Bradley Manning has “gender issues”

posted at 2:00 pm on December 18, 2011 by Jazz Shaw

Even as we watch the close of the Iraq war – or at least our direct, military involvement in it – one of the lingering stories which came out of the conflict continues to unfold. Accused traitor Bradley Manning has finally begun his trial, with a pre-trial hearing taking place at Fort Meade army base in Maryland on charges that he leaked hundreds of thousands of classified documents. The expected five day proceeding will determine whether or not Manning will go on to a full court martial.

His defense is apparently trying a different tactic, claiming that Manning never should have been given access to the material in the first place.

His defence lawyer, David Coombs, highlighted emails his client had sent to a superior officer explaining that confusion about his gender identity was impacting on his ability to do his job.

Investigators admitted they had found evidence that Pte Manning had created an online alter ego called “Breanna Manning”.

The soldier had also reportedly assaulted a superior, turned over a table, damaged a computer and on another occasion was found “curled up in a ball”…

The defence says Pte Manning was suffering from stress, as a homosexual soldier at a time when soldiers in the US military could not be open about their sexuality – under the “don’t ask, don’t tell” policy, which has since been repealed by US President Barack Obama.

His defence team is also expected to argue that little harm came of the leaks, and that their release was in the greater public interest.

I’ve been following this story for a long time and have sat through numerous conference calls put on by his supporters and his defense team. This seems to represent a dramatic shift from what we’ve been hearing all along. Daniel Ellsberg (of Pentagon Papers fame) has become Manning’s biggest cheerleader and has been positing all along that Manning was some sort of hero, blowing the whistle on alleged wrongdoing and serving a “higher cause” than following his orders. Now, however, it seems more like they’re going with some sort of insanity defense.

Of course, it’s hard to blame them for having to come up with something to try. Manning is facing charges of Aiding the Enemy during a time of war, which can bring the death penalty. (Though the Army is still insisting that they’re just pushing for life in prison, at least for now.) But one thing seems clear: nobody is even suggesting at this point that he didn’t release the information in violation of his orders. Only that he may have been too “disturbed” to have been trusted with the material in the first place.

Now, I’m neither an attorney nor a psychologist, but somehow I was under the impression that we weren’t treating sexual orientation or “gender alignment” (whatever that means) as “diseases” any more, right? So Manning may be under the impression that he’s a female? Fine by me. Then she still took it upon herself to unleash secret material, possibly endangering the lives of fellow soldiers and intelligence operatives in the field – again… allegedly, until such time as the charges are proven at court martial. I suppose I’m just not clear on why that makes any difference.

By the end of this coming week we should know if we’re moving forward to court martial, as well as when and where it will happen. We’ll keep you updated.

Addendum (Ed):  I think this is less a defense than a sentencing strategy.  It won’t hold up as an insanity plea, even if a court-martial has any such option, so it looks more like they’re stipulating that the evidence will prove Manning did what the Army alleges.  This is almost certainly their idea of mitigating circumstances in order to get a lower sentence for Manning, although Jazz’ point on the sudden embrace of gender issues as mental illness is still very, very salient indeed.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Winghunter on December 18, 2011 at 3:42 PM

2000 military chaplains balk at pentagon same-sex marriage memo.

workingclass artist on December 18, 2011 at 3:56 PM

Bradley Manning has “gender issues”

…then execute him in a dress…works for me.

Have we gone from “we’re homosexuals, and we just want to play in your reindeer games” to “we’re homosexuals, and let us get away with anything once we play the ‘gay’ card”? Where are the majority of homosexuals I’ve heard about who just want to live their lifestyle, to decry this ruse? Are there any? Are they skulking with the majority of Muslims who’ve yet to decry suicide bombing and beheading people on videotape?

You’re either a citizen or you aren’t. The whole point to the ’60′s Civil Rights movement — or any civil rights movement, for that matter — was to extend the rights and responsibilities of citizens to the broader population. Citizenship isn’t the preserve of one color over another, one clique over another.

…but, since 1964 and the Civil Rights Act, we’ve seen a cottage industry pop up hoping to excuse peoples’ sociopathic, criminal and now treasonous conduct on the basis of the damage done to their gentle souls by a heartless society which denied them their “butterfly moment”…emerging from the chrysalis as “meeeeeeee!”…

…mind you, while their souls might’ve been gentle and fragile, their hearts were not…flint-hearted outrages occur every day, and there’s an army of attorneys, advocates and journalists on hand, almost on speed-dial, to rush to the “rescue” of these “gentle souls” after they’ve killed, robbed, raped, or, as in this case, wholesale betrayed.

…so…take the utilitarian approach…they guy’s obviously disfunctional…obey the law…put another way, do the humane thing…put him out of our mysery…you’d shoot a mangy, rabid cur, wouldn’t you?

Puritan1648 on December 18, 2011 at 3:57 PM

What would encourage such a person to join the military?

OldEnglish on December 18, 2011 at 2:04 PM

A recruiter?

MikeA on December 18, 2011 at 2:06 PM

Reminds me of a scene from the movie “Stripes”:

Recruiter: Now, are either of you homosexuals?
Bill Murray: You mean like flaming?
Recruiter: Well, it’s a standard question we have to ask.
Harold Ramis: No, we’re not homosexual, but we are willing to learn.
Bill Murray: Yeah . . . Would they send us someplace special?

Guinness on December 18, 2011 at 3:58 PM

Scroll up, you’ve found some.

JohnAGJ on December 18, 2011 at 4:09 PM

Anybody know — does Leavenworth have a women’s wing? Brianna should be right at home .. with Thelma & Louise & Butch.

CaveatEmpty on December 18, 2011 at 4:11 PM

As a former Marine, I must say that I havd always been stunned by the fact that this little douche even had ACCESS to any of that material. What exactly are the Army standards for the personnel that handle sensitive info? I can’t imagine he was much of a stellar performer to begin with.

