Perry “retires” early, begins collecting state pension

posted at 6:55 pm on December 16, 2011 by Allahpundit

Yes, he’s still governor. He’s “retired” only for benefits purposes, which means he can start collecting his pension while he’s still collecting a salary. It’s perfectly legal. Just … unhelpful.

Perry makes a $150,000 annual gross salary as Texas govenor. Now, thanks to his early retirement, Perry, 61, gets a monthly retirement annuity of $7,698 before taxes, or $6,588 net. That raises his gross annual salary to more than $240,000…

[T]he disclosure is sure to spark criticism of Perry, who has called for sweeping changes to Social Security for average workers and has railed against special “perks” that members of Congress get.

“Perry was legally able to begin collecting the employee class annuity under the ‘rule of 80.’ The combination of his U.S. military service, state service and age exceeded 80 years and qualifies him for the annuity under Texas Government Code 813.503 as amended in 1991,” Sullivan said. “Perry continues to pay into the Employees Retirement System with a 6.5 percent withholding from his state salary.”…

“I do advocate totally rethinking the safety net, personal security programs completely,” Perry said in a November 2010 interview. “Why is the government collecting your tax money for retirement and health care programs? That’s not a stated constitutional role.”

He “retired” back in January, months before he decided to run for president. Had he known he was going to jump in and take withering fire from Romney on his entitlements rhetoric, I assume he’d have waited to start collecting. But it is what it is, and it’ll be thrown in his face every time the subject of Medicare or Social Security reform comes up. I don’t blame him for his logic: He paid in, he worked hard, he followed the rules, and now he wants his money. Problem is, that’s the same attitude seniors take towards federal entitlements, and if Perry beats Obama, he’ll suddenly be the guy tasked with convincing them to relax that attitude a bit in the name of our common fiscal good. How does he rally them to take one for the team and wait until, say, age 68 to enroll in Medicare if he couldn’t wait until finishing his term as governor to start taking his own pension? When I tweeted that a few hours ago, Perry fans jumped on me by answering that Democrats will smear him and attack the GOP viciously no matter what. Which is true, but how does that mitigate the potential damage here? An enemy armed with artillery is more dangerous than an enemy armed only with rifles, and this represents a bit of artillery for them insofar as they’ll use it to try to galvanize resentment against Perry’s supposed hypocrisy. Why do you think Gingrich couldn’t resist digging at Romney’s track record at Bain? Voters remember details to which they can relate personally, like pensions and layoffs. It’s not a liability that’ll sink Perry, but yeah, it’ll be used against him. Texas Democrats are already using it, in fact.

Exit question via Ace’s co-blogger Drew: “You think Chis Chistie might show up at a few events to talk about Perry’s pensions?”

video platform
video management
video solutions
video player

Comments

Comment pages: 1 4 5 6

I pale in comparison to you & the other RSers haha Ima learnin’ :D

sunshinek67 on December 17, 2011 at 10:34 PM

whatcat on December 17, 2011 at 10:34 PM

And as he also stated in his hardback edition, paraphrased ‘It can be done on a national level’, he supports the individual mandate, and his own advisors met with Obama on 3 occasions to assist drafting Obamacare. Flurry, or whoever that was earlier, was trying to make this a left leaning argument, MA full of liberals, MA liberal legislators and policies killed their budgets, or something to that effect. Problem is, Romney was one of them

sunshinek67 on December 17, 2011 at 10:39 PM

whatcat on December 17, 2011 at 10:34 PM

sunshinek67 on December 17, 2011 at 10:39 PM

I’m not sure he has stated that as a goal if he were elected. But the point still goes back to: doesn’t the state – the voters and their elected officials – have the right to decide what’s best for itself? (Besides that, Obamacare is up to THE court now.)
Also, projecting what will happen nationally based on what happened with a Governor did cuts both ways. e.g. a Presidential Executive Order mandating Gardisil or National Tuition for Illegals.

whatcat on December 17, 2011 at 10:59 PM

whatcat on December 17, 2011 at 10:59 PM

Well, at this point in where we are and what we know about Mitt Romney, suffice to say it is pretty much irrelevant to quote anything he says on any given day & the direction of the wind. Tomorrow, it invariably changes. :)

