Bill Clinton: Why yes, the media did favor Obama over Hillary three years ago

posted at 7:24 pm on December 20, 2011 by Allahpundit

Via Fox News Insider, this clip shouldn’t be as gratifying as it is. Surely no one needs Bill Clinton to tell them that the press was neck-deep in the tank for The Unicorn Prince in 2008. But it is gratifying, partly because of the hint of lingering resentment in Clinton’s reaction and partly because of the extra little shadow of illegitimacy it casts on Obama’s victory. It’s no secret that BJ didn’t think much of O during the campaign — remember this infamous exchange he reportedly had with Ted Kennedy? — but to see him acknowledge this when we’re on the cusp of another campaign where the media will be neck-deep in the tank for Obama is oddly comforting. Forget the bit at the end where he hedges on media bias against the GOP and never mind that, if asked, he would surely say he thinks Obama would have beat Hillary without the press’s help (she did end up winning New Hampshire, after all). Those are stock answers that any good soldier would offer for his party. The one about Hillary is not, which is what makes it so striking. No one’s under any illusions about the media’s corruption, including the elder statesmen in their favored party.

I’ll bet he has a little scrapbook stashed somewhere filled with stories like this.

Comments

Clinton’s hold grudges?

Nahhhhhhh.

portlandon on December 20, 2011 at 7:26 PM

The Jug-Ear’d Unicorn Princess cost you your third term, Billy Jeff. Ouch! :|

Jeddite on December 20, 2011 at 7:27 PM

Time for another opinion poll by the media to tell me who to vote for…

Seven Percent Solution on December 20, 2011 at 7:28 PM

The media favored Obama over Hillary and he favored Monica over Hillary.

Look what happened in both cases: somebody got screwed.

Lesson: don’t cross Hillary.

SteveMG on December 20, 2011 at 7:30 PM

I can’t believe that someone came along and made Bill frickin’ Clinton look good.

Flange on December 20, 2011 at 7:32 PM

It’s an idiot’s excuse for a lost contest.

lexhamfox on December 20, 2011 at 7:32 PM

Forget media bias Bill – Barry did not win the primary at all. He was selected by the democrats over your equally unqualified wife. The entire primary was a scam.

DeweyWins on December 20, 2011 at 7:33 PM

Well shias have had their chance, now its sunnis’ turn.
Right Clintons ?

burrata on December 20, 2011 at 7:34 PM

If Newt is the nominee then Bill is all in for Obama…if it’s someone else Bill will just do stuff like this.

workingclass artist on December 20, 2011 at 7:34 PM

Flange on December 20, 2011 at 7:32 PM

Nevermind Bill Clinton. Obama almost makes Jimmy Carter look good.

DRayRaven on December 20, 2011 at 7:35 PM

Um, this is interesting. In the other thread (today’s BIG one) some people were calling Palin an attention wh0re.

RedCrow on December 20, 2011 at 7:36 PM

He ‘would be getting us coffee’ is up there in the top 10 Billy Jeff quotes of all time.

BJ was decidedly pissed that a genuine moron beat the Clinton machine.

CorporatePiggy on December 20, 2011 at 7:36 PM

Never misunderestimate a Clinton. Remember, Chelsea is now being groomed on media manipulation techniques for use further on down the road.

a capella on December 20, 2011 at 7:39 PM

What evah.

Key West Reader on December 20, 2011 at 7:41 PM

At least that’s what he gathered from reading HotGas.

RBMN on December 20, 2011 at 7:43 PM

No one’s under any illusions about the media’s corruption

Which makes it all the funnier when progressives obsess over Fox News.

Go RBNY on December 20, 2011 at 7:44 PM

Well played Bill, both of them.

Mord on December 20, 2011 at 7:44 PM

You know what would be really neat????

Billy Jeff endorses one of the GOP’ers.

BigWyo on December 20, 2011 at 7:44 PM

I don’t like Bubba but I would swap him out with Obama in an Arkansas minute.

rightConcept on December 20, 2011 at 7:44 PM

Clinton has devolved as nothing other than a stooge for Obama. Lick it, Clinton.

