Video: “The Dark Knight Rises” trailer

posted at 5:30 pm on December 19, 2011 by Allahpundit

Anne Hathaway gets one line but it’s a neon sign for the subtext: Apparently, Catwoman is the 99 percent. Ace is weary of heavy-handed messages in “Batman” movies, but that’s actually the only reason I might see this. If, like me, you don’t know the whole mythology and you tend to find superhero flicks tedious in a been-there-done-that way (rich criticism coming from a zombie-flick fan, I know), a little topical allegory goes a long way. Besides, from what I understand, the interrogation scenes in “The Dark Knight” were more morally ambiguous than you’d expect from a Hollywood production addressing torture in the age of terror. If Nolan ends up teasing out the occupiers’ more anarchic impulses, which seems like a safe bet considering Catwoman is one of the villains (isn’t she?), I suspect the movie’s more dialectic aspects will go down pretty smoothly.

Looks like there are plenty of explosions and fight scenes, too. What’s not to like?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Also, IMO, Eartha Kitt was the best catwoman, Puuurrrrfect.

vcferlita on December 19, 2011 at 5:42 PM

sorry, for sheer purfection ya gotta go with Julie Newmar (old style) of the supreme hawwwwwwwwwwwwwtness of Halle Berry.

whoa, frickin’ whoa.

PappyD61 on December 19, 2011 at 7:12 PM

Anne Hathaway as Catwoman is horrible!

All the female roles in this series have been miscast.

WisCon on December 19, 2011 at 7:15 PM

Horses were also used in WW2. The Germans are an example. They had advanced armor and tanks for the time but horses still provided alot of the supply lines etc.

J.S. Kline on December 19, 2011 at 6:29 PM

I did not know that either even though I’ve done a lot of reading about WWII since I’ve been here. I’ll catch up one of these days.

JPeterman on December 19, 2011 at 6:43 PM

There is a great scene in the last episode of Band of Brothers where the german army is using horses to retreat and a GI yells, “what were you thinking!”

Blake on December 19, 2011 at 7:18 PM

Would rather see Frank Miller’s Dark Knight Returns as the basis for a movie than the Bane storyline.

sultanp on December 19, 2011 at 6:51 PM

That WILL become a movie but that day is not today. Today, we look at the Knightfall saga, or at least Nolan’s unique spin on it.

thebrokenrattle on December 19, 2011 at 7:28 PM

Why don’t they make “the dark knight returns” into a movie? That’s one of thebebst batman stories ever told and i think it would make a really great movie. It would be worth it just to see batman beat the tar out of superman and him tell superman to always rememeber who beat him.

LordDaMan on December 19, 2011 at 6:08 PM

This movie is “The Dark Knight Returns” with “Knightfall” and “No Man’s Land” thrown in. Chris Nolan substituted Bane for the Mutant Leader and there is an eight year gap that happens in the movie.

Out of all the actresses who tried out for the role of Selina Kyle/Catwoman, Chris Nolan chooses the uninspiring Anne Hathaway.

Catwoman is more antihero than villain who steals for the thrill so its surprising she’s talking like a OWSer.

RedRobin145 on December 19, 2011 at 7:31 PM

Nothing says Hollywood like yet another wad of heavy handed messages about the sad plight of the 99%.

Thanks but no thanks, even when it’s in the bargain bin at Walmart.

gordo on December 19, 2011 at 7:31 PM

I have a theory that Nolan is a closet conservative.

I bet Christopher Nolan leans left or is apolitical… I bet his younger brother Jonathan Nolan(who helped write TDK and TDKR) is right leaning but not aggressively so. And there’s many ways to be “righting leaning”.

My evidence is that Jonathan Nolan attended “Catholic” schools(Loyola Academy and Georgetown) AND he helped bring Jim Caviezel’s(AKA Jesus) career out of purgatory by having him star in the TV Series he created called Person of Interest.

My other evidence is the differences between Batman Begins(which Jonathan didn’t help write) and The Dark Knight… and what is probably coming in TDKR.

ninjapirate on December 19, 2011 at 7:36 PM

Anne Hathaway as Catwoman is horrible!

