Nation reporter: Food stamp reform motivated by racism, too!

posted at 8:10 pm on December 19, 2011 by Tina Korbe

In a recent lengthy piece in praise of the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, The Nation’s Lizzy Ratner selects a series of sympathetic examples to demonstrate the successful way in which SNAP acts as a true social safety net, a source-of-last-resort for the most desperate among us.

Food stamps, Ratner tells us, are the saving grace of women like Rosalind Block, “a middle-class single mother in Manhattan, who lost nearly half her piano students as well as her freelance gigs and medical coverage at almost the same moment in 2008 when her son became seriously ill,” and Carmen Perez-Lopez, who “suffered a stroke followed almost immediately by a breast cancer diagnosis in the fall of 2009 and quickly ran through her savings as she slogged through treatment.”

Who among us would wish to deprive these persons of help? The answer, of course, is nobody.

But some of us might want to forestall funneling money to folks like Leroy Fick, who remained eligible for food stamps even after he won a $2 million lottery jackpot, or a Seattle woman who was enrolled in SNAP at the same time that she lived in a $1.2 million beachfront home.

Ms. Ratner doesn’t mention either of those examples, though – and it’s because she apparently failed to research what might actually motivate food stamp reformers that she falls back on an implausible explanation for their opposition to the waste, fraud and abuse that still inheres in the program. Racism, Ratner concludes, is at the heart of any attempt to rein in misuse. She writes:

The deep racism at the heart of conservative food stamp critiques offers at least one clue as to why the Obama administration has been unable or unwilling to champion SNAP [Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program] as a valuable recession antidote: as the nation’s first African-American president, Obama is vulnerable to racist innuendo, which his opponents are only too happy to exploit.

She offers no basis whatsoever for this accusation. I’m still at a loss for what makes her write it — but I’m not at a loss as to how it affects the conversation. The “racist!” accusation is invariably invoked as a conversation-stopper. It’s intended to settle a debate without having to attend to the pesky matter of actually debating.

It’s unhelpful enough that opponents and proponents of reform alike seem to be able to do no better than to cite the most extreme examples of need and the most extreme examples of fraud. Such selective story-telling, even as it helps to humanize policy issues, also undermines liberals’ and conservatives’ faith in each other. As hard as it is to believe sometimes, I have to think the vast majority of Americans don’t want hard-up individuals and families to starve. Maybe we disagree about what the most effective way to help those folks is — for some, private charity trumps government programs, both in principle and in efficiency — but we don’t say societal obligations or the oft-cited “social safety net” are obsolete ideas.

But crying “racism” is far different than selective reporting. In Ratner’s case, when it’s supported with zero evidence, it’s sheerly an intimidation tactic. Furthermore, it cheapens the meaning of the term, obscuring our ability to detect true racism when it appears. It’s appalling and disappointing.

Honestly, I was tempted to be flippant with this story because I’m so very tired of this unfounded accusation, but I couldn’t bring myself to do it. The issues are all too serious to take lightly. Would that Ms. Ratner would feel the same way.

P.S. For another look at this, don’t miss Wynton Hall’s take at BigGovernment.com.

Comments

Actually,

Food Stamps were motivated by racism. As was gun control. And a whole bunch of other “Great Society” programs.

ProfShadow on December 19, 2011 at 8:13 PM

2012 is starting early.

Urban Infidel on December 19, 2011 at 8:15 PM

What’s next? Voter ID cards???

Kini on December 19, 2011 at 8:19 PM

Why is this page mostly white?
Answer: You guessed it.

Observation on December 19, 2011 at 8:20 PM

Hopefully that reform can include mandatory birth control shots or pills. (yeah, I know…)

My latest job was at a pizza shop right next to a whole frigging tower of Section 8 leeches. You couldn’t miss them; what with their litter of ill-behaved, ill-dressed and illegitimate children in tow. If the apartments had caught fire I think Joe would have broke out into a jig.