As to Perry, his EO was wrong, he admitted it was wrong and wished he had gone a different route. I give him credit there. Oh dear, do you really want to get into the instate tuition for children of illegals? 179-4 in favor of, veto proof. If Texans do not wish to have this law on their books, then they need to petition their respective legislators and tell them to change the law! Perry has made clear that he respects the 10th amendment, unlike Romney who is on record as saying that his model for healthcare reform could work on a national level. He is still on record as recent as this past week as saying that the individual mandate is good, while dismissing some of the other parts as “bad”.

sunshinek67 on December 17, 2011 at 11:14 PM

sunshinek67 on December 17, 2011 at 11:14 PM

The point being Perry didn’t fight it and , in fact, is it’s biggest promoter. Certainly, by all accounts, the “heartless” remark cost him dearly with conservatives. Also, unless Texas has a different procedure, a governor can veto a bill if he were against it and send it back to force an override vote.

sunshinek67 on December 17, 2011 at 11:14 PM

I don’t know if it would be wise to reject legitimate healthcare issue out of hand. For example, exisitng conditions are a real concern to many people who are considered un-insurable. Or catastrophic insurance not being affordable. Consider if Perry were to say to the American people “You’re on your own with those, hope it works out for you.” It would seem incredibly out of touch with people in a “let tem eat cake” way. Moreso when he’s covered for life by government healthcare even right now. It’s not class warfare or OWS concerns, but a reality for main street folks.

I don’t have a dog in this race and like most people will have little to say about which bone the party throws out to the masses. I certainly don’t think Perry has any chance at all, though he had a good rollout it’s been all downhill for him since September. So I have no concerns about him being elected. I’m just pointing out the “goose and gander”, cuts-both-ways nature of candidate A in one state and candidate B in another.

whatcat on December 17, 2011 at 11:39 PM

There is nothing wrong with the instate tuition rate for the children of illegals — the only thing wrong Perry did there was say if you don’t agree, “I don’t think you have a heart”, for which he apologized profusely (and, whatcat, don’t pretend AGAIN with me that you missed the Greta interview that I have posted TWICE for your viewing pleasure and you continue to ignore. He said the EXACT words, “I’m sorry” at the 14 min. mark). The instate rate is funded by sales tax — a tax illegals pay. It’s not for illegals in general, only their children who are here through no fault of their own. They have to jump threw several hoops to qualify. AND, it creates “taxpayers instead of taxwasters”. Perry, as a gov., cannot deport them so he did the next best thing: make them taxpayers.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on December 17, 2011 at 11:54 PM

Funny thing, whatcat, for “not having a dog in this fight”, I ONLY ever see you attack Perry. You never attacked Cain, Gingrich, Romney, Bachmann… sorry in advance if I’m mistaken, but I’ve honestly never seen you complain about any other candidate other than Perry.

Aslans Girl on December 17, 2011 at 11:56 PM

Aslan’s Girl, the Perry Haters just gotta hate. (We get the same thing on RedState, just not to quite the same extent as here at HotAir. I commend you for your courage.) The fact that they’re making such a fuss over this little thing just shows that they’re more than eager to jump on anything that might hurt him. (This one won’t hurt him anymore than The Rock That Nobody Found, but I digress…) They accused everyone of doing the same to Herman Cain when HE was being attacked. That game works both ways, I see. The fact of the matter, however, is that tapping into your retirement money is HARDLY comparable to women accusing you of sexual harassment.

louisianapatriette on December 18, 2011 at 12:06 AM

Aslans Girl on December 17, 2011 at 11:54 PM

It’s okay with you, but I’m guessing you’re in the minority on that.

Actually, this is thee first time I’ve noticed your link, thank you. But when a person screws-up badly and say’s “I’m sorry” after he’s been called on it, I think a goodly number of folks apply the old axiom “Yeah, sorry he got caught”. However, I think what people are really ticked about is that he’s not sorry for/repentant of the tuition program itself.

whatcat on December 18, 2011 at 12:07 AM

avagreen on December 17, 2011 at 10:29 PM

*waves, jumps up and down* Howdy, friend!

whatcat on December 18, 2011 at 12:07 AM

Who’s still talking about instate tuition??? I haven’t heard anything about that in months.

