South Carolina Tea Party darling Nikki Haley endorses and records robocall for Mitt Romney

posted at 2:15 pm on December 16, 2011 by Tina Korbe

To Twitter cries of “RINO” and “sellout,” Tea-Party-elected South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley endorsed former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney for president today. In an appearance on Fox and Friends, Haley said she prizes Romney’s proven ability to “turn broken companies around.” She also suggested Romney is the most electable of the 2012 GOP presidential candidates:

“Today is the day that I’m throwing all of my support behind Mitt Romney for president,”Haley said on FOX & Friends.  “What I want was someone who is not part of the chaos that is Washington. What I wanted was someone who knew what it was like to turn broken companies around.”

Haley also argued that Romney was the only candidate that could defeat President Barack Obama next fall.

“Governor Romney is the one candidate that President Obama insistently tries to hit and get out of the way,” Haley said from South Carolina. “That lets me know he’s scared of him.”

Haley — widely described with the likes of Paul Ryan, Marco Rubio, Kelly Ayotte and others as “a rising Republican star” — would likely be on any GOP candidate’s shortlist of potential vice presidential running mates. It’s plausible she endorsed Romney in the hopes of moving up in the party, as some top talkers, including Rush Limbaugh, have suggested. It’s also plausible Romney just called in a favor: He was one of Haley’s earliest backers, campaigning for her in what FoxNews.com calls “her historic bid to become the first Indian-American woman governor of the Palmetto State.” His PAC also donated money to her campaign effort.

But a less cynical explanation is plausible, too. Perhaps Haley — upon careful consideration of Newt Gingrich, who, at this point, must be admitted as the most likely candidate to be nominated if Romney is not — decided she wanted to use her considerable weight to do whatever she could to forestall Gingrich’s nomination. If that was the case, she was not necessarily selling out her Tea Party convictions.

A few weeks ago, when I weighed Gingrich against Romney, I tipped the balance in Gingrich’s favor with this sentiment: “Romney’s signature achievement was Romneycare, while Gingrich’s signature achievement was welfare reform.” But, last night, I had a thought that tipped the balance in Romney’s favor. Both Romney and Gingrich have betrayed conservatism. But Romney’s betrayals came in a liberal state surrounded by liberals. As he put it at the debate last night, it’s hard to sneak Republican judicial nominees past a board of Democrats. In contrast, at least a few of Gingrich’s betrayals came in a conservative Congress surrounded by conservatives. It’s possible to make the case that Romney is actually conservative at his core but was circumstantially forced into supporting liberal legislation, while Gingrich is actually more pro-big-government at his core but was circumstantially forced into supporting conservative legislation.

Perhaps that’s far-fetched — and it’s very hard to say for sure what either really believes. (What can I say? They’re both great politicians!) I say this not to endorse Romney myself — clearly, I’m still very undecided about all the candidates (and my views align most closely with the underdogs) — but to try to restore faith in Nikki Haley somewhat. She could actually have made the endorsement based on what she thinks will be best for the conservative movement. At least, that’s what I’d like to believe.

Update: CNN’s Peter Hamby reports Haley has also recorded a robocall to tout Romney.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5 6 7

Many of those I talk with face to face and online are hardly extremists or crazies and they don’t want Romney to get the nod either.
Newt may not be a perfect candidate, but I trust him more than Romney…which that much to start with.

Hard Right on December 16, 2011 at 4:57 PM

I guess it all depends what circles you move in…I have the exact opposite experience…most of the people we/my family come in contact and who are of a conservative or somewhat conservative persuasion (right and center right, but definitely not the extreme types)) prefer Romney to Gingrich….from our conversations, most of them literally abhor Gingrich and his past record, and would take Romney over him any time of the day… some are neutral/indifferent or lukewarm to Romney but even they admit that he’s the only sane and actually appealing candidate in the GOP bunch of…So, yeah, in what I am concerned, the reverse of your statement is true: ‘Mitt may not be a perfect candidate, but I trust him more than Gingrich’…

jimver on December 16, 2011 at 5:14 PM

Well, bursting onto HA insulting everyone who holds the majority opinion concerning Mr. 20%, Willard Mitt Romney, is not the way to win friends and influence posters.

kingsjester on December 16, 2011 at 5:09 PM

I am not really interested in winning the hearts and minds of the bigots/ignoramuses. That is rather impossible. Just interested in exposing them for others to see.

Gunlock Bill on December 16, 2011 at 5:14 PM

Gunlock Bill, my fiance is a Mormon. I don’t support a liberal like Romney. That makes me a bigot?

Hard Right on December 16, 2011 at 4:29 PM

Yes. It also makes you a crazy person. Stupid too. The wise men of DC establishment GOP have spoken.

angryed on December 16, 2011 at 5:14 PM

Romney has no political principles that he won’t change to win an election.

Gladtobehere on December 16, 2011 at 5:05 PM

Romney has always been consistent and there is NO PROOF to suggest otherwise. I mean, what person doesn’t change their view on abortion after being confronted with the inhumane horror of embryo research? Romney is honest, consistent, and the only conservative with true *core* conservative convictions. Tina figured it out, Gladtobehere, and I’m sure you can, too.