Key West Reader on December 20, 2011 at 7:45 PM

Late 90s. Good times. Peace, prosperity, everyone was going to be a .com billionaire by 25.

Good times.

Yeah I know it was all a mirage built on a bubble and 9/11 was being planned openly. But still when I look back to ’95/96 to 2000, I have happy thoughts.

If Slick Will could run again in 2012, I’d vote for him over Romney in a heartbeat.

angryed on December 20, 2011 at 7:47 PM

Bill looks healthy, He’s not going to go on the record and state the media is in the tank for Obama. Bill Clinton is a loyal democrat after all.

Dr Evil on December 20, 2011 at 7:47 PM

Flange on December 20, 2011 at 7:32 PM

Nevermind Bill Clinton. Obama almost makes Jimmy Carter look good.

DRayRaven on December 20, 2011 at 7:35 PM

He makes James Buchanan look good.

Chip on December 20, 2011 at 7:48 PM

I hope Billy Jeff reads Hot Gas… Because Obama is making a fool out of YOU, and YOUR wife. And America used to like you both.. You are destroying your legacy by continuing to endorse this POS.

Stand up, Billy Jeff.

Key West Reader on December 20, 2011 at 7:50 PM

How far we’ve sunk that I now look back on Clinton’s two terms as a time of moderation. Keep in mind, I invented the Clinton Dart Board andthe Billy Jeff brand of TP.

DrW on December 20, 2011 at 7:50 PM

Good times.

angryed on December 20, 2011 at 7:47 PM

Agreed. As long as the balance (congress) of those years is in place as well. I’m conservative as they come and I miss the slick willy days. Good times for sure.

Hawkerflyer on December 20, 2011 at 7:54 PM

angryed on December 20, 2011 at 7:47 PM

The times of your life. Do you remember?

Key West Reader on December 20, 2011 at 7:54 PM

BJ Clinton…..yeah nice touch there.

Bill Clinton used to be high on the Mountain now he’s just another Obama bootlicker.

How those boots taste Billy Jeff?

PappyD61 on December 20, 2011 at 7:55 PM

angryed on December 20, 2011 at 7:47 PM

Well, I think the entire world would be happy with anyone but Obama. But Clinton is the only one who wanted to go after Osama bin Laden back then. The GOP was dead set against it and waged a huge PR campaign against Clinton. So that it was being planned openly was the fault of the GOP in that case. Sorry to say it, but it’s the truth. I mean, did the US get caught by surprise or not when they had a GOP President? ’nuff said.

I wouldn’t want a Democrat to get in. But I don’t like it when history gets rewritten because then we just end up with the same mistakes.

MrX on December 20, 2011 at 7:55 PM

Hawkerflyer on December 20, 2011 at 7:54 PM

When Americans weren’t run by Marxist Alynskiites.

Key West Reader on December 20, 2011 at 7:55 PM

Dollars to donuts, when the Clintons voted, I doubt it was for Barry.

GarandFan on December 20, 2011 at 7:56 PM

It has to eat him alive that somebody as incompetent as Obama left him loaying in a ditch. I remember seeing a clip of him in Louisiana during Obumbler’s oil spill where he made it very, very clear that he had done all he could to beat Obama. It had the told ya so feel to it.

Southernblogger on December 20, 2011 at 7:56 PM

MrX on December 20, 2011 at 7:55 PM

Idiot.

Key West Reader on December 20, 2011 at 7:56 PM

I was hoping Caroline Kennedy would make a good impression to the news media but after hearing her speak and using the word “like” over and over I actually felt sorry for her.

mixplix on December 20, 2011 at 7:57 PM

I must admit, it is pleasing to hear Bill acknowledge Billary got worked by the media. Typical liberal hacks used to swoon over them, now not so much.

RAGIN CAJUN on December 20, 2011 at 7:58 PM

MrX on December 20, 2011 at 7:55 PM

buffoon

RAGIN CAJUN on December 20, 2011 at 8:00 PM

Flange on December 20, 2011 at 7:32 PM

Amen.

