South Carolina Tea Party darling Nikki Haley endorses and records robocall for Mitt Romney

posted at 2:15 pm on December 16, 2011 by Tina Korbe

To Twitter cries of “RINO” and “sellout,” Tea-Party-elected South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley endorsed former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney for president today. In an appearance on Fox and Friends, Haley said she prizes Romney’s proven ability to “turn broken companies around.” She also suggested Romney is the most electable of the 2012 GOP presidential candidates:

“Today is the day that I’m throwing all of my support behind Mitt Romney for president,”Haley said on FOX & Friends.  ”What I want was someone who is not part of the chaos that is Washington. What I wanted was someone who knew what it was like to turn broken companies around.”

Haley also argued that Romney was the only candidate that could defeat President Barack Obama next fall.

“Governor Romney is the one candidate that President Obama insistently tries to hit and get out of the way,” Haley said from South Carolina. “That lets me know he’s scared of him.”

Haley — widely described with the likes of Paul Ryan, Marco Rubio, Kelly Ayotte and others as “a rising Republican star” — would likely be on any GOP candidate’s shortlist of potential vice presidential running mates. It’s plausible she endorsed Romney in the hopes of moving up in the party, as some top talkers, including Rush Limbaugh, have suggested. It’s also plausible Romney just called in a favor: He was one of Haley’s earliest backers, campaigning for her in what FoxNews.com calls “her historic bid to become the first Indian-American woman governor of the Palmetto State.” His PAC also donated money to her campaign effort.

But a less cynical explanation is plausible, too. Perhaps Haley — upon careful consideration of Newt Gingrich, who, at this point, must be admitted as the most likely candidate to be nominated if Romney is not — decided she wanted to use her considerable weight to do whatever she could to forestall Gingrich’s nomination. If that was the case, she was not necessarily selling out her Tea Party convictions.

A few weeks ago, when I weighed Gingrich against Romney, I tipped the balance in Gingrich’s favor with this sentiment: “Romney’s signature achievement was Romneycare, while Gingrich’s signature achievement was welfare reform.” But, last night, I had a thought that tipped the balance in Romney’s favor. Both Romney and Gingrich have betrayed conservatism. But Romney’s betrayals came in a liberal state surrounded by liberals. As he put it at the debate last night, it’s hard to sneak Republican judicial nominees past a board of Democrats. In contrast, at least a few of Gingrich’s betrayals came in a conservative Congress surrounded by conservatives. It’s possible to make the case that Romney is actually conservative at his core but was circumstantially forced into supporting liberal legislation, while Gingrich is actually more pro-big-government at his core but was circumstantially forced into supporting conservative legislation.

Perhaps that’s far-fetched — and it’s very hard to say for sure what either really believes. (What can I say? They’re both great politicians!) I say this not to endorse Romney myself — clearly, I’m still very undecided about all the candidates (and my views align most closely with the underdogs) — but to try to restore faith in Nikki Haley somewhat. She could actually have made the endorsement based on what she thinks will be best for the conservative movement. At least, that’s what I’d like to believe.

Update: CNN’s Peter Hamby reports Haley has also recorded a robocall to tout Romney.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 7

She wants to win.

rubberneck on December 16, 2011 at 2:18 PM

I’ve been greatly underwhelmed with Ms. Haley. .. for quite a while.

stenwin77 on December 16, 2011 at 2:18 PM

Potential VP pick?

Chip on December 16, 2011 at 2:19 PM

When I read about this last night I thought she wants to be Veep.

It reminds me of Crist’s endorsement of McCain in FL in 2008.

INC on December 16, 2011 at 2:20 PM

I’m surprised people are so surprised about this. She was sending the signals.

aryeung on December 16, 2011 at 2:20 PM

” It’s plausible she endorsed Romney in the hopes of moving up in the party, as some top talkers, including Rush Limbaugh, have suggested.”

Until the TEA Party is an actual Party…

… when the Political Elite Ruling Class RINOs in charge of the GOP say “Jump!”, to stay in the game she has to say “How high?”

Seven Percent Solution on December 16, 2011 at 2:21 PM

As a former believer in the Tea Party, when do Tea Party members finally admit they weren’t really serious about cutting spending?