Punchenko on December 16, 2011 at 5:15 PM

I guess it all depends what circles you move in…I have the exact opposite experience…most of the people we/my family come in contact and who are of a conservative or somewhat conservative persuasion (right and center right, but definitely not the extreme types))be a perfect candidate, but I trust him more than Gingrich’…

jimver on December 16, 2011 at 5:14 PM

Define

right
center right
extreme

angryed on December 16, 2011 at 5:16 PM

Gunlock Bill on December 16, 2011 at 5:14 PM

Start with the man in the mirror.

kingsjester on December 16, 2011 at 5:16 PM

Gunlock Bill on December 16, 2011 at 5:14 PM

Pot meet kettle….LOL

idesign on December 16, 2011 at 5:17 PM

The greatest leaders of the world have always been squishy moderates with principles that change weekly based on polls.

ROMNEY 2012!!!!

angryed on December 16, 2011 at 5:10 PM

Hold it right there, partner. Mitt Romney doesn’t go by polls — if he did, he would be running as a conservative instead of a sensible, moderate Republican who believes in a state’s right to force you to buy something. Mitt has always been consistent and has a great team around him telling him to stay consistent.

Punchenko on December 16, 2011 at 5:18 PM

Another disappointment. You can’t call yourself a conservative and endorse a RINO.

TMAZ on December 16, 2011 at 5:19 PM

Hard Right on December 16, 2011 at 4:29 PM

No, it reveals your ignorance to think that Romney is a liberal.

Gunlock Bill on December 16, 2011 at 5:21 PM

Gunlock Bill on December 16, 2011 at 5:14 PM

quite refreshing to run into someone rational, who can think for himself, on HA..

jimver on December 16, 2011 at 5:23 PM

Romney has no political principles that he won’t change to win an election.

Gladtobehere on December 16, 2011 at 5:05 PM

That is why he has repudiated what he did with Masscare.

Oh wait.

Gunlock Bill on December 16, 2011 at 5:09 PM

Romney already has such a reputation as a flip-flopper that abandoning Masscare wouldn’t help him in the Republican race. He’s hoping that holding on to Masscare might help him in the general election.

Gladtobehere on December 16, 2011 at 5:28 PM

kmalkows on December 16, 2011 @ 4:14 PM

I am positive I was standing in Delaware the day I pulled the lever for Christine O’Donnell. Although I didn’t have the opportunity to cast my vote for her against Mike Castle, I’m thrilled he’s gone. We got rid of Biden too. Oh happy day.

Just couldn’t resist the urge to post this even though I can’t figure out how to quote that to which I am referring.

FieldTripper on December 16, 2011 at 5:29 PM

Sigh.

Tit-for-tat, if that was the case here, is what the Tea Party has been working to do away with. Not doing so allows the perpetuation of the GOP elites, which Rush also mentioned the GOP claims doesn’t exist, and does nothing to reform government.

madmonkphotog on December 16, 2011 at 5:30 PM

It’s becoming more and more clear that most of the so-called conservatives – like Haley – are just establishment pretenders. The litmus test for me is Ron Paul. If you don’t like him, you are probably a big-government supporter. The “mainstream” tea-party types will always fall in line to the establishment.

NewLiberty on December 16, 2011 at 5:31 PM

We have a weak field this season. Our candidate “bench” was substantially depleted when, in 2006-08, we lost 8 governorships, several Senate seats, and dozens of House seats. We have a lot of neat, rising stars–e.g., Christie, Haley, Rubio–but they don’t have enough time in office yet to prove their Presidential timbre.

It’s a tough call between Romney and Gingrich. I support Romney, but do so primarily because I think Romney is precisely the milquetoast “generic Republican” that will allow us to make the 2012 election a referendum on Obama. Were Gingrich the nominee, the media would–I think–be able to make the race about Gingrich’s various “off color” remarks and “zany” policy positions over the years. So, in short, I’m picking what I think is the lesser of two evils based on tea leaf reading about “electability.”

Outlander on December 16, 2011 at 5:35 PM

Romney has no political principles that he won’t change to win an election.

Gladtobehere on December 16, 2011 at 5:05 PM

Punchenko on December 16, 2011 at 5:15 PM

Punchenko, even his own wife has said that Romney can talk convincingly while taking any position. Pro-abortion, pro-life, more government, less government; there’s a new Romney every election. I was throwing up in 2008 when Romney ran as a “conservative.” He still makes me want to throw up. And the flipping and the flopping will not help him beat Obama. Romney will need to stand on principle in the general election, and he doesn’t know how.

Gladtobehere on December 16, 2011 at 5:36 PM

Mitt “Pre-Owned Salesman of the Month” Romney is neither a conservative or a liberal, a moderate or an extremist, a leftie or a rightie nor a flip or a flop.

Willard is a character from Lewis Carroll’s classic:

“I wonder if I’ve been changed in the night? Let me think. Was I the same when I got up this morning? I almost think I can remember feeling a little different. But if I’m not the same, the next question is ‘Who in the world am I?’ Ah, that’s the great puzzle!’