And as to his current argument, fine, I’ll stipulate. Hang him both. Sick little weasel.

a5minmajor on December 18, 2011 at 3:22 PM

First, “Hang him both” was a good’un, heh. I don’t know how the Army does it now, but back when I was doing teletype repairs/electronic equipment maintenance in Germany, I only had a Secret clearance. So whenever I was called to a Top Secret communications box truck or tent or facility, there was always a guard with a sidearm standing over my shoulder making sure that using a wrench, soldering iron, oscilloscope, etc. was all I was up to. Bet little traitor doesn’t know a fig about what working under real Stress is.

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on December 18, 2011 at 4:13 PM

Just over 6 years ago I was required to memorize the bulk of the UCMJ, especially the Punitive Measures section.

I fail to recall anything about an “insanity defense” even being permitted. The military courts system is VASTLY different from the civilian model, with a much more expedited trial, sentencing process and very little chance for appeal.

That said in cases where the death penalty is imposed there is an automatic appeal, otherwise IIRC you only get 1 appeal.

Edit:And yes HotAir I AM logged in, please stop auto-logging me out. Any ideas on what’s causing this issue Ed/AP/Tina? It’s been ongoing for years since I started commenting

Further Edit/Clarification: No I did NOT serve on active duty in the military. I tried my best to get in including “fixing” my medical records (a la John Kennedy) but was kindly tossed from NROTC after 6 months when that was discovered, after that I attempted to enlist in the Army just over a year later and then they fully barred me. Although I now oppose our adventures in Iraq, Afghanistan/Pakistan I would still proudly go today were I not medically barred.

My screen name is in homage to my still living 90 year old grandfather who served (82nd Abn, 507th PIR, HQ Co) from 1942- late 1945 and saw action starting at age 23 June 6th, 1944.

My best friend (since childhood) is currently serving as a 35F (military intelligence analyst) the same as Pfc Manning and quite frankly I suspect is just as gay as Pfc Manning minus the freakish “I’m confused, oh poor poor me” Bravo Sierra. He has had no issue serving nor keeping himself to himself and the intelligence where it belongs. He was in the process of returning from his first OIF tour when the Manning story first broke and remembers how hard it made his life for the next few months afterwards. He has since completed a 2nd partial OIF tour-only due to the SOFA breakdown was his tour cut short.

Finally as to how Manning got in and how he had access to said information:

1.) Recruiters are given that duty to recruit. Having been one for the VTCC (Virgina Tech Corps of Cadets) I know EXACTLY how to “encourage” (BS) someone into signing on the dotted line who may be ambivalent about doing so. Having a parent give the recruit that sort of encouragement usually also helps.

2.) ALL military intelligence personnel regardless of service train at Fort Huachuca, AZ be they officer or enlisted. They ALL (35X MOS for Army Enlisted and just 35 branch designation for Army Officers) have access to the classified network that links DoD, DIA, CIA, DoS, and other intel agencies together called SIPRNet (Secure Internet Proctocal Routing Network) which is (SUPPOSED TO BE) severed from any connection with the public use Internet (World Wide Web). The massive interconnections were made possible by the removal of the intelligence wall post 9/11. As a recruit or OC you must pass a stringent background check dating all the way back to your juvenile record if applicable and you are required to supply the Army with character references.

SgtSVJones on December 18, 2011 at 4:21 PM

Whatever happens to Manning, several people up the chain of command needs to burn.

Why was this pathetic individual given free & unrestricted access to so much secret info that he didn’t need access to to do his job? Why weren’t their policies on the computers that prevented the classified documents from being copied?

I work with a small company that handles healtcare information, nothing dramitic, but it is healthcare related — and we’re spending months hammering out policies, aquiring the hardware & software to implement them and then implementing those polices on the servers, desktops and network hardware. Why would the military do any less?

29Victor on December 18, 2011 at 4:32 PM

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on December 18, 2011 at 4:13 PM

Hey! We had teletype repairmen in our shop when I was at Ft. Lewis, my uncle was one back in the day (Korea and then-abouts) and then wound up teaching at Ft. Gordon (where I spent my training). I was….well a 29Victor (fixed station microwave radio technician). Good to meetcha’.

And you’re 100% on with the rest. They didn’t take security lightly when I was in and it was relatively peaceful (except for that first Gulf War). Now I’m an IT guy and am at a complete loss to understand why the Army didn’t have in place a few simple computer policies that would ahve acted as a virtual guard with a sidearm. Especially since this tool had access to far more sensitive stuff than either you or I ever came near.

29Victor on December 18, 2011 at 4:38 PM

Scroll up, you’ve found some.

JohnAGJ on December 18, 2011 at 4:09 PM

…not nearly enough…not nearly enough….

…is homosexuality a lifestyle? If so, is deception part and parcel of that lifestyle? Is citizenship and loyalty conditional one the prospect of benefit? Is self-selection to the status of a “protected class”? If so, then it’s another escape route from civic responsiblity, now taken to the next logical level: escape from criminal culpability….

…or is it merely a matter of different private tastes? If so, would someone care to speculate when those tastes will begin being private, so’s we in the wider world aren’t obliged to “celebrate” them as well? Inquiring minds want to know.

Homosexuality is what it is. Born a woman in a man’s body? That’s akin, in my view, as ending up an adult and finding that you’re not as tall as you would want to be, as slender as you’re told you should be, or baldness. It isn’t in any way an excuse…and it doesn’t make you “special”. It is.

…so a few voices isn’t near enough…settling in as citizens is. That means pulling ones weight…and keeping the private private.

…and, for my money, not speculating on the mental throes of a “pre-op” traitor…his only use now is as an object lesson. What will it be?