Notorious GOP on December 16, 2011 at 2:22 PM

That’s too bad, I liked her.

FloatingRock on December 16, 2011 at 2:24 PM

Good thing for Nikki the voters of SC ignored all the “electability” arguments at this stage in her race.

Kataklysmic on December 16, 2011 at 2:24 PM

Or maybe she has just got to know Romney through her interactions with him and actually thinks he’s the best candidate.

gotsig on December 16, 2011 at 2:25 PM

So much potential, but it is all for naught.

ConservativePartyNow on December 16, 2011 at 2:25 PM

Erm…who cares.

moonsbreath on December 16, 2011 at 2:25 PM

Objectively speaking, Mitt Romney is the strongest candidate. This endorsement was a no-brainer. Romney will be the nominee.

Nikki Haley is a very popular governor, and I’m happy she made this endorsement.

By the way, Tina Korbe’s writeups all seem to have an anti-Romney slant. Just pointing that out. Seems like she is pulling for Perry or Paul. Tina, please be more upfront about your biases.

bluegill on December 16, 2011 at 2:25 PM

Awesome! This is great news! I applaud all of the Tea Party members who are publicly supporting Romney.

gatorboy on December 16, 2011 at 2:25 PM

Sarah Palin next?

aryeung on December 16, 2011 at 2:25 PM

She did not have to endorse anyone at this time. There is plenty of time left to do that. So either her political inclinations are very much like Romney’s and she played the Tea Party for fools, or she sold out for personal gain. Very disappointing.

hermas42 on December 16, 2011 at 2:25 PM

I’d like Romney better if Georgette Mosbacher and the rest of the Ancien Régime of the GOP didn’t wuv Romney to pieces.

He’s gonna owe them a big debt if he actually gets elected.

fiatboomer on December 16, 2011 at 2:26 PM

I didnt vote for her don’t trust her and I was right.

standupandbecounted on December 16, 2011 at 2:26 PM

bluegill on December 16, 2011 at 2:25 PM

no doubt.. I’ve called her out on in previously.. pretty transparent IMO

gatorboy on December 16, 2011 at 2:26 PM

Hey, I guess this is what happens when you become part of the establishment. She feigns the requisite dislike for Dear Leader, and otherwise keeps in step with the establishment. It really does take someone with an independent spirit and the strength to travel to the beat of their own drum. Someone kinda like Newt…. (OK let the bombing begin…)

NOMOBO on December 16, 2011 at 2:26 PM

I’ve been greatly underwhelmed with Ms. Haley. .. for quite a while.

stenwin77 on December 16, 2011 at 2:18 PM

You and most of South Carolina. Her approval rating is in the low 30s and she’s barely staying above water with Republicans there.

amerpundit on December 16, 2011 at 2:27 PM

Romney went to MA to run for governor to give him a platform to run for president. Another Crist comparison.

Who is Romney really? What does he really think and believe about government and leading this country? There’s no there there with him. It explains his flip flops to me. I don’t know what inner principles drive him. His driving force to me always just seems to be resume enhancement. He reminds me of those in high school who run for every office because they’re used to being in charge and it’s essential to their sense of self.

Romeny’s opener about across the country people are hurting was so fake. It was almost the same phrase that my senator, Bill Nelson, used in an e-mail when I notified his office about how bad the stimulus would be. That kind of wording is used by people who don’t grasp how much people really are hurting. It’s also a demeaning phrase that is the mark of a big government guy. It’s not inspiring, nor does it recognize others on an equal basis. I find it very demeaning.

A candidate who has nothing in his wallet smaller than a $100 bill should not talk about millions of other Americans in that fashion. I’d like to hear optimism and getting regulations off the back of businesses and going after the total abolishment of Obamacare with a passion.

As for his “pretty please” line about the drone. Have you ever been to a play with really, really bad actors? Who can’t say a line without it sounding incredibly stiff and artificial? Well, that’s Romney. He didn’t even seem to deliver it with any meaning. His gestures are artificial. He looks and sounds as if he’s delivering rehearsed talking points.

I’ll not vote for Romney. If he’s elected, then I don’t think we’d see any real government reform unless it was forced on him by circumstances or by others. He’s got the GOP machine behind him and they don’t want reform.

