Quotes of the day

posted at 9:15 pm on December 17, 2011 by Allahpundit

“So is it probable that Mitt Romney and Newt Gingrich, currently at each other throats providing colorful sound bites for Team Obama’s future campaign commercials, could eventually join forces, help unite the Republican Party and become the GOP ticket in 2012?

“Is this the best ticket to lead a nation that is trying to “right” itself and stop the trends toward national and global decline?

“Both Romney and Gingrich are experienced, qualified to be president and for a divided party, represent the marriage of the establishment and conservative wings, something that is necessary if the GOP is to survive in its present form.”

***

“‘I think Tea Partiers may have listened to the first debate where we discussed the speaker’s compensation from Freddie Mac, for instance. And he said, I think he said that he got $300,000 from Freddie Mac and it was to work as an historian. And as time has gone on we find out it’s $1.6 million and he worked as a spokesman for, in providing support for Freddie Mac,’ Romney said. ‘I think as tea partiers concentrate on that for instance, they’ll say, wow, this really isn’t the guy that would represent our views.’

“The tea party, Romney said, is ‘anxious to have people who are outside Washington coming in to change Washington, as opposed to people who stayed in Washington for 30 years.’

“‘And I believe on the issues, as well, that I line up with a smaller government, a less intrusive government, regulations being pared back, holding down the tax rates of the American people, maintaining a strong defense, and so many Tea Party folks are going to find me, I believe to be the ideal candidate,’ Romney said. ‘I sure hope so.’”

***

“Republican presidential candidate Newt Gingrich held a conference call for Iowans this morning to fight back against attacks on his campaign and to ask to for caucus volunteers. Gingrich is not campaigning in Iowa this weekend and reportedly took time off the trail for private events…

“‘I saw an article that said there’s been so many negative mailings, so many different hit pieces and so many negative ads that we just decided that we would [hold the calls] from now to the caucus on a regular basis,’ Gingrich said…

“Gingrich went on to refute what he called attacks on his conservative record. Gingrich previously said he had balanced the budget all four years as speaker of the House, but as several fact-checking organizations pointed out, he was only responsible for two of those years and could not take credit for the years after he resigned. Today, Gingrich changed the tone of his campaign line, saying he led the efforts.”

***

Via the Examiner.

***

“[O]nce every three-quarters of a century or so, the delegates to an American political convention deliberate, and their deliberations produce a notable and impressive outcome. It could happen again in 2012. It could fall to the Republican delegates convening in Tampa, after they have cast their committed first ballot vote and failed to produce a majority for any candidate, to act as a real deliberative convention. It could fall to them to use their judgment to select the best possible nominee for their party and the best possible president for their country…

“It could happen because it’s quite possible no one will emerge from the January primaries with a commanding lead in the delegate count, or a compelling surge in popular support. Four or more of the existing candidates could then continue to split votes—and delegates—through February and March. It would be even more likely to happen if someone new were to respond to a draft and enter the race belatedly, announcing his entry as early as mid-January or as late as early March—missing some primaries, to be sure, but getting on lots of ballots and getting lots of votes in April, May, and June. In any case, it might well happen that no candidate will have a majority of pledged delegates when Republicans enter the doors of the St. Pete Times Forum in Tampa in late August…

“It’s a new political era. Perhaps that era will feature once again a real, deliberative convention—where the delegates, with the ghosts of Lincoln and FDR looking on, choose, on a second or third or fourth ballot, a compelling nominee and a consequential president.”

***

“‘I’m not holding out hope, but I do think it’s a remote possibility,’ Brooks said of a [Jeb] Bush candidacy. ‘I do think the Republican Party is not going to nominate Newt Gingrich. If he emerges from the primaries, the early primaries as the front-runner, someone’s going to step in.’”