MelonCollie on December 19, 2011 at 8:22 PM

My 45 year old and very white brother quit his job last year and now sits at (my dad’s) home on food stamps.

Isn’t it racist to assume that only minorities are on food stamps?

CookeyD on December 19, 2011 at 8:22 PM

I see it all the time. People using food stamps to purchase food and when they are done they then turn around and pay cash for cigarettes and booze. Then they take their groceries out to their SUV and load it up. I’m all for helping people but now gas stations and a business here in town that sells fresh seafood advertise that they accept “EBT” cards.

milwife88 on December 19, 2011 at 8:23 PM

Lizzy is a racist name ….

BD57 on December 19, 2011 at 8:24 PM

At the beginning of the year, I started signing my e-mail “Vote Republican and only be called a racist one more time.” and it looks more and more like that just might be the mood of the whole country by 2012. I mean, how many times can these people chalk everything up to racism without there being some pushback?

Let’s face it, the Democrats have no policy they can defend so, the only alternative they have is, when you say they need reform (which all of them do) you call people racist.

It’s a pity we don’t have a free press in this country, because they would certainly expose the moral bankruptcy of this tactic.

bflat879 on December 19, 2011 at 8:25 PM

yesterday i was folding towels, and i instictively started folding the white ones first, then i folded the brown ones.

it’s true. i am racist.

GhoulAid on December 19, 2011 at 8:28 PM

Requiring food stamps to exchange for food is racist, people should be allowed to enter a grocery store and take what they want.

Bishop on December 19, 2011 at 8:28 PM

With regard to all things being “racist”:If nothing else, those minorities who have felt empowered due to the obama administration’s racist activities have shown themselves to be the parasitic whiners that they are. They are,however, math and English challenged in that they do not understand what the word “minority” truly means. The hard working people of this country (who pay the bills) have had enough. Things are going to change.

rjh on December 19, 2011 at 8:28 PM

Get to work losers! (and that goes for losers of all races!)

Pork-Chop on December 19, 2011 at 8:28 PM

Oh for shame! Your headline called it food stamps.

There is no such thing as food stamps in America because of the negative perception of that idea. Today we have the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) which is the new term for food stamps.

So isn’t there more reaction when liberal partisan whores like Lizzy Ratner makes absurd attacks on our nation?

Happy Nomad on December 19, 2011 at 8:29 PM

If you’re on food stamps you can only buy beans and rice. That’s it. Otherwise, fend for yourself.

SouthernGent on December 19, 2011 at 8:29 PM

If you had no idea what a racist was, but had to go by the attitudes and positions that Liberals smear as racist… you would have to conclude that racists are wise and admirable If this comes up it will become impossible to say anything in English and have it mean anything.

halfbaked on December 19, 2011 at 8:30 PM

Well,ya know,those Evil RightWing’rs just want to
get rid of Obama,so….that is also RACISM!!
(snark)

Thats going to be the theme,of 2012,

RacismCardOverLoadOverDrive!!

canopfor on December 19, 2011 at 8:30 PM

it’s true. i am racist.

GhoulAid on December 19, 2011 at 8:28 PM

+1000 LOL

Kini on December 19, 2011 at 8:30 PM

I know 3 people on food stamps,one Asian and 2 White.

One bragged to me last week about buying some crab legs and nice steaks.

bazil9 on December 19, 2011 at 8:31 PM

As the old racist saying goes – “give a man a fish and you feed him for a day, teach him to fish and he’s able to spend a lifetime drinking beer and fishing” – or something like that… s/

I have a half sister who’s been on welfare and food stamps her whole life. She thinks it’s owed to her and she always uses the stamps to buy only the best foods because it’s not my money so why shouldn’t I have the best”. Unfortunately I also have a brother who has not worked in at least 5 years – not because he CAN’T get a job, but because his current (3rd) wife is scamming social security disability and if he got a job they would lose free gobmint money. Makes me sick to think I’m related to them.