INC on December 16, 2011 at 2:27 PM

Here is hoping she find herself in trouble in the next primary. She can count any out of state contributions from me gone.

Constitutional historian of conservative values on December 16, 2011 at 2:28 PM

Oh, and I loathe robocalls. I usually pick the phone up and hang-up immediately.

moonsbreath on December 16, 2011 at 2:29 PM

Nikki Haley is a great gov….smart decision. Practical. Pragmatic. Gotta take your pick of what’s available, and Romney is clearly the best option at this point.

therightwinger on December 16, 2011 at 2:29 PM

Again, I think some of the people are thinking of what they perceive to be electability. Honestly, I don’t know that there is much difference between Newt and Romney in the long run other than the fact that Newt might be a better debater. I’m fine with either being the candidate, but we need someone to make this president look like a child in the debates and not give him countless passes like McCain did.

Sammo21 on December 16, 2011 at 2:29 PM

Endorsements are rapidly becoming irrelevant. Monstrous amounts of information on candidates is so readily available that voters don’t really need an intermediate vouching for them. If you want to learn about Newt or Mitt or Ronnie Flowers, then you can just search for speeches, videos and position papers that they have prepared. Endorsements are little more than ways for ambitious people to put feelers out for jobs or just get on the gravy train of government influence in general. I’ll make up my own mind thank you. These political prima donnas should focus on what they were elected to do. Govern your state Haley.

Spirit Crusher on December 16, 2011 at 2:29 PM

bluegill on December 16, 2011 at 2:25 PM

Her approval rating is 34%. She’s actually less popular in South Carolina than Obama. Just 52% of Rs and 36% of Indies approve.

amerpundit on December 16, 2011 at 2:29 PM

Tina’s in the tank

aryeung on December 16, 2011 at 2:29 PM

Governor Haley (my Governor) is A-OK by me. You rock Nikki – stay strong

jake-the-goose on December 16, 2011 at 2:29 PM

Notorious GOP on December 16, 2011 at 2:22 PM

That’s really what it comes down to, that’s why the big-gov candidates lead the GOP pack. The tea party decided they prefer the status quo over spending cuts and pay no mind to the fact that this course is entirely unsustainable.

That’s why I have so little hope for he future. Democrats and Republicans are just going to keep on barreling down this path selling out the future until there is nothing left to sell.

FloatingRock on December 16, 2011 at 2:29 PM

Great move by Nikki! She proves she is a rational adult that knows how to make the tough choices rather than follow the lemmings down the rabbit hole with Alice.

csdeven on December 16, 2011 at 2:30 PM

If we’re doing identity politics and the identity is Indian-American, I could possibly digest Romney-Jindal–with some indigestion.

Jindal seems very capable. It’d be kind of nice to add a governor with an ax to grind with Obama (see Gulf oil spill).

BuckeyeSam on December 16, 2011 at 2:30 PM

amerpundit on December 16, 2011 at 2:29 PM

Bull__it

jake-the-goose on December 16, 2011 at 2:30 PM

Not that endorsements mean that much, has anyone endorsed Newt yet?

JPeterman on December 16, 2011 at 2:30 PM

And something else to keep in mind: If primary voters in SC had based their decision on electability over ideology, Haley wouldn’t be governor.

amerpundit on December 16, 2011 at 2:30 PM

Oh no, she didn’t march lockstep with the gang, burn the witch!

She has drawn the ire of the Twitter crowd, oh the horror…

reaganaut on December 16, 2011 at 2:30 PM

I never saw this coming– I saw her endorsing Newt, or maybe Bachmann. It really doesn’t make me take another look at Romney though; I’ve done my research on his record (for the most part). I think we can do better. But then, we could do better than a lot of them in the field.

-Bethany

NextGenerationVoters on December 16, 2011 at 2:31 PM

Sigh…

angryed on December 16, 2011 at 2:31 PM

FloatingRock on December 16, 2011 at 2:29 PM

But we need to have the most electable!!!!!

Notorious GOP on December 16, 2011 at 2:31 PM

bluegill on December 16, 2011 at 2:25 PM

Waaahhhh! Where’s my violin?

peski on December 16, 2011 at 2:32 PM

Bull__it

jake-the-goose on December 16, 2011 at 2:30 PM

Persuasive retort.

amerpundit on December 16, 2011 at 2:32 PM

Sometimes it is much better to keep your powder dry. And considering our options in this primary Haley would better serve her own interests by not supporting anyone until we have a Republican nominee.