All the female roles in this series have been miscast.

WisCon on December 19, 2011 at 7:15 PM

Eh… need to see the Catwoman outfit first.

somewhatconcerned on December 19, 2011 at 7:49 PM

I said to myself after anne hathaway was amongst the ows protesters that i would boycott her movies and i would also boycott morgan freeman movies as well..i maybe breaking both those boycotts with this movie =( it’s batman for crying out loud..

yeah i hate giving them my $ but i have to see the movie…loved the first 2 movies

also I won’t mind this anti rich theme if the people doing it are the villains..clearly bane is in charge so i think that’s the case

sadsushi on December 19, 2011 at 7:58 PM

Remember Bale in Terminator screaming we can’t stay the course! Tempest in a blogger teapot.

rob verdi on December 19, 2011 at 8:01 PM

No matter what it is, somebody will find a way to #*@& it up.

Not zany enough for a Batman movie. IMO.

mike_NC9 on December 19, 2011 at 8:03 PM

Tom Hardy, Marion Cotillard, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Michael Caine. Is this the trailer for Dark Knight Rises or Inception 2?

I wouldn’t judge Anne Hathaway too early. Everyone was miffed at first about casting Heath Ledger as the Joker. Look at how that worked out.

Dark Knight was as right-wing as could be. I highly doubt Nolan is going to make Bruce Wayne the poster boy for the Fleabagger movement.

Crusty on December 19, 2011 at 8:03 PM

I like these Batman movies. I find their social commentary interesting, but mostly I find them entertaining as all get out.

As I recall, when “The Dark Knight” ads first came out, everyone was whining about how stupid Heath Ledger looked and how he was going to screw up the Batman movies worse than Clooney did.

I believe in Harvey Dent, er, Chris Nolan. Also Christian Bale, Gary Oldman, Michael Caine, and Morgan Freeman. Regardless of their politics (because I don’t care – they are just actors), I find them to be excellent at their jobs.

Also I love movies simply as a form of entertainment. Sometimes I don’t think of them as anything more than a way to spend a couple of hours. The movies may suck, they may be awesome. But as long as I have fun, who the hell cares?

mjk on December 19, 2011 at 8:07 PM

I regret ever doubting that Heath Ledger could pull off the Joker. For now I’ll give Hathaway the benefit of the doubt.

mythicknight on December 19, 2011 at 8:26 PM

Aaargh, correction: It was Maggie Gyllenhaal in Secretary. Still wondering if they wrote Hathaway’s Catwoman as boring as she appears in this trailer.

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on December 19, 2011 at 6:11 PM

Yeah, you just got a little confused, Hathaway wasn’t in Secretary, she was the star of Secretariat.

di butler on December 19, 2011 at 8:33 PM

HEY! Back of an let me be 12 years old again for 90 minutes, will ya? ;)

axshon on December 19, 2011 at 8:34 PM

I read that reading ‘A Tale of Two Cities’ will be useful before seeing this movie.

Something about Madame Thérèse Defarge and Chapter 23, ‘Fire Rises.’

sentinelrules on December 19, 2011 at 8:42 PM

I never understood Anne Hathaway’s popularity in Hollywood or how she got to keep working in movies despite her terrible personality…

… until I saw her topless. Then I was like, OH NOW IT MAKES SENSE.

kaltes on December 19, 2011 at 8:42 PM

Is there an actress less graceful (cat-like) than Anne Hathaway? I’ve enjoyed watching her in other roles, but she’s never been cast for her graceful movement (Brokeback Mountain; Princess Diaries). For example, she was cast in Princess Diaries precisely because the role required a physically awkward young woman as a contrast to Julie Andrews’s grace.

Jens on December 19, 2011 at 8:44 PM

hey allah, don’t forgot to post this when you can…new act of valor trailer…movie looks sick

sadsushi on December 19, 2011 at 8:47 PM

Anne Hathaway isn’t Catwoman. I’m sorry, but she just isn’t.

