m not sure what you mean.

Axe on December 20, 2011 at 7:11 PM

csdeven on December 20, 2011 at 7:05 PM

Do you ever read your own posts.

derft on December 20, 2011 at 7:12 PM

And according to wikipedia, you are a bigot.

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on December 20, 2011 at 7:09 PM

Wow … so everyone’s a bigot! Apparently you have to accept everything, everyone, and every behavior to not be a bigot.

darwin on December 20, 2011 at 7:12 PM

csdeven on December 20, 2011 at 7:05 PM

I’ll leave aside the interlinear absurdity above, and focus on the question of why it matters. It matters because it’s his fuc*ing responsibilty as a putative political leader in a time of national peril at the hands of socialism — a peril directly produced by the ravages of stealth socialism which has gone unnamed and gained power in its namelessness — to make the connection between failure and the cause of the failure. Making the connection also depersonalizes the debate and serves the purpose of shifting from the cruder slur of “failure” to the greater issue, the nature of the national threat which has only incubated in the darkness of PC silence.

Figure it out. I don’t think you’re that obtuse. You can’t be.

rrpjr on December 20, 2011 at 7:12 PM

darwin on December 20, 2011 at 7:12 PM

You appear to need to work on your reading comprehension.

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on December 20, 2011 at 7:13 PM

darwin on December 20, 2011 at 7:12 PM

wiki :(

Axe on December 20, 2011 at 7:14 PM

The bigot charge is leveled by those who want to censor people from saying what they really believe about a religion.

In my view, a bigot is somebody who promotes intolerance, violence , persecution of people with different religious beliefs.

That’s not what I’m doing at all. I only accurately believe that Joseph Smith was a crackpot, a gadfly who associated himself with a popular religion to obtain some attention for himself.

My pointing it out was not to tell you not to vote for Romney, or that Romney isn’t bright. It was to make the point that you can make every one of our candidates out as stupid and nuts if you want to, and I’ve grown tired of the Romney supporters sneering at every other candidate at there as though Romney walks on water.

Dr. Tesla on December 20, 2011 at 7:14 PM

Coolidge_Conservative on December 20, 2011 at 5:03 PM

Actually I have recently given thought that she may be a slier old fox than we all imagine. For the sake of argument let’s just say she meant it when she told us Conservatives she was not running…that being said her “playing footsies” with the notion actuall works in everyone’s favor…look at the number of comments she gets on this just hereat HA. I propse that the reason she is doing this (and yes it is being done consciously). IS to keep the focus on her by the media and off of the GOP candidates. Notice how she ALWAYS “takes it to PBHO” and when speaking about the GOP candidates either tries to speak well of them or only points out what she thinks the downside of a policy is regradless of the candidate, thereby divorcing the policy from the candidate to be debated on its own merits. If I am correct in this she is doing a huge service to the Conservative Cause and helping make everone’s focal point of pushing the President to the dustbin of history!

RedLizard64 on December 20, 2011 at 7:15 PM

I’m dedicated to the truth. I don’t think Joseph Smith was a truth teller. I don’t care if that hurts your feelings or if it offends Mormons, I have the right to say what I think the truth is. They are free to challenge me on it if they want. That’s the nature of debates and interpersonal communcation. I will listen to any Mormon about this topic. Convert me, if you can.

Dr. Tesla on December 20, 2011 at 7:16 PM

You appear to need to work on your reading comprehension.

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on December 20, 2011 at 7:13 PM

Not really …

“The predominant usage in modern English refers to persons hostile to those of differing sex, race, ethnicity, religious beliefs or spirituality, nationality, language, inter-regional prejudice, gender and sexual orientation, age, homelessness, various medical disorders particularly behavioral disorders and addictive disorders. Forms of bigotry may have a related ideology or world views”.

darwin on December 20, 2011 at 7:19 PM

workingclass artist, I live in Texas as well, having moved here in 2010 from the bellwether state of Ohio (and John Kasich is just the man they needed for the job). But having always had family living in Texas and having part of my heritage date back to the Republic of Texas, Texas has always been near to my heart.