NotCoach on December 16, 2011 at 2:32 PM

The Republican Party reminds me of Edgar Alan Poe’s The Masque of the Red Death. They think they can sustain the status quo even while the world is falling down around them.

FloatingRock on December 16, 2011 at 2:32 PM

INC on December 16, 2011 at 2:27 PM

Damn those rich people! How dare he even talk about people who are not in his same class???

Obama would be proud of you.

gotsig on December 16, 2011 at 2:32 PM

When Mitt Romney has the dubious distinction of presiding over America’s death rattle, I’ll at least have the small satisfaction of knowing that he did so without my vote.

2012: An echo, not a choice.

SAMinVA on December 16, 2011 at 2:32 PM

Sell out? Yes. She wants to be in the club with the rest of the good old boys.

Kaffa on December 16, 2011 at 2:32 PM

Romney’s bringing out Sununu in NH as an endorsement was a slap in the face to conservatives. It’s probably the biggest tell I’ve seen on the direction Romney would go as a president and puts Romney squarely in the big government GOP camp.

INC on December 16, 2011 at 2:32 PM

The “1%” of us in SC who pay those high taxes – love Governor Haley.

Anyone who says otherwise – is full of it – and likely carrying a GED at best.

jake-the-goose on December 16, 2011 at 2:33 PM

-Bethany

NextGenerationVoters on December 16, 2011 at 2:31 PM

This was to be expected since Romney was the first big name to endorse Haley when she was running for Governor.

GOPRanknFile on December 16, 2011 at 2:33 PM

Wow Mittens, you know how to pick your supporters.

According to a new Winthrop University poll, a paltry 34.6 percent of registered voters approve of the job Haley is doing – well below Obama’s 44.8 percent mark. Meanwhile 43 percent of voters disapprove of Haley’s job performance. Also, only a bare majority of Republicans – 52.5 percent – approve of the job Haley is doing.

angryed on December 16, 2011 at 2:33 PM

Mittens dropped the hint a week or so ago that she might be his veep choice saying there were lots of good choices but only mentioning her by name.

now seems to me this might cause a kerfuffle with Mini Me Michelle as she has been Romneys hatchet man lately allowing him to stand smug and Presidential while his rivals one by one answer to the barbs of mini me.

Both of these women will need to win re-election if mitt doesn’t ride to the rescue!
CAT FIGHT!
Mitt have you never heard of a woman scorned?

ConcealedKerry on December 16, 2011 at 2:34 PM

Not that endorsements mean that much, has anyone endorsed Newt yet?

JPeterman on December 16, 2011 at 2:30 PM

Gary Busey…oh wait…

NotCoach on December 16, 2011 at 2:34 PM

How shocking. Robo-governor records robo-call for robo-candidate.

rrpjr on December 16, 2011 at 2:34 PM

Guys, you need to stop taking crazy pills. Romney and Gingrich are both political losers, but Romney’s our loser and we can pull the strings. If you want to compare records too, Romney wins on the least awful solutions. Really. Really.

Perry is the most conservative, but alas he cannot debate but is getting better. *Praying for a Tebow/Perry miracle :)

Now, Romney is not great but Newt is better? I think people’s legitimate critique of Romney can sometimes descend into irrationality, forgiving the greater sins of other candidates.

I am going to throw it out there :) Mormonism. I don’t care about it but could that be the issue? It is my only explanation why people are jumping on the Cain and then Newt bandwagon, both those guys were freaking awful.

Come on guys, lets get our act together here :)

Can we all come together and hug, agreeing that Ron Paul is looney toons?

ConservativeLaw on December 16, 2011 at 2:34 PM

Haley also argued that Romney was the only candidate that could defeat President Barack Obama next fall.

It seems like I have to repeat this on a daily basis these days. But the GOP establishment and the Beltway conservatives better be right about this should Mittens by the Republican nominee. Because if he gets anointed despite all his glaring flaws and the inescapable fact that the base doesn’t give a rat’s you-know-what about him and then proceeds to lose to Obama(especially if it’s a bad loss), then they may as well not field a candidate in 2016 cuz the Tea Party will have broken off into its own party by then.