Puritan1648 on December 18, 2011 at 4:38 PM

His gender issues aside it still comes down to this P.O.S.stealing and then giving away classified material. After thirty plus years in the Marine Corps seems to me security measures were ignored or were pretty lax for him to do what he did. Some other heads should roll or should have rolled. The gay/gender thing is irrelevant but they will try to make it so. The other gays in the Military serving honorably should be real pissed at him. Regardless he needs to go to jail for the rest of his miserable life cause you know they won’t execute him, treason is not that big a deal these days.

major dad on December 18, 2011 at 4:42 PM

Just throw him in jail for the rest of his life- I would use the firing squad but I don’t think that is allowed any more.

Bullhead on December 18, 2011 at 4:44 PM

And since DADT has been repealed how many more do we have to worry about?? Next President needs to bring back DADT.

Bullhead on December 18, 2011 at 4:46 PM

As someone who possessed a DoD Secret clearance over most of my 45 years in aerospace working on highly classified programs, I know what the requirements are for protecting classified information. Anyone who possesses a clearance is required to sign a document that goes into YOUR DoD file that signifies that you have read and understand the requirements for possessing that clearance and it enumerates the punishment for violation of the terms of the clearance.

Pfc. Manning had to be aware that he was NOT to have in his possession when dealing with classified documents, any media or equipment that could record the material he was sworn to protect if that media could be removed without order. IF HE WAS NOT INFORMED OF THAT, THEN THOSE WHO MISINFORMED HIM ARE ALSO GUILTY. Gay or straight, Black or White, Christian or Jew, the rules are the same.

Have no sympathy for this traitor. He needs to burn first on earth!!!

crankybutt on December 18, 2011 at 4:49 PM

Bullhead on December 18, 2011 at 4:46 PM

Considering that Manning was in the military before DADT was repealed, how would bringing it back stop an individual who chose to break the law from breaking the law?

libfreeordie on December 18, 2011 at 4:50 PM

. . . but, since 1964 and the Civil Rights Act, we’ve seen a cottage industry pop up hoping to excuse peoples’ sociopathic, criminal and now treasonous conduct on the basis of the damage done to their gentle souls by a heartless society which denied them their “butterfly moment”…emerging from the chrysalis as “meeeeeeee!” . . .
Puritan1648 on December 18, 2011 at 3:57 PM

You’ve come close to what I keep insisting had happened in the 1960s.
Which is that the Civil Rights movement, as begun peacefully by mostly Ministers, Pastors, Clerics, etc., was highjacked by the “counter culture movement”, whose leaders were atheist, academic revolutionaries.
Having blurred the differences between the two movements, they have created a ‘stigma’ in that any criticism of the agenda of the “counter culture movement” is equivalent or equal to an attempt at overthrowing/overturning the “Civil Rights movement.”

The two movements WERE NOT THE SAME. But the atheist, academic revolutionaries have generally succeceded in blending their agenda into the Civil Rights movement for the purpose of validating their political points in the eyes of the rest of the American people.

listens2glenn on December 18, 2011 at 4:51 PM

Hey! We had teletype repairmen in our shop when I was at Ft. Lewis, my uncle was one back in the day (Korea and then-abouts)and then wound up teaching at Ft. Gordon (where I spent my training). I was….well a 29Victor (fixed station microwave radio technician). Good to meetcha’.
29Victor on December 18, 2011 at 4:38 PM

Good day to ya! 31J/32E here. Aah, good ole Ft. Gordon. Those 1949 Kleinschmidt TTYs were the Edsel of my time. But the Army couldn’t move without us old Radar O’Reillys. :)

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on December 18, 2011 at 4:52 PM

SgtSVJones on December 18, 2011 at 4:21 PM

Thank you for your service to this country, which includes your ‘very well explained’ post, above.

listens2glenn on December 18, 2011 at 4:56 PM

What’s wrong with you people? Not one Corporal Klinger reference…until now.

equanimous on December 18, 2011 at 5:01 PM

Give him a speedy trial. The year following the trial will be for appeals, spent in Fort Leavenworth suffering the ignominy of being gang-raped. That will settle his gender issues.

We can bring closure to the whole affair by offering him the opportunity to say a few last words and get right with Jesus, and follow it all up with a first class hanging!

grumpy_old_soldier on December 18, 2011 at 5:05 PM

SgtSVJones on December 18, 2011 at 4:21 PM

listens2glenn on December 18, 2011 at 4:56 PM

Well, listens2glenn, you sure didn’t, ahem, “listen2″ SgtSVJones, as he stated in his post that he has never served in the military. He is extremely knowledgeable, though.

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on December 18, 2011 at 5:09 PM

And this behavior has never been observed in a heterosexual?

Dysfunctional because of gender confusion….or alcoholism or drug abuse just to name a couple?

Obviously he should have been relieved of duty, and have been sent to a doctor for medical evaluation. We don’t know that didn’t happen. His medical records are private. We just get what the defense wants leaked to the media.

If the whole point is equality in the treatment of Manning. Manning’s treatment should be equal to the treatment of any other individual accused to the same CRIME he is accused of. He shouldn’t be treated any different than a heterosexual accused of the same CRIME. The defense wants extra equal treatment by the courts for Manning, because of his gender orientation. Some pigs are more equal than other pigs.

Dr Evil on December 18, 2011 at 5:16 PM

Prediction: Taxpayers gonna pay for his sex change operation somewhere down the road while he serves his life sentence.

Govicide on December 18, 2011 at 5:18 PM

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on December 18, 2011 at 5:09 PM

Boy, am I sheepish. (blushing here)
Thanks for the correction.

Still a great post.

listens2glenn on December 18, 2011 at 5:22 PM

Indeed it was. :)

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on December 18, 2011 at 5:26 PM

Bradley Manning has “gender issues”

So?