The reason Rick Perry is so good for Texas is due in large part to the Texas Constitution, which Tenth Amendmently restricts the Governor’s power. Rick Perry is a Bell Curve Tenther, which is a bad thing but not as bad as the Left or the Socialist in the White House.

John Hitchcock on December 20, 2011 at 7:20 PM

I think Paul works with the establishment to keep the libertarian vote from ever coalescing around a reasonable conservative choice. His supporters are the biggest attackers of Palin, next to Romney’s.

promachus on December 20, 2011 at 5:34 PM

FIFY

RedLizard64 on December 20, 2011 at 7:21 PM

Dr. Tesla on December 20, 2011 at 7:14 PM

Spoken like a true atheist.

Your language has been purposeful incendiary towards those of the LDS Faith; a large portion of which are Republicans. (Dirty Harry Reid is an aberration). If you honestly mean to offend those who share many of your conservative values, then you have succeeded.

There was no rational reason to bring Mormonism or Joseph Smith into this thread.

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on December 20, 2011 at 7:21 PM

darwin on December 20, 2011 at 7:12 PM

I can see how easy it would be to interpret the definition so, but, IMHO, bigotry creeps in when one not only does not accept another’s view, but actively derides it without a substantive argument.

I think everyone on this board knows that I am an Atheist, and have strongly argued my case, but I’m not about to let that colour my interaction with others.

OldEnglish on December 20, 2011 at 7:22 PM

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on December 20, 2011 at 7:09 PM

That’s the same definition of “bigot” the left uses against those of us that oppose Obama.

mike_NC9 on December 20, 2011 at 7:22 PM

I think that moderates, the ones we are supposed to pander to in general elections, tend to be less religious than Republican voters overall, and I think they tend to view Mormons as crackpots because they believe Joseph Smith was a prophet of God.

I think a lot of moderates put Mormonism one rung up the crazy ladder from Scientologist.

We are told over and over Romney appeals to moderates more than any of our other candidates, but I’m throwing cold water on that political calculation. I think a man that has a out of mainstream religion who is also so rich he can do nothing but run for president for years and even make 10,000 dollar bets in a debate like it’s chump change in the middle of an economic depression is going to be much tougher sell to these so called moderates than the Romney hacks want to admit.

Dr. Tesla on December 20, 2011 at 7:22 PM

Dr. Tesla on December 20, 2011 at 7:16 PM

Why would we want you?

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on December 20, 2011 at 7:22 PM

karenhasfreedom on December 20, 2011 at 6:13 PM

Well said, Karen. That’s why I trust her and would work hard for her nomination.

JannyMc on December 20, 2011 at 7:23 PM

mike_NC9 on December 20, 2011 at 7:22 PM

If you can find a better one in Websters please feel free to post it.

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on December 20, 2011 at 7:24 PM

Frederick,

You don’t get to decide what language is inflammatory and is acceptable.

That’s not how freedom of religion works, brother.

I think it’s inflammatory that you are calling me a bigot simply because I think Joseph Smith was a liar and a crackpot. But I’m not telling you not to say it.

In other words, I am the tolerant one here. You aren’t.

Think about that for a few minutes before you post again. :)

Dr. Tesla on December 20, 2011 at 7:24 PM

Frederick,

Is Mormonism the right way to heaven, or is it a Country Club?

Why would you want me? Is that the way to win over skeptics? C’mon man. :)

Dr. Tesla on December 20, 2011 at 7:25 PM

Dr. Tesla on December 20, 2011 at 7:09 PM

While many of us are not fans of Romney-it’s NOT because of his faith.
If you insist on attacking him on his Mormonism rather than THE ISSUES you likely risk the banner hammer…because you ARE coming across as a Mormon hater.
Just an FYI

annoyinglittletwerp on December 20, 2011 at 7:25 PM

Okay. This thread is getting good. It’s at 459 comments.