The worlds just gets weirder and weirder.

Axe on December 20, 2011 at 8:02 PM

What is BJ Bill talking about? The media were wh0res then, for Billary and Jugears.
He’s just mad that they ‘assumed the position’ on their knees before Jugears!
I’m still mad that 3 years later the media has not gotten up from that ‘position’, and have developed callouses.(:o)

KOOLAID2 on December 20, 2011 at 8:03 PM

… but Barney Frank is still the ugliest chick I’ve seen.

Axe on December 20, 2011 at 8:03 PM

There’s something oddly comforting about BJ. He’s a typical sleazy politician, but everyone knows it and doesn’t expect anything more. Obama, on the other hand, is a true Marxist believer. That’s the kind of guy that’s really scary.

Romney is in the BJ mold. Gingrich I’m not sure about yet. If he really believes half of what he’s saying, then he scares me.

(Note that I’m not endorsing Romney or Gingrich. I’d vote for a doorknob first.)

Splashman on December 20, 2011 at 8:03 PM

“This whole thing is the biggest fairy tale I’ve ever seen.”

~William Jefferson Clinton on January 8, 2008

Christien on December 20, 2011 at 8:06 PM

I’m feeling oddly comforted.

SlaveDog on December 20, 2011 at 8:09 PM

Blinton is cow towing to O’Reilly.

Amazing.

Key West Reader on December 20, 2011 at 8:11 PM

Time for another opinion poll by the media to tell me who to vote for…

Seven Percent Solution on December 20, 2011 at 7:28 PM

And to tell us what to think.

Spliff Menendez on December 20, 2011 at 8:12 PM

Stand up, Billy Jeff.

Key West Reader on December 20, 2011 at 7:50 PM

I agree, except on one point, I’ve never, ever, liked Hillary.

But it is disgusting the way Bill sticks up for Obama after the shameful way his campaign treated her in 2008.

Then again, can’t say ol’ Billy Boy has always treated his wife with respect either.

Flora Duh on December 20, 2011 at 8:12 PM

I have always wished that someone would go back and graph over time the media campaign for BO vs his campaign contributions and electoral results — to see which came first.

Specifically — the press maintained that they were simply reflecting a campaign that was already hot. But that’s not what I remember. I remember Alter, Mathews and countless other opinion-makers appearing on TV pushing this guy on us before I knew anything about him. It was constant — what a gifted orator, visionary, yadda yadda.

My contention is that the money and volunteers started to flow to his campaign AFTER the press built him up — they didn’t reflect the buzz, they created it.

By the time he actually started to appear on my TV screen, he was built up to a huge size, and I was bewildered, because the politician I saw had few of the qualities so breathlessly ascribed to him.

Chuckles3 on December 20, 2011 at 8:13 PM

Good times.

angryed on December 20, 2011 at 7:47 PM

I’d have to agree with you. I was just old enough to know that the Clintoon clan were utterly devoid of morals…but they at least had an idea of how to run an economy. It really was the last hoorah for American prosperity.

Everything started to fall apart during Bush’s reign, and hasn’t even begun to turn around yet. What hasn’t been lost to outsourcing has been lost to idiotic laws or the feds picking winners.

MelonCollie on December 20, 2011 at 8:13 PM

Oh, puh-lease! Clinton knew how to run an economy? If he’d had his way, ObamaCare would have been a reality 17 years ago!

What worked then was a Dem in the WH and Repubs in Congress to keep him from going off the deep end. The natural antagonism served to stall a lot of damaging policies.

And that’s why I’d rather have Obama in the WH and Repubs controlling Congress, than Newt Romney in the WH with Repubs controlling Congress. With Obama, the Repubs will fight him tooth and nail. They’ll roll over for Newt Romney.

Splashman on December 20, 2011 at 8:22 PM

…but Barney Frank is still the ugliest chick I’ve seen.
Axe on December 20, 2011 at 8:03 PM

Ugly enough for obozo to name it to the Supreme Court.