Go ask Alice.

Horace on December 16, 2011 at 5:37 PM

Maybe Governor Haley just read the article by Steven Slivinski linked to on Hot Air last night. That should be enough to push anyone off the fence about Gingrich.

bizkid64 on December 16, 2011 at 5:38 PM

I don’t like Romney because he’s only mildly conservative and comes across as incredibly namby pamby. In fact, Willard’s so wobbly at his core that he’d probably get all bow-legged if he were to drink a shot of Jim Beam. He should stick to drinking sarsaparilla and hawking top down health care schemes in convalescent homes in the north-east.

Spirit Crusher on December 16, 2011 at 5:38 PM

No, it reveals your ignorance to think that Romney is a liberal.

Gunlock Bill

More like it tells us you are delusional and angry at those of us who refuse to buy into your delusion.

Hard Right on December 16, 2011 at 5:39 PM

Sigh.

madmonkphotog on December 16, 2011 at 5:30 PM

sigh

Nikki Haley might actually have thought that Romney is the best choice out there. Maybe the real sell outs are the people who would pour a gallon of gas on their heads and light a match if Rushbo gave the orders. People who can not manage to come up with an electable alternative but somehow think they can tell how everyone what it takes to be a real conservative.

Romney balanced a budget, he cut the size of government in a state with a Democratic legislature and he is far more conservative than a lot of the ABR people are giving him credit for. I guess they would prefer some lying thieving bombastic clown like Gingrich.

Terrye on December 16, 2011 at 5:40 PM

Go ask Alice.

Horace on December 16, 2011 at 5:37 PM

Very good…

Gohawgs on December 16, 2011 at 5:40 PM

No to mention he will get destroyed by obama. People won’t see much of a difference between the two and will likely choose to keep obama. That is especially likely if the economy improves.

Hard Right on December 16, 2011 at 5:42 PM

Hard Right on December 16, 2011 at 5:42 PM

Shut up you crazy person. Haven’t you seen the polls? Romney is losing to Obama by only 2%. It will be a landslide win for Mittens. What voter won’t vote for the carbon copy of Obama, but with the added bonus of being a rich old white guy?

angryed on December 16, 2011 at 5:43 PM

Highly disappointing, yet entirely unexpected. South Carolina has been the ultimate enforcer of the Next-In-Line™ principle, and Romney is Next-In-Line™.

Steve Eggleston on December 16, 2011 at 5:43 PM

No, it reveals your ignorance to think that Romney is a liberal.

Gunlock Bill

I agree, but they have been programmed to think that Romney is a liberal, at least for now… but a few years ago when everyone from Rush to Levin was supporting the guy he was not a liberal.. They don’t see that inconsistency either. That is the amazing thing.

Terrye on December 16, 2011 at 5:44 PM

What a fraud.Like a typical RINO she ran as an anti-establishment principled conservative just to get the support of the Tea Party and conservatives here in SC.Now we see her real stripes.Haley- you will be a one term Governor.As I write this post precinct by precinct conservatives are meeting to plan our strategy to primary this unprincipled corrupt traitor.There will be consequences for your disloyalty Governor!

redware on December 16, 2011 at 5:45 PM

Haley is going to regret this endorsement in future years, I suspect. If Romeny should win the presidency, he will govern as a moderate, and that usually means a lot of liberal stuff.

If he wins the primary, but loses to Obama, she will have endorsed a loser who was proppped up as the only one who could beat Obama.

Haley did sell out her voters in this instance.

Dr. Tesla on December 16, 2011 at 5:46 PM

angryed

People know (or think they do) obama and like him. Run someone against him that is basically the same politically, they don’t know, or don’t like, and you have a second obama term.

Hard Right on December 16, 2011 at 5:46 PM

Hard Right on December 16, 2011 at 5:42 PM

angryed on December 16, 2011 at 5:43 PM

I don’t think Obama will be easy to beat. But I do think that Romney has the best chance…I also think that he is a decent man who really does not deserve to be vilified by a lot of people who obviously are not capable of coming up with a rational alternative..it seems that this kind of silliness is par for the course in every presidential election anymore..

Terrye on December 16, 2011 at 5:48 PM

Romney supporters are nuts. They act like Rush has been going after Romney hard and is in the tank for Gingrich.

It seems like all the experts on Rush never listen to his show or if they do, they have poor comprehension skills.

Dr. Tesla on December 16, 2011 at 5:49 PM

Hard Right on December 16, 2011 at 5:42 PM

yeah, and by contrast, they will see so much of a difference between Obama and Gingrich that they will run scare into the Obama camp. Gingrich could scare the heck out of any sane individual.

jimver on December 16, 2011 at 5:49 PM

Newt has a 90% ACU rating. The very people who are pushing Romney are the ones that pushed McCain and pointed to his ACU rating. So what has changed?

Hard Right on December 16, 2011 at 5:50 PM

Shouldn’t a decent man be decent enough to tell us what he really believes? Why is Romney so coy and shifty and smarmy about his politics if he’s this great man of virtue?

Tells us what you believe, Romney, win or lose.