Stop the handouts and people will find work and earn a living.

dentarthurdent on December 19, 2011 at 8:32 PM

milwife88 on December 19, 2011 at 8:23 PM

You just had to make me go there, didn’t you? :)

predator on December 19, 2011 at 8:32 PM

RacismCardOverLoadOverDrive!!

canopfor on December 19, 2011 at 8:30 PM

NOOO Can! I can’t take anymore or my head will explode!

bazil9 on December 19, 2011 at 8:33 PM

Facts speak louder than words….its TIME TO PINK SLIP HOPEY!
===============================================================

Pink Slip Obama
***************

Video(Official Site Video)
***************************

canopfor on December 19, 2011 at 8:35 PM

SouthernGent on December 19, 2011 at 8:29 PM

Yep. I’d like to see a 2 week care package replace food stamps. Something with rice, oil, beans, canned spinach, canned tuna, canned chicken, eggs, and cornmeal.

jhffmn on December 19, 2011 at 8:36 PM

SouthernGent on December 19, 2011 at 8:29 PM

Then you’d stand next to a food stamp person and smell the stench that has imbedded itself into the fabric of their jeans. Then the ACLU would sue because people would discriminate based on the smell.

p40tiger on December 19, 2011 at 8:36 PM

Ms. Ratner doesn’t mention either of those examples, though

She’s too busy pointing her righteous nose in the air. And conveniently overlooking the BILLIONS in fraud.

As for the race card, Ratner is evidently unaware that it, like the Federal Government, is OVERDRAWN.

GarandFan on December 19, 2011 at 8:36 PM

OT: Power outage at the Steelers-49ers game. Transformer down. Rest of the area outside the stadium is lighted, so it must be limited to the stadium itself.

TXUS on December 19, 2011 at 8:37 PM

O/T,Breaking……………

House GOP announces payroll tax cut vote delayed until Tuesday – @NorahODonnell
11 Mins.ago
===========

Cantor: House will vote down Senate payroll tax cut compromise tomorrow – @LukeRussert
15 Mins.ago
=============

canopfor on December 19, 2011 at 8:38 PM

TXUS on December 19, 2011 at 8:37 PM

TXUS:Interesting,btw,it could be worse!:)
==========================================

Blizzard update: SB I-25 closed from Pueblo, CO to New Mexico – @ColoradoDOTStory metadata:
Submitted 48 mins ago by editor

canopfor on December 19, 2011 at 8:43 PM

canopfor on December 19, 2011 at 8:30 PM
NOOO Can! I can’t take anymore or my head will explode!

bazil9 on December 19, 2011 at 8:33 PM

bazil9:Idiot libs,the ends will justify the means…MMM..MMM..MMM!:)

canopfor on December 19, 2011 at 8:44 PM

canopfor on December 19, 2011 at 8:44 PM

Is the race card popular in Canada too?

bazil9 on December 19, 2011 at 8:46 PM

Lizzy Ratner, self loathing Jew and Palestinian/Hamas apologist. Co-author of “The Goldstone Report”. An uplifting tale of Israeli aggression against its peaceful neighbors occupying Gaza, who’s only minor transgression was lobbing hundreds of rockets upon their hosts in 2008.

She’s credible…/

MaxSplinters on December 19, 2011 at 8:47 PM

Ron Paul is a racist, right?

Ron Paul is a Republican, right?

Conservatives tend to be Republican, right?

Conservatives lead the charges against welfare, right?