I am a female soldier, and except for the brassiere and the hairpins, I wear the EXACT same ACU uniform as this snivelling pile of excrement. Good luck with this craptastic line of defense, Tootsie. Your attorneys are extremely overpaid.

CantCureStupid on December 18, 2011 at 5:29 PM

GREAT….gender “confused” ( DADT ) in the military along with muslim officers that no one wants to profile until they murder our troops?

And they…the Generals went along with this bovine excrement? This sissy manning is the reason why spies in the cold war and now were so successful at blackmail to achieve access to secrets. And now we’re welcoming how many into the ranks? Why don’t we just surrender the colors to a gay guard in San Fanfreako now?

Another wonder….he’s obliged to ignore his oath and orders for whatever this queen deems a “higher cause”.

Shoot him…along with his fellow travelers at the NYT that published these secrets.

Twana on December 18, 2011 at 5:33 PM

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on December 18, 2011 at 5:09 PM

Thank you, I grow tired of explaining that every time someone sees my handle and thanks me.

As I stated I never served on active duty, only as a sworn Midshipman (MIDN 4/C) in the USNR for about 5 months before being medically tossed. I never saw combat (in the military anyways), but I have MANY MANY of my Buds (VTCC Class ’09) who have, currently are, or are gearing up for active theaters:
One of my best Buds went on to service as an Army Ranger-his wife whom he met while in the VTCC is a MP officer they both have served in Af-Pak,
another is a Nuclear Officer on submarines,
my freshman year roommate (like me) was tossed from the Navy for medical issues that developed during his time in school and now works in a Baltimore, MD accounting consultancy firm.
Another good Bud of mine Adnan Barqawi, earned his U.S. citizenship his senior year in addition to being Commander of the Cadet Regiment, while opting NOT to serve in the military after graduation rose to prominence in the local Republican Party starting our Junior year of college and gave speeches at several Tea Party events in support of TP candidates-the latter being done in between semesters spent with Teach for America teaching 10th grade in Louisiana, while earning a M.A. in Education from Delta State. He now works for Governor McDonnell (R-VA) (who he also helped to elect) and is pursuing ANOTHER M.A. this one in Public Administration as well as a possible career in public office.

In addition as I stated above my best friend from childhood who I speak to nearly weekly (when he’s not ducking incoming IDF) and see about twice per year due to the vast difference in location is on active duty and looking to get out near Thanksgiving of next year. I live in Southestern VA, he lives on base at Ft Bliss (TX) and his family (as well as most of mine) live in various suburbs of DC so we try to co-ordinate family visiting to have some “man time” for lack of a better word. (Think 24, House, & NCIS marathons interspersed by infrequent bouts of sleep, food, and fix-it work around our parents homes) He is my brother in every way but blood and tells me a bit of his military experiences which combined with thoughtful study have turned me against the conflicts that I once so heavily supported.

SgtSVJones on December 18, 2011 at 5:41 PM

Having worked with far less sensitive information in the private sector, I still wonder how this even happened.

We had to dump cell phones, keys, wallets, everything basically…before walking into a locked-down room which had cameras covering every single angle…

And this guy was somehow burning DVDs? I mean, seriously?!

CorporatePiggy on December 18, 2011 at 5:54 PM

“His defense team is also expected to argue that little harm came of the leaks”

Which is irrelevant, the question is did he leaked hundreds of thousands of classified documents?
If yes then he should spend the rest of his life in prison. If no then he goes free!

“and that their release was in the greater public interest.”

And who gave Manning the authority to make that judgment call?

His defense is “gays shouldn’t be allowed in the military” cuz they, “gays”, can’t be trusted?

Daniel Ellsberg (of Pentagon Papers fame)

Daniel Ellsberg was a civilian, Manning is not a civilian

Exactly! I think OBL’s location was in one of those classified documents Forcing Obama to green light the raid. Otherwise they would have kept OBL under surveillance to see who else would pay a visit to OBL!

DSchoen on December 18, 2011 at 6:04 PM

You and (I suspect) your Ft. Hood bud have turned against war because of his military experiences? Yeah. I get that. It’s why these days I tune out whenever some blunder-buss talking head gets all rah-rah about sending troops into Iran. I believe it’s only because he or she never had/never will have any “skin in the game”.

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on December 18, 2011 at 6:05 PM

Whoops! Forgot to put who I’m talking to:

SgtSVJones on December 18, 2011 at 5:41 PM

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on December 18, 2011 at 6:06 PM

libfreeordie on December 18, 2011 at 4:50 PM

The same way more regulations will stop those who are supposed to do the regulating from watching porn instead of doing their job!

DSchoen on December 18, 2011 at 6:16 PM

SgtSVJones on December 18, 2011 at 4:21 PM

Did you click the “remember me” when you logged in?

DSchoen on December 18, 2011 at 6:24 PM

Does this mean his Firing Squad will be made up of women?

Tommy_G on December 18, 2011 at 2:30 PM

No, the Village People.

squint on December 18, 2011 at 6:25 PM

Reminds me of a scene from the movie “Stripes”:
Recruiter: Now, are either of you homosexuals?
Bill Murray: You mean like flaming?
Recruiter: Well, it’s a standard question we have to ask.
Harold Ramis: No, we’re not homosexual, but we are willing to learn.
Bill Murray: Yeah . . . Would they send us someplace special?
Guinness on December 18, 2011 at 3:58 PM

You can get anything you want, at Alice’s Restaurant
I said, “Shrink, I want to kill. I mean, I wanna, I
wanna kill. Kill. I wanna, I wanna see, I wanna see blood and gore and
guts and veins in my teeth. Eat dead burnt bodies. I mean kill, Kill,
KILL, KILL.” And I started jumpin up and down yelling, “KILL, KILL,” and
he started jumpin up and down with me and we was both jumping up and down
yelling, “KILL, KILL.” And the sargent came over, pinned a medal on me,
sent me down the hall, said, “You’re our boy.”