As for Nikki Haley, I’ll cut her some slack on this one since Romney did endorse her way back when no one had even heard of her. Which BTW was really out of character for Mittens at the time(remember how he’d endorse 90% of the GOP candidates AFTER they’d clinch the nomination?), so obviously that meant a lot to her.

Doughboy on December 16, 2011 at 2:34 PM

Well, she is right in her reasoning.

Roymunson on December 16, 2011 at 2:35 PM

Not a surprise. Just as Jindal wasn’t a surprise for Perry.

gophergirl on December 16, 2011 at 2:35 PM

At least, that’s what I’d like to believe.

That’s exactly what you’re doing. One of your prized women has done something you didn’t expect and now you’re trying to figure out why your conflicted over her decision to endorse Romney.

It is what it is, she’s paying him back for his endorsement.

Nothing more.

So far as his business acumen, from everything I’ve read and heard, he was taken kicking and screaming to every success by his partners. Nearly everything he was against and they were for, eventually turned out to be a huge money-maker.

So, his business instincts don’t seem all that great. He was fortunate to have good business partners who defied his recommendations and went on to make money.

ButterflyDragon on December 16, 2011 at 2:35 PM

Obama’s approval in SC is at 44.8%. Haley’s is at 34%. That first number is about in line with polls taken at other times from other polling companies.

amerpundit on December 16, 2011 at 2:35 PM

Mitt have you never heard of a woman scorned?

ConcealedKerry on December 16, 2011 at 2:34 PM

He’ll get back to you tomorrow on that after he polls women to know how to answer.

angryed on December 16, 2011 at 2:35 PM

I’m not under any circumstances, voting for Romney. ObamaCare has cost me and my business much.

The President, not able to get the public option, used RomneyCare for the template of ObamaCare. It is built around a core. The core is the mandate. Straight from RomneyCare.

The #1 reason I dislike this President is ObamCare.

To vote for Romney would be a crime against myself.

I am staying home on election day if he is the nominee.

Opposite Day on December 16, 2011 at 2:36 PM

Persuasive retort.

amerpundit on December 16, 2011 at 2:32 PM

Best I could offer you post. Poll quotations are silly at best. Governor Haley does not take her marching order from the anyone – including our Tea Party – she doing a great job for South Carolina.

I moved to SC from California – and the state government here is night and day over anything I have seen in 20+ years.

jake-the-goose on December 16, 2011 at 2:36 PM

bluegill on December 16, 2011 at 2:25 PM

How much clearer does she have to be to penetrate your goo goo eyes smitten for Mittens?

I say this not to endorse Romney myself — clearly, I’m still very undecided about all the candidates (and my views align most closely with the underdogs) — but to try to restore faith in Nikki Haley somewhat.

cartooner on December 16, 2011 at 2:36 PM

gotsig on December 16, 2011 at 2:32 PM

That’s ridiculous. It’s not what I meant at all and you probably know that. He’s just clueless and tries to be who he isn’t and mouths the right pc phrases.

INC on December 16, 2011 at 2:36 PM

She’s a very impressive woman, great endorsement for Romney.

Nikki Haley’s intelligence, grace and influence will be a huge asset for Romney’s campaign.

sheryl on December 16, 2011 at 2:36 PM

A sad – SAD day for TEA conservatives. Seems the GOP elite ruling-class will assimilate all the good ones given enough time.

Millions of us TEA types will not vote if Romney is the candidate!

Neox99 on December 16, 2011 at 2:37 PM

Haley is nowhere near as principled or conservative as I had thought.

No conservative with principles would ever endorse Romney. If all you care about is having someone in the WH with an (R) after their name, that’s fine. But I elect politicans to do things.

At the end of the day, this is a probable one-term governor endorsing a former one-term RINO. Nothing to see here, move along.

DRayRaven on December 16, 2011 at 2:37 PM

Not that endorsements mean that much, has anyone endorsed Newt yet?

JPeterman on December 16, 2011 at 2:30 PM

Gov Deal (GA)
Rep Barton (TX)
Rep Burgess (TX)
Rep Gingrey (GA)
Rep Harris (MD)
Rep Kingston (GA)
Rep Price (GA)
Rep Scott (GA)

GOPRanknFile on December 16, 2011 at 2:37 PM

Millions of us TEA types will not vote if Romney is the candidate!