Question. You say you have no dog in this race, but IF the election were tomorrow, who would you lean towards, whatcat?

louisianapatriette on December 18, 2011 at 12:14 AM

Aslans Girl on December 17, 2011 at 11:56 PM

Maybe it’s because you’re over-sensitive when it comes to Perry. I don’t mean “over-sensitive” as an insult – more just that what a person concentrates on is what they tend to notice more.
For example, you obviously missed my ongoing mocking of Tim Pawlenty and his sleep-inducing campaign videos.

whatcat on December 18, 2011 at 12:19 AM

whatcat on December 18, 2011 at 12:07 AM

To your first point: in Texas, the MAJORITY of the REPUBLICAN legislature supported it… it was pragmatic (wanting them to be taxpayers), not for love of illegals.

To your second point, you’ve moved the goalposts. For months all you ever said to me was (paraphrase) “did Perry use the exact phrase ‘I’m sorry’” and now that you finally see my link (and yes, this is the third time I’ve posted it for you), you say, not good enough. :rollseyes:

It’s like when stenwin said that Perry should get a debate coach and when he did and improved, she said it was just laughable that he needed one (as if no other candidate gets that training — Perry’s coach is actually Bachmann’s former one). Moving goalposts is a specialty of the anti-Perrys; I’ve learned that over the months.

Aslans Girl on December 18, 2011 at 12:19 AM

whatcat on December 18, 2011 at 12:19 AM

T-Paw? You want to go back to May to prove you pick on other candiates?! LOL. I was referring to something a bit more recent than ole T-Paw.

Actually, T-Paw’s ads were the BEST part of his candidacy, lol!

Aslans Girl on December 18, 2011 at 12:20 AM

louisianapatriette on December 18, 2011 at 12:06 AM

Which is why I’m glad so many Perry supporters (yourself included!) have registered recently, it balances things a bit :)

BTW, I never got to respond to your post to me last week — so glad to find another Narnia fan! I’ve been reading them since I was eight years old and make sure to read them at least once a year. They are “home” for me. I also fell in love with Lewis’ Space Trilogy, especially Perelandra which is one the most beautiful books I’ve ever fallen into. I just love Lewis :)

Aslans Girl on December 18, 2011 at 12:24 AM

whatcat on December 18, 2011 at 12:19 AM

I haven’t too many kind words for either of the two current presumed frontrunners. It’s a miserable lot, but some are worse than others. But when somebody’s down (and I’d say “out”) like Perry is, poking fun just isn’t fun anymore. Noting that the issue this blog post is about, the non-retirement retirement bucks, comes off as tonedeaf is just an observation.

As I said, I’m stuck, like most people, with whomever the party eventually throws out to go against Obama.

Actually, T-Paw’s ads were the BEST part of his candidacy, lol!
Aslans Girl on December 18, 2011 at 12:20 AM

Oy, lay down whatever you’re smoking there!
Actually, as I noted when he first declared, Perry had a great ad. He actually does some really good ads, even though I don’t think they’ll help much now.

whatcat on December 18, 2011 at 12:34 AM

whatcat on December 18, 2011 at 12:34 AM

Oh, I’m not smoking anything, lol, I just meant out of T-Paw’s whole boooooring and snooze-worthy campaign, his ads were the least of his problems ;)

Aslans Girl on December 18, 2011 at 1:27 AM

whatcat on December 18, 2011 at 12:34 AM

Aslans Girl on December 18, 2011 at 1:27 AM

Ah, well, it’s an area that I’ve done a lot of work in (video production) so it’s something I’m “over-sensitive” about. Especially the awful heavy synthesized music. Perry’s ads are better, in that he’s good at talking to the camera and doesn’t overdo it on the FX.
Too many politicians end up with a horrible cross between a bad MTV vid and the BOOM-type shock sound FXs like you hear in horror movies or “Law & Order”.
What works best is a “donut spot” which has a quick music intro & logo, then the pitch, then out with the music/logo again. Simple and to the point.