DSchoen on December 18, 2011 at 6:31 PM

I am gay. He has no defense for what he did ………….. and, admits what he did. He should be found guilty and sentenced accordingly. However, if he was as messed up as bad as he claims he was and there is a record of it, those in the command chain above him should be brought up on lesser charges, too. Manning should not have been allowed near such classified information and/or should have been considered for a discharge for mental illness.

SC.Charlie on December 18, 2011 at 6:35 PM

Does this mean his Firing Squad will be made up of women?

Tommy_G on December 18, 2011 at 2:30 PM

No, the Village People.

squint on December 18, 2011 at 6:25 PM

LOL! Maybe they should impanel the next season’s contestants of RuPaul’s Drag Race

Actual theme song:

RuPaul’s Drag Race
Gentlemen! Start your engines
RuPaul’s Drag Race
May the best woman win!

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on December 18, 2011 at 6:37 PM

Ahh, the old: “It’s not my fault, because all homosexuals are lying traitors” defense.

Hey, good luck with that.

logis on December 18, 2011 at 6:45 PM

I separated earlier this month after 12 years. I found the military to be comprised of the greatest people on the planet and lowlife, incompetent scum bags, with a politicalized promotion system that favored the scum bags.

vermin on December 18, 2011 at 2:29 PM

I separated from AF in August after five years. It’s the same there.

Pancho on December 18, 2011 at 6:46 PM

How did he pee ?
Case closed .

burrata on December 18, 2011 at 6:47 PM

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on December 18, 2011 at 6:05 PM

Amen. That and it’s gotten really old seeming like we’re fighting a war that was never intended to really be “won”. It seems like instead of actually trying to win now, we’re just trying to achieve stalemate long enough for a few more people to put on stars. But I got pretty cynical in the last year…

Pancho on December 18, 2011 at 6:55 PM

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on December 18, 2011 at 6:05 PM

I have turned against the wars I formerly supported for two very (what should be) simple reasons:

1.) The American military is designed to protect the United States, NOT to “spread democracy”, “liberate the oppressed”, “topple dictators”, etc, etc. While those may be byproducts of our use of military force using it for one of those objectives on their own is folly of the first order. Talk to ANY veteran who has served in Iraq in the last 12 months about how the locals acted as they were leaving. In my friend’s case they f***ing CELEBRATED. In other cases they fled for their lives. In NEITHER case did the people give thanks or work to uphold the freedom won by our men and women at the cost of blood and treasure. In fact, the people over there expected the government to magically give them everything back again instead of rebuilding on their own in the process putting corruption (endemic in the Middle East I might add) front & center in the political process.
I invite anyone who disagrees with me to please visit the MANY public and private memorials to our servicemen throughout France, Belgium, and most of Western Europe. That is what gratitude actually looks like.

2.) In furtherance of the point I made in #1 the military is designed to do EXACTLY TWO THINGS:
-Break things
-Kill people

Inhibiting them from doing those at will renders their missions absolutely pointless.

Whether it’s the ROE published by Obama, Bush & Rumsfeld’s decision to “go to war with the Army you have”, and the DISASTROUS consequences of a vastly underestimated local foe and under-equipped military (for the region)and the ROE pushed starting with Bush, to REMF’s, theater generals & others refusing appropriate support to the men on the frontlines to finally the damned media crucifying our service-members for decisions FORCED to make in the heat of battle.

As I said before my grandfather served in France & Germany. His RoE was very very simple: if you even think they are a threat kill them. End of story. Civilians found out real quick what happens when you pick up a weapon and shoot at allied soldiers.

Now I need to head off to work.

SgtSVJones on December 18, 2011 at 6:58 PM

As a veteran who worked in communication centers let me just say. I don’t care how he liked it, their are plenty of folks that have different tastes. Home slice needs a proper trial and then a proper firing squad.

TheGarbone on December 18, 2011 at 7:01 PM

To bad he doesn’t have Christopher Hitchens to defend him any longer. But I’m sure he’s in good hands. He’ll have plenty of time to try to leak himself out of prison now.

Captain Obvious on December 18, 2011 at 7:16 PM

What happends when this entire gender Identity defense fails, will Mannings defense lawyers then try to say that Manning released top secret material because he was bi-polar? Makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

RiCkY.D. on December 18, 2011 at 7:18 PM

Bush & Rumsfeld’s decision to “go to war with the Army you have

That wasn’t meant to inhibit the mission. That was the truth. 9/11 & Afghanistan happened after almost a decade of downsizing our military to the point that units didn’t have body armor.

melle1228 on December 18, 2011 at 7:27 PM

After so many open registration, it’s still a relief this site is still free from the type of dumb homophobic cmments you see on Yahoo!, YouTube and Drudge-linked articles.

YYZ on December 18, 2011 at 8:08 PM

Being a member of a “victim group” is now the excuse du jour for aberrant and/or criminal behavior.

Manning’s gender orientation should not preclude him from receiving full military punishment.

Sparky5253 on December 18, 2011 at 8:44 PM

One result of Manning’s treasonous actions has been that the military has severely tightened access to such information; and, as I understand nearly banned USB thumb drives from being used on military computers.

SC.Charlie on December 18, 2011 at 8:54 PM

There was an article on Boing Boing about Manning and his “gender issues” the better part of a year ago so this isn’t exactly new information. Throwing equipment around, curling up in a ball I’m his office, etc certainly sounds like someone that should have been under supervision rather than being in a supervisory position.

dieudonne on December 18, 2011 at 9:15 PM

Being obsessed with gaining the social treatment given to members of the opposite sex is definitely a psychological problem.