Flange on December 20, 2011 at 8:24 PM

It’s an idiot’s excuse for a lost contest.

lexhamfox on December 20, 2011 at 7:32 PM

Wow, I guess Obummer really is the new flavor of the month for you useful idiots. Back when BJ was president, you were telling us how brilliant and politically savvy he and Hillary were. Now he’s an idiot.

AZfederalist on December 20, 2011 at 8:25 PM

Splashman on December 20, 2011 at 8:03 PM

Yeah. He is a sleazebag but at the end of the day he also (I think) likes being an American and in general thinks America is a good country. He may have different ideas on how to make it better (higher taxes, etc) but whatever, we can agree to disagree with a Clinton.

Obama on the other hand despises everything about America and his only goal is its destruction.

I think deep down Clinton loathes Obama. But he knows where the Clinton family’s bread is buttered. Keep your mouth shut and one day Chelsea will be a Senator. Rock the boat and she won’t be.

angryed on December 20, 2011 at 8:30 PM

In a stunning display of sheer idiocy, Mr X penned the following:

… But Clinton is the only one who wanted to go after Osama bin Laden back then. The GOP was dead set against it and waged a huge PR campaign against Clinton.

Uh, yeah, Billy jumped at the chance when he was offered Bin Laden’s head on a platter, not once but several times. If you are a paid shill, somebody isn’t getting their money’s worth.

… and then has the sheer audacity to write

MrX on December 20, 2011 at 7:55 PM

Your history re-writing skills lack precision and are frankly not very convincing.

AZfederalist on December 20, 2011 at 8:31 PM

… but Barney Frank is still the ugliest chick I’ve seen.

Axe on December 20, 2011 at 8:03 PM

I’d hit it.

Wait. Forget I said that.

lorien1973 on December 19, 2011 at 6:17 PM

Flora Duh on December 20, 2011 at 8:32 PM

Splashman on December 20, 2011 at 8:22 PM

Valid points.

But what Clinton did was adjust to the realities of 1994. He could have pursued the Obama plan and gone even further left. He didn’t. He tacked right, won re-election and stayed right when he realized it would benefit him. You have to give him props for that.

angryed on December 20, 2011 at 8:34 PM

My God, did Billy Jeff look terrible on that interview! I’m certainly not a fan of his or his wife, but I was stunned. An American president looked like a wimp. Why in the hell would he do it to sell some books?

I, for once, am speechless, and sympathetic…maybe it is because I’m a geezer and recognize when it is time to fold the cards and walk away?

Dingbat63 on December 20, 2011 at 8:41 PM

I might watch some highlights of a Chelsea Clinton interview with Barack.

SouthernGent on December 20, 2011 at 8:42 PM

So we now have a President so colossally bad that we’re nostalgic for Bill Clinton.

This thread reminds me of this clip from MST3K for some reason. :/

Aitch748 on December 20, 2011 at 8:49 PM

Am I really supposed to give a rat’s ass what Bill Clinton thinks? Seriously…

Moose Drool on December 20, 2011 at 9:13 PM

Nuance

Allendundit on December 20, 2011 at 9:30 PM

So we now have a President so colossally bad that we’re nostalgic for Bill Clinton anyone.

FIFY…and, the answer is, yep. Lawn Gnome wins on Ace’s polls.

Dingbat63 on December 20, 2011 at 9:41 PM

raaaaacist.

Marxism is for dummies on December 20, 2011 at 9:47 PM

MrX on December 20, 2011 at 7:55 PM

LOL, you just rewrote history right here.

F+ for effort, G- for accuracy. The only thing you get right is that Clinton had his Justice Department indict bin Laden in 1998; in said Federal Indictment Clinton’s Justice Department asserted that bin Laden was working with Saddam Hussein.

This was later confirmed in 2003, when Federal Judge Harold Baer, who was in fact appointed by Bill Clinton, ruled in the Southern District of NY (AKA Lower Manhattan) in a lawsuit by the families of 9/11 victims that Iraq played a role in the 9/11 attacks.

Just curious, Kid. How could the GOP President who was on duty in the short few months leading up to 9/11 (whose Transition Time after he won the election was greatly shortened by the Bitter Losers in your Party) have prevented those attacks?