She’d make a good zombie, though.

SlaveDog on December 19, 2011 at 5:57 PM

Have you ever heard Hathaway interviewed? Her vacuity makes Kim Kardashian seem like a Rhodes scholar.

cane_loader on December 19, 2011 at 8:49 PM

Eh… need to see the Catwoman outfit first.

somewhatconcerned on December 19, 2011 at 7:49 PM

Subtract the little cat ears and the mask, and she looks like Scarlett Johannsen as the Black Widow in Iron Man 2.

The punch line is, turning Catwoman into a wannabee anarchist is a serious inversion of the character.

In the comics, going back to the Forties, Catwoman has mainly been interested in personal gain, period. She likes the good things in life, as supplied by society, and wants society to continue so she can enjoy them.

When confronted by groups calling for wholesale destruction, she invariably attacks them, rather than joining them. If such a group hires her under a false flag, she will turn against them when she finds out their real objectives; the lady hates being used.

If she has any politics at all, Catwoman is fundamentally a libertarian. Which probably explains why (a) none of the other crooks in Gotham particularly trust her (especially not the king-h**l anarchist of them all, the Joker), and (b) why she often ends up allied with the Batman; simply put, they share the same basic philosophy, if you disregard their fundamentally opposite views on breaking and entering and burglary.

I’ll be interested to see if this movie, finally, gets it right.

/My guess would be, probably not.

cheers

eon

eon on December 19, 2011 at 8:51 PM

I like these movies. Catwoman is a bad guy so I’m not worried about her supporting OWS… If anything it makes their cause silly.

Guys, just enjoy the flick and know it will be helluva entertaining to watch.

LaughterJones on December 19, 2011 at 9:08 PM

It actually looks kinda boring.

Miller’s The Dark Knight Returns is being adapted as an animated straight to DVD project.

JohnBrown on December 19, 2011 at 9:10 PM

Catwoman: lately has been cast more and more as the “good thief”, usually helps Batman out. I’m not worried, though…Nolan’s usually pretty good about showing all sides of an issue, or making at least have the preaching be short-lived.

Nob on December 19, 2011 at 10:14 PM

“The banks Bat pooped on us! The banks Bat pooped on us!”

salmonczar on December 19, 2011 at 10:17 PM

You guys who can’t even see a little bit deeper into things and take things along with context are ridiculous.

Catwoman is a bad guy, or an anti-hero in this film.

Wayne is the good guy.

The bad guy is the “99%”

The good guy is the “1%”

Why are you getting mad? Wayne is an intelligent philanthropist. Hathaway’s character is a thief.

It portrays the issues quite accurately.

YoungAmerican on December 19, 2011 at 11:07 PM

It took about four viewings of that trailer to understand any word uttered by the characters.

Does Christopher Nolan have a religious objection to dubbing or voiceovers?

Mike Honcho on December 19, 2011 at 11:19 PM

I watched the preview. The strange thing is, before seeing the preview I was excited about seeing the movie (I enjoyed the first two), and I’ve been a Bat Man fan for years.

But there was nothing in this preview that makes me want to see the film. It looked boring.

TigerPaw on December 19, 2011 at 11:23 PM

Anne Hathaway is more like the Cheshire Catwoman. Her smile is freakish.

But that makes her good as a villainess. I’ll definitely see this film, but I won’t drive 60 miles round trip to do so. The real question is whether I’ll watch it more than once. I seem to watch Hellboy every time it airs, but The Dark Knight hasn’t been that captivating.

Obviously, I’m not part of Hollywood’s target audience. I can’t wait until we can get an IMAX video helmet to use at home.

flataffect on December 20, 2011 at 12:21 AM

The crew for this movie all rented Cadillacs during the filming and I personally changed the oil in the cars and lined them up to be rented. I feel as though I should get a free ticket for opening night seeing how I was so crucial to this film’s success.

NeverLiberal on December 20, 2011 at 12:35 AM

july can’t get here quick enough.

great trailer because its probably the last touchdown i’ll get to see hines ward score.

analog kid on December 20, 2011 at 12:37 AM

The Dark Knight was definitely right-leaning.