Dr. Tesla on December 16, 2011 at 5:50 PM

Haley did sell out her voters in this instance.

Dr. Tesla on December 16, 2011 at 5:46 PM

Nonsense.. Who are you to decide she sold out her voters…I mean listen to you people…all these folks are just wonderful until they endorse Romney…Christie, Haley, for Chrisake even O’Donnell…it might just be that they are not all the ones who are wrong..it might be that it is you guys. Did you ever think of that? Who are you to tell them who they can and can not endorse?

Terrye on December 16, 2011 at 5:51 PM

What is scary about Gingrich? I don’t understand this line of attack.

Dr. Tesla on December 16, 2011 at 5:51 PM

Terrye on December 16, 2011 at 5:44 PM

if by ‘programmed’ you mean some sort of brainwashed, then agree..

jimver on December 16, 2011 at 5:51 PM

It seems to me Romney cultists like Terrye are trying to tell me I can’t criticize Haley for her endorsement of Romney.

I’m from South Carolina. I like Haley, but I like her less now. She should have abstained from making an endorsement, in my view. It’s not like she had to endorse a man who ran as a liberal in Mass and governed like one up there.

Dr. Tesla on December 16, 2011 at 5:53 PM

I can’t believe people get upset if other people think Romney is kind of liberal. Hell, the guy is running as a moderate for a reason.

Dr. Tesla on December 16, 2011 at 5:53 PM

if by ‘programmed’ you mean some sort of brainwashed, then agree..

jimver

More like you are brainwashed to avoid the fact that Romney is a phony. You can’t face reality eh?
I looked at Romney’s past and present. Sorry, he’s a liberal and not a Conservative.

Hard Right on December 16, 2011 at 5:54 PM

As a resident of S.C. i can tell you Gov.Haley is catching hell today from conservatives.The talk radio lines are burning up with people calling her traitor,lier,sell out,one term gov.It,s apparent to me and others Romney offer her a job maybe even VP to get her to sell out.We thought she was different but she just a average lying politician.

logman1 on December 16, 2011 at 5:55 PM

Romney and his fans b!tch and whine more than Lindsay Lohan. Romney routinely attacks, ridicules and belittles his opponents and sends out surrogates to do the same, yet he squirms under Bret Baier’s questioning, he won’t appear for extended interviews, he cries foul over charges of flip-flops, suggests religious bigotry by others, etc. Romneydom is the domain of the victim prone. At least Rick Perry rolls with his foibles and missteps. Romney is a shill for a tepid view of America. No thanks.

Spirit Crusher on December 16, 2011 at 5:55 PM

I can’t believe the father of Obamacare, a man that teamed up with Ted Kennedy to implement it and also secure federal subsidies for it, not to mention his support for the ban on assault weapons in Mass, is now heralded as a conservative by his supporters.

Romney couldn’t even vocally support Bush’s tax cuts in 2002. If he’s a conservative, he’s the most timid one we’ve seen.

Dr. Tesla on December 16, 2011 at 5:56 PM

Tells us what you believe, Romney, win or lose.

Dr. Tesla on December 16, 2011 at 5:50 PM

Who the hell says he has been coy? Just because you can sandwich all of his views into some simpleminded 30 second soundbite does not mean he is being coy. I read his book. I have listened to him in several debates and interviews, I never got the impression he was being coy.

Some people are just so full of hate that they refuse to even give him chance..meanwhile we watch them go from one clown to another out there and none of them can possibly win a national election because they suck in one way or another..and here people are going on with this fiction that Romney, a man that Rush Limbaugh called a true conservative three years, is some kind of evil moderate..it is stupid and self defeating..

We went through this with McCain too and my guess is that for some people it will always be this way.

Terrye on December 16, 2011 at 5:56 PM

Terrye on December 16, 2011 at 5:48 PM

McCain had the best chance too. He was every liberal’s favorite Republican (until he was Hitler). He was every independent’s favorite Republican (until they all voted for Obama).

Mittens is the most electable because the RNC and MSM have been saying he is. There is no reason for it other than it’s what everyone says.

As for being a nice decent man, great. I’m sure he is. And so was McCain. And Bob Dole was a nice guy too. And what did that get us?

As for why people oppose him: two word ROMNEY CARE. Or is that inconvenient truth off limits as well?

angryed on December 16, 2011 at 5:57 PM

Nikki Haley is a big disappointment. We Tea Party supporters in SC worked hard for her election against the good ole boy network. She made a mistake in not endorsing a real conservative among the Republican candidates.

mrcasella on December 16, 2011 at 5:58 PM

That’s it. She has gone rogue to the RINO side. Purge her from the tent.

rukiddingme on December 16, 2011 at 5:59 PM

Hard Right on December 16, 2011 at 5:54 PM

Mittbots are like Obamabots in 2008. All the evidence in the world was there proving who Obama really was. A 5 minute Google search is all it took. But the O-bots just covered their eyes and ears to the truth.