Therefore, by association, y’all are racists!

aryeung on December 19, 2011 at 8:48 PM

TXUS on December 19, 2011 at 8:37 PM

TXUS:Here ya go!:)
====================

#BREAKING: It looks like the lights are coming back on at Candlestick. No word on when the @49ers-@steelers game will begin.
10 mins.ago

============================

from twitter.com/abc7newsBayArea

canopfor on December 19, 2011 at 8:50 PM

House GOP announces payroll tax cut vote delayed until Tuesday
canopfor on December 19, 2011 at 8:38 PM

I hope they drag this out as long as possible. Since barry is supposedly staying in DC until this gets taken care of, the longer they drag it out, the shorter barry’s early winter vacation.

lonestar1 on December 19, 2011 at 8:51 PM

I don’t like having my money forcefully taken from me by an oppressive gubmint and given to freeloaders. Guess that makes me a racist conservative.

they lie on December 19, 2011 at 8:53 PM

Just one man’s experiences. I do all the food shopping/cooking for our family. We have a nice income and I can buy what I want. Funny thing is the people in the bulk aisles including me and those purchasing whole chickens, meat on sale are not the ones who should be. Nope, they are getting pre mixed punches/juices/sodas. The punch and juices are much cheaper frozen. They buy crap that you don’t have to do much prep for. Hardly any produce, you get the picture.

A couple of years ago I was behind a “lady” in the express line. At least ten packages of “best of the breast” chicken—–not on sale and the highest cost chicken they had as well as other items. Since I was merely getting a loaf of bread I was irritated as she had quite a lot of items. After making everyone wait and giving out “whatcha goin do bout it” looks she then started paying with the food stamp coupons. Of course the cashier never told her at the start that this is an eight items or less line.

When one points these things out such as the food stamp SNAP abuses it is always heartless, racist, whatever. Maybe I might have worked hard early on and didn’t CONTINUE to make one bad decision after another. I have no problem whatsoever helping those actually in need and I am a caring person. My level of “caring” is sorely being taxed over the last twenty years.

arnold ziffel on December 19, 2011 at 8:53 PM

canopfor on December 19, 2011 at 8:44 PM

Is the race card popular in Canada too?

bazil9 on December 19, 2011 at 8:46 PM

bazil:Lol,Oh gawd,you’ll get ther Star Chamber treatment!:)

canopfor on December 19, 2011 at 8:53 PM

aryeung on December 19, 2011 at 8:48 PM

Careful or you’ll bring every neocon nut down on you with a vengeance. Nice post though!

MelonCollie on December 19, 2011 at 8:53 PM

Set all, the fraud aside that the writer brain farts on! (That is also “Racist!”)
Soon now… Nancy Pelosi will be right out to tell you how food stamps is the engine that is driving the economy, and creating milllll-lllions of jobs!

KOOLAID2 on December 19, 2011 at 8:54 PM

Ugh,O/T,man is Breaking News busy,

A ceremony tomorrow at Joint Base Andrews will mark the return of the US Forces-Iraq Colors and the end of the Iraq war -
********************************************************

@PentagonPresSecStory metadata:
Submitted 8 mins ago.

canopfor on December 19, 2011 at 8:56 PM

canopfor on December 19, 2011 at 8:53 PM

So you share our pain.:) Thx Can. I am out-Have a good night.

bazil9 on December 19, 2011 at 8:58 PM

the system is broken…but the looting is working …

MrMoe on December 19, 2011 at 8:58 PM

So if I understand correctly, it is only non-white people who use food stamps?

DrMagnolias on December 19, 2011 at 9:00 PM

no Dr… the abuse knows no color

MrMoe on December 19, 2011 at 9:02 PM

This is just part of the run-up to next year’s American urban riots.

GaltBlvnAtty on December 19, 2011 at 9:03 PM

If someone has been on welfare, SNAP, or get earned income credit for 2 years, they should have to file to have their name taken off all voter rolls to receive another cent.

They can take money or vote, but not both. It’s time to stop politicians using our money to buy votes.