Past my bedtime here. Have a good night!

whatcat on December 18, 2011 at 1:48 AM

Some News worth actually reading. Perry is rock solid, the absolute best the GOP has to offer. Get your heads out of your butts people. Obama wants to make 2012 about anything other than the economy. Rick Perry is the face of American job creation. With him as our nominee Obama will be forced to defend his record because Perry will be comparing it to his own. Lest we all forget Rick Perry inherited George Bush’s economy also!!! I for one can’t wait for Obama to try and blame Bush with Rick Perry standing across from him. Nominate Romney and 2012 is about his failures in Massachusetts, vulture capitalism and his habit of flip flopping. Nominate Newt and 2012 is about scandals, lobbying and Newts character. Nominate Perry and 2012 is about the economy and job creation and that folks is a debate that we can win. It is going to take a strong record of success and a proven economic philosophy to beat Obama and his minions in the press. Rick Perry delivers both.
Take a moment and research a candidate that you can be proud to support.

iidvbii on December 18, 2011 at 4:09 AM

whatcat on December 18, 2011 at 12:07 AM

Why should he be “repentant”?

My own axiom I’ve repeated before, sometimes the choices in life are between “chitty” and “more chitty”. Perry has chosen the “less chitty” solution to a Federal problem as they won’t allow us to deport, but makes Texas pay the healthcare, schooling, and prison care ($500B annually).
He’d rather make “taxpayers” vs. “tax users” per Aslan’s girl.

As a Texan I’ll offer my opinion as to the politics of each. Note that border security and immigration control are Federal issues. Texas like other border & Gulf states has a big trading partner in Mexico..So from FL – CA you have enormous trade with Mexico that goes to both state & national GDP.

1. Instate Tuition was enacted in Texas to avoid civil & federal lawsuits. 38% of legal citizens in Texas are Tejanos and a large chunk of these are multi-generational Texicans who have family and commerce on both sides of the border going back over 100 years. Has has been the case since the earliest days of the Republic. Most who move here to Texas settle in Texas and become legal Texans. Perry pissed off a lot of people over the Anti-Sanctuary City bill (Most of Houston) which is why Strauss tabled it.

2. TTC was an idea to improve rural roads and highways without Texans paying for it or relying on federal funds…Deal was shotdown during the study phase & never went into effect. Ranchers raised hell. It was tied to other ideas for development from NAFTA like the Inland Port development idea…again never went into effect.

3. Bi-National healthcare idea. Perry & other legislators promoted a feasibility study to see if Mexico could help foot the bill on healthcare for squatters in the Colonias along the border. Texas isn’t allowed to deport squatters in the colonias but Texas is under order from federal court to school them. The state has cut off services hoping they would migrate back to Mexico and then another liberal organization shows up to sue the state for discrimination…It’s a crooked mess with a-holes on both sides of the border exploiting everything they can with the Feds doing their level best to mess it up based on the way political wind blows.

3. The simple truth is this…The Federal Govt. won’t deport 12 million people back to Mexico…Not in this economy.

4. The Federal Govt. won’t secure the border unless a border governor does it…everybody else will punt in an out of sight out of mind way and we will be stuck in the legal quagmire we are in now.

5. The best solution is boots on the ground and a serious focus on cartel activity. If there is a strong show of force both migration back south will increase & likely Mexico will start to get a handle on the trouble. The schitzo policy is a mess just like every other schitzo policy.

6. Texans want to clean it up without messing up the economy…So does Mexico.
Building a wall in the middle of a river doesn’t make sense, and damming the Rio Grande as it goes into New Mexico won’t fly either. But having troops and bass and surveillance & enforcement will.

Perry isn’t perfect…But Texans an ornery bunch keep electing him cause he does his job for Texas. He’ll do the best he can for the nation. It won’t be perfect according to purists but he won’t do a Reagan Amnesty ( He’s for guest worker which means documentation and taxation and cleaning up the immigration courts & prosecuting the grafters)

He probably knows more about Border Issues and Mexico and The economies from FL-CA then anybody in the race including most of DC…

Perry is a politician who can form consensus and lead which is crucial with the border as he’ll have to work with the governors of each border state.If he is effective at it he will make serious inroads into Democratic support in the Hispanic base which ill benefit the GOP decades out, IMHO.

It is because of the Texas Economy that he can beat Obama….All Obama will have is scaring seniors (Romney’s tactic) and women and gays.

This election will be about the economy.

BTW, 13 other states also have in-state tuition, and even the hypocrite Bachmann voted for the same law in Minnesota. http://minnesota.publicradio.org/collections/special/columns/polinaut/archive/2011/09/in-state_tuitio.shtml
Are you beating on these other states, saying they “should apologize” or just Texas and Perry?

avagreen on December 18, 2011 at 7:48 AM

Perry will go the distance.he aint quitting no matter what the liberal media says.and he will win…he is the most qualified conservative candidate we have….trust me he will play to win..

randyinrocklin on December 18, 2011 at 11:22 AM

He tells them they will not have to take one for the team. Everyone is SOL.