Neox99 on December 16, 2011 at 2:37 PM

WOW – that will show the rest of us….

Millions huh?

jake-the-goose on December 16, 2011 at 2:37 PM

Kelly Ayotte also endorsed Romney, didn’t she?

nottakingsides on December 16, 2011 at 2:38 PM

Dead wrong

Obama wants Romney. Anyone who can’t see through this is a dummy and deserves Obama for 4 more.

Schadenfreude on December 16, 2011 at 2:38 PM

jake-the-goose on December 16, 2011 at 2:36 PM

You’re comparing SC to CA and the difference is because of what Haley has done in 11 months? Are you suggesting SC was like CA this time last year before she took office?

Come on.

angryed on December 16, 2011 at 2:38 PM

Now for SP to endorse Romney and then the triumverate+ of stupid women is complete.

Schadenfreude on December 16, 2011 at 2:39 PM

Opposite Day on December 16, 2011 at 2:36 PM

Blaming Romney for Obamacare is tantamount to the lefty loonies who blame gun makers for the murderer’s crime.

sheryl on December 16, 2011 at 2:39 PM

I will never understand people who take the attitude:

“it’s my candidate – or I won’t vote”

Fight as hard as you can during the primary season – then get on board – and fight to make sure the GOP’s candidate never forgets your voice and your views.

“I won’t vote” – please………..

jake-the-goose on December 16, 2011 at 2:40 PM

jake-the-goose on December 16, 2011 at 2:36 PM

Not when so many are basing their pro-Romney arguments on electability and touting Haley as a popular governor. They’re completely relevant in that case.

That may be the case. And I like the job Rick Scott is doing. His approval is still in the dumps.

amerpundit on December 16, 2011 at 2:41 PM

Haley is nowhere near as principled or conservative as I had thought.
DRayRaven on December 16, 2011 at 2:37 PM

She’s just another player.

rrpjr on December 16, 2011 at 2:41 PM

Come on.

angryed on December 16, 2011 at 2:38 PM

No – I don’t make that statement – I cannot. Sorry if I inferred that.

jake-the-goose on December 16, 2011 at 2:41 PM

WOW – that will show the rest of us….

Millions huh?

jake-the-goose on December 16, 2011 at 2:37 PM

Won’t take millions. Just 10,000 in 3 or 4 states staying home will be enough to give Obama a 2nd term. But that’s OK because Mittens will attract so many independents it won’t matter and he can give the finger to conservatives.

That strategy worked very well for President McCain.

angryed on December 16, 2011 at 2:41 PM

It’s one thing to forgive SP for endorsing that incontinent McCain for re-elect, because he literally put her on the national/international map and enabled her true riches.

It’s another to be Nikki Haley and produce such a gaffe. Whatever the reasons, she s/b punished for them.

Schadenfreude on December 16, 2011 at 2:41 PM

amerpundit on December 16, 2011 at 2:41 PM

Fair enough… I’m picking a fight – I am no Romney lover – I promise -

jake-the-goose on December 16, 2011 at 2:42 PM

It is very early for her to endorse anyone. She is probably doing it for personal gain – that VP slot. Alternatively she could be part of a larger sleeper-cell of RINOs that is being activated by Mitt.

CorporatePiggy on December 16, 2011 at 2:42 PM

I had to go to Scott because Deal’s approval is actually okay.

amerpundit on December 16, 2011 at 2:42 PM

Dead wrong

Schadenfreude on December 16, 2011 at 2:38 PM

Nothing could be further from the truth. The Obama team sees Romney’s fundraising numbers, his organization in numerous states, his resume, his poll numbers against him nationally and in swing states, and his ability to potentially put light blue states in play. Why do you think they’ve spent so much time attacking Romney while barely laying a glove on any other candidate before there’s even been one caucus/primary?

GOPRanknFile on December 16, 2011 at 2:43 PM

I don’t put a ton of weight on endorsements, but reality is that the vast majority of voters will never truly know any of these candidates. We don’t get the chance to sit down and have an indepth conversation where we can look them in the eye truly take the measure of their character.