WhatNot on December 19, 2011 at 9:06 PM

To paraphrase the Daily Show (I know), “Your race card is invalid due to the fact that we have a Black POTUS”

txbelle on December 19, 2011 at 9:10 PM

I would like to point out that by pure numbers, there are more whites receiving welfare than blacks. Something like 39% of welfare recipients are white, 38% are black. Now, I KNOW that when you do the math that more blacks as a percentage of their total population are on welfare than whites, but that’s not my point. More welfare checks are written to white people than to black people. Therefore, wouldn’t it be racist for Lizzy Rattner to say that people wanting to cut welfare are racist?

Or put differently, wouldn’t it be racist to assume that more blacks are on welfare than whites? Oh wait, that’s right. Eric Holder once said that white people can’t be victims of racism.

It hurts my head trying to think about it… hopefully someone gets my point.

TheLoudTalker on December 19, 2011 at 9:12 PM

The answer to why reform the food stamp program is the answer for a lot of other reforms:

It’s not racism. It’s because we just can’t afford it.

Paul-Cincy on December 19, 2011 at 9:12 PM

With computers today, it should be easy enough to limit what can be bought on food stamps. While I doubt most people would want to do away with the government safety net, there are benefits to charities handing out food baskets. We had a woman taking advantage of out church food bank and she was told so, nicely but firmly. You can’t do that with the EBT cards. I also think it’s more uncomfortable to ask an actual person that you may have to see again for food than the anonymous taxpayers. And welfare should be uncomfortable. Not painful but uncomfortable. Otherwise there is no motivation to get off. Why would anyone want to if they are getting all they need from the tazpayers?

hopeful on December 19, 2011 at 9:13 PM

I agree whatnot..if not, it’s always vote for the gravy train of free money. votes are not cheap at least for ~ 50% of us who are paying the bill.

MrMoe on December 19, 2011 at 9:14 PM

dont start with holder… I just ate..

MrMoe on December 19, 2011 at 9:16 PM

sticky keyboard, pardon the typos

hopeful on December 19, 2011 at 9:21 PM

I thought most people on welfare were white?
I thought it was racist to think that most welfare folks were black.

mnkatie on December 19, 2011 at 9:23 PM

It’s been said at least one go-zillion times:

This country has the richest ‘poor’ people on the planet…..

BigWyo on December 19, 2011 at 9:34 PM

It’s been said at least one go-zillion times:

This country has the richest ‘poor’ people on the planet…..

BigWyo on December 19, 2011 at 9:34 PM

The mostly-unremarkable cartoon Mallard Fillmore had a moment of brilliance on this subject:

“Only in America do people have to put down their cell phones to get change for their food stamps.”

MelonCollie on December 19, 2011 at 9:39 PM

It’s not racism. It’s because we just can’t afford it.

Paul-Cincy on December 19, 2011 at 9:12 PM

You’re right, of course.

But in the mind of the average Leftist there is enough capital hoarded by the evil 1% and evil corporations to cover all social “safety nets.” If only the government would confiscate more of their private property we could achieve Utopia. This is really what they believe. Just look at OWS.

visions on December 19, 2011 at 9:49 PM

if you view it though a global lens ….it is embarrassing to think of,
so much poverty… more good could be done with taxpayers money.

MrMoe on December 19, 2011 at 9:51 PM

anyone who chooses to buy American products just because they are made by fellow Americans is making a decision based on nationality. that’s just racism disguised.

eliyahug on December 19, 2011 at 10:10 PM

Could someone please remind me: wasn’t it the current First Lady that pushed Congress to agree to cut future food stamps in order to fund her school lunch “upgrades” program?

Sue Anne on December 19, 2011 at 10:16 PM

The charge “racist” has precisely no meaning nor effect any more. At least not to me and, I suspect, many others.

tngmv on December 19, 2011 at 10:19 PM

I guess this lady didn’t read that blog post by the young woman who worked at the Walmart in Scarborough, Maine. Scarborough ain’t exactly Detroit, if you get my drift. And she saw all kinds of food stamp fraud and nonsense. Maine actually has possibly the most generous welfare laws in the country, and it is maybe 4% black.