Fascinating the most vocal critics on this thread are the AntiPerry Newtbars, despite the chameleon having a hypocrisy excretion on this very issue. If the news ever breaks that Newt’s right hand collected his congressional pension while the left hand collected Freddie Mac funds, they’ll defend Newt from the same arguments used against Perry here.

That will be a sight to see.

rukiddingme on December 18, 2011 at 11:28 AM

Worst. Campaign. Ever.
MadisonConservative on December 16, 2011 at 6:59 PM

Not. Even. Close. Bud.

rukiddingme on December 18, 2011 at 11:31 AM

I can’t stand to see Perry supporters keep standing on this while ignoring the fact, no matter how many times I post it, that only 19% of new Texas jobs from 2007 to 2011 went to Americans. The other 81% went to newly arrived immigrants, and 50% of those, full 40%, went to illegal aliens.

It’s not a fact. It’s liberal math at its’ finest. Hint: 279 – 129 = 150, not 225.

Excellent multiplication skills upthread, good solid A+.

Failing subtraction and analytical skills, good solid B+.

Texas has a business climate where they are encouraging an endless supply of illegal labor to boost its growth, at the cost of American workers.

Ah, another example of failing analytical skills, good solid B+.

Will Perry do the same for the U.S.?

cane_loader on December 17, 2011 at 10:13 AM

He hasn’t done that for Texas, so it’s doubtful. Can’t say the same about Newt.

rukiddingme on December 18, 2011 at 11:52 AM

College Financial Aid for illegals in Texas

It has rarely been touched on but not only do illegals in Texas eligible for instate tuition, but they are also eligible for Texas,not federal, financial aid.

Is financial aid available for illegal aliens and undocumented students?

Financial aid is generally not available for undocumented students. The majority of all student aid, including federal student aid, requires the recipient to be a US citizen or permanent resident (green card holder) or an eligible non-citizen. Texas is one of a few states that allow undocumented students to qualify for state aid. Lone Star College System has several state grants available to undocumented students. To apply, complete the TASFA (Texas Application for State Financial Assistance) available at the “College For All Texans” website.

smokin hot politics on December 18, 2011 at 11:56 AM

whatcat on December 18, 2011 at 12:07 AM

Why should he be “repentant”?
avagreen on December 18, 2011 at 7:48 AM

You’re fine with it, which is understandable; it would be the same with supporters of any other candidate, they would defend perceived failings in their candidates, too.

Although, you’re in the minority on it- so it’s very likely all for nought.
2012 Republican Presidential Nomination (RCP polling data)
But, obviously, it’s your right to support whomever you wish.

whatcat on December 18, 2011 at 12:12 PM

avagreen on December 18, 2011 at 7:48 AM

Well done Amigo!

workingclass artist on December 18, 2011 at 12:18 PM

smokin hot politics on December 18, 2011 at 11:56 AM

Aside from doing this to stay out of court, since enacting this bill Texas has seen dramatic improvement in HS scores and graduation rates among Latino students.

Now Texas has been forced to do a lot of things because of liberal federal policies and Texans made a choice to do everything we can to not become a failed state along the lines of California.

The instate tuition bill along with the anti-sanctuary city bill (Which Perry pushed and Strauss quashed) will come up again for review in the next session.

workingclass artist on December 18, 2011 at 12:24 PM

whatcat on December 18, 2011 at 12:12 PM

You’re more than a little blind on the issue, whatcat. You obviously don’t live in a state that’s impacted that much by the Fed’s refusal: (1) to defend the border, (2) are being overrun by illegals as a result, (3) is having your state coffers being drained by the same.

It’s not a “failing” to think outside of the box in order to create the best of a bad situation over which none of us have any control………how would you like to have 100 people camped out on your front lawn for which you have to feed, provide healthcare,and pay for their stays in prison? You’re not allowed to make them move and when you attempt to, you’re sued. When you try to round them up and take them off your lawn, the powers-that-be that are in charge of taking them off your hands, simply release them again on your lawn?

What would you do? What if you saw a way out of this bad situation by educating these folk so that they can eventually move off your front lawn? Would you consider that a “failing”? Really??