Same with Willard this time around. 5 minutes using Google is all you need to know about who Willard really is. But the RNC has brainwashed so many people into thinking he is the next Reagan, they just cover their eyes and ears and go on chugging the kool aid.

angryed on December 16, 2011 at 6:00 PM

A single vote has not been cast, and we still think this is a two man race between Mittens and Gingrich. We do have other choices. If anyone cared to take note, Huntsman is more conservative than either of these two and has a much better record. The gamblers also like his odds in the general against Obama.

HTnFBCoachnTX1980 on December 16, 2011 at 6:01 PM

I don’t think moderates are evil. I think they are wrong. If he wants to run as a moderate, that’s cool, but I will root for him to lose the nomination. In fact, it will be bittersweet if he goes on to lose to Obama, after we have be fearmongered for years that only Romney can beat Obama.

If all he has to sell is his “electability”, he better not lose the election.

A vote for Romney is a vote for moderation, not conservatism. And moderation tends to look a lot like liberalism.

Dr. Tesla on December 16, 2011 at 6:02 PM

Dr. Tesla on December 16, 2011 at 5:56 PM

You do not even know what you are talking about..for one thing, Romney is not the father of Obamacare..but it is nice to see you using Democratic talking points..I am sure they appreciate your help..the Heritage Foundation helped write and implement the Mass Health Care bill..that would be the same Heritage Foundation that Rush Limbaugh shills for on a daily basis..and he did not get federal funds to help implement..the federal funds were already there for another program that gave health care subsidies to the poor and they used those funds..they did not get them for that purpose..and 84% of the people in that state supported that program as well. It only effected the 7.8% that did not have insurance in the first place and several parts of that bill were actually vetoed by Romney and the Democratic legislature over rode his veto.. There were actually several differences between Romneycare and Obamacare..at least, unlike Gingrich Romney has not been supporting a national mandate for the last 17 years.

As for tax cuts, Romney cut taxes, he cut the size of government in that state and he balanced the budget..he is not perfect..but he is also not this caricature that you have created.

Here is a link for some information if you care to look at it.

Terrye on December 16, 2011 at 6:03 PM

I like Nikki and how she stood up for her state, but this is way too early to endorse. I think the Govs should keep their powder dry til the nominee is declared, unless, of course, they were promised a piece of the crony pie :(

DeniseVB on December 16, 2011 at 6:04 PM

Huntsman is no conservative, and he screwed himself by sneering at conservatives over doubts about global warming and evolution.

I can’t beleive people are still trying to tout that guy at this point. The man has no personality and is just weird, he makes Obama look charismatic.

Dr. Tesla on December 16, 2011 at 6:04 PM

angryed

So I’m seeing. If someone wants to support him, then fine. Just don’t bash us for not supporting him.

Hard Right on December 16, 2011 at 6:04 PM

Hard Right on December 16, 2011 at 5:54 PM

…if you ‘looked’ at his past and present using your biased and bigoted ‘lens’, sorry, it doesn’t count…you will always see the same thing through those lens…in my book Gingrich is no conservative…Freddie Mac and all baggage aside, the man is a total loon…

jimver on December 16, 2011 at 6:05 PM

Dr. Tesla on December 16, 2011 at 6:04 PM

You have some fair points here, except for the first statement. Find me one example in his record as governor that was not conservative.

HTnFBCoachnTX1980 on December 16, 2011 at 6:08 PM

Terrye, have you read Philip Klein’s piece on Romney being to the left of McCain?

Attacking Limbaugh isn’t going to help you sell Romney to conservatives. I avoid that line of attack if I were you. He’s been easy on Romney thus far so I wouldn’t wage a one sided war if I were you b/c if he starts going after Romney hard, it could cost your boy the nomination.

Dr. Tesla on December 16, 2011 at 6:08 PM

Dr. Tesla on December 16, 2011 at 6:02 PM

moderation tends to look a lot like normality and lack of extremes. and this, I like….

jimver on December 16, 2011 at 6:09 PM

Terrye on December 16, 2011 at 5:40 PM

Yep, just as I predicted. The trolls have infested Hot Air.

madmonkphotog on December 16, 2011 at 6:10 PM

If all he has to sell is his “electability”, he better not lose the election.

Dr. Tesla on December 16, 2011 at 6:02 PM

I think a vote for Romnney is a vote for a better man than Barack Obama..and I have to tell you I am getting fed up with getting lectures on true conservatism from people who never come up with anyone who is even remotely capable of winning or gaining real support. I think Romney is more conservative than you give him credit for…but I also think that no one would please you..no one who could actually get the nomination..and chances are that anyone who looked like they might fit the bill would eventually endorse the wrong person or do something that would have people screaming sell out at the top of their lungs anyway..so why bother trying to please people who can not be pleased?

Terrye on December 16, 2011 at 6:10 PM

I’m not going to elaborate on Huntsman. I think he ran on the premise that conservatives are a bunch of anti-science cranks, and he deserves to lose on that alone.

When he’s showing up in the polls and getting invited to all the debates, maybe I’ll care enough to talk more about him.