Del Dolemonte on December 20, 2011 at 9:57 PM

Del Dolemonte on December 20, 2011 at 9:57 PM

The 2003 Baer ruling was almost totally ignored by the Democrat Media-the only 2 credible sources I can find the story are from USA Today and C-BS “News”, which confirms how they successfully Censored the story.

On the other hand, it’s interesting to note that another Bill Clinton-appointed Federal Judge in the exact same court, George Daniels, the other day ruled in another lawsuit by 9/11 family members that Iran also played a role in the 9/11 attacks.

The Democrat Media response this time?

In an historic hearing

In a blockbuster ruling

It sounds like the administration is finally putting Iran on notice

Dr. Goebbels would look up and approve.

Del Dolemonte on December 20, 2011 at 10:12 PM

I’m grateful for the overt media bias in favour of Obama over Clinton in the primaries — it is what turned me on to thinking more carefully and listening more closely to the media narratives and ultimately led me to abandon the DemocRat plantation and embrace conservatism lock stock & barrel.

(I still like Bill though. Unlike Obama, he’s genuinely intelligent and a good politician. His wife’s more of a leftist than he is)

theblackcommenter on December 20, 2011 at 10:14 PM

Why does anyone listen to this man?

TimBuk3 on December 20, 2011 at 10:16 PM

MrX on December 20, 2011 at 7:55 PM

says a lot about the state of education in this country

hoosierma on December 20, 2011 at 10:24 PM

For a Democrat, I actually like Bill. He’s actually been a pretty decent ex-president, and he is more towards center than the majority of the Democratic party. Did not vote for him, but having said that if he could run again, I can think of a few RINO’s where I would take Bill over the RINO.

CharlieCA on December 20, 2011 at 11:22 PM

Bill Clinton is the best politician any of us will ever see. Give credit where it is due. Skills are skills.

Republicans should just be happy they don’t have to deal with him anymore. Obama will never be on Clinton’s level.

Moesart on December 20, 2011 at 11:24 PM

Billy Jeff!

ForTheRepublic on December 20, 2011 at 11:43 PM

He should hold a grudge. Would be interesting to see the Clinton’s knee-cap BO this time…

southernms on December 20, 2011 at 11:56 PM

Flange on December 20, 2011 at 7:32 PM

Yep, compared to the little squirt, the little Marxist squirt we have now, BJ makes me nostalgic.

petefrt on December 21, 2011 at 2:38 AM

theblackcommenter on December 20, 2011 at 10:14 PM

As Dick Morris has said, BJ is largely a pragmatist, where Shrillary is an ideologue.

petefrt on December 21, 2011 at 2:46 AM

A part of me wonders if he wants Obama to lose. Maybe he sees the incompetence of Obama from a first hand source through Hillary’s reports or maybe it’s to allow Hillary one last time to run in 2016.

scotash on December 21, 2011 at 3:25 AM

petefrt on December 21, 2011 at 2:46 AM

You are right about “Shrillary” but I don’t see how Bill is more of a pragmatist than Barry when you compare them. Both are willing to throw anybody under the bus to further their own ends. No one is spared. Barry is just far less affable than the Clenis but less inclined to commit rape and sexual abuse. Both are coke heads and only their dead bodies would serve any purpose if they were allowed to rot in a field and provide nutrients to the earth.

swinia sutki on December 21, 2011 at 6:34 AM

The media favored Obama over Hillary ??

Ahhh..Not how I remember it….In 2008 America had a visceral dislike of the shrewish, arrogant Hillary….and nobody knew a thing about Obama, except that he was a “clean black guy” and had a great baritone….that’s what beat Hillary

BigSven on December 21, 2011 at 7:43 AM

please don’t insult our pravda that way.

acyl72 on December 21, 2011 at 9:09 AM

… but Barney Frank is still the ugliest chick I’ve seen.

Axe on December 20, 2011 at 8:03 PM

Agreed. I am sure that he is the catcher, not the pitcher…

rightangle on December 21, 2011 at 10:37 AM