What would you do??? pray tell……what would be your solution? Tell.

@workingclasartist: ;) ….does it sound familiar?

avagreen on December 18, 2011 at 12:34 PM

New Forbes List:

“Our top ranked area, Houston, is one of only four regions that enjoyed net job growth in manufacturing in the past 10 years. This year its heavy manufacturing sector expanded by almost 5%. Houston’s industrial growth is no fluke; over the past year its overall job growth has been about the best among all the nation’s major metros.

Houston’s industrial success owes much to the city’s massive port and booming energy sector, says Bill Gilmer, senior economist at the Federal Reserve office of Dallas. “Houston is about energy — it’s about fabricated metals and machinery,” he says. “It’s oil service supply and petrochemicals. It’s all paced by a high price of oil and new technology that makes it more accessible.”

This shift towards domestic energy augurs well for a huge and economically beneficial shift in America’s longer term economic prospects, he points out. Cheap natural gas, for example, makes petrochemical production in America more competitive than anyone could have imagined a decade ago. Linkages with Mexico in terms of energy as well as autos has made Texas — which is also home to No. 4 ranked San Antonio and No. 15 ranked Dallas — the nation’s primary export super-power, with current shipment 15% to 20% above pre-crisis levels.”

4 of the top 5 Best performing cities are in Texas
2011 rank 2010 rank
1 14 San Antonio, TX MSA
2 9 El Paso, TX MSA
3 50 Fort Collins-Loveland, CO MSA
4 2 Austin-Round Rock, TX MSA
5 1 Killeen-Temple-Fort Hood, TX MSA

(Texas has 7 out of the top 20)

Gov. Perry can do for the country what he’s done for Texas…Spur Economic Growth.

Makes me want to hurl that Mitt & his new Tool Gov. Haley are saying they will move the Federal Got. out of the way…Aside from Romneycare does Mitt ever think of anything on his own?

workingclass artist on December 18, 2011 at 12:40 PM

avagreen on December 18, 2011 at 12:34 PM

What would whatcat do…hmmmm…Build an expensive meandering border fence a mile inside the Rio Grande cutting off part of a border city?

““People up north have no clue what a sham this (fence) has been. It has been a waste of their tax dollars, and it’s affecting their kids’ education, their parents’ social security and their health care,” Moncivaiz said.

Cuellar weighs in

U.S. Rep. Henry Cuellar, D-Laredo, who serves as ranking member of the Subcommittee on Border, Maritime and Global Counterterrorism, says the local community is right to voice concerns. He agrees that the fence was not the most efficient way to secure the border.

“I certainly agree with the locals in saying that the most cost-effective way in securing that border is more security at the border, more personnel and more technology,” he said.

Cuellar said the estimated cost of each mile of fence is about $7.5 million, and he believes the federal government would do better to spend money on technology, which could cost about $1 million per mile.

He strongly opposes the estimated $350 million in cuts recommended for border security funding. Not only would it affect the Border Patrol but programs such as Operation Stonegarden, which provides grants to the sheriff’s department for border operations, he said.

“Of course we have a deficit budget issue and we need to have deficit reduction, but we’ve got to be smart on how we cut. … When you cut $350 million from border security, are we saying that the border is not a priority for our budget?” Cuellar said.

“I am glad some of the local folks in the Brownsville and Cameron County area are saying this. This is what we have been saying,” he said.

No man’s land…”

workingclass artist on December 18, 2011 at 12:54 PM

whatcat on December 18, 2011 at 12:12 PM

avagreen on December 18, 2011 at 12:34 PM

Actually all of the contiguous states are adversely impacted by the screwups of border states. That’s why I said you’re in a minority and it’s a big contributing factor in Perry’s low poll numbers. That is, you’re fine with how things are being done in your locale – but voters in other states are ticked off.
But with the numbers being so low for Perry, it’s all pretty much moot now. All a person can do now is observe that it was a part of his slide into irrelevance, as they would note the allegations against Cain helped bring his own candidacy down.

whatcat on December 18, 2011 at 12:55 PM

louisianapatriette on December 18, 2011 at 12:14 AM

Howdy, louisianapatriette! **waving back**
Looks like we are increasing in numbers over here. ;)

avagreen on December 18, 2011 at 2:16 PM

…was a part of his slide into irrelevance, as they would note the allegations against Cain helped bring his own candidacy down.

whatcat on December 18, 2011 at 12:55 PM

What allegations would that be, whatcat?