Count to 10 on December 18, 2011 at 9:17 PM

Allow defectives in….expect defective behavior.

TwoShortPlanks on December 18, 2011 at 9:26 PM

Yeah, punish this guy to the fullest extent, but the thing that really infuriates me is how easy it apparently was for him to get access to so much information. What pathetic security measures!

bluegill on December 18, 2011 at 9:32 PM

melle1228 on December 18, 2011 at 7:27 PM

Not to mention the staggering failures that allowed September 11th to happen in the first place. Our leadership during the lead up to September 11th was so incompetent that it never occured to them that we should have even a single ready F-16 in proximity to our centers of government and commerce. It’s always striking reading the comments in these thread asking how something like this could happen. The answer is very simple: we’re just that incompetent. Our enemies are very smart, and they spend their time thinking of ways to hurt us; we’re very stupid, and we spend our time making it easier for them. Obviously, there are many capable people, and even capable units, in the military. The fact remains, however, that the US military, taken as a whole, is not a capable force and won’t be until we make competence a priority.

vermin on December 18, 2011 at 9:36 PM

SC.Charlie on December 18, 2011 at 8:54 PM

Pancho on December 18, 2011 at 10:00 PM

vermin on December 18, 2011 at 9:36 PM

Yep, and we are doing it again. During “peace time” we seem to think that bad things will never happen again. People don’t get that it takes time to build up and train the military. They just get “surprised” when something bad happens and we aren’t prepared. Those in the military knew 9/11 was going to happen. We paid attention, because before 9/11 OBL was killing military people long before the was killing civilians. He decided to go after civilians because military deaths weren’t getting America’s attention enough.

melle1228 on December 18, 2011 at 10:01 PM

Those in the military knew 9/11 was going to happen.

I’ll rephrase that for conspiracy nuts. Those in the military knew a large civilian attack would eventually happen…

melle1228 on December 18, 2011 at 10:02 PM

To show how understanding we are, we’ll allow him to attend his trial in his dresses.

bayview on December 18, 2011 at 11:14 PM

And this guy was somehow burning DVDs? I mean, seriously?!

CorporatePiggy on December 18, 2011 at 5:54 PM

It makes me wonder WTF the military has been doing in the last 20 years since I left. The idea that he could even bring a recordable CD into a job dealing with SCI makes me wonder how much classified information has walked off base that we don’t even know about. This is way beyond sloppy; it’s criminally negligent.

Wendya on December 18, 2011 at 11:55 PM

It is always curious that when folks are so proud of what they’ve done criminally, they use every defense under the sun to get off. If he did this for all the right reasons, you can live with all the right punishment. Own your treason Mr. tough guy/gal.

rgrovr on December 19, 2011 at 2:26 AM

RiCkY.D. on December 18, 2011 at 7:18 PM

When his defense fails and he is sentenced He will appeal because he had an incompetent defense.

workingclass artist on December 19, 2011 at 8:21 AM

Yes, and it turned into a complete nightmare. Once they restricted our ability to use USB drives even on things not classified, they wanted to gripe about the server being full and our email being over size limits. There was no happy medium. – Pancho on December 18, 2011 at 10:00 PM

Obviously the change was necessary. No one knows when someone might innocently or intentionally introduce a virus to a small network. I did hear that someone distantly related put together a presentation program for the military, probably Microsoft Powerpoint, and was unable to use it, because no USB drive was available for security reasons.

SC.Charlie on December 19, 2011 at 8:26 AM

This is the “Animal House” defense ..

You fucked up… you trusted us! Hey, make the best of it! Maybe we can help.

J_Crater on December 19, 2011 at 8:39 AM

This is the “Animal House” defense ..

You f*cked up… you trusted us! Hey, make the best of it! Maybe we can help.

J_Crater on December 19, 2011 at 8:40 AM

So if they were claiming that he is a traitor because he is gay, then the obvious answer is that we can no longer have gays in the military, right?

jeffn21 on December 19, 2011 at 8:57 AM

Hell hath no fury like an it scorned…

insidiator on December 19, 2011 at 8:59 AM

“The defence says Pte Manning was suffering from stress, as a homosexual soldier at a time when soldiers in the US military could not be open about their sexuality”

What does that even mean? There’s plenty of gay soldiers in the Military Intelligence corps, most hetero’s could figure it out, particularly the female soldiers. Nobody said “boo” about it in most cases. The only time you heard about it reaching the command levels was when there was a homosexual assault or somebody figured they’d got the training they wanted out of the military and Uncle Sugar and told the command they were gay, chapter them out.

This whole “open sexuality” is a load of garbage. Are they supposed to be able to flame? Wear high heels or something? It’s a uniformed service with tight rules on discipline and conduct. I suggest that if somebody wants to ‘act out’, find a different place to go, maybe the Pease Corps.

In any case, nobody was “picking on” the poor little cry-me-a-river gay guy.

John_G on December 19, 2011 at 9:00 AM

Well, Military Intelligence sure isn’t what it used to be or the Army for that matter. Our troopers at the pointy end of the spear are superb, but it seems to me the rest of the Army has issues that just should not be issues due to the social engineering experiment it has become. Most of these issues are a result of ending the draft and the need to depend more upon women and homosexuals. That is not to say that most women and homosexuals cannot competently serve, but it just opens the entire military up to problems that forty five years ago did not exist due to the prevalence of common sense in our society. OK, I admit it, I’m a dinosaur. I served in Army MI from 1965 to 1968 with two Vietnam tours in the 1st Infantry Division as a 96D and 96B. I served with draftees who were in many cases sharper than the enlistees. I trained at the now defunct Ft. Holibird in Baltimore. While there, I remember a couple of guys being bounced down to infantry rifles companies for breeches of security while in training. PFC Manning seems to have received a pass for behavior that forty years ago would have earned you a Article 15, loss of security clearance, a “blanket party”, transfer out of MI and quite possibly a dishonorable discharge. This Manning problem is one that should have never been. We need a draft. It would solve many problems without adversely degrading the Army’s ability to complete it’s mission. Most of the Army are below the rank of E-5 and perform jobs that a two year draftee can perform at a lower cost. A draft would save money by initiating two tier pay system. for the first two years of service whether a draftee or enlistee. No dependent housing/services allowed until you choose to and qualify to reenlist. A draft would recycle more men into our society with a knowledge of the military which can only be good for America. A more shared burden if you will. Notice I said draft men, not women. Women could enlist but not be drafted. I personally find it unseemly that our country depends so heavily upon to women to defend us. If you think that makes me a chauvinist, you are devoid of all common sense.