Dr. Tesla on December 16, 2011 at 6:10 PM

Below are just a few of the many people who support Romney. The unhinged, irrational Romney bashers would have you believe they are all liberals or RINOS. The laughable, looney conspiracy theory that Romney is somehow a stealth liberal makes some of you Romney bashers sound as deluded as the 9/11 truther crowd.

just a few Romney supporters: Chris Christie, Kelly Ayotte, Nikki Haley, John Thune, Roy Blunt, Ann Coulter, Michael Savage, Rush Limbaugh (well, in 2008), National Review, fmr Iowa Gov. Robert Ray, Robert Bork, and so on…

Marco Rubio would make a fine running mate for Romney, and the Tampa Bay, FL (swing state) location for the 2012 Republican convention will be a perfect match.

Romney is clearly the conservative with the best chance of beating Obama. Perry and Gingrich are fine people, but they would have little chance of beating Obama, and, on top of that, would arguably govern no more conservatively than Romney would (and especially not in the case of Gingrich, who is probably the most liberal Republican running).

We support Mitt because we know he would make an excellent president and because we want to WIN in 2012. No more playing games with inexperienced, untested clowns and jokers!

bluegill on December 16, 2011 at 6:11 PM

Dr. Tesla on December 16, 2011 at 6:10 PM

Fair enough… BTW he’s up to 13% in New Hampshire, so I’ll check back with you if he crosses 20% there

HTnFBCoachnTX1980 on December 16, 2011 at 6:12 PM

Ter,

I support almost anybody over Obama, and I never said I won’t vote for Romney.

I think the Romney voters are more likely to vote for Obama or sit it out if he’s not the nominee.

He’s a moderate. Why deny it? He’s cleary running as a moderate this election cycle. He ran as a conservative last time.

I’m not going to vote for somebody in the primary that doesn’t want to be seen as a conservative. That’s our Romney. If he wants to run as a moderate, he has to accept the consequences of that.

Dr. Tesla on December 16, 2011 at 6:14 PM

Terrye on December 16, 2011 at 6:03 PM

He did not cut taxes. In fact he raised taxes. But in typical Willard Mittens style, he didn’t call it a tax increase. He just raised “fees”. After all fees paid to the govt aren’t taxes, right? They’re just voluntary donations made by citizens who want to drive or own a business or buy a house or fish or hunt or get married. Hardly anyone was affected by the increase in fees.

angryed on December 16, 2011 at 6:14 PM

Again, what do you all think about this as a Romney campaign slogan?

“Mitt Romney: He’ll lay off just as many government workers as he did regular people working at Bain Capital”

HTnFBCoachnTX1980 on December 16, 2011 at 6:14 PM

Wow!..This is a big deal by Team Romney to pick up the endorsement of Nikki Haley one of the “Tea Party” young guns..:)

Dire Straits on December 16, 2011 at 6:15 PM

Dr. Tesla on December 16, 2011 at 6:14 PM

What in heck are you basing that on? That is pure bunk. Many Romney supporters support Romney not only because of his skills, experience and solid conservative positions, but also because he is the best candidate to DEFEAT Obama. You are clearly out-of-touch and don’t know what you’re talking about.

I think you are confusing Romney supporters with anti-Romney loons who stupidly declare that they will stay home rather than vote for Romney if he were running against Obama.

bluegill on December 16, 2011 at 6:17 PM

Chris Christie is a liberal/moderate on most issues outside of spending. Ann Coulter worships Christie and Romney even though they pretty much don’t seem to share her politics. She’s lost a lot of crediblity with her fans when it comes down to voting for candidates. Back in 2008, she told us Fred Thompson wasn’t conservative enough. I think Gingrich’s record in political office is easily more conservative than Romney’s and she hates Gingrich, and it seems to be based mostly on the fact he had affairs back in the 1990s. But the fact is Coulter has never been married, and Gingrich has stayed commited to his current wife than Coulter has to all the boyfriends she has had combined. It’s curious to me that an unmarrried woman who bounces around from man to man like she claims gay men do is so anti-Newt b/c of his past indiscretions. How about a little forgiveness too, if she’s a Christian.

Dr. Tesla on December 16, 2011 at 6:19 PM

Romney raised corporate taxes and state fees on the average citizen- FACT

That so called balanced budget is being destroyed by the healthcare mandate, much of which he supported. —FACT

Romney is anti-Gun— FACT

But he is a Conservative? Riiiight.

Hard Right on December 16, 2011 at 6:20 PM

Dr. Tesla on December 16, 2011 at 6:19 PM

You just proved my point. All those conservatives are suddenly not conservatives because they support the man who you have an irrational, strange aversion to. You find problems with all of them. Maybe you are the one with the problem, not them.

bluegill on December 16, 2011 at 6:22 PM

I can’t see many Romney supporters voting for Bachman, Santorum, Gingrich, Perry, based on their rhetoric and disdain for these canddidates.

I think Romney is our Obama type candidate. He’s been propped and puffed up by our media, but he’s not that great in debates, downright nervous most of the time, and he did poorly in an interview with Fox News recently.

We hear a lot from pundits about what a great temperament he has and how brilliant he is, etc, but these are the same type of vapid arguments used to tout Obama in 2008.