***

“One of the biggest risks of making a bold prediction and later having to walk it back is that it takes several episodes of confrontation to live it down. This is probably the third or fourth appearance in which Ann Coulter has tried to explain how she went from predicting a sure loss for Republicans under nominee Mitt Romney to fully endorsing him, and explaining that she now sees President Obama’s ‘glass jaw’ exposed. Speaking to Fox News’ Uma Pemmaraju, she added a reason for why the Tea Party can’t see his appeal: ‘they’re looking at who is going to go around bombastically demanding to see Obama’s birth certificate or calling him a Kenyan.’”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Fond or not, twirp stirs it up and twirp can handle the after math without everyone cleaning up her mess. She’s thrives on it feeding her only encourages her.
Her moniker should be your first clue. She’s smarter than you think…suckers!!

katy on December 18, 2011 at 2:20 AM

Ok, Ok, fooled and schooled.
*wanders out of the room*

DoubleClutchin on December 18, 2011 at 2:25 AM

KOOLAID2 on December 18, 2011 at 2:19 AM

OK, so how many Michiganders are here besides me?

I saw a chart today that showed Obama BEHIND in Michigan for next year. WHOOOOTTT!!!!!!!

karenhasfreedom on December 18, 2011 at 2:25 AM

Finally real conservatives who makes sense.

The lies about Romney became the truth so early I thought the truth would die.

I was beginning to believe there was only the fake kind of conservative left in the world… but now that the DM Register, and Oklahoman, and loads of honest conservatives are starting to back the only real conservative in the race… my faith in humanity is returning.

But the right wing media has been exposed as the lying scum they are. I will never watch FoxNews without remembering the lies of this Primary.

petunia on December 18, 2011 at 2:25 AM

KOOLAID2 on December 18, 2011 at 2:19 AM

Just checking..Sounds like you have some great kids!!..Hopeful they will become HA posters in the future..:)

Dire Straits on December 18, 2011 at 2:26 AM

Drudge has Newt’s Supreme Court comments as a headline:

BOLD: Gingrich says he’d defy Supreme Court rulings he opposed…

Newt just lost a shtload of independents.

haner on December 18, 2011 at 2:10 AM

Well this was Gingrich’s predicted self implosion.

By default were are going to be left with Romney as the last one standing. Shoot me now.

karenhasfreedom on December 18, 2011 at 2:28 AM

petunia on December 18, 2011 at 2:25 AM

Petunia, what about the other thread here where Romney was saying to keep the good parts of Obamacare in 2010? This is his MAJOR achilles heel here as the nominee.

karenhasfreedom on December 18, 2011 at 2:30 AM

katy on December 18, 2011 at 2:20 AM

I agree..alt is tough as nails..:)

PS..And a very good poster on HA I might add..:)

Dire Straits on December 18, 2011 at 2:31 AM

I agree..alt is tough as nails..:)

PS..And an very good annoying little poster on HA I might add..:)

Dire Straits on December 18, 2011 at 2:31 AM

Just a minor correction… ;)

katy on December 18, 2011 at 2:34 AM

katy on December 18, 2011 at 2:20 AM

I guess my mileage varys..:)

Dire Straits on December 18, 2011 at 2:38 AM

katy on December 18, 2011 at 2:20 AM

I guess my mileage varys..:)

Dire Straits on December 18, 2011 at 2:38 AM

alt is a very good poster..IMHO..:)

Dire Straits on December 18, 2011 at 2:43 AM

Shoot me now.

karenhasfreedom on December 18, 2011 at 2:28 AM

Hey, come on, the bar is so low for Romney he will probably be a more conservative president then we fear

OrthodoxJew on December 18, 2011 at 2:44 AM

My kids…my kids hate that “other” school. When they refer to the students there as AA’s…they are not referring to Alcoholics Anonymous…it is Arrogant A$$holes…They treat Wolverine fans like we treat other posters candidates on Hot Air…Bone Bachmann…Cuckhold Cain…Ma$terba!t Mitt…Neuter Newt…Pi$$ on Perry…Sh!t with Sarah…they just are a little more juvenile with the college thing…cuz they are younger. I see potential Hot Air fans there though! (:>)

KOOLAID2 on December 18, 2011 at 2:19 AM

Oh. That’s why you chose to answer my newbie error of passing along HA’s posting format that I’ve been learning so far (and which I presumed you to be asking for), with crass insults against Ms. Bachmann and most other candidates. Buh-Bye.