This Batman trilogy reboot is the best superhero, IMO.

John the Libertarian on December 20, 2011 at 1:15 AM

There is one and only one film that truly speaks to the OWS movement: When You Grow Up.

Project it on a sheet near any Occupy camp to clear it out within minutes.

saint kansas on December 20, 2011 at 4:51 AM

The trailer is not impressive. I saw the first two Batman movies. They were lackluster. Haven’t been able to watch another since.

rickv404 on December 20, 2011 at 6:32 AM

NeverLiberal on December 20, 2011 at 12:35 AM

Were they Escalades or cars? I always have to laugh at Hollywood’s glaring hypocrisies. If they practiced what they preached you would have been lining up volts.

Also in this vein, just because I love to bash Hollywood libs, have you noticed that the same idiots who favor all of this heavy business regulation and unionization all pack their stuff up and head out of the US every time they need to film something? I think they should officially rename Vancouver “Hollywood North.”

Free Indeed on December 20, 2011 at 9:03 AM

Free Indeed on December 20, 2011 at 9:03 AM

That or whichever state outside of California or New York will give them the biggest tax break. As much as these actors claim to love paying their fair share, they don’t seem to mind if their employers shop around for a tax cut before doing business.

saint kansas on December 20, 2011 at 9:54 AM

Catwoman does steal and give to the poor in the comics, occasionaly. But the people she steals from our Mob Bosses, which makes it a true Robin Hood style setup. But…this is not that.

Albatross on December 20, 2011 at 10:49 AM

Guess I will miss this one.

dogsoldier on December 20, 2011 at 12:45 PM

I guess if this “Catwoman represents the 99%” meme is the dominant thread for her character then 1) it explains why she was hobnobbing with the unwashed masses at the OWS protests, and 2) it at least means there’s a chance those insipid Guy Fawkes masks might be replaced with Catwoman masks at some of the protests.

Captain Scarlet on December 20, 2011 at 12:58 PM

RedRobin145 on December 19, 2011 at 7:31 PM

Sometimes entertaining villains will lie about their motivations, e.g. the Gruber brothers in the Die Hard movies. The politics are a smokescreen — they’re thieves.

DrSteve on December 20, 2011 at 2:40 PM

The Batman character – especially Nolan’s Batman – is the epitome of will power, self-discipline, and taking personal responsibility for one’s own actions and fate. The notion that Nolan is going to turn this into some Lefty life-isn’t-fair-cuz-you-have-more-than-me paen is simply ridiculous.

If I had to hazard a guess from what’s been shown, it’s that the overarching theme is going to be about the dangers of populism and demagoguery – how appeals to man’s baser instincts of jealousy and envy can ignite a fire that quickly burns out of control. And Selina Kyle’s character arch will be that of swinging from a wide-eyed idealist who initially embraces the Bane character’s acts of violence as a form of “social justice” to disillusioned realist who recoils in horror at what she unwittingly helped to unleash.

Whatever the final result may be, the experience of it’s predecessor foreshadows that TDKR will be an emotional buzzsaw that will leave you speechless at the end.

I can’t wait :)

rvastar on December 20, 2011 at 5:04 PM

I bet Christopher Nolan leans left or is apolitical…

No way. Did you not see The Dark Knight? It was very, very conservative overall (including the faith in humanity presented therein amongst many other points), and that is why it did so well at the box office.

Theophile on December 21, 2011 at 3:05 AM

Can’t jump on board all the Hathaway hate. Tall, thin, busty, and a beautiful, if exaggerated, face. Someone above even managed to complain about the size and shape of her mouth? Are you kidding, dude!?? ;)

So, she’s a typically stupid relativistic liberal. I don’t care about that. Most women in Hollywood are just that by career necessity as much as default. She’s hot – and I’ll happily objectify her while completely dismissing any deep opinions she offers up.

JasperBallbaggins on May 4, 2012 at 11:19 AM