He doesn’t strike me as all that interested in political philosophy, and I think that’s a problem when you are applying to be the president. If he just wants to manage something, there’s a Taco Bell that could use a good manager.

Dr. Tesla on December 16, 2011 at 6:23 PM

Again, what do you all think about this as a Romney campaign slogan?

HTnFBCoachnTX1980 on December 16, 2011 at 6:14 PM

As a Romney supporter, I think that’s actually hilarious. I would actually support that as a real bumper sticker! lol

bluegill on December 16, 2011 at 6:24 PM

It appears the Willard campaign flooded Hot Air with operatives.

Only a RNC staffer could write this type of junk

bluegill on December 16, 2011 at 6:17 PM

I don’t care how much you like a candidate, nobody speaks like that unless they’re reading from a script.

angryed on December 16, 2011 at 6:24 PM

Hard Right on December 16, 2011 at 5:50 PM

Newt is a communist and McCain stole the crown from Romney. It’s Romney’s turn, he worked for it, he earned it. We need moderation in this party — not crazy fringe candidates balancing budgets on the backs of the poor!

Romney ’12

Punchenko on December 16, 2011 at 6:26 PM

Dr. Tesla on December 16, 2011 at 6:23 PM

This sound nice, until you remember that Romney has executive experience that Obama didn’t have, and a lot of his problems he have come from the record he built as a governor, whether you like it or not. He also saved the Salt Lake Olympics, and managing that is one hundred times bigger than anything Obama did in community organizing.

HTnFBCoachnTX1980 on December 16, 2011 at 6:27 PM

Most anti-Romney people will still vote for him against Obama if their guy doesn’t win the nomination.

Most Romney people will vote for Obama if their guy doesn’t win the nomination.

That’s because Romney and their supporters are liberals who’ve lost the love for Obama and are willing to give Obama Lite a chance. But they will under no circumstances vote for a “radical” like Bachmann or Newt or god forbid Santorum.

angryed on December 16, 2011 at 6:27 PM

Dr. Tesla on December 16, 2011 at 6:14 PM

…hmm, funny when you think about how countless number of times I read on HA comments from people of the anti-Romney persuasion saying that they would rather stay at home and let Obama win so that conservatism doesn’t water down in the process with someone like Romney at the helm…

jimver on December 16, 2011 at 6:27 PM

bluegill, you are clearly in the tank for Romney and I understand I cannot reason with you.

I never said that Coulter wasn’t a conservative but I and other conservatives do find her enthusiastic support for moderates like Romney and Christie to be baffling and curious.

I personally think Coulter is concerned about her legacy…both of her parents have recently died, and I think she’s been thinking about how people will view her when she passes. She probably doesn’t want to be remembered as a flamethrower who called 9-11 widows “witches” or implied John Edwards was a f–. She wants to be loved and supporting moderates like Romney and Christie sure seems to have brought a lot of her former haters around to her. :)

Dr. Tesla on December 16, 2011 at 6:27 PM

bluegill

Ummm no. It proves that they talk a good game about being Conservative, but don’t adhere to what they claim their principals are.

Hard Right on December 16, 2011 at 6:27 PM

bluegill on December 16, 2011 at 6:24 PM

Glad you approve… I mean, it is a conservative argument…

HTnFBCoachnTX1980 on December 16, 2011 at 6:28 PM

Dr. Tesla on December 16, 2011 at 6:23 PM

I think you can’t see, period. You sound extremely uninformed and have clearly never met Romney supporters (don’t get out much, eh?), who I have found to be the most informed and committed to getting rid of Obama. Some bigmouth radio hosts might want to grandstand and call for all kinds of ideological purity, but how about winning in reality? You have to make a selection out of the candidates available to us.

The only supporters I would worry about not “coming home” to the eventual Republican nominee are Ron Paul supporters.

bluegill on December 16, 2011 at 6:29 PM

HTnFBCoachnTX1980 on December 16, 2011 at 6:14 PM

Stop spreading lies! Mitt Romney will not lay off anybody! Mitt needs Virginia and to suggest he will lay off government workers only hurts him there. Mitt is a job creator and will create good paying jobs in the public AND private sectors. Just look at all the shelf-stocking jobs he created at Staples!

We need a business man who knows nothing of the ways of Washington or the government to really, really shake things up.

Punchenko on December 16, 2011 at 6:29 PM

This sound nice, until you remember that Romney has executive experience
HTnFBCoachnTX1980 on December 16, 2011 at 6:27 PM

Other people with executive experience before attaining political power

Bill Clinton
Jimmy Carter
Jon Corzine
George Soros

This notion that because Willard Mittens has executive experience means he’s conservative is ludicrous. Plenty of leftists have run companies. Doesn’t mean anything.

angryed on December 16, 2011 at 6:30 PM

The tea party is against bank bailouts.

How ***** can you support Romney?

ProtectDefend on December 16, 2011 at 6:30 PM

The entire logic of the argument that ROmney is our most electable candidate is that the conservative base will turn out for anybody but Obama, but the moderates will not.

You see pundits say this all the time, and they say it with admiration.