Don’t tell me you are falling for that pitiful canard that Cain put out, while thrashing about in trying to deny these stories, about Perry’s camp being the one that leaked his sorry story?

The same Cain camp that later recanted that allegation, only to have Cain stumble around a few hours again to repeat it again (example of the typical disarray in Cain’s campaign) ?

Please don’t destroy the respect that I started to grow for you last night.

You may not respect RS, but surely you do Erik Ericson, the editor of RS, who is a respected journalist on Human Events……he had an article several weeks back in which he stated his “insiders” had told him that this leak was “leaked” by one of Cain’s own former restaurant board members who knew his history and didn’t want the board to endorse him as they were planning to do. They didn’t ever endorse him, which is highly unusual (his own former restaurant board didn’t endorse him)…..which would seem to back up EE’s article.
Perhaps it was this board member(s)…

…But one source closely familiar with Cain’s tenure in Washington confirmed that the claims related to allegations of sexual harassment – behavior that disturbed members of the board who became aware of it, as well as the source, who otherwise liked Cain….
Information about the incidents was apparently closely held, even among association board members. But one woman’s complaint apparently did make its way to at least some figures on the governing board when, at an association event, one board member got word that a female employee had complained about Cain’s advances, according to a source who was at the event.

The source said the board member asked the woman directly about the episode and was told that Cain had invited her up to his suite at a prior association event…

Cain’s demise came about by Cain himself, not anyone else, for which he was busy everyone/everything but himself for. Typical loser.

avagreen on December 18, 2011 at 2:38 PM

Regarding his “sinking poll” or whatever you said.

Perry’s support in the polls is actually rising and he’s back in double digits in Iowa for the first time in weeks.

An Insider Advantage poll released earlier this week showed Perry with 13 percent of the vote in Iowa, placing him third behind former House Speaker Newt Gingrich and Rep. Ron Paul. Perry is now statistically tied with former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney in Iowa.

Both Cavuto and Wallace said Perry won the last debate.

avagreen on December 18, 2011 at 2:53 PM

avagreen on December 18, 2011 at 2:38 PM

And I think you’ll find that most folks agree that Perry’s collapse was likewise by his own hand. That’s the exact point I made. Of course, you’re welcome to disagree and say voters don’t think Perry had anything to do with his fall.

whatcat on December 18, 2011 at 3:16 PM

I can’t believe this thread is still going. Perry is great and will win the nomination. we give up.

gerrym51 on December 18, 2011 at 4:15 PM

gerrym51 on December 18, 2011 at 4:15 PM

Spend some time over at RS, these guys have debates about the all time greatness of Perry. Is he just merely greatest of this generation, or is he the greatest of all time. And has Tebow’s success been inspired by, and should be credited to, Perry.

smokin hot politics on December 18, 2011 at 4:38 PM

what is RS

gerrym51 on December 18, 2011 at 4:56 PM

what is RS

gerrym51 on December 18, 2011 at 4:56 PM

You guys force us into by inane posts such was what whatcat made/makes. Gonna pick of my guy, I’m gonna refute.

avagreen on December 18, 2011 at 5:01 PM

what is RS

gerrym51 on December 18, 2011 at 4:56 PM

RedState

smokin hot politics on December 18, 2011 at 5:01 PM

……while avoiding the facts I present to prove him wrong.

;)
Ya know….no one is forcing you guys to read this if you don’t wanna.

avagreen on December 18, 2011 at 5:03 PM

Sorry for the typos…..just woke up.

avagreen on December 18, 2011 at 5:06 PM

smokin hot politics on December 18, 2011 at 5:01 PM

thanks, redstate did not occur to me.

gerrym51 on December 18, 2011 at 5:15 PM

I’m not knocking Perry for taking what the Texas retirement system provides. Having said that, why is he able to collect retirement while still working? I see this more and more as government workers keep getting perk afer perk on the backs of taxpayers. I like the situation where the retiree takes off his state uniform only to put on a coat and tie and do the same job. He then gets salary and retirement. Bull$hit…Get out of the way and let someone else have your job. Retirement pay should strictly be for those who actually retire…Hogs feeding at the government trough.