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on December 18, 2011 at 2:45 AM

alt is a very good poster..IMHO..:)

Dire Straits on December 18, 2011 at 2:43 AM

Depends on what your definition of good is..

katy on December 18, 2011 at 2:47 AM

OK, so how many Michiganders are here besides me?

karenhasfreedom on December 18, 2011 at 2:25 AM
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

No…you have posted before! You are to smart to have lived under eight years of “We’ll blow you AWAY!” Jennifer Granholm and unionized perdifity! You gotta be from somewhere else!

KOOLAID2 on December 18, 2011 at 2:49 AM

Depends on what your definition of good is..

katy on December 18, 2011 at 2:47 AM

Like I said..Our mileage may vary..:)

Dire Straits on December 18, 2011 at 2:50 AM

Karen… you can believe all that crap if you want but it is not who Romney is. There is such a boat load of lies that started with Obama and then people like Ed and Erick continueing it that most of you don’t have a clue who Romney is. So you believe this crap.

Most people confuse Bain and company and Bain Capital when they talk about Romney but there was this little tidbit today:

Bain and Company is in the news today: Bain & Company. the company Romney saved From Bankruptcy and only took a symbolic 1 DOLLAR salary to do it, Was Just Named The Best Employer In America:

The best employer in America — according to an annual report from Glassdoor — is a company that was saved from bankruptcy by Mitt Romney.

Bain & Company today is defined by Romney, and that says a lot for his capabilities as a leader.

People who really worked with Romney know he is the right man at the right time.

And against the lies that have grown to be believed by most of you at Hot Air, Romney is a good consistent guy. And he is a business leader who wants to make America the most business friendly in the world again.

Don’t get lost in the weeds.

Read the Oklahoman endorsement. Read the Register. Real conservatives who live like conservatives and not the Rush Limbaugh-Newt Gingrich lifestyle, support Mitt Romney.

Real Conservatives like me.

petunia on December 18, 2011 at 2:51 AM

petunia on December 18, 2011 at 2:51 AM

a real conservative wouldnt sign a law banning assault weapons….

chasdal on December 18, 2011 at 2:58 AM

Like I said..Our mileage may vary..:)

Dire Straits on December 18, 2011 at 2:50 AM

DS, you need to let go of the YUGO…

katy on December 18, 2011 at 2:59 AM

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on December 18, 2011 at 2:45 AM

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
LCV….’did not mean to offend anyone.
I’m just saying how some people treat the other candidates of posters that they have a problem with.
You don’t constantly trash Newt, because you like Mitt.You don’t constantly berate Bachmann because you are for Perry.
etc Sorry!
As Rodney King said once in LA…..”Hey…can…can we…ju..ju..just …get along?!” (::>)

KOOLAID2 on December 18, 2011 at 3:02 AM

katy on December 18, 2011 at 2:59 AM

lOl..I like yugo’s..:)

Dire Straits on December 18, 2011 at 3:06 AM

Can’t decide whether it’s comical or pathetic that many here are even attempting to make an argument for Newt or Romney ascribing to anything remotely conservative in their political history.

My God!

People…understand what conservative means before you embark on this foolish crap!

We’ve been hoodwinked again into mindless debates between the now two top contenders for the GOP that are nothing more than progressive crap sandwich vs vomit pie… Get a grip!

katy on December 18, 2011 at 3:06 AM

Dire Straits on December 18, 2011 at 3:06 AM

Then may I suggest an upgrade to a nice..oh…say…a ’79 Gremlin?

katy on December 18, 2011 at 3:08 AM

KOOLAID2 on December 18, 2011 at 2:49 AM

I moved back here in early ’06 so I am not responsible for her elections!! :) I voted for PERRY before I moved back here.

Petunia, Romneycare. If Mitt were to just WALK BACK this whole thing and say it is a f*cked up approach to solving our uninsured health care problem I wouldn’t have the willies about his potential candidacy. And I am very familiar with Bain. A close relative is in contention for employment there.

However, that picture alone is going to be ripe fodder for Obama to smear Romney with it.