That’s the only value I take from endorsements like this. A chance to see what the people who do actually know the candidates think about them. And then weigh that in with all other considerations.

But for people to be up in arms about anyone who endorses Romney as a sellout is a joke. Apparently these people’s judgement about Nikki Haley and the others “sellouts” who have endorsed Romney was wrong all along. If their judgement about these people was so bad, maybe they should re-evaluate their judgement skills.

I would suggest starting with how they’ve judged Romney…

gotsig on December 16, 2011 at 2:43 PM

That strategy worked very well for President McCain.

angryed on December 16, 2011 at 2:41 PM

Yep – I held my nose when I voted for McCain – almost carried a paper bag

jake-the-goose on December 16, 2011 at 2:43 PM

amerpundit on December 16, 2011 at 2:41 PM

Exactly. Romney is the man because a poll says he might beat Obama. But show any other poll that speaks ill of St. Mittens and the retort from the Mittbotts is “polls don’t mean a thing”.

angryed on December 16, 2011 at 2:43 PM

sheryl on December 16, 2011 at 2:39 PM

More like blaming the person who planned the murder for the murderer’s crime.

29Victor on December 16, 2011 at 2:43 PM

Objectively speaking, Mitt Romney is the strongest candidate.

bluegill on December 16, 2011 at 2:25 PM

You wouldn’t know an objective post if it was sitting on your face…

… For the short time you have been here, you have been a non-stop pro-Romney troll.

We get it…

… move on!

Seven Percent Solution on December 16, 2011 at 2:44 PM

angryed on December 16, 2011 at 2:43 PM

Romney is still way behind Newt remember

jake-the-goose on December 16, 2011 at 2:44 PM

Kataklysmic on December 16, 2011 at 2:24 PM

An excellent point.

DrAllecon on December 16, 2011 at 2:44 PM

No, a sellout would be her supporting Gingrich.

echosyst on December 16, 2011 at 2:44 PM

Sellout? Yes. Ditto for Christine O’Donnell.
I guess they feel the need for a hug from the GOP.

*I’ll* vote for Gingrich in the primary…but…Whatever.
All *I* want is to send Obama packing.

Czar of Defenestration on December 16, 2011 at 2:45 PM

Schadenfreude on December 16, 2011 at 2:41 PM

Palin put Haley over the top but you can make the claim that Romney put Haley on the map as well. Haley has said on numerous occasions that she was gaining momentum even before the Palin endorsement.

GOPRanknFile on December 16, 2011 at 2:45 PM

CorporatePiggy on December 16, 2011 at 2:42 PM

You forgot the /sarc tag, right? This is just comical…

gotsig on December 16, 2011 at 2:45 PM

sheryl on December 16, 2011 at 2:39 PM

Not exactly. Romneycare is the precedent “crime” upon which the later crime of Obamacare was built. Romney is the author of the crime of Romneycare, and an accomplice to the crime of Obamacare.

rrpjr on December 16, 2011 at 2:45 PM

she’s right. BRAVA!

reliapundit on December 16, 2011 at 2:45 PM

But Romney’s betrayals came in a liberal state surrounded by liberals. As he put it at the debate last night, it’s hard to sneak Republican judicial nominees past a board of Democrats. In contrast, at least a few of Gingrich’s betrayals came in a conservative Congress surrounded by conservatives.

Unfortunately, liberals dominate DC and the media too. So if Romney is really conservative at his core, he certainly doesn’t appear to have the intestinal fortitude necessary to overide the temptation to surrender to his surroundings.

JB-STLMO on December 16, 2011 at 2:45 PM

Millions of us TEA types will not vote if Romney is the candidate!

Sounds like a good plan.

At what did point did the Tea Party turn into a bunch of whiny, crybabies?

It has been at least a year, I reckon.

Maybe I can close my eyes and wish and hope weally, weally hard for the perfect candidate to win the general election, then storm into DC and smack Congress around. Maybe they can even act with EOs like Barry (which will be fine if the POTUS is a conservative, right?)

Maybe some people will wake up and see this as a long hard fight, and progress will be painfully slow, and any changes will have to “trickle up”. But no, it’s more fun to demonize the Scott Browns and Nikki Haleys of the world and hand an second term to Barry, I guess.

reaganaut on December 16, 2011 at 2:45 PM