Nozzle on December 18, 2011 at 5:35 PM

I liked ya, Perry, but….goodbye. Sorry, but I think it ain’t happenin’, guv. You’re smart and I like your straightforward manner, but you aren’t resonating with America with these timing gaffes.

patriotmom1776 on December 18, 2011 at 6:26 PM

Why doesn’t Perry donate his $$ to illegals’ education?

Redford on December 18, 2011 at 6:36 PM

Why doesn’t Perry donate his $$ to illegals’ education?

Redford on December 18, 2011 at 6:36 PM

Great thought, why not write the govenors of the other 13 states that have in-state tuition, and Bachmann to do the same?

avagreen on December 18, 2011 at 8:48 PM

avagreen on December 18, 2011 at 8:48 PM

Zinger!! Texas doesn’t pay for the instate tuition, it merely allows children of illegals to go to school there. They have to apply for citizenship before they qualify, too.

The horse is dead, Jim. Stop beating it.

louisianapatriette on December 18, 2011 at 9:10 PM

Perry wished to keep secret his own fat government retirement at age 61 while he preached up raising the retirement age of ordinary Americans. And now he has been outed. Got it.

No matter how low Perry goes, it’s always only a prelude to his next imbecile move.

kunegetikos on December 18, 2011 at 9:55 PM

kunegetikos on December 18, 2011 at 9:55 PM

Ahhhh……I see you DIDN’T pass Mindreading 101, either.

What is there to hide? If he wanted to hide it, he’d never disclosed it when he filed the personal financial disclosure statement. It’s not like someone had to scope this out. It is public knowledge.

As explained by the Austin Statesman, Texas law allows state employees to take retirement once their age plus their years of service add up to 80. The 61 year old Perry has held one position or another with the state since he was employed as agricultural commissioner in 1991, and he filed to start receiving his annuity last January.

Perry continues to pay 6.5% of his salary as governor into the Employees Retirement System, which will further increase his retirement payment once his term ends in 2015.

avagreen on December 18, 2011 at 10:51 PM

While the rest of the *candidates* are all talking a big game governor Perry is delivering results.
Talk is cheap and we have had enough BS this time around to fertilize the moon.

Romney 47th in job creation in a good economy. 34% approval rating at the end of his first term prevented him from being able to run for re-election with any credibility, even after all those liberal policies he *compromised* on.

Newt a career corupticrat with no executive experience. Claims the successes of the 90′s for himself though he conveniently leaves out the cuts to the DOD he helped pass to balance those budgets. Wonder how many families lost loved ones in Iraq and Afghanistan becuase our troops didn’t have kevlar or armored vehicles but hey Newt balanced Clinton’s budgets.

Rick Perry #1 economy in America, #1 in job creation, incredibly popular 3 term governor and an eagle scout as well as a proud veteran. I honestly can’t see how anyone could vote for Romney or Newt when we have the good governor of Texas on our bench. It’s truly mind blowing.

iidvbii on December 19, 2011 at 1:47 AM

sunshinek67 on December 17, 2011 at 11:14 PM

Fair or unfair, Hot Air would call Perry a flip-flopper for what you just credited him with.

scotash on December 19, 2011 at 4:14 AM

scotash on December 19, 2011 at 4:14 AM

Flipflopper?

What would you have called it if he hadn’t backed down on this issue? He responded to what the public said. Is there anyway Perry can win with this crowd? Sheesh!

Opinions are worthless if this filled with this much rabid animus.

I suppose whomever you are supporting has …..never…….made…….a…..mistake and then….admitted it…..and changed his/her opinion???? Or, maybe you candidate just never admits it?? Unless you are saying your candidate is tantamount to Christ?

You do realize how ridiculous your statement sounds?

avagreen on December 19, 2011 at 6:35 AM

Using your analogy, the framers of the Constitution were “flip-floppers”…with all those amendments and such. ;)

avagreen on December 19, 2011 at 6:38 AM

Meanwhile, Ron Paul doesn’t even participate in the Congressional Pension, and returns other Congressional funds every year.

NewLiberty on December 16, 2011 at 7:23 PM

He doesn’t need it. He got rich writing (or lending his name to) racist newsletters.

cptacek on December 19, 2011 at 8:14 PM

This guy is a rank amateur until he charges the state per diem for living in his own home.

benny shakar on December 20, 2011 at 4:21 AM