Obama wants to run on the 1%/99% meme and Romney is his hand picked opponent to make Obama’s campaign strategy work.

karenhasfreedom on December 18, 2011 at 3:09 AM

KOOLAID 2–All best wishes to you. Nighty Night. :)

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on December 18, 2011 at 3:10 AM

Then may I suggest an upgrade to a nice..oh…say…a ’79 Gremlin?

katy on December 18, 2011 at 3:08 AM

rofl..Good one..:)

Dire Straits on December 18, 2011 at 3:11 AM

Katy, the real conservative needed for this election cycle is sitting up in Alaska. Who do you support right now?

I am VERY UNDECIDED. Sigh.

karenhasfreedom on December 18, 2011 at 3:12 AM

Mitt Bushrich. Newt Bushny. Jeb Gingney

BoxHead1 on December 18, 2011 at 3:19 AM

Then may I suggest an upgrade to a nice..oh…say…a ’79 Gremlin?

katy on December 18, 2011 at 3:08 AM

You need to look at Rick Perry..:)

Dire Straits on December 18, 2011 at 3:21 AM

karenhasfreedom on December 18, 2011 at 3:12 AM

My spare change is going evenly into the Bachmann and Santorum coffers.

If this country doesn’t get off it collective a$$ and splash a little cold water on their face and realize we’re once again nominating another Dole, GB Sr, McCain….then we deserve to go down in flames. And I mean it!

Pisses me off to no end! ROMNEY??? Seriously???
GINGRICH???? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME???????

WTFAYTP?????????????????

katy on December 18, 2011 at 3:23 AM

You need to look at Rick Perry..:)

Dire Straits on December 18, 2011 at 3:21 AM

I haven’t ruled him out. Unfortunately, he ruled himself out but I’m still watching him….oh so carefully though…

katy on December 18, 2011 at 3:26 AM

katy on December 18, 2011 at 3:26 AM

Good deal..Give him a look..:)

Dire Straits on December 18, 2011 at 3:29 AM

oh God, is Petunia back?

Flapjackmaka on December 18, 2011 at 3:31 AM

Dire Straits on December 18, 2011 at 3:11 AM

Just to clear the air… I once had a Vega. A nice red one. With an 8 track tape player that blasted Manilow’s “Mandy” whenever possible.

Ah… I feel cleansed. Thanks DS.

katy on December 18, 2011 at 3:31 AM

Ah… I feel cleansed. Thanks DS.

katy on December 18, 2011 at 3:31 AM

Wow..I wish I could go back to those 8 Track days..But there would have been no Manilow..:)

PS..Thanks for the Flashback..:)

Dire Straits on December 18, 2011 at 3:40 AM

Katy, unfortunately, I just don’t see Bachmann or Santorum having the chops to get the deed done in the general election. Santorum couldn’t even win a state wide election and Bachmann is just not Palin.

karenhasfreedom on December 18, 2011 at 3:43 AM

Odd no Csdeven crying Bigot within 5 minutes. Mitt’s workers need to sleep too!

Best show back to back would be All-American Muslim followed by All American Morman. I wanna see all the behind doors stuff. Wear shoes in the house 10 canes. Dont do the dishes on time 15 canes. Dont go to temple Shunned by friends and family. Drink Coffee, Shunned. Sex before marriage. Shunned. Smoke a cig. Shunned.

Follow a god who was made up by a guy who felt disenfranchised?

There isnt much difference between joe smith and mohammed. Joe wanted something that allowed him more wives. Mo wanted something that allowed him more wives.

Nothing stopped Mo. US Goverment stopped Joe

I dared to say Mormon and Muslim within a paragraph. So I will be called a bigot.

Gedge on December 18, 2011 at 3:51 AM

Dire Straits

Excellent post

I agree

It’s all good

The twerp woman is an idjut just like youse

Whatever

It’s all cool

I agree

Horace on December 18, 2011 at 4:45 AM

karenhasfreedom

Re: The Twerp woman

Mangez-moi!

The French equivalent of “Up Thine.”

Horace on December 18, 2011 at 4:47 AM

Dire Straits

“Take a second look at Rick Perry”

I have.

First look: He’s an idiot

Second look: He’s a moron

Excellent post.

I agree.

It’s all good. “)

The Twerp woman is really not as dumb as she seems.