Come on people. Pick it up!

Where is Lourdes?

portlandon on December 20, 2011 at 7:25 PM

OldEnglish on December 20, 2011 at 7:22 PM

That defintion needs some work. Everyone on the planet has or is hostile to someone, something, or some view.

darwin on December 20, 2011 at 7:25 PM

RedLizard64 on December 20, 2011 at 7:15 PM

Sarah has taken media fire in the past to distract the media from other popular targets. The media is like a squirrel that is attracted to a shiny piece of tin foil. Palin has been known to keep them distracted for days :) Look what she does with a thread on Hot Air.

I do think there was a message being sent, and Tim Tebow was the symbol for the message.

Dr Evil on December 20, 2011 at 7:26 PM

OldEnglish on December 20, 2011 at 7:22 PM

That’s the beauty of America. You can call yourself an atheist, and we can try to sell you Nomex underwear.

mike_NC9 on December 20, 2011 at 7:27 PM

Frederick,

Is Mormonism the right way to heaven, or is it a Country Club?

Why would you want me? Is that the way to win over skeptics? C’mon man. :)

Dr. Tesla on December 20, 2011 at 7:25 PM

I see no reason to attempt to win you over. It would be a waste of my time, and I don’t waste my time on “gadflies”. This isn’t a religion forum. If you want to debate religion go to a religious forum.

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on December 20, 2011 at 7:28 PM

While many of us are not fans of Romney-it’s NOT because of his faith.
Just an FYI

annoyinglittletwerp on December 20, 2011 at 7:25 PM

You live up to your screenname. I’d ban you for having poor listening skills, if I was control freak.

Why don’t you let Ed and Ace and others decide who gets banned, and I’ll live with the consequences.

People have the freedom of speech to talk about Joseph Smith. I don’t care if it offends you.

Dr. Tesla on December 20, 2011 at 7:28 PM

Frederick,

You want to call me a religious bigot and then tell me it’s not a religious forum.

I don’t see Joseph Smith as a religious person. Thus, I don’t see how my mistrust of anything he had to say as religious in nature.

Dr. Tesla on December 20, 2011 at 7:29 PM

darwin on December 20, 2011 at 7:25 PM

Agreed – in spades! Unfortunately, like historians, most language professionals are of the left end of the spectrum, and are not above putting their own spin on things.

OldEnglish on December 20, 2011 at 7:30 PM

Dr Evil on December 20, 2011 at 7:26 PM

That’s it. 450 posts to get there.

rrpjr on December 20, 2011 at 7:31 PM

Dr. Tesla on December 20, 2011 at 6:07 PM

Excellent thoughts in your first paragraph.

RedLizard64 on December 20, 2011 at 7:31 PM

Mitt Romney would likely mean the death of Conservatism [...]

John Hitchcock on December 20, 2011 at 7:02 PM

How? We’ll all still be around. I’m not sure what you mean.

Axe on December 20, 2011 at 7:11 PM

As the Big Government Ruling Class Republicans say to Conservatives “You cannot win without us” and many of us Conservatives are starting to tell the RCRs the same, if Romney is chosen to represent Republicans against Obama, and he wins, he will represent Conservatives in the minds of many independent voters who happen to only vote during years with Summer Olympics and “don’t get into politics”. Thus, Romney will be “Mister Conservative” to the mindless drones that both Parties need to win the General.

Granted, the nation is 42 percent Conservative, 36 percent Moderate and 20 percent Liberal (with 2 percent who can’t figure it out). But that still means the Conservative position needs Moderate help. And those who “don’t get into politics” are easily swayed by Leftist Lies from the alphabet soup on TV. Meaning Mitt Romney, who is not at all Conservative, will be representative of the Conservative brand, just like GWB and GHWB before him were (and to a lesser extent, John McCain). And they all did damage to the Conservative brand, despite their being non-Conservatives.