Go to Appalachia and you will see the ruination caused by generations of welfare and food stamps, as much or more so than in any urban ghetto. I know people from Kentucky who have dozens of relatives drawing bogus disability checks and using EBT for everything, the only thing they work at is figuring out how to scam “the government” out of more money.

Lazy and shiftless knows no color.

rockmom on December 19, 2011 at 10:25 PM

I am getting tired of all this racism rag too.
We cannot stop now, the attacks are going to get worse and more numerous. We must continue the battle. Our children and grandchildren will never get out from under this burden.
STAY STRONG and UNITED. ……. that is all

nchammer on December 19, 2011 at 10:49 PM

it’s true. i am racist.

GhoulAid on December 19, 2011 at 8:28 PM

That means you put the brown ones on top. Affirmative action?

Random Numbers (Brian Epps) on December 19, 2011 at 11:20 PM

Lazy and shiftless knows no color.

rockmom on December 19, 2011 at 10:25 PM

The ‘hillbilly’ regions have been hit especially bad. I’ve read a few books written by pastors who made it their mission to minister to those states…oh the stories they had to tell… Cheap booze, isolated locations and the nearest cop many miles away makes for a wicked stew.

MelonCollie on December 19, 2011 at 11:24 PM

Isn’t it racist to assume that only minorities are on food stamps?

CookeyD on December 19, 2011 at 8:22 PM

Yep.

cptacek on December 19, 2011 at 11:32 PM

I think we qualify for WIC. I haven’t checked, though.

But, I think that if SNAP was a restricted as WIC, we (as conservatives) probably wouldn’t have as much of a problem with it. WIC is designed so you buy certain amounts of meat, cheese, fruits, vegetables, breads, etc, and you have to get the cheapest on the shelves. You don’t just get free reign of the grocery store. No pop, minimal juice, no cookies, etc. Nutrition, not a blank check.

cptacek on December 19, 2011 at 11:38 PM

Hot air, all of its readers and all of its bloggers – except for me of course – are a heaving cauldron of racism and bigotry and hatred otherwise they would support the expansion of food stamps to everyone in the country.

Smedley on December 19, 2011 at 11:52 PM

I’m new here, but the SNAP and EBT programs make me crazy. We are white. We are business owners. We are conservative and we are struggling. BUT, we are not racists.

I stay home with our four sons and they are homeschooled. That is our choice, but there are sacrifices. We live in a very modest neighborhood and as a result, my kids’ friends come in every variation of color you can think of and that’s great. I learned early on to cook beans and rice, to make bread, to cook with cheaper cuts of meat or to skip meat altogether. We have a large garden. We shop at thrift stores. My kids think this is normal – and it should be.

I am not against a family getting some temporary help, but I am beyond tired of telling my kids no soda, no this, no that and then getting in line behind someone with a smart phone, a new manicure, a new baby (or worse a nasty little dog in a fancy carrier purse) and a boyfriend popping $$ into the lottery machine across from the check out aisle and then paying for the junk she is feeding her family with my dime. (Can you tell this happened to me just the other evening? I’m still angry.) I passed this couple in the parking lot and, sure enough, they were driving a new minivan. I stomped back to my 12 year old vehicle, had the kids load up the back of the car. As a special treat, we hit a drive through and I bought five $.99 Frosties.

Every now and then I see a family shopping responsibly with these benefits – their carts look much like my own. But, it’s few and far between.

I want a manicure! I want a cool phone.

all4mine on December 20, 2011 at 12:51 AM

No one has mentioned commodoties. Before foodstamps (I was a cashier in a store when they came out)..there was commodoties. You went to the guvment office and they gave you a box of flour/cheese/powdered milk/beans/rice etc. Instead of paying producers to store the flour/cheese/powdered milk/beans/rice etc, lets go back to that form of assistance.