It’s all cool. :)

Horace on December 18, 2011 at 4:55 AM

To paraphrase Arthur Schopenhauer: All warnings about just how bad a choice for the Presidency Freddy Mac Gingrich would be pass through three stages. First, the warnings are ridiculed. Second, the warnings are violently opposed. Third, the warnings are accepted as being self-evident.

VorDaj on December 18, 2011 at 5:19 AM

Rats in the Kitchen: A Parable

VorDaj on December 18, 2011 at 5:30 AM

Gedge on December 18, 2011 at 3:51 AM

..you’re a bigot.

Happy now?

The War Planner on December 18, 2011 at 5:40 AM

katy on December 18, 2011 at 2:20 AM

I guess my mileage varys..:)

Dire Straits on December 18, 2011 at 2:38 AM

alt is a very good poster..IMHO..:)

Dire Straits on December 18, 2011 at 2:43 AM

OT:

… would this qualify as some variation of speaking of yourself in third person?

Axe on December 18, 2011 at 6:25 AM

Romney creates jobs. Gingrich creates controversy. Obama creates Debt.

The choice is clear folks.

Ruiner on December 18, 2011 at 6:45 AM

Don’t be so fast Ruiner, how about these Romney controversies?

karenhasfreedom on December 18, 2011 at 6:56 AM

Coulter is really starting to sound silly. Mitt and Michelle are the two conservatives? I grant that Michelle is, but Mitt??? Coulter then tries to play us as we are stupid by defining conservative so that Mitt fits the bill, that is repeal Obamacare and illegal immigration.

But even if you restrict conservatives to those two issues Mitt is shaky on both. Romneycare and when he is pressed on illegal immigration he sounds a lot like Newt. However, when you look at all the rest of the issues and flip-flopping Mitt is probably the least conservative. He is nowhere near Michelle, Santorum, and Perry and he trails Huntsman and Gingrich. The only person I would put him ahead of is Ron Paul who is not a conservative by a libertarian.

I think too many of the pundits believe we are too stupid to figure out when they are trying to play us. Since they are adored by us when fighting against the left they believe they can feed us anything and we will accept it because of their greatness!

RonDelDon on December 18, 2011 at 7:05 AM

The twerp woman is an idjut just like youse

Horace on December 18, 2011 at 4:45 AM

Hey look everyone, it’s the B- student of Alinsky’s Tactic 7 Rule 5.

Do you always make your entrance to a party by barging in the door and sh*tting on the carpet?

You offer no commentary, nothing to add to the conversation, just waltz in and start with your customary ridicule and insults.

You know what ‘WhoreAss’ (humorous enough for ya) other than the liberal troll back on page one, the only “idjut” I’ve seen around here is you.

And something tells me neither of you will be stinkin’ up the joint for long.

Flora Duh on December 18, 2011 at 7:21 AM

Follow a god who was made up by a guy who felt disenfranchised?

Gedge on December 18, 2011 at 3:51 AM

I could be wrong here, but the last time I checked, it wasn’t Mormons who flew planes into buildings killing 3,000 people. Nor did I read that Maj. Hassan screamed Brigham Young’s name when he gunned down 14 soldiers at Ft. Hood.

I guess this is one of the consequences of having two advertised open registrations back to back.

TxAnn56 on December 18, 2011 at 7:42 AM

TxAnn56 on December 18, 2011 at 7:42 AM

Right on TxAnn! That is one of the most ridiculous, and might I add “unique”, criticisms I’ve ever seen of Governor Romney.

Flora Duh on December 18, 2011 at 7:52 AM

The establishment Republicans can’t make Romney look any more “conservative”, so they make all efforts to make his opposition seem as “big buisness” as possible. FAIL.

Czar of Defenestration on December 18, 2011 at 8:02 AM

Gedge on December 18, 2011 at 3:51 AM

Many legitimate criticisms of Mormonism can be offered, but comparing Mormonism to the Jihad probably isn’t one of them.

Axe on December 18, 2011 at 8:51 AM

A few hours back I’d written about the Republican Party dropping its mask of being any *ostensible* opposition to the Democrats, how I will support a Tea Party for 2016 and, in the meanwhile support Gingrich as my first choice of those running.

A few folks wrote back, “how can you support the Tea Party if you support Gingrich?”