That’s what I mean.

John Hitchcock on December 20, 2011 at 7:31 PM

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on December 20, 2011 at 7:21 PM

Excellent point..:)

Dire Straits on December 20, 2011 at 7:32 PM

Poor thing seems to be struggling with the reality that she is yesterday’s news. She blew it and can only blame herself.

salem on December 20, 2011 at 7:33 PM

The reality is, there are a large number of Romney supporters who will say all sort of mean, untrue things about her, call her stupid, nutty, zany, etc.

But these same people flip out if somebody brings up Romney’s belief that Joseph Smith was a prophet of God.

I find that amusing, especially in light of how ROmney supporters are perceived to be as cool, calm, intellectual types. They get just as emotional about their boy as any Palinista ever gets about Sarah. That’s the main point of my riff on here. :)

Dr. Tesla on December 20, 2011 at 7:33 PM

mike_NC9 on December 20, 2011 at 7:27 PM

Heh! I had to look that up – I’m in the great land of OZ.

OldEnglish on December 20, 2011 at 7:33 PM

These Romney fans have Romney’s academic grades and bio ready to cut n paste on internet forums in a skinny second.

But they aren’t cheerleaders, “cultists”, a little too zany for their boy. Not emotionally attached at all to Romney. :)

Dr. Tesla on December 20, 2011 at 7:35 PM

darwin on December 20, 2011 at 7:25 PM

OldEnglish on December 20, 2011 at 7:30 PM

Thank you, thank you.

– but please note you can do better just grabbing a dictionary. A bigot is someone intolerant; and “intolerant” in the sense of “refusing to tolerate” — fits just fine.

The wiki stuff gets … almost manifesto at times.

But look how far into the woods we’ve tracked :)

I’ll try to fix it:

PALIN PERRY ROMNEY — PAUL

Axe on December 20, 2011 at 7:36 PM

Dr. Tesla on December 20, 2011 at 7:33 PM

I don’t recall defending Mitt (in the past few weeks) as much as just taking offense to your tone.

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on December 20, 2011 at 7:36 PM

salem on December 20, 2011 at 7:33 PM

That seems odd. If she didn’t want to be yesterday’s news wouldn’t she have run? I mean, what better way to get money coming in and have the media spotlight on you 24/7.

I’m confused … on one hand Palin is supposedly a money grabbing attention getter, on the other hand she didn’t do the one thing guaranteed to get both.

darwin on December 20, 2011 at 7:38 PM

salem on December 20, 2011 at 7:33 PM

That’s honestly what you got from this interview?

I don’t think I’ve ever seen her more at ease with herself.

rrpjr on December 20, 2011 at 7:39 PM

That’s what I mean.

John Hitchcock on December 20, 2011 at 7:31 PM

Ah. You meant “death of Conservatism” as a political force, i.e., we’re voiceless (and screwed). Not necessarily the death of conservatism in America.

K. Thanks.

Axe on December 20, 2011 at 7:41 PM

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on December 20, 2011 at 7:36 PM

Ok, I hear you are offended, but you don’[t get to control speech or topics on here. I don’t intend to keep talking about this, but don’t think it’s because you were successful in intimidating me.

As far as I know, nobody’s made you moderater of this forum. I’d ask you to stop playing moderater but you are a control freak and that’s what you do. You see yourself as judge and jury of what can and cna’t be said, even on websites that don’t hire you for that role. There’s a lot of arrogance in that.

Dr. Tesla on December 20, 2011 at 7:43 PM

Her few remaining delusional, cultish fans who still want her to run remind me of chronically battered women who keep returning to their man, thinking maybe it’ll be different this time.

Hollowpoint on December 20, 2011 at 5:43 PM

This so much. She burned her cred with this ardent supporter; the people that carry on with their snuffed torches and dented pitchforks just make me laugh.