Larr
USN-RET

HawtGas on December 20, 2011 at 6:30 AM

Ms. Tina Korbe, Well said!

Cleombrotus on December 20, 2011 at 6:57 AM

This is just part of the run-up to next year’s American urban riots.

GaltBlvnAtty on December 19, 2011 at 9:03 PM

This

Cleombrotus on December 20, 2011 at 7:03 AM

I’m a racist.
Vote Republican and get this THUG out of office.

tmgrant on December 20, 2011 at 7:22 AM

Things are going to change.

rjh on December 19, 2011 at 8:28 PM

Read Buchanan’s latest book, rjh? The change that’s coming might not be what you have in mind.

Cleombrotus on December 20, 2011 at 7:26 AM

That means you put the brown ones on top. Affirmative action?

Random Numbers (Brian Epps) on December 19, 2011 at 11:20 PM

I’m humbled. I just realize I’m a separate but equal person. I’m ashamed to admit — I separate my whites from my colors.

I even wash them separately.

Axe on December 20, 2011 at 8:00 AM

I worked as a stockboy back in 1992 while in high school. I learned to really hate the days when people would get their food stamps in the mail. I saw the abuse of the food stamp program on an almost daily basis by many “down-and-out” people as I loaded groceries in their brand new caddy.

I remember helping several people load their 2 grocery carts of food they bought with food stamps into their brand new corvette or cadillac. There was one woman who had 3 carts full of groceries (by the time I had bagged everything). Every single item was paid for with food stamps, except the bottle of booze and her cartons of cigarettes. I had to figure out how to stuff it into a 1991 corvette.

Several of these people worked at a local factory where the wages were above par for the area. I don’t know how they got assistance like they did and still worked 40 to 60 hours a week making a decent wage. My father worked in this same plant and we weren’t on any sort of program. We didn’t need it.

Torch on December 20, 2011 at 10:26 AM

Racist democrats and liberals want to keep the negros in the government plantation. As long as the negros are in the plantation, they are dependent of their masters for everything they need to live. So, if this is what the negros want, so be it.

rjulio on December 20, 2011 at 11:22 AM

Strawman, paging strawman!

neyney on December 20, 2011 at 11:59 AM

rockmom on December 19, 2011 at 10:25 PM

I grew up in Scarboro, Maine, and my Mom used to work at that Walmart, and I used to bag groceries at a different grocery store when I was in high school – and we’ve seen it all. I regularly used to bag the best foods (lobster, deli meats, etc) for people paying with food stamps, then help load them into nice new Cadillacs. A few years ago my Mom once took my half-sister (not my Mom’s biological offspring) grocery shopping (see my prior post) because my half-sister didn’t have a car. While my Mom bought generic everything because she had a limited budget on social security, my half-sister was picking up all the top quality stuff to buy with food stamps. My Mom lit into her over it and my hlaf-sister’s response was “Why shouldn’t I have the best? It’s not my money.” My Mom did explain in no uncertain terms thats exactly WHY she should not be getting the best. You can buy the best stuff when you EARN the money.

The entitlement attitude MUST be broken!!! And that can only be done by shutting off the gravy train to make them go EARN a living.

dentarthurdent on December 20, 2011 at 12:57 PM

It’s a safety net, not a hammock…

Big John on December 20, 2011 at 1:02 PM

OK. I wasn’t gonna but…have to. You want to know what free food does to the sheeple?

If you have deer in your area (neighborhood, suburb, whatever), put out a little corn (just a little).

Day 1: 1 maybe 2 deer show up, nibble a bit then start eating the grass in the yard

Day 2: 2 maybe 4 deer show, nibble a bit more and start looking around for more of it.

Day 3: 10 deer show, they start fighting over the crumbs, never even look at the grass, and stare at you like “where’s my food?”

So it is completely natural, just irritating and completely within our control.

landowner on December 20, 2011 at 2:39 PM