SIMPLE: Gingrich, unlike Bachmann – whom I would otherwise support – can defeat the Obama Election Machine. Bachmann would be toast; she lacks the cajones of e.g. Palin (has shown that she cannot hold her own in confrontation). Overall, her record may be ideologically “purer,” but pales in the shadow of Gingrich’s accomplishments, warts and all.

This *is* a year in which “bombast,” for lack of better words, is a necessary asset. To get to a Tea Party in 2016, you first must defeat the monstrous Democrat currently in office. Gingrich can do that; I believe Bachmann and others cannot.

Czar of Defenestration on December 18, 2011 at 8:54 AM

Dire Straits

“Take a second look at Rick Perry”

I have.

First look: He’s an idiot

Second look: He’s a moron

Excellent post.

I agree.

It’s all good. “)

The Twerp woman is really not as dumb as she seems.

It’s all cool. :)

Horace on December 18, 2011 at 4:55 AM

ROFL…

katy on December 18, 2011 at 2:20 AM

Oh, give me a break. That one thrives on stirring up sh1t and then having someone from her little high-schoolish clique to come along to stick up for her. Like in this instance.

ddrintn on December 18, 2011 at 9:26 AM

Ah… I feel cleansed. Thanks DS.

katy on December 18, 2011 at 3:31 AM

PS..Thanks for the Flashback..:)

Dire Straits on December 18, 2011 at 3:40 AM

My daily driver is equipped with a Quadophonic 8-track…. the original Surroundsound :-)

cane_loader on December 18, 2011 at 10:04 AM

Tea Party members are flocking to Gingrich not Romney.

Why do Americans want to elect RINO Romney, the Obama Lite. Romney is an elitist and a Wall Street insider. Nevermind that Romneycare was the template for Obamacare.

Americans seem to have a very short memory, or else a wish to go the way of Europe.

The only candidate who has the knowledge, courage and conviction to dismantle Obama’s disaster and restore the US is Gingrich.

This is the most important US election in decades and all I see is Republicans cannibalizing one another.

Obama is watching with glee!

Sparky5253 on December 18, 2011 at 10:13 AM

TxAnn56 on December 18, 2011 at 7:42 AM
——————————————————————-

And I’m counting on you….to help weed them out!

KOOLAID2 on December 18, 2011 at 10:35 AM

Baxter Greene on December 18, 2011 at 9:48 AM
(on the OOTD of today)
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

BAXTER GREENE IS BACK!!!
(Also at 10:18 AM)
Explanation at 10:22 AM

KOOLAID2 on December 18, 2011 at 11:00 AM

Re Katy etc:I’m a straight shooter. I say what I think. The decision to take it or leave it is up to you. I can take care of myself. unless someone calls me something anti-Jewish or whatever…it’s no biggie.
Thanks to those who jumped in to to defend me. My detractors can go eff off.

annoyinglittletwerp on December 18, 2011 at 11:08 AM

Slack-dog.

Just the guy I want campaigning against the 24/7 Obama machine.

JohnGalt23 on December 18, 2011 at 11:19 AM

Writing in SP. If we’re going under for the 3rd time, at least, I won’t be holding my nose.

Kissmygrits on December 18, 2011 at 11:35 AM

“Their skill sets and personalities could not be more different, but they could blend together and become a formidable force of constructive change.”

Re: A Romney / Gingrich ticketUmmmmmmm … No.
Neither wants to be, or will be, second banana to anyone.
Although Mittens might be persuaded to be walked on and mocked relentlessly – much like ‘Slow Joe’ Biden. The same phony smile and all! Both deserve it.

An Alpha Male vs. a Ken Doll, eh? I’ll bet on the Alpha any time.
(hopefully Rick Perry gets it together in time)

~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus on December 18, 2011 at 11:39 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on December 18, 2011 at 11:08 AM

You remind me of my younger sister, who also says what she thinks. It makes for some entertaining holiday gatherings! Moxie, yeah, that’s it ;-)

You know what ‘WhoreAss’ (humorous enough for ya)
Flora Duh on December 18, 2011 at 7:21 AM

Now that’s funny. He can be a nasty little tyke.

DoubleClutchin on December 18, 2011 at 4:35 PM