And I was quite enjoying the Palin freeze-out by the media. I hope Fox dumps her and she can go away for good.

Once burned, twice shy.

lansing quaker on December 20, 2011 at 7:46 PM

Whether Obama’s a socialist, Marxist, crony capitalist or communist doesn’t matter because all corrupt systems work the same: the Moscow apparatchik and the Chicago alderman with their hands out aren’t just brothers, they’re twins. And what Obama is is a corrupt Chicago politician.

PersonFromPorlock on December 20, 2011 at 7:46 PM

Texas is not Bankrupt.

workingclass artist on December 20, 2011 at 7:11 PM

True ‘dat. “They can go to Hell, I’m goin’ to Texas!”.

Seriously, I’ve lived there before and am heading back. Long before the nationwide riots start next fall.

Who is John Galt on December 20, 2011 at 7:46 PM

Dr. Tesla on December 20, 2011 at 7:43 PM

LOL! I have no illusions that my words on an internet page would intimidate anyone. If anyone is that easily intimidated, they need psychological help.

You really need to get over yourself, you really aren’t that important. I have no illusions that I mean nothing to you, please don’t get to thinking that you mean anything to me.

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on December 20, 2011 at 7:47 PM

mike_NC9 on December 20, 2011 at 7:27 PM

Hehe, this.

Thanks, Mike!

Who is John Galt on December 20, 2011 at 7:49 PM

I am a Christian and I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that Mormons are not Christian.

I said that to say this:

Dr Tesla, you seriously need to back off on your attack on Romney for being Mormon. His Mormonism has nothing to do with his ability to be President. Glenn Beck is Mormon and Glenn Beck is right 70 to 80 percent of the time. Being Mormon does not make you wrong about your politics any more than being Jewish or Hispanic or Black. Quite frankly, Dr Tesla, you sound either bigoted or Moby or both. Get off your anti-Mormon tirade and onto actual governmental issues.

John Hitchcock on December 20, 2011 at 7:51 PM

Frederick,

You are a control freak. You are the kind of person nobody would want in power. Imagine if you had power over me and I said something that offends you? I can see you jailing people for saying Joseph SMith is a crackpot.

I don’t know how you call yourself a conservative if all you do is whine about how offended you are and try to shut down people. Throwing the religious bigot card is pathetic, but I expect it from a Romney fan.

Dr. Tesla on December 20, 2011 at 7:51 PM

Hollowpoint on December 20, 2011 at 5:43 PM

Boring. Projection. She’s never even discussed until and unless HA posts a thread, and then the incidence of Palin phobia always outnumbers the occasional and benign burst of hope from someone that she’ll yet reconsider. The “cultishness” is all on phobic side. You still hold the delusion she may run, fear it, and can’t stop working out the hate and anxiety.

rrpjr on December 20, 2011 at 7:51 PM

John Hitchcock on December 20, 2011 at 7:02 PM

You summed the primary situation up very well and it deserves repeating.

I’m with you. I’m a Palinista and Bachmann was my second choice. When Sarah said no though, I at first went with Cain since he was leading the polls and I really wanted to beat Newt Romney. I thought he was unfairly smeared and it’s a shame he dropped out. I’m supporting MB now, going with principle over polls. I like Santorum too, he’d my second choice. Be nice to see either of them win or get a strong showing in Iowa.

I don’t think Sarah will jump in either unfortunately, but if she did it’d be awesome and I’d be behind her 100%!

LevinFan on December 20, 2011 at 7:51 PM

Frederick,

Dr. Tesla on December 20, 2011 at 7:51 PM

Yawn

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on December 20, 2011 at 7:52 PM

Turning a hole in the wall in Wasilla into a thriving metropolis.

Who are you supporting??