Sorry if I’ve begun to rant incoherently but this entire issue is due to a lack of national common sense and degraded values than a single confused and disgruntled PFC.

SpiderMike on December 19, 2011 at 9:36 AM

When your client is a guiltier than hell traitor, your defense is clearly to blame shift to others. I agree with this to the extent that there is no way that a PFC should have been able to access and download all the stuff he gave away to impress the guy he was trying to impress.

Manning is no hero and no whistleblower. He is a traitor who clearly is guilty of what he has been charged with and he should rot in a military jail for decades. But….. he probably should not be the only one on trial. His superiors were clearly not living up to their responsibilities to ensure that some PFC is able to irrepairable harm to national security.

BTW, Manning is an excellent example why those DADT repeal advocates were liars when they made the claim that all homosexuals were frustrated patriots that only wanted to serve their nation. It’s a little OT but important to note the hypocrisy of the whole argument put forward to change policy.

Happy Nomad on December 19, 2011 at 9:39 AM

He, she, (it for all I care) took an oath.

It (OK let’s facetiously go with that) broke that oath, betrayed its country, endangered its fellow soldiers, exposed classified material to the enemy, endangered countless confidential informants (how many are dead because of “it”?) and violated the UCMJ in countless ways.

I don’t care if it is because “it” saw Sasquatch, encountered aliens or likes to sing show tunes in the shower. “It” violated the oath and code “it” swore to upheld and should be subjected to the punishment “it” knew “it” would face and swing from a rope.

This is the type of gay-queen excuse shenanigans the military feared would come out of the DADT repeal. Well here you go, they start right out of the gate arguing “special circumstances” due to sexual orientation. Bull.

Marcus Traianus on December 19, 2011 at 10:00 AM

As a former Marine… a5minmajor on December 18, 2011 at 3:22 PM

I thought once a Marine, always a Marine…?

Akzed on December 19, 2011 at 10:20 AM

It’s a last ditch sentencing strategy as Ed says.

He may think he has problems with his sexuality. Whatever. He’s got a very serious problem with treason and should be looking at the death penalty. But we don’t really prosecute treason anymore.

CorporatePiggy on December 19, 2011 at 10:48 AM

Can you imagine if Manning’s “insanity” plea were accepted? That’d create a serious blow to the homosexual movement.

“We’re not crazy. We were born this way!”

“I was crazy and confused. I need help.”

If I were a homosexual pushing for full equality, the legal implications, if not mere precedent, that this might and will set, would have me squirming and giving me the vapors.

Logus on December 19, 2011 at 11:21 AM

Manning is going to be a living punnishment the rest of his life. There may a point that perhaps we should not have enlisted this one? Pull his pants down, spank the little turd on national TV, kick him out the door, and be done with him/her. There are more important ways to squander funds.

StevC on December 19, 2011 at 11:25 AM

StevC on December 19, 2011 at 11:25 AM

Oh absolutely, let’s keep the Feminization of America going in full swing – full speed ahead/

All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

Dr Evil on December 19, 2011 at 11:47 AM

Like everything else, clearance standards have decreased over the years. I’ve held a TS (SCI) for some 40 years now. When I came in I got grilled over every little thing on my paperwork. Now…pretty much anything goes, as long as you have disclosed it. Years back a young lady that wroked for me was denied a clearance over “servicing” the friends of her so called boyfriend. It wasn’t the promiscuity that kicked her out, it was not putting it on paper. Drugs, sacrificing chickens, doesn’t really matter anymore..just admit to it up front, then there is nothing to blackmail you over.

Larr – USN RET

HawtGas on December 19, 2011 at 12:40 PM

Herald of Woe on December 18, 2011 at 2:14 PM

YOu forgot the /Sarc tag? if not…WTH?

RedLizard64 on December 19, 2011 at 1:29 PM

I don’t think they have a gay unit there.

Blake on December 18, 2011 at 2:31 PM

Obviously institutional gender identification discrimination is the problem…not a whack job who narcissism increases the rick factor for everyone he/she “outed” by performing espionage for the LSM and Theocratic Facists enemies!

RedLizard64 on December 19, 2011 at 1:35 PM

Puritan1648:

I am a homosexual who objects to Manning’s actions. I believe he is a traitor to his country. Being gay has nothing to do with his actions.

So there, I said it, as other gay conservatives have. Please spare us another long-winded, obsessive rant about homosexuals.

GMO on December 19, 2011 at 1:40 PM

Gender issues? Gender issues? Maybe a few days in the showers at Leavenworth will help young Manning decide which side he wants to play for?

By the way . . . . . a good question is how was this clown recruited and how did he get through basic training and how did he get a security clearance? Manning is the Army’s failure to QC its prospects.

kens on December 19, 2011 at 1:47 PM

A brief history…

Homosexuality is defined in the West as a Mental Illness for much of the 20th century.

NO…It’s a Lifestyle Choice

NO…Gay’s are Born that Way

Is there a Gay Gene?

No…It’s a LifeStyle Choice & Stop the Persecution!