I’m saying the exact same thing…it’s more likely that Romney supporters sit it out of he’s not the candidate, or they go vote for Obama. Your average Romney supporter is like your average Obama supporter….they think they are smarter than your average citizen and thus cannot vote for some less than perfect and not so polished candidates like Bachman or Perry or Gingrich.

Dr. Tesla on December 16, 2011 at 6:30 PM

“Rush is big fat bag of wind who supported Romney himself 3 and a half years ago.”

Alot of popular conservatives supported Romney in 08 as the lesser of 2 evils compared to McCain. So did I. We held our noses and voted Romney. And we will again if it is Romney vs Obama. This is a cheap shot to throw out there. But conservatives are getting very tired of bringing nose plugs to the voting booth.

brix on December 16, 2011 at 6:31 PM

bluegill on December 16, 2011 at 6:24 PM

Glad you approve… I mean, it is a conservative argument…

HTnFBCoachnTX1980 on December 16, 2011 at 6:28 PM

If you came up with that, kudos. it’s genius

bluegill on December 16, 2011 at 6:31 PM

Other people with executive experience before attaining political power

Bill Clinton
Jimmy Carter
Jon Corzine
George Soros

angryed on December 16, 2011 at 6:30 PM

you conveniently forgot Ronald Reagan..

jimver on December 16, 2011 at 6:32 PM

angryed on December 16, 2011 at 6:30 PM

if they run them successfully, (liberal or conservative) it means a lot..

jimver on December 16, 2011 at 6:33 PM

bluegill on December 16, 2011 at 6:29 PM

Ah yes of course. As part of every good RINO campaign, you have to bash those crazy talk radio people. Except this time the craziest of them all Glenn Beck is pimping for you guy every day.

To be a Romney supporter you’re either a liberal or a moron. No conservative with 1/2 a brain look at his record and comes to the conclusion that Willard Mitten is a conservative. Unless your definition of conservative is one who raises taxes, raises spending and creates blueprint for Obamacare.

So which are you, lib or moron?

angryed on December 16, 2011 at 6:33 PM

you conveniently forgot Ronald Reagan..

jimver on December 16, 2011 at 6:32 PM

You’re not very quick. I was pointing out that liberals have plenty of executive experience too. Therefore I was giving examples of liberals with said experience.

angryed on December 16, 2011 at 6:34 PM

Punchenko on December 16, 2011 at 6:29 PM

Do you have a life? You are not funny. You are playing a role usually played by Obama worshippers who pretend to be conservatives. They will choose screen names like “Nazis4McCain” and then pretend to support a conservative by using outrageous, deceptive and obviously provocative arguments.

I guess you can’t get any attention promoting your own candidate in a straightforward way, so you have to pretend to be a Romney supporter and make up lies about Romney in order to get attention. Sad, and a waste of space in these comment pages.

bluegill on December 16, 2011 at 6:35 PM

So which are you, lib or moron?

angryed on December 16, 2011 at 6:33 PM

I’m going to ignore your childish name-calling. So, who do you think would be a better opponent for Obama and why? Perry? Surely not. Ron Paul? Newt Gingrich? None of these candidates would fare nearly as well as Romney in a general election. Are you going to live in fantasyland, or are you going to see reality and realize what is needed to defeat Obama.

bluegill on December 16, 2011 at 6:38 PM

Other people with executive experience before attaining political power

Bill Clinton
Jimmy Carter
Jon Corzine
George Soros

angryed on December 16, 2011 at 6:30 PM

my point about you conveniently leaving Ronald Reagan out being that great deal of the conservative argument against Obama was that he never ran anything in his life (and that was considered a bad thing), as opposed to Reagan and Bush who were both successful governors of major states before they became presidents…funny how people change the narrative conveniently, to fit their argument…so it mattered greatly that Reagan had executive experience, but in Mitt’s case it’s absolutely irrelevant…I hope you realize how ridiculous you sound…

jimver on December 16, 2011 at 6:38 PM

The funny thing is, if Romney was not in the race, I think National Review and the GOP machine would likely be touting him as the only guy who can beat Obama.

He’s a lot like your typical GOP machine candidate, that is why it’s so fun supporting him…I love gushing over his dominant debate performances and his ability to create word pictures. Much of National Review’s and other’s problem with Newtie poo is he supposedly slighted young precious Paul Ryan, never midn that Paul Ryan isn’t much more conservative than Bush was when it comes to spending and entitlements. His voting record seems to be shoved down the memory hole though.

Dr. Tesla on December 16, 2011 at 6:40 PM

jimver, he was saying being an executive doesn’t mean Romney is Conservative. I mean, it’s the part you quoted.

Hard Right on December 16, 2011 at 6:40 PM

I am going to throw it out there :) Mormonism. I don’t care about it but could that be the issue? It is my only explanation why people are jumping on the Cain and then Newt bandwagon, both those guys were freaking awful.

You forgot Romneycare which eclipses every bad thing Newt has done combined.

Farenht451 on December 16, 2011 at 6:41 PM

I meant to say National Review and the GOP machine would be touting Newt Gingrich, if Romney was not in the race.

Dr. Tesla on December 16, 2011 at 6:41 PM