LevinFan on December 20, 2011 at 6:04 PM

I think the real question is: what are you smoking?

lansing quaker on December 20, 2011 at 7:52 PM

I think Glenn Beck is a nut most of the time. I think a man should be able to talk politics without crying. The man needs to get some pyschological help. His problem isn’t he’s a Mormon, it’s he’s just weird.

Dr. Tesla on December 20, 2011 at 7:52 PM

WHY does it matter? If he were a Marxist and a failure, why would it matter? It doesn’t matter because of the reason you are insisting on it. Calling Obama a socialist makes the conversation about socialism when the conversation should be about a failed economy and failed leadership.

Do you really want to get into an argument with Obama and the dems about whether or not Obama is a socialist? I’m sure the guy could come up with a few examples that would mitigate the accusation. What then? Press him with more examples about why he is a socialist>

That is just plain stupid! Obama has failed and the economy proves that. Then he can try and point to parts of his record that have not failed and our candidate can counter with more failures.

Don’t be a childish useful tool for Obama. Stick to his record and let him try to defend it rather than put our candidate in the position to defend an accusation that Obama is a socialist.

csdeven on December 20, 2011 at 6:58 PM

Wow, you and Mittens really are made for each other!

Can you answer my question: Do you think Obama is a socialist?

LevinFan on December 20, 2011 at 7:54 PM

Frederick, The Offended One.

Precious frederick, the world revolve him. Got to say say what Frederick approves of, or you burn in hell. :)

Why don’t you fax me a script of what’s acceptable to say, internet stalinist? I’ll type it in here for you. Send me your Romney talking points. Fax it to 1-800-Go#-Sand

Dr. Tesla on December 20, 2011 at 7:54 PM

Frederick, The Offended One.

Dr. Tesla on December 20, 2011 at 7:54 PM

Project much?

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on December 20, 2011 at 7:55 PM

Alright guys, the Romney lovers are all worked up. I interrupted their LifeLong Two Minute Hate of Mrs. Palin.

Let the Palin hatin’ resume. :)

I need to go run some errands. Been real fun.

Dr. Tesla on December 20, 2011 at 7:56 PM

I didn’t mock Christians. I mocked you for being a bigoted and a hypocrite. You are free to explain how believing in Jesus is any less nutty than believing that Joesph Smith is a prophet.

PLEASE! PRETTY PLEASE, try to explain it. We all need a good laugh!

csdeven on December 20, 2011 at 6:39 PM

You sure you want to pull at that thread? Jesus lived nearly 2000 years ago, and Joseph Smith, lived less than 200 years ago. Yet strangely, there’s manuscript evidence for the Bible tracing all the way back to the beginning of Christianity, while Joseph Smith said the Book of Mormon was written on golden plates that have never been observed by anyone but Joseph Smith, and that they were written in a language called “Reformed Egyptian,” that also never existed, though many people have conjectured what it might be.

At any rate, it’s fairly easy to prove someone is NOT a prophet of God, IF they claim God told them to make a prophesy and it does not turn out to be true. Deuteronomy 18:21-22 gives the standard:

21 And if thou say in thine heart, How shall we know the word which the LORD hath not spoken? 22 When a prophet speaketh in the name of the LORD, if the thing follow not, nor come to pass, that is the thing which the LORD hath not spoken, but the prophet hath spoken it presumptuously: thou shalt not be afraid of him.

So all that’s required to prove someone is a false prophet is for him to promise something will happen, and have it fail.

Whether or not Joseph Smith made that standard is too far off-topic, so I’ll leave it at that. Those interested can google Joseph Smith false prophet or prophecies or whatever. You’ll find sites taking both sides of the argument, of course.

When a prophet or spiritual leader speaks of heavenly things, it may well be impossible to prove the truth of his words. But we can evaluate the truth of things pertaining to this world. And when someone who claims to be a prophet doesn’t speak the truth of things we can verify….

tom on December 20, 2011 at 7:56 PM