Gays demand the right to adopt children NOW!

Turkey Baster sales skyrocket?

Gays Demand Civil Partnerships NOW!

No…Gay Marriage Now!

Gay Heroes History taught in public schools Now!

Stop Bullying Gay Kids!

Sex Reassignment Rights for Kids!

Repeal DADT NOW!

Bradley Manning Defense: Treason Due to Mental Illness of Being Gay

*facepalm*

workingclass artist on December 18, 2011 at 3:47 PM

If pressed for a political tag for myself, I suppose I’m a fiscally conservative libertarian. I don’t care much for social conservatism because I believe, for the most part, a lot of the socon creed is as much an anathema to personal freedom and liberty as is the liberal “progressive”/socialist creed. Frankly, I don’t give the moon and a sixpence about a person’s sexual orientation or gender, and I have to question the mindset of predominantly religious zealots who seem preoccupied with what consenting adults do in the privacy of their bedroom.

Having said that, I fully agree with workingclass artist’s reasoning. It will be absolutely shabby and condemnable if rabid liberal activists come out in force to support Manning’s defense ostensibly predicated on his gender identity confusion at age 22 after decades of browbeating the world that gender identity and sexual orientation are most assuredly innate, not chosen.

I don’t have a problem with people discussing and debating the origins of human gender and/or sexuality because, personally, I don’t have a clue. All I can say with any certainty on the subject is that I was born heterosexual with a male gender identity (yep, I’m a guy); I don’t recall at any time having made a choice in the matter, even with my strong memory recall back as far back as age 1.

But I do have a huge problem when, after decades of their browbeating, sociopolitical advocates for a particular self-identifying group hypocritically walk back their rhetoric and convictions when it’s politically expedient to do so–that’s indicative of a complete absence of character, not to mention complete loss of credibility, and I have neither the time nor the inclination to suffer such fools, let alone give further consideration to their view(s).

Dime IV on December 19, 2011 at 2:23 PM

<blockquoteand I have to question the mindset of predominantly religious zealots who seem preoccupied with what consenting adults do in the privacy of their bedroom.

The problem is that they don’t keep it in the bedroom- get it? Gay marriage is not “keeping it in the bedroom.” It is a way for government to endorse an alternative sexuality. Gay marriage certainly isn’t a small government principle. State marriage in itself is a big government. Add to the number and the state is getting involved in bedroom politics. It also leads to more lawsuits against private citizens who have a problem with behavior. Government endorsement and protection of behavior (especially behavior that is self-identifable) is scary.

lot of the socon creed is as much an anathema to personal freedom

DADT had nothing to do with personal freedom or liberty. The military does discriminate, always have. They do it to better the mission. Their is no right to serve in the military.

melle1228 on December 19, 2011 at 3:01 PM

Except Manning himself said it did. He said the discrimination of DADT drove him to it. That being said, that doesn’t mean that being gay is a preclude to being a traitor.

melle1228 on December 19, 2011 at 3:02 PM

melle1228 on December 19, 2011 at 3:02 PM

It’s called a criminal defense. Just as moronic (and nearly insulting) as the one I read while giving written testimony in a long term child sexual abuse case.

The point in both cases is the same: PFC Manning made a CONSCIOUS CHOICE to steal those documents, just as the sick piece of crap I gave written testimony against (nearly 4 years ago) made a choice to do what he did. No one held a gun to either of their heads to make them do it and Manning, by his defense slanders the hundreds if not thousands of homosexual men and women who have served with honor and distinction in our military.

My personal opinion (as a heterosexual man) on DADT is that it was stupid policy and persons should be allowed to serve no matter what they do with another consenting adult, that said I believe (as does the rest of the Catholic Church) homosexual actions are sinful and desires of that nature are not natural, normal, or healthy for a person’s body or soul.

SgtSVJones on December 19, 2011 at 3:41 PM

I’m as liberal as they come and I don’t fricken buy it.

I understand assaulting a superior, turning over a desk, curling up in a ball…those are emotional reactions to stress….outbursts.

Leaking thousands of pages of documents takes forethought. It’s not like it was 1 mouse click….there should have been plenty of impulse kill switches that Hetero-Homo-Bi-Trans-sexual people would all have to cross.

This is treason, and if the order is to hang by the neck until dead, then that is what his/her fate should be.

Don’t fuck with America folks, even if you’re an American….I don’t care who you want to lay down with.

beefytee on December 19, 2011 at 4:26 PM

TITLE 18 > PART I > CHAPTER 37 > § 798
Disclosure of classified information

(a) Whoever knowingly and willfully communicates, furnishes, transmits, or otherwise makes available to an unauthorized person, or publishes, or uses in any manner prejudicial to the safety or interest of the United States or for the benefit of any foreign government to the detriment of the United States any classified information—

(1) concerning the nature, preparation, or use of any code, cipher, or cryptographic system of the United States or any foreign government; or

(2) concerning the design, construction, use, maintenance, or repair of any device, apparatus, or appliance used or prepared or planned for use by the United States or any foreign government for cryptographic or communication intelligence purposes; or

(3) concerning the communication intelligence activities of the United States or any foreign government; or

(4) obtained by the processes of communication intelligence from the communications of any foreign government, knowing the same to have been obtained by such processes—

Shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than ten years, or both.

Nope. No exclusion in there for homos.

Roy Rogers on December 19, 2011 at 4:48 PM

He’s just trying to get housed with the female prisioners. He’s probably not as gay as he says.

bernverdnardo1 on December 18, 2011 at 3:56 PM

Not that it would matter much…I’m sure someone would make him their b!tch no matter which prison he goes to.

BlaxPac on December 19, 2011 at 10:10 PM

No one forced Pvt. Manning to enlist.

mizflame98 on December 20, 2011 at 11:13 AM